kimbottles

Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

Huh?

I thought we were talking about a boat. I must have the wrong thread.

This must be the MOODY BLUES thread.

Reality is such a bore.

Kim, that pic with a dremel with a small grinding stone sitting on those massive steel beams says it all about this build.

In the dictionary under how to make sure a keel NEVER falls of, there are already picks of this boat.

Any shots of the forestay chain plate, I see the holes in the bulkhead but I've never seen what you are putting up there, All in good time will be good too.

Gotta say, looks awesome, A boat built to musical instrument (fucken cat and his mouse again)

specks.

• Downvote 1

Went sailing on the James Craig on Sunday and I thought about Mr. Perry's sail trim position. Got a bit confusing so maybe someone could fill me in on the correct commands for trimming these puppies,,,,,,,,,

How is she hanging Global? I bought more than a few tickets in the Porsche lottery to get her afloat?

OK, Bob hear you loud and clear:

Maybe we don't have a keel yet, but we have keel floors and a support for the jacking mast step (well most of the floors anyway, got to wait for the Chockfast to harden before Fred can peel off the masking of the surrounding floors to finish up that last floor.)

(And to think I thought I wanted wood floors.....well I did until Tim straighten my thinking out. Something about keel loads crushing the wood.....)

Plus the fact that any small pinhole would lead eventually to a hollow FG shell with no structural support.

"Schimmel made a few aluminum pianos for the Hindenberg and her sister ships. Very light."

You see, that's why we keep Paul around.

I have my uses. Commander.

Emergency, emergency! All out in street!

Oh, the humanity, etc.

Paul I love you in a pysilosyban (sp) kind of way.

Any shots of the forestay chain plate, I see the holes in the bulkhead but I've never seen what you are putting up there, All in good time will be good too.

Titanium thanks to Sailglobal's help.....forestay chainplates at bottom of picture.........before polishing.

post-8115-0-69607800-1360675856_thumb.jpg

When we raft, I'll be ready to spelunk. Blueish headlamp, or full spectrum? Or will you (dare I even say this?) have the spaces lit?

They make motion-activated LED lamps that you just stick in place now. We have a couple in dark closet areas. Cheap and nice, no more straining to see or straining even harder to figure out where one of our dozens of flashlights has hidden this time. ;)

We need a linky!!

Let there be light!

Paps, Samuel Johnson (aka The Good Doctor) always said it was a poor mind that could only think of one way to spell a word. (Snaggy might agree...:))

If I read the intent of your spelling correctly, I do look on my iPad as a doorway to perception when I fire up CA, Kim division.

Paps, Samuel Johnson (aka The Good Doctor) always said it was a poor mind that could only think of one way to spell a word. (Snaggy might agree... :))

If I read the intent of your spelling correctly, I do look on my iPad as a doorway to perception when I fire up CA, Kim division.

Well yes Amati, I do think you got the drift. Doorway to perception is a lovely way to put it. Who knew classical musos were so trippy?

Raise kid on programmatic contrapuntal music and modern abstract art. Encourage kid to read through an entire small town library before the age of 15. Mix liberally with post 60's interdisciplinary intellectual matrices. Accept that Bill Walton and Tom Scott were on to something with the philosophy of sport. Extend said idea through philosophy of value. Study with John Ward, Charles Seeger and Albert Lord...

Classical music is the most dangerous art form ever developed. And now it morphs into other disciplines.

I am not alone.

Open the pod bay door, Hal.

Last night I gave a talk at the Poulsbo Yacht Club. Kim picked me up at the ferry and drove me to the yc.

Of course I wowed the crowd with my effervescent personality, great wit and charm but I was running out of steam after a bit more than an hour so I called Kim up to talk about his boat.

This worked great. So well that when we finished a guy from the local CCA chapter asked me and Kim if we would give a talk to them. Kim said he'd do it if I would. I said fine.

I'm thinking if we can knock them dead in Poulsbo, Las Vegas should be calling soon.

I'll get Gary Puckett and the Union Gap to open for us.

Thanks Kim for helping me out last night.

Maybe that was you hanging out between the clock tower and the CAB buildng on Red Square, but maybe that was too long ago.

'76-'79?

Bob...Noticed you were on PYC's calendar, but my wife had a birthday party planned for me last night. Would have enjoyed attending though.

Posted more pics from this weeks shoot at the NWSWB including some of ongoing work on Sliver.

My daughter and I will be shooting the school, projects, staff, students as well as off campus projects, for the next eight weeks or so.

http://s174.photobuc...mview=slideshow

Last night I gave a talk at the Poulsbo Yacht Club. Kim picked me up at the ferry and drove me to the yc.

Of course I wowed the crowd with my effervescent personality, great wit and charm but I was running out of steam after a bit more than an hour so I called Kim up to talk about his boat.

This worked great. So well that when we finished a guy from the local CCA chapter asked me and Kim if we would give a talk to them. Kim said he'd do it if I would. I said fine.

I'm thinking if we can knock them dead in Poulsbo, Las Vegas should be calling soon.

Perry Bottles Splinter? Well, the boat formerly known as Splinter.

Good vintage.

Roadshow!

I would have come too if I'd known. Had to work late yesterday though. Want to give the talk to CYC Edmonds? We'd love it.

Great pics Boomer!

Good vintage.

Roadshow!

First she was "Splinter", then she somehow became "Sliver" I wonder what is next......

Good vintage.

Roadshow!

First she was "Splinter", then she somehow became "Sliver" I wonder what is next......

Toothpick?

Maybe that was you hanging out between the clock tower and the CAB buildng on Red Square, but maybe that was too long ago.

'76-'79?

Yep. Marine Studies and Crafts.

Sub basement of music building and health sciences complex. Ethnomusicology and biophysiology of musack-k-k-k-k-k.

My apologies to Billy J.

I would happily buy a ticket to this show!

Posted more pics from this weeks shoot at the NWSWB including some of ongoing work on Sliver.

My daughter and I will be shooting the school, projects, staff, students as well as off campus projects, for the next eight weeks or so.

Is there a coffee table book of photos in the works?

Bob, I know who these guys are thru my Mom. She is currently riddled with dimentia related issues...but I know who they are and have heard their music.

I'd come see Bob Perry, Gary Puckett and Kim Bottles any day!

Even us 'young guys' have a li'l bit of culture...maybe. B)

That sounds like a lot of work, maybe after I retire from working.

Actually Kim its not that difficult these days we did one online for our daughters 21st. She was wrapped.

Is there a coffee table book of photos in the works?

That would be up to Kim's discretion.

One of Austin's many projects is a new web site for the school. Kim recommended us, since we'll be shooting the Sliver project to completion. My daughter will be shooting in Astoria this week, so another guest photographer will join in to give his individual style on Tuesday's shoot.

Some more images have been added to the Sliver portfolio as well.

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/boomer1954/Sliver%20Project/?albumview=slideshow

President's Day here in the States. Holiday and no work scheduled up at the Sliver project. But brother-in-law John and I decided to go have a look anyway. Nice to have the boat all to ourselves without the hustle and bustle of all of the activities of the Traditional Large Craft class off of our port stern quarter. I did miss my crew, they are always positive and fun to visit with.

Looks like the sail-drive unit has made it into the hull. Nice, small and compact. Apparently Yanmar failed to provide the correct engine mounts for a sail-drive installation, so the engine will have to sit until the right ones arrive.

post-8115-0-52878200-1361233652_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-96977800-1361233662_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-31640700-1361233672_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-95265600-1361233688_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-43091400-1361233706_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-07492500-1361233715_thumb.jpg

The keel floors and mast step support are all fully installed and chockfasted and bolted up to the girder just waiting for a load.

post-8115-0-87814000-1361233957_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-89195600-1361233976_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-01520100-1361233989_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-14423000-1361234001_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-22575400-1361234021_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-13291900-1361234035_thumb.jpg

Without the crew there I was able to take my shoes off and climb around inside the boat without getting in their way. It seems like a nice space, very reminiscent of our old Swede 55 but with more room. Of course with the deck suspended 8 feet off the deck shelf level she has plenty of headroom for the time being.

post-8115-0-33301900-1361234209_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-22234400-1361234222_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-54713100-1361234229_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-82716100-1361234246_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-59095100-1361234259_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-63476800-1361234274_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-12227100-1361234286_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-20434900-1361234304_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-34928700-1361234313_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-49969000-1361234331_thumb.jpg

At some point in the visit I noticed the "soft patch" hatch for expanded engine access has been cut into the suspended deck/cockpit/cabin unit hanging over my head. I am not sure when that was done, might have been weeks ago as I don't usually look up when I am walking around the hull surrounding scaffolding.

post-8115-0-55057000-1361234622_thumb.jpg

WTF!

"Seems like a nice space" !!!!!!!

Well sure it does, the designer is well known for the nice outstanding job he does on boat interiors.

I like it, it is very nice and comfortable feeling.

Exhaust and cockpit drain hull penetrations have been made and dressed off by the crew like they do to any area of exposed foam or cedar.

The crew has been doing a superior job of dressing the various hull and bulkhead penetrations to eliminate any possible water intrusion behind any of the sheathing or laminates. They have established the standard that will have to be followed for any future hull/deck/bulkhead penetrations.

I just might have to keep this crew on speed-dial into the future.

(Of course the cockpit drains will cross under the deck so the thru hull the gets immersed while heeling will connect to the higher of the two drains in each cockpit.)

post-8115-0-50199300-1361235203_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-65777600-1361235213_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-07426700-1361235225_thumb.jpg

There are few things as gratifying as cutting holes in someone else's boat.

Sure enough :) The first hole was the hardest to drill - lots of thinking "am I sure I want to drill it here? really sure?" ... "yup" ...RRRRRRRRR ... "whew! Next!"

The "soft patch" in the forward cockpit was built into the deck along with the gutters for the cockpit seat hatches; there's a solid 'glass flange built up, recessed and ready to accept an engine access panel.

Kim - I passed you on the highway this morning, just on the PT side of the hood canal bridge - I was headed home from Tacoma, putting some new light fixtures etc.etc. on my boat.

There are few things as gratifying as cutting holes in someone else's boat.

Sure enough :)/> The first hole was the hardest to drill - lots of thinking "am I sure I want to drill it here? really sure?" ... "yup" ...RRRRRRRRR ... "whew! Next!"

The "soft patch" in the forward cockpit was built into the deck along with the gutters for the cockpit seat hatches; there's a solid 'glass flange built up, recessed and ready to accept an engine access panel.

Kim - I passed you on the highway this morning, just on the PT side of the hood canal bridge - I was headed home from Tacoma, putting some new light fixtures etc.etc. on my boat.

Was that you who honked? I figured it was another ham radio operator who saw my ham radio license plates.

I knew the soft patch was molded in, I just did not remember it being cut out, guess I have been looking down into the hull too much watching you guys work.

Boat continues to look fantastic!

It looks great Kim! Is the floor sole going to sit on the cleats that I see and also rest on the top of the keel floor and mast step flanges?

It looks great Kim! Is the floor sole going to sit on the cleats that I see and also rest on the top of the keel floor and mast step flanges?

I am not sure but I think so, "GreatDane28" please answer Viktor's question........

I don't think the sole will sit on the floors but be slightly above them so wiring and piping can pass over the top of the floors if necessary.

If you look carefully at the photo showing the front of the settee and the floor area you will see a listing/cleat on the face of the settee. That's where the sole will sit.

I don't think the sole will sit on the floors but be slightly above them so wiring and piping can pass over the top of the floors if necessary.

If you look carefully at the photo showing the front of the settee and the floor area you will see a listing/cleat on the face of the settee. That's where the sole will sit.

YUP, he is right! There is a cleat forward of the floors to rest the sole on in the main salon. I see cleats in each of the three compartments with SS structure. I guess I should look at my own pictures more often.

On another note, the water jet cutting is finished on the keel parts and the fabricator is picking them up today.

I can see the cleat and it looks to be even with the top of the flange of the floors,where they are bolted to the settee.It may be the camara angle but they seem to look a tad lower than the top of the flange. It looks to me that wiring ect. could run between the top of the flanges and the top of the floors. 3" of space or so.

I can see the cleat and it looks to be even with the top of the flange of the floors,where they are bolted to the settee.It may be the camara angle but they seem to look a tad lower than the top of the flange. It looks to me that wiring ect. could run between the top of the flanges and the top of the floors. 3" of space or so.

The top of the flanges will show above the sole (the sole will notch around the flanges), I like it that way, I am not one to bury structure like so many boats have it, I want to see the structure, it is the most interesting part of the vessel to me. That is why I don't like hull ceilings or any of the other extra pieces whose sole purpose to to hide structure.

I am weird that way.

BTW, I plan no wiring in the bilge. I hope to keep the top of the SS Floors clear of anything. (Of course I plan very little wiring anyway on this vessel.)

Got it. Thanks Kim. That's not weird at all,I wish more people thought like that,it makes it so much easier to work on a boat when you don't have to unscrew (some times having to remove bungs) and remove a bunch of shit that is there for no apparent reason other than to hide the stuff your trying to work on! Not to mention the extra $$$$ the customer has to shell out for us to do that. (Sorry, short rant sore subject for me <_< ) I like all the access you have thru-out the boat. It looks like you can comfortably get to the bow and touch the stem same goes for all the way aft. Looks great, thanks again for sharing.

Looks great Kim. Is all the interior structure now complete?

Pretty much, still have to install and reinforce the rudder tube, and of course installing the deck will greatly stiffen and strengthen the vessel. But I believe the interior structural pieces are all done and the crew is working on details, lots of details.......

excellent..thanks for the update Kim..I wish Catalina had thought like you and not wired crap in between the deck & deck liner. Now, I am getting ready to re-wire it 35 years later...although I know it failed 20 years ago & the PO just wired jumpers all over the boat. :rolleyes:

Most of the cabin lights have a jumper, but at leat the original wires to the running lights still work...for now. :unsure:

excellent..thanks for the update Kim..I wish Catalina had thought like you and not wired crap in between the deck & deck liner. Now, I am getting ready to re-wire it 35 years later...although I know it failed 20 years ago & the PO just wired jumpers all over the boat. :rolleyes:

Most of the cabin lights have a jumper, but at leat the original wires to the running lights still work...for now. :unsure:

Because I expect my two sons will end up with this boat (they now are in their forties and own a sailboat together), I am trying to think of long term ease of maintenance and durability in everything I do as a gesture to them.

I'm up for adoption, you know. ;)/>

SWMBO would prefer we adopt Boomsberry.

I think she might have a good idea with that one.

Hi Kim,

I lurk occasionally for a `stickybeak' at the beautiful Sliver...

One impression I get is of how elegant (in an engineering sense) all the structures are. Everything glassed in and used as structure.

I'm wondering if you have a notion of how she is coming in weight wise compared to Bob's design calculations or if indeed Bob has an opinion on this?

Hi Kim,

One impression I get is of how elegant (in an engineering sense) all the structures are. Everything glassed in and used as structure.

I'm wondering if you have a notion of how she is coming in weight wise compared to Bob's design calculations or if indeed Bob has an opinion on this?

Bruce and I tried to figure it out one weekend by weighing all of the interior pieces before they got assembled. Then Jim helped out by calculating weights on all of the stuff he was working on. And we weighted the test panel we did on the hull. So far we think we are still well below 19,000 pounds. We really have not added much extra stuff. The water heater is pretty much the only thing Bob did not put into his drawings. And we have 44 gallons (22 per side) of water now instead of 50 gallons water and 50 gallons holding tank. We have 62 gallons of fuel instead of 40 (or 80 depending on which drawing you look at.) We did increase the batteries (2x8D's and 2x4D's) but they are right next to the engine now instead of in the salon as our earlier calculations had us bow down by a few inches. And we have 1287 pounds of safety factor listed as "overage." So without crew, but with full tanks, sails, personal items, etc. etc. we are at 18,850 after we bumped up the ballast bulb a couple hundred pounds. (17,563 without the "overage" safety factor.) I guess she is a bit on the light side.

Hi Kim,

Bruce and I tried to figure it out one weekend by weighing all of the interior pieces before they got assembled. Then Jim helped out by calculating weights on all of the stuff he was working on. And we weighted the test panel we did on the hull. So far we think we are still well below 19,000 pounds. We really have not added much extra stuff. The water heater is pretty much the only thing Bob did not put into his drawings. And we have 44 gallons (22 per side) of water now instead of 50 gallons water and 50 gallons holding tank. We have 62 gallons of fuel instead of 40 (or 80 depending on which drawing you look at.) We did increase the batteries (2x8D's and 2x4D's) but they are right next to the engine now instead of in the salon as our earlier calculations had us bow down by a few inches. And we have 1287 pounds of safety factor listed as "overage." So without crew, but with full tanks, sails, personal items, etc. etc. we are at 18,850 after we bumped up the ballast bulb a couple hundred pounds. (17,563 without the "overage" safety factor.) I guess she is a bit on the light side.

Being on the light side is a good thing. But over age isn't always the best. Get plenty of sleep and exercize and continue to watch your diet.

Hi Kim,

Thanks for that Kim; I was getting the impression from the care and attention to every construction detail that you may indeed end up under design weight. So 2,400 lbs under (if you are at min) will be interesting at launch. Although as most of us know, its easier to put on weight than it is to get rid of it!

An underweight estimate is very good at this point. Like all weight critical jobs, sailboats go overweight from a thousand "2 oz" extras when the "fiddly bits" of rigging, tabbing, hardware all come in just over the allowances.

I'm just finishing up a project with a hard (legal style) weight and center of gravity limit and the constructor missed his estimate by 6% on the high side, leaving me less than 3% margin for the other 40% of the weight, so I ended up weighing ethernet cable and the like on a 65K pound job. Fortunately, the system provider came in significantly below his estimate (over 18 server racks, 36 UPS' and 12 operator stations) so yesterday got me back to around 10% overall margin with plenty of room for system growth by the end customer. That'll get me at least one good night of sleep on during this job.

Simplify, then add lightness - Colin Chapman

Simplicate and Add Lightness - Ed Heinemann

Wonder who was quoting who?

I am sure there are items we failed to Identify and allow for so we are happy to be a bit under weight at this point. I suspect she will launch very close to Bob's design weight.

Fact is we are now about 425 lbs. light based on my numbers. 425 lbs. is nothing. That's me and Kim sitting in the cockpit.

At this stage we are well within the weight study predictions and I anticipate a month after the boat is launched and sailing we will be very close to the initial designed displacement.

Which, if you are interested is 17,995 lbs. not including the keel volume because at the time I finished the hull lines I did not have a finished set of keel lines.

I really doubt we are going to end up seriously light. Not sure where Tricky gets his 2,400 lbs.

IB:

Truth be told I have had a few that did not float on their lines and only a very small number that floated light. But these days I'm pretty good at it.

Fact is we are now about 425 lbs. light based on my numbers. 425 lbs. is nothing. That's me and Kim sitting in the cockpit.

At this stage we are well within the weight study predictions and I anticipate a month after the boat is launched and sailing we will be very close to the initial designed displacement.

Which, if you are interested is 17,995 lbs. not including the keel volume because at the time I finished the hull lines I did not have a finished set of keel lines.

I really doubt we are going to end up seriously light. Not sure where Tricky gets his 2,400 lbs.

Bob, was the 17,995 with full or empty tanks?

Kim, one of the things you're doing with this boat that I love is painting the bilges gloss white. I love that look!

And I love the look of the rest of the boat, too. But then I've been a fan of Bob's designs since Heather was launched.

Kim, one of the things you're doing with this boat that I love is painting the bilges gloss white. I love that look!

And I love the look of the rest of the boat, too. But then I've been a fan of Bob's designs since Heather was launched.

That gloss was Bruce and the crew's idea (I did select the white over the other choice: grey.) Sometimes I think they are doing things to force me to take good care of their baby. They seem very vested in this vessel which is very good for her (and for me.)

They sure are putting superior effort into this build. Lucky me gets to end up as her caretaker when they are finished. They are setting a very high bar for me to live up to.

(I have never felt like I "owned" the boats in my care, I have always thought I was the current steward of their care.)

Kim,

Thanks again for sharing this wonderful project with all of us.

I was trying to show my good friend, Thor, the Sliver project last night. I slogged through pages and pages of the thread but, it was hard to give him a real good idea of the scope and evolution of this project.

Is there a single place, feed, where most of your posted photos are stored that you would be willing to share?

Kim:

That would be with half full tanks. I think we may have unintentionally ooched up the displacement in our minds just in case we came in a bot heavy. But the lines are drawn to the 17,995 lb. displ.

Blackbird:

You are showing your age.

Kim,

I was trying to show my good friend, Thor, the Sliver project last night. I slogged through pages and pages of the thread but, it was hard to give him a real good idea of the scope and evolution of this project.

Is there a single place, feed, where most of your posted photos are stored that you would be willing to share?

I don't have my photos stored on line but Boomer has a link to his album (which has much better photos than mine anyway) I think he posted a link back a couple pages.....

Oh just when Kim said "well below 19,000 lbs" and further in his post said (17,563 without the "overage" safety factor.) I took 19,000 lbs to be possibly the displacement, but of course Kim didn't actually say that.

How does keel volume affect displacement?

James:

Keel volume is just additional immersed volume and should be added to the displacement of the hull for a total displacement. As should the volume of the rudder. But I never add the rudder and I only add the keel well after I am done designing the hull. I don;t always know where the keel is goinging while I am designing the hull. I can guress pretty closely but there will usually be some adjustment there.

Keep in mind that Kim's keel is a high aspect ratio fin and bulb and a totally different keel than a low apsect ratio fin like you would see of a Hylas or a Passport. In that case I would always count in the volume pof the keel from the start. However I would not use it for Cp or LCB.

Sailormom;

I haven't actually talked to Gary Pucket yet. But I am friends with his old manager so I have an in there.

Take it on the road. Even those of us in landlocked, snowladen places would love to see the show!

I would happily buy a ticket to this show!

Kim,

I don't have my photos stored on line but Boomer has a link to his album (which has much better photos than mine anyway) I think he posted a link back a couple pages.....

Here's the link to Kim's Sliver Project...haven't added a lot lately, but will be adding more monthly till she's launched.

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/boomer1954/Sliver%20Project/?albumview=slideshow

Austin is working on a new web site for the school, so we've been busy shooting the campus, staff and students.

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/boomer1954/Northwest%20School%20of%20Wooden%20Boatbuilding/?albumview=slideshow

<snip>

On another note, the water jet cutting is finished on the keel parts and the fabricator is picking them up today.

I had to fix a water jet cutter last week,after I'd fixed it the operator thought it was amusing that I wanted to stand and watch water (yes and granite) cut stainless steel.

Water cutting steel, Maybe I'm easily amused, but it is kind of cool to watch!

• Downvote 1

<snip>

I had to fix a water jet cutter last week,after I'd fixed it the operator thought it was amusing that I wanted to stand and watch water (yes and granite) cut stainless steel.

Water cutting steel, Maybe I'm easily amused, but it is kind of cool to watch!

And it does an accurate clean job of it.

If anyone wants to check out the School's site where the Sliver is being built, it is http://www.nwboatschool.org/

You can donate, visit or volunteer...or ask for admission to the School right from there!

Very cool place.

Nice job on the site, Austin!

I wanna go to SCAMP Camp!

I think the diesel thread is down the hall....

Sorry about that KB ... it was an incomplete thought that remains incomplete ...

Nice boat, by the way.

romaine

I think the diesel thread is down the hall....

Sorry about that KB ... it was an incomplete thought that remains incomplete ...

Nice boat, by the way.

romaine

Hey, no worries Paul, we accept tangents and hijacks here......so please complete the thought.......(I am a big fan of diesels)........Kim.

If anyone wants to check out the School's site where the Sliver is being built, it is http://www.nwboatschool.org/

You can donate, visit or volunteer...or ask for admission to the School right from there!

Very cool place.

Nice job on the site, Austin!

I wanna go to SCAMP Camp!

I had nothing to do with the site that link brings you to.

I can lie and take the credit for it if you wanna give it to me though! :)