News from SF Embarcadero...

Mariner

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

US flag back to front. Crane area will certainly be closed off to public.

What's the purpose of the wing shed?

Broken wing storage and repair facility .

I'd think OR would use Pier 80 and if Artemis is in it they'd use Alameda. Probably lots of propriatory info with the wings even at that stage of the competition.

^^^

Nope.

52. AC VILLAGE

52.1. All Competitors shall lease a Team Base at the AC Village from which they shall conduct

their operations at the Venue. If all Team Bases have been allocated the Event Authority

will endeavor to find an alternative location at the Venue but will be under no obligation.

Team Bases may not be of equal size or prominence.

^^^

Nope.

52. AC VILLAGE

52.1. All Competitors shall lease a Team Base at the AC Village from which they shall conduct

their operations at the Venue. If all Team Bases have been allocated the Event Authority

will endeavor to find an alternative location at the Venue but will be under no obligation.

Team Bases may not be of equal size or prominence.

Depends on what is is.:rolleyes: Thats a pretty broad statement and one could argue maintenance is not part of operations.

Either way its still an interesting question.

What's the purpose of the crane, for that matter

The presentation/unveiling of the AC Teams/AC72 Yachts will be held at the 'AC Park' (pier 27/29) and at times during the event teams are required to publicly display their AC72 at the direction of the event organiser. The wing shed will be so the teams can store the wings at night while the AC72's are on display.

Viewing party in SF for Newport racing

Posted on June 25, 2012 at 6:12 pm by Tom FitzGerald in America's Cup Bay Area sailing fans will gather at a viewing party for the opening day of this week’s America’s Cup World Series in Newport, R.I.

The party will be held Thursday from 5-8 p.m. at Reed & Greenough, 3251 Scott St., San Francisco. A replay of the day’s ACWS races will be shown, and America’s Cup gear will be given away.

I'd think OR would use Pier 80 and if Artemis is in it they'd use Alameda. Probably lots of propriatory info with the wings even at that stage of the competition.

Dude I was joking :P I will remember the smiley face next time .

The broken wing storage facility will be a row of dumpsters behind GGYC :D

USA 17 is on a truck at pier 80.

According to Brad Webb she is going on display at Pier 80. I guess that is why the wraps are off.

edit: old location, I guess she is moving out front? Any dressing-up going-on out there?

post-43532-015518900 1340743175_thumb.jpg

Look at that! They stepped a mast. They must have some old soft sails lying around somewhere. So close to sailing.... so close.

Where, where??

Wistful thinking. It's a crane not a mast. :-) Sometimes we see what we want to see.

Dude I was joking :P I will remember the smiley face next time .

The broken wing storage facility will be a row of dumpsters behind GGYC :D

I keep waiting for someone to post the Mister Mister Broken Wing song!

USA 17 is on a truck at pier 80.

According to Brad Webb she is going on display at Pier 80. I guess that is why the wraps are off.

edit: old location, I guess she is moving out front? Any dressing-up going-on out there?

post-43532-015518900 1340743175_thumb.jpg

Seems like an odd diversion of resources when we all beleive that deep within that shed the supper duper 72 is being assembled. All of a suden they decide to do something with our beloved USA 17? wish they'd do it right and step a mast and put some sails on . they could probably fill some budget holes doing some charter business and at the same time train a few multi hullers.

Would love to it sail again some day too.. Hell, ship A5 to the Bay too if there are still any sails for it.

The 'all of a sudden' here may be because when they roll the AC72 out, it has to come through those doors; and they'll want to do some ops there.

AC 4o what? Newport where? Giants shut out the Dodgers two games in a row first time since 87. Maybe there'll be some sort of sailing regatta start in the next couple days somewhere back east.

Pier 29 facade should be easy to restore after fire

John King

Published 04:11 p.m., Tuesday, June 26, 2012

628x471.jpg

• The clean up and investigation of Pier 29 along the Embarcadero, on Friday June 22, 2012, in San Francisco, Calif., continues after a fire destroyed part of the roof and the front of the building, on Wednesday June 20, 2012 Photo: Michael Macor, The Chronicle / SF The clean up and investigation of Pier 29 along the Embarcadero, on...
  • 628x471.jpg The clean up and investigation of Pier 29 along the Embarcadero, on Friday June 22, 2012, in San Francisco, Calif., continues after a fire destroyed part of the roof and the front of the building, on Wednesday June 20, 2012 Photo: Michael Macor, The Chronicle / SF The clean up and investigation of Pier 29 along the Embarcadero, on...
  • 628x471.jpg The clean up and investigation of Pier 29 along the Embarcadero, on Friday June 22, 2012, in San Francisco, Calif., continues after a fire destroyed part of the roof and the front of the building, on Wednesday June 20, 2012 Photo: Michael Macor, The Chronicle / SF The clean up and investigation of Pier 29 along the Embarcadero, on...

As the smoke cleared last week from the fire that toppled the historic entryway to Pier 29, San Francisco officials vowed to rebuild the neoclassical facade as good as new.

After all, the arched bulkhead dated to World War I. It marked the beginning of a robust procession that curves north along the Embarcadero to Pier 39 and is part of a 600-acre National Historic Landmark District.

All of which sounds as cozy as fog. But will the erection of a new facade that resembles an old friend in fact be "historic"? Or is it another step in the waterfront's journey from working port to atmospheric theme park?

Judging by the initial response of preservationists, this is one case where sleight of hand will be no problem at all.

"Enough of the structure remains to build from accurately," says Charles Chase, who chairs the city's Historic Preservation Commission and inspected the site last weekend. "Also, the port has incredible documentation" in terms of taking the same approach as before.

Another architect on the commission, Andrew Wolfram, stresses the need to keep a semblance of continuity along an Embarcadero that already has undergone substantial change. And while the historic facades look imposing, we're not talking earthy landmarks of granite and stone.

"Those bulkheads that appear so solid are an illusion," Wolfram points out. "They're just stucco on wood framing."

• All of which sounds as cozy as fog. But will the erection of a new facade that resembles an old friend in fact be "historic"? Or is it another step in the waterfront's journey from working port to atmospheric theme park?

• Good question. And why we have the ICOMOS charter on heritage conservation.

• Fundamentalists claim you pick a date and restore the structure to that time.

• Others take a more relativist view. The say "heritage" is fluid and dynamic. Hence, the one-date idea is crazy.

• We had a big fight around these issues during "restoration" of the Waitangi Treaty House in NZ.

• If I was running the Pier 29 fix-up it would retain its WW! ambience - as closely as posible.

• I hope they do a good job on this.

Since when are building from 1915 considered "historic"?

In a young country founded by scoundrels, misfits, debtors, outcasts, and the persecuted by faith that stood by our allies in 2 world wars.

In a young country founded by scoundrels, misfits, debtors, outcasts, and the persecuted by faith that stood by our allies in 2 world wars.

I resemble that remark!

There are quite a few 20th century listed buildings in Britain, the best known being Coventry Cathedral, 1956-62. We have some older ones too. ("Listing" is an official designation of "special architectural and historic interest" which has planning law implications.)

Thanks - so which parking lot is it sitting in now? Up against the tram tracks out front I would guess, but is that still on Pier 80 or one of the adjacent ones?

Would love to it sail again some day too.. Hell, ship A5 to the Bay too if there are still any sails for it.

The 'all of a sudden' here may be because when they roll the AC72 out, it has to come through those doors; and they'll want to do some ops there.

May as well.

And, in addition, post some photoshopped foil photos.

And set the Twitterati ablaze!

Love it, and need to get the trash threads off of page 1 right?

wow really --I guess you want only ggyc / oracakle threads--fraud /photoshop false info threads

which are already there

evilsin and ggyc have mostly created the trash threads with their paid fingers ie spinray / sw soiler - mariner --hilarious

thanks for the joke/ laugh --dumbass

So Steve Erickson (LR) clarified that the 'circus' comes to S.F. by train.

Given the delays where will the ACWS set up? Pier 80? Is that why the shifted US17 off the back lawn?

They are due to race in 49 odd days from now right? And practice earlier.

So Steve Erickson (LR) clarified that the 'circus' comes to S.F. by train.

Given the delays where will the ACWS set up? Pier 80? Is that why the shifted US17 off the back lawn?

They are due to race in 49 odd days from now right? And practice earlier.

^^^^ Getting called a dumbass by MSP is sort of a badge of honor these days.

Nav I've been wondering the same but looking back at the presentation, their plan has been to use Marina Green for the 2012 village and 30/32 for teams, and 80 for team logistics. I guess they'll set up a temporary dock off the marina green.

Good catch on Steve Erickson mentioning train travel, heard but forgot it.

All nations should be rehabilitating their rail systems so this is a good move.

Less carbon.

And containers go on trains.

It should be quite a sight.

And maybe the first use of rail in AC history? Alright, WSL history?

Can anyone recall a previous use of rail?

All nations should be rehabilitating their rail systems so this is a good move.

Less carbon.

And containers go on trains.

It should be quite a sight.

And maybe the first use of rail in AC history? Alright, WSL history?

Can anyone recall a previous use of rail?

TK

as usual some good points

only ggyc rail has been what

we have seen as the ggyc TRAIN WRECK ie evilsin sf land deal extortion

maybe ggyc can add a train ride at the circus since ggyc burned down the sf historic bldgs

cheers msp

Tēnā koutouKei te pēhea koe?

Brad mentioned 999 Marin St. That is the corner of Marin and Illinois. Have to take a run up there tomorrow.

Thats just across the street from OR's HQ at Pier 80

The most recent plan and timeline was linked to at Mojosail, if anyone wants to track that down.

Found it: http://www.bcdc.ca.g...12/0607AC34.pdf

Wow - that's thick!

The exhibits are missing though?? A visual would be better than all that reading!

I note though that it acknowledges that 30/32 might not be usable in time for 2012.

^ thanks, exactly what we were looking for above

--

new by KL, includes pics and more

--

American as apple pie, USA-17, and in America now for her first July 4th as an America’s Cup winner.

But will she ever sail again? Probably not.

Which is not exactly a first.

I well remember the horror of watching the 2010 America’s Cup challenger, with its giant wing, stalled on the starting line of Race One. I remember too the thrill, when the wing attached to the breeze, of watching the monster going higher and faster, higher and faster, to a win of more than 16 minutes.

Since Race Two (February 14, 2010) USA-17 has been sitting on the hard, either in Valencia or in San Francisco, at Pier 80, at the foot of Cezar Chavez Street. It’s not that her crew wouldn’t love to sail her again, but the boat that brought the America’s Cup back to America is a demon for sucking down resource, the same resources that are needed to make America’s Cup 34 happen in 2013.

I mean, they actually raced with a 223-foot wing . . .

http://blueplanettimes.com/?p=9177

Brad mentioned 999 Marin St. That is the corner of Marin and Illinois. Have to take a run up there tomorrow.

Thats just across the street from OR's HQ at Pier 80

Just took a look this evening after dinner. She is out of the shed and unwrapped, but still surrounded by chain link fencing - hard to get a good photo. Smaller than I pictured her in my minds eye and a bit more ungainly/industrial on the hard than the graceful racer she shows in the videos. Still, a remarkable craft to see.

No sign of the 45s, they mist be tucked into the shed, at lease for the weekend. Fair number of cars parked behind the fencing so I guess further development is proceeding apace.

I don't ever use this word, but this video is sick! From Top Gear and almost nothing to do with sailing, except for the song at the end, here is a car that takes full advantage of the streets of San Francisco.

One has to wonder how they got the permits to do this. (Can't remember how to post full vid in thread).

I don't ever use this word, but this video is sick! From Top Gear and almost nothing to do with sailing, except for the song at the end, here is a car that takes full advantage of the streets of San Francisco.

One has to wonder how they got the permits to do this. (Can't remember how to post full vid in thread).

i love the gymkhana videos, ive been waiting for this to come out, thanks

AC content- RedBull on helmet.

I wonder if any birds were disturbed during this event and if they expended any extra energy due to the disturbance. Seems a worthy research topic.

This might be better than Steve McQueen's ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4mLNnxZM38

There has to be a way for the AC to leverage this! I still get a kick out of the "Come Sail Away" song at (near) the end. The Fremont street exit off the Bay Bridge will never be the same for me after seeing this.

Cute enough color clip, from the latest ACU

We never plan crashes, but they happen at this extreme level of sailing. The 34th America's Cup holds a significant amount of risk on the water. Sailors are more fit than ever, and are required to wear helmets, as accidents have and will happen. To date, sailors have been projected through shrink-wrap during training on San Francisco Bay (we won't name names, Russell!). Helmets are apart of the new America's Cup game. During racing in Newport, we had a chat with the athletes to find out the story behind their helmet numbers.

Looks like he went up Vermont Street ("the" crookedest street, not Lombard), which is not far from P80. (there's your AC content)

I'm not in that target demographic anymore, but I can appreciate the mad skillz these guys have. The real-life recreations that Hot Wheels has been doing lately with Tanner Foust are also fun to watch.

Somewhat amusingly, at the other extreme, there have been complaints about too many winners in F1 this season. What a joke. Hard to care about it anymore.

Looks like some of my crew running late for Rolex BBS dock time.

A dedicated bunch they are.

The local news ran a story on the gymkhana tonight. They did get permits, the bay bridge was momentarily cleared of traffic, but they were only allowed two takes on an early Saturday morning and then the police let the traffic follow slowly along behind the production crew. They were required to pay the city to clean up the tire tracks after their 4 days of shooting and the permits alone cost a cool million.

Good night all.

Cute enough color clip, from the latest ACU

We never plan crashes, but they happen at this extreme level of sailing. The 34th America's Cup holds a significant amount of risk on the water. Sailors are more fit than ever, and are required to wear helmets, as accidents have and will happen. To date, sailors have been projected through shrink-wrap during training on San Francisco Bay (we won't name names, Russell!). Helmets are apart of the new America's Cup game. During racing in Newport, we had a chat with the athletes to find out the story behind their helmet numbers.

Saw where the ESS guys were wearing helmets last weekend, too.

The local news ran a story on the gymkhana tonight...

That guy has clearly never driven in San Francisco before. He didn't hit one other car, even when he parked.

Koukel

That guy has clearly never driven in San Francisco before. He didn't hit one other car, even when he parked.

Koukel

Have you seen how often he has practiced for that one take? Just look at the black stripes on the tarmac that were already there when he approaches the respective drift areas. Telling, eh? (This does not mean that I don't have the uttermost respect for that madman!!! Hell, we work for the same company smile.gif.)

Koukel

Have you seen how often he has practiced for that one take? Just look at the black stripes on the tarmac that were already there when he approaches the respective drift areas. Telling, eh? (This does not mean that I don't have the uttermost respect for that madman!!! Hell, we work for the same company smile.gif.)

that was ken's 5th video, he also does proper rallying, he is very well practiced!!!

NBC newsclip, JS and JK comment

10 teams for the ACWS in SF? BARF #9? Who is #10?

WetHog :ph34r:

BAR #1 & Artemis Racing #2 will make it 10 team boats in ACWS SF #1, up from the 8 who raced Newport. No mistake by RC (and by others elsewhere) on '10.'

AR is already posting 'reminiscences of Sagunto' photo at their FB, they are on the way with it all headed to SF. Their first 'memory' shot is of the Sagunto AC45, it's a good one.

My Ford is no Fiesta, it's a Sporka. And indeed from Almusaffes, VLC. Remember, the "official cars" for AC33 were also Fords. O.k., BOR had a different provider, hehe.

Did you drive that to Lorient?? :o

My Ford is no Fiesta, it's a Sporka. And indeed from Almusaffes, VLC. Remember, the "official cars" for AC33 were also Fords. O.k., BOR had a different provider, hehe.

Did you drive that to Lorient?? :o

Is this a Sporka??

Better not drive it SanFran.....

Kidding!!!tongue.gif

Take pride in your Ford, I love mine. Well mine isn't a Ford by name, but it has a Ford motor, and it was built in Michigan, and well its a Ford. ;)

33w7900.jpg

No, HHN92, we took the big car to Lorient, and yes, A Florida Redneck, it is, although mine is Racing Blue (of course). Hoggie, your 3,53% Ford may be as much "Ford" as mine, as both companies share most of the suppliers anyway.

Ahem, back to the actual topic? Yes, yes please?

BAR #1 & Artemis Racing #2 will make it 10 team boats in ACWS SF #1, up from the 8 who raced Newport. No mistake by RC (and by others elsewhere) on '10.'

AR is already posting 'reminiscences of Sagunto' photo at their FB, they are on the way with it all headed to SF. Their first 'memory' shot is of the Sagunto AC45, it's a good one.

covered by this....

A new Competitor may declare a maximum of 10 soft sails for the 2012-2013

ACWS. A Competitor who completed the 2011-2012 ACWS with one boat

racing, but enters two boats for the 2012-2013 ACWS, may declare a

maximum of 10 soft sails for the "new" boat entered.

BAR #1 & Artemis Racing #2 will make it 10 team boats in ACWS SF #1

covered by this....

A new Competitor may declare a maximum of 10 soft sails for the 2012-2013

ACWS. A Competitor who completed the 2011-2012 ACWS with one boat

racing, but enters two boats for the 2012-2013 ACWS, may declare a

maximum of 10 soft sails for the "new" boat entered.

Bingo. Artemis is currently the only team that can apply to.

Here's the shot I mentioned, nice one:

555770_10150928567171087_1313843866_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/ArtemisRacing

Koukel

that was ken's 5th video, he also does proper rallying, he is very well practiced!!!

Oh, sorry to be so subtle. I found driving in frisco a lot like bumper cars, but not so flat. Don't get me wrong. Beautiful town (after it rains) and so full of life, crazy people and men wearing leather riding gear. I've never sailed there though. I had a spot grinding on a 70 for big boat series, but it was the last couple days of my honeymoon and my wife suggested we go to Carmel instead.

I'm a fan. Wish I could make it for AC45s (may still on spur of the moment), and will definitely be there for Louis Vuitton.

Koukel

at http://www.americascup.com/en/Latest/News/2012/7/34th-Americas-Cup-moving-to-new-waterfront-home/

34TH AMERICA’S CUP MOVING TO NEW WATERFRONT HOME

POSTED ON 13 JULY 2012

Headquarters for the 34th America’s Cup will be moving to Pier 23, to a site adjacent to the future AC Village along the San Francisco waterfront. Doors will open at the new office on Monday, July 23.

“This move to the Embarcadero is an important step on our journey as we set up our operations on the San Francisco waterfront,” noted Stephen Barclay, the CEO of the 34th America’s Cup.

The first event of the new 2012-13 AC World Series season is from August 21-26. Racing is on San Francisco Bay, with the public AC Village located on Marina Green. A second AC World Series event will be held in San Francisco in October before a full season of racing in the city from July through September of 2013.

The new physical and postal address for the 34th America’s Cup, from July 23, will be:

Pier 23, Suite 100

San Francisco, CA 94111

at http://www.americasc...aterfront-home/

34TH AMERICA'S CUP MOVING TO NEW WATERFRONT HOME

POSTED ON 13 JULY 2012

Headquarters for the 34th America's Cup will be moving to Pier 23, to a site adjacent to the future AC Village along the San Francisco waterfront. Doors will open at the new office on Monday, July 23.

"This move to the Embarcadero is an important step on our journey as we set up our operations on the San Francisco waterfront," noted Stephen Barclay, the CEO of the 34th America's Cup.

The first event of the new 2012-13 AC World Series season is from August 21-26. Racing is on San Francisco Bay, with the public AC Village located on Marina Green. A second AC World Series event will be held in San Francisco in October before a full season of racing in the city from July through September of 2013.

The new physical and postal address for the 34th America's Cup, from July 23, will be:

Pier 23, Suite 100

San Francisco, CA 94111

Coming down in the worldwink.gif

Seriously though - hopefully getting out of the high-rise and down onto the Pier will rejuvenate them all and keep them (that need it) in touch with the wet smelly reality of sailboat racing.

Mayor watches as final girder put in place for cruise terminal

San Francisco's long-awaited cruise terminal at Pier 27 "topped out" Wednesday as workers, watched closely by Mayor Ed Lee and other city officials, put the final steel girder in place.Coming just weeks after a similar ceremony at San Francisco General Hospital, it's another example of the city getting things done, the mayor said in brief remarks before the ceremony.

"I love these topping offs because all of us want to see if the delivery is as real as the promises were," he said. "There has been a prolonged discussion as to whether we can deliver and this shows that yes we can."

The girder was topped with an American flag and the traditional evergreen tree and signed not only by the mayor and city and port officials, but also by many of the union workers involved in the project.

Even as the mayor spoke, the crash of hammers and sizzle of welding torches echoed in the background as workers continued their efforts on the structure, which is scheduled to welcome its first cruise ship in spring of 2014.

But before that happens, the structure will serve as the hospitality center for the America's Cup yacht races next year. The area around Piers 27 and 29 will be the center of activity for the races, with the finish line just beyond the new terminal.

The finished terminal will include a 2.5-acre public park along the Embarcadero, designed to draw more people to the city's waterfront. The facility is expected to boost the city's cruise business, bringing in an additional $40 million a year to the city and creating 300 new jobs.

In an "only in San Francisco" moment, Lee recalled the past unsuccessful efforts to build a new home for the cruise industry in San Francisco by thanking city and port officials for the "building consensus implementation phase of this project."

From AC.com for Aug ACWS. Will be good exposure for the little YC that could to be so close.

But too bad the team bases will not be right there too.

For those who have never been, Marina Green is the Cityfront and looks onto the Golden Gate Bridge... awesome vista should be fantastic TV too.

614420_497735750252863_722507711_o.jpg

The Marina Green represnts all that is good about SF. Diversity of cultures and social standings, dogs and frizbees, volleyball, catch, girls/guys on rollerblaes, picnicers, breathtaking view of the bay and the GG Bridge etc, etc. Its really nice when the sun is out.

The end of the spit passed the GGYC will be a fine place to watch from, and for photos (if not on the water) a long lens the path on the hill between Ft Mason and Aquatic Park has been good for the Blue Angels.

Archived