Perry Sliver Class Day Sailor

• Replies 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eight years ago today we lost Spike Perry. The SLIVER project was started just about that time. The project was then dedicated to the memory of Spike. The Spike Burgee will fly on FRANC

I think Legs has it right. I check SA and CA everyday. If I think I have something to add to the discussion I'll post it. With over 6,600 fan club members on Facebook now that keeps me prett

Took FRANKIE over to Shilshole today and turned her over to Green Card for some love and attention. I towed my Hadlock 23 Skiff behind so I had a way to get back home. It was strange watchin

Posted Images

Guess again Rev. My hand done drawings are scattered with mis spellings. The very first, very first, plans I ever had published came out on a full page of National Fisherman and in big, black ink letters in the title block was "Accomodations".

Truth is I still can't spell it and I had to spell check it now to make sure it was mis spelled.

Guess again Rev. My hand done drawings are scattered with mis spellings. The very first, very first, plans I ever had published came out on a full page of National Fisherman and in big, black ink letters in the title block was "Accomodations".

Truth is I still can't spell it and I had to spell check it now to make sure it was mis spelled.

Nice!

Thanks to the lack of spelling abilities of a former colleague, the US Army has some 1000 vehicles in which there is a box marked "guage cluster unit". For a couple of years after that anytime he would argue something the rebuttal was "guage"...

Nice!

Thanks to the lack of spelling abilities of a former colleague, the US Army has some 1000 vehicles in which there is a box marked "guage cluster unit". For a couple of years after that anytime he would argue something the rebuttal was "guage"...

Guage cluster would be a good name for a band.

Sorry for the lack of posts, not much going on except prepping for the non skid. Not very photogenic stuff.

But the keel got cleaned up more. Rumor is that non skid to be sprayed by the end of the week. Then we can get the deck hardware mounted and move towards having a real boat.

post-8115-0-05391000-1380736788_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-83779800-1380736795_thumb.jpg

One of our CA members here stops by to visit the project often. He uses the preferred method of transportation even when he is carrying boat hardware!

My kind of guy!!

(Sailing and Cycling, my favorite sports!)

post-8115-0-13287300-1380737467_thumb.jpg

I'll be watching for when she becomes more photogenic. Probably coming to Seattle this week or next and bring my old bud Stuart down after we check on his 59' purse senier at Fishermen's Terminal.

post-4773-0-73920400-1380739110_thumb.jpg

I figured that aft hatch would open the other way, in case the boat is anchored stern-to.

Looks like that if they had done that, it would interfere with the rudderhead when open, and the hatch would be in the way of easy access.

a little hard to open from on deck... but it would give Kim the chance to crawl through and inspect the cleanliness of the cockpit lockers!

b3.jpg

I figured that aft hatch would open the other way, in case the boat is anchored stern-to.

We installed two hatches (fore and aft) that are reversible so we can leave the boat open while on the hook without worrying about rain. The forward hatch has deck levers so we can open it from on deck.

By the way Kim, the deck looks great! Can't wait to see it with the spar set, sails bent on, hanging on your mooring.

ab-1.jpg

Joli:

No. that's not a bad option at all. I just don't see it as necessary. If I could think of a time when you would have to acces the laz from aft that would be a very good solution. But I can't.

You're building to MIL-TP41 then.

Make It Like The Print For Once.

masking all done and the nonskid will be sprayed this afternoon and again tomorrow.....

We had to make a few small changes to Bob's layout but we tried as hard as possible to do like Bob drew it.

I threw a tantrum when I saw the "handle " on the hatch slider.

But other than that the boat is looking sweet. Kim and I take turns patting each other on the back.

Jordan and I are already discussing what to do with the ugly "handle".........I think it will involve a SAW.

I threw a tantrum when I saw the "handle " on the hatch slider.

But other than that the boat is looking sweet. Kim and I take turns patting each other on the back.

Jordan and I are already discussing what to do with the ugly "handle".........I think it will involve a SAW.

If it's going to be that tall, it should have two nice, rounded holes in it. But why is it that tall?

We installed two hatches (fore and aft) that are reversible so we can leave the boat open while on the hook without worrying about rain. The forward hatch has deck levers so we can open it from on deck.

By the way Kim, the deck looks great! Can't wait to see it with the spar set, sails bent on, hanging on your mooring.

ab-1.jpg

Joli:

No. that's not a bad option at all. I just don't see it as necessary. If I could think of a time when you would have to acces the laz from aft that would be a very good solution. But I can't.

Wow. Someone is flying their black anchor ball.

Tricky:

WHL had a quadruple bypass and a new heart valve installed. ( I think it's ok to say that now that he seems to be well on the mend.) He's still hard at work on the ND project but he is laying pretty low. I talked to him today, I tell him jokes just to make him feel the pain when he laughs. It's good for him.

So the marriage councelor is telling the husband how to have a happier marriage. He tells the guy, "Try not to start any sentances with "Your fucking mother,,,,,,".

Ouf. Looks good, but big areas without non-slip on the coachroof? Might make for an interesting time when dropping the main?

I thought that too for a moment but I had another look at the pdf attached to this post: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=120050&p=4332724 and saw that almost all the area on the coachroof without anti skid is either where the handrails are or is covered by the lines running from the mast base to the cockpit.

Thanks Sal. Correct. I am still amazed when some of you think we have not thought something out on this project. This project does not lack for "think time". I suspect we may run into an "oh shit" situation at some point. But we will deal with it.

This project has been very transparent to all here. It's been fairly obvious considering the lengthy discussions between Kim, Bob, Bruce, the shipwrights and apprentices; not to mention all the previous work and consultation by other engineers, boat builders, and sailors, the chance of even minor glitches are from slim to nil. I've seen a lot of very high dollar projects built over the years, and this project gets very high marks for the amount the forethought and planning.

Thanks Sal. Correct. I am still amazed when some of you think we have not thought something out on this project. This project does not lack for "think time". I suspect we may run into an "oh shit" situation at some point. But we will deal with it.

This is why I've been biting my tongue on the portside jibsheet vs coaming clearance.

For one thing, those winch drums probably stand taller than I think they do, and then there's the whole "I'm just looking at photos and drawings, they have mockups and the ACTUAL boat at hand"

But "amazed"? Really? Not just righteously quizzical or even mildly amused? :D

Keep in mind that this is a very narrow vessel. I don't think I will need to stand on the cabin top non skid very often.

As I walk around the deck (in my socks like I did yesterday) I find it very hard to believe she is 62 feet LOA, she seems much smaller which is exactly what I was trying to achieve. A small monohull vessel with the speed potential of a 62'er.

Please give Tim my best when you see him.

Do you know the one about the French lady with bugs in her bush?

Tricky:

WHL had a quadruple bypass and a new heart valve installed. ( I think it's ok to say that now that he seems to be well on the mend.) He's still hard at work on the ND project but he is laying pretty low. I talked to him today, I tell him jokes just to make him feel the pain when he laughs. It's good for him.

So the marriage councelor is telling the husband how to have a happier marriage. He tells the guy, "Try not to start any sentances with "Your fucking mother,,,,,,".

All the best to WHL....and how about a career change joke for him....

The gynecologist who became a mechanic

A gynecologist had become fed up with malpractice insurance and HMO paperwork, and was burned out. Hoping to try another career where skillful hands would be beneficial, he decided to become a mechanic. He went to the local technical college, signed up for evening classes, attended diligently, and learned all he could.

When the time of the practical exam approached, the gynecologist prepared carefully for weeks, and completed the exam with tremendous skill.

When the results came back, he was surprised to find that he had obtained a score of 150%. Fearing an error, he called the Instructor, saying, "I don't want to appear ungrateful for such an outstanding result, but I wonder if there is an error in the grade?"

The instructor said, "During the exam, you took the engine apart perfectly, which was worth 50% of the total mark. You put the engine back together again perfectly, which is also worth 50% of the mark." After a pause, the instructor added, "I gave you an extra 50% because you did it all through the muffler, which I've never seen done in my entire career!"

Ouf. Looks good, but big areas without non-slip on the coachroof? Might make for an interesting time when dropping the main?

PE,

I thought that too, but decided, given how skinny the boat is, and how much "thought" as Bob puts it has gone into this, that they've probably got it covered. Also, I'd guess it's a lot easier to add some extra non-skid should that become necessary than it is to remove non-skid that you decided you didn't need. Given all that, I decided to keep my mouth shut. But I did think it too!

Crash

As I've said before, she's not my boat so my opinion is worth 1/2 of bugger all, but yes, personally, when dropping the main when you're knackered at zero dark sparrowfart, and a wash comes past, I would prefer not to have to worry when I put my foot back that it's going to slip out from under me. But, not my boat so not my decision. If Kim's happy, then Kim's happy. He does have a lovely boat.

Is there going to be a nice metal cap to the rudderstock, with name and date?

18Tiller.jpg

20Tillerdetail.jpg

Figgers:

There is a turning block on the deck outboard and forward of the port jib sheet winch that allows the sheet to slide by the coaming. There is also sufficient width to the top of the winch base molding to move the winch outboard IF required.

The deck plan has been popsted. It's all there. But you have to look.

As I've said before, she's not my boat so my opinion is worth 1/2 of bugger all, but yes, personally, when dropping the main when you're knackered at zero dark sparrowfart, and a wash comes past, I would prefer not to have to worry when I put my foot back that it's going to slip out from under me. But, not my boat so not my decision. If Kim's happy, then Kim's happy. He does have a lovely boat.

The area without the nonskid on the cabin top will be populated with a SS handrail and many lines running between the cabin top winches and the organizers near the mast. NOT a place you want to place your feet under any circumstances. Otherwise we would have put nonskid there too.

Cheers

post-8115-0-84368500-1381330567_thumb.jpg

" Understated elegance"?

I had better start dressing better when I vist the boat. Not sure I can pull off understated elegance.

" Understated elegance"?

I had better start dressing better when I vist the boat. Not sure I can pull off understated elegance.

Now for a visual answer to the cabin top non skid issue, please note in the attached photos how the organizers at the mast line up with the cabin top winch and imagine at least four lines per side running between them.

We did not want the nonskid to abrade the lines and we generally try not to step on the cabin top lines so those issues determined the layout of the pattern.

Also note that the SS handrail really cut into what was before a wide open space of shiny paint and is now a much narrower run (under the imaginary lines running aft.)

Hopefully now everyone sees why we did what we did.

Cheers!

(I visited the project twice today and the light was different each time so you will note some light variations in the following pictures.)

I suppose it might be possible to safely step on the cabin top lines if you have your foot braced against the new SS handrails.....

post-8115-0-07746500-1381368146_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-92104700-1381368377_thumb.jpg

furler now installed so we can map out the route of the under-deck furling line. I think I have most of it figured out, all except that all important "where it appears in the cockpit problem".

No worries we have a bunch of experienced hands now working on this phase of the project and I am sure we will come up with some clever.

post-8115-0-88225100-1381369018_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-88579700-1381369031_thumb.jpg