65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

I have read this forum for a long time. Never joined until recently. I signed up just to be able to see the photos on this thread.

Speaking of photos, if you have read the forum for a long time, you know what to do next.

photo and boat make/model added!

Ahem...

See you are making the same mistake as Hotrod, Comprehension is key

Sorry about that. I really f'ed up! Here you go(pic added). Please accept the tits as my apologies. Don't know how I could have forgot to give my opinion on Hotrod's boat. I'm following to see what happens when this thing leaves the marina. Should be a show!

post-99247-0-44112500-1371152160_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

Oh you are all so cruel !!!!

popcorn check, beer check.

P.S. He knows he is called hotrod on here because thats what he has named his business on LinkedIn. So if you are reading this Rod, (thousands of times no doubt), know that there is one person on the planet, who is rooting for you.

Not this planet of course. B)

Looks like there is already one wreck there, some convenient pilings, and some ruins to squat in

on East Marin

Looking at Kirwan's chart, at low tide HR can *walk* back from that island.

I'm wondering what would (will) happen if (when) he misses the deadline. Will they chain lock the boat at the dock? Take him to court? Yell? Give an extension? Launching that boat was a bad idea. Things can only get worse.

I doubt the marina would want to take possesion of any of HR's stuff, er liabilities. I would have to believe that the harbormaster for this jurisdiction has been consulted and that he has a gameplan in place. That individual had a brief quote regarding HR in one of the published news accounts, so he has to be aware of it. If he is not standing by at the ready for either the attempted passage or the trespassing call from the Marina then he should be fired.

What sort tow boat power is he going to need? A small whaler I can't even see having enough grunt to push the flying H back to the dock to snug spring lines when the breeze comes through the marina.

Hope the harley is a fatboy with mud tyres....... Intrigued to know what he hopes to achieve with the 2hp outboard...... unless it is being used internally to shift his "water ballast", water the tomatoes or as a cement mixer for the rapidset concrete.....

When I posted a picture of the outboard I thought it was electric, like a Seagull or something. Under closer inspection, it looks more like a 1931 Johnson gas powered 2 horse. BTW, 1931 is NOT the model number.

The Harley and the Seagull. Still floating 7 PM PDT June 9, 2013attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hope the harley is a fatboy with mud tyres....... Intrigued to know what he hopes to achieve with the 2hp outboard...... unless it is being used internally to shift his "water ballast", water the tomatoes or as a cement mixer for the rapidset concrete.....

When I posted a picture of the outboard I thought it was electric, like a Seagull or something. Under closer inspection, it looks more like a 1931 Johnson gas powered 2 horse. BTW, 1931 is NOT the model number.

You were right the first time, it is a British Seagull outboard. They are a simple 2 stroke gas outboard with a basic design that dates to WW2. The one in the picture could be 4 hp. I had one about 40 years ago as an auxiliary on a small sailboat. It is much too small to add much propulsion to this catamaran!

From Wikipedia:

"A claimant to the title of the first ship to make the transatlantic trip substantially under steam power is the British-built Dutch-owned Curaçao, a wooden 438 ton vessel built in Dover and powered by two 50 hp engines, which crossed from Hellevoetsluis, near Rotterdam on 26 April 1827 to Paramaribo, Surinam on 24 May"

Surely then HotRod can get by with a half dozen Seagulls strapped to the back...

HR's Seagull looks like a Model 102-out of production since the early 60s.

You'd be surprised by the Seagulls- a Seagull Silver Century would actually push the FH around a gated marina, albeit slowly. I've seen them pushing 70' steel narrowbeam canal boats over here that weigh rather a lot more than the FH, and are pushing water along a canal too.

However, if a gnat farts quietly nearby, the wind would push it everywhere. Not really a problem on a British canal with a big steel boat that just bumps the bank and carries on...

Based upon earlier MO I am predicting he will get a couple of runabouts with serious engines to tow him someplace, but do it in the dead of night.

Probably wrong, but its fun to guess right?

He could go up the delta and around the corner to where all the old Navy ships are mothballed and rafteed up. What's one more wreck in the pile?

Seagull outboards are not electric, they're eclectic...

and fueled with petrol.

here:

http://www.britishseagull.co.uk/history.php

Other than the Harley, is there a strong point on the FH for the Whaler attach a tow? Judging by the photos surely it's more likely that the tow will pull the 'strong' point clean off/out?

tie a knot @ end of clothesline & throw over transom

slam BBQ lid over knot

tie other end to dingy and pass underneath till in pulling position between bows

might be windy tho so why use a motor ....eh

a 15 MPH wind off either beam will give him about 800 lbs of lateral thrust that he's got to counter. He's also got to consider the tide speed and direction which is a bigger concern. If he goes at slack high tide ( his best bet ) then he's likely only dealing with minimal current in what looks like a big mud basin by the charts. If he goes real slow and everything goes just perfectly, as in not a single wave hits it and there's no wind over 15 MPH. He might be able to get away with 16~32 hp, but thats zero room for error. In a breeze that 8 hp two stroke I don't think would be enough to counter the wind even if it was not directly off either beam. If a 15 MPH breeze is hitting him bow on, he's likely to just barely be able to stand still in the water. And thats just wind, those numbers do not consider water resistance or compensating for any current, tidal or not. If this thing weighs 25000 lbs then that 4 hp would get him up to about 2 knots at best in dead flat dead calm conditions. In a nutshell he's unlikely to be able to even stay in the channel with less than 35 hp and thats cutting it really really close. 65 HP might tow this crate at 4 knots which is about as fast as I think it can go without falling apart in its own wake.

Come the first bow wave and its all over. One free HD for salvage to the first guy who can fish it out. ;-)

Oh please lordy let there be a camera on hand for this ;-)

Looks like Woody found HR's design inspiration... if the FH ever makes it to San Diego, he'll have company:

13BC030853.JPG

that thing was moored just a day ago 4 boats down from me in coronado!!!Its a beast and is actually quite nice

Looks like Woody found HR's design inspiration... if the FH ever makes it to San Diego, he'll have company:

13BC030853.JPG

that thing was moored just a day ago 4 boats down from me in coronado!!!Its a beast and is actually quite nice

That fine ride was listed for $10,000 & might have sold for 1/2 or less

I use to look at it as quite a POS - till this thread

It's Questionable to be sure But 10,000 X more solid than H-R's POS

H-R would have been far better off to but this heap and stack cargo containers on or around it till he gets the cubic hectors of living space

this one has been floating for Many Many Years on the Hook off of the Bali Hai in harms way (says something for it)

13BC030855.JPG

Diference between bunsh of muling pusies on this thred and Jamse Lane is evyrone knose who and wheir he is

all thay no about you lot is what you are

Diference between bunsh of muling pusies on this thred and Jamse Lane is evyrone knose who and wheir he is

??????????????????????

Snaerk seems to have a bad case of the Snaggies. And s/he hasn't shown any tits yet, so I say we ignore her/him.

The wannabe doesn't make any sense, no how.

Oh my goodness, no! How could we possibly ignore our dear Snaerk when her deliberately misspelled words and carefully colloquial grammar are just so endearingly droll. It's purest poetry, it is, and remarkably entertaining. My glory, how I do look forward to her every insightful comment and piercing witticism. . . . . .

Oh shit--sorry about that. Had it stuck in [sarcasm] mode.

Every now and again they wind up looking for a "keeper" of the Brothers light and BnB. Maybe this is one of those "thens". He could wash ashore and make do by keeping the light in order and fix in a bunch-o-breakfasts and makin da beds. If only the wind is just right.

P.S. He knows he is called hotrod on here because thats what he has named his business on LinkedIn. So if you are reading this Rod, (thousands of times no doubt), know that there is one person on the planet, who is rooting for you.

Pssst, just between you and me, I think the Linkedin profile is someone's little joke mate......... ;).....

Here, I'll translate. I have teenage daughters, I speak txt.

--------

There is in fact a difference between James Lane and most everyone else on this thread, in that the folks here are a bunch of stubborn, yet surprisingly complaining folks who resemble scared little kittens, and there is a further difference in that James is out in the world, wearing his heart on his sleeve, he did something big, his phone number is published, and anyone who wants to find him knows exactly where he is.

On the other hand, most of the folks on this thread, with their store-bought boats get to enjoy a level of anonymity with their spurious barbs at my grandfather James Lane.

And further, while all of the otherwise friendly folks here know so much about my grandfather, the only thing that my grandfather and I know about you is that you all are a lot of nogoodnicks, a collected group of meanies who looks for all the bad in my grandfather while not acknowledging that at least he tried to do something new.

----------

Just an aside Snaerk, since it looks like that Harley is going to end up at the bottom of the bay with a wake from a passing water palm frond, can you ask James if he would make an even swap with that bike for an old engine block from a 1973 Chevy Vega? I'll throw in a rope, and it will make a Jim Dandy anchor, better anchor than that Harley.

The difference between 'Angel WInd' (see above) and 'Sink'n Hawaiian' is that Angel WInd has been in the water for years and is still floating...

"Sink'n" will last about an hour as it gets dragged through the channel.

Has a salvage company been selected yet to clean up the mess???

Is it still just a shell, or has he added the drywall and installed the appliances yet?? Furniture? is it onboard?

I would imagine he would load the sectional recliner on the boat prior to leaving the dock.

Power_Reclining_Sectional_Sofa_17800_Ash

--------

There is in fact a difference between James Lane and most everyone else on this thread, in that the folks here are a bunch of stubborn, yet surprisingly complaining folks who resemble scared little kittens, and there is a further difference in that James is out in the world, wearing his heart on his sleeve, he did something big, his phone number is published, and anyone who wants to find him knows exactly where he is.

On the other hand, most of the folks on this thread, with their store-bought boats get to enjoy a level of anonymity with their spurious barbs at my grandfather/uncle James Lane.

And further, while all of the otherwise friendly folks here know so much about my grandfather/uncle, the only thing that my grandfather/uncle and I know about you is that you all are a lot of nogoodnicks, a collected group of meanies who looks for all the bad in my grandfather/uncle while not acknowledging that at least he tried to do something new.

-

Updated: You missed half of the family tree.

Apparently ol' Hot Rod is now in the boatbuilding business.......

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/james-lane/2a/444/5b6

For those who do not have a linkin account, please notice the photo on Rod's Profile.

James Lane

owner at hotrod's yachts

3ec8432.jpg

Can't be HR,-he's managed to spell 'yacht' correctly. It's highly unlikely to be him given that his 'offspring' only appear to be able to use the alphabet because it's printed on a keyboard.

--------

On the other hand, most of the folks on this thread, with their store-bought boats get to enjoy a level of anonymity with their spurious barbs at my grandfather/uncle James Lane.

And further, while all of the otherwise friendly folks here know so much about my grandfather/uncle, the only thing that my grandfather/uncle and I know about you is that you all are a lot of nogoodnicks, a collected group of meanies who looks for all the bad in my grandfather/uncle while not acknowledging that at least he tried to do something new.

-

Updated: You missed half of the family tree.

He's her grandfather/uncle? Are you sure we aren't confusing them with the Ozarks?

come on, its friday and have no pics!

someone has to be near by with a day off ;)

I'd like an LIVE Up-Date

but somehow Hot Rod and Friday Pix just sounds Kreepy :blink::wacko:

Is it still just a shell, or has he added the drywall and installed the appliances yet?? Furniture? is it onboard?

I would imagine he would load the sectional recliner on the boat prior to leaving the dock.

Power_Reclining_Sectional_Sofa_17800_Ash

I like that, it matches my speedo

Wonder what would happen if they "Lean" on the Frying WhoWhyin to get out

Clean did you get a Video ????????????

OK ya bunch of Slackers

From my home in DAGO I found out the Plywood Pyramid

(1) was turned to face the other direction

(2) gifted a reprieve till the 19th to GTFO

Do things Really have to happen in DAGO to be covered ???

I guess my only response to Snaerks comments would be to point out that when a man goes against all reason or sanity and builds, an obvious to the rest of us, death trap; those observing might become more and more boisterous in there admonitions of the coming disaster. To the point where it become as comical as it has.

The construction methods used are entirely and completely inadequate to the task and would be considered substandard even in outbuilding construction of the cheapest kind. Thats a cold cruel fact ole James might just consider facing up to, rather than simply bull dogging ahead, thinking the worlds out to get him by commenting on the outrageously poor quality of the work.

Instead ignoring the fact that pretty much everyone who knows anything at all about building a boat is saying the exact same thing about this monstrosity, why don't you sit your father uncle or whatever down and try and warn him of the fact that he's screwed up this build so horrendously that its manifestly unsafe and really should never be taken out past the breakwater. Its certainly not safe to rent as any kind of residence and its absolutely not seaworthy.

A rational person would take a moment and reconsider, by refusing to do so, I and others have questioned ole James's perception of reality. You'd be doing him a favor and likely saving his life by informing the coast guard yourself of this little creation and asking them to at least inspect it before dear ole dad gets out there and drowns himself. In a nutshell your just as guilty as he if anyone gets hurt since you've obviously been reading along and are clearly aware of just what a mess he's made of this build.

He and his son just might drown if you don't wake up and smell the roses

Cheers and best of luck
B

fuck you both, I got dibs.... but woody, come on man, bring the woodie down and post a 24-7 watch on that mofo. Inquiring minds want to know.... ya know....??

fuck you both, I got dibs.... but woody, come on man, bring the woodie down and post a 24-7 watch on that mofo. Inquiring minds want to know.... ya know....??

Thank You for the offer

I once had an offer to bring DA-WOODY on an Alaskan Cruise

Free Ride Launch Down & Up for a spin around the IceBergs

However as I have said before

I'll not Expose me YACHT to a Likely Calving Situation

I'll be up in FRISCO (that bunches panties every time) for the America's Cup

you get Hot Rod to come out mid-bay and I'll circle around getting Video as well as Stills

"THAT'S" where the Money shot of 2013 shall be taken :o

Yet I'm afraid that's like saying: Call me when your in the Finals of

I'v Got Talent - Dancing with Da-Stars - American Idle or a RoadRunner-Cartoon ;)

Jus Sayin :rolleyes:

And they are different heights again. Arent there any women out there who are capable of symmetry ?

No it's parralax from the shooting angle down and from the side. Poor plants.....

Now, what about an update on the Flyin' Hawaiin? Lil Murray? somebody has to video this departure. If I wasn't on the right coast, I would do it myself.....

I sailed out to the entrance of San Rafael Canal yesterday, June 14, at 4:00 PM. It was high tide. The Flyin Hawaiian was still tied up at the dock. Green Marker 17 marks the canal entrance. From there it is 1.3 nautical miles to the marina entrance. Marker 17 is the beginning of a 30 foot wide channel that was dredged in 2002, according to the Loch Lomond Marina website. It was less than 10 feet deep at the canal entrance, and that was as far as I wanted to go. I would only navigate this channel on a rising tide, and if my life depended on it. --there is one line of channel markers about 1/4 mile apart. too narrow and too shallow! So that's as close to LLM as I'll ever be on the water, unless its from a flat bottom boat. I draw 3.5 feet. I was hoping to get some video of HR's departure (which was postponed of course). But I don't think that FH will be able to come out that far. A previous poster recently predicted he would get fouled if he attempts to navigate the canal and I say that is spot on.

The FH is visible from 2 miles away when driving westbound on the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. Sorry HR, there's no way out for you.

I sailed out to the entrance of San Rafael Canal yesterday, June 14, at 4:00 PM. It was high tide. The Flyin Hawaiian was still tied up at the dock. Green Marker 17 marks the canal entrance. From there it is 1.3 nautical miles to the marina entrance. Marker 17 is the beginning of a 30 foot wide channel that was dredged in 2002, according to the Loch Lomond Marina website. It was less than 10 feet deep at the canal entrance, and that was as far as I wanted to go. I would only navigate this channel on a rising tide, and if my life depended on it. --there is one line of channel markers about 1/4 mile apart. too narrow and too shallow! So that's as close to LLM as I'll ever be on the water, unless its from a flat bottom boat. I draw 3.5 feet. I was hoping to get some video of HR's departure (which was postponed of course). But I don't think that FH will be able to come out that far. A previous poster recently predicted he would get fouled if he attempts to navigate the canal and I say that is spot on.

The FH is visible from 2 miles away when driving westbound on the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. Sorry HR, there's no way out for you.

Thanks for the straight poop!

It's a catamaran, remember, so H-R is probably planning on navigating the narrow channel by flying a hull.

If the wingsail isn't ready, he could always do that by tying a few hundred weather balloons to one side.

How deep is Hot Rod getting?

Loch Lomond Marina Rates

Side tie, @ $9.50/ft. = 617.50 per month

Live aboard Fee. 300.00 per month

==================================

917.50 per month

I wonder if he was running behind on his rental payments while on the hard?

If so, he never should have been allowed to launch. I hope the marina management takes responsibility for the clean up. It is clearly their fault, not taxpayers. Would be a lot cheaper had it stayed on land. But Loch Lomond appears to be run by idiots, for idiots.

When it breaks up and sinks in the narrow channel and blocks navigation, he'll be REAL popular with the rest of the tenants. THEN 'sombody' will ask "shouldn't that 'boat' (and I use that term loosely) have been inspected at some point ?"

Wonder who will get sued ? ( it's California, SOMEBODY is getting dragged to court )

Nice report, Oro.... I've been hoping to be able to do that same thing... take a look at the channel and decide; and I'd probably make the same choice you did; no need to test the keel bolts.

More SF bay info: the bottom is muck. Slimy, deep, oozing goo. there's no walking on it. You can be aground for a while before you realize it. Except where it's rocky.

My prediction may have been dire, but I guess I post it more as a warning, in case someone from the FH camp is reading along.

So, Here's my 2 cents of advice to Rod:

- Lighten up now. The next move isn't your big one, you might as well leave heavy stuff like the motorcycle ashore for now. The same for valuables or anything that would be hard to ferry ashore. Truck it, store it, we'll get you a ride from your destination back to your truck.

- With any new boat, it's important to start slow and easy to see how she handles wind, waves and current. Catamarans are known to sort of twist, where the right bow goes up and the left bow goes down. This will really stress your joints, watch how they do during this.

- Even with sails down, the FH has a lot of surface area for the wind to push on. Always be aware of what the wind is doing to the boat, even when you aren't "sailing"

- Work out your anchoring methods now. That chevy engine block wasn't such a bad suggestion (please clean it), but have your chain, rope and attachment points ready. And ready on the day of the move as a contingency - dropping the hook lets you solve problems before they become BIG problems.

- Have contingency plans. I know you're broke, and hate to have to pay, but decide now if you're willing to pay a $500 tow to avoid having the whole thing pushed into the rocks.

- Get your outboards mounted now - while we snicker at them, when the going gets tough, every little bit helps, and they might work like thrusters to help you turn.

Good luck to Captain and Crew of the Flyin' Hawaiian. Please stay safe, have fun and try not to make too big of a mess.

Here's a current event playing out in Richmond, about 9 nautical miles from HRs current location. It's amazing to me how lenient authorities and "responsible parties" can act toward certain boat owners. This guy gets an additional 10 day grace period when his boat is already wrecked on the rocks. One news report said that the Coast Guard would have the boat repaired, towed, and destroyed. What about the fuel and oil pollution risk here, and the fact that these low lifers are POOPing in the bay.

The Richmond boat could have been impounded by the Richmond Harbor Master when it was illegally berthed. Harbor Master at Loch Lomond also has a responsibility to protect the Bay and mariner safety. Allowing the uninsured and dead-beat Flyin Hawaiian to go in the water was a colossal mistake.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_23455650/registered-sex-offender-beaches-boat-marina-bay-park

Here's a current event playing out in Richmond, about 9 nautical miles from HRs current location. It's amazing to me how lenient authorities and "responsible parties" can act toward certain boat owners. This guy gets an additional 10 day grace period when his boat is already wrecked on the rocks. One news report said that the Coast Guard would have the boat repaired, towed, and destroyed. What about the fuel and oil pollution risk here, and the fact that these low lifers are POOPing in the bay.

The Richmond boat could have been impounded by the Richmond Harbor Master when it was illegally berthed. Harbor Master at Loch Lomond also has a responsibility to protect the Bay and mariner safety. Allowing the uninsured and dead-beat Flyin Hawaiian to go in the water was a colossal mistake.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_23455650/registered-sex-offender-beaches-boat-marina-bay-park

PHAT WOODY?? Name for a sex offenders boat? WTF!

edit.. Trash it now.

If Marina allowed an uninsured, unseaworthy, inoperable vessel into their water, then they probably violated their own policies. Now they want him to go away, gently in the night, hoping that their legal liability goes say with it.

excerpts from Marina's web-site:

6. Tenant agrees to have the Vessel covered by a minimum $1,000,000 for over 50’ in liability coverage (per occurrence). The Marina shall be named as an additional insured. Tenant agrees to release, discharge and waive any claim against the Marina and the other Owners for any and all damage to persons or property arising out of or in connection with this agreement. This release and discharge shall include, without limitation, any loss or damage resulting from the Marina’s employees parking or hauling the Vessel, vandalism, theft, fire, hail, high or low water, wind, collision, ice, rain or any acts beyond the Marina’s reasonable control.

7. By signing this rental agreement, Licensee grants permission to the Marina to move or remove the Vessel at the discretion of the Harbormaster. The Vessel may also be moved from its assigned berth to another berth. Tenant agrees to hold Marina harmless from and against any claims arising out of or in connection with any such move, and waives any and all claims it may have or obtain against the Marina in such connection.

8. Any vessel which, in the Marina’s sole judgment, becomes unseaworthy, dilapidated, inoperable or in a badly deteriorated condition shall not be permitted to berth at any location within the Marina.

So if they damage your craft due to complete incompetence, clumsiness, or inexperience by their employees....

"any loss or damage resulting from the Marina’s employees parking or hauling the Vessel," and "The Vessel may also be moved from its assigned berth to another berth. Tenant agrees to hold Marina harmless from and against any claims arising out of or in connection with any such move, and waives any and all claims it may have or obtain against the Marina in such connection."

uh huh. right...

Isn't it impossible for a boat to * become * dilapidated or unseaworthy if it is already built that way? Therefore the marina wouldn't have a problem with Fly Hi's condition.

Updated info: NOAA chart 18653, 2012 has the following note about the channel:

"The controlling depth was 4 feet for a mid width of 50 feet from the channel entrance to the mouth of San Rafael Creek..." Rules my boat out altogether (5ft draft).

What was his date- the 19th? There's a big flood in the evening; he could leave at 4, and have till after midnight to get to his destination - there's a big ebb after that, but a minor high tide at noon on the 20th.

Hey, something I haven't heard mention in his extensive instrumentation... does the boat have a depthsounder?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sextant

2. sextant

a person who has sex with animals or objects, such as a dog or a stuffed animal.

a person who prefers sex with dolls or masturbating rather than sex with another person.

"hey, did you see that guy having sex with a cow?"

yeah dude, that was sick. he's a sextant."

by John Joseph Feb 7, 2007 add a video

3. Sextant

A person who as sexual intercourse with an animal or objects, such as baloons.

A person who perfers sex with a doll rather than a person.

"A man was having sex with a stuffed animal"

"Man, He's a sextant"

by John Joseph Feb 6, 2007 add a video

4. Sextant

A person who engages in the act of sexting
Bro 1: dude i was totally sexting Ashley last night

Bro 2: you are just a little sextant arent you? always sexting somebody

Bro 1: true true

Bro 2: it happens

Bro 1: yep, you'll have that

by Classy_Bambi Apr 11, 2010 add a video

I am stunned that on a nautical site you do not know what a sextant is... (British spelling is Sextent)

It is the thing you pitch on the deck to hide the carnal activities...

Also used in parks and on beaches.

:(

In case you have a problem with the visualization of the sextent please peruse the following images...

The first is singular...

ferry%20tents.jpg

this was a regular orgy... note the multiple sextents...

tents.jpg

My boat, with 4.5 draft has been kept in Loch Lomond in the past and now resides on the Canal near downtown San Rafael. A tide +1 is all that is required to get in and out with my version of peace of mind. There are only two kinds of captains on the Canal and at LL, those that have run aground and those that lie about it. The really hard spot, ie rock, in the neighborhood would only be a concern for HR if he get blown towards San Rafael.

The charts imply there is a channel between Marker #1 and #17. If you look at the chart it is pretty much the same depth from #1 out to the ships channel any direction you take towards the channel.. Again at +1, once I hit #1 I either set course for Red Rock or Brothers.

Currents are a real comcern, once past Marin Islands, which are a Marine Sanctuary, there is no access. Between where the LL channell joins the San Rafael Channel and the Marin Islands there is little current, especilly on the ebb, but past #1 it can get nasty. See current chart: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7758645/SF%20current%20chart.pdf. I will leave this link up until July.

The intersection of the two channels has shoaling in the corners, that will be a concern for HR if he doesn't make that turn very wide. Stayig in the LL channel is tough and I've got plenty of hp to nelp me along, just outside the channel is soft sticky goo, you cannot walk on it, you probably can't retrieve the Harley....

I suffered the impression that the wind in that region is westerly during the summer, after all, it is in the slot (Main Bay from GG Bridge to Berkeley is locally known as the Slot). Actually it is quite variable depending on how hard it is blowing in the slot. The wind goes through the Gate and makes a counter clockwise turn into San Pablo Bay. With >20k wind you typcall get some sort of Southerly, more than 25 and the westerly can come into play. The counter clockwiise winds appear to straighten and eventually be overcome by the westerlies as the winds increase. I have sailed downwind from Angel Island W bound to North in San Pablo Bay and west into the Canal past LL without changing the spinnaker Everything was just right. There is regularly short chop blowing up from the South, some days that is makes kayaking from LL very exciting. That may make HRs turn out of the LL Channel very difficult and if he does make it he will have some pounding to start his east bound trek.

I don't thing the FH draws that much water other than with those ridiculous rudders down. If it weighs say 25000 lbs which is probably light and if the hulls are say 4' wide and 65 long, flat bottomed, with a block C of say 0.65 then he's only drawing about 14" of water. Less if his hulls are wider and I'm kinda thinking they are but, who knows. 10" if his hulls are 6' wide, its just he has nothing to steer with unless he puts the rudders down and they don't exactly look like they're going to do him much good.

He'd be better off having build an old Trireme and just planned on hiring some oarsmen, which might just be his best bet. Drilling in some oarlocks and hitting up some garage sales for oars, buy a few cases of beer and making a day of it. With lots of shallow draft life boats handy of course.

My take isn't that he'll get stuck drifting outside the channel unless of course he puts down those silly rudders, its that he can't angle into the wind or tide and still have the depth for his tow vehicle. If he had a dead calm day with a slack tide/zero current and the right HP short neck outboards I'd say he's got a shot at getting out of the marina and into the main channel, minus the tow vehicle. Course thats were the real fun begins. First bow wave that hits that thing and its all over, and oh what a world it would be to not get that on film.

I think someone nailed it when they suggested the marina is just trying to get out of the mess they let themselves into by allowing this cluster fuck to run on. Its a legal mess just waiting to happen. That million dollar policy has gotta cost 1k a month and I'm sure that particular boat couldn't pass an inspection by the local cub scout troop let alone an insurance inspector. Ole Rod Moe seems so in over his head that there's no way he can cough up the 1k insurance premium plus dock and live aboard fees. Granted I've no idea what his means might actually be, but given the mickey mouse building skills I'd be very leery of his making good an any damages. I'm not sure they could refuse him to launch, particularly if its a public ramp. Even as a private ramp he could try and claim unfair/deceptive business practices if they let him build and pay for rent to build, for two years, but then refused to allow him to launch.

Its a real question as to why, unless they were really hurting that bad for the revenue, as to why they let him even start, when more and more marina's are shutting out woody's altogether let alone allowing long term builds.

Anyway eagerly awaiting the 19 ? was it ?

Lets just hope he doesn't try this with the HD on deck.

You'd think that he would have cashed in the harley and everything else and stocked up with drywall, turning blocks, winches and everything else necessary to get this pos ready for world cruising... How he is going to load all that stuff onboard while swinging from an anchor in the bay ? His options are narrowing fast. He is circling the plug well and truly, blissfully unaware. Lets hope this ends without fatalities, but its not looking like it will.

If Marina allowed an uninsured, unseaworthy, inoperable vessel into their water, then they probably violated their own policies. Now they want him to go away, gently in the night, hoping that their legal liability goes say with it.

excerpts from Marina's web-site:

6. Tenant agrees to have the Vessel covered by a minimum $1,000,000 for over 50’ in liability coverage (per occurrence). ...

Liability coverage might not require a survey of the boat so I guess it's possible he has it. I'd love to see a surveyor's reaction to this boat.

The policy against inoperable vessels must have some exceptions. What if a boat that lives at the marina goes out and breaks? It has to come home to be fixed, meaning it has to come home inoperable.

You'd think that he would have cashed in the harley and everything else and stocked up with drywall, turning blocks, winches and everything else necessary to get this pos ready for world cruising... How he is going to load all that stuff onboard while swinging from an anchor in the bay ? His options are narrowing fast. He is circling the plug well and truly, blissfully unaware. Lets hope this ends without fatalities, but its not looking like it will.

Oh I dunno about fatalities

1- It's too late for Darwin since HR has apparently already figured out how to reproduce

2- stumbing around like the village idiot has become almost universally popular, and vigorous efforts to idiot-proof the world have made a lot of progress the past couple decades.

3- Besides, it's most likely that this cata-packingcrate-amaran will break up & "sink" in water that is waist deep or less.

Kinda bummed that HR & Sons got a reprieve from the ward nurse harbormaster. I made book on the 18th and now have little more than 48 hours. Hopeful though... rust never sleeps and neither does water creeping in along slowly-soggy seams.

FB- Doug

meuritt, your Dropbox link didn't work...

Tom ray: can you imagine how a surveyors report might look? How about "get this out of the water ASAP"

You don't always need a marine survey to get liability insurance, but the insurance agent usually likes to see the boat before writing a policy. The insurance agent's primary concern is a boat being abandoned or sinking in the Marina. It's an expensive clean up. And FH could block the Marina channel, adding loss of use to every other tenant. Liability insurance should be required on every vessel, as it is with vehicles. That would solve a lot of problems!

Lefty: that spot has been cleaned up since right after the splash. The question is, where did the trailer and Lift go? Still at bottom of ramp maybe?

Boston: yes, fun begins if he gets past marker 17. Depths go to 50 feet, and there is a lot of tidal current and wind there. The nearby bridge was built at the narrows, so it's a "happening spot".