Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

• Replies 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eight years ago today we lost Spike Perry. The SLIVER project was started just about that time. The project was then dedicated to the memory of Spike. The Spike Burgee will fly on FRANC

I think Legs has it right. I check SA and CA everyday. If I think I have something to add to the discussion I'll post it. With over 6,600 fan club members on Facebook now that keeps me prett

Took FRANKIE over to Shilshole today and turned her over to Green Card for some love and attention. I towed my Hadlock 23 Skiff behind so I had a way to get back home. It was strange watchin

Posted Images

Did you template the countertops using butcher/rosen/felt paper?

Your work looks nice, and the deep red really pops!

No, I measured very carefully yesterday and then went back this morning and measured again. I purposely made them just a hair big and then trimmed to fit. I had no idea what I was doing but it came out OK. I was very patient and proceeded very slowly discussing each step with SWMBO so we could make sure I was not missing something important. (One of the advantages of marrying a very smart woman is having someone to bounce ideas off to make sure they make sense.)

Then I put another coat of varnish on the head cabinet and the galley under sink doors.

Hey -- that looks like the same lammy we have on the underside of our galley!

8589924481_f2694edaba.jpg

The first few goes at HPL demand full attention, but after that it's monkey work.:) Rewarding monkey work tho, as you can turn out a whole house full of laminate tops in about a day and a half.

Any photo of Sophia Loren is a favorite of mine. Yes, I have gazed at that photo Hank.

One of my friends is a yacht skipper to the rich and famous. Back when he was a first mate Sophia took a cruise on the yacht on which he was crewing. Happily he reports that she is a lovely lady and was very kind to the crew.

To hear she is nice pretty much wraps up her occupying my #1 most beautify woman in the world position. (Not counting SWMBO of course!)

Ok, let me get this straight. You are going to make it about Sophia Loren's personality?

Inside this sedate and refined exterior,,,,,,,,,,I am an animal.

No, I am just pleased that beyond a world class sex symbol she is also a nice person.

Bob, I'm sure Kim has seen the Sophia Loren photo above the urinal at the Lynnwood Theater. It's one of my favorites. Next time you're on Bainbridge have him take you to the movies.

It has been a while since I have been to the Lynnwood Theater. I will have to check this out.

Same sail you handled on her foredeck Hobot! The bargain basement masthead A2.

I attached a few pictures from your foredeck perspective hoping that helps your memory.

Might get a second Torque Rope for the heavy fractional kite too.

Here are a couple pictures of the heavy kite on the previous vessel.

I think this was the only time it has ever been flown, it looks brand new.

post-8115-0-48248100-1414528168_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-44854000-1414528192_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-35226400-1414528201_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-34110000-1414528932_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-64537900-1414528942_thumb.jpg

Gear bag (with just the most basic of necessities to save weight) is packed!

Good, we will want you there when we try and figure how to unfurl, fly and furl the kite with the furler.

(After-All you were the winner of the 10,000th post contest as I was disqualified.)

Cheers!

Can't wait to see the TDF in action! What furling line are you going with? Sounds like there are a couple out there that really make these systems work well.

Links??
Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Marlow is a favorite of a few lofts

http://www.marlowropes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=128:superline&catid=47:industrial-a-utility&Itemid=161

Colligo Marine is another supplier of torque ropes

http://www.colligomarine.com/products/colligo-hardware/luff-and-torque-lines-for-headsails

Can't wait to see the TDF in action! What furling line are you going with? Sounds like there are a couple out there that really make these systems work well.

Links??

Marlow is a favorite of a few loftshttp://www.marlowropes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=128:superline&catid=47:industrial-a-utility&Itemid=161

Colligo Marine is another supplier of torque ropeshttp://www.colligomarine.com/products/colligo-hardware/luff-and-torque-lines-for-headsails

Those are links to the torque rope, I was looking to his comment on furling lines, unless he meant torque ropes........

Links??

Marlow is a favorite of a few loftshttp://www.marlowropes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=128:superline&catid=47:industrial-a-utility&Itemid=161

Colligo Marine is another supplier of torque ropeshttp://www.colligomarine.com/products/colligo-hardware/luff-and-torque-lines-for-headsails

Those are links to the torque rope, I was looking to his comment on furling lines, unless he meant torque ropes........

I was refering to torque ropes sorry for the confusion! I've heard good things about Marlow's Prodrive. Robline also has a genaker furling line that should have good torsional rigidity for furling.

For the roller furling part of the system, just about any rope will work, but some are easier to do a constant diameter splice in than others. Marlow has a dedicated rope for this (furler 50) and it's supposed to make a smoother constant-diameter splice.

I thought he meant torque ropes, however an 8mm Robline Sirius 500 should do the job or something similar.

https://www.ropeinc.com/fse-robline-rope.html

I use a lot of Sirius 500 and I love it, but I don't think I'd use it in this application (for a torque rope). It's really important to have a rope that won't twist, and most of the dedicated torque ropes have at least an intermediate cover to add the torsional stiffness. Also important to have low stretch (vectran core or similar). While the Sirius 500 is probably among the best of the polyester d-braid ropes, it still can't compete with high tech cores for stretch, especially on bigger boats like FL.

I thought he meant torque ropes, however an 8mm Robline Sirius 500 should do the job or something similar.https://www.ropeinc.com/fse-robline-rope.html

I use a lot of Sirius 500 and I love it, but I don't think I'd use it in this application (for a torque rope). It's really important to have a rope that won't twist, and most of the dedicated torque ropes have at least an intermediate cover to add the torsional stiffness. Also important to have low stretch (vectran core or similar). While the Sirius 500 is probably among the best of the polyester d-braid ropes, it still can't compete with high tech cores for stretch, especially on bigger boats like FL.

In my earlier links, you'd see that I was referring to Marlow and Colligo for torque and Sirius 500 for the continuous line.

What threw us off in your first post is the comment that the furling line is what makes these furling systems work. I'd say that the right torque rope is crucial to making the furl work. A lot of different, less critical braid can be used for the furling line.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was out in a gale (35-40 knots of true wind) last week but it was in my Hadlock 23 commuting skiff not the FRANCIS LEE.

That was about the roughest weather I have experienced in the open Hadlock 23. I was so impressed with how well she did I sent her designer Paul Gartside a complementary email telling him how well she behaved in that short steep 4-6 foot Puget Sound chop. He replied with a nice email saying he appreciated the report.

(However based on how well the FL handled some rough weather in a race earlier this year I don't think she would have been much bothered by those conditions.)

It is nice having two well mannered vessels. Just wish I had some weather protection on the skiff. SWMBO won't ride in her except in perfect weather. So the search is on for a vessel like the skiff with some weather protection, something like a lobster boat.

post-8115-0-31702900-1415551990_thumb.jpg

Well.....

If you're up for another new one, maybe he'd make it a diesel....

http://www.biekerboats.com/Bieker_Boats/Shearwater_32.html

The 36' Express Cruiser on his website was designed for me about six or seven years ago. He did that boat in a 34' version too, both in diesel and outboards. And in short cabin and long cabin versions. I have the drawings around here somewhere.

I decided to build the long skinny daysailor (this Sliver project) first instead.

The water ballast Bieker boat is still under consideration as is his power catamaran he design for Gordy. Of course the cat would take me back to outboards (but small outboards.)

So...I would think that these style furlers would wreak havoc on the corners of the kite if stored that way. Do you unfurl them at the dock and just store them in a bag, or are they coiled in a large cumbersome manner & kept on the furler in storage? Some of them, like the Profurl, seem to have windage inducing fist sized bulk in the torque rope to gather the three dimensional bulk built into the sail.

The furling drum is still on the deck, correct?

So...I would think that these style furlers would wreak havoc on the corners of the kite if stored that way. Do you unfurl them at the dock and just store them in a bag, or are they coiled in a large cumbersome manner & kept on the furler in storage? Some of them, like the Profurl, seem to have windage inducing fist sized bulk in the torque rope to gather the three dimensional bulk built into the sail.

I have not fully sorted out the furler yet, busy with other things right now.

Saw Gordy's Cat a week ago, very cool! He said he built it in his garage, calling Gordy, are you out there, how about posting a picture or two for us.

Have often wondered about his cat boat... its all finished now and out and about?

No problem Kim, that is exactly why I am asking...I don't know jack shit about them other than a couple of internet searches.

No problem Kim, that is exactly why I am asking...I don't know jack shit about them other than a couple of internet searches.

Yeah, I don't know anything about them either, hopefully some of FRANKIE's crew will know how to make them work!!

WHL for example seems to be up to speed on just about everything sailing. Maybe he and HoBot will keep us out of trouble.

Yeah, I don't know anything about them either, hopefully some of FRANKIE's crew will know how to make them work!!

WHL for example seems to be up to speed on just about everything sailing. Maybe he and HoBot will keep us out of trouble.

I doubt that Kim, but they may sort out the furler ;)

Papsicle is an improvement on some other monikers I have been blessed with on SA............

Your original screen name was quite...umm, image provoking as well.

Papsicle is good for those hot days down your way.

If Paps was libeled or slandered would that be considered a Paps smear? Ok, coat, hat.....

Papsicle is an improvement on some other monikers I have been blessed with on SA............

Your original screen name was quite...umm, image provoking as well.

Papsicle is good for those hot days down your way.

If Paps was libeled or slandered would that be considered a Paps smear? Ok, coat, hat.....

Pretty close Ed, lol.

Saw Gordy's Cat a week ago, very cool! He said he built it in his garage, calling Gordy, are you out there, how about posting a picture or two for us.

Have often wondered about his cat boat... its all finished now and out and about?

Yes, he was at Spencer's Landing Marina on Lopez checking on Palm Tree Express which looks great too. Saw them leave and the boat runs effortlessly w/ no wake. I want one!

• 2 weeks later...

In their year in review, Northwest Yachting spilled more ink regarding Francis Lee. 'The most striking and original...' Congrats to all.

A nice tribute to Bob's skill, experience and talent

And a nice tribute to the dozens of local skilled craftspeople from the NW School of Wooden Boatbuilding, Turn Point Design, CSR, Tim Nolan Marine Design, Jim Franken Design, PT Watercraft, Pacific Fishermen, Bill Campbell Metals and Non Ferrous Metals who followed Bob's design and guidance in creating her.

Bravo and thanks to you all.

I think Kurt's comments while succinct were spot on target. It's clear he gets it. Many many years ago Kurt was my editor at SAILING.

Thanks all for the kind words.

The new layout in the German mag YACHT is really well done and very extensive. It's a double whammy edition for me because there is also a long article on my 60'er alu MARLIN owned and cruised by a German family.

I can't believe I forgot to mention and thank my go to sail-makers Axel and Frank Schattauer. I have used Schattauer Sails for well over 30 years and they are simply the best for me and for FRANCIS LEE.

(And they are about the nicest people you will ever meet.)

post-8115-0-64788900-1417899045_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been distracted lately, but finally today I got back to work on the Sliver project.

SS hinges for the doors on the head and galley under sink cabinets.

They are three piece hinges and it took me a while to sort out how they mount, all good now.

The only thing I did not like is the extra fastenings they send along for different mounting schemes. I am always nervous when I have extra parts, but apparently it is OK in this situation.

post-8115-0-23131200-1419035022_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-12242800-1419035041_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-77880000-1419035056_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-36547800-1419035067_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-50783200-1419035077_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-31738900-1419035097_thumb.jpg

Be careful recycling Blum/Grass/Mepla fasteners - their pitch and strength tend to be optimized for particle/flakeboard, as is used in the knockdown flatpack cabinet industry. I've managed to torque off a few screw heads in hardwood and it's been a bitch removing them from maple and cherry.

Perhaps their stainless versions are optimized for better quality woods.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, Bob and Kimb.

Many thanks for sharing this wonderful journey with Anarchists during 2014.

Take care if you're out on the water.

Same to you Sailby. Have a great Christmas.

I'll take care but I'll be in the kitchen. One hand for the leg of lamb and one hand for myself.

Lamb...yum. Our guest on Christmas day can't eat lamb so it's steak au poivre instead. I have some loverly tenderloin here.

It's a 30 lbs Turkey,stuffed with apples for us this year. The juice of the apples and some bacon draped over the turkey make really great gravy.

I'll take care but I'll be in the kitchen. One hand for the leg of lamb and one hand for myself.

Sounds good, but in the kitchen isn't the saying "one hand for the leg of lamb and one hand for the shiraz"??? I'll be working that one on boxing day.

We have a great Christmas treat, a friend who is an amazing chef is in town for Christmas, and is going to cook up dinner! Whoo-hoo!

A merry Christmas to all.

Lamb...yum. Our guest on Christmas day can't eat lamb so it's steak au poivre instead. I have some loverly tenderloin here.

Who the hell can't eat Lamb??

Merry Xmas to all, we are houseboating on the Murray River. Parked in the Willows at Ponde at the moment. Baked Ham last night stuffed Pork loin for lunch today.

post-9101-0-96997300-1419456229_thumb.jpg