How wrong can one be buying a M24 ?

Philippe Gauthier

I have read a lot about M24. Things that would make you afraid to bring the wife and kids with you when the wind reaches 10 knots. Things that seems to forbid any singlehanded quiet day ballad. Other things that suggests that you might get easily ridiculed by any Macgregor-like vessels if you don't spend years practicing with a professional crew and nano-tweaking your rig.

But hey ! You can find some second hand for under 30K ; its got a small cabin and I imagine you can easily camp in one ; its light, has a raising keel and you don't need a F-150 to trailer one ; and speed potential is enormous.

Am I completely out of my mind to consider that a second hand M24 would be a good choice for a low budget fun family racer-daysailor-camper (given that total weight of the family in question is less than 350 pounds) ?

I have read a lot about M24. Things that would make you afraid to bring the wife and kids with you when the wind reaches 10 knots. Things that seems to forbid any singlehanded quiet day ballad. Other things that suggests that you might get easily ridiculed by any Macgregor-like vessels if you don't spend years practicing with a professional crew and nano-tweaking your rig.

But hey ! You can find some second hand for under 30K ; its got a small cabin and I imagine you can easily camp in one ; its light, has a raising keel and you don't need a F-150 to trailer one ; and speed potential is enormous.

Am I completely out of my mind to consider that a second hand M24 would be a good choice for a low budget fun family racer-daysailor-camper (given that total weight of the family in question is less than 350 pounds) ?

1st of all - I LOVE M24s. They are about the most fun you can have with your clothes on in a boat that size. I'm considering buying a used one myself after having raced them a fair amount.

However - there are a LOT better boats out there for a family fun daysailor/racer. Camping? No fucking way. The "cabin" is barely suitable for stuffing an outboard and a kite down below during a race. I would also say that its a fairly athletic boat that can become a handful in a breeze. Not overwhelming, but a handful.

Can it do most of what you state above? Sure, but aside from the racing aspect - you're paying a shitload for a boat that is not going to be a tame daysailor for a sedate day on the water with the wife and kids. Unless they like folding their bodies in half while hiking on the rail.

I will add that the M24 is the greatest Abs workout ever designed on the planet.

Shit load of better boats for what you want to do. If your in the US then look at the Dart.

To answer your question, very wrong

Shit load of better boats for what you want to do. If your in the US then look at the Dart.

Echo?

Nah, even a de-tuned untweaked M24 being sailed by a family is not going to get ridiculed by pretty much anybody on the speed issue. They are fast boats; it's just that the tweaking & belly-trapping make them go faster.

However they do take some muscle to sail. They are quirky to steer & trim due to the high aspect hi-perf foils. I found them to be kind of frustrating to sail and would not consider taking one out as a family daysailor. My wife (who raced Lightnings and other OD boats with me for years) hated it and would not set foot on an M24 a second time.

In short, I don't think you're out of your mind but I think that if family-friendliness is any priority at all, then there are a lot of other boats deserving of better consideration.

FB- Doug

The Dart seems alright, like a bunch of other new modern design boats (Seascape, Elan 210, Donovan 6, Ft 7.5, all well covered in this forum). If I had the money, I would go for those. But under 30K, you have to look at the preowned market. And there, apart from an elusive R22 that might not be so affordable, there is not so many design that fits the needs.

But thank you all for the insight on the M24. The fact that it might reveal a handful to control in a breeze ("just" a handful) is reassuring (after all, I am use to sport cats). But that un-campingnabality thing worries me somewhat. If I cannot put a tent in the cockpit once in a while, then I think I'll have to look elsewhere. Damn !

What you may be looking for is an Ultimate 20. Same setup as a M24, A sail planning hull but not as hard core. Cabin you can camp in and easier to sail with the weight you have. Easy to trailer and launch, plenty used around 22k ready to sail. www.u20class.org Look at the classifieds under "our boat".

I have a 5 year old, a 4 year old and a 1 year old. I take the 2 oldest out by myself all the time. If it's over 8, I sail with jib only up to about 15 with just me and them. Like any boat it takes skill to sail them in any conditions. I have seen several people cruising around in their big cruising boat and be out of control because they could go down Niagra Falls if you pushed them. So, if youre a good enough sailor it wont matter.

I always have a problem the cabin comment regardless of any boat. If I am out day sailing, do you really need a cabin taking up all the deck space? There nothing worse than seeming a 35' boat cruising around with 4 people crammed like sardines in a tiny cockpit. Oh yeah they have headroom and shitter. Well it's kind of hard to enjoy your sail standing down below.

Go the M24 for sure. If you are a good sailor you can handle the boat no problem. The big cockpit is great. If the wind picks up, just furl the jib and go main only, if its going to be even windier, just have a cut down main on hand. Easy to depower a boat, much harder to power one up. No boat that is fun to sail will have signficant camping ability at 24ft.

M24s will only be a handful in big breeze with fullsails/kite etc. If its really blowing, you wont take the family out anyway.

Ultimate 20 way better for what you want. Ditto J80 (not quite so convenient as fixed keel). The Dart looks nice too but more money as it's a new boat.

You can certainly buy an M24 race it and then ocassionally take the family out for a daysail in light/moderate breeze but that's about it.

I owned a U24. Great family boat and uber well built. The absence of a sprit penetration on the hull is a big plus, the interior is always dry. You can sleep 4 comfortably and it has an electrical system and integrated cubby for a porta potti (huge plus for the girls in the family). It's ocean capable, easy to trail great crbon CST rig and boom.

You can be dry with an interior sprit. The R22 has drip trays under everything that pierces the hill. Water coming in, goes out through the drain holes, including the sprit. We've been punching some big waves with nary a drop.

U24 looks like a cool boat though. A25 even cooler. Have they built any? If Cat II was your goal, I could see a U24. Seems like another bump up the price range though.

You can be dry with an interior sprit. The R22 has drip trays under everything that pierces the hill. Water coming in, goes out through the drain holes, including the sprit. We've been punching some big waves with nary a drop.

U24 looks like a cool boat though. A25 even cooler. Have they built any? If Cat II was your goal, I could see a U24. Seems like another bump up the price range though.

?? Where would you find a U24 or A25. I hear people talking about them but have never seen one for sale? What is there, 2 in the whole world :unsure:

I always have a problem the cabin comment regardless of any boat. If I am out day sailing, do you really need a cabin taking up all the deck space? There nothing worse than seeming a 35' boat cruising around with 4 people crammed like sardines in a tiny cockpit. Oh yeah they have headroom and shitter. Well it's kind of hard to enjoy your sail standing down below.

It is true that I might never use the cabin, so it doesn't need to be anything else than a shell to store the icebox and sleeping bags. And a good cockpit is what I miss the most when I sail with my bros Beneteau 461. But ...

singlehanded & no weight even when crewed !

m24 out of your mind

... of course, seeing M24 videos with all those big guys on the rail while going upwind with a largely eased mainsail makes me, somewhat, worry about the possibility of capsizing in a gust.

Given the contradictory opinions so far, even though there seem to be a general tendency to be skeptical about the family-friendlyness of a M24, I think I cannot completely eliminate this one from my short list.

You can single hand a m24. hell i go out and set the spinnaker by myself. Just don't do it in 20kts.... If you balance the boat it behaves nicely, you can tie the tiller to the windward rail and it sails upwind by itself. I take my non-sailor friends out on the m24 a lot, and it's never been "too much". However, like everyone is saying, the boat powers up very quickly, so you need to be very aware of this when you have your family on board. I think there may be better choices out there, but you can find some beater m24's around for under 20k that would be a ton of fun to day sail.

I have a 5 year old, a 4 year old and a 1 year old. I take the 2 oldest out by myself all the time. If it's over 8, I sail with jib only up to about 15 with just me and them. Like any boat it takes skill to sail them in any conditions. I have seen several people cruising around in their big cruising boat and be out of control because they could go down Niagra Falls if you pushed them. So, if youre a good enough sailor it wont matter.

Took the 4 year old and 2 year old nieces/nephews out all the time on the M24 when we had one. They even still have cushions for the cabin...we had bowlights too. Easiest cockpit ever for a family, super boat for camping with a boom tent...kind of sails around on its anchor a bit :)

Ultimate 20 better...but way worse for sailing. Rocket 22 the best of both worlds, but hard to find one of those for 15-20k like you can an old M24.

?? Where would you find a U24 or A25. I hear people talking about them but have never seen one for sale? What is there, 2 in the whole world :unsure:

A25 was never built...sadly, the owner of the molds has passed...RIP.

The odd U24 does show up occasionally. Only 14 were built but I have an inquiry into Berkeley Marine to ask just how much it would cost to build a run of them. the only difference between the U24 and A25 was 50 lbs of ballast and the articulating prod. Personally I think the prod should just be longer and the possibility of a MH kite and Code O be added to the boat. You no longer need the extra ballast to be legal offshore and the articulating sprit just adds another crew member which the boat doesn't need. MH kite would rock in the light though, as would the Code 0

This is a great question. I have to tell you that when I finallyreceived the green light to purchase a boat, from the boss (Wife), I had convincedher the M24 was the greatest day sailor ever made (year 1998). You have to understand thatshe well only sail if the temp. is in the 70's and the breeze is in the 7-13knot range and camping to her is staying at a Holiday Inn without a coffeemaker. Of course the kids (9 and 13 years old at the time), my wife's mainreason for living, all want to go out and sail at top speed. With this dilemmathe M24 seemed to satisfy everyone. Today my wife still sails on it with me andthe kids are all grown up and my son wants the keys to the M24 because it isstill a great boat.

Some of the best times we had out on the lake were in light air when we wereall swimming and dragging the kids on a float behind the boat.

The big plus is I could race and cruise on it all the time (Winter and Summer)and we would get the most out of the investment. I have discovered the M24 hasa great wind range and moves in all conditions. We have owned several boats andI still have an M24 (My 3rd one-because it has great resale value) and I haveyet to find another design that has a cockpit and sail plan that comes close. Melges has great support for parts and advice even for the guy that bought a used boat.

Camping on the M24 is best done with an air mattress and a boom tent.

Wish you the best of luck on your decision.<br style="mso-special-character: line-break;"><br style="mso-special-character: line-break;">

the M 24 is a great family boat.

it has a low cockpit. so the kids can get in and out of the boat when swimming.

it is light enough to handle with one person. My 11 year old bring the jib over and trims it.

The old melges had a center hook on the cockpit. we can tie the little kids right to them and they can walk around the whole cockpit with out falling in.

You can hang out in the sun on front desk and cockpit. Room for a large cooler in the back area.

You do not have to do any bottom jobs on the boat. fast in light wind, and medium wind.

the boat has enough power underjib and main in most winds you don't fly the chute with the kids on. I have a smaller stretch chute that I bring out when we take them.

Plus you can put it away in the covers when winter comes and go skiing.

Ultimate family boat.

Careful about the melges 24 though. It has been know to create Melges 24 kids. Something about sailing on one makes you kind of frisky when you get off the water! Not sure why, but our fleet has a bunch of munchkins walking around the docks and boats. ;)

How about the FT 7.5? Huge cockpit and very much under control over 10knts.

I've always liked the M24 and thought about picking up a used one several times. I have a Viper 640 and am looking to get an Ultimate 20 to use for some daysailing and local racing with the family/friends.

Good luck.

M24 is a great boat for everything you want to do. I can never figure out why people say they are hard to sail and need a full crew. They are one of the easiest boats to set up and sail. Can be single handed, double handed, or sailed with 6 if you like. Another great thing there is so much info out that any questions are easily answered with no need for guess work.

Could it be that some people come from higher wind areas, vs lighter wind areas?

Anything in a nice gentle sea breeze is manageable. If you live in an area where the weather is a bit nastier and unpredictable, the powered up SBs get to be a handful fast.

Anything under 15 knots is just easy as hell, alone or with one other person. It's not even stressful in 20 knots if you're decently competent and are happy to sail around under main alone (and can handle the boat under those circumstances).

Problem is that there just aren't a lot of used M24s around...

Yeah, I don't disagree with clean. It's my frustration of the constant gorge smackdown we take here coming out.

It would still be wise to actually sail one in some breeze to get the concept of what you are dealing with.

If you want mellow in a breeze, going out in 30-40 on a Moore 24 can be a relaxing experience. [edit] now why would you want to do that?

Sailing them in a breeze can be a handful as well, but Clean is right.....they are easy to sail and set up. Great open cockpit for the kids, stable, room down below and I bet you can make the main easy to reef down for more control/ I'd say go for it. I know about sailing them in breeze, I owned one in Hawaii and constantly sailed it in big breeze. To this day I wish I never had to sell my M24, especially since she was hull #2 and in GREAT shape.

if you can find one buy one. if you can't buy something else or sit on the cash till you find one. there are a couple for sale around. You just need to look

we have sailed ours single handed with just a main. even sailed it with just a jib a couple of times.

slept on it. layed out in the sun on it.

Never had to do a bottom job. just a coat of wax every twice a year. some soap and wind and sails. The boat is EASY to sail. Just hard to sail well. but I have never had so much fun as ripping along down wind in the melges. Or passing huge fast boats in light wind. the boats are just fun to sail.

hope you find one.

I very much doubt a FT 7.5 could be had under $20K. That was part of Wouldbe's requirement. If I'm wrong, please straighten me out and I'll go look at them.

Indeed, the FT 7.5, like the Seascape, the Dart (yes-yes, why not ? It's worth a try), and few others would be interesting, but "If I had a million dollars, I'd buy me a K car..." Actually, I'd commission something like a sexy GP26 by Donovan (and get that F-150). Anyway, I could go up to $30K, but not a penny more and I would have to eat egg sandwiches for a while, so M24 seems by far the best option yet.

Most comments so far are super comforting about the M24. I'll surely look around the preowned market to see what I can find.

I very much doubt a FT 7.5 could be had under $20K. That was part of Wouldbe's requirement. If I'm wrong, please straighten me out and I'll go look at them.

Indeed, the FT 7.5, like the Seascape, the Dart (yes-yes, why not ? It's worth a try), and few others would be interesting, but "If I had a million dollars, I'd buy me a K car..." Actually, I'd commission something like a sexy GP26 by Donovan (and get that F-150). Anyway, I could go up to $30K, but not a penny more and I would have to eat egg sandwiches for a while, so M24 seems by far the best option yet.

Most comments so far are super comforting about the M24. I'll surely look around the preowned market to see what I can find.

86Aries_Frt_RH.jpg

You actually want one of these?

-jim lee

would be take no notice of the BS that they are OK single-handers in 20knts, even in a proper 15 they won't be "1 comp sailor" no hikers boat, would be on their ear all aday

go back to page one where there are m24 sailors saying otherwise

how much sailing have you done in senior light dinghies or boats with <= 280kg ballast ?

btw there is a like new Magic in WI for 22k that will be alot stiffer, but really you need more dual purp and cabin than either

there is a u20 at NSC Nepean

It would still be wise to actually sail one in some breeze to get the concept of what you are dealing with.

i'm thinking so, very wise

has to be 20knts & 2-up to replicate the scenario

def depends on the main crewmembers capabilty as to whether it's do-able

inherently stiffer boat req as no live-ballast, R22- FT7.5 -Dart, other stiffer trailer yacht

whats the ballast on a u20?

We've done a few sunday 'cheese & crackers' sessions with our non-sailing g/f's in the M24 and the boat under jib only in 5-12kts has a nice balance of speed/cockpit room/stability/safety. Which keeps everyone happy! (No toilet is an issue so the girls just tend to take it easy on the sparkling stuff)

We tend not to worry about the main so much when the doing social thing and only do so if it's a really hot/light day and we want to use it as a $4k shade-cloth.

But if it's a boat you'd like to use in all conditions with a couple of little-ones or wifey then yeah I'd probably look elsewhere...can be a bit of a handful and too much like hard work when the seabreeze come in!

... ...

Beware of comments on how great the church is, when those comments are all coming from the choir!

Have you already determined that you want to race an M-24? That's the function of the boat, and there's no other way to race an M-24 as an owner (just buy it). However I am wondering if you have sailed one yourself and are getting swayed that it could indeed be at least somewhat family-friendly (as indeed it is, depending on what your family is like). If you havn't sailed on one, and are just convinced by the sexy looks & high performance that you need one, please try before you buy.

Also, you might want to try the Flying Tiger 7.5 or the Rocket 22. These boats are -much- more like what you're looking for... high initial stability, better manners in steering & handling, and a cabin. Well the FT 75 has no real cabin but at least it has enough internal volume that it -could- have one. The Rocket cabin is roomy & comfy enough that my wife changed her mind about hating it (although I still have not bought one). There is a Rocket for sale right here on SA for under $30k and if you peck real hard you might scratch up an FT 75 for that too.

Just tryna help

FB- Doug

(This thread is getting out of hand...)

Of course, I will do a thorough test drive before I buy anything. My request for info comes from the fact that the nearest M24 is probably between 400 miles (Toronto) and 600 miles (Boston ?) from where I live. The nearest FT 7.5 is probably as close to me as the nearest Seascape18 (a few thousands miles) or R22 (I saw one in Halifax though). So my short list has to be established quite carefully since I don't want to waste all my budget (time and money) trying boats that don't have a slice chance to fulfill my needs.

By the way, I don't have any experience with sportboats, but with dinghys, competing in optimist (of course!) and laser, then with sport cat (Hobie 18), and then BANG ! Jeanneau 45 and Beneteau 461 that don't belong to me (fine boats but not my bag : who wants to be a Diesel engineer, anyway?).

Participating in regattas again would be great, but apart from what seems to be a Viper fleet near Ottawa, I haven't spot any interesting OD fleet close. I still have to check in Lake Champlain. Still, racing is not a priority for now, unless the interest of the family really picks up.

Also, I asked for the price tag of a FT 7.5. Still waiting for an answer. Had the same reaction from Elan USA (inquiring about the Elan 210). Are dealers shy about the prices ? What is wrong with asking for prices ?

i'm thinking so, very wise

has to be 20knts & 2-up to replicate the scenario

def depends on the main crewmembers capabilty as to whether it's do-able

inherently stiffer boat req as no live-ballast, R22- FT7.5 -Dart, other stiffer trailer yacht

whats the ballast on a u20?

The bulb is 450 #'s.

Also, I asked for the price tag of a FT 7.5. Still waiting for an answer. Had the same reaction from Elan USA (inquiring about the Elan 210). Are dealers shy about the prices ? What is wrong with asking for prices ?

Wouldbe, if you want a 20+ sportboat for under $20K, forget about new. Buy the M-24 and get on with it.

Although I have no first hand knowledge, I suspect the reticence has a lot to do with the lack of business optimism in the US right now. No is able to gear up for production with the banks sitting on their cash and labor and material costs changing daily; committing to anything with so many variables in flux is just impossible. I looked into building a small plywood sportboat that I thought I could produce for under $10K. Well the hull is easy. Start sourcing rigs, sails, rigging, hardware, it just adds up and pretty soon you're getting close to $18-20K and, mind you, things like profit, rented facilities, workmen's comp and hourly wage aren't even a consideration. I would hazard a generality at this point that anyone who thinks he can build, distribute and support a line of small sportboats for under $35-40K is either delusional or the greatest non-profit in the history of sailing.

Used boats just keep looking better and better.

• 2 weeks later...

I owned a Sonar, considered an excellent family day sailer, before buying a Viper 640 in 1997. My wife was not enthusiastic about having infants disappear out the transom, or having to paddle home when the wind died, and we couldn't easily dry sail in Boston so the Viper went away.

When we started looking for a family day sailer we started looking at the Colgate 27, looking at used boats and even starting negotiations with Mr Colgate on a new one. But they aren't exactly sporty, you still need to put a skilled crew member on the bow with the spinnaker pole, and some of the fleet guys we talked to in Marblehead turned us off to the boat.

The Melges 24 came to the top of the list pretty quickly thereafter. We bought USA114 from a business associate and have been using it as a family day sailer for three years. We haven't used it nearly as much as we hoped to, but that's more due to weather, camp schedules and the like. We've been in exactly one race as a family. With a loose footed main and roller furling jib, you get off the mooring pretty quickly. The outboard is convenient if the wind dies. The cockpit will hold two families of five. Kids love the cuddy. You can actually sail in light air. Under main alone you can sail with kids in a moderate breeze, as long as you aren't trying to beat. You pass almost everything. It can be used for PHRF racing and the rating is stable. Yes, the foils are high-aspect and stall more quickly than conventional foils, but it's not difficult to build speed. M24's are not common around here (there is one other in Boston Harbor) and it attracts a crowd every time we bring it to the dock. At this point it's like owning a 70's Porsche 911: may not be the fastest boat around but everyone knows what it is. This season two different people asked us if we ever use it to take the kids tubing....

If we leave it in the water we have to haul it at least once a week to clean the bottom, which sucks. We're considering putting VC17 on it next season. We may also sell it, but if we do it will to buy a 35' or so cruising sailboat as we'd like to do trips now that the kids are a little older.

86Aries_Frt_RH.jpg

You actually want one of these?

-jim lee

That's a nice exotic automobile.

Has anyone made a reefable or cut-down main for an M24?

There was a fellow in Marblehead who had they original Viper 640 in town. He never raced it, but mostly sailed it single handed it on summer afternoons. He had a cut-down main sail made that made the boat (in original configuration with aluminum mast and lighter keel bulb) manageable in the afternoon sea breeze.

I've thought of doing this to use it as a trainer for my kids - they are 8,9, and 11 so pretty new at it.

Has anyone made a reefable or cut-down main for an M24?

There was a fellow in Marblehead who had they original Viper 640 in town. He never raced it, but mostly sailed it single handed it on summer afternoons. He had a cut-down main sail made that made the boat (in original configuration with aluminum mast and lighter keel bulb) manageable in the afternoon sea breeze.

I've thought of doing this to use it as a trainer for my kids - they are 8,9, and 11 so pretty new at it.

would be very easy to do... very.

I owned a M24 for a bit and let me tell you......I can't wait to get another. I have two kids that were 10 and 8 when I owned it. I really think it's almost the perfect boat, you just have to be smart about it. There is no way I would take them out in 20 knots with just the 3 of us. However I took them out on countless occasions and they loved it.

My 10 year old would launch the kite in super light air, and then come back to drive. My 8 year old daughter would curl up on the ferrari seats down below and just pass out. I owned a J/24 before it and couldn't' wait to get rid of it. cramped in the cockpit, slow as shit, yeah there were cushions but who gives a fuck if the boat isn't enjoyable. Sure it's not extremely difficult but compared to a M24 it's a train wreck.

Rest assured even if you buy a old boat it's still expensive to keep her competitive if you want to race her. Although that said, the most enjoyable sailing I've ever had has been on a M24. Not to mention anything you need for replacement parts can be ordered with a click of the mouse or a phone call to Andy or Harry. I will tell you it's worth the premium price to have that kind of service and parts availability.

There's a very nice old M24 for sale right now - just competed at nationals. Hit me up and I'll clue you in. Might be on the class site - not sure. USA-13.

clean@sailinganarchy.com

old melges are fast and fun. I had one for a long time. they can be rebuilt cheaply. the parts are very easy to make up. Plus there are a bunch of older parts out there. if you need to replace something just put the word out and you can pick it up on the used market. the race guys update the block and sails allot. The is always some blocks out there for a good price. So find a good boat and pick one up. you kids will love it. you wife will tolerate it. (not allot of bottom work ect...) there are tons of used sails out there. if you want a top notched sails, you can order them. if you want to be fast and right in there. there are 1 and 2 race sails out there.

you will wax PHRF sometimes. you can swim off the boat on hot days. cruise the boat and sleep if you want to.

it is fast in light wind, Fast in heavy wind. fast in medium winds. trailer it home when you are done!

Plus and older boat 11. kicked our butts all over the place. So it is not the boats that are faster or slower. it is the wing nut on the end of the tiller. They are easy boats to sail. Hard boats to sail fast then a world class sailor

so pick up a boat and enjoy the wind

Agree, I bought an older one a year ago for $16K and have had a blast. Came with three of everything. I was looking at other boats under $20K, trailerable, responsive, etc. Thought I would only sail around with kids, friends and we do that a lot , maybe race a little.... but ohhh no, got caught up in beer cans, then local stuff, now thinking of more..... great, fun boat for the money....

• 2 weeks later...

yes, you can put more on the boat. we some gals here in the PnW that sailed with 6 sometimes. the class rules say 793 lbs. the boat actually likes more weight than that. there is a ton of room in the cockpit. If you are doing phrf or just beer can sailing, load the boat up and go for a sail. It takes two poeple who know how to sail. the rest can have a beer or hang their feet in the water! we have had 7 kids on board with kids in light wind. with more on the dock.

Corsair Sprint 750. It has basically the same sail area in the jib, main, and spin as the M-24 but you will never have to worry about reducing sail or compromising the performance of the boat while sailing with the wife and kids in anything under 20 knots. And it's faster than a Melges 24 for sure. Corsair just came out with the Sprint 750 Mk II so there are several Mk I's on the market in the mid 40's. If you do your homework, you will find that Corsairs hold their value better than any boat on the market. I could sell my five old Sprint for at least 80-90 percent of what I paid for it. A friend who owned a 2001 Corsair 24 sold it in 2008 for what he paid for it new in 2001. The boat has a cockpit as large as the Melges, has roller furling for the mainsail, and has a real V-berth in it. You can also pitch tents on the trampolines. Sailing World called it their Sportboat of the Year in 2007. You can put the mast up and down by your self. It's the best multitasker out there for what you want in a racer-daysailor-camper.

Here's a pic of mine. Good luck.

post-17917-030328700 1319224586_thumb.jpg

gets better as the wind pipes up

in quite light the mono is competitive as the tri is less responsive to pressure variations, and 'wetted' is fixed

maybe like a trapeze dinghy is faster (over one without) but not while the trapeze is not needed

Melges 24 really do hold there value. I have had one for 10 years and sold it for what I bought it for. I can give you a list of boat owners who have done the same thing. There are some great boats out there and not a very far drive from you. The older hulls are going from 16 to 25k. great hulls and one of the funnest boat we have sailed. You just laugh all the time sailing them. Plus you can put it on the trailer and park it at home in the drive way. biased. Yes, but they are a bunch of fun. Plus you might even want to race it a couple of times. we stared out beer caning our old boat. Then going to larger and larger races. It does not take a bunch of pro crew to sail the boat. Yes you can sail it with a bunch of pros if you want. You can also go play golf with Tiger woods. Sailing it is very simple. rigging it totally simple and there are so many used sails out there you can rig the boat on a VERY low budget. Tons of trickle down gear. Running rigging, sails, what ever you need. There are over 800 boats already sold and most of them are still sailing! So pick one up and have a great time with your wife and kids. They will love swimming of the back. it has the easiest transum to swim off of.

You can sleep on them if you want to. put the word out and somebody will clean out the cushions in the basement. They have one of the most comfortable cockpits of an sailboat I have ever sailed on. The F boats are great with tramps. we looked them for awhile. but my wife did not like them going to weather and tacking them in confined areas. very slow to turn, and she found them scarey downwind.

So choose what ever you like. There are a couple of good boats, (lots of spares and well maintained) for sale. check the melges site.

OK then, M24 is definitely on the top of the short list. I will look around for one to try next spring (it was 37°F this morning ; did even reconsider going out on a bike ride...). I will be benchmarking between an illusive second hand R22 and a quantic FT7.5 (it does exist AND it doesn't at the same time). I guess the rest of the category can't get close enough pricewise.

OK then, M24 is definitely on the top of the short list. I will look around for one to try next spring (it was 37°F this morning ; did even reconsider going out on a bike ride...). I will be benchmarking between an illusive second hand R22 and a quantic FT7.5 (it does exist AND it doesn't at the same time). I guess the rest of the category can't get close enough pricewise.

For sure check out the 7.5m. If you are ever in So Cal and want to go sailing, send myself or Flying Tiger Boats a message. The boat does everything you are looking for. I believe there are a few lightly used boats for sale. The price will be more than an older M24, but you will have an essentially new boat.

post-44449-043048700 1319688182_thumb.jpg

I would recomend the M24. I got one about 6 years ago when my oldest of four kids was 14 and youngest was 9. Been loads of fun. Last summer in light air my now youngest who is now 15 has taken the boat out with a friend just to cruise around. Don't know an easier boat to sail. Yes if the breeze is over 15 you need the weight on the rail.

I'm a fan of M24. I think this class is having a renewed lease of life with some more casual racing in a tier below the grand prix circuit. But you can still choose to go and play golf with Tiger Woods by signing up for the M24 worlds in san francisco.

I also support the post who suggested looking at the F24 Corsair (also F750 sprint)

I took an F24 out a couple of times last summer. My 10 year old loved it. It moves fast from a to b. (kids like getting there). They loved playing on the trampolines. It was fast and fun for me. It was easy to single hand while the kids were relaxing - I dont have to insist that they sit on the windward rail. I had a good time.

I am keeping my Viper and my 26' Seasprite for my favorite combination of racing and kid cruising, but if asked to bring my kids out for a day sailing the Corsair, I always say yes.

Careful about the melges 24 though. It has been know to create Melges 24 kids. Something about sailing on one makes you kind of frisky when you get off the water! Not sure why, but our fleet has a bunch of munchkins walking around the docks and boats. ;)

I'm new to the site in the same boat as the OP, so i figured i would post in this thread. Anywho, I am looking at boats in the 20 -25k range.

Wants list:

trailerable

campable for 2-3 people

single handable

I really want an asym .... easier to launch and douse, less people, etc

somewhat singlehandable

if it can take a rock hit, that's a plus. I sail in a lake that is FULL of reefs and unmarked rocks. I don't plan on hitting anything, but it happens to the best of them!

Ideally something that has a good size fleet that makes used parts and sails plentiful and cheap!

Boats i'm eyeing, the M24, FT 7.5, blusail 24...... just read another thread about the U24, sounds pretty cool and one of the guys who races has a U27

Posted · Hidden by Tiger 20, November 2, 2011 - duplicate
Hidden by Tiger 20, November 2, 2011 - duplicate

I'm new to the site in the same boat as the OP, so i figured i would post in this thread. Anywho, I am looking at boats in the 20 -25k range.

Wants list:

trailerable

campable for 2-3 people

single handable

somewhat singlehandable

if it can take a rock hit, that's a plus. I sail in a lake that is FULL of reefs and unmarked rocks. I don't plan on hitting anything, but it happens to the best of them!

Ideally something that has a good size fleet that makes used parts and sails plentiful and cheap!

Boats i'm eyeing, the M24, FT 7.5, blusail 24...... just read another thread about the U24, sounds pretty cool and one of the guys who races has a U27

Wants list:

trailerable

campable for 2-3 people

single handable

somewhat singlehandable

My Pick is the FT 7.5.

Mid-40sk$ is a stretch though. Also, I am afraid of the upwind capacity of multihulls. When sailing in the St-Laurent river, for instance, current AND wind usually goes in the same direction, parallel to the river.

I'm obviously biased towards my Corsair but I am also a big fan of any sportboat. Keep in mind today's multihull is not yesterday's multihull (a big reason why the AC is being sailed in multihulls).

The Sprint 750 is faster in all conditions than the Melges 24. In mixed fleet racing I have done against M-32's and J-130's in my local area, we are about even with the J-130 and just a tick off the M-32 upwind in breeze less than 10 knots. Above 10 knots, we are faster upwind than both. Our boatspeed remains in the range of 9-11 knots upwind in +10 knots of breeze and I can do that easily doublehanding the boat with my 95 lb girlfriend. In less than 10 knots if we are using our screacher, our tacking angle is around 85-90 degrees, around 90-95 degrees in heavier air where we sail more bow down. Downwind we are slightly faster than the M-24 across the wind range. The M-32 is a bit faster downwind in light air, I'd say we are close in 10-18 knots, and they are faster in 18-25 knots if they keep their foils under the boat. We top out in downwind speed at around 17-18 knots, a M-32 has shown it can cross into the low to mid 20's. Any higher for either boat starts getting a bit scary! Another great feature of the Sprint and most Corsairs is the roller reefing for the mainsail. You can easily reduce sail area on the Sprint to reefed main and jib and sail upwind and downwind at 8-13 knots in 15-20 knots of breeze.

I can't argue against the M-24, the strength of its class, and the numbers built. It's a beautiful boat and it especially makes a lot sense for you if there is a local fleet. Corsair has built about 1/4 the number of Sprints and most of those owners are not racers and that is something we'd like to change. We (the Corsair owners)want to do a better job to market the Sprint and other Corsair tris as the boat a sportboat enthusiast can own and sail/race without giving up (actually gaining) peformance while being able to very comfortably daysail or weekend cruise with the wife and kids.

Again, good luck in your search. Hope you find the boat that makes you and your family happy!

Wants list:

trailerable

campable for 2-3 people

single handable

somewhat singlehandable

My Pick is the FT 7.5.

Why the FT?

Wants list:

trailerable

campable for 2-3 people

single handable

somewhat singlehandable

If you're looking for well-sorted boats that are ready to go in that price range, how about a Blusail 24, U20, an antrim 27 (a little higher than your pricepoint),B25, or Mantra 7000? All available now through the SA classifieds, and all meet your requirements except for maybe good sized fleets. But they're still fairly easily managed as far as the TCO goes.

Wants list:

trailerable

campable for 2-3 people

single handable

somewhat singlehandable

My Pick is the FT 7.5.

Why the FT?

It's a stiffer boat more suited to short-handed or lesser experienced, won't be as flighty, rounding up or 'on your ear' if any breeze

it has enough bulb to carry off all of the above where te others do not, they need experience and crews

there also a possibility of running at 1' reduced draft, a consideration/option in the design phase though the mechanics of this would need investigation

if you are going to run into rocks ? does a Farrier have a pivoting board ?? should be much lesser draft on the multi too ?

Participating in regattas again would be great, but apart from what seems to be a Viper fleet near Ottawa, I haven't spot any interesting OD fleet close. I still have to check in Lake Champlain. Still, racing is not a priority for now, unless the interest of the family really picks up.

There is no OD sportboat class on Lake Champlain yet, but there are two Viper 640s and maybe another coming next year. Our club (Lake Champlain Yacht Club) sportboat fleet includes a Viper 640, Melges 20, Open 5.70, Open 5.00, and J/80. We may be getting another Viper and maybe a VX in the near future. The last Melges 24 racer on the lake sold his boat for the Melges 20. A Rocket 22 would be a perfect dual-purpose sportboat on Lake Champlain.

Cheers,

jason

Lake Champlain is a great place to sail. The Melges does well in PHRF. Every time you get a little swagger from doing well in a local races, put the boat on the trailer and go racing against some top sailors. Suddenly the races are really tight and a larger fleet shows you their heels.

It is kind of like playing golf. You can go out and play by yourself,

Or

You can go play against some top guys watching what they are doing. Asking questions on WHAT they are doing. Picking up tricks along they way.

Suddenly one day, You pass a couple of them and are right there in a couple of races. You and your team feels the rush of doing well. You lined up with Tiger and beat him on a course. He might have a bad knee, but do you think you and your crew will tell you buds back at home that? Nope

plus the best thing about the boat. is you can put it back in your garage when the snow comes to Lake Champlain area and you are sitting back at muddy waters drinking your hot coco. If the cold gets to you to much. Hook up the boat and drive south warm up at one of the Melges 1D races. Defrost and stock up on antifreeze.

stay warm and have a great winter thinking about what boat you are going to get.

are you in the right thread ?

"Am I completely out of my mind to consider that a second hand M24 would be a good choice for a low budget fun family racer-daysailor-camper .... Still, racing is not a priority for now, unless the interest of the family really picks up."

the blokes not a racer and has no crew

wants

"Wants list:trailerable

campable for 2-3 people

single handable"

If you're looking for well-sorted boats that are ready to go in that price range, how about a Blusail 24, U20, an antrim 27 (a little higher than your pricepoint),B25, or Mantra 7000? All available now through the SA classifieds, and all meet your requirements except for maybe good sized fleets. But they're still fairly easily managed as far as the TCO goes.

I've been eying that Antrim. It's a little out of my price range, but i think it would be a fun boat. The best part is, there's another one on the lake so it would be fun to match race. I talked with the fellow and he's pretty excited to see which way I head. He was suggesting the way of the M24. Is the 27 fairly easy to handle? He gave me the impression that it wasn't really a day sailing boat and that the crew has to be on top of their game all the time.

Blusail: I emailed the fellow about the blusail, also looks like a nice boat. The thing that scares me about it is it's rating. 148! Does it outperform it's rating or is it kind of a dud?

@gybeset, I don't PLAN on running into rocks, but when you're on a lake full of reefs and the water goes from 100 ft deep to 4 feet deep and right back to 100 ft in a matter of 20 meters, shit happens. The water can also fluctuate 5+ feet over the season making rocks exposed or not. Having a plotter is ESSENTIAL and still doesn't guarantee anything.

People usually think you're a bad sailor if you've hit bottom. On this lake, even people who hav e been on it for a decade and have plotters and the latest gear hit it. It's exactly the opposite, if you haven't hit bottom yet, you don't have much experience on the lake. The insurance companies absolutely HATE IT!

mate i'm addressing that, if in fact it has any priority

the mk1 version of one design mentioned has a pivoting centreboard, the mkII a dagger, both are shallower than the other options and the pivoter could be made even shallower again (?cut it off where the rocks leave a ding??)

in the 'rocks' consideration this is an overwhelming advantage (mkI)

you don't need a deepdraft raceboat with fuck all experienced boat handlers on board

• 2 months later...

I'm a big fan on the M24, when I had mine, I did lots of double handed sailing and family sailing, went out a couple of times with just a friend and my twin kids, 7 years old at the time, we put the spin up and had some great fun, they loved the big cockpit, lots of room to play around :)

And BTW I'm on San Francisco, so was blowing more than average.

The reefed main can be a good choice for some easy sailing.

There is no OD sportboat class on Lake Champlain yet, but there are two Viper 640s and maybe another coming next year. Our club (Lake Champlain Yacht Club) sportboat fleet includes a Viper 640, Melges 20, Open 5.70, Open 5.00, and J/80. We may be getting another Viper and maybe a VX in the near future. The last Melges 24 racer on the lake sold his boat for the Melges 20. A Rocket 22 would be a perfect dual-purpose sportboat on Lake Champlain.

Cheers,

jason

i550's are coming (cue Jaws theme) group builds info at i550sportboat.com or PM Timber.

I have my M24 #21 with me down on the NH Seacoast and am looking for racing this upcoming season. Anyone on Lake Champlain - let me know maybe we can put something together one design wise. There are boats in New England now we need some races !!!

I have my M24 #21 with me down on the NH Seacoast and am looking for racing this upcoming season. Anyone on Lake Champlain - let me know maybe we can put something together one design wise. There are boats in New England now we need some races !!!

AFAIK, there are no M24s still racing on Lake Champlain, although there may still be one owner somewhere. Our local M24 guy moved to a Melges 20. At LCYC, we have a Melges 20, a Viper 640, an Open 5.70, and an Open 5.00 racing in our B fleet (lighter boats) with J/29s, J/92s, and J/92Ss, plus an A-Cat. You are welcome to come join us for any of our weekend races which are free to enter. Our Wednesday series has a small fee for non-members (maybe $150 a season?), but I'm sure you could come in for one or two with no charge.

Cheers,

jason

This is a great question. I have to tell you that when I finallyreceived the green light to purchase a boat, from the boss (Wife), I had convincedher the M24 was the greatest day sailor ever made (year 1998). You have to understand thatshe well only sail if the temp. is in the 70's and the breeze is in the 7-13knot range and camping to her is staying at a Holiday Inn without a coffeemaker. Of course the kids (9 and 13 years old at the time), my wife's mainreason for living, all want to go out and sail at top speed. With this dilemmathe M24 seemed to satisfy everyone. Today my wife still sails on it with me andthe kids are all grown up and my son wants the keys to the M24 because it isstill a great boat.

Some of the best times we had out on the lake were in light air when we wereall swimming and dragging the kids on a float behind the boat.

The big plus is I could race and cruise on it all the time (Winter and Summer)and we would get the most out of the investment. I have discovered the M24 hasa great wind range and moves in all conditions. We have owned several boats andI still have an M24 (My 3rd one-because it has great resale value) and I haveyet to find another design that has a cockpit and sail plan that comes close. Melges has great support for parts and advice even for the guy that bought a used boat.

Camping on the M24 is best done with an air mattress and a boom tent.

Wish you the best of luck on your decision.<br style="mso-special-character: line-break;"><br style="mso-special-character: line-break;">

Do you have ANY photos you can post of your M24 boom tent?

Archived