65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

We need eyes out there boys!!!!! Historic event if not BS... ( I am leaning to the latter). Could he possibly have moved the thing with only a seagull and a dream??? So many questions,........

Mouth agape shaking head.......

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

The Flyin' Hawaiian Takes Flight

January 26, 2015 – San Francisco Bay

There's something missing from Sausalito's Richardson Bay anchorage: the notorious Flyin' Hawaiian catamaran. Word around the docks is that Hot Rod Lane's home-built creation actually made it out the Golden Gate and headed south over the weekend.

Why is that news? Because Lane's 65-ft cat — which was launched in May 2013 after a three-year build process at San Rafael's Loch Lomond Marina — had been unsuccessful on all previous attempts to either sail or motor. And she'd dragged several times in different parts of the North Bay, once having to be rescued by the Coast Guard.

2015-01-26_1206_FlyinHawaiianLL.jpg

Despite her odd shape and construction techniques, many observers were impressed that the Flyin' Hawaiian actually floated on her lines when launched at Loch Lomond Marina in May 2013.

Photo Latitude / Andy

© 2015 Latitude 38 Publishing, LLC

Designed and built by Lane, 53, and his son Michael Johnson, 29, without any professional help, the big cat's odd shape, 2-by-4-and-plywood construction and unconventional rig have made it the butt of many caustic comments on cruiser forums.

So where is Flyin' Hawaiian headed? Lane's original goal was to reach Hawaii and live aboard there at anchor. But conjecture around the Richardson Bay anchorage seems to be that she's heading to Southern Cal first.

The bottom line for Belvedere homeowners living adjacent to the anchorage is that there is now one less illegal liveaboard vessel to blight their view. And for the Richardson Bay Regional Authority, which oversees the anchorage, there's one less unnavigable vessel that might drag ashore and have to be removed at great taxpayer expense.

- latitude / andy

well wherever he winds up ya gotta take ya hat off to the blind "fuck you" anarchy of this guy, ok he'll probably need rescuing and more than likely polute someplace soon but he's on his way.....Hawaii been informed???

well wherever he winds up ya gotta take ya hat off to the blind "fuck you" anarchy of this guy, ok he'll probably need rescuing and more than likely polute someplace soon but he's on his way.....Hawaii been informed???

no but there's plenty of time. I'm guessing he's spinning helplessly in the potato patch wishing he had rutters.

I'm currently monitoring the distress channels.

I say this next thing with all seriousness: Please dear [insert your favorite deity], look out for Hotrod. The offshore situation right now is as calm as it gets, but there is a lot of shit that can go wrong out there, and as silly as Hotrod is, I think everyone here doesn't want a disaster.

wtf is this???? Ill gladly add some tits and beer but I cant figure out how.....

Damn when I joined SA is was a mere forum , Very easy. I guess the, X nut job, kept me away from boats, and computers, cause for the life of me, I cant seem to add pics...

Clue me in as I feel like HR and his rutters...... and btw I woke up in the middle of the night and laughed for a few minutes. I cant get, Rutters, and that pic of them waving out of my head...

no but there's plenty of time. I'm guessing he's spinning helplessly in the potato patch wishing he had rutters.

A proper modernly designed scatamabarge don't need butters.

If you had studied the thousands of designs Rod did, you'd know that.

Folks have been asking about FH waste handling. It seems HotRod may have finally pumped out the FH holding tank: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/23/mysterious-gray-gunk-killing-hundreds-birds-in-san-francisco-area/

The gunk covers the birds' feathers, affecting their ability to insulate themselves, and they eventually succumb to hypothermia and freeze to death.

Really?

In San Francisco Bay??

Just checked the local area webcams. Can't find him. If he did manage to get out the Gate, it's going to be a long night. No wind offshore, so it will be a drifter. 10 to 1 he ends up in Santa Cruz, like the Tin Can, or in Half Moon Bay.

So being on the east coast, I don't know much about SF Bay... Is it possible he just broke loose and the current took him put the gate? I can hardly believe that he motored that heap anywhere. Maybe someone came by and towed it?

I didn't see the FH in Richardson Bay yesterday and wondered...did she "sail"?

It was pretty rough in SF Bay and the Pacific Ocean yesterday.

Rod must have heard about what a great job Rimas was doing drifting to paradise islands but the FH is no SJ24 - the FH voyage is doomed

So being on the east coast, I don't know much about SF Bay... Is it possible he just broke loose and the current took him put the gate? I can hardly believe that he motored that heap anywhere. Maybe someone came by and towed it?

Yeah, an ebb can get you to the Gate from Richardson Bay (about 2 miles) and give you the "Big Flush" into the ocean. The currents offshore right now appears to be going due west. Not good if you are trying to go south.

here's the map:

http://www.calstate.edu/coast/programs-assets/cocmp.shtml#

Anyone check the scrap-wood bin/barge next to the Raccoon ??

HR might have heard stories of all the Fish & Wildlife around the nearby Farallon Islands

he could make a fortune Fining just the Sharks that rub up against the FH

Yeah, an ebb can get you to the Gate from Richardson Bay (about 2 miles) and give you the "Big Flush" into the ocean. The currents offshore right now appears to be going due west. Not good if you are trying to go south.

here's the map:

I've seen this movie and know how it ends. Pago Pago. Rimas is waiting with a duffle bag full of food.

here's the map:

I've seen this movie and know how it ends. Pago Pago. Rimas is waiting with a duffle bag full of food with PLEASE GIVE painted on it.

Fixed.

I have said it before, and was ridiculed. There is genius here. If marine ply or at least sign grade was used instead of OSB this thing would be a huge step forward. If all exterior surfaces were covered with at least a 1/2 inch or fiberglass than this would be a whole different animal. If aluminum supports were used to keep everything together than maybe, just maybe there is merit here...

I can't help imagine a 100 ft cat built in Hot Rods philosophy with somewhat better materials.

I went to a canvas shop last Monday and noticed it was not where it was, thought it might have moved. Yes it's been very calm the few weeks, glassy bay with the only recent wind on Sunday with around 12-16 at the gate ( I sailed out in it) we have had " king" tides this last week, big 6-7 foot changes, the ebb would have sucked that barge out fast. I don't know how a outboard could control it out in open ocean???? Coast guard rescue soon I bet

I have said it before, and was ridiculed. There is genius here. If marine ply or at least sign grade was used instead of OSB this thing would be a huge step forward. If all exterior surfaces were covered with at least a 1/2 inch or fiberglass than this would be a whole different animal. If aluminum supports were used to keep everything together than maybe, just maybe there is merit here...

I can't help imagine a 100 ft cat built in Hot Rods philosophy with somewhat better materials.

He did not use OSB. Where did you get that idea? Have you read the entire thread and looked at the photos? It's plywood. Not Marine grade, but still plywoood.

Covered with 1/2 inch of fiberglass? Where have you seen wooden hull of any kind with 1/2 inch thick fiberglass sheathing?

He did cover the hull with cloth and epoxy. We do not have facts about the weight of the cloth or if it's more than one layer. Whatever it is it's enough for the barge to float and drift. The structure is suspect. Carriage bolts, drywall screws, as lower grade of framng lumber.

If he hits a swell and/or any kind of wind it will proably begin to deteriorate.

The question is when and will he be able to find a safe harbor before it becomes a floating debris field.

Edit: Correction---Construction materials are described by Bhyde in this post:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=126442&page=2#entry3435436

He did not use OSB. Where did you get that idea? Have you read the entire thread and looked at the photos? It's plywood. Not Marine grade, but still plywoood.

Covered with 1/2 inch of fiberglass? Where have you seen wooden hull of any kind with 1/2 inch thick fiberglass sheathing?

He did cover the hull with cloth and epoxy. We do not have facts about the weight of the cloth or if it's more than one layer. Whatever it is it's enough for the barge to float and drift. The structure is suspect. Carriage bolts, drywall screws, as lower grade of framng lumber.

If he hits a swell and/or any kind of wind it will proably begin to deteriorate.

The question is when and will he be able to find a safe harbor before it becomes a floating debris field.

Edit: Correction---Construction materials are described by Bhyde in this post:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=126442&page=2#entry3435436

Obviously the answer was YES !!

Now the Question for $Mom'sLifeSavings is "Why did he leave that Last Chance Safe Harbor" ???

Just when I compliment him on building a more or less capable floating condo...

He could have stayed in Richardson Bay for a few more years, enjoying the California life style, the view of Sausolito without the real estate costs, and turned himself into someone we might have wondered might not have been so stupid as we thought initially...

Now he goes out and tries to prove what he DIDN'T build, namely a seaworthy boat..

Again, I'd love to be proven wrong (just for the heck of it!) but what are the odds?

Folks have been asking about FH waste handling. It seems HotRod may have finally pumped out the FH holding tank: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/23/mysterious-gray-gunk-killing-hundreds-birds-in-san-francisco-area/

The gunk covers the birds' feathers, affecting their ability to insulate themselves, and they eventually succumb to hypothermia and freeze to death.

Really?

In San Francisco Bay??

Um, you obviously have never been in SF Bay, Nicht Wahr?

Water temp is high 40s to low 50s all year round.

You can succumb to hypothermia right quick be ye beast or man.

I went to a canvas shop last Monday and noticed it was not where it was, thought it might have moved. Yes it's been very calm the few weeks, glassy bay with the only recent wind on Sunday with around 12-16 at the gate ( I sailed out in it) we have had " king" tides this last week, big 6-7 foot changes, the ebb would have sucked that barge out fast. I don't know how a outboard could control it out in open ocean???? Coast guard rescue soon I bet

So he snuck out on us over a week ago? Damn!

Go the Rod!

So he snuck out on us over a week ago? Damn!

Go the Rod!

Soil the child

Someone contact HR and tell him the internet is sorry and could he please, please, please upload some footage of that thing in the ocean.

If anyone's brave enough footage from below looking forward the length of the hull would be ideal… A glimpse of the beams intersecting would be nice...

Wow. The FH should be good and soft by now. I'm thinking even a moderate sea is going to be big trouble for our friend.

I'm guessing he did one layer of ply and not much glass? I don't recall any definitive evidence of the layers of stuff.

Wow. The FH should be good and soft by now. I'm thinking even a moderate sea is going to be big trouble for our friend.

I'm guessing he did one layer of ply and not much glass? I don't recall any definitive evidence of the layers of stuff.

Oh c'mon, he used the finest heavy-duty joist hangers! Those guys on Aisle 11 at Home Depot wouldn't have given bad advice.

And don't forget, he's got a snow shovel.

FB- Doug

Hypothermia may feel the same as freezing, but it's not the same thing physically speaking...

The usual scenario is that you are sailing along all warm and happy and then you fall in the water because you're drunk. This results in your asshole slamming shut so hard you have a heart attack.

Might have to give the Coast Guard a call and see if they have seen him.

He had one undersized outboard on that thing in the last picture we saw of it. How is even a slight breeze not going to push it wherever it will ? I don't think waves are the problem. Any current or breeze is going to be the defining factor as to on what rock it makes its final resting place.

Aint Sailing Anarchy great?

Just as Rimas gets towed to shore and the story starts to lag Hot Rod hot foots it out of dodge and we have another train wreck to gawk at.

Ohh it's so exciting.

When they move mobile homes, the drywall cracks. I wonder if wet drywall is more flexible?

Did he ever get it out there?? Man that would be a feat if he actually used the skiff to get it to the boat, then actually hung, taped and mudded the thing. How did we miss that?? Did he plumb the kitchen (not galley as it is actually a kitchen)??

So many questions that will never be answered.....

Haz anyone actually gone the the FH's Last Known Location ?

Might be a couple sheets of plywood each marking the location of

Some heavy duty polypropylene rope and a Train Wheel

Would make a Great Perpetual Trophy

For Excellence in Stupidity

In before the FH is spotted around the corner in the shoals off San Rafael, snug as a bug.

After the harrowing tow from San Rafael to Richardson Bay, James conceded that his steering system needed another think. He's had more than a year to design and fabricate; maybe he hung the new rudders in the time between our photos. No one has definitive intel on what is onboard for the last year. He could have twin Yamaha 250s stashed under the transom steps for all we know. That little outboard could be solely for the dinghy.

The plywood probably would not be soggy; he's coated (sloppily) everything in thick coats of epoxy and the exterior has at least one layer of glass cloth. With the minimal stress the structure has experienced since its launch, I can imagine the boat is still watertight. Plus, Hot Rod is a fixer; if something looked bad he's patch it up. No doubt it's not to our marine standards, but a blob of underwater-curing epoxy putty can get you by until you're off Point Sur.

I've never seen pictures of drywall near the boat, nor has James ever mentioned it publicly.

The James Lane/Flyin' Hawaiian saga is entertaining enough by itself without the uninspired fabrications of some of the clowns here.

I swear, you bitches are worse than a sewing circle.

I wonder if those of late who apologized for doubting HR

And changed their tune to actually wishing him well

Just might have Given HR the Strength he needed to actually head out

Unfortunately no words could give the FH said strength

Does the State have TAX-lien moorings in SF ??

Might be a chance for someone to buy the FH for ........

..........................??

................. well I guess there isn't any reason anyone would buy it

Hay by any chance could the strongest King - tide if timed properly

Have pushed the FH back to its original birthplace

And got it back on the trailer ???

Or high and dry up the Delta ??

Brilliant if so !!

In before the FH is spotted around the corner in the shoals off San Rafael, snug as a bug.

After the harrowing tow from San Rafael to Richardson Bay, James conceded that his steering system needed another think. He's had more than a year to design and fabricate; maybe he hung the new rudders in the time between our photos. No one has definitive intel on what is onboard for the last year. He could have twin Yamaha 250s stashed under the transom steps for all we know. That little outboard could be solely for the dinghy.

The plywood probably would not be soggy; he's coated (sloppily) everything in thick coats of epoxy and the exterior has at least one layer of glass cloth. With the minimal stress the structure has experienced since its launch, I can imagine the boat is still watertight. Plus, Hot Rod is a fixer; if something looked bad he's patch it up. No doubt it's not to our marine standards, but a blob of underwater-curing epoxy putty can get you by until you're off Point Sur.

I've never seen pictures of drywall near the boat, nor has James ever mentioned it publicly.

The James Lane/Flyin' Hawaiian saga is entertaining enough by itself without the uninspired fabrications of some of the clowns here.

I swear, you bitches are worse than a sewing circle.

Says a PinCushion :-0

All I hear from you San Francisco guys is how you are all great sailors and can sail in big wind bla bla bla... Maybe that's true but your situational awareness sucks! We are not talking a kite board here! You guys have lost track of a 65'x30' catamaran! WTF!

Anybody hear of any reports from surfers about 2 X 4's and plywood washing up an the beach? I suppose it would blend in well with the Japanese tsunami debris.

Man, that is low. HR snuck out on us... Does anyone know what day he left exactly? We might be able to figure out the farthest he could possibly have gone in that time. I'll check the Santa Cruz harbor this afternoon.

We need to make a list of likely harbors that he might have tucked in.

Half moon Bay

Santa Cruz

Monterey

Moss Landing

??

I'll check Santa Cruz

Any volunteers for the the other harbors?

Man, that is low. HR snuck out on us... Does anyone know what day he left exactly? We might be able to figure out the farthest he could possibly have gone in that time. I'll check the Santa Cruz harbor this afternoon.

Half moon Bay

Santa Cruz

Monterey

Moss Landing

??

I'll check Santa Cruz

Thanks Captain!

Sun's up on Honolulu and no sign of it here...

Well played, sir.

(applause)

I think it's more likely that HR and the FH have gone to the southern part of the bay, or up one of the rivers/creeks, than that he went out the Golden Gate to sea. For one thing, it's a near certainty that he was being towed.

FB- Doug

Wow! My timing was just about perfect.

I bet all you lazy-ass sad-sacks who didn't go out and look at her while you could are sorry now.

As for me, I have no fear that she'll be located again soon enough. That plywood wasn't so waterlogged yet that the fragments won't still float.

Not in santa cruz harbor.

Did anyone actually see him go out the gate?

How do we know he didnt go up to the delta? Its really the logical place for him to go.

"Word around the docks is that Hot Rod Lane's home-built creation actually made it out the Golden Gate and headed south over the weekend." - Latitude/Andy

Who is this Andy, why is he not on Sailing Anarchy and who is he getting this "word around the docks" from?

This is such a thrilling moment! My predictions (based on the presumption Rod has some money now) in descending order:

1) Heading for the Delta for the summer. May drift, power until a tow is needed (it's a long way upstream) then tie up to the trees for an indeterminable time, measured in years. The most logical and best thing for him to do. He's a shallow protected water style houseboat, folks.

2) Something bad happened and he's been hauled for repairs somewhere or the cops dewatered and pulled him out.

3) Moved to a different "anchorage" somewhere in the Bay somehow. Pretty unlikely; Richardson Bay is tits for derelict boats with minimal hassle.

4) Actually had the balls to exit the Bay and is now voyaging downcoast to Newport Beach according to his plan to visit Minney's. The cruiser's anchorage is only a short bus ride and hike to http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/, where a lot of good stuff for older boats is cheap; hell, I've bought stuff there. Downer; Newpy Harbor does not tolerate transients after a few weeks; either rent a slip or get out of Dodge.

Let us pray it's not #4. With limited effective engine and no sail propulsion it'll be tough to make the next refuge and nearly impossible to clear some pretty serious headlands on the way to NB. If the weather blesses him it might be possible to drift downcoast with minor engine use. OTOH, I've transited that part of the California Coast two times, and things can get nasty in a hurry. Let us pray for Rod if he's outside the Golden Gate.

"Word around the docks is that Hot Rod Lane's home-built creation actually made it out the Golden Gate and headed south over the weekend." - Latitude/Andy

Who is this Andy, why is he not on Sailing Anarchy and who is he getting this "word around the docks" from?

I think that's Reid's crewman who went off to become a miner.

Half moon Bay

Santa Cruz

Monterey

Moss Landing

??

I'll check Santa Cruz

Moss Landing kind of makes sense. I'm convinced that's where boats go to die.

Really?

In San Francisco Bay??

Um, you obviously have never been in SF Bay, Nicht Wahr?

Water temp is high 40s to low 50s all year round.

You can succumb to hypothermia right quick be ye beast or man.

One can die of hypothermia in 75° water. But one cannot "freeze to death". I am being too literal right? This is SA, not CF right? I was just pointing out poor journalism.