Where to aquire White VC17

JimB

I have purchased a boat that has not seen water for a while that has a beautful white VC17 offshore bottom. I understand that this paint is no longer available in North America. Is this true and if so is there an off shore source? I hate to cover this with grey , blue or red. I do not want to strip the bottom to start over with another brand.

post-323-037638800 1304562853_thumb.jpg

VC Offshore "Shell White" is not snowy white like the bottom of your boat - it starts off a weird coppery sort of colour when newly applied and reaches its true colour after immersion, which is more of a kind of light grey.

When I still worked in the bizz there was a clear VC17. It was the base paint with out the metal (cuporous oxide) additive. The white bottom that appears on your boat is an International product for dry-sail boats. Roll on, tip, repeat, repeat, repeat, wet sand a lot. Forgot the name of the product.

That is a Martin 242. The chances of it having, EU only, VC Offshore in white are slim to none.

It is more likely VC Underwater epoxy. This can be sanded and burnished to a shine that rivals your gel-coat/paint. But has no anti-fouling properties.

If you are sailing in fresh water that bottom will be just fine. You may have to rub the bottom a couple of times a month but there is no point in ruining that bottom with AF paint.

I was looking for this very paint a few years ago in North America (VC Offshore White). Like Gouv, I was able to find the paint only in Europe, and shipping of liquid paint internationally apparently was a real pain in the ass. I guess they have to prove it is not a liquid explosive before shipping it. So we decided to go with black instead, even though white would have looked much better.

I have used white Vivid bottom paint on my powerboat, and it looks great. I did not put the effort into finishing the bottom like I would a racing sailboat, but I have to believe that, and have read that, it can be burnished to a really nice racing finish. Might be worth looking at.

I e-mailed my photo to Interlux and they agreed that this bottom is the vc underwater epoxy. Unfotunatly our marina, although fresh water, has a big time algae problem so I will have to put an AF paint on it. Pulling 2 x per month is not a good solution as our ramp is very challenging. I do not know who designed it but it is way too steep. Thank you for the comments. I think I will go with the Red VC

That is a Martin 242. The chances of it having, EU only, VC Offshore in white are slim to none.

It is more likely VC Underwater epoxy. This can be sanded and burnished to a shine that rivals your gel-coat/paint. But has no anti-fouling properties.

If you are sailing in fresh water that bottom will be just fine. You may have to rub the bottom a couple of times a month but there is no point in ruining that bottom with AF paint.

I have purchased a boat that has not seen water for a while that has a beautful white VC17 offshore bottom. I understand that this paint is no longer available in North America. Is this true and if so is there an off shore source? I hate to cover this with grey , blue or red. I do not want to strip the bottom to start over with another brand.

Do not use it if you find it. I know two boats that have used it in Buffalo and it sucks.

You're on a lake for around four months. And the water is probably too cold for anything to grow for the first 6 weeks. Don't waste your time and money with bottom paint. VC17 will slime up just as bad.

A Martin 242 is easy enough to pull over at the dock(spin halyard NOT main, unless you want a new mast)to easily scrub any algea off the hull and keel with a bottom scrubber or a long handle scrub brush. No need to haul.

You will never get the same finish with AF paint as you will with the present Epoxy coating without alot more spending time or $$$.

VC17, is simply the worst antifouling paint ever. As a matter, I would just leave the bottom unpainted then spending any money on this "paint".

You're on a lake for around four months. And the water is probably too cold for anything to grow for the first 6 weeks. Don't waste your time and money with bottom paint. VC17 will slime up just as bad.

A Martin 242 is easy enough to pull over at the dock(spin halyard NOT main, unless you want a new mast)to easily scrub any algea off the hull and keel with a bottom scrubber or a long handle scrub brush. No need to haul.

All very true! We had polished VC offshore on the 241. Pulled it over with the spin halyard and a 4:1 to the next dock over, scrub bottom & foils, relaese, rotate & repeat. Do it once a month and swim the trouble spots pre-race and you are good.

VC17, is simply the worst antifouling paint ever. As a matter, I would just leave the bottom unpainted then spending any money on this "paint".

That's a pretty strong statement.

I am not a particular fan of the product nor do I have any financial interest in teh product of the company that makes it.

But, my reaction to your post is , "This guy is either an ignorant fool or fool with some personal grudge."

My personal experience has led me to an entirely different set of opinions about VC 17. In some applications, I believe, VC 17 might be the very best product ever created.

In some applications, VC 17 would be absurdly expensive as it might need to be reapplied as often as monthly, but it would still be the smoothest paint available period.

Does your definiton of worst bottom paint ever include comparisons to any other available materials or is VC 17 the only paint you have ever tried???

Upon what personal experience are you basing your claim?

Vivid has a bright white, but its not hard.

Thanks for sharing that.

I think a lot of people think Vivid is the equivalent of VC17. Is is not. It's not similar at all.

Vivid is an ablative. It's soft. It acts for the most part just like old school messy ablatives that we hated.

If you scrub it it clouds the water, if you brush against it, it comes off on you. But it doesn't stain everything it touches like old school paints did.

It does however apply very smoothly and with the least special effort of any bottom paint I've used. Dries fast etc.

And when you put the boat on the trailer, Vivid dries hard, quite quickly. Once dry, it doesn't come off on you when you touch it. Trialer bunks dont' turn blue or stick to it.

I think of it as the-least-pain-in-the-ass-ablative available.

But it's nothing like VC.

As for anti fouling properties, I'm in a warm fresh water lake know for agressive bottom growth, and I'm not very impressed. First 4-5 months, clean as a whistle, then BAM - the growth loves the stuff, has to be cleaned weekly. But - but - it cleans almost efforlessly. Just wipe with something like a towel. That's worth something I guess.

I e-mailed my photo to Interlux and they agreed that this bottom is the vc underwater epoxy. Unfotunatly our marina, although fresh water, has a big time algae problem so I will have to put an AF paint on it. Pulling 2 x per month is not a good solution as our ramp is very challenging. I do not know who designed it but it is way too steep. Thank you for the comments. I think I will go with the Red VC

Good call.

You'd be kidding yourself if yoiu think you can keep a clean brite white bottom in a growth area with a wet sailed boat. Maaaayyyybe if you pull it Every Saturday and scrub it to within a micron....

Those purty white bottoms are for trailer queens.

Vivid has a bright white, but its not hard.

Thanks for sharing that.

I think a lot of people think Vivid is the equivalent of VC17. Is is not. It's not similar at all.

Vivid is an ablative. It's soft. It acts for the most part just like old school messy ablatives that we hated.

If you scrub it it clouds the water, if you brush against it, it comes off on you. But it doesn't stain everything it touches like old school paints did.

It does however apply very smoothly and with the least special effort of any bottom paint I've used. Dries fast etc.

And when you put the boat on the trailer, Vivid dries hard, quite quickly. Once dry, it doesn't come off on you when you touch it. Trialer bunks dont' turn blue or stick to it.

I think of it as the-least-pain-in-the-ass-ablative available.

But it's nothing like VC.

As for anti fouling properties, I'm in a warm fresh water lake know for agressive bottom growth, and I'm not very impressed. First 4-5 months, clean as a whistle, then BAM - the growth loves the stuff, has to be cleaned weekly. But - but - it cleans almost efforlessly. Just wipe with something like a towel. That's worth something I guess.

Thanks for sharing that.

Archived