65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Actually, if you look at the facts the Titanic never sank, it's sister ship did, It's all one big insurance scam.

Report's getting a work out today! :P

I read that theory ... They dressed up the Olympic to look like the Titanic, then used the Titanic for the cheap-ass Olympic runs. Not sure I understand how a scam like that would work.

But it does bring an interesting conspiracy to mind ..

what if Hotrod is playing us all?

Plans a durable, heavy weather cat, orders marine ply from Home Depot and then takes photos of the hulls with the joist hangers and carriage bolts. Then while we're all discussing the ensuing debris field he sneaks down into those hulls and overbuilds the living crap out of them ... reinforced joins, double-cross-braced bridge deck supports, interlinked stringers ... the whole thing secretly becomes tighter than a debutante's stevedore port.

Then while we're anticipating the debris field he knocks back typhoons like a senator at the feedlot ... just to screw with us y'see?

The Olympic was badly damaged in an accident and for some reason they were unable to claim insurance (I think) so they swapped the two boats and sunk the Olympic claiming it was the Titanic, or so the story goes.

As for Hot Rods boat, It's worth what, 200K ?

The crane driver who breaks up the boat putting it in the water better have good insurance, Remember the materials were paid for with and insurance scam payout.

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

Except that they disproved the Olympic theory by examining the numbers recorded on the prop etc when they found the wreck, and proved it was the Titanic.

How does a guy who has blown his last 10k, is down to his last half dozen cans of baked beans, 3 fishhooks and last packet of tech screws, think he is going to go live on an island somewhere, and THAT lifestyle would actually be a better one ?

Building the boat was probably therapeutic following his ugly divorce settlement, but i sense that the normal post divorce desire to kill oneself, has moderated to the point where having started this project, he now plans to simply tow it to somewhere local, shallow and cheap, and live on it rent free. If that means that the hulls sit on the bottom, flooded, then the bridgedeck is still big enough to live in. It probably explains why he hasnt bothered much with strengthening the hulls, knowing that they will end up submerged.

Just think, it could be a liveupon wreck coming to a creek near you. Who says you cannot live upon a partially submerged boat ? If you can tour the world with impugnity on a ferrotub, why not just beach yourself up a local creek at high tide, and stay there.... You dont have to go all the way to Guyana to find a creek. . Lets see how the mother in law copes. Staying local means they can take a tinny to the local pub or servo. They can repair her wheelchair punctures. He could build a third floor, already having the gantries to do it with. Just find a creek where the mossies and rednecks will leave you alone...The hulls were only ever intended to keep the bridgedeck off the mud, give him foundations to build on, and somewhere to park his tinny in the shade. The pointed bottoms of the hulls, and the ramming plates on the bows, all point to a design intended to be driven/dropped into mud and staying there....Clever boy is the Rod.

Wow, I just looked left and saw that Ive got 0 warning points. Thats a comfort. So how come nobody else has even achieved zero yet... cmon, step up guys... Evil thrives when good people stand by and do nothing. Strive for it, you too can reach the giddy heights of zero...

I was at zero for quite a while. What does that make me? I swore at Bob Perry and called him names and I still had zero warning points.

Now I understand! I was wondering why only I had zero points as well, despite setting Void Ho bombs regularly and getting an official PM warning from the Ed for posting 'that' Santa photo in every thread during the great Nicole Scott occupy shit storm last year. I also got a sock puppet pinged for picking on Gator and got told to lay of Dorag. What exactly do you have to do to get a warning point around here?

The lightbulb moment:

Mrs Hotrod (the ex) "My lawyer says I get your house, and you get $10,000, that fkn battery drill that ruined our marriage, and you get to keep looking after my mother, taking out my garbage weekly, and as far as I care, you can go and live in a FKN SWAMP with mum."

Hotrod, "Yes dear".

On my word, my children you understand not! Brother Rodney is simply doing my good works. Isn't it obvious? He is the one I have chosen to create the 2nd Ark. Whilst not exactly what I had in mind ,'tis a fine and sturdy craft to survive to coming flood. I will grant you that his workmanship is not quite what I was hoping for (Carpenters clearly aren't what they were back in the day) but it should suffice.

Nor am I so sure about the strength of the cross beams but hey- I don't have exclusive use of the old 'working in mysterious ways' caper!

Cast stones apon him all you like, but none of you will be laughing when the flood cometh and it floats free. I had him choose this location carefully. As all you sinners drown brother Rodney and a chosen few will be safely aboard Ark2 and your pitiful cries will be drowned out by the screaming engines of the flotilla of Macgreger 26's towing him to safety. And you all thought the Mac 26 was the work of the devil.......

20-25 knots? Can something sink that fast?

One Australia did

I thought the estimate was 15 knts? They used it to calculate impact speed and concluded salvaging would not be useful IIRC

20-25 knots? Can something sink that fast?

One Australia did

I thought the estimate was 15 knts? They used it to calculate impact speed and concluded salvaging would not be useful IIRC

+1

but by now the Lead might be worth gettin

must be a few Spanners on it too

No way in Hell that hasn't been checked out on our Gov's Dime ^_^

I have been working from home the last few days so I haven't passed the marina since Thursday afternoon. So today on my way out I stopped to have a look see if there has been any progress. There wasn't anything much going on outside, but someone from inside spoke loudly to an arriving visitor that he was "glassing the bathroom." If I have a chance tomorrow I am going to bring a six-pack by and see if I can't get a tour.

I did snap some photos

post-98603-0-69839600-1368941304_thumb.jpg

A majestic profile?

post-98603-0-77663200-1368941306_thumb.jpg

Note the black bottom paint covering most of the diamond plate bow plates.

post-98603-0-91713300-1368941625_thumb.jpg

Bow on. Note that it shows the back end of the improvised trailer. In several places on this thread there have been comments doubting that there was a clear route to the launch ramp from the building site. Well, I don't know if the boat will stay on the trailer, or intact as the whole thing moves, but I am pretty confident that all other things being equal there is sufficient clearance along the short route to the lauch ramp. I paced it all off and while there are some tight spots it should make it to the ramp and likely in the water. Balance on the trailer is going to be critical as the three axels are about at the center of the whole package. The axel position should make the turns that are necessary possible if everything holds together.

post-98603-0-37491600-1368941628_thumb.jpg

Attachment point for the bowsprit shrouds.

post-98603-0-15780400-1368941627_thumb.jpg

The new little spreaders for those shrowds

post-98603-0-92969200-1368941308_thumb.jpg

The aft deck and the starboard steering station.

post-98603-0-54898500-1368941310_thumb.jpg

As indicated by others that is a bronze anodized patio door and the little ship's bell on the port side. Visible through the window is the Mizzen mast compression post that apears made from doubled up 2x4s.

post-98603-0-72144300-1368941624_thumb.jpg

A close look reveals that the under side of the "roof' has been faced with plywood and may have a coat of some sort of clear finish applied.

post-98603-0-37494000-1368941622_thumb.jpg

Starboard rudder painted, mounted and "ready" The rudders are about 1 or 11/4 inches thick and flat as, well..... a board. The port rudder was on a couple of blocks with a fresh coat of roughly coated epoxy applied. It would seem that they are made from plywood with 1- 1/2 inch pieces of solid wood edge laminated fore, aft and bottom. The bottom sections appeard to be made of a darker "hardwood" material.

post-98603-0-58093900-1368941623_thumb.jpg

Here's the mounted rudder edge on. If you look closely it appears to be slightly curved. It was a very breezy day and I'd swear that the thing was bending in the wind.

thanks lilmurray. well done. Its even scarier up close. He doesnt seem to have worked out how he is going to steer it or motor it or sail it yet. And it has no safety rails anywhere, and no visible sail control systems. He really doesnt have a clue, that is really obvious, and actually pretty scary in its own right. Good luck Rod, because you are going to really need it as soon as you couple up that trailer and start dragging it.

attachicon.gifDSC_0335.jpg

The aft deck and the starboard steering station.

Ooops, this is of course the port steering station.

thanks lilmurray. well done. Its even scarier up close. He doesnt seem to have worked out how he is going to steer it or motor it or sail it yet. And it has no safety rails anywhere, and no visible sail control systems. He really doesnt have a clue, that is really obvious, and actually pretty scary in its own right. Good luck Rod, because you are going to really need it as soon as you couple up that trailer and start dragging it.

Well, there is a cable system linking the two wheels to the rudders such as they are.

Sail controls are indeed something of mystery. I was told that they are "looking for donations of running rigging. Blocks and winches are on the wish list. They would really like some hand-me-downs.

It has often been commented that the boat lacks railings. I was told that stanchions and lifelines are very big on the wish list.

Auxilliary propulshion is said to be a couple of 9 HP outboards.

Well thanks for the pics lilmurray

Wow and wow. Every time you look at the details on this ongoing train wreck you think all that work and it is almost certainly going to be all for nothing as it all goes horribly wrong at some stage,

I can not make sense of the rudder pintles but for sure they look totally inadequate. Ah well what is one more underspec design item on this amazing venture.

I can not make sense of the rudder pintles but for sure they look totally inadequate. Ah well what is one more underspec design item on this amazing venture.

post-98603-0-22521800-1368976381_thumb.jpg

Well give this a try. This is the port side mounting without the rudder in place. The rudder-head gudgeon assembly is the smooth black metal and the pintel is a rod that passes top to bottom through that diamond plate mount. The steering arm attachment kinda blends in with the background but extends from near the top of the rudder head to the right.

On my word, my children you understand not! Brother Rodney is simply doing my good works. Isn't it obvious? He is the one I have chosen to create the 2nd Ark. Whilst not exactly what I had in mind ,'tis a fine and sturdy craft to survive to coming flood. I will grant you that his workmanship is not quite what I was hoping for (Carpenters clearly aren't what they were back in the day) but it should suffice.

Nor am I so sure about the strength of the cross beams but hey- I don't have exclusive use of the old 'working in mysterious ways' caper!

Cast stones apon him all you like, but none of you will be laughing when the flood cometh and it floats free. I had him choose this location carefully. As all you sinners drown brother Rodney and a chosen few will be safely aboard Ark2 and your pitiful cries will be drowned out by the screaming engines of the flotilla of Macgreger 26's towing him to safety. And you all thought the Mac 26 was the work of the devil.......

:lol: This post has awesomness all over it.

I think if we all went to our garage and got out that box of misc boat parts and donated a few, we could get this project sorted. After all it will be so much more interesting if this thing is complete and ready to go when all hell breaks loose.

Which has been more fun, this od Tin can????

Maybe it's time for a H'Rod poll. Suggested poll:

What will happen to Hotrod and his marvelous wood Cat?

1 - Never makes it to the water. Dies a slow death on land.

2 - Breaks up during launch.

3 - Launches but never makes it out of the marina.

4 - Makes it out of the marina, but sinks/grounds in SF Bay.

5 - Makes it to the Golden Gate and is destroyed shortly thereafter.

6 - Makes it to the South Pacific. Hotrod and Mom live happily ever after.

I'm going with 3.

I already voted for number 4, but I think it's time for a more detailed poll about the exact failure mode.

Something like:

1. Hulls go different directions.

2. Compression post(s) driven through bottom of boat.

3. Rudders break/fall off.

4. Other.

5. All of the above.

It looks like he took his design inspiration from the Merrimac.

"If it hold together" is the whole point of this thread isn't it?

If it stays intact into the water and floats, it could be towed up the delta and used as a float home I guess.

attachicon.gifDSC_0329.jpg

A majestic profile?

attachicon.gifDSC_0332.jpg

if everything holds together.

So, nobody expects it to fall apart as a result of an a-la-Oracle pitchpole? After all, they're both big cats, aren't they?

Maybe the big hush-hush secret that nobody knows yet, is that this is the prototype for the new, less expensive successor to the AC 72 that will generate massive participation in the America's Cup. Just imagine an AC with a hundred of these things on the Bay! With wing sails of course, in the competitive version.

Reasons for the Hotrod 65 to replace the AC 72:

1. The America’s Cup is about pushing the design frontiers of sailing.

Check; this boat does that. In spades. Hot Rod boldly innovates where hundreds of yacht designers have never gone before.

2. The America’s Cup nowadays seems to be about NASCAR-style crashes and boat failures, but with less crew safety or protection.

Check; this boat seems poised to break new ground in the crash and burn department, especially if it’s given a competitive wing sail rig.

3. The AC is in danger of not delivering the goods to its sponsors and needs new sponsors.
Check; this design is a natural to bring new sponsors to the AC. Goodbye Louis Vuitton or Rolex or whoever; hello Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Wal-Mart, Duck Tape, and Georgia-Pacific!

4. The most pressing need of the America’s Cup is to make the designs more affordable and to increase participation. And many Cup fans long for a return to competition between nations.

Check; this design will allow for a huge increase in the number of teams competing on the Bay. Even countries as diverse as Uganda, Mongolia, San Marino, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania, Lesotho, Paraguay, Papua New Guinea, Bangladesh, and Mississippi will feel encouraged to submit entries with this revolutionary new AC design. It’ll obviously be the best AC ever!!!

Id be amazed if the empty resin tins left laying around, said he was using epoxy resin. More likely Polyester resin on that budget. Its scary how badly the hull plywood sheets are joined together. When you can see every join from a long distance, you know that up close, its going to look a whole lot worse..

No outboard mounting brackets yet. Perhaps they will mount onto the rudderstocks somehow.

The way he has arranged that rudder cable assembly is interesting. If he survives long enough to try turning that pos, he will be pulling only on the inside arm of only one rudder at a time. The other rudder is being asked to do absolutely nothing. Which means that if the windward rudder comes out of the water in a wave (god forbid), or pops up or breaks off, his steering ability is reduced to only PULLING on the inside face of the other rudder, NOT being able to push it away. Perhaps he plans to fit huge springs on each rudder so that they pull the other way, but there is no indication on the stocks that is planned. No-choice steering ability that cant cope with one rudder becoming inactive. Another immediately obvious "visible from 40 feet away" clever design feature by the Rod. The two rudderstocks need to be linked together with a crossbar, but hey this is steering Rod style...

Id be amazed if the empty resin tins left laying around, said he was using epoxy resin. More likely Polyester resin on that budget. Its scary how badly the hull plywood sheets are joined together. When you can see every join from a long distance, you know that up close, its going to look a whole lot worse..

No outboard mounting brackets yet. Perhaps they will mount onto the rudderstocks somehow.

The way he has arranged that rudder cable assembly is interesting. If he survives long enough to try turning that pos, he will be pulling only on the inside arm of only one rudder at a time. The other rudder is being asked to do absolutely nothing. Which means that if the windward rudder comes out of the water in a wave (god forbid), or pops up or breaks off, his steering ability is reduced to only PULLING on the inside face of the other rudder, NOT being able to push it away. Perhaps he plans to fit huge springs on each rudder so that they pull the other way, but there is no indication on the stocks that is planned. No-choice steering ability that cant cope with one rudder becoming inactive. Another immediately obvious "visible from 40 feet away" clever design feature by the Rod. The two rudderstocks need to be linked together with a crossbar, but hey this is steering Rod style...

TTT --

He may be doing what the big Finot, JuanK, etc. twin-rudder boats do -- the weather rudder is typically auto-disengaged so that it doesn't slow the boat down ... ;-)

Did you notice the way that he didnt bother to antifoul the square foot of transom area inside each his rudderstock frames ? Is that because barnacles wont be able to clingon at warp 5 ?

And you can bet that the turnbuckles on his bowpole reinforcing cables are walmart galvanized ones, not stainless. He's got them each end, so when the inaccessible ones midships rust up, he can tighten the ones on the other ends to take the slack out of the clothesline galvanized wire he is probably using to hold his rig up with.

Ah, the rig isnt for holding sails, its for hanging his laundry on, and lifting materials aboard to build the third storey once the hulls are firmly in the mud.

And how do you repair the leaky rotting hulls ? easy. You dont. Just throw bags of Walmart rapid set cement into the bilgewater when the tide is low.

The plywood is just formers for what will eventually become a cement based triple storey waterfront swamp mansion with Walmart sponsored sign writing on the roof. Go the Rod !!

He is in fact using West System Epoxy for at least some of the lay-up. There are empty and partly full gallon cans of it laying about. The hulls were brought to the site mostly complete and the sheets of plywood appeared butt jointed and backed up along the seams on the inside with wood stips and such. You can see every joint because a strip of fiberglass (maybe 5 or 6 " wide) is laminated over the top of of all the joints on the outside. No attention was given to fairing. The overall surface of the hulls were I believe coated with epoxy but I did not see any glass applied overall. The cabin was done in a similar fashion with the joints of each sheet splitting the 2x4 framing.

post-98603-0-22521800-1368976381_thumb.j

Only the starboard side rudderstock seems equipped with push pull steering cable. The portside rudderstock has ordinary wire, with no cross bar or spring return. There is no way of ensuring that the portside rudderstock returns to the straight ahead position, unless water pressure can override cable friction and corrosion in the rudderstock pivot area. This means that when turning to starboard or travelling straight ahead, only one rudder will be carrying load to change direction, whereas when turning to port, it will be two. Additionally, there is no reverse steering because the portside rudderstock would simply flop over 45 degrees outward, bending its cable.

Translated, this means that friction and corrosion is likely to make the boat unsteerable in any direction at slow speed, and at high speed, steerage is only achievable with both rudders, if you want to go in the direction that operates the port side rudder. . There is a danger that with corrosion and friction build up, one or both rudders will become stuck pointing in the direction you dont want to go. No amount of viagra will make that steering wire on the port rudder push pull.

He has obviously been reading the October 1964 edition of Model Railway Magazine, because he has built himself a London Underground train avoidance hole into the side of the cabin. Handy for avoiding those rogue waves sweeping past, and which will probably later contain stairs up to mother in law wheelchair exclusion zone on the cabin roof.

Cant wait for the shakedown shake to bits trial run Rod. Those ramming plates are going to get a real workout.

But hey, you will be able to steer by trimming sails, right ? Rod....??? (somebody call a medic)

Sooo... 9 women can't have a baby in a month?

But they can average 1 baby a month over a 9 month period.

If a hen and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long does it take a hundred hens to lay a hundred eggs grasshopper with a wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?

Fixed. The original is one of my all-time faves; never mind about living on the head of a pin, this is Mary Jane philosophy at its finest.

Oh yeah, and where are my warning points, cocksuckers? Foul fucking douchebags...gimme my points. Just like you ain't a worthy drunk if you haven't soiled your drawers in public and kept on drinking, you ain't a worthy poster here if you ain't got warning points. So gimme some points, pricks.

Er, never mind. I get it.

Back to my hole.

I'm surprised no one noticed in the photo of h/r dead on. If you look in the background of the photo, you can clearly see 3 boxes marked "flux capacitors, only to be opened in an ectoplasmic free environment".

It's all in the details.

H/R is on fire.

.. Perhaps he plans to fit huge springs on each rudder so that they pull the other way, but there is no indication on the stocks that is planned. ..

Finally! I've been waiting years for an explanation for Tillerman's autopilot spring.

I know this has been asked before, but at what point does SA and we as an audience become culpable for letting this happen? Maybe it's all just an elaborate scheme financed by *********** to bring Sailing Anarchy down?

Somebody think of the children!

dammit - I know where he got inspiration for his rudders

I think you are right!! I was thinking the very same thing last week when I snapped this picture not a couple hundred feet away from where the cat is being built!

post-98603-0-20455700-1369068714_thumb.jpg

OK I am now SLIGHTLY reassured about the rudder pintles. They MIGHT be strong enough to maintain integrity in calm conditions while motoring.

But I do wish you had not told me about the steering linkage, or lack of.

However we have to stop this thing if he attempts to take it out onto the ocean. That just is not up to the job in even a light sea and mild conditions.

"we" couldn't stop the Tin Can, even through a heads up to the Coasties who performed a bit of an inspection. What power would "we" have to stop HR from launching, and floating with the flood tide up to the Delta?

There is one big difference between hot rod and Donald Crowhurst. Crowhurst's boat was a tri.

Crowhursts boat actually sailed as well - for years afterwards.

OK I am now SLIGHTLY reassured about the rudder pintles. They MIGHT be strong enough to maintain integrity in calm conditions while motoring.

However we have to stop this thing if he attempts to take it out onto the ocean. That just is not up to the job in even a light sea and mild conditions.

I doubt it's going to be a problem - do you really think that thing will ever be able to get out the Gate?

I actually Do Not believe the heap is intended to be used as anything other than

a cormorant nest and waterfront condo

with only a chance of being the first ;)

Oh yeah, and where are my warning points, cocksuckers? Foul fucking douchebags...gimme my points. Just like you ain't a worthy drunk if you haven't soiled your drawers in public and kept on drinking, you ain't a worthy poster here if you ain't got warning points. So gimme some points, pricks.

Back to my hole.

I have 1,273 warning points after using 500 to buy a SA Hoodie and SAYC Parking sticker :)

Back to my hole.

Where can you see how many warnings you have???

There is one big difference between hot rod and Donald Crowhurst. Crowhurst's boat was a tri.

And it is still kind of in one piece...

orgelectron.jpg

Back to my hole.

Go to your profile and look to the left, beneath your avatar picture...

orgelectron.jpg

I think the story of Crowhurst's trip might be one of the most haunting things I have ever read. Terrifying how many little steps can take you so very far...

.. Perhaps he plans to fit huge springs on each rudder so that they pull the other way, but there is no indication on the stocks that is planned. ..

Finally! I've been waiting years for an explanation for Tillerman's autopilot spring.

And the tripod bridal? Could explain the rig, DT was a man before his time...

orgelectron.jpg

I think the story of Crowhurst's trip might be one of the most haunting things I have ever read. Terrifying how many little steps can take you so very far...

O/K, here's the next poll - it took decades for Crowhurst's boat to end up like that - after being left adrift in the mid Atlantic.

How long until HR's "boat" looks like that?

orgelectron.jpg

O/K, here's the next poll - it took decades for Crowhurst's boat to end up like that - after being left adrift in the mid Atlantic.

That assumes it holds together long enough to get that weathered.

Back to my hole.

Go to your profile and look to the left, beneath your avatar picture...

And they taunt some of us by posting our lack of warning points beneath our avatar and post count as a constant reminder that we're the "good" kids.

Maybe if I set a dumpster on fire...

EDIT: I think you can only see your own under the avatar/post count? Whatever...where's the matches?

orgelectron.jpg

Hotrod's boat will never look that good.

Wasnt it Rods great great great grandfather who came down from the mountain with the third tablet containing commandments 11 to 15 ? (and dropped the fkr).

Ever since then, man has been plagued with the question: How many cubits cubans can fit into a 65 by 32 foot refugee raft, if they are stacked in 2 x 2..

Mikey W you are good with an abacus. let her rip.

130520_oklahoma_tornado_damage_ap_328.jp

So I'm blurrily skimming through the news feed this morning, a little groggy since I ain't had enough coffee yet, and I come across this picture.

Huh. So ol' Hot Rod finally launched, did he?

<sip coffee>

That turned out just about like we expected.

<sip more coffee>

Wait. . . .how the hell did he get to Oklahoma?!?

<Go back and re-read the headline of the article>

I noticed that there was no compass on his pedestal. I guess he's just going to "Thor Heyerdahl" his navigation?

best

threadnaught

ever

B)

can't wait... please please someone setup a webcam so we dont miss the launch???

anarchist... he don't need no stinking compass... he watched Vikings (awesome series!), and will steer by the sun-line, to determine north/south position :)

His helm station instrumentation comprises only a hanging piece of string. (If wet, its raining, etc etc) however, in Rods case, that includes submersion advice, such as "you should have used another thousand tech screws" or "think about making both rudders fully operational next time" or "dont put up sails you can neither control nor see"....

His helm station instrumentation comprises only a hanging piece of string. (If wet, its raining, etc etc) however, in Rods case, that includes submersion advice, such as "you should have used another thousand tech screws" or "think about making both rudders fully operational next time" or "dont put up sails you can neither control nor see"....

See the sails? Eh.

Couple of those construction safety mirrors and he's all set.

uk-b_safety-mirrors-t-panoramic_mirror_r

Must I solve all the problems around this joint?

See the sails? Eh.

Hotrod's past haunts him enough already. He doesnt need no stinkin mirrors to tell him what else is rolling up behind him as he surfs at 25 knots to New Zealand with a mother in law rolling around the deck like a loose cannon and only one operational rudder. With the rod, Things are closer than they appear already, such as imminent death, manifesting itself in many wonderful ways.

What a way to go, hit run by a wheelchair while surfing in the southern ocean on a disintegrating piece of plywood. He dont need no stinkin breaking mirrors. Bad luck is already with him and her tyres are fully pumped. Dont forget to indicate before leaving the kerb Rod. We want to witness this A salt and Battery event.

You are playing with Rods headspace there MikeW. When he climbs to the cabin roof and looks at the sails, he is on port tack, yet when he looks in the mirror, he is on starboard tack. WTF ? Should he give into himself or will he be forever wronged by this dilemma ? Which tack was it again, where the rudder actually worked ? (how you can end up with the mother in law after a messy divorce is already beyond belief.... )

attachicon.gifDSC_0336.jpg

As indicated by others that is a bronze anodized patio door and the little ship's bell on the port side. Visible through the window is the Mizzen mast compression post that apears made from doubled up 2x4s.

I think he's going to be really sick of hearing that bell by the time he gets to "all of the islands in the Pacific"

attachicon.gifDSC_0336.jpg

I think he's going to be really sick of hearing that bell by the time he gets to "all of the islands in the Pacific" over his first wave. What with the sound of tearing plywood, shreiding sails, harbor patrol pursuit sirens, and the screaming mother in law's smoking wheel burnouts, he will remain well and truly deaf to all reason by then... Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls not for thee but for the Rod whose time has cometh. Hallelujah and pass the popcorn.

We are waiting in Auckland with baited breath... Go the Rod!!

That's an interesting way of fishing - must really be offensive to your fishing buddies as well.

I await your response with bated breath. ^_^

We are waiting in Auckland with baited breath... Go the Rod!!

That's an interesting way of fishing - must really be offensive to your fishing buddies as well.

I await your response with bated breath. ^_^

Baited Breath in Auckland is more like Pink Jasmine

compared to any Kanadian Bated Breath in the Great Weight North ;)B)

O Great One who rules the seize and all the sail-scum which there do inhabit (infest? A matter of semantics, innit?), You in your Benificence, Gregarity and Salubrious Contentiousness have called the Great Red One's offering upon Thy Alter of Rations as Thine Own Ark (Ye Seconde) but:

Doth not The Great One take and give away in the same moment, ingnoring the Most Worthie and Puissant Effort of His Most Humbolt Servant, The inimitable and ever-Lovely George McCay and his prime effort, dedicated unto Thy Smacked As... I mean, Your Exalted Personage, yclept "Raw Faith"?

Yea, though we know that You have many things to sweat over (The IRS and Obama; Did Hillary KNOW??; Is Assad Really Such An Ass?? ) and so many other pressing items of answerage that need seeing to (after the Special Dry Martini, of course), but for you to seemingly Ignore, Deprecate, Shunt and otherwise treat as Unnecessary the efforts of such a Dedicated and Convicted Servant such as McCay seems, well... I mean....

(Methinks I smell Chocolate!!)

Deity? Art truly Dutch???

At Any Rate.... We, your devoted followers, would like you to at least include McCay's efforts in Thine Pantheon (wrong word?) of Wonderous but Probably Insufficiently-thought-through vessels. If not at #2 position, then where You see fit...

Protect Thou The Catamaran (un-named, yet dear unto our heart) (Yeh, just one of us feels like that, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity...) , O Great One, from the inavertant flame, the well-intentioned transport accident or the All-too-common personal injury incident and let it finally reach the Bosom of Thy Waters, even should that prove to be (as are most watery bosoms of sufficient size) to be implanted and false, allowing only of a sinking or (as was writ by another intrepid poster), "The final achevement of a debris field achieving it's maximum entropic state".

Yea, do we, Thy subject toredo-forms ask it of Thee!

But: as has been taught to us in the Book of Moby (13:2:7). "The Great One Giveth and thenTaketh away: The Great One is an Indian Giver!"

See the sails? Eh.

Yeah, but objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.

well, since this guy can do 35 knots...

asking 25 knots of this super cat is quite reasonable eh?

(and yes, i would love to build myself that figaro and spam boat porn of it here while building it)

Only the starboard side rudderstock seems equipped with push pull steering cable.The portside rudderstock has ordinary wire, with no cross bar or spring return. There is no way of ensuring that the portside rudderstock returns to the straight ahead position, unless water pressure can override cable friction and corrosion in the rudderstock pivot area.................................

Mystery solved but only raises more questions!

post-98603-0-77491600-1369200142_thumb.jpeg

I didn't intend to confuse people but apparently my other pictures of the steering gear raised some rather creative speculation on how the steering system would or would not opperate. The rudders do in fact move " to and fro " together under the direct "control" of the steering stations. There are no springs or other mystery actuators involved. Rather, the system is what might be called "pull-pull". The picture above should be pretty self explanatory. This is the port side and the starboard side looks pretty much the same I have my own concerns about this "system"and several of them involve what is going on below deck, but I will let you guys have at it for right now.

BTW yesterday I spent a good part of the afternoon touring the boat and talking at length with Hot Rod and his son. I took several pictures and will get them posted when I sort out a membership with flicker or? I am also going to compose another post prior to a further report on what I saw and experienced.

relevant...

nsfw

http://oglaf.com/bilge/

Spot on Nick, good one.

Other funny thing is I wrote my "set something on fire" post before I read that.

A better one about seafaring men in general.

http://oglaf.com/salty-tales/

Wasnt it Rods great great great grandfather who came down from the mountain with the third tablet containing commandments 11 to 15 ? (and dropped the fkr).

Ever since then, man has been plagued with the question: How many cubits cubans can fit into a 65 by 32 foot refugee raft, if they are stacked in 2 x 2..

Mikey W you are good with an abacus. let her rip.

Timmy my child much of my words have been twisted by history. They were actually the 10 'suggestions'

O Great One who rules the seize and all the sail-scum which there do inhabit (infest? A matter of semantics, innit?), You in your Benificence, Gregarity and Salubrious Contentiousness have called the Great Red One's offering upon Thy Alter of Rations as Thine Own Ark (Ye Seconde) but:

Doth not The Great One take and give away in the same moment, ingnoring the Most Worthie and Puissant Effort of His Most Humbolt Servant, The inimitable and ever-Lovely George McCay and his prime effort, dedicated unto Thy Smacked As... I mean, Your Exalted Personage, yclept "Raw Faith"?

Yea, though we know that You have many things to sweat over (The IRS and Obama; Did Hillary KNOW??; Is Assad Really Such An Ass?? ) and so many other pressing items of answerage that need seeing to (after the Special Dry Martini, of course), but for you to seemingly Ignore, Deprecate, Shunt and otherwise treat as Unnecessary the efforts of such a Dedicated and Convicted Servant such as McCay seems, well... I mean....

At Any Rate.... We, your devoted followers, would like you to at least include McCay's efforts in Thine Pantheon (wrong word?) of Wonderous but Probably Insufficiently-thought-through vessels. If not at #2 position, then where You see fit...

Protect Thou The Catamaran (un-named, yet dear unto our heart) (Yeh, just one of us feels like that, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity...) , O Great One, from the inavertant flame, the well-intentioned transport accident or the All-too-common personal injury incident and let it finally reach the Bosom of Thy Waters, even should that prove to be (as are most watery bosoms of sufficient size) to be implanted and false, allowing only of a sinking or (as was writ by another intrepid poster), "The final achevement of a debris field achieving it's maximum entropic state".

But: as has been taught to us in the Book of Moby (13:2:7). "The Great One Giveth and thenTaketh away: The Great One is an Indian Giver!"

Frayedknotarts my child thou art recently arrived. Fornicate off new one and display forth thou wife's breasts.

Frayedknotarts my child thou art recently arrived. Fornicate off new one and display forth thou wife's breasts.

He's either a fkn lawyer, or he's a ghostwriter for liberian princes internet scams. Either way, he is a (click) many coloured cloaked stranger to the exhalted one and know knot of what he speaketh save to enlighten the minions, spoil the Rod and spare his child. Though shall I walk through the valleys of rudderlessness, I shall take stock of the goodness surroundeth me, and know no evil for thine Rod and thy staff guidath me in the path of the righteously won. While crowhursts memory shines bright among us, forgetteth knot that devices of steerage, found wanting in times of great peril, oft cast us up amongst loafers and fishers in abundance. Sew sayeth the Oracle. Sew sayeth the congregation...

stop using quote so much pls? - you end up with really redundant threads... or just quote 1 line specifically, not the last post which quotes the last 6 people who quoted the long gibberish (sayeth the ORacle).

Well that looks a little better than my wild mental flights of fancy. I guess it would be OK on a Macgregor 26, but on a 65 ft cat, I just don't see that being man enough in any kind of sea or side load.

I await the next set of pics with interest.

Only the starboard side rudderstock seems equipped with push pull steering cable.The portside rudderstock has ordinary wire, with no cross bar or spring return. There is no way of ensuring that the portside rudderstock returns to the straight ahead position, unless water pressure can override cable friction and corrosion in the rudderstock pivot area.................................

>

Mystery solved but only raises more questions!

attachicon.gifDSC_0374_2.jpeg

I didn't intend to confuse people but apparently my other pictures of the steering gear raised some rather creative speculation on how the steering system would or would not opperate. The rudders do in fact move " to and fro " together under the direct "control" of the steering stations. There are no springs or other mystery actuators involved. Rather, the system is what might be called "pull-pull". The picture above should be pretty self explanatory. This is the port side and the starboard side looks pretty much the same I have my own concerns about this "system"and several of them involve what is going on below deck, but I will let you guys have at it for right now.

BTW yesterday I spent a good part of the afternoon touring the boat and talking at length with Hot Rod and his son. I took several pictures and will get them posted when I sort out a membership with flicker or? I am also going to compose another post prior to a further report on what I saw and experienced.

thanks again lilmurray!

please please please get those pics posted!

about the rudder, did he fabricate that himself or are those various pieces sourced from home depot/lowes/etc? it looks like it could be some piece from a gate or garage door. :D

Who needs a mirror if you're boat can do 25 knots, unless Hot Rod plans to tow skiers?

But a periscope just might be more useful.

I dont see that steering assembly coping with the loads for long,if at all. 4 wires on small radius sheaves with frequent backwards and forwards movement, Plus the varying tension caused by having to move in unbalanced arcs and the frictions below decks. A few dozen turns left and right, and the wires will be breaking down. Then what ? Where is the emergency steering ? The absence of rocker in the deep v hulls means that this thing will be a pig on rails to steer, so the rudder is really just ornamental anyway. Its going nowhere. A swampside condo, stuck up a creek somewhere with the ramp down, waiting for the animals 2 x 2. Thats all. It wont be long before the Hovians move in with their Koolaid dispenser..