65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

cost gard ? Is that us ? How do we go head ? Ok, its time for HR to open up the foil lined master suite to the world. Why should all the fun be in the son ?

Cost gard is that dude that checks your card when you enter Costco.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/06/04/dominos-pizza-is-testing-pizza-delivery-drones/

If you read the Domino's drone story, you will find a reference to the Flying Hawaiian... Looks like we could have found Rod a sponsor.

Good find! But a better sponsor would be the makers of Thorazine, treatment for delusional disorders. Like when someone sticks to wild beliefs in spite of overwhelming evidence to he contrary. I recommend the family pack.

The sad thing is that people have been building boats for some 140,000 years and HR&family have chosen to disregard that body of knowledge, instead they trumphet their adventurous spirit...

My grandmother had a saying, "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"

I have a feeling that Hot Rod isn't going to regret this. He did what we've all done, he built a shitty boat. But he did it bigger and shittier than any of us. ... .. ... ...

By the way, my shitty boat was made with pvc pipe and 6 mil plastic sheeting. It was marginally safer than HR's boat because one tends not to install 120 VAC on a kayak.

Geez, no... Not you wofmeister... That's what I have been trying to say for a wee bit... Go the Rod! How can we make this possible? Cheaper Gunboats for everyone, ok, just me... We should be all about the dream... Hell, I have a lot of sprouts and cheese aboard already. I just need some Soy Sauce.

Yep, all in favor of The Dream and anarchy.

This is not about dreaming, it's about shitting in everybody else's yard. I built some crappy boats, but they were small and easy to clean up after, and I learned from them. HotRod hasn't learned a darn thing, and seems to arrogantly declare that he already knows everything anyway. He's pissed away a lot of money on a totally worthless "boat" which would be fine except that 1- if he leaves the dock somebody is going to have assume the risk of rescuing him 2- the expense of said rescue will be paid by others 3- the expense of cleaning up the sodden remains of the "boat" will be paid by others 4- the utter failure will be one more tag on a list of why we boaters need more regulation & guv'mint oversight.

I don't have a problem with failing big. I have a problem with fucking other people over while you refuse to pay attention to what you're doing, and calling it "A Dream."

FB- Doug

What do you think the total amount of funds HR has 'invested' in this thing as of now? (not labor, carriage bolts and 2x4's only...)

I'm guessing he goes through his entire SSI check multiplied by at least 36 months. In the USA, if you at bat shit crazy, the federal govt gives you about $900 per month for life.

"Well that has to be taken up with the the inspectors who have been out many times. Do you realy think they would have passed it? If so maybe the public should try to change that. With all the eyes on this project do you really think that no one has showed up? Fire dept,police dept,cost gard, boat inspectors, and the public. everyone has had there eye on it. All the restrictions that are already in place. would they just say yes go [/size]head. And if there where no sinking boat all ready big little pro built or not these people whould be standing in an unemployment line not wanting for my father to sink. so you have your pros and cons to everything."[/size]

All ready big little pro built? Someone help me out here. Snaggy, is that you?

My attempt at translation: if it hasn't allready sunk, it must be ok. It doesn't matter if it is a big or little boat, or if it was built by a professional or not. (-- I'm a little rusty, but I used to translate for brain damaged meth heads and their offspring)

Romex bump lilmurray.

I nearly fell out of the chair laughing at myself when I read this. Having just posted what I thought to be a reflective and somewhat philosophical response directed in part to some of Hot Rod’s strongest defenders (#2400) I read that it’s the Romex photos that people want. I guess this has become my lot here on SA. Yes, the electrical post is coming and though it may turn out to be anticlimactic in the end , I will make the post and others on the steering system and rig.

A friend of mine, an Aussie, told me a story about eating in a restaurant in Bali and overhearing a customer at the next table bitching about how long he had to wait for his food. A few minutes later the chef, a huge Samoan looking guy with an austere ponytail came out of the kitchen in a stained apron holding a cleaver. The fellow walked up to the table, towering over the complaining customer, crossed his rather massive arms and said in a loud voice audible to everyone in the place "Good food take Time!" He then turned and walked back into the kitchen and nothing further was heard. My friend did say that the food was great, and next time I see him, if I remember, I’ll ask him the name of the place. What does this have to do with anything? Maybe nothing, but I do like the story.

(BTW Thanks ‘ Dirc’ for the kind words)

lilmurray... take your time making the food post on Romex. This thread has been all over the place during its meandering 25 pages, and no worries if you take it for a prosaic stroll before getting us back on track. And thanks, btw, for your insights and commentary.

But, remember to feed the beast! With pics!

"Well that has to be taken up with the the inspectors who have been out many times. Do you realy think they would have passed it? If so maybe the public should try to change that. With all the eyes on this project do you really think that no one has showed up? Fire dept,police dept,cost gard, boat inspectors, and the public. everyone has had there eye on it. All the restrictions that are already in place. would they just say yes go [/size]head. And if there where no sinking boat all ready big little pro built or not these people whould be standing in an unemployment line not wanting for my father to sink. so you have your pros and cons to everything."[/size]

All ready big little pro built? Someone help me out here. Snaggy, is that you?

My attempt at translation: if it hasn't allready sunk, it must be ok. It doesn't matter if it is a big or little boat, or if it was built by a professional or not. (-- I'm a little rusty, but I used to translate for brain damaged meth heads and their offspring)

Thanks Bro. You most definitely have some serious language skills. I had no f'ing clue what this guy (do we know this is a guy?) was saying. I'm sure there are some subtleties that were lost in the translation, but I think I get the general gist. Thanks.

Gotta say, big kudos to Hotrod for taking in a foreign exchange student and teaching him how things work here in America. That can't be easy, especially while you're building a bigass cat.

Found this for HR Jr., it might help

http://youtu.be/XoiRiDZVNIw

Romex bump lilmurray.

I read that it’s the Romex photos that people want. I guess this has become my lot here on SA.

Tits, Romax, or carriage bolts. A picture of something exploding might keep us busy for a while.

Have you ever been on one of those sailboat thingies?

How's you duct tape/kids missing leg/stick thing coming along?

a) what's a sailboat? assumed this forum was about the overthrowing of political order and creation of a lawless free for all of rape and pillage

b ) now you're not making any sense at all.

1. My last sailboat, was the one on which VwaP was conceived upon, after that I figured I better not push my luck.

2. He's talking about a pissy little post where some show off soldiers carried some disabled kid in a road race after his prosthesis broke, carrying this 60 lb. kid over the finish line as if they had just hauled across sacks of cannonballs. The kid was interviewed as saying he would have preferred to finish the race on his own, so I dared to suggest that the show-offs could have perhaps kept the attention on the kid rather than themselves by fixing his broken prosthesis with some duct tape and a stick. (I was once able to repair a broken Enduro with duct tape and a roofing nail.) VwaP's insectoid brain latched onto this as hilarious, and is typical for people with tiny imaginations, cursed by the hobgoblin of low-intelligence, he keeps bringing it up every few weeks, each time chuckling to himself as he gently cries himself to sleep over the sock monkey his grandmother gave him.

VwaP is a gentle, lost soul, we try to take it easy on him, we never know when he's going to snap again like he did that time at the 1996 World Exposition.

Geez, no... Not you wofmeister... That's what I have been trying to say for a wee bit... Go the Rod! How can we make this possible? Cheaper Gunboats for everyone, ok, just me... We should be all about the dream... Hell, I have a lot of sprouts and cheese aboard already. I just need some Soy Sauce.

I'll wager that's how this whole thing happened. Hot Rod was poring over an issue of Latitudes, drooling over the Gunboat 66 like the rest of us normal humans, and suddenly this horrible little thought popped into his head ... "$4.2 million? For that? Why sheeit it's just a bunch of drywall screws and CDX plywood, I could make that thing for $50 grand, tops."

His boat reminds me of the Eddie Murphy sketch ...

Good old Cruisers Form response to trying to visit their No Ugly Catamarans thread

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

Fark that place sounds like no fun at all...

All of us guys at Florida University love having sex with men.

See. They don't know what they are missing....

well I've got nothing for ole Rod Moe but English isn't exactly my first language, and its a bitch, so if I fuck it up a bit, piss off, cause I bet even some of you folks who grew up on it screw it up plenty yourselves.

I gotta say tho its nice to find a place were peeps laugh at the ludicrous suggestions that there's some form of legal issue in taking up a public interest story and running with it. Again there is no right to privacy in public and if there's anyplace public its setting up right smack in front of a strip mall smack in the middle of a public marina. Sorry Rod Moe, fam and friends but get over it. You stuck your ass out in public and public had a good laugh.

The deal is its only liable if its not true.

I believe I posted a while back about a medical professionals ability to declare someone a danger to themselves and others, well I am becoming more and more convinced that this specifically applies to both Rod Moe and his extended family. Darwin would be feeling quite vindicated right about now. Obviously intelligence and the inclination to survive is clearly hereditary, although I thing he'd wright a new chapter subtitled cultural devolution to describe this level of intellectual regression.

Whats really important to realize tho throughout this whole thing is that its a blazing perfect example of just how not to go about building ones dream. lest that dream become a nightmare. Something we all, who are hoping to build a retirement yacht eventually, could use to well remember.

Hire a bloody naval architect, buy the right materials, realize you don't know every bloody thing about building, and at least make some attempt to not endanger the surrounding bits and pieces of humanity.

Oh and Rod Moe if your listening, drag that thing back ashore and scrap it. You've got zero right to endanger anyone but yourself, which is exactly what you do every moment that thing remains in the water.

Oh and while I 'm on a role

show us your tits ;-)

Up in the Northeast and I suspect in other areas as well use of a dock, private club or marina, normally requires proof of suitable insurance. I can’t imagine any underwriter would ever deem this POS as seaworthy let alone a good risk to underwrite so how is this thing allowed to tie up? If the FH is not insured by a company perhaps the builder is self insuring the boat but to do that I would imagine he would need over a million in cash sitting in an account.

Everyone knows someone without insurance but as a club or marina owner wouldn’t you want to assure this thing is insured? Salvaging an O’day 22 without insurance is one thing but this POS is going to fall apart and the environmental impact and resulting effort to mitigate the damage and remove the timber could be substantial. It’s not a matter of IF the FH is going to fall apart; it’s a matter of how fast. If the owner is not insured and chooses to act with reckless disregard by failing to properly safeguard the shipping lanes, environment, and other vessels he would be liable for the losses.

If I were him I would be very concerned about where this thing is going to go down as the economic losses from a catastrophic failure of the boat could be considerable and the criminal charges that would result could be a very scary thing. Let’s remember, mom is not getting around the way she did when she was 50. If she goes down with the ship manslaughter charges are sure to follow. You had better believe that the prosecutor would subpoena the Sailing Anarchy records to prove HR was reading every word of this yet continued with his reckless behavior.

At this point, is there any way to save the guy from himself? Do we have a responsibility as a community to do something?

I'm bored so I decided to take a crack at the costs. Let me start off by saying I'm not a contractor, naval architect, regular architect, or anything related to using wood to build shit.

I'm assuming that the hulls are 7 feet tall (anyone know?), 65 feet long, the 2x4 are 4 feet on center, so there are 65*7 feet of them in the sides of the hulls. That's 455 feet. The top of the hulls has another set of 4 feet on center, maybe 4 feet wide, 65*2/4 is another 130. We're at 585 feet. In the bridge deck let's say they're again 4 feet on center, and 8 feet tall. The bridge deck is maybe 55 feet long and 26(?) feet across. So that's 55*2+26*2 all divided by 4, times 8 for the walls. 325 feet for the walls. Maybe 55*26/4 for the ceiling? That's another 360 feet for the ceiling and another 360 for the floor.. Call it 1650 feet overall so far. Now we have the plywood. There's 65*6*6 or so square feet in the hulls, and another (55+26)*2*8+(55*26)*2 for the bridge deck walls, ceiling, and floor. That all comes out to 2340 + 1300 + 2860, or 6500 square feet of plywood.

Let's throw in about 20 gallons of west system epoxy, maybe a few hundred square feet of fiberglass mat, a couple hundred carriage bolts, and about 2000 galvanized screws.

1650 feet of 2x4 KD stud at Home Depot is around $4 per foot. That's $6600 for the lumber.

2x4 ft of 3/8 plywood is $10. So that's around $1.25/sq foot. That's about $8200 for plywood.

Looks like West System is around $120/gallon for resin and hardener. $2400 for epoxy.

About a dollar a foot for fiberglass mat, so let's say $500 for fiberglass.

Maybe $2/carriage bolt and $0.10 per screw. Probably $200 for screws and another $500 for bolts.

That's about $18000. Add in some contingency and the stuff I missed, and I think you're around $25000 in materials.

I could be way off, but that's not as much as I was thinking he spent.

I'm bored so I decided to take a crack at the costs. Let me start off by saying I'm not a contractor, naval architect, regular architect, or anything related to using wood to build shit.

I'm assuming that the hulls are 7 feet tall (anyone know?), 65 feet long, the 2x4 are 4 feet on center, so there are 65*7 feet of them in the sides of the hulls. That's 455 feet. The top of the hulls has another set of 4 feet on center, maybe 4 feet wide, 65*2/4 is another 130. We're at 585 feet. In the bridge deck let's say they're again 4 feet on center, and 8 feet tall. The bridge deck is maybe 55 feet long and 26(?) feet across. So that's 55*2+26*2 all divided by 4, times 8 for the walls. 325 feet for the walls. Maybe 55*26/4 for the ceiling? That's another 360 feet for the ceiling and another 360 for the floor.. Call it 1650 feet overall so far. Now we have the plywood. There's 65*6*6 or so square feet in the hulls, and another (55+26)*2*8+(55*26)*2 for the bridge deck walls, ceiling, and floor. That all comes out to 2340 + 1300 + 2860, or 6500 square feet of plywood.

Let's throw in about 20 gallons of west system epoxy, maybe a few hundred square feet of fiberglass mat, a couple hundred carriage bolts, and about 2000 galvanized screws.

1650 feet of 2x4 KD stud at Home Depot is around $4 per foot. That's $6600 for the lumber.

2x4 ft of 3/8 plywood is $10. So that's around $1.25/sq foot. That's about $8200 for plywood.

Looks like West System is around $120/gallon for resin and hardener. $2400 for epoxy.

About a dollar a foot for fiberglass mat, so let's say $500 for fiberglass.

Maybe $2/carriage bolt and $0.10 per screw. Probably $200 for screws and another $500 for bolts.

That's about $18000. Add in some contingency and the stuff I missed, and I think you're around $25000 in materials.

I could be way off, but that's not as much as I was thinking he spent.

And that for a boat worth 'MILLIONS OF DOLLARS' - HR must be a genius!!!

A 8' 2X4 hem fir stud is just under $3 and that's per stud. A full 4X8 sheet of 3/8 CDX is around $16 to $20 and I had to check online because that size is an odd duck and I can't recall using it in my 40 years in the business. Normally I know close to the prices of all basic building materials. I've used 1/2" CDX and larger for sure. Everyone uses OSB now and it is just about half the price.

A 8' 2X4 hem fir stud is just under $3 and that's per stud. A full 4X8 sheet of 3/8 CDX is around $16 to $20 and I had to check online because that size is an odd duck and I can't recall using it in my 40 years in the business. Normally I know close to the prices of all basic building materials. I've used 1/2" CDX and larger for sure. Everyone uses OSB now and it is just about half the price.

Yes but HR's long experience in boat building and naval architecture has correctly informed him that OSB is contra indicated for boat building. That stuff gets wet and you'll never make it past the first island

There's a lot of nice shots of it here http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bradfordmarineyachtsales.com/images/yachtsales/yacht-sales-65-hugh-saint-miss-osb/yacht-sales-65-hugh-saint-aft.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bradfordmarineyachtsales.com/yacht-sales-65-hugh-saint-motor-yacht.html&usg=__KK0JYWCpl6np64Nb8bEfu1Civ9Q=&h=287&w=432&sz=61&hl=en&start=10&sig2=iN-gBTvFB8AAO_a1-A8vRQ&zoom=1&tbnid=FXbkyYLKkbnjzM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=126&ei=00yvUeSnDsi3ywG-vIHYCQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmiss%2Bosb%2Byacht%26um%3D1%26sa%3DN%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&sa=X&ved=0CD4QrQMwCQ

I believe the construction cost was about 4+ million and the final sale price was about 3 million. A very well done build. So Hey Rod Moe, I'm not sue I'm seeing a comparison. Both make a dent in the water I guess, but thats about it shipmate. And what is the procedure for getting insurance on something like a custom built yacht ? I'd think there would have to be a fairly rigorous inspection process and there's no way ole Rod Moe would be able to pass as far as I can see. So no insurance later and what are his options ? Don't most marina's require insurance ?

$25,000?

Rational person - "that would buy me a tidy Westsail 32, let's see, http://www.westsail.com/forsale/easygoer.htm - Job done. Let's load her up and set sail for Hawaii!"

Hot Rod - "I know boats. I'm a master craftsman. I built a pigsty once. I've studied THOUSANDS of boat plans! I can build a 70ft ocean-worthy cat with materials from a DIY store and stuff I find lying about. Why is everyone else wasting their time building boats so well? How hard can it be?"

What a monumental, total, abysmal, mindblowingly pigheaded thick witted arrogant dork this man is. Oddly enough, he comes across on the videos as an OK guy.

There's a lot of nice shots of it here http://www.google.co...ved=0CD4QrQMwCQ

I believe the construction cost was about 4+ million and the final sale price was about 3 million. A very well done build. So Hey Rod Moe, I'm not sue I'm seeing a comparison. Both make a dent in the water I guess, but thats about it shipmate. And what is the procedure for getting insurance on something like a custom built yacht ? I'd think there would have to be a fairly rigorous inspection process and there's no way ole Rod Moe would be able to pass as far as I can see. So no insurance later and what are his options ? Don't most marina's require insurance ?

The boat was built for wealthy guy from Canada in the business of making,..................wait for it...................OSB. You can read a little about it on the builder's website: http://www.saintcustomboats.com/MissOSB.html.

BTW the client never took delivery because he went bankrupt in the housing crash.

You had better believe that the prosecutor would subpoena the Sailing Anarchy records to prove HR was reading every word of this yet continued with his reckless behavior.

Do we know that El Roderino has seen this thread? Sorry, haven't got time to read through 25 pages...

You too can live the dream, HR is taking applications for full time live-aboards.

http://www.squidoo.com/living-their-dream

http://www.squidoo.com/living-their-dream/156365811

(Translating son's comment from meth-ese, "we latched" -means "we launched")

It's been pretty windy and rough the past few days here in the Bay, I know they are feeling it, even in the relative calm of the marina. Here's a photo from Sunday June 2, 2013

post-63290-0-69295000-1370449216_thumb.jpg

You know, just the other day I was saying to my wife, "wife, you know what my dream is? I want to lay on the bottom of San Fransisco Bay with a gas range on top of me." Maybe I should join them.

You know, just the other day I was saying to my wife, "wife, you know what my dream is? I want to lay on the bottom of San Fransisco Bay with a gas range on top of me." Maybe I should join them.

You owe me a keyboard...

Thanks Kai! I think that would be a good guess... Don't forget the sweet grill, slider, those high tech carbon rigs, blue tarp code 0 from motherinlawsailmakersinternational, diamond plate, radar, 2 minikota trolling motors, and the kitchen sink *literally* :blink: . I would say he's got close to his estimated 22.3 million into it...

You too can live the dream, HR is taking applications for full time live-aboards.

It's been pretty windy and rough the past few days here in the Bay, I know they are feeling it, even in the relative calm of the marina. Here's a photo from Sunday June 2, 2013

Making their dreams come Ture - how fucking perfect is THAT!

A simple garden shed will cost you about $10 per sq. ft in materials not including labor so this floating 3200 sq. ft. shed should have cost about $32,000. I'm figuring about double or triple that when you include those fancy rudders.

I can't find that news video of HR installing screws. If he is using SS screws then the standard magnetic tip holders won't work and he would have to use something else. If he is putting in standard philips head screws this way then they must be the standard cheap zinc coated steel ones. You can make a fresh tip hold a non-magnetic screws but after you ream that tip just a little which always happens then the screw will fall off. So where's that vid?

I posted the reference to the OSB boat first. Do i get a prize?

Uh oh - field trip!!!

Ok, so I did forget all the non-wooden bits. Let's ballpark that real quick. Gas range - $1000. Other kitchen stuff, cabinets, etc, $1500. Wire stays, $500, rope $500, "sails" $no idea, "masts" $200? Outboards $500? "Tanks", $500? Xbox360 and games $300, TV, $200, grill, $100, windows (yet to be installed) $500, patio door $200, veranda roof thing, $100. Radar $500, diamond plate $50. Rudders, wheels, pedastals, etc, etc. Yeah, it goes on and on.

Maybe an extra $5k or so? So maybe $30k total?

You can get a decent actual bluewater boat for $30k, and it won't take 2 or 3 years of two people working full time. If he actually worked instead, he and his son could probably have scraped together $100k and bought something pretty darn nice. My parents happen to have a Kelly Peterson 44 in great shape for sale for a little over $100k. You could drop it off a 4 story building and it would be fine. This boat won't make it off a 4 foot wave. What a waste of time and money.

I wonder if this might be Government Backed in some way

to get someone to build something so Obliviously WRONG in every way

So we'll accept (even ask for) Being Government Regulated and Inspected Yearly

YES at a Fee that returns a Profit = Will always cost more each year !!

"WE" are kinda self regulated

and it's expected that we have No Death Wish as we Maintain - Prep Operate and our Rides

H-R is Off the Chart

I have a Looooooong and Funny Story about a CG-Augzilliest

who called in to Condemn me YACHT and Terminate my Riding along a few miles off shore

A USCG Chopper flew out and did a couple Circles Real Low around me YACHT (yes DA-WOODY in 1992)

Pilot Smiled waved and gave me a Big Thumbs UP and pealed off & away and the CG-Augzilliest left w/o contact

I called USCG the next day to see WTF that was all about

The Gyu on phone was on Radio the day before and got the call to Arrest Me to Save my Life :o

Turns out same Guy was on a USCG Cutter riding into SD Bay after an AC Race

when a (20'?) Bow-Rider Got Swamped next to me as we hit a Big Swell

I picked up my Radio to call for help as it wasn't a good place for to stop

I looked to my left and a Good sized USCG Cutter was right there and saw the whole thing

well the Guy on the Bridge waved to me that they had it under control = YES it Was The Same Guy

So guy on phone told me he was along side when the other boat swamped and I was Fine

and when he got the Call and the Ass described me YACHT as Un-Seaworthy he sent the Chopper to see if it was me

I later learned the Guy who tried to Fuck my Day was Called in and No-Longer allowed to Fuck w People

That's a TRUE STORY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK,

So I clicked on the top link. In the "related pages" pop up I get a link to "Find Sunken Treasure". Must me bad juju.

And:

"But James, the father, and Michael, the son, aren't only are they living our dream but they are even going so far as to build their ow boat in which to do it"

Funny story woody,

I offer an opinion that the Coast guard is not responsible for inspecting and verifying that every boat on the water meets some sort of structural or seakeeping requirements. They should make sure all boats are registered, lighted, and equipped with safety gear. (lifejackets, flares, horn, fire extinguisher) Failure in those areas makes them a danger to other out on the water.

The coast guard does offer to certify a boat or design. The designs can by certified by the Coast Guard Office of Design and Engineering Standards. Submit your design pay the fee and get your certification. If you want to take it to the next step you can certify the boats by allowing Coast Guard inspectors to inspect your facilities, manufacturing methods, quality methods, and the boat you want certified. Boats I had certified (lifeboats) then had to pass performance tests; as they should if you need a lifeboat the damn thing better work. All of the above adds cost to the boat and gets you a hull sticker, maybe some piece of mind. In my opinion, totally unnecessary for the recreational market.

A quality builder will design to pass the CG requirements just not pay the fee. If there is no certified design why bother with an inspection. If some puts crap out on the market well its buyer beware. Likewise is someone build their own boat you could buy a certified design, pay for the inspectors; and end up with a certified boat. Probably cost 5 times as much. Otherwise you could buy plans from a known designer (Farrier), build to the plans and have a nice boat for a lower cost than buying from a boat builder.

Well here in M’erica we can design and build our own boat. So long as we have the required safety gear we can use and enjoy our creation. Of course if I was to spend $30,000 on materials you think I’d spend $20 on book on yacht design.

51OjdFRvqRL._SY300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Yacht-Design-3rd-Edition/dp/0071487697

Then I could put my $30k in materials together in a way that won't end up looking like tidal wave debris.

I can't find that news video of HR installing screws. If he is using SS screws then the standard magnetic tip holders won't work and he would have to use something else. If he is putting in standard philips head screws this way then they must be the standard cheap zinc coated steel ones. You can make a fresh tip hold a non-magnetic screws but after you ream that tip just a little which always happens then the screw will fall off. So where's that vid?

I posted the reference to the OSB boat first. Do i get a prize?

Hard to tell from the photos, but they look like "primeguard" coated deck screws to me. A 25 lb. bucket is pretty cheap at home despot. I just checked the label (ahem... they're my go-to fastener around the farm. I ain't saying whether or not there are any on my boat.) They do claim to be "stainless steel" exterior grade. They're coated with some kind of gray paint that is lightly grippy on the drill tip.

Tipi says:

I admire anyone who follows their personal callings in Life.

Some men belong growing on the side of a mountain in Joy.

The call of the sea is not for everyone to go...

Experiential knowledge surpasses hopes and dreams.

From the Squidoo site. Must be that experiential knowledge that get her hot...

Don't forget the great and glorious Stormvogel - built of Bruynzeel marine ply. But hey, he had a major naval architect, van de Stadt design that one. So it obviously is no good, is it?

1.jpg

The sad thing is that people have been building boats for some 140,000 years and HR&family have chosen to disregard that body of knowledge, instead they trumphet their adventurous spirit...

Where did you get that data? 6000 at best... Unless woolen mammals were sailing way back when...

I misstated, 130,000 years, they found evidence of human settlement on Crete, stone age tools and such, and Crete has been an island for 5 million years or so, they had to get there somehow, they must have had boats at least as advanced as the FH... cite

There's no way their boats were as good as FH... The gas BBQ and the sliding glass door had not been invented yet.

Where did you get that data? 6000 at best... Unless woolen mammals were sailing way back when...

I misstated, 130,000 years, they found evidence of human settlement on Crete, stone age tools and such, and Crete has been an island for 5 million years or so, they had to get there somehow, they must have had boats at least as advanced as the FH... cite

There's no way their boats were as good as FH... The gas BBQ and the sliding glass door had not been invented yet.

Speaking of the sliding door, with the appearance of the droop in the porch, and likely the entire bridgedeck, does the door even open/close?

HR and son are proud to link this gold & silver website forum, which is apparently popular with paranoid survivalists. These guys don't trust the very government that gives them the freedom to be perfect fools.

http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?54142-Man-building-house-boat-that-s-3-200-square-feet

You mean the same gubmint that employs the Marin County boat building inspector that signed off on the build?

Thats actually a pretty nice boat Sailor, not sure if someone photoshoped the the surface treatment into it but its a nice looking rig

That was some sort of fund raiser type project in Europe - IIRC the boat was cold moulded and the top surface is actually made up of laminated bits of wood from a huge variety of sources - all contributions. Bits of signs and art work and toys etc.

It was covered quite extensively in the Euro mags etc. a while back.

Thats actually a pretty nice boat Sailor, not sure if someone photoshoped the the surface treatment into it but its a nice looking rig

That was some sort of fund raiser type project in Europe - IIRC the boat was cold moulded and the top surface is actually made up of laminated bits of wood from a huge variety of sources - all contributions. Bits of signs and art work and toys etc.

If memory serves, SA did a cover story on this last year

I wonder if this might be Government Backed in some way

to get someone to build something so Obliviously WRONG in every way

[trimmed]

I know it's a funny old saw to repeat and our government (which is us by the way) doesn't do everything perfectly but, the next time you turn the tap and get clean water, drive completely across this country on an interstate, fly from one city to the next in almost complete safety and without incident, dial 911 and get a fire crew to your house to put out the fire and save your life, when two SEAL snipers make a coordinated kill on two pirates and rescue the captured crew unharmed, you will be glad your above statement is just that -- a funny old saw with no actual basis in truth.

If memory serves, SA did a cover story on this last year

Missed the SA front page cover but, she's named Collective Spirit and is a product of The Boat Project http://www.theboatproject.com She's a Rogers Olympiad 30 design.

As I recall there were three designers involved with STORMY. Van de Stadt, Illingworth and Primrose and Laurent Giles. Each office had their own area of responsibilities. The Hull lines were by Van de Stadt.

Bill Stevens aka Da Man used to crew on it.

If you look at the closeups of the screws in this preposted vid then you will see the wood splitting so definitely not predrilled. I've put in a fair share of longer SS wood screws and it's just about impossible to drive them without predrilling. The heads usually strip out because the SS is so soft. I think those are the standard steel deck screws or modified drywall type screw. You can buy these anywhere in zinc coated or galvanized. So the boat just got cheaper.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/6249763-massive-boat-building-draws-crowd-in-san-rafael/

Something that's been bothering me is the calculation for '3200 square feet of living space'.

If the two hulls are 8feet wide for the entire 65 feet, that's 520 sq ft each.

And even if you took the entire 65 x 32 envelope as 'floor space' for the main floor, that's 2080 ft2, for a grand total of 3120.

But you can't count the front deck as 'living space', and the back porch is a bit iffy. Plus, as can be seen from the stern shot, the main cabin is

narrower than the boat to give some deck space. The sloping sides remove some usable space, as does the opening to get down into the hulls... which are at least a little pointy, removing more space. I'm guessing there's more like 1000 ft2 upstairs, and 400 in each hull... just about half what he claims.

So... HotRod's calculations were way off from the get-go.

Something that's been bothering me is the calculation for '3200 square feet of living space'.

And even if you took the entire 65 x 32 envelope as 'floor space' for the main floor, that's 2080 ft2, for a grand total of 3120.

But you can't count the front deck as 'living space', and the back porch is a bit iffy. Plus, as can be seen from the stern shot, the main cabin is

narrower than the boat to give some deck space. The sloping sides remove some usable space, as does the opening to get down into the hulls... which are at least a little pointy, removing more space. I'm guessing there's more like 1000 ft2 upstairs, and 400 in each hull... just about half what he claims.

Don´t tell him, he might build a bigger one.

Don´t tell him, he might build a bigger one.

Naah, he just needs to build a second floor. You know, just like the textile factories in Bangladesh.

maybe he's counting vertical and sloped surfaces (aka the plywood sail area), and the underside to get to 3200?

If you look at the closeups of the screws in this preposted vid then you will see the wood splitting so definitely not predrilled. I've put in a fair share of longer SS wood screws and it's just about impossible to drive them without predrilling. The heads usually strip out because the SS is so soft. I think those are the standard steel deck screws or modified drywall type screw. You can buy these anywhere in zinc coated or galvanized. So the boat just got cheaper.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/6249763-massive-boat-building-draws-crowd-in-san-rafael/

I use those (ss deck screws) all the time. The coating makes them sink into anything pretty easily. However, you are correct - anything KD or anything near the end of a board needs to be pre-drilled or it splits wide open. Sometimes they do strip out in the last 1/2 inch of a 3-inch screw, if you haven't pre-drilled. Back it out and run in a new one.

Or maybe it's just the power of my massive right arm...

Speaking of the sliding door, with the appearance of the droop in the porch, and likely the entire bridgedeck, does the door even open/close?

A couple of days after launch, a bystander told me that he had a lot of trouble opening the sliding glass door

A couple of days after launch, a bystander told me that he had a lot of trouble opening the sliding glass door

Is that because the BBQ keeps rolling right into the middle of the back porch blocking the door, no matter how many times you roll it to the side?

As I recall there were three designers involved with STORMY. Van de Stadt, Illingworth and Primrose and Laurent Giles. Each office had their own area of responsibilities. The Hull lines were by Van de Stadt.

Bill Stevens aka Da Man used to crew on it.

Yes, indeed. I stand corrected. it was a 3-way design effort. Stormvogel was the single solitary reason for me aspiring to big-boat sailing. As a youngster hanging on downwind in a windy early 60s Cowes Week (in a Dragon I think), I heard a huge roaring noise behind, and Stormvogel's huge red kite propelled her past us with six-foot bow wave. The sailnumber H700 was stuck in my astonished mind for almost ever after.

And I did get to sail her eventually in the late 70s in the Caribbean. Superb yacht.

And now back to your regular reality (?) show.....

From the article above...... Aug 1 2012

"Skepticism doesn’t deter Lane, who has earned the money to finish his yacht by working on other people’s boats"

Who the fuck paid him to fix anything floating?

"For navigation purposes, Lane has two GPS systems and a sextant (a device for determining a ship’s position from the stars)."

Did anyone at any time see anything that resembled a sextant on the FH??

Words fail me.....

Oh Christ, now he "is a pilot and a certified meteorologist" ?!?

Won't ONE of those useless fucking excuses for Journalists CALL HIM OUT on ANY of that bullshit ?

"Has 2 GPS and a Sextant." - if he can explain how to use the Sextant I'll eat my hat.

The part in the article about the lack of funding is pretty funny though - Gee, folks should be lining up to throw money at this dolt !

But the best part has to be about how the local riggers won't give him free service and lots of access to thier tools. I wonder how many mechanics loaned him tools to fix his car ?

maybe he's counting vertical and sloped surfaces (aka the plywood sail area), and the underside to get to 3200?

Maybe the 'living space' includes the marine growth on the inside of the hulls?

from article:

Lane and Johnson expect to sail the catamaran to San Diego, where they hope to buy a water-making appliance; then across the Pacific Ocean visiting Fiji, Tonga, the Samoan Islands and New Zealand.

For navigation purposes, Lane has two GPS systems and a sextant (a device for determining a ship’s position from the stars).

He isn’t concerned that he won’t be able to find his way.

“I’m a pilot and a certified meteorologist,” he claimed. “I’m not an uninformed individual.”

Lane said he will take calls from anyone interested in becoming a sponsor; the number is 530-680-4351.

Will NOBODY call him on that Builshit ? Is there NO Maritime-competant writer in the region ?

HR and son are proud to link this gold & silver website forum, which is apparently popular with paranoid survivalists. These guys don't trust the very government that gives them the freedom to be perfect fools.

http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?54142-Man-building-house-boat-that-s-3-200-square-feet

how has this site not been linked before??!!!

From article:

The catamaran is built of plywood coated in multiple layers of 9-oz. fiberglass that Lane says has a sheer strength of 17,500 pounds per square inch. ( Bullshit ! )

But everything costs money. For example, Lane needs 100 bolts to put on the chain plates, and each costs $4.

The designer is dismayed that he hasn’t had more support from professional boat-builders, who hesitate to loan tools or offer advice. ( !!!!!! )

“The local riggers only say they’ll come out and do the work for me,” he said. “They don’t think anybody can build anything.”

Upon seeing the craft, retired journeyman boat-builder Ron Minnis of Loomis agreed with the riggers, saying Lane “used standard household-building construction which will not work for boats unless he’s done a whole lot of reinforcing that I haven’t seen.”

Step by step this is evolving into yet another sacred sideslipping grift-a-thon where the central character is portrayed as a misunderstood, colourful yet skilled artisan deserving of sponsorship, accolades and cult like following... They are already flying the patriotic flag. Their paypal button website will be next, and then the inevitable delayed departure while they hold the hat out for cash donations. Has the vessel been re registered in Antigua, Monrovia or Liberia yet ? Surely they have found a farmers creek they can run agound in by now.

"For navigation purposes, Lane has two GPS systems and a sextant (a device for determining a ship’s position from the stars)."

Did anyone at any time see anything that resembled a sextant on the FH??

Words fail me.....

Anyone care to comment on the old school navigation skills of a man with such a wonderful understanding of naval architecture?

Holy hell, this just gets better. What all is he supposedly certified in now? Now that we added pilot and meteorologist. Someone needs to go look at all those certificates that he has, that don't even impress him anymore. My god he's so full of shit it's coming out of his ears.

Certified Master motorcycle mechanic

mechanic

master craftsman

electrician

plumber

pilot

computer programmer

certified meteorologist

certified long haul trucker

One of the articles said he built his first bike, first motorcycle, and first car. If they were anything like this I'm surprised he's lived this long. I'd love to see those examples of his skill. I'm guessing he looked at thousands of car designs.

OMG, his phone number is in there. Yes I did, and yes he did.

I really hope you recorded it... and if you did, have someone remix it appropriately.

MSM at it's best::

"The catamaran dwarfs many land-built houses. It’s more than 100 feet long, 32 feet high and 65 feet wide, and has 3,200 square feet of living space to accommodate Lane, his son, his girlfriend and his mother, all of whom plan to travel with him to the South Seas."