65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

another unanswered one is of course was that position he was rescued from as far as he got out to sea or as far as he got back from where he did get to when he realised things weren't going quite rosey, was it a coastal passage that went horribly wrong or was he really nuts enough to actually point the thing toward Hawaii. surely no one'd insure the thing so deliberate sinking would not be a factor............wonder if he'll do a tell all book.........

So, who was in the basket?? The Viking and val?? Or Mom and miss Rod?? Did the Viking have a GF on board was the val the GF?? :wacko::unsure: 5 total right, so who was the 3rd wheel?? and why is the Viking or Hot's sig other not the first mate?? Or was the Viking smart enough to stay home and it is just Rod, his wife, val and her preggers GF?? and MOM?? :blink:

So many questions.......

We don't even know that Rod was anywhere near the thing. Maybe he found a sucker and unloaded it.

Interesting thought. Perhaps HR traded the FH for the batman trimaran?

For God's sake, no movie! That would mean someone would have to build another one! Aaaagh...

Which would probably end as well as the Bounty recreation. Even without a hurricane.

Nah, it would obviously be built as a prop, just slapped together to look like the real thing... no attempt at using marine quality materials, HD exterior ply, 2x4's, drywall screws, oh wait... :rolleyes:

For God's sake, no movie! That would mean someone would have to build another one! Aaaagh...

Which would probably end as well as the Bounty recreation. Even without a hurricane.

Nah, it would obviously be built as a prop, just slapped together to look like the real thing... no attempt at using marine quality materials, HD exterior ply, 2x4's, drywall screws, oh wait... :rolleyes:

Paper mache would do well, and be just as sturdy as the original...

another unanswered one is of course was that position he was rescued from as far as he got out to sea or as far as he got back from where he did get to when he realised things weren't going quite rosey, was it a coastal passage that went horribly wrong or was he really nuts enough to actually point the thing toward Hawaii. surely no one'd insure the thing so deliberate sinking would not be a factor............wonder if he'll do a tell all book.........

well that assumes that the scatamabarge could be steered and had some method of propulsion. we don't know that, and was probably just drifting helplessly around.

well that assumes that the scatamabarge could be steered and had some method of propulsion. we don't know that, and was probably just drifting helplessly around.

And if USCG classified this as a rescue from a sailing vessel, I might just petition them to reclassify it as a rescue from something else. A barge. A raft. Whatever.

If you used the reported hundreds of litres of epoxy in the paper mache I would imagine you would have a far stronger hull. West system paper mache?

And if USCG classified this as a rescue from a sailing vessel, I might just petition them to reclassify it as a rescue from something else. A barge. A raft. Whatever.

USCG Lawsuit Filed in Federal Court over Un-Lawful FH Rescue

DARWIN Claiming unspecified Damages for Theft of Property without Compensation

King Neptune looking into making it a Class Action for Littering and Willful Abandonment ^_^

I think "snag" is term for a jumble of random wood in the water.

This situation is getting confusing in an old time comedy kind of way:

A rescue? So who was on the boat?

The Captain, Mate, and a few crew.

Well, thank God. Does their family know that they're safe?

This was a family trip for two families, the Captain's and the Mate's so they're counting their blessings that everyone made it back.

Two... familys? The captain's, AND his mate's? And they're on good terms?

Yes, and both with children, one on the way.

I don't understand. How many mates does the captain's wife have?

Just the one. They ARE married, after all.

Ok, they're monagomous. So who's the other couple?

The navigator's married too.

Two happy couples and their families out on a sailing trip then?

Yeah, they and the crew are mates from way back- neighbors in Sausalito and they got close over time.

Wait, are they all mates then?

Well of course. You wouldn't want to sail to Hawaii with people you don't get on with, would you?

Wait, so it's one big free love orgy out there?

Of course not! The captain isn't going to have sex with his mother or son now, is he?

So is there mating going on or not?

Well, the Mate's wife is pregnant so you'd expect so.

Wait, the captain's mate got someone else pregnant?

Why not? It's not as if the Captain and Mate are sleeping together.

So how many mates are there on this boat?

Just the one Mate. Crew's not not big enough for a second or a third, now, is it?

So there are two familes with one expecting. Who's the mother?

The navigator- the Mate's wife.

So the captain and his wife have a family, and the navigator and his wife are expecting?

Yes, the Mate and the navigator are expecting a little bundle of joy in another couple of months. The navigator is pretty big right now and was a bit worried during the rescue. The Mate's right thrilled, she is. Proud father.

There you go with the 'mate' again. Wait, 'she'? Father?

Well, yes.

She as in she and she?

Yes.

Ah, so the navigator got a little help from a fertility clinic?

No, in the usual way with her spouse, I expect. What, do you need the birds and bees explained to you?

I thought not, until I started talking to you.

Who's on first mate first?

I have a friend that lives on the water in Sausalito , I asked him if he had seen the pig in the water, here is his reply

" Yeah I remember that piece of shit catamaran. The owner got in a fight with the harbor master and ended up in jail. I remember it being stuck in the mud for a while. I hear it sank , that's what happens when a crankster comes out of the woods to build a yacht. "

seems like he nailed it.

All this story needs is a midget and a donkey

Fell out of my chair when I read it. My face hurts I'm laughing so hard

like so?

midgetdonkey.jpg?width=737&height=491

the taller one is an old co worker of mine, and a friend, so be nice.

Sparau, that was a 1000 "gallons" of epoxy. I actually talked to HR on the phone and was given this fact which I reported here. It was long ago and far away in another life where men were men and women were not men.

I can't get the concept of the 7-month pregnant navigator wife out of my head. Did they think she would be better at dead reckoning with all those hormonal changes? Maybe she was the one who owned the GPS. WTF?

Imagine that the "smart one" got tapped for navigator.

And that she had the ability - unlike some other drifters we know of - to correlate the displayed lat and long from a gps to a position on a chart.

Now - imagine the horror that the reality of the developing situation must have instilled in a seven months pregnant woman.

And it's probably even worse. Given the FH had no foils in the water, it likely lacked all directional stability. Remember, the FH was built to mimic the image of a boat, but only from the waterline up.

It was likely just spinning around - completely at the mercy of wind and wave.

No fun at all.

Thing is, where is HR now? I mean did he sell everything for this boat and trip? Since he had the harleysaki on the boat I wonder if this was "it" for him. Did he sell his truck?

His boat sank. Does he have anything left?

Is he now (more) homeless?

Was there a backup plan?

So many questions...

soak_ed, your essays are unreadable . Brevity is better.

Sorry, I forgot this is the age of short attention spans. If you can't say it in 144 characters or less, it isn't worth saying right?

I offer solid advice and you respond by getting lippy.

Carry on.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Don't like brevity. Like to support opinions with facts. Much to say. Will try harder.

What interests me is what we don't know - which is almost everything.

We do know that the FH was abandoned after five days adrift and five rescued. We do not know if the thing sank or remains afloat. (imho it will arrive in Samoa in the form of a loose flotilla of bits in four months or so)

We do not know who the five are, not whether HR, the Viking and Mum are amongst them.

There is nothing more than the weakest circumstantial evidence to suggest that a KKK - bred man hater with genetic marmalade for chromosomes was there either.

We don't know why anyone styling themselves "first mate" - which implies a certain level of experience - would accept such a position on an ocean voyage under the "authority" of a "captain" as devoid of knowledge as HR - unless he knew even less.

Nor why anyone would go to sea in such an unsailable death-trap without seeing the problems (no working rig, one rutter, one asymmetric outboard) and not knowing the thing's history.

Unless they knew four fifths of five eights of fuck-all about things that float.

Nor why any woman 7 mths pregnant would get on a voyage that could easily last month.

I kind of agree about the FH being a darwin-catcher and the CG rinsed the filter back into the oggin.

Well there are known unknowns and there unknown unknowns, all we know is that those things are unknown.......

Possibility the FH was boat jacked and HR and the like were forced off?? The then barge robers headed out, realizing only too late how bad the "Big Boat" they just stole was a giant POS???

"Fauly beams"

attachicon.gifflyin hawaiian.jpg

This photo was taken Jan 11 -- Hot and Mrs. Rod enjoying the good life on the back porch in Sausalito

Again. Oronoco's photo from Jan. 11 on page 112 shows the FH in prep mode for the trip. Rutters down. Dinghy nicely stowed. I believe it is highly unlikely that it was stolen. I think Rod gathered up a crew of willing souls and shoved off.

Speculation that he only had one rutter before they left is nonsense. Go back to page 6 or so and see how they were attached. Plenty of room on the outside of the transoms to add a motor mount.

(God it's hard to type "rutter"!)

And we don't know why there were chains onboard. The first mate said they tried to chain the hulls together. Other than a few feet of anchor chain, do any of you guys carry chain on your boat? Okay, bad analogy... How many of you have chain in your garage? Or in your RV? If you had a 60 foot barge, would you have chain onboard? Only thing I can think is that Guy forgot to take it when he left.

And we don't know why there were chains onboard. The first mate said they tried to chain the hulls together. Other than a few feet of anchor chain, do any of you guys carry chain on your boat? Okay, bad analogy... How many of you have chain in your garage? Or in your RV? If you had a 60 foot barge, would you have chain onboard? Only thing I can think is that Guy forgot to take it when he left.

It was the Harleysaki's drive chain. Give HR credit for -some- mechanical ability!

Well there are known unknowns and there unknown unknowns, all we know is that those things are unknown.......

Possibility the FH was boat jacked and HR and the like were forced off?? The then barge robers headed out, realizing only too late how bad the "Big Boat" they just stole was a giant POS???

Now -THAT- a truly fuckin' hysterical concept. Picture two lowlifes, tired of being on the short end of the stick, looking out over all the fine yachts at Richardson Bay and thinking about how to fast-track themselves into the good life. Steal a yacht and take off! Big boats all have lots of food, right? They probably figured a yacht the size of FH might even have a chef.

"OK, I think we just untie this rope up at the front here, and steer under that big bridge"

"Shee-it, we gonna live large from now on!"

Not sure why a petty crook would bring along a wife/preggers GF but hey, shit happens. The story as it appears now is so weird that no possible fiction could be less credible.

FB- Doug

If it was Rod and it looks like it was, who took that thing out past the gate. Then it kinda changes everything we gave him credit for ( OK not much ). I thought all along that he was just going to park it somewhere in the area and jokes on us for ever having ridden him so hard about wanting to go to Hawaii. The idea of building that thing with the intention of actually going out in open water was just so far fetched that it was easy to believe it was just some kinda joke.

Apparently not. He actually did believe that thing would be able to make the crossing and he believed it enough to actually con a few layabouts into believing it with him. Wow, and all this time I thought he'd played us all and was just building a barge to live on.

The level of hubris is astounding

So by now I'd think there were a few interviews with he survivors, somewhere in the sailing community news. Given all the publicity good or bad ( OK mostly bad ) if I were a reporter type I'd be all over it. Surely one of them would be willing to give an account.

Hmmmmm time to do another search for any articles that might pop up

We do know that the FH was abandoned after five days adrift and five rescued. We do not know if the thing sank or remains afloat. (imho it will arrive in Samoa in the form of a loose flotilla of bits in four months or so)

We do not know who the five are, not whether HR, the Viking and Mum are amongst them.

There is nothing more than the weakest circumstantial evidence to suggest that a KKK - bred man hater with genetic marmalade for chromosomes was there either.

We don't know why anyone styling themselves "first mate" - which implies a certain level of experience - would accept such a position on an ocean voyage under the "authority" of a "captain" as devoid of knowledge as HR - unless he knew even less.

Nor why anyone would go to sea in such an unsailable death-trap without seeing the problems (no working rig, one rutter, one asymmetric outboard) and not knowing the thing's history.

Unless they knew four fifths of five eights of fuck-all about things that float.

Nor why any woman 7 mths pregnant would get on a voyage that could easily last month.

I kind of agree about the FH being a darwin-catcher and the CG rinsed the filter back into the oggin.

We also don't know if the voyage was intentional. It could have come loose from its moorings in a big nighttime ebb while unknowing partiers slept it off.

The replica would be seaworthy...

Why doesn't someone with a boat in San Francisco or Santa Cruz volunteer to take a cohort of Anarchists out to search for the remains of the Flyin Asswipe? Be sure to take some good photos and board the bastard if you can just to inspect how bad of shape it's in. Hell, maybe Scooter could pony up to hire MadMax to fly some reconnaissance missions. Think of the ROI from all the extra traffic from getting that scoop!

And we don't know why there were chains onboard. The first mate said they tried to chain the hulls together.

Hot Rod himself has stated a weird non-understanding of metal. I believe his knowledge of strength of materials doesn't not go much past rock/paper/scissors, or in the Flyin' Hawaiian's case, wood/epoxy/steel.

• When questioned about the strength of his crappy CDX plywwod he commented that he wasn't worried; he coated everything with epoxy.
  • When questioned about the boat holding up under repeated beach launching he commented that he wasn't worried; he use chromed steel diamondplate on the bows.
  • When questioned about his undersized rudders he commented that he wasn't worried; they were made out of metal.
  • When questioned about his undersized pintles and gudgions he commend that he wasn't worried; they were made out of metal.
  • When questioned about the crossbeam-to-hull attachment he commend that he wasn't worried; he used several Home Depot-grade 1/2" galvanized carriage bolts. Metal!

If you were an idiot with zero materials knowledge and no budget to speak of and zero experience at sea, what repair materials would you bring along for your move to Hawaii? Answer: Chain! It's metal! It's stronger than wood! It has the added benefit of being flexible and can conform to any shape as needed. I don't think he differentiates between the various grades of stainless steel and Chinese pot metal. It's metal! He can't bite through it! Strong!

Okay, what's the point of this? After 3:13 I gave up on it...

No point.

San Francisco ceased being culturally relevant several decades ago.

First, it became a parody of its former unique charm.

Later, it became a parody of that parody, throwing out any connection to anything but its self-referential self.

At this stage in its evolution, it's pretty much just an adult Disneyland, very slightly skewed towards kinky.

If it was Rod and it looks like it was, who took that thing out past the gate. Then it kinda changes everything we gave him credit for ( OK not much ). I thought all along that he was just going to park it somewhere in the area and jokes on us for ever having ridden him so hard about wanting to go to Hawaii. The idea of building that thing with the intention of actually going out in open water was just so far fetched that it was easy to believe it was just some kinda joke.

Apparently not. He actually did believe that thing would be able to make the crossing and he believed it enough to actually con a few layabouts into believing it with him. Wow, and all this time I thought he'd played us all and was just building a barge to live on.

So by now I'd think there were a few interviews with he survivors, somewhere in the sailing community news. Given all the publicity good or bad ( OK mostly bad ) if I were a reporter type I'd be all over it. Surely one of them would be willing to give an account.

HR and his troupe should drum it up. Have they got a story to tell!

Holy shit - if at least one of them can be harnessed into a semi-articulate spokes(person) role. This story could go all the way.

Look it up, but in terms of investment return on the dollar - no Hollywood production can touch "Pink Flamingos*.

Something along the lines of: "Cretins Ascendent - Mayhem in the Pacific"!

We also don't know if the voyage was intentional. It could have come loose from its moorings in a big nighttime ebb while unknowing partiers slept it off.
An angle worth pursuing.

"After a blood filled night of feasting on human flesh and unhibited orgy - the 'vampire outcasts' (as they were known along the waterfront) - slowly regained consciousness, and realized - to their horror - no land was in sight"!

HR and his troupe should drum it up. Have they got a story to tell!

Holy shit - if at least one of them can be harnessed into a semi-articulate spokes(person) role. This story could go all the way.

Look it up, but in terms of investment return on the dollar - no Hollywood production can touch "Pink Flamingos*.

Something along the lines of: "Cretins Ascendent - Mayhem in the Pacific"!

Rods probably still in shock and wondering what went wrong, even if it is screamingly obvious to everyone else. But if someone on that heap can put aside their issues long enough to grasp the big picture. This is really one of the best sailing fiasco's ever. That alone is worth something.

Filmed as a comedy, this could be worth a small fortune. All he's got to do is wake up and smell the possibilities. I see cult film possibilities particularly and obviously in the sailing communities. Be a whole new twist on Captain Ron

If you used the reported hundreds of litres of epoxy in the paper mache I would imagine you would have a far stronger hull. West system paper mache?

Sorry, NO CARDBOARD DERIVATIVES !

No point.

Later, it became a parody of that parody, throwing out any connection to anything but its self-referential self.

At this stage in its evolution, it's pretty much just an adult Disneyland, very slightly skewed towards kinky.

That's so true. A lot of people move here with the mistaken impression that SF is a beautiful city, spectacularly situated with georgous views of the surrounding headlands and San Francicso Bay (itself a natural wonder).

They mistakenly think the local food culture offers some of the best cuisine in the West - with a thriving wine country nearby.

Spectacular unspoiled coastline and forests, right next door. Not to mention a region with history, established museums, and a fine heritage of residential architecture.

None of that's here folks! If you want that - head to Orange County CA - the Athens of the Pacific!

I understand the danger but it would be a blast..

Imagine, navigating by a hand compass and world atlas, never knowing the port, or country you are pulling into. Running around plugging holes and adding supports.

On the plus side, it would be a great conversation starter, you wouldn't have to worry about pirates or people trying to steal your boat, every day would be an adventure and you are sure to end your trip with a helicopter ride.

Seriously though,, if sanity was introduced, say,, two tons of fiberglass and a ton of aluminum in the right places,, would it be possible to build it into a decent ship for 200,000 grand

As ridicules as a 30 G 3200 Sq Ft cat is, a 10 Mil 3200 Sq Ft cat is the same.

Is there a middle ground??

Looks like we had a winner right here.

Postpast nailed it in Nov 2011.

Freakin Nostradamus

From the dealings we had with HR when he was posting I think this was more of a 'Fuck y'all, I will learn ya' departure rather than any belief that he could actually sail that widow maker to the sandwich islands. Rod doesn't think that far ahead. So he rounded up a crew of acolytes even more ignorant than his good self and shoved off...err..undid the knot. He was no doubt telling them ' I will show them armchair salers on that saleing anicky place. They will be shitin' thumselves when they see me coolin may heals in Haw-wa-he.'

'After all I am a master craftsman, meteorologist, pilot and engineer, and I can go regular army at a moments notice'.

This was Rod's ' hold my beer and watch this' moment.

No point.

That's so true. A lot of people move here with the mistaken impression that SF is a beautiful city, spectacularly situated with georgous views of the surrounding headlands and San Francicso Bay (itself a natural wonder).

They mistakenly think the local food culture offers some of the best cuisine in the West - with a thriving wine country nearby.

Spectacular unspoiled coastline and forests, right next door. Not to mention a region with history, established museums, and a fine heritage of residential architecture.

None of that's here folks! If you want that - head to Orange County CA - the Athens of the Pacific!

Hey don't knock our southern cousins, there's the County of Orange Museum of Art, it's ground zero for the current measles epidemic caused by those deep thinkers that refused to vaccinate their offspring, not to mention it's the birthplace of our 37th president, and I would venture that it's a place that Hotrod never lived.

From the dealings we had with HR when he was posting I think this was more of a 'Fuck y'all, I will learn ya' departure rather than any belief that he could actually sail that widow maker to the sandwich islands. Rod doesn't think that far ahead. So he rounded up a crew of acolytes even more ignorant than his good self and shoved off...err..undid the knot. He was no doubt telling them ' I will show them armchair salers on that saleing anicky place. They will be shitin' thumselves when they see me coolin may heals in Haw-wa-he.'

'After all I am a master craftsman, meteorologist, pilot and engineer, and I can go regular army at a moments notice'.

For those who don't care to read the entire 119 page, 11,839 post thread, I think LB 15's Cliff Notes version summed it up in one sentence quite nicely.

For those who don't care to read the entire 119 page, 11,839 post thread, I think LB 15's Cliff Notes version summed it up in one sentence quite nicely.

Soak_ed,

How did your shark avatar grow boobs in it's mouth?

No way rod is gonna fess up no matter how much $$ you throw his way. The boat was sound, hermaphrodite (SP) was spouting crap about chains... We hit a wale, there was a rogue wave, Viking forgot to put the plug in, hit a container, Hit Jap house floating at midnight doing 8 kts, full sail, bone in her teeth...... I tried to get her home to sosolito (SP) but could not hold her together with incompetent crew.. Etc ETc ETC.....

No way rod is gonna fess up no matter how much $$ you throw his way. The boat was sound, hermaphrodite (SP) was spouting crap about chains... We hit a wale, there was a rogue wave, Viking forgot to put the plug in, hit a container, Hit Jap house floating at midnight doing 8 kts, full sail, bone in her teeth...... I tried to get her home to sosolito (SP) but could not hold her together with incompetent crew.. Etc ETc ETC.....

Aliens. Same species that took MH370.

You guys have it all wrong, the rescue was faked, there is only one reasonable explanation for any of this... HR has developed a warped drive, powered by Harlisaki, and fueled with the contents of his holding tank and right now, he's sitting on the beach in a lawn chair with a tropical drink in his hand on the island of ...you guessed it...

Diego Fucking Garcia!!!

Never caught the news report but yesterday morning 740 AM news in the Bay Area they made an interesting comment. Went something like this. "We have looked into the story of the interesting characters rescued off the coast of CA and will be doing an indepth report on the story" Perhaps someone over there is a sailor and did some digging and is going to have an interesting news report regarding the HR saga? I recall several folks suggesting that the USCG require a rescue deposit paid and held till they exited US waters to cover rescue costs.. We all knew what would happen..

I have been avoiding this thread for years and I am finally here. I hope the catch up will be worth it.

right there with ya. its been a tough journey .

Too much for Lou to Reed butt lucky four you they made a Movie four you to watch

wanna sea it - here it goes (NTTIATWWT)

This whole saga ended (so far) in a Whoreable Wreck Soooo Awful that no one could be ID'ed

As being This or That

Or Why