65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not much toiling going on in that vineyard................

FB- Doug

It's part of the experiment. I just let nature take its course in that little area.

But I guess that excuse is pretty much over and I have to go remove the wreckage and tame the vine at last.

Save the vine!! Long live the vine! Where's your EIR, you vine killer? You can't just go around indiscriminately hacking down living organisms.

(That vine looks unnaturally healthy. Have you been sharing your buttery ashes with it?)

1 hour ago, casc27 said:

Save the vine!! Long live the vine! Where's your EIR, you vine killer? You can't just go around indiscriminately hacking down living organisms.

(That vine looks unnaturally healthy. Have you been sharing your buttery ashes with it?)

You must be from California

That vine is supposed to grow up one post of my stairs.

It's supposed to stop at the top. It's not supposed to grow into the soffit and onto the roof.

It is not supposed to grow all over the adjacent plants, nor spread from there to the experimental table and the lawn beyond.

It's also not supposed to send tubers under ground and colonize a couple of different trees about 60 feet away.

And it isn't supposed to be sending out the others I haven't yet seen.

I won't kill it. It was one of my father's favorites and will always have a home on that post. And some other places, if I'm busy.

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

That vine is supposed to grow up one post of my stairs.

It's supposed to stop at the top. It's not supposed to grow into the soffit and onto the roof.

It is not supposed to grow all over the adjacent plants, nor spread from there to the experimental table and the lawn beyond.

It's also not supposed to send tubers under ground and colonize a couple of different trees about 60 feet away.

And it isn't supposed to be sending out the others I haven't yet seen.

I won't kill it. It was one of my father's favorites and will always have a home on that post. And some other places, if I'm busy.

The vine has free will. It will grow where it chooses. The vine rejects your authoritarian regime and claims that it's growth pattern is protected free expression. Vine lives matter!

24 minutes ago, casc27 said:

The vine has free will. It will grow where it chooses. The vine rejects your authoritarian regime and claims that it's growth pattern is protected free expression. Vine lives matter!

You speak Vine too?

A lot like Weed right?

17 hours ago, AlienBowman said:

Darn.  I was expecting a report on L'il Murray.

Lil Murray is hiding under the vine. Murray was severely traumatized by his encounters on the FH and is still recovering. He needs the protection of the vine for his continued emotional healing. Leave the vine!

19 hours ago, Therapy said:

You speak Vine too?

A lot like Weed right?

You'll have to tell me, if you can manage to learn vine. Corn is much more apprehensible, straight to the point language. Vine wanders all over the place. In any case,  I have too many things to do to waste time indulging in the sport of mind-altering substances. Besides, what you are suggesting would likely entail murdering said weed plants. Oh, the horror! So many plant murderers...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, AlienBowman said:

Darn.  I was expecting a report on L'il Murray.

weren't traces of He/ she/ them/ it discovered on that recent dogs and chicks drift fiasco?

Coast Guard Helicopter Crews Rescue 5 People From Sinking ...

Video here  https://www.dvidshub.net/video/389708/coast-guard-rescues-5-people-sinking-sail-boat-off-coast-monterey?fb_comment_id=985774458117981_989636154398478#f29da8bcd6fee44

Coast Guard Rescues 5 People from Sinking Sail Boat off the Coast of Monterey

Play

Mute
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
Remaining Time-1:34
Fullscreen

MONTEREY BAY, CA, UNITED STATES

Video by Petty Officer 3rd Class Adam Stanton 

U.S. Coast Guard District 11  

ALAMEDA, Calif. - The Coast Guard rescued five people from a sinking 65-foot sailing vessel approximately 120 miles off the Monterey coast Jan. 31, 2015. U.S. Coast Guard video.

LEAVE A COMMENT

VIDEO INFO

Date Taken: 01.31.2015
Date Posted: 02.02.2015 17:34
Category: B-Roll
Video ID: 389708
VIRIN: 150131-G-XX113-001
Filename: DOD_102211949
Length: 00:02:13

Web Views: 2,414
Downloads: 13
High-Res. Downloads: 13
Podcast Hits: 0

PUBLIC DOMAIN   public_domain_logo.png

This work, Coast Guard Rescues 5 People from Sinking Sail Boat off the Coast of Monterey, by PO2 Adam Stanton, identified by DVIDS, must comply with the restrictions shown on https://www.dvidshub.net/about/copyright.

On 12/22/2017 at 11:55 AM, Oronoco said:

Yes, he lives in Hilo

I've kept in loose contact with HotRod since the loss of Flyin' Hawaiian. He lost the boat, of course, and the motorcycle. Everyone was successfully rescued and a healthy and beautiful baby was born a few months later to the pregnant woman who was aboard and rescued. Hotrod was pretty humbled by the whole Flyin' Hawaiian incident and I would say he came out the other end an improved man.

James has established himself in Hilo and seems relaxed, content, and fairly successful. He has continued work on the hot rod coupe (not sure, but maybe a '33 Ford?) and the work is clean and attractive. His daily ride is a very clean '80s Mercedes S-class -- one of the desirable W126 chassis builds.

Well good for him. Since you're in contact with him, perhaps you could ask what his plans are to make amends for the trauma he put those people through by risking their lives, and what his plans are to reimburse the taxpayers for the dramatic rescue the USCG pulled off, at, I should add, some risk to themselves. 

• Downvote 2
27 minutes ago, jarcher said:

Well good for him. Since you're in contact with him, perhaps you could ask what his plans are to make amends for the trauma he put those people through by risking their lives, and what his plans are to reimburse the taxpayers for the dramatic rescue the USCG pulled off, at, I should add, some risk to themselves. 

The paying for rescue thing has been beaten to death.   The status quo isn't going to change anytime soon.  Do you think the rescue helo is going to drop a survey to see if the folks in distress deserve rescuing?  Are you going to put people in prison if they can't pay up?  There are far bigger fish to fry than that non-issue.

I worked in the trauma room at Brooke Army Medical center at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas.  We treated a lot of civilian trauma cases because it provided valuable training for Army doctors, particularly treating gunshot wounds.   Many of the individuals treated were uninsured and unable to pay for the care.  The Army considered it a bargain.  I imagine the Coast Guard feels the same way.  They can burn money on practice or they can get real world training, which is much better. 

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Somebody Else said:

Looks like he's moving back to the mainland soon.

You sayin he's started building a delivery Cat for the ride up hill using all he learned heading that way :o

On 07/01/2018 at 6:42 PM, jarcher said:

At sea you owe people in distress rescue as long as you don't endanger your own crew. 

During the world wars ennemy ships were even saving foes. We don't need the bean counters to put an end to this "Good Samaritan" tradition. One day you might be the poor sod who needs assistance. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

At sea you owe people in distress rescue as long as you don't endanger your own crew. 

During the world wars ennemy ships were even saving foes. We don't need the bean counters to put an end to this "Good Samaritan" tradition. One day you might be the poor sod who needs assistance. 

Yeah yah yah I understand and support all that. Don't try to paint me with that brush. The issue here is that he absolutely knew or should have known that his barge was not seaworthy and yet he deliberately set off with exactly the results everyone predicted. Anyone can find themselves in trouble through no fault of their own, and people can even find themselves in trouble due to a foolish error. I get that. This was years of stupidity, during which he was repeatedly offered kind advice and assistance that he refused. He was warned over and over again what would happen if he took that monstrosity past the gate. Yet he still did it, putting lives in jeopardy. His barge, his responsibility. If someone had lost their life he could have been criminally charged. The rescuers were of course right to pull them out, and should have done so as they did, but Hot Rod never, ever should have put anyone in that position. 

1 hour ago, jarcher said:
2 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Yeah yah yah I understand and support all that. Don't try to paint me with that brush. The issue here is that he absolutely knew or should have known that his barge was not seaworthy and yet he deliberately set off with exactly the results everyone predicted. Anyone can find themselves in trouble through no fault of their own, and people can even find themselves in trouble due to a foolish error. I get that. This was years of stupidity, during which he was repeatedly offered kind advice and assistance that he refused. He was warned over and over again what would happen if he took that monstrosity past the gate. Yet he still did it, putting lives in jeopardy. His barge, his responsibility. If someone had lost their life he could have been criminally charged. The rescuers were of course right to pull them out, and should have done so as they did, but Hot Rod never, ever should have put anyone in that position. 

Yes, and I am in the difficult position of agreeing with both.

I am unwilling to grant some officious person the authority to say "this boat is stupidly built and/or you're a dangerously incompetent skipper, and the imperial "we" shall prevent you from going sailing."

You can't outlaw being a dumbass, unfortunately

FB- Doug

28 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I am unwilling to grant some officious person the authority to say "this boat is stupidly built and/or you're a dangerously incompetent skipper, and the imperial "we" shall prevent you from going sailing."

You can't outlaw being a dumbass, unfortunately

FB- Doug

Here you have to show to the authorities that your boat is seaworthy, precisely to avoid unnecessary rescues. That's probably too illiberal for the USA but then you have to accept that dumb people will sail inappropriate boats. It would be terrible if we were to start letting people drown.

Historically to compete in the first Mini Transat (which was starting from Falmouth), you had to break the French law. Boats were leaving France at night to avoid being arrested.

HR should have had to Post a Bond to protect the environment that he had No chance in drifting beyond.

And should have had to sign a "Do Not Rescue" waiver that would apply if he left sheltered water for anyreason intenyional or not

What if people started lashing all their debris together And setsail for Figi fulling intending to sink it offshorr rather than pay dump fees to clear a huge mess somewhere. 

how many times should one be allowed to dump their crapt/crap into the ocean ?

anyone else see round 2 about to begin ???

why do you get a fine for Dumping into the ocean But if you ride the trash offshore first, you can get a free ride back 

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Me too.

Flyin' Hawaiian's rudders and steering hardware were shown to be worse than useless in a flat calm. Going to sea with steering which was repaired only in a visual sense--certainly not a structural sense--was the height of hubris.

On the other hand, USCG and other agencies have continually exhibited their cluelessness about sailboats for 50 years running. e.g. stopping racing boats because crew had their feet outside the lifelines in the conservative hiking position.

2 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

HR should have had to Post a Bond to protect the environment that he had No chance in drifting beyond.

And should have had to sign a "Do Not Rescue" waiver that would apply if he left sheltered water for anyreason intenyional or not

What if people started lashing all their debris together And setsail for Figi fulling intending to sink it offshorr rather than pay dump fees to clear a huge mess somewhere. 

how many times should one be allowed to dump their crapt/crap into the ocean ?

anyone else see round 2 about to begin ???

why do you get a fine for Dumping into the ocean But if you ride the trash offshore first, you can get a free ride back 

An almost sensible post from DA-WOODY? Shoot me now!

"How many times should one be allowed to dump their crap into the ocean ?" I dunno... ask Rimas.

"anyone else see round 2 about to begin ???" James has stated multiple times that he's not about to do any sailing--let alone building sailing craft--ever again. Without explicitly saying it, he has expressed "lesson learned" and frankly, I think he had the shit scared out of him.

6 hours ago, jarcher said:

Hot Rod and his saga including his faithful clan gave us a clear picture of what life has and will become under Trump and his herd of Elk...

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

The pregnant woman was rescued along with the rest of the crew--airlifited to a CG helicopter--and gave birth to a healthy baby and continued with the rest of her life.

as ????

Okay, so I'm somewhat new to this site and for some reason this thread was resurrected and I ended up reading from post one, through a day and a half of thread drift, name calling, disappearances, possible finger amputation and the term "Fractal Mistake". I think that delving into this has been a fractal mistake. I managed to glean the following, but need to know more and am too lazy to read through over a thousand self righteous, indignant, weird, funny and somewhat informative posts:

-HR built a boat beginning in 2011

-You all told him it would sink if he tried to take her offshore

-In 2013, he splashed her

-Some of you pleaded with him to be sensible and don't take her out of protected waters. He engaged some of you, but somehow missed the point

-He dragged anchor in SF bay for nearly two years before actually taking her past the GG

-On Jan. 31st 2015 (page 114) Assmaster reported that HR was rescued by USCG, ship abandoned

-Then it got weird

Here's what I would like to know:

Did HR ever return to answer to this folly? Did Clean get Valery on his podcast? What exactly did transpire in the days leading up to the abandonment, who was aboard and what became of the FH? This info might prevent some other newbie from killing two days reading this shit. Thanks in advance for any replies.

1 hour ago, Sandpipper said:

Okay, so I'm somewhat new to this site and for some reason this thread was resurrected and I ended up reading from post one, through a day and a half of thread drift, name calling, disappearances, possible finger amputation and the term "Fractal Mistake". I think that delving into this has been a fractal mistake. I managed to glean the following, but need to know more and am too lazy to read through over a thousand self righteous, indignant, weird, funny and somewhat informative posts:

-Some of you pleaded with him to be sensible and don't take her out of protected waters. He engaged some of you, but somehow missed the point

-He dragged anchor in SF bay for nearly two years before actually taking her past the GG

-On Jan. 31st 2015 (page 114) Assmaster reported that HR was rescued by USCG, ship abandoned

-Then it got weird

Did HR ever return to answer to this folly? Did Clean get Valery on his podcast? What exactly did transpire in the days leading up to the abandonment, who was aboard and what became of the FH? This info might prevent some other newbie from killing two days reading this shit. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Then??? Not until then??? Wow.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Sandpipper said:

-Then it got weird

Not sure who was on crew, see who was rescued I guess. Hot Rod, lil Murray & the woman at a guess.

Boat broke up, some parts sink, some parts are probably still floating out there. 

Hot Rod didn't really return here but we got updates from friends of friends. 

10 hours ago, madohe said:

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

That's what -I- want to know.

Imprisoned in the bilge of the catamabarge? Cannibalism (it's not just for breakfast)? Walked away in disgust at the slimy pool of sleaze that is Sailing Anarchy? Happily married and living in some midwestern state that begins with a vowel?

I would like to believe in happy endings, and while HotRod's finally gaining enlightenment is nice, there are other major characters in the plot, here

I'm also looking forward to the return of Guy Le Douche

FB- Doug

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Imprisoned in the bilge of the catamabarge? Cannibalism (it's not just for breakfast)? Walked away in disgust at the slimy pool of sleaze that is Sailing Anarchy? Happily married and living in some midwestern state that begins with a vowel?

I would like to believe in happy endings, and while HotRod's finally gaining enlightenment is nice, there are other major characters in the plot, here

FB- Doug

Guy Le Douche is alive and well

Sailing back from the Bermuda AC Mrs Frank was lost overboard approaching the Pan Handel and never seen again

Guy has sent me a post card from every port he has visited

Unfortunately in the language of that country so no idea what he said

except each card had the words RedVines, Americas  Cup &  Bitkoin

each card ends with

Please be my  guest at our compound in Auckland as we Win the Cuppa

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not really. All those others were in supporting roles at best. The Viking is as close as we got to another major character. The crew of the fateful first and last voyage of Flyin' Hawaiian were just random pick-up pirate wanna-be's. That voyage was pretty much a non-event; it went down (pardon the pun) exactly as predicted and no one died. That's as close to a happy ending as possible for this fractal mistake.

40 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:
7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not really. All those others were in supporting roles at best. The Viking is as close as we got to another major character. The crew of the fateful first and last voyage of Flyin' Hawaiian were just random pick-up pirate wanna-be's. That voyage was pretty much a non-event; it went down (pardon the pun) exactly as predicted and no one died. That's as close to a happy ending as possible for this fractal mistake.

Random pick-up pirate wanna-be's true enough, but a pregnant transvestite on a catamabarge should be whole new reality TV show of it's own.

FB- Doug

It was a pregnant intersex person, someone here googled the name and found info about them.

Born that way and swept into HR's circle, maybe doesn't deserve our ridicule for the genetic anomaly. Unless LOLBIRTHDEFECTS is fair game.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dex Sawash said:

It was a pregnant intersex person, someone here googled the name and found info about them.

Born that way and swept into HR's circle, maybe doesn't deserve our ridicule for the genetic anomaly. ...

I had correspondence with his/her mother who brought me up to date on the departure and subsequent rescue and aftermath. It was quite a while ago and I did not keep a record so all I can offer is my faulty memory.

44 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Anyone got the link for the Tin Can thread? Fucked if I can find it anymore.

you must have a job

36 minutes ago, Sandpipper said:

Great. Now I'm on to Tin Can. Fortunately, I read the Esquire blog first, which gives away the ending straight away. So now I'm reading about how prescient all the naysayers were.

Lot's of time on your hands!

20 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

I think "walked away" is the real answer but all the rest are funnier so let's let that one rest.

Guy has never left you, yes? After Mr. Frank & Mr. Hot stopped posting, Guy found everyone else boring as merde. 

Huzzah M'fers!

PS - Mr. Woody, you are wrong about Mrs. Frank. She is currently doing moi here in the alley behind Bungalow 8.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I had correspondence with his/her mother who brought me up to date on the departure and subsequent rescue and aftermath. It was quite a while ago and I did not keep a record so all I can offer is my faulty memory.

No one seemed to be able to get that info from the Coast Guard either.  Wonder why?

2 minutes ago, Therapy said:

No one seemed to be able to get that info from the Coast Guard either.  Wonder why?

I filed several APRA requests with the USCG for all the data they had on this rescue. They didn't deny my request, they simply insisted they could not find it. I gave them app the particulars, and I even pointed them to video from a local news station from one of their own helicopters. They just kept insisting they could not find it. I finally gave up.

3 hours ago, Guy LeDouche said:

Guy has never left you, yes? After Mr. Frank & Mr. Hot stopped posting, Guy found everyone else boring as merde. 

Huzzah M'fers!

PS - Mr. Woody, you are wrong about Mrs. Frank. She is currently doing moi here in the alley behind Bungalow 8.

Fuck I love this place.

• Like 1
On 4/25/2018 at 3:23 PM, jarcher said:

I filed several APRA requests with the USCG for all the data they had on this rescue. They didn't deny my request, they simply insisted they could not find it. I gave them app the particulars, and I even pointed them to video from a local news station from one of their own helicopters. They just kept insisting they could not find it. I finally gave up.

So lilmurray was CIA? It all makes sense now!

• Like 1

More HotRod Elk 

Yet Mucho Smarter having bought a boat that stands a slight chance of drifting to HI for less than HR spent on drywall screws at home depot ;)

Yachtsman drops anchor in Aquatic Park and refuses to leave

By Sam Whiting

Updated 7:41 pm, Friday, March 2, 2018

A member of the Dolphin Club swims near a trimaran that is anchored in the water off Aquatic Park in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, February 26, 2018. For months the trimaran sailboat has been illegally anchored in Aquatic Park by a man identified as Bryan Pennington, who is living aboard.  The Dolphin Club has been trying to get rid of him because he is polluting the bay and interfering with their swimming area.  The Dolphin Club took the matters to the Presidio police, which has jurisdiction and they had a hearing in federal court. Photo: Carlos Avila Gonzalez, The Chronicle
Photo: Carlos Avila Gonzalez, The Chronicle

IMAGE 1 OF 5
A member of the Dolphin Club swims near a trimaran that is anchored in the water off Aquatic Park in San Francisco, Calif., on Monday, February 26, 2018. For months the trimaran sailboat has been illegally ... more

Turns out getting bitten by a seal isn’t the only danger in swimming at Aquatic Park. There’s also a renegade yachtsman to contend with.

For more than 100 nights, Bryan Pennington’s trimaran has been anchored without a permit in the protected cove of San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park. Swimmers say he has created a hazard by putting his boat in the marked lane and fouling the waters with human waste.

“If he was cooperative and would move his boat out further, the impact of the sewage and the obstruction wouldn’t be as great,” said Reuben Hechanova, president of the Dolphin Club, as he sat on the stone bleachers at Aquatic Park watching swimmers maneuver around the boat maybe 50 yards away.

“Seal bites we can deal with. The seal is at least transitory,” Hechanova said. “This person is permanent or at least has been so far. He is in our space, and it is a crime.”

Pennington, 52, who said he is “a world traveler,” and “a disabled American vet who is not wound too tight,” maintains that his boat has as much right to be there as the swimmers and seals.

“The rights of swimmers are not above the rights of mariners,’’ Pennington said when approached in front of the Aquatic Park grandstand, where he keeps a kayak tied to a lamppost when he’s ashore.

The man-made cove next to the historic Hyde Street Pier and protected from the waves by the crumbling Municipal Pier is under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service. So far the standoff has involved the U.S. Park Police, the San Francisco Police marine unit, and the U.S. Coast Guard, which has cited Pennington for seven violations, including a felony for obstructing an attempt to board his vessel.

Aquatic Park Cove is not a marina. There are no facilities for pumping out waste. Rules allow a craft to anchor in the cove for a maximum of five nights in a row or 30 nights total a year. In either case, a permit is required for overnight anchoring. Pennington is allegedly in violation of all three.

Now the dispute has gone to federal court, where Pennington has pleaded not guilty to three counts of violating a permit requirement, each punishable by six months in jail and a $5,000 fine.

Bryan Pennington, who lives aboard the sailboat, says he is a disabled veteran and “the rights of swimmers are not above the rights of mariners.” His dispute over staying has gone to federal court. Photo: Carlos Avila Gonzalez / The Chronicle
Photo: Carlos Avila Gonzalez / The Chronicle

Bryan Pennington, who lives aboard the sailboat, says he is a disabled veteran and “the rights of swimmers are not above the rights of mariners.” His dispute over staying has gone to federal court.

When asked if he has a permit and how long he has been at anchor, Pennington answered, “I cannot divulge. I’m in trial,” before walking off to a nearby Starbucks that he apparently uses as a land base.

The nuisance has been compounded by a series of bites suffered by swimmers in the cove during December and January, and attributed to a marauding seal or sea lion. This has compelled swimmers to stick close to shore to avoid hungry seals. Pennington also sticks close to shore, apparently to reduce the distance on his daily paddles to land.

“If this were in San Francisco waters he would be long gone,” said Supervisor Aaron Peskin, a longtime swimmer and member of the South End Rowing Club. Peskin said club members have been bugging him to do something about Pennington and he, in turn, has been bugging the Park Service to do something about Pennington.

“This has been going on for months,” Peskin said. “Every week passes, and he is still there.”

The next hearing of United States of America vs. Bryan Pennington is March 15, and its implications are broader than just one man on one boat creating a nuisance for some cold-water swimmers.

“If he gets away with it,” said the Dolphin Club’s Hechanova, “there will be a new invasion of squatters anchoring in the cove and polluting the waters.”

Pennington maintains that he is a victim. His story is that he entered San Francisco Bay in September to “sail the three bridges,” Golden Gate, Bay and Richmond-San Rafael. At some point his Searunner 34 trimaran was involved in a collision with the San Francisco Police Department’s marine unit.

Pennington then sailed his damaged vessel into Aquatic Cove, which he calls “the safest harbor you can get,” to wait for the SFPD to repair his boat. But the police report states that the marine unit had come to the aid of Pennington when his anchor became entangled, and there was only minor damage to a railing on his boat.

He dropped anchor Sept. 26, according to court records, and has been in the cove off and on ever since, for a total of 119 nights and counting, according to a letter of complaint filed Feb. 20 by Morgan Smith, acting superintendent for the maritime park. He has not left the cove for at least 70 days to pump out his sewage tank, according to the complaint.

King Sip, a member of the Dolphin Club, walks toward the water for a swim at Aquatic Park where a trimaran sailboat has been illegally anchored for months. Photo: Carlos Avila Gonzalez, The Chronicle
Photo: Carlos Avila Gonzalez, The Chronicle

King Sip, a member of the Dolphin Club, walks toward the water for a swim at Aquatic Park where a trimaran sailboat has been illegally anchored for months.

The Searunner 34 is built to sleep five and Pennington said he is comfortable and warm and can even build fires on board. His trimaran is easy to spot. It is the one with “Move The Boat” on its hull above the water line — graffiti Pennington maintains was scrawled by swimming club members. He also maintains they took his dinghy, forcing him to rely on a blue plastic kayak to reach shore. He wants his property back, his boat repaired and the graffiti removed.

“I’m not getting out of here until they fix my yacht,” he said. “Period.”

It’s not the first time Pennington has had trouble in harbor.

An earlier altercation in Santa Barbara involved harbor patrol officers, who tried to stop Pennington for questioning about trespassing on a dock.

“Defendant then stepped back, assumed a martial arts stance, forcefully kicked officer (Richard) Hubbard’s thigh, kicked Officer (Ryan) Kelly’s shin and began to throw wild punches,” reads the court record. “Pennington had to be restrained with a taser and handcuffs.”

Pennington was convicted of misdemeanor battery on a peace officer. But he appealed on the grounds that harbor patrol officers were not peace officers. His conviction was upheld on appeal but overturned by the state Supreme Court on the grounds that the primary duty of the harbor patrol was not law enforcement, therefore the assaulted parties were not peace officers.

Swimmers have reported being threatened by Pennington when encountered on land, and they’ve reported seeing Pennington dump buckets of waste overboard. Twice his boat has slipped anchor and drifted, once striking the historic C.A. Thayer schooner, the other time hitting the Municipal Pier, according to superintendent Smith’s report.

In response to all of this, two members of the Coast Guard and one park police officer boarded his vessel in February. Pennington was described in a report as being “verbally combative.”

His boat lacked registration and officers discovered buckets of human waste in the vessel.

One day later at a hearing in United States District Court, Pennington was unable to provide a permanent address or phone number. When later asked by The Chronicle where he is from, Pennington responded “the planet Earth.”

Park police are seeking a “stay away order,” that would give Pennington 72 hours to remove his boat from Aquatic Park. If he does not comply, police have requested that the judge allow the boat to be impounded.

“We don’t want that,” said Capt. Jerry Marshall, of the U.S. Park Police. “We want him to leave.”

Sam Whiting is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: swhiting@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @SamWhitingSFInstagram: @sfchronicle_art