Rahm's new Police Chief on gun rights

Happy Jack

Speaking to parishoners at St. Sabina Church earlier this month, Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy took to the microphone after Father Michael Pfleger spoke about gun control.

"Now I want you to connect one more dot on that chain of the African American history in this country, and tell me if I’m crazy. Federal gun laws that facilitate the flow of illegal firearms, into our urban centers across this country, that are killing our black and brown children," he said."

So the Second Amendment is secretly a plot to make Blacks and Browns shoot each other.

I think I'll put Chicago on my do not vist list.

http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2221691&spid=

Ah shit, this guy's 30 years late on this topic. Cuz everyone knows that Feds were directly/indirectly pushing coke & crack onto the Blacks in Da 'Hood in a thinly veiled attempt to get them all to dope themselves to death.

Sheesh......

Speaking to parishoners at St. Sabina Church earlier this month, Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy took to the microphone after Father Michael Pfleger spoke about gun control.

"Now I want you to connect one more dot on that chain of the African American history in this country, and tell me if I’m crazy. Federal gun laws that facilitate the flow of illegal firearms, into our urban centers across this country, that are killing our black and brown children," he said."

So the Second Amendment is secretly a plot to make Blacks and Browns shoot each other.

Ok, I just read what this dumb-ass said, and I highly doubt that I've heard anything more idiotic and nonsensical coming from an officials mouth in years. Where was Sarah Palin?

Jfc, where do these people come from?.....

Ok, I just read what this dumb-ass said, and I highly doubt that I've heard anything more idiotic and nonsensical coming from an officials mouth in years. Where was Sarah Palin?

I didn't think firearms were illegal and what law 'facilitates' their flow? Are there county laws outside of Chicago that make it mandatory to take a purchased firearm into the city?

It seems like you're saying that the Second Amendment protects illegal firearms trafficking.

It seems like you're saying that the Second Amendment protects illegal firearms trafficking.

Dum Dum has undoubtedly learned his lesson lately, and will be very careful to avoid taking a stand on anything, given that when he does, it usually ends up being a cigar that explodes in his face.

The imagery of guns 'flowing' into anywhere is disingenuous. Goods go to where the demand is. If there were no demand for guns, they would not 'flow' into these neighborhoods.

This is getting a lot of play on talk radio since IL will soon become the only state where concealed carry is still illegal is coupled with a recent emergence of flash mob muggings and shoplifting.

This will be a summer of reckoning for Chicago. The Taste is going on right now, and I know CPD is on edge based on recent events like what happened at Oak St. Beach over Memorial and the rise in flash mob thugs.

Daley was dead set against guns but Rahm is going to have to either relent or hire a shitload of cops. Since the city has a busted budget, it should be interesting.

If Chicago wants to take its streets back - which it has to because tourism is such a huge part of the economy - there will need to be changes.

With the city council being all nicey-nice right now, maybe some rational conversations can occur.

The laws are F'ed on a lot of levels. There was a purse snatching incident where a lady got her purse lifted and a construction worker laid the perp out with an elbow and held him until the cops came.

He got charged and fined for battery.

Daley was dead set against guns but Rahm is going to have to either relent or hire a shitload of cops.

Shitload of cops it will be, then...

...and I think the most simple thing we can do, and we've gotta make this a number one issue as a test vote and then take it into the election, that is: if you are on the no fly list because you are known as maybe a possible terrorist, you cannot buy a handgun in America.

Now we all know that the pen is mightier than the sword, so I say we expand on his idea and say no first amendment rights for people on "the list" either. Why should terrorists use our constitution to spread their message? And another thing: why should they be voting? If someone is on that list, we need to ensure that their voter registration is revoked. We do not need terrorists picking our leaders any more! It's gotten almost as bad as all the terrorist incidents involving handguns and airplanes that he's trying to prevent here. Hey, when did those happen anyway?

I just remembered that The Nurse has a cousin who does a little radio talk show bit in Chicago once a day. Being rather 'conservative' in his views, I'm gonna ask him what his take is on this shit going on in his stupid backwater town.......

I am happy to not be living in chicago, or anywhere in illinois. Actually I am happy to live in a place where the general population is comfortable handling guns, and being around guns, and funny how few people are killed or injured or robbed at gunpoint. I have no facts, this is just my opinion

Daley was dead set against guns but Rahm is going to have to either relent or hire a shitload of cops.

Shitload of cops it will be, then...

...and I think the most simple thing we can do, and we've gotta make this a number one issue as a test vote and then take it into the election, that is: if you are on the no fly list because you are known as maybe a possible terrorist, you cannot buy a handgun in America.

Now we all know that the pen is mightier than the sword, so I say we expand on his idea and say no first amendment rights for people on "the list" either. Why should terrorists use our constitution to spread their message? And another thing: why should they be voting? If someone is on that list, we need to ensure that their voter registration is revoked. We do not need terrorists picking our leaders any more! It's gotten almost as bad as all the terrorist incidents involving handguns and airplanes that he's trying to prevent here. Hey, when did those happen anyway?

Heck, you can use a pen just to write somebody's name on the no fly list. It doesn't take much.

25 years as a NY cop, in his case. The whole quote was: "She was caribou hunting and talking about the right to bear arms. Why wasn't she at the crime scene with me?"

Fact is, gun laws that are fine and dandy for country folk and affluent neighborhoods are not real popular in the ghetto.

Some folks just can't figure out why they are not allowed to tailor those laws for their specific situation. This guy went overboard with insinuating it's a plot, but that shouldn't end the debate.

Fact is, gun laws that are fine and dandy for country folk and affluent neighborhoods are not real popular in the ghetto.

Some folks just can't figure out why they are not allowed to tailor those laws for their specific situation.

They are not allowed to ban handguns in the home because the second amendment was rescued from legal oblivion by gun nuts. That doesn't seem so terrible to me, but I'm a gun nut. Maybe you can explain why it's terrible.

What other things are they not being allowed to do? It seems to me that gun laws vary widely by location, yet some ghetto hands are being tied? How and by whom?

"Now I want you to connect one more dot on that chain of the African American history in this country, and tell me if I'm crazy. Federal gun laws that facilitate the flow of illegal firearms, into our urban centers across this country, that are killing our black and brown children," he said."

http://www.wlsam.com...d=2221691&spid=

The problem in Chicago is not too many guns. It's too many democrats.

"Now I want you to connect one more dot on that chain of the African American history in this country, and tell me if I'm crazy. Federal gun laws that facilitate the flow of illegal firearms, into our urban centers across this country, that are killing our black and brown children," he said."

http://www.wlsam.com...d=2221691&spid=

The problem in Chicago is not too many guns. It's too many democrats.

Wowch. Can your driveway handle nine Yukons?..... :P

Some folks just can't figure out why they are not allowed to tailor those laws for their specific situation.

They are not allowed to ban handguns in the home because the second amendment was rescued from legal oblivion by gun nuts. That doesn't seem so terrible to me, but I'm a gun nut. Maybe you can explain why it's terrible.

What other things are they not being allowed to do? It seems to me that gun laws vary widely by location, yet some ghetto hands are being tied? How and by whom?

Oops. I see I forgot to Tom-proof my comment. Here goes....

Amend to add:

"Of course, they know nothing about guns, and are not entitled to their ignorant opinions."

Mark, I am confused about your comments. Are you in any way suggesting that democRATS do not suck?

Perish the thought! All democrats suck, and relish nothing, absolutely nothing, as much as the taking away of our guns.

Mark, I am confused about your comments. Are you in any way suggesting that democRATS do not suck?

Perish the thought! All democrats suck, and relish nothing, absolutely nothing, as much as the taking away of our guns.

Your failure to mention Sharia Law demonstrates your bias.

they are not allowed to tailor those laws for their specific situation.

Example?

You mean besides the one you just mentioned?

Yes, or explain why that one is so terrible, or both. Lots of large cities manage to get by without handgun bans, so I don't see the Supreme Court decision ruling those unconstitutional as the root of Chicago's crime problems.

They have been tailoring laws to their situation for a long time, little has changed since the court cases, and that little change is the big problem? Explain why.

McCarthy illustrated his point by recalling a crime scene investigation while he was a police official in Newark, New Jersey where five children were shot, two of whom were killed. McCarthy said when he got home, he turned on his television to unwind and found an episode of "Sarah Palin's Alaska" showing.

"She was caribou hunting and talking about the right to bear arms. Why wasn't she at the crime scene with me?"

Same reason no police were at the jewelry store with repairman Carl?

A surveillance video captured the robber forcing the women to walk in a single line towards the back of the store. However, the criminal failed to notice the jewelry repairman Carl hidden in his workstation at the time of the robbery. Carl acted quickly, grabbing his own gun and pointing it at the robber.

At that point the robber ceased his actions and ran out of the store.

Too bad Carl was armed. Just ask fellow employee Debra. I'm pretty sure she wanted to continue walking toward the back of the store when Carl interrupted the whole thing with his gun. Waiting back there for police would have been safer.

McCarthy illustrated his point by recalling a crime scene investigation while he was a police official in Newark, New Jersey where five children were shot, two of whom were killed. McCarthy said when he got home, he turned on his television to unwind and found an episode of "Sarah Palin's Alaska" showing.

"She was caribou hunting and talking about the right to bear arms. Why wasn't she at the crime scene with me?"

A surveillance video captured the robber forcing the women to walk in a single line towards the back of the store. However, the criminal failed to notice the jewelry repairman Carl hidden in his workstation at the time of the robbery. Carl acted quickly, grabbing his own gun and pointing it at the robber.

Too bad Carl was armed. Just ask fellow employee Debra. I'm pretty sure she wanted to continue walking toward the back of the store when Carl interrupted the whole thing with his gun. Waiting back there for police would have been safer.

Too bad her boss was armed.

Example?

Yes, or explain why that one is so terrible, or both. Lots of large cities manage to get by without handgun bans, so I don't see the Supreme Court decision ruling those unconstitutional as the root of Chicago's crime problems.

They have been tailoring laws to their situation for a long time, little has changed since the court cases, and that little change is the big problem? Explain why.

That's a different point then the one I made. You must be replying to someone elses comments or something.

Example?

The one I mentioned was:

"They are not allowed to ban handguns in the home because the second amendment was rescued from legal oblivion by gun nuts."

So I talked about that one. You must have thought I mentioned another one, so to clear up the confusion, why don't you use the quote feature (without editing) and reply to the one you thought I mentioned so that I can correct you again.

Too bad the boyfriend was armed. And that other jewelry store guy.

You really wanna play dueling anecdotes? These kinds of self defense stories are common as dirt, as long as you look in places other than the Washington Post and similar gungrabby fishwraps.

Too bad the boyfriend was armed. And that other jewelry store guy.

You really wanna play dueling anecdotes? These kinds of self defense stories are common as dirt, as long as you look in places other than the Washington Post and similar gungrabby fishwraps.

You started it.

Here's another guy who was armed when thugs busted into his house. It didn't work out too well for him.

Of course it could have something to do with, uh, I don't know, the neighborhood he lived in, or something.

Where was the NRA when Cory needed someone to stick up for his 2nd Amendment rights?

Here's another guy who was armed when thugs busted into his house. It didn't work out too well for him.

Of course it could have something to do with, uh, I don't know, the neighborhood he lived in, or something.

Where was the NRA when Cory needed someone to stick up for his 2nd Amendment rights?

Wow, you're a piece of work. A no knock drug raid? I'm a huge opponent of those because of situations like the one in the article you linked. I don't call the cops involved thugs as a general rule though, unless they seem to have earned it.

There have been cases where residents have killed cops and the courts ruled it self defense.

I don't see why the NRA would be involved with this case, as it really does not affect gun rights in any way I can think of.

If any old weird incident qualifies, here's another one for you.

Wow, you're a piece of work. A no knock drug raid? I'm a huge opponent of those because of situations like the one in the article you linked. I don't call the cops involved thugs as a general rule though, unless they seem to have earned it.

There have been cases where residents have killed cops and the courts ruled it self defense.

I don't see why the NRA would be involved with this case, as it really does not affect gun rights in any way I can think of.

Really?

You don't think that if you have the right to bear arms that you have the right to use them to defend your family from unidentified intruders without being given the death penalty for murder?

Nothing to do with the NRA. Not at all.

Really?

You don't think that if you have the right to bear arms that you have the right to use them to defend your family from unidentified intruders without being given the death penalty for murder?

Nothing to do with the NRA. Not at all.

His freedom is the issue, not his right to bear arms. In other words, by ignoring that case, how is our right to keep and bear arms endangered? Are people suddenly going to say we can't have handguns in our homes because that guy shot the cops? That's the biggest risk I see, and recent Supreme Court action precludes it.

I think (from reading that one story) that his reaction was understandable self defense and he should be allowed to go about his life, but would be surprised if the NRA got involved in such a case. Getting people on with their lives is not really their mission if it does not impact gun rights.

Example?

The one I mentioned was:

"They are not allowed to ban handguns in the home because the second amendment was rescued from legal oblivion by gun nuts."

So I talked about that one. You must have thought I mentioned another one, so to clear up the confusion, why don't you use the quote feature (without editing) and reply to the one you thought I mentioned so that I can correct you again.

Mark, if you're going to wander from thread to thread claiming that I can't keep track of a discussion, I'm going to ask you to back it up. Still looking for what else I said?

Quick! Think of a new deflection!

Example?

The one I mentioned was:

Mark, if you're going to wander from thread to thread claiming that I can't keep track of a discussion, I'm going to ask you to back it up. Still looking for what else I said?

Quick! Think of a new deflection!

Deflect? Hell, this is thread contains an excellent example of the problem. I made a comment about the reasons for the man to think that way, and incidentally, why he was applauded by that crowd, and was immediately button-holed by you with a strident demand for me to defend the Chicago gun law, as if I had been advocating it in some way.

Did those questions seem like demands? Poor baby.

What other things are they not being allowed to do?

I suspect they do not feel the need for another reason to feel the way they do.

I suspect they do not feel the need for another reason to feel the way they do.

Just so there are no more misunderstandings, by "another reason" do you mean to say that the reason under discussion is that they are not allowed to ban handguns in the home because the second amendment was rescued from legal oblivion by gun nuts?

It worked out about as well as can be expected for this guy...

(Police) report on the incident explained that at 2 a.m. Sunday Mitchell was asleep in his residence in the 14200 block of Olympic Drive when Quinn allegedly drove a 1994 Chevrolet Silverado pickup into the front of Mitchell's home.

Hobbs said Mitchell armed himself with a handgun and went to the area of his residence where he heard the crash. When Mitchell went into the room he reportedly was confronted by Quinn, who had gotten out of the pickup.

Quinn allegedly advanced toward Mitchell in a threatening manner while making threats to kill him, Hobbs said.

Mitchell attempted to flee his own residence, and as he was trying to get out of the house Quinn caught up to him, Hobbs said.

Mitchell fired his handgun at Quinn and struck him multiple times

Self defense stories work out a bit differently over in England...

Having confronted travellers cutting down trees on her farm, terminally-ill Tracy St Clair Pearce found herself subjected to a terrifying ordeal.

Some of the group pelted her with rocks while a youth threatened to slit her throat and slaughter her cattle.

When she dialled 999 she expected the full weight of the law to be on her side.

Instead, however, police officers criticised her for inflaming the situation and confiscated her legally held shotguns – even though they had been locked away in a cabinet at home throughout the incident.

It's not just shotguns locked in cabinets that are scary. Kitchen knives too! :rolleyes:

Looks like Rahm is in favor of gun ranges in the city all of a sudden!

Or at least smart enough to know when the game of fucking with the court rulings is up and it's time to retreat before you get your ass handed to you again. The courts were not going to buy the requirement that owners go to a range coupled with the ban on ranges in the city, so he just hung onto the range ban until he could not any more.

Chicago's decades-old campaign against handguns was dealt another blow Wednesday when the City Council was forced to approve an ordinance allowing residents to practice becoming better shooters.

At the urging of Mayor Rahm Emanuel, the council voted to allow gun ranges in the city, anticipating that the federal appellate court in Chicago would strike down a provision of Chicago's year-old gun ordinance that requires residents to get training at firing ranges but prohibits ranges in the city.

Coincidentally, the appeals court ruled temporarily against the ban on ranges on the same day, signaling Wednesday that it would likely find the provision unconstitutional in response to lawsuits challenging it.

Emanuel said he pushed for the new gun measure even before the court handed down its ruling after his legal team told him the ban on ranges was likely to be rejected and might jeopardize other parts of a larger gun ordinance the council adopted last year after the U.S. Supreme Court went against the city's more sweeping gun ban.

"I did want to protect the other parts of the ordinance," Emanuel told reporters after the council voted to allow the ranges.

Lucky victim had a lost concealed weapons permit holder in his neighborhood when he was attacked. Lucky suspect survived the ensuing gunshots, unfortunately.

Not the kind of thing that will happen in San Francisco, where a very regressive concealed carry policy ensures that only the rich will be able to arm themselves. You would think this would cause reptilian outrage, but I'm gonna guess not. $2,607 for a carry permit? They are $65 here.

It is likely to start happening in Wisconsin, where upcoming concealed carry legislation is already proving popular with citizens.

It's a bit more affordable than San Francisco...

Under the legislation, a concealed carry permit would cost no more than $37 plus $13 to cover the cost of a background check. The permit would be valid for five years. Renewing a license would cost $25.

Training classes typically cost $125 to $150.

Ezell v Chicago

The right to arms includes the right to practice with arms: “The right to possess firearms for protection implies a corresponding right to acquire and maintain proficiency in their use; the core right wouldn’t mean much without the training and practice that make it effective. The Ezell court pointed to the Supreme Court having “quoted at length from the ‘massively popular 1868 Treatise on Constitutional Limitations’ by judge and professor Thomas Cooley: ‘[T]o bear arms implies something more than the mere keeping; it implies the learning to handle and use them . . . ; it implies the right to meet for voluntary discipline in arms, observing in doing so the laws of public order’.” In addition, “‘No doubt, a citizen who keeps a gun or pistol under judicious precautions, practices in safe places the use of it, and in due time teaches his sons to do the same, exercises his individual right.’

The City’s firing-range ban is not merely regulatory; it prohibits the ‘law-abiding, responsible citizens’ of Chicago from engaging in target practice in the controlled environment of a firing range. This is a serious encroachment on the right to maintain proficiency in firearm use, an important corollary to the meaningful exercise of the core right to possess firearms for self-defense.”In short, the Second Amendment is part of normal constitutional law.

So far, the restrictions on local governments that resulted from gun extremists rescuing the second amendment from legal oblivion are that they cannot ban handguns in the home, and if they are going to insist that people go to firing ranges to qualify, they must allow firing ranges to exist. We're up to two restrictions now, but they seem reasonable to me.

Another reason banning handguns in the home is a bad idea. My sources provide me with a few of these each day...

Police say two armed men approached the woman’s boyfriend, who was sitting in a car outside the house. They forced the man inside the home and beat him. Police say the woman heard the commotion, opened fire on those two suspects. She killed one of them. The other got away, but he could be injured as well.

“She was pretty sure she shot the other one," said Bailey.

There is no word yet on if the woman will be charged or if it was self defense. Her boyfriend was pistol whipped by the suspects and was beaten pretty badly. Police say he will be ok.

That last line indicates that NC needs a "Castle Doctrine" passed. In Florida, I doubt there would be any question about whether she would be charged. If someone pushes your boyfriend in your house and starts pistol-whipping him down here, it's considered OK to shoot the bastard.

More on Ezell v Chicago, in which the City is being dragged kicking and screaming to show a bit of respect for the second amendment.

When the Supreme Court told them they must allow citizens to possess a handgun for self defense in the home, they jumped right on the technicalities: But not the garage or front porch! No outbuildings, either. "Clean the damn thing in your living room, and we don't care what your wife thinks about the mess and smell!" was the message Chicago sent to gun owning residents in their new law.

As noted, they also required range time, but banned firing ranges. Knowing that such a silly contradiction could not survive in court, they quickly passed a bill "technically" allowing firing ranges just before the court was going to force that outcome.

From the article:

In a court ruling handed down Wednesday, Judge Ilana Diamond Rovner of the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals accused the Chicago City Council of passing a gun ordinance last year that was "too clever by half" and amounted to "a thumbing of the municipal nose at the Supreme Court."

In anticipation of Wednesday's "stop-playing-silly-games" ruling, Ald. James Balcer, 11th, chair of the Public Safety Committee, introduced a 24-page ordinance that, technically, allows for the construction and operation of indoor gun ranges within the city limits.

I say "technically" because the restrictions the law places on those who want to open private gun ranges are so brazenly burdensome experts doubt anyone will even try.

Under the law, which passed Wednesday, shooting ranges must be in areas zoned for manufacturing and at least 1,000 feet from any park, day-care facility or other children's activity center, place of worship, liquor store or bar, library, museum, hospital or district zoned for residential use.

They must close at 8 p.m., have one "range master" for every three customers on the firing line, and meet a variety of ventilation and noise-reduction requirements that industry experts say are higher than those imposed on law-enforcement training ranges in the city. Further, they must pay a $4,000 business license fee every two years, more than five times the fee paid by a similarly sized bowling alley, for example.

Gun ranges under the new law will not be allowed to sell guns or ammunition that can be taken from the premises, though such sales are standard at firearms practice facilities across the country.

"I've never seen restrictions this severe and unnecessary," said Addison Sovine, executive vice president and co-founder of Action Target Inc., a 25-year-old Provo, Utah, firm that manufactures and installs range equipment throughout the world.

Typically, Sovine said, gun ranges are in areas zoned for light industrial or commercial use (and in fact there are shooting ranges in shopping centers and strip malls even here in Illinois). They pay normal business license fees and meet an established set of environmental standards.

Sovine estimated Chicago's ordinance roughly triples the normal cost of doing business for a potential range owner.

City Law Department spokeswoman Jennifer Hoyle said the high license fees reflect the cost of necessary background checks and inspections, and she defended the location restrictions as being similar to those placed on other "adult-use" businesses.

"I just think (gun ranges are) very dangerous," said Ald. Balcer. "Those restrictions are all about safety."

If so, the city has offered no proof; no statistics or studies that support treating gun ranges as though they were noisy offal-processing plants instead of recreational facilities that simply require a lot of insulation.

Possibly because there can be no proof of something that is just not true.

The obvious intent is to "allow" ranges while making them economically unviable, thus continuing to disallow them. Anything to throw a roadblock in the way of gun ownership, it seems...

Following a line of reasoning similar to Chicago's "you must have range time, but can't have a range" line, DC is also going to lose another costly lawsuit because they insist on playing games with the Supreme Court.

DC rules say that gun owners wishing to transfer legally owned guns from outside of the District must transfer the weapon to a licensed dealer. The only licensed dealer closed down due to their zoning rules, and they will not allow him to reopen. "You must have a dealer, but you can't have a dealer" is not going to fly in court, and the DC government is once again wasting taxpayer money in their fight against guns.

Federal and district laws require handguns crossing the D.C. border to be shipped to an FFL before the owner can take possession of them. But critics say Mendelson's new measure won't do anything to get D.C. out of a lawsuit that's about to get pricey, and won't do anything to change the strict zoning rules that are keeping Sykes from reopening in the first place.

"They need to come to terms with the fact that the Second Amendment applies to them," Alan Gura, the attorney who is bringing the new lawsuit against D.C., said.

Gura filed suit in federal court in May on behalf of the Second Amendment Foundation and three D.C. residents who legally own handguns in other states but can't bring them into the city under current law. Right now the United States, Virginia and D.C. are all defendants, but Gura said that could change if D.C. would just drop its FFL rule.

"All they're doing by maintaining it is buying themselves a lawsuit -- I've told them this," Gura, who won the 2008 landmark Supreme Court case against the District forcing it to lift its handgun ban, said. "The D.C. government is playing games. ... This is going to wind up once again costing the taxpayers."

These continued games by the anti-gun crowd, "allowing" gun ownership, but making it dependent on a facility that is not allowed, do nothing to promote public safety, cost a great deal of money, and naturally make gun owners suspicious of their motives because of those two facts. All the assurance in the world that these people are not against gun ownership falls flat when they do things like this and only gun extremists are willing to call them out on their obvious nonsense.

Well, OK, gun extremists and eventually the courts, but we could all save a lot of money if they quit the nonsense.

Following a line of reasoning similar to Chicago's "you must have range time, but can't have a range" line, DC is also going to lose another costly lawsuit because they insist on playing games with the Supreme Court.

DC rules say that gun owners wishing to transfer legally owned guns from outside of the District must transfer the weapon to a licensed dealer. The only licensed dealer closed down due to their zoning rules, and they will not allow him to reopen. "You must have a dealer, but you can't have a dealer" is not going to fly in court, and the DC government is once again wasting taxpayer money in their fight against guns.

Federal and district laws require handguns crossing the D.C. border to be shipped to an FFL before the owner can take possession of them. But critics say Mendelson's new measure won't do anything to get D.C. out of a lawsuit that's about to get pricey, and won't do anything to change the strict zoning rules that are keeping Sykes from reopening in the first place.

"They need to come to terms with the fact that the Second Amendment applies to them," Alan Gura, the attorney who is bringing the new lawsuit against D.C., said.

Gura filed suit in federal court in May on behalf of the Second Amendment Foundation and three D.C. residents who legally own handguns in other states but can't bring them into the city under current law. Right now the United States, Virginia and D.C. are all defendants, but Gura said that could change if D.C. would just drop its FFL rule.

"All they're doing by maintaining it is buying themselves a lawsuit -- I've told them this," Gura, who won the 2008 landmark Supreme Court case against the District forcing it to lift its handgun ban, said. "The D.C. government is playing games. ... This is going to wind up once again costing the taxpayers."

These continued games by the anti-gun crowd, "allowing" gun ownership, but making it dependent on a facility that is not allowed, do nothing to promote public safety, cost a great deal of money, and naturally make gun owners suspicious of their motives because of those two facts. All the assurance in the world that these people are not against gun ownership falls flat when they do things like this and only gun extremists are willing to call them out on their obvious nonsense.

Well, OK, gun extremists and eventually the courts, but we could all save a lot of money if they quit the nonsense.

But Toooommmmm, it makes them feel soooooo clever.

Yes, finding clever ways around the second amendment does seem to be one of the main ways that Chicago and DC politicians amuse themselves. It would be very funny if they had to pay the legal bills out of their own pockets. Digging into taxpayer pockets to finance their word games is wrong.

Yes, finding clever ways around the second amendment does seem to be one of the main ways that Chicago and DC politicians amuse themselves. It would be very funny if they had to pay the legal bills out of their own pockets. Digging into taxpayer pockets to finance their word games is wrong.

I'm a "rabid, gun-toting fool" who lives in VA, but, I feel obligated to add some data points to the DC portion of this discussion: The gun shop owner's loss of his lease was a bldg owner's decision, not the DC government. Right now - the DC government is actually working with the gun shop owner to help him find a new premises for his business. So - while the DC council and mayoral staff have ALL stated that they'd rather have seen the gun ban remain in place, they don't seem to be complicit in this particular shop's closure.

The obvious intent is to "allow" ranges while making them economically unviable, thus continuing to disallow them. Anything to throw a roadblock in the way of gun ownership, it seems...

Sort of like allowing people to have a gun but taxing the ammo out of reach of most people, making marksmanship practice nearly impossible.

I'm a "rabid, gun-toting fool" who lives in VA, but, I feel obligated to add some data points to the DC portion of this discussion: The gun shop owner's loss of his lease was a bldg owner's decision, not the DC government. Right now - the DC government is actually working with the gun shop owner to help him find a new premises for his business. So - while the DC council and mayoral staff have ALL stated that they'd rather have seen the gun ban remain in place, they don't seem to be complicit in this particular shop's closure.

Thanks for filling in that info. The piece I read suggested that they were "helping" him find a new location by disapproving every suggestion he tries. I guess that's helpful by process of elimination, assuming the behavior at some point comes to a stop.

Thanks for filling in that info. The piece I read suggested that they were "helping" him find a new location by disapproving every suggestion he tries. I guess that's helpful by process of elimination, assuming the behavior at some point comes to a stop.

Locally - it's actually been proffered that the DC govt act as the "licensed broker" - but - there are "liability concerns" w/r/t the local govt assuming this role. IMHO the DC govt is as self serving and intellectually corrupt as our national govt, but, if their actions are being reported honestly, they are actually behaving judiciously in this matter.

Time will tell.....

Locally - it's actually been proffered that the DC govt act as the "licensed broker" - but - there are "liability concerns" w/r/t the local govt assuming this role.

Yes, that was how the article I linked began:

D.C. Councilman Phil Mendelson released the text of his emergency legislation to make the District a federal firearms licensee, able to sell and transfer guns to citizens.

They just can't find a single place in DC where a gun store should be allowed, but the government can be a gun dealer?

I think they could look a bit harder to find space. <_<

Gura said they would still be liable for the coming lawsuit if they allow only the government to be a dealer, so that liability does not go away.

Handgun owners might be concerned about the fact that gun dealers have to keep firearms sale records, and this particular government has banned handguns in the recent past. We could be one Supreme Court justice away from the reinstatement of that ban...

Shotgun totin' redneck (grandson of D politician, so he's OK) sends home invader running.

Home invasion in rural America = not a great idea. Too many of us are armed. :P

A gunman who broke into a 77-year-old Iowa congressman’s farm and scuffled with the lawmaker was chased away by the congressman’s shotgun-wielding grandson, according to reports.

Rep. Leonard Boswell (D-Iowa) was home at his farm near Lamoni, Iowa, with his wife, Dody, his daughter, Cindy Brown, and his grandson, Mitchell Brown, at around 10:45 p.m. on Saturday when an armed man broke in through the front door, the congressman’s office said in a statement to the Associated Press.

After slipping in, the thug attacked Cindy Brown and demanded money.

When Boswell heard his daughter’s screams, he ran into the room and jumped on the intruder, trying to knock away his gun, the statement said.

As they wrestled, Mitchell Brown, 22, grabbed a shotgun from another room and pointed it at the burglar, who fled into some fields surrounding the home.

Shotgun totin' redneck (grandson of D politician, so he's OK) sends home invader running.

A gunman who broke into a 77-year-old Iowa congressman’s farm and scuffled with the lawmaker was chased away by the congressman’s shotgun-wielding grandson, according to reports.

Rep. Leonard Boswell (D-Iowa) was home at his farm near Lamoni, Iowa, with his wife, Dody, his daughter, Cindy Brown, and his grandson, Mitchell Brown, at around 10:45 p.m. on Saturday when an armed man broke in through the front door, the congressman’s office said in a statement to the Associated Press.

When Boswell heard his daughter’s screams, he ran into the room and jumped on the intruder, trying to knock away his gun, the statement said.

As they wrestled, Mitchell Brown, 22, grabbed a shotgun from another room and pointed it at the burglar, who fled into some fields surrounding the home.

That's exactly where a progressive load from buckshot to birdshot works really well.

A gunman who broke into a 77-year-old Iowa congressman's farm and scuffled with the lawmaker was chased away by the congressman's shotgun-wielding grandson, according to reports.

Rep. Leonard Boswell (D-Iowa) was home at his farm near Lamoni, Iowa, with his wife, Dody, his daughter, Cindy Brown, and his grandson, Mitchell Brown, at around 10:45 p.m. on Saturday when an armed man broke in through the front door, the congressman's office said in a statement to the Associated Press.

When Boswell heard his daughter's screams, he ran into the room and jumped on the intruder, trying to knock away his gun, the statement said.

That's exactly where a progressive load from buckshot to birdshot works really well.

How is the burglar supposed to know about the special load? Like most armed self-defense situations, the gun was not fired in this one.

Are concealed carry permits finally going to get into that 50th state?

Especially now that Illinois is the only state that does not allow concealed carry, some local officials said it’s time to change the law.

State Rep. Jack Franks, D-Marengo, wasn’t always in support of concealed carry but has since shifted positions, even co-sponsoring a bill that would allow it.

The deaths of several police officers around Chicago helped change his mind.

“Last year, when I saw a number of police officers being targeted around Chicago, I saw that the laws we’re using aren’t working,” Franks said. “I think it’s time to try a different thing.”

McHenry County State’s Attorney Louis Bianchi supports concealed carry on a personal level.

“I am very pro Second Amendment, right to bear arms,” he said. “Unfortunately, those who commit crimes have access to all kinds of weapons, and our current statute really punishes law-abiding citizens who are trying to protect themselves.”

But professionally, Bianchi must enforce the law as it currently stands.

“As the state’s attorney, I enforce the laws, and we will continue to follow and enforce the gun laws,” he said.

McHenry County Sheriff Keith Nygren echoes the position of the Illinois Sheriffs Association, which supports the “right of law-abiding citizens to possess and carry a concealed firearm for the purpose of protecting their life and families.”

The Nurse's couisin in Chicago is a long time cop. This time last year we all met up at their Illinois lake house, and we heard him describe in gory detail the numerous shootings and killings of his fellow LEO's. We were f'ng shocked at not only the number of instances, but in the pure callousness of the bad guys. They just don't seem to give a shit.

Fast forward to an hour ago----we're 6 hours away from the same lake house for another huge family weekend gathering, and I finally get a radio stationwith some real news (besides kittens stuck in trees and lawn mower thefts). Looks like two more Chicago PD'rs got shot last night. I mean really, wtf is up with that town? We don't get a fourth of the amount of cop shootings in Hell-A. And I'm pretty damn sure our town is a bit bigger.......

Or, alternatively, a really pissed off chihuahua.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwUhs8RJzoM

They just can't find a single place in DC where a gun store should be allowed, but the government can be a gun dealer?

They looked a bit harder...

D.C. hopes to dodge a legal bullet by allowing its only licensed gun dealer to operate out of police headquarters.

Emergency legislation that would have allowed the city to operate as a gun dealer temporarily was pulled last week, but the city may have a new solution. The city will permit Sykes to use space at the Metropolitan Police Department headquarters, Mayor Vincent Gray said Wednesday. He'll be allowed to set up shop in the tight security offices where guns are registered.

Any suggestion that the politicians responsible might be doing this because they are anti-gun is just ordinary gun owner paranoia, of course.

Only about 1,200 people have sought to keep guns in their homes legally since the Supreme Court ruling.

"I'm not sure what the demand should be," Gray said. "For me, one is too many, but that's my own personal view on this."

I'm sure he's looking really hard for a normal, retail location. <_<

My guess is that he carefully omitted a couple of words there, as in 'Only about 1200 people per week have sought to keep guns in their homes legally'......

Anyone know what the CCW laws are in Denver? 'Cuz if they have good ones, methinks a couple of punk-fuks may soon get their asses lit up....

Denver News

Police Seek Robbers In Baseball Bat Beatings

Gang Attacking Couples Leaving Downtown Restaurants, Bars, Police Say

Alan Gathright, 7NEWS Content Producer

POSTED: 2:40 pm MDT July 19, 2011

UPDATED: 12:31 pm MDT July 21, 2011

DENVER -- Police are trying to identify a gang of men who are beating couples with baseball bats and robbing them in downtown Denver.

Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson said there have been two attacks, each involving the robbery of a couple leaving restaurants or bars at closing time.

Just before 2 a.m. on July 16, a couple was walking home from a restaurant-bar near East 10th Avenue and Pennsylvania Street when they were surrounded by a group of men, according to a police report.

Two men wielding baseball bats hit the man and woman in the head, "causing major bruising and swelling," the report said. Then a robber grabbed the woman's purse.

The man and woman were transported to Denver Health Medical Center for treatment, police said.

On June 26 near 1000 Broadway, a couple was in an alley near their vehicle when a group of men walked up and "assaulted them with a baseball bat and demanded money," a police report said. The robbers grabbed the woman's purse and ran to a waiting car, police said.

The attackers are “not nice people," Jackson said.

Police describe the attackers as four to five black men, ages 18 to 21 years.

Anyone with information about the identity of the robbers, the crimes or unreported incidents is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867. People calling the tip line can choose to remain anonymous.

Report a typo or inaccuracy

If you have a news tip or a follow-up to this story, e-mail us.

Copyright 2011 by TheDenverChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The following are comments from our users. Opinions expressed are neither created nor endorsed by TheDenverChannel.com. By posting a comment you agree to accept our Terms of Use. Comments are moderated by the community. To report an offensive or otherwise inappropriate comment, click the "Flag" link that appears beneath that comment. Comments that are flagged by a set number of users will be automatically removed

I wonder which version of this one is true?

Sounds a bit fishy. A criminal who is running after just being shot at with a shotgun pauses to emphasize his point by firing a couple of handgun rounds back from a distance? If true, he legitimately won his Darwin award.

Somehow, I suspect that's not really what happened.

They looked a bit harder...

D.C. hopes to dodge a legal bullet by allowing its only licensed gun dealer to operate out of police headquarters.

Emergency legislation that would have allowed the city to operate as a gun dealer temporarily was pulled last week, but the city may have a new solution. The city will permit Sykes to use space at the Metropolitan Police Department headquarters, Mayor Vincent Gray said Wednesday. He'll be allowed to set up shop in the tight security offices where guns are registered.

Any suggestion that the politicians responsible might be doing this because they are anti-gun is just ordinary gun owner paranoia, of course.

Only about 1,200 people have sought to keep guns in their homes legally since the Supreme Court ruling.

"I'm not sure what the demand should be," Gray said. "For me, one is too many, but that's my own personal view on this."

I'm sure he's looking really hard for a normal, retail location. <_<

Apparently, the DC government has interpreted their law that says no gun dealers within 300' of a church to actually mean: no gun dealers within 300' of a church unless located within the police station.

Rules are for plebes, and if it becomes politically convenient to just reinterpret them away, that's the proper course of action for government.

Jfc, the weekend's not even over and Chicago has had seventeen shootings so far, leaving four dead. I think I now know what Chicago's tough gun control measures mean------means the criminals control the guns.

Fuking brilliant.....

Too much ammo already, got to focus on the criminals and togher prison setences......

Tougher prison sentences?

Is there no end to the services from the government you grasshoppers demand be paid for by the rest of us?

Too much ammo already, got to focus on the criminals and togher prison setences......

Is there no end to the services from the government you grasshoppers demand be paid for by the rest of us?

Piece of cake---- chop welfare in half, tax the shit out the poor people who are having kids they can't afford, shit-can all illegals who are currently incarcerated here, sell of all Govvy and Section 8 housing, cut all public sector employees salaries by 25%, get rid of all union prison guards and replace them with $38k @ year high school dip shits and then take that all that extra money and give it to Joe Arpaio. Done.

Really, some of you here display less intelligence than the third runner-up in the 2010 Alligator Fucking Nationals. Stumbling.....

Piece of cake---- chop welfare in half, tax the shit out the poor people who are having kids they can't afford, shit-can all illegals who are currently incarcerated here, sell of all Govvy and Section 8 housing, cut all public sector employees salaries by 25%, get rid of all union prison guards and replace them with $38k @ year high school dip shits and then take that all that extra money and give it to Joe Arpaio. Done.

Really, some of you here display less intelligence than the third runner-up in the 2010 Alligator Fucking Nationals. Stumbling.....

You're just mad you didn't advance out of the regional qualifier.

Sure, you got some points for originality for being on the receiving end, but even going as non-traditional as that wasn't enough to vault you onto the podium.

Talk to BG. I'm sure he can give you some pointers for next year.

why do you call for redistribution of wealth

troubling :(

You're just mad you didn't advance out of the regional qualifier.

Sure, you got some points for originality for being on the receiving end, but even going as non-traditional as that wasn't enough to vault you onto the podium.

Talk to BG. I'm sure he can give you some pointers for next year.

:lol:

You, sir, Owe me a new keyboard, and I spit beer over my screen.

Just for you, Cliff:

The Open Carry Fisherman's Loophole

Fishing and guns, what a swell combination.

That's the conclusion you draw? Man and 4 year old son go fishing, drunken neighbor negligently discharging firearm hits son, and your sarcastic conclusion is that fishing and guns are a swell combination? I would conclude that the drunk with the gun was a problem, not the fishing people.

Speaking of fishing people who are not a problem with guns, any headlines out of Venice, FL on Saturday? Bull Gator will be shocked if hundreds of people carrying openly in public did not somehow result in violence, which we all know is caused by guns. :rolleyes:

Just for you, Cliff:

Armed robbers and an armed victim. Perhaps not a swell combination, but waaaay better than armed robbers and disarmed victim, as the outcome (along with thousands of others each month) shows.

Just for you, Cliff:

Man and boy minding their own business while fishing = Swell Combination. Asswipe and alcohol, not at all so, with his decision to fire a gun (1) while under the influence, (2) in the direction of others, (3) without an appropriate backstop, (4) without regard to what lies near or beyond his "target" (a term I use in the loosest sense here).

I don't know what the law is in West Virginia, but I would be in huge trouble if I did what this guy did...

Menuard Frazier admits he doesn't come across as physically intimidating.

He’s 72 years old and stands at 5’5”, but his daughter-in-law Rose Frazier says that appearance is deceptive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Click Here

“I don't think they thought he was as tough as he was," she said.

Frazier says three men came to his home around noon Friday and asked to use his phone.

"About middle ways to the kitchen, they jumped and grabbed me," he said.

Frazier says the younger, stronger men pinned him on the floor of his home on Mill Creek Road in Fort Gay.

He says the multiple scratches and bruises on his head, arms, and legs are proof the intruders were definitely provoking him.

"They had a pillow and a sheet over my head,” he said. “They said ‘If you look at us, we'll kill you.’"

"I think they're cowards,” Rose said. “To break into an old man's house and strong-arm him to the floor and bound him the way they did and beat him like that, they're cowards."

Frazier says the attackers tied his legs up with plastic tubing. They took cash and other items before leaving Frazier's house and going next door to his son's, where no one was home.

Frazier says he then crawled into his kitchen, got a knife, and cut himself free.

"That's when I grabbed my pistol, a 9-millimeter" he said.

Frazier says the three men walked back by his house with guns they'd stolen from his son's house, saw that he'd freed himself, and started firing, leaving a total of 9 bullet holes on Frazier's walls.

"When they started shooting into my house, that's when I started firing back," he said.

Frazier says when he started shooting, the men ran back to their truck and took off.

OK so far, but then...

He then got another gun and made sure they got the point.

"I ran out on the porch with an 11-hundred automatic and emptied it as they drove across the creek down here," he said. "I did my best to kill everyone of them."

He says he hit the truck at least once on the rear-side window.

Getting another gun was prudent. They might have returned. Firing it at the truck as it fled would be a crime here, I'm pretty sure. If he actually did manage to kill any of them, he would have to explain why he needed to do that in order to protect his own life. He didn't.

I can certainly sympathize with the urge to kill them after what they did, and would not expect someone to be at his most rational when he is shooting at people who just beat and shot at him, but you just can't go get another gun and start blazing away at people who are running.

I don't know what the law is in West Virginia, but I would be in huge trouble if I did what this guy did...

Menuard Frazier admits he doesn't come across as physically intimidating.

He’s 72 years old and stands at 5’5”, but his daughter-in-law Rose Frazier says that appearance is deceptive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Click Here

“I don't think they thought he was as tough as he was," she said.

Frazier says three men came to his home around noon Friday and asked to use his phone.

"About middle ways to the kitchen, they jumped and grabbed me," he said.

Frazier says the younger, stronger men pinned him on the floor of his home on Mill Creek Road in Fort Gay.

He says the multiple scratches and bruises on his head, arms, and legs are proof the intruders were definitely provoking him.

"They had a pillow and a sheet over my head,” he said. “They said ‘If you look at us, we'll kill you.’"

"I think they're cowards,” Rose said. “To break into an old man's house and strong-arm him to the floor and bound him the way they did and beat him like that, they're cowards."

Frazier says the attackers tied his legs up with plastic tubing. They took cash and other items before leaving Frazier's house and going next door to his son's, where no one was home.

Frazier says he then crawled into his kitchen, got a knife, and cut himself free.

"That's when I grabbed my pistol, a 9-millimeter" he said.

Frazier says the three men walked back by his house with guns they'd stolen from his son's house, saw that he'd freed himself, and started firing, leaving a total of 9 bullet holes on Frazier's walls.

"When they started shooting into my house, that's when I started firing back," he said.

Frazier says when he started shooting, the men ran back to their truck and took off.

OK so far, but then...

He then got another gun and made sure they got the point.

"I ran out on the porch with an 11-hundred automatic and emptied it as they drove across the creek down here," he said. "I did my best to kill everyone of them."

He says he hit the truck at least once on the rear-side window.

Getting another gun was prudent. They might have returned. Firing it at the truck as it fled would be a crime here, I'm pretty sure. If he actually did manage to kill any of them, he would have to explain why he needed to do that in order to protect his own life. He didn't.

I can certainly sympathize with the urge to kill them after what they did, and would not expect someone to be at his most rational when he is shooting at people who just beat and shot at him, but you just can't go get another gun and start blazing away at people who are running.

Don't the good guys get to plead temporary insanity too?