65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

http://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1970/CSK-Catamaran-50%27-CATAMARAN-KETCH-2559043/United-States#.UaIN4Ot5Wqw

Probably could have got this for $48-50k, just down the road and would already be in Hawai...

It does beg the question if he looked at this and used it as his "influence"?

This Guy is just nuts... Seriously... Clamslapper, there is no way he will possibly use any conventional means to put it in the water.

LilMurray - Can you ask how much he has spent?

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

This is getting like the bad old days during the clear lake court case!

25 user(s) are reading this topic

22 members, 2 guests, 1 anonymous users

Life Buoy 15, zerothehero, MisterMoon, toddster, Chinook, Flaming, SOB, Somebody Else, Nursing Home Refugee, windsurfer, Schock & Awe, K38BOB, RandyM81, mhawley, hdra, bathtub, Owen, some dude, JohnN, Timmys_Trick_Turkey, bjalgera, skyeblue.

There's more than a few of us Woodenboat refugees here.....this has definately grown beyond SA. Thanks for the reports!

http://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1970/CSK-Catamaran-50%27-CATAMARAN-KETCH-2559043/United-States#.UaIN4Ot5Wqw

Probably could have got this for $48-50k, just down the road and would already be in Hawai...

This Guy is just nuts... Seriously... Clamslapper, there is no way he will possibly use any conventional means to put it in the water.

Sounds like so far LM has been the perfect correspondent. It would be rude to ask how much the guy has spent, unless the topic has already come up naturally in conversation.

Besides, I doubt the guy has any more clue about how much he's spent than he has a clue about pretty much anything else. The big cat is worth $6 million and gets a 4-star rating, what more do you need to know?

FB- Doug

Surely there are enough people on here that would be willing to crowdsource the funds required to get HR to splash this thing. In return for the $5 or $10 donation you would receive an advance copy of the video of the good ship flyin hawaiian being launched (say 24h before it is sent to youtube.) Any funds raised over the cost of the tow to the ramp will be given to LM to cover the cost of the day he is going to have to take off work to film this fiasco (or we can just hire someone or buy a ticket for Clean to cover this). Maybe a bottle of the cheapest bubbly available to christen the FH (or poke a hole in the hull as the case may be).

Takers?

I would have helped in many ways as would most others here.

Just not in the direction he went from day one

At the moment GOD is looking out for the Mom

And Darwin is Salavating over the Award Worthy effort H-R is putting in

This is getting like the bad old days during the clear lake court case!

25 user(s) are reading this topic

22 members, 2 guests, 1 anonymous users

Life Buoy 15, zerothehero, MisterMoon, toddster, Chinook, Flaming, SOB, Somebody Else, Nursing Home Refugee, windsurfer, Schock & Awe, K38BOB, RandyM81, mhawley, hdra, bathtub, Owen, some dude, JohnN, Timmys_Trick_Turkey, bjalgera, skyeblue.

There's more than a few of us Woodenboat refugees here.....this has definately grown beyond SA. Thanks for the reports!

I love that site. Lurked over it off and one for years, a little gunshy over registering there, seems a little strict compared to here.

If my strip-built skiff or one-sheet plan for my son ever get off the ground I hope to suck it up and register there.

Decent looking boat! It even comes with mirrors next to the bunks! For sure this would have been a far, far, far, far better solution. He could have used his woodworking talent to trim it out a little bit, and he'd basically have a perfectly safe boat that was designed and built by pros. Ugh. Silly.

Speaking of crowd-sourcing, how's about everybody drive on up there, encircle the boat, grab hold of the chines and lift on 3?

why should we rip the chines off ??

I doubt that such an attitude would have changed with such a petty thing as the launch process........ :rolleyes:

Sure, but that's all been complex marine engineering advice and structural analysis from SA experts.

Maybe he would have listened to a local trucky saying - "look mate, that's not a house, it a friggen mansion, its going to wobble like your motherinlaws tits and as soon as you try and move it your fucked".

Or maybe not

Amongst his many self professed qualifications, he's a licensed long haul trucker - he don't need no stinkin' advice.

I doubt that such an attitude would have changed with such a petty thing as the launch process........ :rolleyes:

Sure, but that's all been complex marine engineering advice and structural analysis from SA experts.

Maybe he would have listened to a local trucky saying - "look mate, that's not a house, it a friggen mansion, its going to wobble like your motherinlaws tits and as soon as you try and move it your fucked".

Or maybe not

Amongst his many self professed qualifications, he's a licensed long haul trucker - he don't need no stinkin' advice.

That has Nothing to do with how far that heap is going

H-R should call in sum Hippie Artizans and see if they could create a Silk Purse out of it

​I'm feeling better about Mom's future with every flex put on the pile whilst still in place

​Unless she's on it when it collapses :o

SA as a Whole

Is going to be the BIGGEST HORSES ASS

If this turns out to be yet another Sash Weight Virtual Adventure

by another (or the same) screen writing Sock Puppet(s)

and we've All been Duped Yet Again

What a SICK Fack the person to think that story up would have to be

Hell some still think we went to the Moon ;)

A trip to the airplane graveyard at Davis-Monthan could yield the landing gear of several Albatrosses which could then be built into the sides of the hulls. Rig one of the 9.9s to run hydraulics (since no boat that size needs TWO 9.9 horsepower engines) and a flip of the switch, gear goes down, then with a push from behind it's just a short coast to the ramp and into history!

A trip to the airplane graveyard at Davis-Monthan could yield the landing gear of several Albatrosses which could then be built into the sides of the hulls. Rig one of the 9.9s to run hydraulics (since no boat that size needs TWO 9.9 horsepower engines) and a flip of the switch, gear goes down, then with a push from behind it's just a short coast to the ramp and into history!

one is a blender

what H-R needs if he is going to stay with the "Pyramid of Pain"

Planter boxes all around sides, garage door on each end and a clothsline

Agreed, but it would be a shame to not get to see if it floats and/or is the least bit seaworthy. 100% of getting it launched without drama if the correct equipment is used. And I don't think the cost will be insane. Certainly I am happy to contribute to it if this HotRod chap wants to take up a collection.

Looks like a job for Big Dog Marine...

That's the only way this thread could get any better.

Maybe Lil' Murray can print out this thread, place it in a Pelican box, and find a place on the Flyin' Hawaiian to stow it out of sight. Kind of like a time capsule.

Lastly, I will say with all of the newberts here, there is a surprising shortage of ta-ta's.

Standing by.

Looks like a job for Big Dog Marine...

That's the only way this thread could get any better.

Maybe Lil' Murray can print out this thread, place it in a Pelican box, and find a place on the Flyin' Hawaiian to stow it out of sight. Kind of like a time capsule.

Lastly, I will say with all of the newberts here, there is a surprising shortage of ta-ta's.

Standing by.

Word Up

... ...

... ...

Why are you surprised by this?

Everybody's trying to get in without a ticket

And repeat, +1 on lilmurray's reporting

FB- Doug

... ...

... ...

Why are you surprised by this?

Everybody's trying to *get in without a ticket

And repeat, +1 on lilmurray's reporting

FB- Doug

*you sayin all the nOObs are Hot Rod sock puppets ???

Quick update on the Flyin H. I will post some more photos and address some questions later this evening.

Not much was done last night. Hot Rod sourced a Oxy Acetylene outfit and cut off the front portion of the trailer. As I reported earlier one of the options they were discussing was to relocate the 'A' frame of the tongue further back on the shortened trailer. As late as this morning that seemed to be the plan. However, it looks like they are not able to get their welder to the site so everything will be bolt on from here. This afternoon there is a new variation. A fourth trailer axel, complete with wheels and tires was located and the newest idea is to add it to the trailer far enough forward that there will be no weight at the tongue end at all. Hot Rod said once this is done he can " just drag the trailer with the Gradall, and splash this thing". I enquired about how he might do that. "We got all sorts of straps, chains, and other stuff around here." was his reply.

They might try something tonight. The tide will be high around 1:00 AM and the weather is predicted to deteriorate tomorrow afternoon. However, I'm not sure they have time to complete what they hope to, and they (Hot Rod, his friend, and Mike) look and sound pretty sleep deprived. Hot Rod also said he might have to make a run up to Butte County. A few days ago he also mentioned that if he can get the boat in the water the Yacht Club next to the ramp has offered him a short stay on their end tie at the usual rate. Thus, he could wait and try to launch even if the weather is less than perfect and not have to go directly into the bay. So it could be another couple days before the next attempt. I plan to go by the marina tonight around 11:30 to see if anything is stirring.

A fourth trailer axel, complete with wheels and tires was located and the newest idea is to add it to the trailer far enough forward that there will be no weight at the tongue end at all. Hot Rod said once this is done he can " just drag the trailer with the Gradall, and splash this thing". I enquired about how he might do that. "We got all sorts of straps, chains, and other stuff around here." was his reply.

I'll be interested to hear how he manages turning the thing.......I gather from the earlier overheads that he has a few corners and tight areas to negotiate...???

But hey, if he's a licensed trucky perhaps he does know more than the rest of us......... :blink:

does NOT matter what ideas he has or gets

FAIL

Once in the water if he made it (to any degree)

he would begin trying to find a way to get that MoFo back on to dry land

But if he Really haz to go away from where evolution haz adapted him to survive

Hell we can't stop him

So might ass well sing a song about it .................... eh

http://youtu.be/F3CX_pryc1A

People keep comparing this to the Tin Can.

For an endeavor that is so fundamentally similar, it is so very different.

Similarities include -

Both guys knowing they were doing things different than the norm, and believing they knew enough to do it anyway.

Both guys would not take or could not get advice from professionals.

But ahh the differences -

This boat has no engineering.

Tin can can had an overabundance of "engineering." But it was all wrong.

This boat has no structure.

Tin can had an over abundance of "structure." But he had no concept of material properties. (His welded aluminum scaffolding would snap in the slightest swells.)

This boat has far too much freeboard and windage.

Tin can had more structure than buoyancy, it had almost no hulls and far too much scaffolding. Its LWL was nearly at the submerged point.

This boat is built of materials that are not compatible with wet environments.

Tin can was all welded aluminum, which is not bad for a boat.

But there is one more big difference.

Hot Rod is following his dream on his own dime. As far as we know it's his money he is most certainly about to lose.

Tin Can's failed attempt was all other people's money.

So, I give HRod the nod for integrity.

But I gotta wonder if maybe TinCanGuy was smarter, after all he didn't lose his 'own' life's savings...

People keep comparing this to the Tin Can.

For an endeavor that is so fundamentally similar, it is so very different.

Similarities include -

Both guys knowing they were doing things different than the norm, and believing they knew enough to do it anyway.

Both guys would not take or could not get advice from professionals.

But ahh the differences -

This boat has no engineering.

Tin can can had an overabundance of "engineering." But it was all wrong.

This boat has no structure.

Tin can had an over abundance of "structure." But he had no concept of material properties. (His welded aluminum scaffolding would snap in the slightest swells.)

This boat has far too much freeboard and windage.

Tin can had more structure than buoyancy, it had almost no hulls and far too much scaffolding. Its LWL was nearly at the submerged point.

This boat is built of materials that are not compatible with wet environments.

Tin can was all welded aluminum, which is not bad for a boat.

But there is one more big difference.

Hot Rod is following his dream on his own dime. As far as we know it's his money he is most certainly about to lose.

Tin Can's failed attempt was all other people's money.

So, I give HRod the nod for integrity.

But I gotta wonder if maybe TinCanGuy was smarter, after all he didn't lose his 'own' life's savings...

I hope you are correct and H-R is not Blowing has not Blown through Mom's nest egg 100% +

Rule of Thumb

It takes WAY THE FACK MORE TOW VEHICLE

to Pull out a Boat (that weighs the same) than to get it to and down the ramp

Anything filling w water will require Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay More "EVERYTHING" to pull it out !!

H-R should just drive to Key West

Hot Rod said once this is done he can " just drag the trailer with the Gradall, and splash this thing". I enquired about how he might do that. "We got all sorts of straps, chains, and other stuff around here." was his reply.

Timmy T turkey has this guy's number. Calls HR's next move a day before the thought occurs to HR himself. Well Done.

Posted 25 May, 11:04 PM

"I reckon he will just borrow a length of 20k pounds breaking strain chain or many lengths of anchor rope, wrap it around the spring hangers when it gets too dark for anyone to see and just tow it , flat tyres and all, commando style. By the time anyone wakes up and sees the damage, he will either be long gone, or still be sitting where he currently is, with a blown transmission."

Hot Rod said once this is done he can " just drag the trailer with the Gradall, and splash this thing". I enquired about how he might do that. "We got all sorts of straps, chains, and other stuff around here." was his reply.

Timmy T turkey has this guy's number. Calls HR's next move a day before the thought occurs to HR himself. Well Done.

Posted 25 May, 11:04 PM

"I reckon he will just borrow a length of 20k pounds breaking strain chain or many lengths of anchor rope, wrap it around the spring hangers when it gets too dark for anyone to see and just tow it , flat tyres and all, commando style. By the time anyone wakes up and sees the damage, he will either be long gone, or still be sitting where he currently is, with a blown transmission."

Look --> here <--

since so many t&a requests are made ...

here

my sailor girl

4069629731_82401226a2_d.jpg

That's not quite good enough Dirc. This shot looks like it was taken as soon as she arrived at the fire station. The ones we are looking for would have been taken about 10 minutes later...

Speaking of crowd-sourcing, how's about everybody drive on up there, encircle the boat, grab hold of the chines and lift on 3?

Not me. I don't want to be named an accomplice to HotRod's manslaughter charge when the thing falls on someone. I don't even want to be an unindicted co-conspirator. This project is "unsafe at no speed."

Right you are JJ, somebody could get hurt real bad if they try to move that thing. Hotrod just had his first setback trying to defy gravity, and there are more to come. Very dangerous situation!! And it sounds like he's working against an end of the month deadline to get out of there. This is serious stuff. He won't get very far the way he's going about it. Where's the Transporter when you need him.

Assuming....and that is asking a lot....that the trailer can be lifted and "just dragged", doesn't he at some point have to actually "push" the trailer? Or does he plan to ride to ride it all, Gradall first, down the ramp?

I see this all coming to an end once he has to navigate the 4" curb which surrounds his little island of madness. I think at this point it all collapses like a house of cards.

And I'm not entirely sure that I don't see a speedbump another 20-30 yards past the curb.

..................OR is this lilmurray teasing all of us....

No joke, boat splashed at about 2:45 AM local time. I am now home and too tired to do anything but sleep right now. I'll get a few photos up when I awake.

Boat is in the water. Transport and launch largely uneventful. Darkness made photography very difficult. Have some limited stills and video. Will post a full report in a few hours.

\o/

curious to see how far off his waterline is / bottompaint thing

4612145743_5713f0297e.jpg

Boat is in the water. Transport and launch largely uneventful. Darkness made photography very difficult. Have some limited stills and video. Will post a full report in a few hours.

Don't you mean "The Yacht" is in the water?

Looking forward to your launch report.

At last!!!! Regardless of what may be to come, which we'll no doubt find out soon enough, how did it look on its lines in the water? Did it seem to be floating evenly? High? Low? Upside down?

Good on ya Hotrod!

Hope it stays afloat...

Now go and get a manager, cause people are paying millions to be associated with A.C. boats, and going back a year, your thread has only had more views by 6 A.C. threads, get a hardware store to sponsor you and park your boat on the city front. CLASSIC.

Go the Hot Rod. That guy has done more for the sport of sailing than the AC. The trickle down of technology from this great accomplishment will bring sailing to the masses. Carbon Fiber? Pffffttttt! 2X4s, son. 2X4s are all you need!

Here is the plan. HD holes up in the Delta for a while. After a freak gust destroys the last 2 AC72s into sodden heaps of crumpled carbon fiber, he sails out and demands the Cup, as Flyin Hawaiian has just become the biggest, baddest cat on the Bay.

In one peice? Damn, I lost a bet. When you say in the water do you mean on top?

Here is the plan. HD holes up in the Delta for a while. After a freak gust destroys the last 2 AC72s into sodden heaps of crumpled carbon fiber, he sails out and demands the Cup, as Flyin Hawaiian has just become the biggest, baddest cat on the Bay.

Maybe HR is a front for Ernesto Bertarelli!

Assuming....and that is asking a lot....that the trailer can be lifted and "just dragged", doesn't he at some point have to actually "push" the trailer? Or does he plan to ride to ride it all, Gradall first, down the ramp?

I see this all coming to an end once he has to navigate the 4" curb which surrounds his little island of madness. I think at this point it all collapses like a house of cards.

And I'm not entirely sure that I don't see a speedbump another 20-30 yards past the curb.

Made me laugh because I thought the same thing, but I don't have the mind of comic to put it into words.

The driver of the Gradall and the machine had to sacrifice themselves for the plywood boat spirits. They're under there now, at the edge of the ramp. Maybe that was the mother-in-law's job?

Excited about lilmurray's post, Swan's box has nothing on this.

Go the Hot Rod. That guy has done more for the sport of sailing than the AC. The trickle down of technology from this great accomplishment will bring sailing to the masses. Carbon Fiber? Pffffttttt! 2X4s, son. 2X4s are all you need!

Sailing? All he's accomplished, so far, is floating. Let's let time take its course for more than just a couple of hours... And then the trickle might become a torrent!

Just saw the pic. Not bad, but does it look alittle stern heavy?? Listing a bit to port?? Seems as if the mizzen shrouds are alittle slack and does the main beam under the flag look alittle wonky?? Have we seen them open the sliding door??

How long should it take for all the seams to swell shut? They do that on a wood boat right?

I gotta see this thing sail. Anybody want to put some odds on a collision with this thing? Can't imagine you could see a thing from either helm.

Sailing? All he's accomplished, so far, is floating. Let's let time take its course for more than just a couple of hours... And then the trickle might become a torrent!

Relax; most of the commentaters (including myself) didn't think HR would get this far. Oh wait, is it really floating, or still sitting on the trailer?

I expect to see a D-I-Y boat-building course at Home Depot before long.

FB- Doug

Okay, I know everybody is impatient. Here is a quick photo from last night showing the boat in the water. I have a lot to sort through, I want to get a write up togther while my thoughts are still fresh and I want to go down to the marina and get some photos in the daylight.

post-98603-0-75905200-1369675642_thumb.jpeg

I would head straight to StFYC and tell the Hottest Young Thing

"I HAVE A BRAND NEW 65' KAT Just Splashed by the Light of the Full Moon

and take the long way around the bay to maximize the opportunity of the drive :rolleyes:

Guess yud have to rent better Kar, Clothes & smell after working for 3 daz w/o a break

But ya gutta give him credit for a Million Dollars of Improvements

to the area he left :)

I figured it would float but am shocked to see it so close to its lines, I thought the bottom paint would need to be 8" higher all around.

So, its a boat. Hawaii bound? I still think not.

Fuck...me...dead!

As we go into the bottom of the first inning...

Hotrod 1, SA 0

------- word-------

I figured it would float but am shocked to see it so close to its lines, I thought the bottom paint would need to be 8" higher all around.

Please remember that he has pulled most of the heavy stuff of the boat and put it in the can.

Let's see how the lines go after the (re)provisioning.

Even with this, I am still slapping my face in shock at how 'normal' it seems.

GS

It's pretty close to the back-of-the-envelope calculation I did. But that's not necessarily a good thing, given the relatively low density of wood, it suggests that perhaps the hulls are still underbuilt and as Gong Show notes, they haven't provisioned it.

Still, he got it built, splashed it, maybe he'll keep surprising. Maybe I can find an old solar desalination unit to send him.

...Hawaii,,probably not,,,,

......but now it's floating,,it's potential to take a life just increased 1000fold!! :blink::unsure:

" 'Tis strange but true; and truth is stranger than fiction."

Note that it is floating in a dead flat mill pond calm. Also note that although it is floating very close to it's DWL, they lightened the hell out of it to launch. What happens when they load it back up with stores, gear, etc?

I will give the guy an 'A' for gumption, however. I still don't think it will end well.

Well, if he adds another foot or 18" to that waterline, and paints it up, it should sit pretty nicely in the water when loaded up.

He'll have to add more weight forward of course to get a straight line, but its surprizingly close as is.

I still say it falls apart in 4 foot diagonal chop :unsure: