Next Bowman union shirt

Bedford

We on the bow made the helm swap for one race (Dad to front of boat).

Discussion was over after that episode about the pace on the bow.

Oh, and we especially like it when you remind us to check that the halyard is clear or ask if the spinnaker bag is clipped on.

What's a spinnaker bag doing on deck?

Oh, and we especially like it when you remind us to check that the halyard is clear or ask if the spinnaker bag is clipped on.

Soooo, the next time we have to do a bald headed change because we got locked out up top, we should bite our lip, STFU, and just assume that it will never happen again...right?

+1

+1

Often on many boats, the first hoist is out of the bag. The rest are out of the hatch. Also, bigger boats (70+ feet) tend to hoist from the bag. Now "HURRY UP" and get me a Red Bull and some beef jerky!

The bow does what needs doing. BEFORE the orders are even thought of let alone given.

If only that were true for all... unfortunately sometimes gentle words of encouragement are needed. That said, I dont want to be up there so thanks.

The bow does what needs doing. BEFORE the orders are even thought of let alone given.

If only that were true for all... unfortunately sometimes gentle words of encouragement are needed. That said, I dont want to be up there so thanks.

We love it up there, so it's our pleasure. Enjoy the view from the back.

"The Bow takes orders, it does not give them."

Neither takes nor gives....simply does

Thats the definition of a good Bowman.

The guy that does bow for me has a shirt that says JUST DRIVE THE FUCKING BOAT on the back.

Never, absolutely never in the history of yachting has anything happened faster on the bow of a sailboat because some dweeb at the back of the bus said, "Hurry up!".

ya know dude, your not as young and nimble as you used to be. your days up there are numbered. oh, btw, next time let's send someone 50 lbs lighter than you up the rig...

"I'm not paranoid, I'm foredeck"

Instructions I give when training newbie foredeck wannabes:

" Always remember, the guys in the back of the boat are trying their best to kill you."

I don't look at it as them trying to kill me so much as they just don't care whether I survive or not; so long as the maneuver is completed before I die (or not)

Never, absolutely never in the history of yachting has anything happened faster on the bow of a sailboat because some dweeb at the back of the bus said, "Hurry up!".

Thats why we changed it to "Hurry the f#$% up!!!".......

:lol:

Just remember the bowman moves as fast as they want to no matter how loud you yell.

Also please don't forget that we don't always have the luxury of using a winch to make things for easy us.

Remember a bowman is worth their weight in gold even if they are slightly over weight(only slightly) no one else wants to do their job as you don't get comfy seats on the bow

As for the after gaurd trying to a kill their bowman it is true. I have had poles dropped onto my head instead of being pulled up. One helsman did a purposeful jibe while I was trying to reef the main in the middle of a race. still have the scars on my leg from the genoa sheet going taut around it.

On the boats I raced on it was me doing the yelling as sheets and poles were never eased or moved fast enough from the pretend sailors at the back of the boat. If you havn't worked the bow you don't really know how to sail.

There's some gold in this thread. I'm getting the popcorn and beer...

Karma's a bitch. Guess where the skipper sent me, tonight? dry.gif

A long long, LONG time ago I helped start a similar group in Cowes - the "British Association of Racing Foredeckers" - aka "BARF".

Motto was: "Offshore racing boats are like bobsleighs. It's the guys in the back who use the brakes."

I think we even made some shirts. If any have survived 35 years of alternate abuse and moths I'll dig one out, photo, and post.

thing is - bow job today ain't the same as it was 30 years ago

metal poles - wire guys - peels - ounce and a half kites - and boats rolling spreader to spreader

none of that stuff today - pull a string and up it goes - pull another and down it goes

sometimes all the bow does now is watch the kite go up and down and make confusing hand signals near other boats and the start line

"The Foredeck: where good work goes unnoticed and mistakes come with their own car alarm and flashing lights"

No shit!!

I need this quote on a shirt.

thing is - bow job today ain't the same as it was 30 years ago

metal poles - wire guys - peels - ounce and a half kites - and boats rolling spreader to spreader

none of that stuff today - pull a string and up it goes - pull another and down it goes

sometimes all the bow does now is watch the kite go up and down and make confusing hand signals near other boats and the start line

WTF are you sailing, a MacGregor26X?

As a life long bowman, I cut my teeth (and just about every other body part) on wire braces and halliards and mourned not at their passing. But some things never change.

Headsails still need to be changed and properly race packed, peels still happen,even with assys, sheets still need changing, some boats still have poles that need end for ending or dipping through gybes while the backend morons do their level best to wipe the bowdude off the deck. I could go on.

And most importantly, advice from down aft still needs to be ignored!

Those hand signals have been carefully developed over many years because bowmen worked out long ago that cockpit tailgunners are hard of hearing. Otherwise, why would they shout so much? (Also its easier to signal than speak when you are mortally hungover)

On the boats I raced on it was me doing the yelling as sheets and poles were never eased or moved fast enough from the pretend sailors at the back of the boat. If you havn't worked the bow you don't really know how to sail.

Oh how true.

make confusing hand signals near other boats and the start line

Surely a 2 second conversation between the helm and bow before you leave the dock could solve this problem...Call me crazy...

Bowman was carrying on about some crap one day - mastman turns and says "if you haven't got anything smart to say, get the the back of the boat with the rest of the idiots!"

Enough said

One of my racing crew (and old college buddy) says that he likes me on the helm because it keeps me away from other tasks where I might do more harm

FB- Doug

The tactician always thinks the bow man does a shitty job and the bow always thinks the tactician is doing shitty but they never swap...

Best thing a bowman can say..."just turn the boat"

If you have to tell us you're good, you're probably not so stfu and get good so all any driver has to do is turn the boat...

Real bowmen don't worry about what a shirt says, actions speak volumes

The tactician always thinks the bow man does a shitty job and the bow always thinks the tactician is doing shitty but they never swap...

what difference would switching make. They'd still think the same thing. Just from a different perspective.

They probably can't switch because the tactician wouldn't know what to do with all the strings and sails on the pointy end.

We might not pay for the ride, but they cannot win without us.

Having been there for years, but now in the back of the boat wiggling the stick, I have complete respect for our bowman. But now in his late 50s', though you would never know he wasn't in his late 30's (see, I know who to suck up to), he is moving back to the back of the boat. He is really enjoying the change of pace, but still isn't willing to completely give up his spot on the bow. Just those 3 bouy races a day in breeze can make him a bit tired at the end of the day. LOL And we are sailing one of those old IOR boats that have big headsails, metal poles,lots of headsail changes, ounce and a half chutes, etc. etc, but not very often are we swinging from spreader to spreader if I do my job right.

I remember the wire guys, trumpet poles(anyone else use that "wonderful invention), huge heavy poles, banding big chutes and all that fun stuff.

Archived