65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

Ok, so I did forget all the non-wooden bits. Let's ballpark that real quick. Gas range - $1000. Other kitchen stuff, cabinets, etc, $1500. Wire stays, $500, rope $500, "sails" $no idea, "masts" $200? Outboards $500? "Tanks", $500? Xbox360 and games $300, TV, $200, grill, $100, windows (yet to be installed) $500, patio door $200, veranda roof thing, $100. Radar $500, diamond plate $50. Rudders, wheels, pedastals, etc, etc. Yeah, it goes on and on.

Maybe an extra $5k or so? So maybe $30k total?

You can get a decent actual bluewater boat for $30k, and it won't take 2 or 3 years of two people working full time. If he actually worked instead, he and his son could probably have scraped together $100k and bought something pretty darn nice. My parents happen to have a Kelly Peterson 44 in great shape for sale for a little over $100k. You could drop it off a 4 story building and it would be fine. This boat won't make it off a 4 foot wave. What a waste of time and money.

I doubt it will make it off a 2 foot wave...

Steve

As I recall there were three designers involved with STORMY. Van de Stadt, Illingworth and Primrose and Laurent Giles. Each office had their own area of responsibilities. The Hull lines were by Van de Stadt.

Bill Stevens aka Da Man used to crew on it.

Yes, indeed. I stand corrected. it was a 3-way design effort. Stormvogel was the single solitary reason for me aspiring to big-boat sailing. As a youngster hanging on downwind in a windy early 60s Cowes Week (in a Dragon I think), I heard a huge roaring noise behind, and Stormvogel's huge red kite propelled her past us with six-foot bow wave. The sailnumber H700 was stuck in my astonished mind for almost ever after.

And I did get to sail her eventually in the late 70s in the Caribbean. Superb yacht.

And now back to your regular reality (?) show.....

If I remember VDS was credited with the lines, Illingworth the rig and Giles I don't remember (maybe scantlings?)

Ah found this:

Nice little write up here:

http://blog.tadroberts.ca/2011/09/stormvogel/

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sextant

2. sextant

a person who has sex with animals or objects, such as a dog or a stuffed animal.

a person who prefers sex with dolls or masturbating rather than sex with another person.
"hey, did you see that guy having sex with a cow?"
yeah dude, that was sick. he's a sextant."
by John Joseph Feb 7, 2007 add a video

3. Sextant

A person who as sexual intercourse with an animal or objects, such as baloons.
A person who perfers sex with a doll rather than a person.
"A man was having sex with a stuffed animal"
"Man, He's a sextant"
by John Joseph Feb 6, 2007 add a video

4. Sextant

A person who engages in the act of sexting
Bro 1: dude i was totally sexting Ashley last night
Bro 2: you are just a little sextant arent you? always sexting somebody

Bro 1: true true
Bro 2: it happens
Bro 1: yep, you'll have that
by Classy_Bambi Apr 11, 2010 add a video

Certified Sky Pilot? He's certainly lost in the clouds.

high as a kite

:angry:

come on, sink you piece of junk, I've got better things to do than check back on this forum every 10 mins!!!

James Lane walks on the aft deck of the 65-foot catamaran he and his son are building, with the help of some friends, at the Loch Lomond Marina in San Rafael, Calif. on Friday, Sept. 9, 2011. (IJ photo/Alan Dep) Alan Dep

A giant yacht that a father and son are building at Loch Lomond Marina in San Rafael has captivated the neighborhood's imagination, with shoppers at nearby Andy's Local Market keeping daily tabs on its progress.

James Lane, 50, and his 26-year-old son, Michael Johnson, began working on the 65- by 32-foot catamaran in June 2010 in Butte County, but moved the partially constructed vessel to Loch Lomond this spring.

"We should put it in the water in about 30 days," Lane said, as he showed off the nine-bedroom, three-bathroom 3,200-square-foot boat on a recent afternoon.

The yacht, which Lane will call the Flying Hawaiian, features fiberglass over wood construction and boasts two kitchens and a gym. It weighs about five tons and has so far required 700 to 800 pounds of screws, Lane said. Sixty-five-foot catamarans typically sell for anywhere from $500,000 to $2 million or more.

"This boat is going to be two times the size of most people's homes," said Lane, a master craftsman who has never built a boat before. "I spent three years on the design of this. I've looked at thousands and thousands of yachts."
Come late October, Lane plans to move aboard the Flying Hawaiian with his mother, Johnson, several other people and one pet Chihuahua and travel to Mexico, Hawaii, the Samoan islands and New Zealand.

He doesn't plan on coming back.

"We're going to island hop until we get bored," Lane said. "We've got plenty of music and plenty of fishing gear and plenty of time."The group hopes to make money by renting out the yacht or taking tourists out on the water. A small generator will power the boat's "gel cell" batteries each day, he said, adding, "It's about the freedom and the lifestyle -- it's fresh food and good living."

Yachts can be quite large -- with some measuring 110 feet in length -- but locals have been particularly interested in Lane's boat because it's unusual to see such a large vessel being constructed in San Rafael, Loch Lomond Harbor Master Pat Lopez said.

"People are curious, just very curious to see it because it's so unique," Lopez said. "It's something that we don't really see around here too often."
About half the customers at Andy's have been talking about the plus-size vessel, providing daily updates on Lane's progress, said Patrick Crowley, the store's general manager.

"If they don't ask about it, what it is, they talk about the size of it," Crowley said. "It's a conversation piece, and everybody wants to see it get launched because that's awfully big to get moved to the dock.

"These guys, they're just going to go sail around," he added. "It's kind of exciting in a way."

Resident Jim La Fleur, who lives a couple of blocks away, said he and his family were stunned to see the progress Lane and Johnson had made on the boat when they returned from a month-plus trip in August.

"I haven't seen the animals coming two by two, but it won't surprise me," said La Fleur, 44.

"I'm really looking forward to seeing if it works," La Fleur added. "I admire his optimism and his drive to do something like that."

Meanwhile, Lane said he's busy preparing the boat for water and would welcome any spare parts residents want to donate. The Flying Hawaiian won't look quite so enormous once it leaves the marina, he added.

"When you're a little speck out in the water, it doesn't feel that big."

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18884124

Here are the lads.....make sure ya'll give generously now!

508e8bf1c98fb.image.jpg

I think we should help the boys out. Find a sponsor for them. Any suggestions on what products they can be the spokesmen for?

I am thinkin......

Banjo_Large(1).jpg

Look, I enjoy making fun of idiots as much as the next heartless prick, but if I were the God of All Thread Content, what follows is a list of stuff I'd rather not see here:

• Jokes which serve no purpose beyond promoting the jokester's joke-making prowess.
  • Opinions about construction from people who don't know anything about construction.
  • Pretty much any post which begins with, "It seems to me..."
  • Snobby comments about HotRod's and his entourage's cultural inclinations, grooming, fashion habits, etc.
  • Space-filling drivel about nothing.

What I AM interested in is:

• Actual progress and pictures of the boat.
  • Factual discussion on construction and finishing methods.

I don't expect anything to change; I'm just one more idiot poster, posting crap about nothing to do with this misguided expenditure of plywood and enthusiasm.

You know, just the other day I was saying to my wife, "wife, you know what my dream is? I want to lay on the bottom of San Fransisco Bay with a gas range on top of me." Maybe I should join them.

I`ve had a LOT of laughs at this thread but this has me laughing so hard I`m crying!

looks like we cross posted the same thing Vendredi

what are the odds

No odds! you copied! Pretty boat though...

A simple garden shed will cost you about $10 per sq. ft in materials not including labor so this floating 3200 sq. ft. shed should have cost about $32,000. I'm figuring about double or triple that when you include those fancy rudders.

I can't find that news video of HR installing screws. If he is using SS screws then the standard magnetic tip holders won't work and he would have to use something else. If he is putting in standard philips head screws this way then they must be the standard cheap zinc coated steel ones. You can make a fresh tip hold a non-magnetic screws but after you ream that tip just a little which always happens then the screw will fall off. So where's that vid?

I posted the reference to the OSB boat first. Do i get a prize?

Maybe he was smart enough to use Robertson screws instead of fucking phillips. Any time it is possible I replace Phillips with Robertsons. I`ve never understood why stuff gets built with Phillips. Terrible fucking fasteners they are...

Has 2 GPS and a Sextant." - if he can explain how to use the Sextant I'll eat my hat.

GPS, Sextant, and meteorology degree courtesy of their iPhones:

mzl.obcydtoo.320x480-75.jpgmzl.bhtioqip.466x466-75.jpgmzl.qemgnuac.320x480-75.jpg

Come late October, Lane plans to move aboard the Flying Hawaiian with his mother, Johnson, several other people and one pet Chihuahua and travel to Mexico, Hawaii, the Samoan islands and New Zealand.

He doesn't plan on coming back.

Rare moment of genuine foresight, there....

Heck, you can get sextants at very reasonable prices - this one's only 20 bux:

http://www.harborfreight.com/brass-sextant-66096.html

But I agree, if he can shoot an accurate position, I'll eat my hat.

I had a neighbor that worked for them. Actually, he never admitted he worked for them, but his garage was always full of Sears tools. He'd ship them to China (his admission) to be reverse engineered for manufacturing. He bragged, pretty consistently, that the floor jack I was looking at was 1/3 the price of the Sears unit. He did this all the time. It was his job to buy local, high quality tools and other stuff and have it "copied" in China.

As for the sextant. Well, it's likely it might be OK, for the mid 1800s. :)

Look, I enjoy making fun of idiots as much as the next heartless prick, but if I were the God of All Thread Content, what follows is a list of stuff I'd rather not see here:

• Jokes which serve no purpose beyond promoting the jokester's joke-making prowess.
  • Opinions about construction from people who don't know anything about construction.
  • Snobby comments about HotRod's and his entourage's cultural inclinations, grooming, fashion habits, etc.

I don't expect anything to change; I'm just one more idiot poster, posting crap about nothing to do with this misguided expenditure of plywood and enthusiasm.

Basically, the only reason I'm watching this thread is to see the progress, or adventures, that the boat and makers have.

As for the posts of outright derision and speculative comments not based on any actual facts? It makes them feel better about themselves. Let them have it. :)

The group here that is obsessed with that waste of space reid stowe and the constant comparisons really drag this thread down.

If I spent that many hours stalking a stoned loser ferrocement pilot I'd jump off a damn bridge. Same with this HR guy. The train wreck is interesting, but I really have to wonder if some of you have jobs, or a family, or a life.

"He spent three years studying marine design and manufacturing before designing the craft."

Oki Doki its all clear to me now.

If that wasn't complete bullshit he should demand a refund of his tuition.

stoned loser

You say that like it's a bad thing.

i take no issue with the stoned loser who is paying taxes and just living life. i do take issue with the stoned loser who ends up costing everybody else money and always has his hand out asking for more.

Here are the lads.....make sure ya'll give generously now!

508e8bf1c98fb.image.jpg

I think we should help the boys out. Find a sponsor for them. Any suggestions on what products they can be the spokesmen for?

I am thinkin......

Banjo_Large(1).jpg

Well I've been working wood my whole life and these guys are the worst kinda hacks. Only way to get that bad at woodworking after however long they been woodchucking is to just not give a shit. I've fired a few of these types and someone nailed it. At their age, its bloody hopeless to even try and teach them anything. Its a miracle if they've got all there fingers and toes after spending so long hacking there way through that horror of an excuse/boat.

OK so whats the chances of someone out there setting up a live cam so we can all check in on the condition of the boat, or at least how its floating or not ? Its a box camera on a few batteries with a wyfi connection. Now there's something we can all send in a buck for eh ;-) Some kinda zoom lens would go nicely as well. The park service sets them up all over the place. Might cost a few hundred bucks to do up right and whoever the lucky volunteer is can keep it in the end, which won't be long, actually the winner of the "whens it going to sink" pool can keep it ;-)

3boobs-1.jpg

Basically, the only reason I'm watching this thread is to see the progress, or adventures, that the boat and makers have.

As for the posts of outright derision and speculative comments not based on any actual facts? It makes them feel better about themselves. Let them have it. :)

Me thinks you might be feeling pretty good about yourself after that post mate. You two be carefull you don't get a nose bleed up there on that high ground. What we are watching here is not an intellectual discussion on the merits of plywood boat building.

What I saw at first is a delusional fool that was way out of his depth. Felt sorry for him. What we are now seeing with a little research is a bullshitting know all with his hand out looking for everyone else to pay for his dream. From page one this thread has been taking the piss out of this idiot. If you want only serious discussion about plywood then fuckoff over to one of the other more highbrow forums, more in keeping with a person of your superior ......well someone who likes to think he is superior. Or just fuck off.

Me thinks you might be feeling pretty good about yourself after that post mate.

Actually no but, the possible irony of my own statement wasn't lost on me when I posted that. It doesn't invalidate my observation that there is a difference in discussing the absolute failure of this project, in all it's detail, as a seaworthy boat and just sneering at the man in general. The former is just the experienced sharing their shock and dismay. The latter? I'll leave that as an exercise to the readers.

Agree, but also more first hand reports from the Rodians would be fun interesting.

I Fucking Hate Attention Seekers !!!!!

:o:lol::lol::lol::)

In the article, it said that H-R was planning to bring a chihuahua.

While some might debate whether chihuahuas are real dogs or just fashion accessories, might it be possible to get the local Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals or local animal shelter folks involved?

Their enforcement people might have more teeth than the local police, US Coast Guard, etc.

This Ross Valley Reporter Article is hilariously bad. My favorite parts with commentary:

"What will happen when James Lane sails his hand-built catamaran from San Rafael to the South Pacific? No one may ever know..."

But betting odds are he won't make it out of the SF bay, and everyone expect them knows this.

“I’m going to stay on this yacht until I’m dead,” Lane said. “The wind is free.”

He's dead right with this one... except its going to be a lot sooner than later

The settlement from an automobile accident gave him the seed money for the yacht, and he had a finance partner in his first mate, a wealthy financier. However, the job bogged down when the financier unexpectedly died.

Wait I thought he got the $ from the divorce. And someone would actually partner with him on this? I bet ya I know what killed the partner. He saw the boat!

The work has taken longer than expected, but not as long as some of Lane’s friends have needed to build a yacht. One spent 22 years and $3 million and doesn’t have the yacht finished yet, Lane claimed.

HR is making up numbers again, I doubt he knows someone that has the ability to blow 132k a year for 22 years, for a unfinished boat.

Lane and Johnson purchased the wood but fabricated almost everything else needed for the yacht, including the goosenecks, chain plates and standing rigging.

The reporter has no idea what these things are, but they sound boat-ish and important so the reporter assumes that HR must know what he is talking about.

The catamaran is built of plywood coated in multiple layers of 9-oz. fiberglass that Lane says has a sheer strength of 17,500 pounds per square inch.

After cruising the South Seas, HR is going to convert it to a submarine and dive to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, (bottom pressure 15,700 psi FH can totally take that)

"Lane needs 100 bolts to put on the chain plates, and each costs $4."

Because everyone knows chainplates have a tendency to sprout legs and walk off if not securely attached to the vessel with at least ten bolts each.

“The local riggers only say they’ll come out and do the work for me,” he said.

Yes, this is how they earn a living... rigging boats.

retired journeyman boat-builder Ron Minnis of Loomis agreed with the riggers, saying Lane “used standard household-building construction which will not work for boats unless he’s done a whole lot of reinforcing that I haven’t seen.”

The most logical, grounded in reality statement yet in this article.

Minnis said a catamaran “is very stable. It will float. Theoretically, under very calm conditions, this craft could make it to the South Pacific. Whether it actually will make it is anybody’s guess. Personally, I wouldn’t even dream of taking it offshore.”

And we are back in outer space ... Thank you captain obvious, excuse me journeyman obvious. Yes it will float, wood floats. and theoretically the boat could float apart, get washed out to sea and join the great pacific gyre... I guess that counts as making it to the South Pacific.

Skepticism doesn’t deter Lane,

neither does professional advise, friendly observations, common sense, knowledge, reality, gravity, etc...

A craft flexes a great deal when it is moved from land to the water; Lane hopes none of the craft’s 44 salon windows pop out.

That was HR biggest worry that one of the windows in the pontoons would pop out?

It’s not feasible to live aboard any craft that doesn’t have a working galley (kitchen) and head (bathroom); but elements such as shower stalls can be finished after the splash.

Multiple showers? Going to tile them? Planning on more complicated plumbing than two garden hoses out of one of the windows?

Lane and Johnson expect to sail the catamaran to San Diego, where they hope to buy a water-making appliance; then across the Pacific Ocean visiting Fiji, Tonga, the Samoan Islands and New Zealand.

Water-making appliance, I'm pretty sure Home Depot carries that... Its up front near the checkout lines... You feed it quarters and dollar bills and water bottles fall out of it.

For navigation purposes, Lane has two GPS systems and a sextant (a device for determining a ship’s position from the stars).

Writer made up the part about the sextant in order to get the word sex into the article and drive a few more hits to the story...

“I’m a pilot and a certified meteorologist,” he claimed. “I’m not an uninformed individual.”

I got nothing... just enjoy the irony of that statement on its own.

Lane said he will take calls from anyone interested in becoming a sponsor; the number is 530-xxx-xxxx.

Wow...

Yep. Send your money folks - make hot rods dream come true for him. I wonder if his son believes his shit or he is in on the con as well.

Maybe he is not as stupid as he looks and the Mullet is just part of the act!

Look, I enjoy making things out of plywood as much as the next master craftsman/pilot/meteorologist, but if I were the God of All Thread Content, what follows is a list of stuff I'd rather NOT see here:

• Actual progress and pictures of a boat.

I don't expect anything to change; I'm just one more idiot poster, posting facts about nothing to do with this meaningful expenditure of plywood and enthusiasm.

Well I'm not ashamed to say that making fun of this jackass makes me feel better about myself. Not only have I never attempted anything even 1/50th as stupid as this on my own, I am happy to note that I have a network of friends and family around that would step in and stage an intervention if I had even tried. Reading about how thoroughly ol' Hot Rod has fucked up makes my own minor problems seem utterly mundane. Compared to him, I am a mega-genius, wildly successful, and without a worry in the world.

It's really quite refreshing and minty.

Well I'm not ashamed to say that making fun of this jackass makes me feel better about myself. Not only have I never attempted anything even 1/50th as stupid as this on my own, I am happy to note that I have a network of friends and family around that would step in and stage an intervention if I had even tried. Reading about how thoroughly ol' Hot Rod has fucked up makes my own minor problems seem utterly mundane. Compared to him, I am a mega-genius, wildly successful, and without a worry in the world.

It's really quite refreshing and minty.

Quoted for truth.

He also mentioned chartering this boat. I read about a couple that did this in French Poynesia and they had to pay something like 20 to 30% the value of the boat to import it and make it legal there. Perhaps he shouldn't tell everyone his boat is worth $6 mill. Let's see, 20 to 30% of $6 mill is uh hmm uh crap. Can i borrow DaWoodys fingers and toes. I can't count that high.

I did a search on the American Meteorological Society website and found this James Lane as a member. This must be Hot Rod. Shit, he is a pilot and meteorologist. Shit, he flies those weather planes. Shit, Shit Shit. Oh and he's a lieutenant. Shit. We was so wrong.

Lt. James C. Lane (2) Indiana Air National Guard
207th Weather Flight
2002 S. Holt Rd.
Indianapolis, IN 462414839

In the article, it said that H-R was planning to bring a chihuahua.

While some might debate whether chihuahuas are real dogs or just fashion accessories, might it be possible to get the local Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals or local animal shelter folks involved?

Their enforcement people might have more teeth than the local police, US Coast Guard, etc Hot Rod, HR II, and the Chihuahua combined.

Me thinks you might be feeling pretty good about yourself after that post mate.

Actually no but, the possible irony of my own statement wasn't lost on me when I posted that. It doesn't invalidate my observation that there is a difference in discussing the absolute failure of this project, in all it's detail, as a seaworthy boat and just sneering at the man in general. The former is just the experienced sharing their shock and dismay. The latter? I'll leave that as an exercise to the readers.

Why not both? Makes it more fun. That thing is such a twilight zone joke that only having a serious discussion of its shortcomings wouldn't be much fun at all.

I did a search on the American Meteorological Society website and found this James Lane as a member. This must be Hot Rod. Shit, he is a pilot and meteorologist. Shit, he flies those weather planes. Shit, Shit Shit. Oh and he's a lieutenant. Shit. We was so wrong.

Lt. James C. Lane (2) Indiana Air National Guard

207th Weather Flight

2002 S. Holt Rd.

Indianapolis, IN 462414839

So sorry, cannot be the same guy. No way this is possible. Just sayin.........

Would you believe it - thread on CF has been deleted. Now I realise why you people hang out here. Untrue.

What a bunch of pussies!

Thats hwat happends whey yuo let wommen on the www.

This forum has teh rigt idae. No wommen aloud.

In a rare visual touch, the court’s majority included in Breyer’s decision a photograph of Lozman’s former floating home.

But we can't be bothered with reproducing that photograph along with our news story.

Thanks Obama.

Here. I did it for you:

riviera_beach_houseboat.jpg

What is taking so long for sea trials???? Is reality setting in on HR?

From the above story: Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/15/3183795/avast-supreme-court-sinks-florida.html#storylink=cpy

"Lozman bought his 60-foot-by-12 foot floating home in 2002 and docked it at the Riviera Beach marina after Hurricane Wilma destroyed his former marina. The rectangular structure lacked an engine, bilge pumps, navigation aids, lifeboats or other devices usually found on waterborne vessels."

Yes because all 60ft boats have their own lifeboats...

It looks like a floating trailer. But as opposed to being a double wide its a double tall.

I'd call it a barge, but I'm pretty sure marine law applies to those...

It's what we call a float home, as opposed to a houseboat which has propulsion but is not very seaworthy. I'm glad to see the Florida jerkoff pol's got their asses handed to them.

As most cruisers know, there are numerous derelict vessels in most anchorages. Morehead City, Charleston, St. Augustine, you name it... The secret to keep LEO's at bay? Pull the engines and sails and mount an outboard motor mount to it. Put and outboard on it when you want to move it, but take it off when you attach yourself to the engine block mooring you set up.

It's now a barge and is no longer subject to regulations because of its lack of a mean of propulsion. Barges can be anchored forever...

As most cruisers know, there are numerous derelict vessels in most anchorages. Morehead City, Charleston, St. Augustine, you name it... The secret to keep LEO's at bay? Pull the engines and sails and mount an outboard motor mount to it. Put and outboard on it when you want to move it, but take it off when you attach yourself to the engine block mooring you set up.

It's now a barge and is no longer subject to regulations because of its lack of a mean of propulsion. Barges can be anchored forever...

Not to pick on you personally RV but this is 1- flat wrong and 2- not exactly taking the moral high ground here.

There is a big difference between cruisers who want to anchor, and bottom-feeders looking for a place to live that's even cheaper than the trailer park they just got thrown out of. There is also a large and growing problem with boats being disposed of by "anchoring" them somewhere out-of-the-way when the owner realizes he can't sell it, can't afford to fix it up, and has not only lost interest but probably hates the sight of the boat as representing a dream that sunk.

Encouraging the latter 2 (or is it 3) categories of "anchor-outs" is going to result in more restrictions on cruisers. If the legal beagles have stubbed their toes, they'll be back, count on it. And aside from that, a combative attitude is guaranteed to bring the wrong kind of attention from LEOs who in most cases are decent guys doing their job.

We've got lots of nice places to anchor out near town around here; however there is a growing number of derelict and near-derelict boats attracting more attention. So far no local regulations, but I bet that will change within a few years -UNLESS- sailors & cruisers take some initiative to police their own.

FB- Doug

I spoke to HR on the phone and he needs "some blocks, cleats, and winches to take a few laps around the bay"

Anybody have anything to donate?

Not to pick on you personally RV but this is 1- flat wrong and 2- not exactly taking the moral high ground here.

There is a big difference between cruisers who want to anchor, and bottom-feeders looking for a place to live that's even cheaper than the trailer park they just got thrown out of. There is also a large and growing problem with boats being disposed of by "anchoring" them somewhere out-of-the-way when the owner realizes he can't sell it, can't afford to fix it up, and has not only lost interest but probably hates the sight of the boat as representing a dream that sunk.

Encouraging the latter 2 (or is it 3) categories of "anchor-outs" is going to result in more restrictions on cruisers. If the legal beagles have stubbed their toes, they'll be back, count on it. And aside from that, a combative attitude is guaranteed to bring the wrong kind of attention from LEOs who in most cases are decent guys doing their job.

We've got lots of nice places to anchor out near town around here; however there is a growing number of derelict and near-derelict boats attracting more attention. So far no local regulations, but I bet that will change within a few years -UNLESS- sailors & cruisers take some initiative to police their own.

FB- Doug

This begs the question. How do we police our own if we have no police powers? I'm not f'ing with you here. The question about taking actions is, who has the right to judge who and who is not legitimate, and who has the authority to do something about it?

"Policing our own" in any community speaks to authority, influence/power. Who has that?

FB- Doug

I've seen it and actually wrapped my chain around the outboard motor bracket of a 30' sailboat that was attached to another 30' sailboat in Charleston during a bad storm. When I reported the incident and wanted to file a complaint, that is what PoPo told me the deal was...

In Morehead city, someone has a houseboat built on what once was a cabin cruiser very near the Sanitary restaurant...

I'm not condoning nor advocating for this crap, just saying what I have seen and been told...

I spoke to HR on the phone and he needs "some blocks, cleats, and winches to take a few laps around the bay"

My uncle in central coast Cali probably has a bunch of tractor inter tubes he would donate. He will probably even inflate them before delivery.

And sadly, you used to be able to anchor a lot of other places, but the derelicts have ruined it in a number of places. For example, the Vinoy Basin in downtown St. Petersburg FL now has a mooring ball system and they will not let you anchor in there... Sucks...

He is being stopped now by lack of some minor rigging gear? Did you point out to him that Hervey Garret Smith's books (just to name one example), contain templates for wooden cleats, deadeyes, and blocks and that anyone deeming himself to be a sailor, shipwright, and master craftsman should probably figure out how to make his own? Winches? pfffft.

“The local riggers only say they’ll come out and do the work for me,” he said. “They don’t think anybody can build anything.”

HotRod Sept 2011

I've got a bunch of gear suitable for a 25' - 30' mono. Judging by the rest of the "scantlings" of that abortion it should be adequate for HR's test sail.

Send me his address.

This begs the question. How do we police our own if we have no police powers? I'm not f'ing with you here. The question about taking actions is, who has the right to judge who and who is not legitimate, and who has the authority to do something about it?

"Policing our own" in any community speaks to authority, influence/power. Who has that?

full_left_column_21816_002_0509_R_a75724

"REAL power is something you take."

Is he still grifting off the goodwill of the local sailing club, or is he finally paying catamaran double berth rates in the marina ? Id like to say that sooner or later, the goodwill runs out, but dont hold your breath. Reid proved you could abuse peoples goodwill ánd the patience of local authorities for years,,,, Brought grifting to a whole new art form.....

I've seen it and actually wrapped my chain around the outboard motor bracket of a 30' sailboat that was attached to another 30' sailboat in Charleston during a bad storm. When I reported the incident and wanted to file a complaint, that is what PoPo told me the deal was...

In Morehead city, someone has a houseboat built on what once was a cabin cruiser very near the Sanitary restaurant...

I'm not condoning nor advocating for this crap, just saying what I have seen and been told...

Dunno as much about other states, but in NC there are a couple of issues.

Sheriff departments -are- specifically empowered to police waters within their jurisdiction, and the Wildlife Service (actually more like armed park rangers) has authority over all waters in the state. But 99% of the time without an obvious problem and an infringement they feel they can take to court, they'd rather not get involved.

Another issue in North Carolina is that property owners along the waterfront most often have riparian rights, and there are also a lot of areas deemed "flooded lands" rather than navigable water (which BTW does not mean what many people think it means). A waterfront property owner in many cases does in fact own the land under the water, and you can no more anchor there without his permission than you would want some snowbird parking his camper trailer in your front yard.

Registration, lifejackets, and overboard discharge, are the 3 issues that are likely to get attention. The sheriff's dept here could put the roust on a bunch of semi-derelicts who refused to let a deputy come aboard and put a dye tablet in their head. Also had a number of incidents of uninsured boats dragging ashore and damaging property. While I'm not enthusiastic about cops on the water, I also don't have much sympathy for the people who complain about jack-booted thugs giving them tickets for violating obvious safety regs. I've encountered a few less-than-fully-clued water cops myself (including sad to say a couple of Coasties) but I also tend to be polite to cops, never had a problem.

... ... a growing number of derelict and near-derelict boats attracting more attention. So far no local regulations, but I bet that will change within a few years -UNLESS- sailors & cruisers take some initiative to police their own.

FB- Doug

I know of a number of places where a sailor has sought and been appointed harbormaster. We could also use persuasion and peer pressure to make overboard discharge and anchoring compliance the accepted standard rather than keep silent and let offenders think we agree with them. Not quite the same as policing, I know.

FB- Doug

South Florida man wins houseboat case in Supreme Court

Read more here:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/15/3183795/avast-supreme-court-sinks-florida.html#storylink=cpy

More evidence of the genius of HR

“But for the fact that it floats, nothing about Lozman’s home Hot Rod's boat suggests that it was designed to any practical degree to transport persons or things over water,” Justice Stephen Breyer wrote for the majority.

Took this photo from my slip in Loch Lomond marina just now.. Looks like they are doing some testing of the sails

attachicon.gifSails.jpg

Not to be a party pooper or anything but I suspect the mast and sails up or down will not be his biggest issue after seeing the rudder set up. However the sails may be his only option to get it to move in one particular direction.

Took this photo from my slip in Loch Lomond marina just now.. Looks like they are doing some testing of the sails

attachicon.gifSails.jpg

Not to be a party pooper or anything but I suspect the mast and sails up or down will not be his biggest issue after seeing the rudder set up. However the sails may be his only option to get it to move in one particular direction.

Oh, I think it will go downwind just fine without sails. But adding the sails will improve it's speed in that direction. Will it have the ability to go any other direction? Will Hot Rod be able to make it go in the direction he choses? Ummm mmm maybe if we're lucky, we'll see!

FB- Doug

The number 3 headsail, sheeted to a conveniently placed wood screw, can be pulled up with light venetian blind chord in three knots of wind. Woohoo..

Getting adequate luff tension without doing major structural damage will be the next huge challenge. Has anybody thought about how they will pull that sucker down, given that the foredeck slopes 45 degrees and there are no fences ? And whats the sheeting angle ? 60 degrees ?.

Yawn.

This isn't FH- or Shed of Doom-grade wood butchery, but I am quite enjoying the 'snouthouse' our neighbor is slinging off the side of his cabin. Nothing like a first Wyoming winter to confirm you need another room to westward. :P Preferably one designed to pierce the wind:

[/url] skillz by wyooffgrid, on Flickr">8983311970_09ae1c2218_b.jpg

Three weeks of work there. Not including time spent sawing up pine trees for the framing lumber. The fun part comes when he goes to sheathe the thing. Does OSB bend like that? I think it doesn't.

attachicon.gifSails.jpg

Oh, I think it will go downwind just fine without sails.

FB- Doug

So will a haystack.