65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Looks like the marina is kicking him out in a few days.

http://www.marinij.com/sanrafael/ci_23414207/lib-at-large-father-son-finally-launch-big

great article - yea, multitalented people certified in everything have a tough time getting by in this society.

'scraped together $15,000' - what happened to the $30,000 insurance settlement story?

'no garbage' - everybody who's ever been on a boat knows how easy garbage disposal is

wonder what the $40 is for?

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

Nowadays you can get Johnsonville Brats in just about every grocery store in the country.

So the brand Johnsonville are actually Sheboygans?

I don't know much about them, but one summer after high school I ran a hot dog cart in Downtown Denver, we had a little handwritten sign on the side of the cart that said "Sheboygan Brats and Mady's Mustard"

It was unreal how people used to fall over themselves to buy those things. The stoner who owned the cart just cleaned up, usually sold every Sheboygan on that cart at the end of each day. No idea if it was the Brats of the Mustard that was drawing them in. That mustard ... I could eat it plain.

Never heard of Mady's Mustard, but yes, Johnsonville Brats come from Sheboygan County, WI. It's all about the brat hot tub. Off the grill and into a pan of beer and onions.

Ummmm other way around brah.... cook em all first in beer and onions and then throw em on the grill, said onions go on grill after a bit. Hot tub after just makes em less um shal I say stiff??

No offense, but I would never tell someone from NOLA how to make gumbo; nor you shouldn't question my advise on how to properly cook a bratwurst. Trust me.

Ok, Taste is what counts , if you like soggy brats more power to ya.. Had this chat with many many unindoctinated souls and it always ends in the words gosh you are right dere... These are yummy.... haven't ben wrong once....... :D Plus the hot tub theory just makes things messy around the grill..... Sheboygan is nice in summer though I do prefer fon du lac dont cha know....

Hot rod will soon learn that you can't bullshit the sea, err, estuary.

The sea is not impressed by Hotrod's resume.

It took the sea a while not to be impressed by his resume. Initially it was, but as the sea got older it learned to stop being impressed by it.

Could just be the angle...but there's something 'off' about that starboard hull...

20130607__nmij0609catamaran~1.JPG

*angle of the photo...

Why did you restrict your comment to the starboard hull? The whole thing is what is commonly called a "target rich environment".

Hot rod will soon learn that you can't bullshit the sea, err, estuary.

The sea is not impressed by Hotrod's resume.

It's not just the sea that is unimpressed.

Like so many of us, I have been following this build with increasing disbelief, and it just occurred to me... Has anyone seen an anchor or a windlass? If in fact the Rod is going to have to slip his moorings, how will he keep the FH from drifting out with the tide? Did I miss some sort of concrete block/come-along system?

He's going to beach it like a Hobie - what do you think the checker-plate on the bows and the kick up rudders are for?

Apparently ol' Hot Rod is now in the boatbuilding business.......

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/james-lane/2a/444/5b6

For those who do not have a linkin account, please notice the photo on Rod's Profile.

James Lane

owner at hotrod's yachts

3ec8432.jpg

How come the one in the picture doesn't have dock boxes way up on the bows? And no Harley on the back porch?

I'm really thinking he should have left the harley on the hard - gonna be hard to fish it out of the muck when the boat breaks up - and even if the boat holds together for a bit - is the harley just sitting there on it's kick stand?

Yeah, plus it's probably going to be his only assett once that boat goes under.

Although, someone will probably just seize it for unpaid something or other, so maybe it's better off on the bottom of the bay.

For those who do not have a linkin account, please notice the photo on Rod's Profile.

James Lane

owner at hotrod's yachts

3ec8432.jpg

If you look at some of the others who have viewed HR's profile you get a young lady whose profile is described as:

"Founder and CEO Achievers Academy for Women (Formerly of The Apprentice, Celebrity Weakest Link Winner, BBC Presenter)"

In all this nonsense none of us thought that this is all a ploy to become a reality tv star.

We have missed HR's obvious exit strategy. This proves he actually is smarter than all of us.

If you look at some of the others who have viewed HR's profile you get a young lady whose profile is described as:

"Founder and CEO Achievers Academy for Women (Formerly of The Apprentice, Celebrity Weakest Link Winner, BBC Presenter)"

In all this nonsense none of us thought that this is all a ploy to become a reality tv star.

We have missed HR's obvious exit strategy. This proves he actually is smarter than all of us.

At least one person has already suggested that or similar. He is acting too late though, he should have angled for the Reality Show contract while the build was still going on. It could have been lucrative with cash advances from the network to keep everything moving along. They would have also likely provided a viable, seaworthy support ship and chase boats for filming Season 2 , "FH goes to Hawaii". At this point, he is in a race against time with few options and no cash reserve.

Fuuuuuuck, I have enjoyed catching up on this thread over the past 4 days since I found it while researching building a home built cat. However, I just realized while I was laughing at this insanity that my resume includes: long haul truck driver, carpenter.... Anyone know if HR has ever worked in the HVAC field?!?!? Let me know ASAP so I can unwrap the extension cord from around my neck, and last winter I grew a really horrible beard.

I'm going to say that the Flyin' Hawain will unfortunately be around for at least a year or two. It will never venture out of the bay, and will eventually become a local taxpayers problem to clean up. I also predict that either HR or his son will be arrested at least once before the boats demise. I'm saying there will be a court date some time around October of this year.

he might have a good future in the yacht business ... If he can keep making those $4 million cats for $30,000, customers will beat a path to his sliding glass patio door.

That's quite a discount y'know ... $3.97 million off list price.

I'm going to say that the Flyin' Hawain will unfortunately be around for at least a year or two. It will never venture out of the bay, and will eventually become a local taxpayers problem to clean up. I also predict that either HR or his son will be arrested at least once before the boats demise. I'm saying there will be a court date some time around October of this year.

That is how season 11 of RAW FAITH starring George McKay played out. Eviction notices, fisticuffs with the Salem Harbormaster, Swearing and uttered oaths of setting off for Bermuda, the Gulf Stream, the end. These reality show producers who miss getting a camera on this stuff while providing us with the antics of Jersey Shore douchebags and trophy wife whores instead are literally missing the boat.

At least one person has already suggested that or similar. He is acting too late though, he should have angled for the Reality Show contract while the build was still going on. It could have been lucrative with cash advances from the network to keep everything moving along. They would have also likely provided a viable, seaworthy support ship and chase boats for filming Season 2 , "FH goes to Hawaii". At this point, he is in a race against time with few options and no cash reserve.

That's different. Not a HR show but one of those reality tv contests. Perhaps he could go on Survivor with all his skills he would be a shoo in winner, he would get to visit at least one exotic location and his humble personality would make for some great TV. Another alternative would be Worlds Biggest Loser, but that's just too easy.

he might have a good future in the yacht business ... If he can keep making those $4 million cats for $30,000, customers will beat a path to his sliding glass patio door.

That's quite a discount y'know ... $3.97 million off list price.

Even assuming anyone is stupid enough to pay him to build another, he would not survive the lawsuit (s). Liability is a fact of life in modern business.

Fuuuuuuck, I have enjoyed catching up on this thread over the past 4 days since I found it while researching building a home built cat. However, I just realized while I was laughing at this insanity that my resume includes: long haul truck driver, carpenter.... Anyone know if HR has ever worked in the HVAC field?!?!? Let me know ASAP so I can unwrap the extension cord from around my neck, and last winter I grew a really horrible beard.

This is a new one that diserves our utmost attention... Anyone got their arrest records handy?? Oh yea Newb.. Fuck off and show us your wife/girlfriends tits....

Now on with it. We have a quest.....

James Lane

owner at hotrod's yachts

3ec8432.jpg

View Full Profile

Not the James Lane you were looking for? View more »

There are more of him out there eh? Better watch out!

Hey HotRod, the GreenLantern called, he wants his lamp back..

20130607__nmij0609catamaran~2.JPG

just noticed that thing isn't pointed forward, what looks like the front is actually 90 degrees to the bow, and it looks like there is a partition inside so it doesn't shine aft. Smarter than we thought?

Smarter than we thought?

There's a well with no bottom....

Sure, looks like a baffle plate inside. But it should be:

84.09 Screens (a) The sidelights of vessels of 20 meters or more in length shall be fitted with mat black inboard screens and meet the requirements of 84.17.

Odds that it actually shows from 0-122.5 (+/- 5) degrees? Or has the right color, intensity, luminous range?

Smarter then youall

Ah ha! You are the illiterate daughter aren't you snaerk. Here will are all thinking you were taking the piss out of our belovered snaggy

And all you were doing was trying to write your name as sneak or snark , but you fucked it up. That particular trait seems to run in the family. So why are you just a cheerleader and not part of the crew? It is not like you would have a job you can't leave.....

This is a new one that diserves our utmost attention... Anyone got their arrest records handy?? Oh yea Newb.. Fuck off and show us your wife/girlfriends tits....

Now on with it. We have a quest.....

I just assumed fighting would start right around the time the harbor master showed up on June 14th (midnight) and asked HR what the fuck he was still doing in his marina with that giant cat turd. The only real question is whether of not the fighting escalates to the point where someone gets stabbed with a trident.

84.09 Screens (a) The sidelights of vessels of 20 meters or more in length shall be fitted with mat black inboard screens and meet the requirements of 84.17.

Just to be clear, the only two dimensions quoted by HR are 65 by 32. Assuming the length is actually 65 feet: 65 feet = 19.8 m. It is possible this 'vessel' is less than 20 m long and those regs don't apply.

Possible.

Just to be clear, the only two dimensions quoted by HR are 65 by 32. Assuming the length is actually 65 feet: 65 feet = 19.8 m. It is possible this 'vessel' is less than 20 m long and those regs don't apply.

Possible.

If I had to bet, my money would say that 65' was a slight exaggeration.

I just assumed fighting would start right around the time the harbor master showed up on June 14th (midnight) and asked HR what the fuck he was still doing in his marina with that giant cat turd. The only real question is whether of not the fighting escalates to the point where someone gets stabbed with a trident.

Ha! Where's Brick Tamland when you need him?

I was wondering how long it was going to take the local ace reporters to figure out they were missing a big story.

"I've done a lot of things trying to figure out how to make money in America. It was making me crazy trying to figure out a way to get out of the workforce."

When a wealthy friend told him he could escape from all that by building a boat and sailing to the Hawaiian island of Oahu, where the good life awaited him,"

Also wondering is this is more of HR's vast imagination again or whether there really is some sick SOB that would put this non-sense into someone's head. I can't help but think it was a rich man's bet for $1 whether or not the village idiot could build a boat and make it to Hawaii alive.

I don't see HR cleaning out the guys that made the $1 bet via stock market though... and shit, now I really want to watch Trading Places.

anyone have contact info for the tweaker that nicked the AC-45 floating free at 3AM

dude has experience with Kat's adrift .............. eh

anyone have contact info for the tweaker that nicked the AC-45 floating free at 3AM

dude has experience with Kat's adrift .............. eh

:lol: good luck towing the FH to safe water with his little Whaler! and if he does "salvage" her, then who's gonna pay for the damages he claims on that "rescue"?

That is how season 11 of RAW FAITH starring George McKay played out. Eviction notices, fisticuffs with the Salem Harbormaster, Swearing and uttered oaths of setting off for Bermuda, the Gulf Stream, the end. These reality show producers who miss getting a camera on this stuff while providing us with the antics of Jersey Shore douchebags and trophy wife whores instead are literally missing the boat.

I believe that should properly be Trophy Whore Wives.

Hey HotRod, the GreenLantern called, he wants his lamp back..

20130607__nmij0609catamaran~2.JPG

just noticed that thing isn't pointed forward, what looks like the front is actually 90 degrees to the bow, and it looks like there is a partition inside so it doesn't shine aft. Smarter than we thought?

I've resisted commenting on this light while I tried to wrap my head around it, ie where is it on the boat and if forward why is there a GPS antenna right next to it and the dock seems to be in an odd place in relation to the starboard side. Now I've figured out that the "dock" I think I'm seeing in the background is actually the front of the port hull, which puts this light in the right spot. BUT...how the hell is anyone going to see it from bow-on with the GPS antenna mounted in front of it and blocking it?

sMaaRtur thinn u-aHL furr SHurrrr... doh. Try again.

I'm thinking the first casualty will be the Harley. either knocked off the porch in the first waves, or knocked off with some enthusiastic towing, or the kick stand falls thru the 3/8th decking and it falls off by its self - those big bikes weigh 5-6 hundred lbs, right? that's a lot of weight on a kick stand

I'm going to bet the manufacturer of the boat ole Rod Moe used in his business advertisement hasn't seen it yet. Or we'd see some fur flying already, in the legal arena. Unfortunately if you've got nothing to loose I guess you can infringe on copy rights and intellectual properties but still, its really bad form. Kinda like the rest of ole Rod Moe's adventure. I guess its par for the course.

Something tells me Rod Moe's yacht building days are numbered, I'd think whatever company actually made that cat ( nice looking cat by the way ) is going to be chomping at the bit one they figure this out. No way they want some fool like this guy using there images and no way they want any association whatsoever with this mess.

If anyone does know who actually made that yacht he's using in his advertising, well, I'd be making a phone call in a flash. I build my share of stuff and its really not cool to be stealing images like this without permission.

I'm going to bet the manufacturer of the boat ole Rod Moe used in his business advertisement hasn't seen it yet. Or we'd see some fur flying already, in the legal arena. Unfortunately if you've got nothing to loose I guess you can infringe on copy rights and intellectual properties but still, its really bad form. Kinda like the rest of ole Rod Moe's adventure. I guess its par for the course.

Something tells me Rod Moe's yacht building days are numbered, I'd think whatever company actually made that cat ( nice looking cat by the way ) is going to be chomping at the bit one they figure this out. No way they want some fool like this guy using there images and no way they want any association whatsoever with this mess.

If anyone does know who actually made that yacht he's using in his advertising, well, I'd be making a phone call in a flash. I build my share of stuff and its really not cool to be stealing images like this without permission.

Privilege went belly up just recently but I have heard they are back in biz now. Might not be much of a legal claim now that the company that built that really fuckin nice yacht is no more.

Edit, This was supposed to go with my quote above. Oops.

Interesting, I have no idea what happens to copy and intellectual rights once a company goes belly up, I should know this, I've been in biz for about 30 years myself, I just never went completely broke, yet, yet being the key term in that sentence.

Privilege went belly up just recently but I have heard they are back in biz now. Might not be much of a legal claim now that the company that built that really fuckin nice yacht is no more.

Edit, This was supposed to go with my quote above. Oops.

That's got to be a fake LinkedIn acct. Either way, the photo isn't being used for commercial purposes --that is, until HR sails to Hawaii and gets rich with his revolutionary design and build. Who knew that current boats were intentionally over-engineered to keep them out of the reach of the common man?

From the article...

"

That there should be a match between perception and reality is not surprising, because evolution ruthlessly eliminates the unfit. If you routinely misperceive or even hallucinate and act on those misapprehensions, you won’t survive long in a world filled with dangers ....

"

I'm thinking that thingy next to Hot Rod Jr's foot is an anchor windlass. Back bay here we come!

attachicon.gifRodrick.jpg

If that hull being on the piss is parallax error, wouldn't Rod and Emu be leaning one way as well?

Yes, they would. It would be harder to tell, though. The effect isn't as pronounced on items that don't have straight, vertical lines.

From the article...

"

That there should be a match between perception and reality is not surprising, because evolution ruthlessly eliminates the unfit. If you routinely misperceive or even hallucinate and act on those misapprehensions, you won’t survive long in a world filled with dangers ....

"

If that is true - why is there still Catholicism??

Loved the article (http://www.marinij.com/sanrafael/ci_23414207/lib-at-large-father-son-finally-launch-big) just shows you what a la-la land this guy is living in. Here are some choice quotes:

Fifty-one-year-old James "Hot Rod" Lane and his 28-year-old son, Michael Johnson, have been laboriously building the eight-ton, twin-hulled craft over the past three years, most of that time in the Loch Lomond parking lot, becoming an ongoing object of curiosity in the bayside neighborhood.

if that weight's real Gunboat should be taking notes because they need carbon fiber, foam and honeycomb to get close to that. Are D grade ply and 2x4's the new unobtainium?

After working around the clock, they finally launched their dream boat in the middle of the night on Memorial Day weekend, 18 months behind schedule.

Obviously all the other guys who take 5-6 years to do their more modestly sized boats are just a bunch of losers. Give him credit though he disproves the notion that Americans aren't willing to work hard at manual labor.

"I've done a lot of things trying to figure out how to make money in America. It was making me crazy trying to figure out a way to get out of the workforce."

Obviously the rest of us mugs who spend a 3rd of our lives working for our daily bread are just a bunch of losers

... A jack of all trades, Lane envisions himself and his son building boats for a living on a plot of land he says is waiting for them in the shadow of Diamond Head.

A plot of land waiting for them in some of the most expensive real estate in the USA? Or maybe he's one of these people who doesn't realize that Hawaii is a part of the USA or any other modern country where you can't just show up and claim property?

To be honest it'd be better for all the rest of us if he'd've just injured his back and gone on disability rather than all the easily predicted outcomes which will probably leave him a ward of the state. A vision and hard work are often quoted as things to have the life you want but a small grasp on reality is generally assumed.

8 fuckin tons on a 65' cat. That would be the lightest cruising cat ever. 20,000 lbs for a 50' is super light. This 65' should weigh about 40,000 if it is light to about 60,0000 if it is about average. Remember that length is cubed for volume and weight. The frickin Harley just added 5% to the total displacement. Throw in grannys power scooter and we are over the limit.

""" One system is responsible for visual perception and is necessary for identifying objects—such as approaching cars and potential mates—independent of their apparent size or location in our visual field. """

My new excuse.

From the article...

"

"

If that is true - why is there still Catholicism??

I cannot stop laughing

has it sunk yet? is there a pool?

There is a pool and I got the 25th this month, although at the time I picked that date I didn't know he would be moving tomorrow, cause I'm not so sure this thing will survive even being towed. Depends on the water conditions tomorrow and what direction they try and tow him. OK less on direction and more on water conditions.

I want to see his face when he realizes that.

1. He can't see from his stearing stations.

2. He can't steer.

3. He can't enter the fifth mode.

4. etc.

5. etc.

6. etc.

All you guys who think it will break up AND sink on the first tow are missing the mark I think. I've been on a couple of production sailboats that had major structural failures and limped home on their own bottoms. I think the thing is much more likely to eventually sink from a sprung joint between plywood sheets, likely at the bow or along the 'keel' of one of the hulls, than it is to outright disintegrate. It will be pretty interesting trying to get it shore with one floating hull and one not, of course.

He was looking for a place to tie up, so he could continue to finish it. Other than some unattended docks in the delta, what else could he get for free, which is what he's looking for.

I have read this forum for a long time. Never joined until recently. I signed up just to be able to see the photos on this thread.

Today is your lucky day. All new members get a sneak peek at this photo taken from Sailing Anarchy's unique crystal ball camera which was able to peer into the fabric of time and space for this photo of The Flyin Hawaiian years into the future ...

diving_ocean-792387.jpg

Huh?

Clean, is the Crystal Ball camera broken? It only shows this image of open ocean where the plywood cat is supposed to be. wtf?

If he is, he'll be leaving in the morning, or late tonight then at a guess ;)

I hope HR (or one of his pals) sees what a helpful bunch we are here.... we offer him free weather routing for his move.

And Mike is looking out for his future. Hard to believe he can be so disparaging of this merry lot :)