Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

• Replies 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eight years ago today we lost Spike Perry. The SLIVER project was started just about that time. The project was then dedicated to the memory of Spike. The Spike Burgee will fly on FRANC

I think Legs has it right. I check SA and CA everyday. If I think I have something to add to the discussion I'll post it. With over 6,600 fan club members on Facebook now that keeps me prett

Took FRANKIE over to Shilshole today and turned her over to Green Card for some love and attention. I towed my Hadlock 23 Skiff behind so I had a way to get back home. It was strange watchin

Posted Images

Son Derek trying to make like Bob in the stern and then measuring the beam at various stations along her length......He is about 6'2"+.........I wonder if the "relaxing in the stern" shots will become the thing with other celebrity visitors?

post-8115-005215700 1329860731_thumb.jpg

post-8115-047263600 1329860745_thumb.jpg

post-8115-001970100 1329860760_thumb.jpg

I think I figured out how to create a PDF out of the Rhino files for the keel.

(Hopefully you understand the two halves of the lead blub will be brought together around the lower part of the fin.......)

We'll have you modeling in Rhino in no time Kim!

Nice looking keel. And those SS floors are hell for stout too. Gonna polish them?

(Edit) Good luck on your commute tonight. Blowing like stink here.

(Hopefully you understand the two halves of the lead blub will be brought together around the lower part of the fin.......)

We'll have you modeling in Rhino in no time Kim!

Nice looking keel. And those SS floors are hell for stout too. Gonna polish them?

(Edit) Good luck on your commute tonight. Blowing like stink here.

The commute was a bit bumpy. But the Glacier Bay has been very good at handling these kinds of days.

We are going to glass bead blast the floors, I am told (by Tim Nolan) that such a treatment will give them a nice soft durable finish.

Fin is fabricated steel with a lead bulb?

Yes

Hey! That's MY berth!

A few years back on the Mac race (a light air year) I found my self a very nice berth way in the back of the boat where no one would step on me. Much better than later in the race when I was sleeping in the spin when it started to get hoisted out the bow hatch.

As you can tell from the photos it is important for me to investigate all the sleeping options.

Bob I think we could forgo the mid boat cleats. A ring off the shroud could be clipped into for spring lines and keep the spring up high so it will not rub on the rail. It might be nice to have a hard point for sheeting the jib on a reach forward of the track out on the edge of the boat, we can look at sheeting angles to figure out the best location once in the water.

Everything looks fantastic.

A ring off the shroud could be clipped into for spring lines and keep the spring up high so it will not rub on the rail.

Having once bent a turnbuckle in a storm doing this, I'll suggest it's a "less than perfect solution"........ :D

Bob I think we could forgo the mid boat cleats. A ring off the shroud could be clipped into for spring lines and keep the spring up high so it will not rub on the rail. It might be nice to have a hard point for sheeting the jib on a reach forward of the track out on the edge of the boat, we can look at sheeting angles to figure out the best location once in the water.

I have a mid ship rail cleat that works well for this. If you put a small track on the outide of the deck (mine is on the toerail) you can add a sliding removable cleat that is very handy for spring lines, fender placement and boat control while docking. The same rail can be used for a block for the forsail, I have a sliding eye and a snatch block attached when needed. If you do not use an end cap both can be removed when not needed. Mine is a less actractve version of this,

post-27422-039314600 1329931173_thumb.jpg

I have a mid ship rail cleat that works well for this. If you put a small track on the outide of the deck (mine is on the toerail) you can add a sliding removable cleat that is very handy for spring lines, fender placement and boat control while docking. The same rail can be used for a block for the forsail, I have a sliding eye and a snatch block attached when needed. If you do not use an end cap both can be removed when not needed. Mine is a less actractve version of this,

post-27422-039314600 1329931173_thumb.jpg

Derek actually mentioned something like that when we were at the boat on Monday. It was another of his suggestions on how to handle the mid vessel spring lines.

Kimb,

I know mid-boat springs are nice, but on a narrow boat (like ours) you can often do with out them. I simply spring aft from the bow and forward from the stern and side chocks keep the lines clear. Of course a mid-boat spring is really nice for stopping or springing off of a dock, but that's temporary and won't eat the toe rail and line.

BV

Kimb,

I know mid-boat springs are nice, but on a narrow boat (like ours) you can often do with out them. I simply spring aft from the bow and forward from the stern and side chocks keep the lines clear. Of course a mid-boat spring is really nice for stopping or springing off of a dock, but that's temporary and won't eat the toe rail and line.

BV

Some boats, like mine, have nice fairleads in the toerails.

Here is an example. I have three on each side. This picture shows the aft fairlead on the starboard side. I also have one amidships.

Currently, all my dock lines run though these nice stout, bronze, fairleads. No lines cross over my caprails I find this terribly convenient for many reasons.

Here's a pic.

IMG_7342.JPG

Does Sliver have anything like this?

Well, I have to tell you. It doesn't really help with the grief I feel that at times will litterally stop me dead in the tracks as I walk the dogs. But it does make me feel like I am a force not to be fucked with. And at 65 that is a nice feeling. Now if I could only get both knees to work at the same time. I'd be terrifying.

Bob,

Thanks for sharing with us. It doesn't take away in any manner your loss but at least they acknowledged that they made a tragic error and perhaps others will have better care bacause of it. Spike will never leave your heart.

Well, I have to tell you. It doesn't really help with the grief I feel that at times will litterally stop me dead in the tracks as I walk the dogs. But it does make me feel like I am a force not to be fucked with. And at 65 that is a nice feeling. Now if I could only get both knees to work at the same time. I'd be terrifying.

Thank you, Bob, for letting us know.

And yes, I believe you are indeed a force of nature. I'd be happy, were I absent, to have you on Kerry's side anytime.

Good on you Bob, GOOD ON YOU!!

I know what you mean, and you've been able to illicit far more recompense than I ever have. Good work.

Bob,

Thanks for sharing with us. It doesn't take away in any manner your loss but at least they acknowledged that they made a tragic error and perhaps others will have better care bacause of it. Spike will never leave your heart.

+1

Bob, I am still so sorry to hear about Spike..I could not even fathom the horror of burying my child. At least you've gotten a little confirmation, if nothing else. I am cooking burgers for dinner tonight (the grill is heating up, presently)..While doing so, I'll raise (another) Michelob Ultra to Spike.

Hey! That's MY berth!

"Bob Perry slept here"

BTW, you made the bastards pay. With any luck, they'll never forget.

Payback's a bitch. But necessary in this case, as it turns out. (A quote from ID4 that Spike, Lorrie and I used to mangle (sic) much to our mutual hilarity, usually whilst waiting in line in the rain at The Bay. That was Spike's favorite riff on it, IIRR.

Paul

Oops. Slang for 'Independance Day' (July 4 ~ ID4) a film that we three (and and many many others, Meeester Perry) agreed was Most Excellent.

And then there's 'Galaxy Quest', which (and Spike helped start this particular bit of film criticism) is NOT a comedy, but a very serious contemplation on the role of Sci Fi in our Fabulous Tele Vision culture.

;)

You have to watch it many times though......

Paul

<--- ID4 fan. Every time it is on Spike/TNT/Reelz etc..it is on! The nice thing I like about Will Smith is he doesn't take him self so seriously that he thinks he's some god. I actually am about the right age that I listened to his rap music in high school before the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air".

Never seen Galaxy Quest. :-/

Bob,

+1

Bob, I am still so sorry to hear about Spike..I could not even fathom the horror of burying my child. At least you've gotten a little confirmation, if nothing else. I am cooking burgers for dinner tonight (the grill is heating up, presently)..While doing so, I'll raise (another) Michelob Ultra to Spike.

I think Im missing something.

Bob,

+1

Bob posted something about a claim settlement, but now its gone.

You have to pay attention around here Paps.

I have been dropping a few hints about another boat too.

May have a delivery from Melbourne to Tassie coming up soon.

Olaf:

There are certain posts that you make when drunk that seem so cogent, so profound.

Then you wake up the next day, at 4:30 am and say, "What the fuck did I post last night?"

You read it and think, "Oh shit!"

Then you delete.

I have this down. I am very good at it if you haven't noticed.

Maybe we need some kind of code, a signal, that we are posting drunk. I'll bet Paps can come up with one.

We need a name for it. "Plowsting?"

Olaf:

There are certain posts that you make when drunk that seem so cogent, so profound.

Then you wake up the next day, at 4:30 am and say, "What the fuck did I post last night?"

Then you delete.

Maybe we need some kind of code, a signal, that we are posting drunk. I'll bet Paps can come up with one.

There's already a PUI thread on General Anarchy...CUI? Cruising UI? That sounds vaguely sexual.

I can usually tell when you're drunk because you type more better. :P

Bob,

+1

Bob posted something about a claim settlement, but now its gone.

You have to pay attention around here Paps.

I have been dropping a few hints about another boat too.

May have a delivery from Melbourne to Tassie coming up soon.

I figured as much Ole. And stop hinting and post some pics damn you!!

We need to have an emoticon!

Let's see, a white wine emoticon, a red wine emoticon, a beer emoticon, a scotch emoticon, a martini emoticon, a whiskey emoticon.....

I would welcome such non print sub liminal messages.

Or there are cubist emoticons:

.._>

(smiley)

./>

(confused)

.'_>

(wink)

. D

(laughing)

] [

( hug)

Oh yeah. Uh huh.

Submitted for your approval.

Olaf:

Then you delete.

Why me? What are you suggesting Wobert?

Trouble is I dont bother delete mine.

How about "Papsing"??

We need to have an emoticon!

Let's see, a white wine emoticon, a red wine emoticon, a beer emoticon, a scotch emoticon, a martini emoticon, a whiskey emoticon.....

I would welcome such non print sub liminal messages.

Or there are cubist emoticons:

.._>

(smiley)

./>

(confused)

.'_>

(wink)

. D

(laughing)

] [

( hug)

Oh yeah. Uh huh.

Submitted for your approval.

Or just end the post with a wacko.gif

Jose was kind enough to e-mail me and remind me that I have failed to post any pictures this week.

I got tied up in some various other issues and I am afraid I let it slip. I will get right on it.

One of the issues was we redid the weight study using the real world information we gained from the test panels and such.

Bob did a weight study about two years ago just using his experience. The new weight study was within .0033% of Bob's original. And the LCG was less than a foot different, and the VCG was only a couple inches different.

I guess we can trust Bob when he does a weight study.

Meanwhile the hull crew continues to add more sheathing to the interior side of the strip planking.

The crew is looking at how best to form the eGlass into the tight point of the bow, the stern has a nice relaxed curve so it will be easier.

post-8115-032302900 1330536490_thumb.jpg

post-8115-007334900 1330536499_thumb.jpg

post-8115-074122500 1330536506_thumb.jpg

post-8115-004724100 1330536518_thumb.jpg

post-8115-011062600 1330536531_thumb.jpg

post-8115-043098600 1330536542_thumb.jpg

post-8115-090940100 1330536552_thumb.jpg

post-8115-021211600 1330536566_thumb.jpg

post-8115-086720500 1330536577_thumb.jpg

We have been talking with the keel builder.

Lots of issues to deal with.

I understand that the sheathing of the keel will only last so long so I am trying to see if there are any surface prep we can do to extend the life of the sheathing.

Maybe I should consider SS for the fin??

A thing of beauty is a joy for today at least.

Kim, did you commute this morning in the cat? If you did you will have a fun ride home. Would have been a great day for thre skiff.

Yes, I took the cat in as usual. I have not used the ferry in quite a while. I think the last time I took the ferry was because of snow and SWMBO wanted me to take her AWD Passat instead of my Jetta TDI (which I leave at the Marina on the Seattle side.)

That yacht skipper who lives in the neighborhood is commuting with me again. He is working on a big refit in Seattle. So I have a professional licensed captain watching over me these days.

This is the last vessel he skippered. I am not allowed to say who owns her, it is all hush hush. He left her last year and has been doing contract work.

Last year he took that vessel down to South America to search for the Air France Black Box. Interesting guy, his stories are entertaining and SWMBO thinks I am safer with him aboard.

This morning was 6039 crossings of Puget Sound.

post-8115-010973500 1330537466_thumb.jpg

you will have a fun ride home.

PUGET SOUND AND HOOD CANAL-

856 AM PST WED FEB 29 2012

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON...
TODAY...S WIND 20 TO 30 KT...EASING TO 10 TO 20 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 TO 5 FT...SUBSIDING TO 1 TO 3 FT. SHOWERS. CHANCE OF TSTMS IN THE AFTERNOON.

The crew is looking at how best to form the eGlass into the tight point of the bow, the stern has a nice relaxed curve so it will be easier.

The airplane builders used midgets to rivet in tight places.

We have a couple young skinny students, maybe they will come in handy.

Thanks, got it.

Looks good Kimb! Will there be an in turned flange in the hull to set the deck on or will hull/deck simply be glassed in place?

There will be a triangular shaped shelf at the sheer to help form the deck to hull joint.

Olaf:

Then you delete.

"Planksting?"

Learned a long time ago what is written on a forum "may or may not" come across as meant. It is a wonderful medium in many ways but.....it dan't hold a candle to sitting face to face with a person, chit chatting and sharing a coldie. Not even fucking close.

Meanwhile the hull crew continues to add more sheathing to the interior side of the strip planking.

I would recommend an end pour. First tilt the hull so it is standing on the bow. Mix up a big bucket of epoxy thickened with micro balloons and wood flour. Dump it into the bow. The whole mess will get hot enough to boil, but when it does cure you will have a solid plug strong enough to use as an ice breaker.

Olaf:

Then you delete.

"Planksting?"

I've seen PUI used on other sites - seems to fit the bill.

On another note, my Festo sander and Fein Multimaster are insanely jealous of the ones being used on such a cool project.

As opposed to sanding stair nosings and cutting out grout at casa Rattus... ;-)

Mike

Absolutely. The Internet is a very imperfect medium.

I so know that, it doesnt have a fridge!!

I would recommend an end pour. First tilt the hull so it is standing on the bow. Mix up a big bucket of epoxy thickened with micro balloons and wood flour. Dump it into the bow. The whole mess will get hot enough to boil, but when it does cure you will have a solid plug strong enough to use as an ice breaker.

Thats a joke, right? See I'm getting this interweb stuff.

Kim;

Great update, we are getting into multi phase.

Fortunately we don't get ice here on the Salish Sea.

Fortunately we don't get ice here on the Salish Sea.

Tell that to the cars on the side of the highway blocking my access to the train station this morning... :P

The end pour is only sort of a joke. It is a pretty standard way to strengthen the end of kit built kayaks, the bow on them is so narrow that it is hard to glass to the point, but that area is very fragile too. An end pour adds a bit of weight but works well. I did a big one on a home built recreational yak I tow behind the sailboat to keep th bridle from pulling out of the wood.

The airplane builders used midgets to rivet in tight places.

And mast builders did the same, with the early riveted aluminum J-boat masts, though I think they used boys, as they were cheaper than rivet trained midgets.

So on the west coast there are a bunch of old deaf midgets wandering around saying "Huh?", and on the east coast a bunch of normal sized retired mast builders shouting "What?"

Tell that to the cars on the side of the highway blocking my access to the train station this morning... :P

Oh we might get ice on the land , but I have yet to see the Salish Sea ice up.

(However I have seen Ice in the Everett Marina because it gets a lot of fresh water from the river. But I don't keep my boat in Everett any longer.)

(However I have seen Ice in the Everett Marina because it gets a lot of fresh water from the river. But I don't keep my boat in Everett any longer.)

True. One memorable occasion a few years ago when we headed for the start line in a Winter Series club race where we had the Foredeck crew bashing the ice with the anchor as we made our way down the slipway. Open water in the channel, it was only iced over in the marina itself.

True. One memorable occasion a few years ago when we headed for the start line in a Winter Series club race where we had the Foredeck crew bashing the ice with the anchor as we made our way down the slipway. Open water in the channel, it was only iced over in the marina itself.

Way back in the early 1980's on one very cold day I visited my Rhodes Evergreen 36 which was all the way in at the east end of the marina. I noted that the water was iced up so I dropped my anchor to break it up. The anchor just bounced off the ice. I then walked around my boat on the ice. Never done that before, or since.

Way back in the early 1980's on one very cold day I visited my Rhodes Evergreen 36 which was all the way in at the east end of the marina. I noted that the water was iced up so I dropped my anchor to break it up. The anchor just bounced off the ice. I then walked around my boat on the ice. Never done that before, or since.

I have seen ice on the Hylebos waterway in Tacoma, in Gig Harbor, and on the Duwamish River. All because of fresh water on top of salt or brackish water. In the case of the Hylebos I broke very thin ice for about a mile. When I hauled the boat the bottom paint at the waterline had all been scoured away from the bow back about a foot or so. Of course that's nothing compared to back east. I can hear them laughing.

Probably too late now but as far as laying up in the bow you might try starting with narrow strips laid on C.L. getting progressively wider as you increase the layers. A guy at the top and a guy at the bottom hold the ends and guide the strips into place. A guy with a bubble buster on a long handle rolls out the laminate.

Probably too late now but as far as laying up in the bow you might try starting with narrow strips laid on C.L. getting progressively wider as you increase the layers. A guy at the top and a guy at the bottom hold the ends and guide the strips into place. A guy with a bubble buster on a long handle rolls out the laminate.

I think Fred, Jordan and Bruce have if figured out. They are pretty clever guys.

Yeah I bet they do. You got a good crew there. Sorry if this has been asked before but how much of the interior will be built and to what degree of finish will it have before the deck goes on? Thanks again for the updates,really interesting and fun to follow.

I see that Bruce is back to the red shirts again,what up wit dat??:D

Vik

Yeah I bet they do. You got a good crew there. Sorry if this has been asked before but how much of the interior will be built and to what degree of finish will it have before the deck goes on? Thanks again for the updates,really interesting and fun to follow.

I see that Bruce is back to the red shirts again,what up wit dat??:D

Vik

There are foam core composite bulkheads, berth flats/fronts, shelves and stringers that are all structural elements of Bob's design. They will all go in before the deck get placed. (Everything gets tabbed together of course for strength.)

The stainless steel keel grid/floors and engine will also be installed before the deck goes on. I expect we will not have much in the way of interior finish when we launch her. I want to live with her in a very spartan state for a while so that I can only add what we really need.

I sold a 30 foot power cat a couple years ago and when I went to unload her before turning her over to the buyer I was stunned at how much stuff I had to take off of her. Hundreds of pounds of stuff had accumulated over the five years I owned her.

I am determined to avoid having this vessel accumulate excess weight.

(I have no control over Bruce's clothing.)

It is Monday so that means a Sliver Visit.

Had a great visit with the management of the School/Project and we sorted out various details that will hopefully get her in the water before year end.

Lots of things still to do.

Interior hull sheathing almost completed, well the pre-fairing part at least!

post-8115-096243100 1330988563_thumb.jpg

post-8115-083699800 1330988574_thumb.jpg

post-8115-038493200 1330988586_thumb.jpg

post-8115-000965500 1330988609_thumb.jpg

post-8115-070784300 1330988628_thumb.jpg

post-8115-021346900 1330988648_thumb.jpg

That looks like great progress, Kim. Kerry and I thought of you and Sliver during our trip to Pt. Townsend and back this weekend (picking up the new main from Carol). I told her I wished we had time to stop by and visit you this morning on our way back.

Maybe in April, when we pick up the genoa...

That must have been F_U_N filleting the inside of the bow, I bet they're happy to have it completed!

Thanks for the update.

Fred reports that the best method was to snuggle up as far forward as possible and then wedge his shoulders into either side to keep from slipping back aft. The sheathing is slippery on the inside of the keelson.

The stern has much more room and was easier.

All sheathed now!!

post-8115-036872800 1331589207_thumb.jpg

post-8115-062464100 1331589219_thumb.jpg

post-8115-083398300 1331589235_thumb.jpg