Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

• Replies 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eight years ago today we lost Spike Perry. The SLIVER project was started just about that time. The project was then dedicated to the memory of Spike. The Spike Burgee will fly on FRANC

I think Legs has it right. I check SA and CA everyday. If I think I have something to add to the discussion I'll post it. With over 6,600 fan club members on Facebook now that keeps me prett

Took FRANKIE over to Shilshole today and turned her over to Green Card for some love and attention. I towed my Hadlock 23 Skiff behind so I had a way to get back home. It was strange watchin

Posted Images

Eh?

She's a good shiela and not a bit stuck up.

Does the word shiela follow the i before e rule?

I'm taken for Danish in europe. Better than Canadian?

Different versions of good gestalt....

Eh?

Danish is pastry, Canadian is bacon. No reason they can't coexist, just not in the same mouthful.

Eh?

Danish is pastry, Canadian is bacon. No reason they can't coexist, just not in the same mouthful.

Hmm you haven't tasted bacon in puff pstry Ish :D

When SWMBO and I visited NZ a couple years back everyone thought we were Canadian and that was fine with us.

Probably fine with the Kiwis too, Kim.

For that matter, I'd be willing to bet the Canadians would be fine with claiming you, too.

Eh?

Hmm you haven't tasted bacon in puff pstry Ish :D

You have a point there, I think of Danish as more dessert. Of course, no reason you can't have bacon for dessert.

When SWMBO and I visited NZ a couple years back everyone thought we were Canadian and that was fine with us.

Probably fine with the Kiwis too, Kim.

For that matter, I'd be willing to bet the Canadians would be fine with claiming you, too.

He's close enough, we could consider him an honorary Canuck. Kim's going to have to learn to say "eh" proper-like.

No offence Booms.

Just an Ozzie sense of humour.

We throw shit at NZ around here and they throw it back, it's a sort of sport.

I was under the impression the USA hand Canada played the same game.

Maybe someone changed the rules.

For example, in Oz we quIckly learn that if someone has a North American accent, we always ask if they are Canadian first, so the Canadians are not offended and the people from the US don't really care.

Well they do Ole but some on the southern side seem to mean it! Kanckistan for instance is not usually used as a familial.

My Uncle Frank lived there, sent me beaded belts from the Calgary Stampede. I miss Uncle Frank.

Thanks for the updates Kim, Keep em coming.

I have to first say, Good Work!!

Second, have you looked at mass-production.

1,000, Million dollars boats.

Might be hard to find buyers. I mean how many people are there who wants a 62 foot daysailor anyway? (I think I am a bit outside of the mainstream.)

On the 62 ft daysailor thing, I've done a fair bit of work on a local business man's 60 ft daysailor, I always thought that the whole concept was kind of silly, I mean If your going to build a 60 ft boat at least make it usable for extended usage.

Until one day that they had an electrical problem that meant sailing the boat to get the full picture as to what was going on. Some people get all the tough jobs. An afternoon sailing the boat and the penny dropped. How many boats are there in the marina with a whole lot of berths that never get used? Boats that only ever daysail? why fill the boat up with crap that you are never going to use?

This boat owner also owns a very nice power boat and has a "batch" in one of the nicest bays in the area, Why would he and his mates ever sleep on the boat?

And it was fucken awesome to sail, drove like a bloody dingy!

• Downvote 1

Dutch:

Sounds like you may have missed something here. Kim's boat has a very nice layout with al the things you would expect to find on a cruising boat. We just did it in a bit of a minimalist way.

Maybe we should start calling her a "weekender" Bob.

I have a cruising boat, and the only cruising amenity I have that Kim doesn't have is electrical refrigeration.

I love sleeping on my boat with my family or with buddies. No, it's not a fancy hotel, and that's the point. There is no better way to get to know someone than to spend a weekend sailing. It's palpable. When I cruise with someone we become friends from sharing a range of experiences away from the usual and a lot of undistracted social time.

Kim:

Then we'd have to explain that you could actually spend an entire week on the boat, or even a month.

Well we would not want to admit that, maybe we should call her "minimalist". Oh wait, you already did that........

Nice to have all that sailing length and also narrow enough beam to have a traditional, functional layout below. That is a great layout.

Bob seems to know a few things about sailboat layouts. Yes, I am very happy with the layout, especially now that I can walk around in it and see how it feels.

My original concept was to have basically no interior. But Bob and son Derek saved me from myself and we ended up with the layout you see in Bob's drawing a few posts back. And I am quite happy we did, I think SWMBO and I will very much enjoy cruising this vessel (OMG, what did I just say?)

We spent a lot of time on the boat with the kids. They were in essence "captured" and had to interact with mom and dad. Loved every minute of it.

aj.jpg

I have a cruising boat, and the only cruising amenity I have that Kim doesn't have is electrical refrigeration.

I love sleeping on my boat with my family or with buddies. No, it's not a fancy hotel, and that's the point. There is no better way to get to know someone than to spend a weekend sailing. It's palpable. When I cruise with someone we become friends from sharing a range of experiences away from the usual and a lot of undistracted social time.

Kim, you're going to have so much fun sailing that boat your garden is going to go to hell. Sailors lawn....... :P

My original concept was to have basically no interior. But Bob and son Derek saved me from myself and we ended up with the layout you see in Bob's drawing a few posts back. And I am quite happy we did, I think SWMBO and I will very much enjoy cruising this vessel (OMG, what did I just say?)

You see, this is what I was thinking. What would I like below if Kim ever gave me the boat for a week? I also felt that once Kim bonded with the boat he would most probably do some cruising on it. I can't see how you would not.

I'd plan to arrive at each harbor around 6:30pm so most of the cruisers would be there already. I'd slowly sail my way effortlessly through the moored boats five or six times, twice with main and jib and th other times probably just the main. Just to give them a good chance to look over the boat. Then I'd anchor. I'd be wearing my smug face.

Bob/Kimb - do you have a sense of speed from VPPs? While I expect her to be very quick, she will be hard to compare to other boats given her shape, I can't quite get my head around her likely sailing efficiency which should be fantastic.

The only reference point is the Farr 40 rig - and a Farr 40 would be around 0/-3 PHRF here in Western Long Island Sound. A Swede 55 is about 90 seconds slower, while I believe a Spirit 46 would roughly translate into the 40's from IRC numbers.

My suspicion is that she will be quite a lot faster for her given sail area, just wondering if there is some what to quantify it...

SailAR:

Of course. Yes, we have VPP's. I always get them. I have been getting VPP's for my boats for almost 30 years back in the day when it took the computer all night to run the program. Not sure I care to post them though. That would probably spark a a week of questions that in most cases could be answered with a careful reading of the polars. Maybe Kim will post them. I'll say this the VPP's showthe boat easily sailing faster than 12.5 knots in moderate wind speeds.

Oh hell, I'll never hear the end of it!

Winds speeds are 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20, knots. TWA.

I'd be happy to answer questions.

post-2980-0-06308100-1358952299_thumb.jpg

That's cool, Kim won't need to bother with a sym kite or a pole, looks like ~145 is as deep as he'll go. Life is good!

SailAR:

Of course. Yes, we have VPP's. I always get them. I have been getting VPP's for my boats for almost 30 years back in the day when it took the computer all night to run the program. Not sure I care to post them though. That would probably spark a a week of questions that in most cases could be answered with a careful reading of the polars. Maybe Kim will post them. I'll say this the VPP's showthe boat easily sailing faster than 12.5 knots in moderate wind speeds.

Joli, as long as Bob is talking about being smug I'll tell you that I'm feeling smug for knowing why you said that: the point of tangency on the curves for a line perpendicular to DDW is at about 145*.

But now I have a question. Do the separate curves at the same windspeed correspond to different sail configurations, or is there another reason?

kdh:

Yes, if I read your question accurately. You have two speed curves for every wind speed.

The first curve, the "upwind" curve is jib and main.

The second curve, the "downwind" curve is main and spinn.

The point at with the two curves intersect is the exact TWA that you should pop the chute if you want to go faster.

You see, this is what I was thinking. What would I like below if Kim ever gave me the boat for a week? I also felt that once Kim bonded with the boat he would most probably do some cruising on it. I can't see how you would not.

I'd plan to arrive at each harbor around 6:30pm so most of the cruisers would be there already. I'd slowly sail my way effortlessly through the moored boats five or six times, twice with main and jib and th other times probably just the main. Just to give them a good chance to look over the boat. Then I'd anchor. I'd be wearing my smug face.

I can easily see lending the boat to Bob,.........................................and Derek, and Brent, and Scott, and Kirk........Kent doesn't sail.

SailAR:

There goes my PHRF rating.....

(the tentative rating the club's rater has given me based on the drawings is -27, we owe time to Jonathon McKee's Paul Bieker designed water ballasted sled "Dark Star.")

Ha! Welcome to the club, we're -21 in race trim. Fast boats are fun boats.

SailAR:

(the tentative rating the club's rater has given me based on the drawings is -27, we owe time to Jonathon McKee's Paul Bieker designed water ballasted sled "Dark Star.")

SailAR:

Actually Dark Star owes you time. Their current as-sailed rating is -45, subject to change. You are safe for a while!

Actually Dark Star owes you time. Their current as-sailed rating is -45, subject to change. You are safe for a while!

Oh it must have changed I thought their rating was -24, but that was several years ago. I am afraid it does not matter much because I will not have lifelines on this vessel so PHRF will not let me race. I guess we will have to do some fast spectating instead.

As I sit here shivering in -15 degrees, I dream of sailing fast in a non-frozen sea! Great Dane 28 has taken me out a number of times, but the wind gods have not been in our favor. Still fun to bob around and enjoy the sensations of being off land.

Can't wait to see Sliver out of the shop and on the water, although at that point Great Dane 28 will be looking for another job. Anyway, it will be a wonderful day and I will wish you favorable seas!

Keep the updates coming! It warms me up!

kdh:

Yes, if I read your question accurately. You have two speed curves for every wind speed.

The first curve, the "upwind" curve is jib and main.

The second curve, the "downwind" curve is main and spinn.

The point at with the two curves intersect is the exact TWA that you should pop the chute if you want to go faster.

Thank you, Bob. Very satisfying. I now know everything there is to know about everything everywhere. It's a good feeling.

^^Like.^^

Dutch:

Sounds like you may have missed something here. Kim's boat has a very nice layout with al the things you would expect to find on a cruising boat. We just did it in a bit of a minimalist way.

The Salty Dog painting is really the finishing touch.

Oh it must have changed I thought their rating was -24, but that was several years ago. I am afraid it does not matter much because I will not have lifelines on this vessel so PHRF will not let me race. I guess we will have to do some fast spectating instead.

Kim. Not so. PHRF does not regulate safety requirements. That is up to the clubs to decide what PIYA safety category to invoke for thier races. Most races in the sound are Category 3 and that does not require lifelines. Lots of boats out racing don't have lifelines. I would like to see you out racing!

Thanks Bob! Can you share with us the efficiency difference between Sliver and Catari? How much more sail area to move two 62 foot boats similar speeds? Obviously very different boats, designed for different owners with different uses in mind. I find the long narrow light discplacement really interesting. Was reading some of Steve Dashew's older missives. Not sure about the aesthetics with his boats for my taste, but he makes some very interesting points and they seem to be in the same neighborhood as Sliver in terms of narrow, light, easily driven hulls.

Thanks again for sharing the polars.

SailAR:

Not sure I'd even know where to start on that comparison. The boats are so very different. One is long and medium displ and the other is long and light displ. In terms of efficieny I guess that depends on exactly how you would define that term considering the totally different sets of owner's requirements. Obviously the skinnier boat is easier to push through the water and will have a higher S/L ratio. You could call that more efficient. I guard against making generalizations about beam. Obviosly, coupled with the right hull form, i.e. Volvo boats for instance, beam can be fast. But for more "normal" boats beam is something I like to reduce as much as the owner parameters allow. CATARI could have been more "efficient" with less beam but then the layout would have been imposible. Of course at some point when you reduce beam stability has to be addressed. Given the allowable draft for Kim's area of operation draft was not an issue so I went much deeper than I could have gone on CATARI. CATARI uses beam for stability while SLIVER uses a deep, bulbed keel.

So a-wanking through the harbor you'd go.

And why don't your polars have a wanking line? Incomplete if you ask me.

Yeah, you are right. But wanking in SLIVER would be a higher level of wanking and it's my guess that the SLIVER would wank along just fine under mainsail alone.

Prepare to wank!

Wank Ho!

Hold that wank.

Steady as you wank.

Prepare for a Samurai wank.

As I sit here shivering in -15 degrees, I dream of sailing fast in a non-frozen sea! Great Dane 28 has taken me out a number of times, but the wind gods have not been in our favor. Still fun to bob around and enjoy the sensations of being off land.

Can't wait to see Sliver out of the shop and on the water, although at that point Great Dane 28 will be looking for another job. Anyway, it will be a wonderful day and I will wish you favorable seas!

Keep the updates coming! It warms me up!

Don't worry GreatDane Mom, you get to sail on the Sliver.

Kim. Not so. PHRF does not regulate safety requirements. That is up to the clubs to decide what PIYA safety category to invoke for thier races. Most races in the sound are Category 3 and that does not require lifelines. Lots of boats out racing don't have lifelines. I would like to see you out racing!

Well that is nice!! I love it when I am wrong...........sometimes.

Paps, I just did some poking around and apparently Ponzi-schemer Bernie Madoff was a NYYC member.

And from this, NYYC archives:

MEMBERS’ DRESS: Member attire for this occasion is club service dress with dark shoes, dark trousers or skirts and blue cap covers; spouses, the club colors.

Dark trousers or skirts? Like Kim's skirt? And what is a cap cover? We have some members here. Maybe they can fill us in. I'm sure Daniel is a non-matriculated member.

Edit: Oh, of course. The women wear skirts.

kdh:

You mean they want me to show up looking like a waiter?

I think a "blue cap cover" is kind of like a rubber shower cap with elastic around the edges. But it's blue plastic. You pull that over your head to get a real PR waiter look going.

I can easily see lending the boat to Bob,.........................................and Derek, and Brent, and Scott, and Kirk........Kent doesn't sail.

And I already have the pleasure of a light Bob boat so I don't qualify?

Hmmph.

I hope planing evens the playing field. But I must admit, loaning (or even a trading) a boat seems a bit, um, extreme. Or quixotic?

Hmmph.

I hope planing evens the playing field. But I must admit, loaning (or even a trading) a boat seems a bit, um, extreme. Or quixotic?

I'm happy to trade. Or crew, or just hang around swapping bon mots.

I know I've got some mots somewhere, I hope they're still bon.

Hmmph.

All of those other guys are either sons of mine or brothers. Blood being thicker than water........poor Kent, he will miss out because he is the only Bottles boy who does not sail..........

kdh:

You mean they want me to show up looking like a waiter?

I think a "blue cap cover" is kind of like a rubber shower cap with elastic around the edges. But it's blue plastic. You pull that over your head to get a real PR waiter look going.

I think Mr. Bottles needs to wear a boater, just like Charlie Barr used to do.

Hmmph.

I'm happy to trade. Or crew, or just hang around swapping bon mots.

I know I've got some mots somewhere, I hope they're still bon.

:)

Hmmph.

All of those other guys are either sons of mine or brothers. Blood being thicker than water........poor Kent, he will miss out because he is the only Bottles boy who does not sail..........

I'm looking for a new home, have you and SWMBO thought of adoption?

My God, Bob, Kim's parents cruised in a Dragon! IMHO, the boat formerly known as Sliver is, for Kim, too sybaritic to cruise!

But I'm reading Lucretius, so what the fuck do I know?

Edit: I would suggest Bruckner 7, New York Phil, Masur. It will help make my point. But in a non verbal way. Blood thicker than water, mumble, mutter, mumble....

The logic is inescapable though. But I don't think I'd loan my brother Amati. I am a selfish bastard.

Dutch:

No I didn't miss anything, Maybe what I said in my post and what I meant was a little off. Adding some bunks to a daysailor doesn’t make it a cruising boat, If you were to make Sliver a cruising boat then you would have to add this, and then maybe that. Then we would need a bit higher volume to fit this and that, and lets add some beam and displacement. Then to original design concept is gone, lost in the want for "stuff".

Kim has obviously been sailing for a long time. What I see in this boat is that Kim has looked at what he has actually used in his boat(s) and has only kept that stuff. Brilliance.

The boat I was talking about in my post has a nice galley and dining area, Yea, you could sleep in it but if you were designing the boat for sleeping on (maybe with kids or friends) you would do it different.

What you guys have done by starting with the daysailing concept then using the space available to add some creature comforts without weighting the boat down is nothing short of awesome.

• Downvote 1

I think these guys might be wearing cap covers. They're NYYC members.

Edit: If you look close in this blowup you can see the covers on their caps.

_A7U2995_zpse20c5a54.jpg

Blue cap covers is odd. I've only ever seen blue caps with separate white covers - for use in summer. The cover is kept on by a band, with a badge on it.

thumb051.jpg

AIUI, In the war, when ships had open bridges, cap covers would be removed at dusk as part of the procedure of darkening ship.

And very poor show from the NYYC that they're not wearing yachting suits. Trousers should be blue.

Oh, and is the bow fairlead going to be removable? If you're not going to sail around with an anchor dangling there like some sort of bogey/(booger), IMHO nothing looks better than an absolutely clean stem. No extraneous hardware.

Keep it in the anchor locker. Just pull it out and screw it on.

And stanchions & lifelines/pulpits (*) etc? Yay or nay?

(I haven't mentioned pushpits....)

I surprised as many ex-military here, that none have piped up what a "cover" is in military terms when referring to head dress.

Back when I was in the service a hat was refereed to as a "cover". A billed hat was referred to as a combination cap or combination cover by officers.

By NYYC description it's a Blue Cap Cover or simply a blue billed cap.

Oh, and is the bow fairlead going to be removable? If you're not going to sail around with an anchor dangling there like some sort of bogey/(booger), IMHO nothing looks better than an absolutely clean stem. No extraneous hardware.

Keep it in the anchor locker. Just pull it out and screw it on.

And stanchions & lifelines/pulpits (*) etc? Yay or nay?

(I haven't mentioned pushpits....)

Kim already said no lifelines, but I'm glad to see an anchoring hijack.

My general rule is 1 lb of anchor and 1 foot of chain per foot of LOA, x2 and set Bahamian style if sleeping, but the rule varies with boat type, bottom type, depth, etc. The general rule for the Sliver would yield a 62 lb anchor with 62 feet of appropriate size chain. It's hard to maintain a relaxed and smug look while handling such things, especially fishing them out of a locker. The smug look can really only be maintained with an electric windlass and bow rollers at that point. As for screwing it on, I always figure a shackle starts unscrewing itself on contact with the bottom, which would mean carrying some wire up there or maybe one of those fancy shackles with stopper notches, but I trust wire more.

Have we been over this somewhere in these 4,000+ posts? What kind of bottom tackle with the boat carry and how will it be handled?

Ed, Kim plans to anchor off the stern. No lifelines. Glad to have your old world perspective on the NYYC dress code.

Paps, looks like Dennis has a bad sunburn in that pic.

Bob, those shoes look like they might be wing tips--should be worn only for business, in my view. And the lady's shoes are definitely wrong.

My God, Bob, Kim's parents cruised in a Dragon! IMHO, the boat formerly known as Sliver is, for Kim, too sybaritic to cruise!

We think of the Sliver design as spartan, I don't think she will be luxurious, just long.

We think of the Sliver design as spartan, I don't think she will be luxurious, just long.

Just from looking at the drawings, I would think that the Sliver design would be quite comfortable to cruise in the NW. It appears to have a interior layout a lot like my J35 except no quarter berths. And appears to have plenty of storage.

Just from looking at the drawings, I would think that the Sliver design would be quite comfortable to cruise in the NW. It appears to have a interior layout a lot like my J35 except no quarter berths. And appears to have plenty of storage.

I expect her to be very much like our Swede 55 but with more headroom and more boat speed. We used to joke she was a 52 foot boat with a 35 foot interior. The Sliver has the same 35 foot interior with 15 feet more waterline.

(Please don't mention the storage possibilities with SWMBO, I am trying to keep this boat light.)

Olaf, apologies for delayed reply. No offence taken. : ) T'was the middle of the night, when I was woken from a nasty dream (thankfully) and obviously I was a wee bit lacking in my ability to appreciate your humor. Sorry for that.

Now back to bunnies with pancake hats, wanking and icing. Nice to see pics of NYYC HC again. It was a privilege to spend time there last summer.

... and back to the boat formerly know as Sliver.

Ed, Kim plans to anchor off the stern. No lifelines. Glad to have your old world perspective on the NYYC dress code.

Paps, looks like Dennis has a bad sunburn in that pic.

Bob, those shoes look like they might be wing tips--should be worn only for business, in my view. And the lady's shoes are definitely wrong.

Or maybe KD he was just embarrassed to be photographed in that jacket. I know I would be.

Jax:

Now, now. He's not a Fascist.

I really don't have a clue what he's going on about. Don't think he does either.

I only view sailing blogs when I'm toatally toasted. I think it's fun.

I am not a fascist, or any type of ist. I am an instigator. I have no connection to the world these boats are created. I like to see some conversation, and have some view. I mean nothing offensive.