65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Albatros said:

hot.JPG.3017d71b1ccf2d01eba579039b12041d.JPG

Disagree, I do.

Much like Fly-unn How-Why-Unn, this boat is not.

Look at the curved surfaces! Look at the box beam akas! CLearly the designer and builder of this big Home Depot cat has studied 10,001 designs!

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Disagree, I do.

Much like Fly-unn How-Why-Unn, this boat is not.

Look at the curved surfaces! Look at the box beam akas! CLearly the designer and builder of this big Home Depot cat has studied 10,001 designs!

FB- Doug

Yes, yes!

'it' did opt for the non HD upgrade and went with glue lam cross beams! It's a new form of stability - put the ballast above the water line...

• 3 months later...

I've been saving this for a time of great need, and as we wind down the end of this epic shit show of a year, I figured now is the time.  I found the Hot Rod a number of months ago and had the opportunity to ask him some questions (literally a highlight of my life to date).   While I'm no Lil Murray (RIP our intrepid reporter), I did get some interesting Hot Rod perspective on the demise of the Flyin' Hawaiian and what's next for the Rod.    I share his remarkable responses (edited only to remove anything too personal or that could be considered doxxing) in the hopes it brings some joy in these challenging times...

TT: How are you enjoying Hawaii?  Did you ever think about selling the rights for a movie or book? 

HR: "Oh ok! I've been here almost 4 years Getting over cancer ,from all the resin I pored building the Flying Hawaiian! Went to canada to rest ,after the double hurricane disabled the Yacht! Getting ready to start to tour the America's in a big class 'A' motorhome! Calling it the pineapple express after the storm that cost me the yacht! Towing the hotrod behind it! Retired from monster builds!  I can't fix fuck up weather! 5 boats went down out there! Mine was still afloat when I bid her fair well!

TT: What kind of seas were you in when it was disabled? I saw the USCG rescue video, but never did see anything about how bad it was out there or what happened to the boat. Sounded like pretty bad seas and wind.

HR: 40ft swells with 25ft caps. From 3 different directions,85mph sustained winds from 2 directions! A bunch of men lost on other boats! I had no injuries on my yacht! Cracked almost all the inside ribs of the sponsons! But she wasn't taking on water!  Just couldn't make it in and no one would come out to tow me! So I had to let her go! Broke my hart! Thanks for asking

HR: Randomly shows me picture of a hot rod he built.  

HR: A lot of bullshit was going around about what happened, and your the first to ask the captain! It's sad how some people are! Even my first mate grew a vagina during the 4 days we battled the storm! I have no place for cowardice!  

TT: ...

HR: So on to a land yacht 37ft ! Lol Not much for a old trucker!

HR: Shows me pic of older RV

TT: Nobody's asked you about this?  I can't believe it hasn't been made into a movie!  

HR: The perfect storm was only one hurricane!  I was a artillery man in the army! We do it larger! Lol

*(At this point I feel the need to interject that I'm simply reporting what I heard, and while I'm not a meteorologist, I don't necessarily subscribe to the Rod's assertions about the double hurricane that took down the FH nor his description of The Perfect Storm being one hurricane.) 

TT: Did you get any good days of sailing before the double hurricane hit?  And what happened with the first mate? 

HR: Yes I did and it was off the hook perfect! The first mate tryed to pitypot, his was to fame at my expense! And got laughter! He was living in a small trayler behind a gas station last I heard!  We did 35nots under sail! That suprised me! But was fun!  No regrets here!

*(I'm also not a naval architect and as such can't validate Rod's claims as to the sailing capabilities of the FLyin' Hawaiian.  You'll have to make your own determination.)

TT: Awesome.  So what's next? 

HR: I'm starting on the coastal hwy first! Down to the end of Baja then up again! Then taking old hwy 66 to one of my hideaways, In the mid west! Near a movie star's ski lodge!  I have a little piece of dirt in Mexico I want to visit! I like the silver there! I'm a long way from done! Lol I don't drink but I enjoy a fine cigar and good. Cup of coffee! I'm not a fun drunk! Lol  But I do have a good time!

That was it.  Personally I hope Rod is enjoying the land yacht life, high on caffeine and nicotine and finding enough silver to fund the Flyin' Hawaiian 2.  

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Thunder Tuna said:

HR: I'm starting on the coastal hwy first! Down to the end of Baja then up again! Then taking old hwy 66 to one of my hideaways, In the mid west! Near a movie star's ski lodge!  I have a little piece of dirt in Mexico I want to visit! I like the silver there! I'm a long way from done! Lol I don't drink but I enjoy a fine cigar and good. Cup of coffee! I'm not a fun drunk! Lol  But I do have a good time!

Not to mention the occasional finger. People near hwy 66 beware! The master of presto digitation is en route. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, George Dewey said:

Not to mention the occasional finger. People near hwy 66 beware! The master of presto digitation is en route. 

35 knots of boatspeed under sail.. wonder if he broke the 24 hr record.

7 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

American Magic should draft him into their design team. If he can do that with plywood and a sliding glass door just think what he could do with carbon (assuming he survives the cancer it would immediately give him). HR can be in charge of the rutters.

21 hours ago, floating dutchman said:

Was Hotrod wasted when you interviewed him?

Impossible to say.  It was a written conversation via direct messages on a social media site.  I was quite literally astounded he replied to me, as I don't personally know The Rod, but after reading every post of this novel, I did feel a deep personal connection to The Rod.  I found him and reached out as I needed some sense of closure to this epic tale.  

18 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

Deeper analysis of his response shows he wrote: "35nots".  While I'm unaware of what "nots" is a measurement of, my hunch, based on my admittedly limited knowledge of large catamaran design and performance characteristics, is that a "not" may be the exact opposite of a "knot" or perhaps some very, very small fraction of a "knot".  Perhaps the experts in here could weigh in.  

9 minutes ago, Thunder Tuna said:

Deeper analysis of his response shows he wrote: "35nots".  While I'm unaware of what "nots" is a measurement of, my hunch, based on my admittedly limited knowledge of large catamaran design and performance characteristics, is that a "not" may be the exact opposite of a "knot" or perhaps some very, very small fraction of a "knot".  Perhaps the experts in here could weigh in.  

I think you're reading too much into his typing error. I would expect he did indeed mean "knot" as in, there were 35 knots in the plywood and they all sank very quickly. Or perhaps instead of knots in a rope, he counts knots in the plywood topsides passing some point, like a wave crest, over some time... 

Or, he did type it correctly. Perhaps 35 times, someone on board said "I will not do that" or "this will not work" or "I am not batshit crazy like you are" or "we will not live to see the end of this day" or "get your filthy hands off me I will not fuck you, I'm already pregnant..."

1 hour ago, Kenny Dumas said:

I think Thunder Tuna added that extra vagina but. But a great write up just the same 

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predecessors (RIP Lil Murray), would help you understand why editing or embellishing on his replies strikes against my very nature and sense of honor.  The Rod is a man of action.  A man of great vision.  A man of few words.  A man of even fewer words that are comprehensible.  Misunderstood genius?  Yacht Building Savant?  The next Robert Perry?  The Frank Lloyd Wright of the sea?  These are not questions I'm qualified to answer.  But I know what I don't know.  To think I have the education, experience or intellect to interpret or edit the gospel of The Rod would be the height of hubris in my opinion.  

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, George Dewey said:

I think you're reading too much into his typing error. I would expect he did indeed mean "knot" as in, there were 35 knots in the plywood and they all sank very quickly. Or perhaps instead of knots in a rope, he counts knots in the plywood topsides passing some point, like a wave crest, over some time... 

Or, he did type it correctly. Perhaps 35 times, someone on board said "I will not do that" or "this will not work" or "I am not batshit crazy like you are..."

Excellent point that last one.   The Rod may have even been under-reporting, which would fit with his humble nature.  For example, I imagine the phrase "We are not floating anymore" may have been uttered more than 35 times.  

• Like 3

Thank you, TT, for reviving this thread in such an entertaining manner.  Poor old Rod is so delusional....good thing you communicated over the interwebs.  Otherwise, you probably would need to go get tested

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, unShirley said:

Thank you, TT, for reviving this thread in such an entertaining manner.  Poor old Rod is so delusional....good thing you communicated over the interwebs.  Otherwise, you probably would need to go get tested

Tested? Hell, he'd probably be lost to us and enjoying direct communication with Lil' Murry.

On 12/9/2020 at 2:56 PM, Thunder Tuna said:

Impossible to say.  It was a written conversation via direct messages on a social media site.  I was quite literally astounded he replied to me, as I don't personally know The Rod, but after reading every post of this novel, I did feel a deep personal connection to The Rod.  I found him and reached out as I needed some sense of closure to this epic tale.  

well done mate. Now on to Reid Stowe?

On 12/8/2020 at 5:30 PM, Thunder Tuna said:

I've been saving this for a time of great need, and as we wind down the end of this epic shit show of a year, I figured now is the time.  I found the Hot Rod a number of months ago and had the opportunity to ask him some questions (literally a highlight of my life to date).   While I'm no Lil Murray (RIP our intrepid reporter), I did get some interesting Hot Rod perspective on the demise of the Flyin' Hawaiian and what's next for the Rod.    I share his remarkable responses (edited only to remove anything too personal or that could be considered doxxing) in the hopes it brings some joy in these challenging times...

TT: How are you enjoying Hawaii?  Did you ever think about selling the rights for a movie or book? 

HR: "Oh ok! I've been here almost 4 years Getting over cancer ,from all the resin I pored building the Flying Hawaiian! Went to canada to rest ,after the double hurricane disabled the Yacht! Getting ready to start to tour the America's in a big class 'A' motorhome! Calling it the pineapple express after the storm that cost me the yacht! Towing the hotrod behind it! Retired from monster builds!  I can't fix fuck up weather! 5 boats went down out there! Mine was still afloat when I bid her fair well!

TT: What kind of seas were you in when it was disabled? I saw the USCG rescue video, but never did see anything about how bad it was out there or what happened to the boat. Sounded like pretty bad seas and wind.

HR: 40ft swells with 25ft caps. From 3 different directions,85mph sustained winds from 2 directions! A bunch of men lost on other boats! I had no injuries on my yacht! Cracked almost all the inside ribs of the sponsons! But she wasn't taking on water!  Just couldn't make it in and no one would come out to tow me! So I had to let her go! Broke my hart! Thanks for asking

HR: Randomly shows me picture of a hot rod he built.  

HR: A lot of bullshit was going around about what happened, and your the first to ask the captain! It's sad how some people are! Even my first mate grew a vagina during the 4 days we battled the storm! I have no place for cowardice!  

TT: ...

HR: So on to a land yacht 37ft ! Lol Not much for a old trucker!

HR: Shows me pic of older RV

TT: Nobody's asked you about this?  I can't believe it hasn't been made into a movie!  

HR: The perfect storm was only one hurricane!  I was a artillery man in the army! We do it larger! Lol

*(At this point I feel the need to interject that I'm simply reporting what I heard, and while I'm not a meteorologist, I don't necessarily subscribe to the Rod's assertions about the double hurricane that took down the FH nor his description of The Perfect Storm being one hurricane.) 

TT: Did you get any good days of sailing before the double hurricane hit?  And what happened with the first mate? 

HR: Yes I did and it was off the hook perfect! The first mate tryed to pitypot, his was to fame at my expense! And got laughter! He was living in a small trayler behind a gas station last I heard!  We did 35nots under sail! That suprised me! But was fun!  No regrets here!

*(I'm also not a naval architect and as such can't validate Rod's claims as to the sailing capabilities of the FLyin' Hawaiian.  You'll have to make your own determination.)

TT: Awesome.  So what's next? 

That was it.  Personally I hope Rod is enjoying the land yacht life, high on caffeine and nicotine and finding enough silver to fund the Flyin' Hawaiian 2.  

This is going to keep me cracking up all day. Thanks!

On 12/11/2020 at 2:04 PM, unShirley said:

You're welcome.  I don't have the bravery required to interview The Rod in person.  I'm no Lil' Murray, nor would I like to end up like Lil' Murray.

1 hour ago, h20man said:

This is the thread that just keeps on giving.........

I believe that this thread would make an awesome coffee table book. Perfect gift for special occasions, nice pictures, a happy ending (except for Li'l Murray, and the finger-bitten marina manager) shucks it's had several happy endings now.

- DSK

39 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I believe that this thread would make an awesome coffee table book. Perfect gift for special occasions, nice pictures, a happy ending (except for Li'l Murray, and the finger-bitten marina manager) shucks it's had several happy endings now.

- DSK

I'll wait for the movie.

On 12/14/2020 at 10:09 PM, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

But the remains of the plywood table endure.

17 minutes ago, Quotidian Tom said:

But the remains of the plywood table endure.

Hey, that would make a great particle physics experiment, if the Hot Rod book were put on Tom's plywood table experiment, would that cause a Disturbance In The Force?

- DSK

On 12/14/2020 at 9:09 PM, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Only if it comes with tear out pages you can fold into a Flyin’ Hawaiian model. 

1 minute ago, Monkey said:

Only if it comes with tear out pages you can fold into a Flyin’ Hawaiian model. 

Great idea! I hereby appoint you Assistant Editor. Name your salary!

- DSK