65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

don't bother looking for the black box. it hasn't been pumped out for ages, and the drywall screws would have let go by now. Is the wreck still upcurrent from japan ? If so, sayonara sushi..

Personally, Im waiting for hotrods bidet paper towelettes to wash up on a beach somewhere. That beach you know is safe from sharks to surf at, unless of course you have a thing about floating pollywaffles going past your plywood surfboard.... . No shortage of plywood there either. What a mess you have left Hotrod Papasan. What you built was wong in so many weighs.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

Maybe I missed it... Maybe it hasn't been posted... MAYBE it never happened???

I still can't find ANY links to a USCG SAR on something called "Flyin' Hawaiian", "Lane's Limping Loser", "HotRod's Harikiri Houseboat" nor nuttin'.

I'm confused.

My guess the tiko straps holding the cross beams to the hulls with drywall screws could support the 1000 gallon holding tank and massive crew weight on the ten piece couch in the 3200 sqft of heavy living space built on 2 x4s combine that together with rigging stresses n it just imploded

One would consider the FH to be lashed together perhaps Not properly But Securely

Considering all the combined years experience the hired crew had in the field of

Bondage :o:o:o:o

Guess the Chains were Ironically the Week-link ;)

One of my x girlfriends used to be a dominatrix before I met her... and she knew her ropes.. poor Hot Rod must of used Slipknots or forgot his "safety word"...as in."Stay in the Bay"post-67665-0-54228700-1426242612_thumb.png or get whipped by the sea

You found lil Murray! Judging by the baggage on the bike in the background, it looks as though this bike is designed to be operated standing up, steering over the top of a bunch of bananas resting on the fuel tank..

Designed after studying 10,000 bikes like the one in the background. The inspiration must have come from the red arrow and the quick e mart in the background that allowed it to be built in their carpark.

And the Coast Guard says...

Accident? What accident... We don't know about any accidents...

Okay, to be fair, this is the initial response from the first office. I'm still expecting other responses. But, for what its worth (absolutely nothing - but I promised to post responses to my FOIA request) - here it is:

Good afternoon Mr. Archer,

I represent one of the offices at the Coast Guard that received your FOIA request given by Coast Guard ID 15-0900.

As staff of the Office of Auxiliary and Boating Safety, I was able to search the Office's Boating Accident Report Database (BARD), which is composed of recreational boat accidents submitted by State marine agencies. Today, I completed two searches and found no responsive records. 1) I searched for any accident occurring in California between the dates of 1/25/15 to 2/5/15. There were no accidents in BARD for 2/1, and all others during this time period did not occur in Monterey County. 2) I searched for the Flying Hawaiian's number (606236) in any California accident, and found no responsive records.

It is possible that the California Division of Boating and Waterways has a record that they haven't submitted yet into BARD. If you would like to contact them directly, please contact Ms. Johanna Naughton, California Department of Parks and Recreation, Division of Boating and Waterways, One Capitol Mall, Suite 500, Sacramento, CA 95814, Phone: (916) 327-1826, [email protected]

While an adequate search was conducted, you have the right to appeal this determination that no records exist within the Office of Auxiliary and Boating Safety that would be responsive to your request. Should you wish to do so, you must send your appeal and a copy of this letter, within 60 days of the date of this email, to: COMMANDANT (CG-611), U.S. COAST GUARD, ATTN: FOIA/PA OFFICER, 2703 MARTIN LUTHER KING JR AVE SE STOP 7101, WASHINGTON, DC 20593-7101. Following the procedures outlined in the DHS FOIA regulations at 6 C.F.R. § 5.9. Your envelope and letter should be marked “FOIA Appeal.” Copies of the FOIA and DHS regulations are available at www.dhs.gov/foia.

As noted in my earlier email, I represent just one of the offices at the Coast Guard that received your FOIA request. If you haven’t already, you should hear from another office separately.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Your FOIA to this Office is now considered closed.

Okay, to be fair, this is the initial response from the first office. I'm still expecting other responses. But, for what its worth (absolutely nothing - but I promised to post responses to my FOIA request) - here it is:

I represent one of the offices at the Coast Guard that received your FOIA request given by Coast Guard ID 15-0900.

As staff of the Office of Auxiliary and Boating Safety, I was able to search the Office's Boating Accident Report Database (BARD), which is composed of recreational boat accidents submitted by State marine agencies. Today, I completed two searches and found no responsive records. 1) I searched for any accident occurring in California between the dates of 1/25/15 to 2/5/15. There were no accidents in BARD for 2/1, and all others during this time period did not occur in Monterey County. 2) I searched for the Flying Hawaiian's number (606236) in any California accident, and found no responsive records.

It is possible that the California Division of Boating and Waterways has a record that they haven't submitted yet into BARD. If you would like to contact them directly, please contact Ms. Johanna Naughton, California Department of Parks and Recreation, Division of Boating and Waterways, One Capitol Mall, Suite 500, Sacramento, CA 95814, Phone: (916) 327-1826, [email protected]

While an adequate search was conducted, you have the right to appeal this determination that no records exist within the Office of Auxiliary and Boating Safety that would be responsive to your request. Should you wish to do so, you must send your appeal and a copy of this letter, within 60 days of the date of this email, to: COMMANDANT (CG-611), U.S. COAST GUARD, ATTN: FOIA/PA OFFICER, 2703 MARTIN LUTHER KING JR AVE SE STOP 7101, WASHINGTON, DC 20593-7101. Following the procedures outlined in the DHS FOIA regulations at 6 C.F.R. § 5.9. Your envelope and letter should be marked “FOIA Appeal.” Copies of the FOIA and DHS regulations are available at www.dhs.gov/foia.

As noted in my earlier email, I represent just one of the offices at the Coast Guard that received your FOIA request. If you haven’t already, you should hear from another office separately.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Your FOIA to this Office is now considered closed.

I knew it, Diego Fucking Garcia. :ph34r:

Nice of you to pursue this for us.

I bet they want you to wait for the others which I also bet are at least 60 days behind.

Nice of you to pursue this for us.

I bet they want you to wait for the others which I also bet are at least 60 days behind.

That's the state registry, it was the US Coast Guard who did the rescue. Am I missing something here?

That's the state registry, it was the US Coast Guard who did the rescue. Am I missing something here?

No, given how far offshore it was the state probably had absolutely no part in this at all. I think we'll get some info soon.

Thanks.. I was hoping that there would be some response soon... If this is just an office that is searching state records then... there is hope, as I believe the official USCG assets were used for the rescue.

OK but didn't we get an initial report from the CG that they did a rescue off a boat call the Flyin' Hawaiian???

Yes, and they posted the rescue video on their site. The state has nothing to do with it because it's outside their jurisdiction, being on the high seas and all.

Any answers are going to have to come from them, or from the crew inhabitants of the FH.

Jarcher and SandCrab, thanks for the information! I have tried several times to google something referring to the sinking/rescue/immaculate flotation of the FH, but without success.

Until today.

Suddenly, googling "flyin' hawaiian catamaran" give me a plethora of links, sites, news feeds, a place to see the USCG rescue footage, to I think that either I've been spelling it wrong or I just managed to squeeze back thru the discontinuity into this universe again.

Whatever... Thanks for the help and the ring-bouy.

Damn. That stupid sonuvabuitch actually DID try to go to sea in that POS.

I are flaggerbasted.

I'm even more impressed by 12,221 posts.

If you take the amount of time spent in posting/reading about this debacle, add in the cost of materials for the FH, divide by the number of successful tripe out of the bay and then allow to sit for a week, we could have built a pretty successful dinghy and still had enough left over to buy a nice old Schwinn.

May we have a moment o silence for Lil'Murray?

Frayed, that's why we were hoping Jarcher's FOI request turns up something better that that vid. We want to see the carnage.

Frankly, I'm hoping to find out if Lane himself was actually onboard. Other than the pregnant hermaphrodite, we really have no idea who was onboard and I would not put it past Lane to have sent people off by themselves in that deathtrap.

Yup, the rescue was January

Somebody is trying to tease out some info ...

flyin_hawaiian_CG_footage.png

Good try but that answer seems a bit, ummm, fractal. Apples and their distance from trees?

So many sock puppets and so little time

Not even a Mother would admit to knowing the Bearded Ummmm lady

Wonder if the last crew had time to take down all the GoPro before being lifted off

No Way that All those involved in the rescue thought not to get the FH on camera

I would imagine the first thing would be to document the situation before and during - Just in case !

Good try but that answer seems a bit, ummm, fractal. Apples and their distance from trees?

Then please, find a closer contact.

I'm not saying it wasn't a good track. I was commenting on the non-answer to the questions.

They called the boat the Flying Hawaiin. Maybe that's the problem.

I think the actual listing on the USCG documentation of the "vessel" was

FLYIN HAWAIIAN

Try asking about the FLOATSAM HAWAIIAN !! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

RE: FOI request probable outcome -

"Your request for information about the allegedly massive homebuilt vessel that was built and launched under our noses and then lingered nearby for over a year before requiring an expensive and potentially dangerous rescue ? all while we patrol the bay with armed speedboats to 'protect' the homeland ? "

"Yeah, we don't seem to recall any of that at all. Thank you for asking"

• 2 weeks later...

All the lovely video and reports to gloat over are out there, it's just than no-one seems to be able to spell the name of the damn boat right. The CG could have filed it as Flyin Hawaiian, Flyin' Hawaiian or Flying Hawaiian, and as FOI requests are such a faff to fulfil they'll never admit which it was. I can't even remember how it was originally registered.

All the lovely video and reports to gloat over are out there, it's just than no-one seems to be able to spell the name of the damn boat right. The CG could have filed it as Flyin Hawaiian, Flyin' Hawaiian or Flying Hawaiian, and as FOI requests are such a faff to fulfil they'll never admit which it was. I can't even remember how it was originally registered.

Shirley somebody with too much time on their hands could go back through the thread and find a photo of the name on the boat?

Don't look at me, tho...

^^^^^ Failing, Flailing, Floating Flatulating, FugginUgly, Florida - Hawaiian ......... Yes That's it !!! B)

Shirley somebody with too much time on their hands could go back through the thread and find a photo of the name on the boat?

Don't look at me, tho...

From the USCG database:

Vessel Name: FLYIN HAWAIIAN USCG Doc. No.: 1234524 Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: * Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: * Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: * Ship Builder: JAMES LANE Year Built: 2011 Length (ft.): 65 Hailing Port: LAHAINA HI Hull Depth (ft.): 8 Owner: Hull Breadth (ft.): 32 Gross Tonnage: 55 Net Tonnage: 44 Documentation Issuance Date: December 01, 2011 Documentation Expiration Date: * Previous Vessel Names: No Vessel Name Changes Previous Vessel Owners: JAMES LANE

Don't look at me, tho...

From the USCG database:

Vessel Name: FLYIN HAWAIIAN USCG Doc. No.: 1234524 Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: * Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: * Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: * Ship Builder: JAMES LANE Year Built: 2011 Length (ft.): 65 Hailing Port: LAHAINA HI Hull Depth (ft.): 8 Owner: Hull Breadth (ft.): 32 Gross Tonnage: 55 Net Tonnage: 44 Documentation Issuance Date: December 01, 2011 Documentation Expiration Date: * Previous Vessel Names: No Vessel Name Changes Previous Vessel Owners: JAMES LANE

click refresh and check the Hull Depth again ;)

Don't look at me, tho...

From the USCG database: Vessel Name: FLYIN HAWAIIAN USCG Doc. No.: 1234524 Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: * Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: * Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: * Ship Builder: JAMES LANE Year Built: 2011 Length (ft.): 65 Hailing Port: LAHAINA HI Hull Depth (ft.): 8 Owner: Hull Breadth (ft.): 32 Gross Tonnage: 55 Net Tonnage: 44 Documentation Issuance Date: December 01, 2011 Documentation Expiration Date: * Previous Vessel Names: No Vessel Name Changes Previous Vessel Owners: JAMES LANE

Hard to top that one. Lock thread.

Don't look at me, tho...

From the USCG database:

I did and it's 8 feet in the database. Could the rutters have been immersed to 8 feet depth? More interesting is the boat is still listed as "In Service". Possibly the CG does not update until the annual recert letter is responded to by the owner, for the FH, that's by December 1st of each year.

Don't look at me, tho...

From the USCG database:

I did and it's 8 feet in the database. Could the rutters have been immersed to 8 feet depth? More interesting is the boat is still listed as "In Service". Possibly the CG does not update until the annual recert letter is responded to by the owner, for the FH, that's by December 1st of each year.

What's that hull material again? I'm not quite sure that an adequate acronym exists...

From the USCG database:

What's that hull material again? I'm not quite sure that an adequate acronym exists...

FRP? Fir Reinforced Plywood.