65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

I don't think it will have time to rust, he might even make it over the mud flats assuming the winds blowing in the right direction and he doesn't put the rudders down. But he'd be better off just pulling back up out of the water now and getting it over with as safely as possible

I don't think it will have time to rust, he might even make it over the mud flats assuming the winds blowing in the right direction and he doesn't put the rudders down. But he'd be better off just pulling back up out of the water now and getting it over with as safely as possible

Lets face it, that's never going to happen...

I wonder if there actually is a reality show going on here-hidden cams,HR wired etc...

It'll probably appear when the FH sinks/breaks up.

rusting steel screws with phillips head slots that fill up with water, rust and cannot then be undone and replaced.

The iron from the screws will permeate the wood, transforming it into super-wood. Steel reinforced, in fact.

So what are they going to fasten the towing lines to. Are there bollards or cleats on deck? Maybe the windlass. Surely not those 2X4s. Oh wait................

I have mixed feelings about wanting HR to tie the tow ropes to the mast. It would be really sad if they didn't remain upright before even attempting to sail.

You'd think that he would have cashed in the harley and everything else and stocked up with drywall, turning blocks, winches and everything else necessary to get this pos ready for world cruising... How he is going to load all that stuff onboard while swinging from an anchor in the bay ? His options are narrowing fast. He is circling the plug well and truly, blissfully unaware. Lets hope this ends without fatalities, but its not looking like it will.

Oh I dunno about fatalities

1- It's too late for Darwin since HR has apparently already figured out how to reproduce

2- stumbing around like the village idiot has become almost universally popular, and vigorous efforts to idiot-proof the world have made a lot of progress the past couple decades.

3- Besides, it's most likely that this cata-packingcrate-amaran will break up & "sink" in water that is waist deep or less.

Kinda bummed that HR & Sons got a reprieve from the ward nurse harbormaster. I made book on the 18th and now have little more than 48 hours. Hopeful though... rust never sleeps and neither does water creeping in along slowly-soggy seams.

FB- Doug

Darwin might be allowing for the whole clan to be aboard :) He works in mysterious ways B)

But really, in a case like this I really doubt HR will get far enough from shore to actually be in life-threatening danger...

Then again, Bart Simpson (olympic gold sailing medalist) recently lost his life when the Artemis 72 super cat capsized :(

I'm certain the whole team followed all safety procedures also

So what are they going to fasten the towing lines to. Are there bollards or cleats on deck? Maybe the windlass. Surely not those 2X4s. Oh wait................

I have mixed feelings about wanting HR to tie the tow ropes to the mast. It would be really sad if they didn't remain upright before even attempting to sail.

I'm thinking Army surplus harness and nets wrapped around the hulls to tow the cat without point loading it in any one spot too much. The only thing that remains is can HR find a Craigs list power boat big enough to tow it for the right price that won't go up in a ball of flames or sink as the rotted out stern drive drops out of the back of the boat?

Nice report, Oro.... I've been hoping to be able to do that same thing... take a look at the channel and decide; and I'd probably make the same choice you did; no need to test the keel bolts.

More SF bay info: the bottom is muck. Slimy, deep, oozing goo. there's no walking on it. You can be aground for a while before you realize it. Except where it's rocky.

My prediction may have been dire, but I guess I post it more as a warning, in case someone from the FH camp is reading along.

So, Here's my 2 cents of advice to Rod:

- Lighten up now. The next move isn't your big one, you might as well leave heavy stuff like the motorcycle ashore for now. The same for valuables or anything that would be hard to ferry ashore. Truck it, store it, we'll get you a ride from your destination back to your truck.

- With any new boat, it's important to start slow and easy to see how she handles wind, waves and current. Catamarans are known to sort of twist, where the right bow goes up and the left bow goes down. This will really stress your joints, watch how they do during this.

- Even with sails down, the FH has a lot of surface area for the wind to push on. Always be aware of what the wind is doing to the boat, even when you aren't "sailing"

- Work out your anchoring methods now. That chevy engine block wasn't such a bad suggestion (please clean it), but have your chain, rope and attachment points ready. And ready on the day of the move as a contingency - dropping the hook lets you solve problems before they become BIG problems.

- Have contingency plans. I know you're broke, and hate to have to pay, but decide now if you're willing to pay a $500 tow to avoid having the whole thing pushed into the rocks.

- Get your outboards mounted now - while we snicker at them, when the going gets tough, every little bit helps, and they might work like thrusters to help you turn.

Good luck to Captain and Crew of the Flyin' Hawaiian. Please stay safe, have fun and try not to make too big of a mess.

Great post! +1

I'm thinking Army surplus harness and nets wrapped around the hulls to tow the cat without point loading it in any one spot too much. The only thing that remains is can HR find a Craigs list power boat big enough to tow it for the right price that won't go up in a ball of flames or sink as the rotted out stern drive drops out of the back of the boat?

Just occured to me using this approach will make clean up much easier one could just winch the bag full of debri ashore to an awaiting dump truck. Just say'n its not really that bad of an idea.

Like DC in 1987 w DA-Ribblits

H-R could use

ph-shrink2.jpeg

&

shrink-film-02.jpg

&

shrinkwrap.jpg

Oh wait it would more likely Crush it from the pressure :o

Are those charts in feet or fathoms? If it's feet, San Pablo Bay is barely more than a mud flat. I bought a Columbia 43 with a 7' draft out of San Rafael (had it trucked away) so it's possible to get a fairly deep boat in & out of there.

Maybe it was trucked in too

The charts are in feet. At minus tides you might imagine you could walk to the Richmond Bridge, but you'd get sucked into the mud. I nearly got stuck out there once on a falling tide in my kayak and just barely made it to the channel before the water left.

Sorry 'bout the extra period on my earlier post. Dachshunds rule, i have a sailing one as well Oronoco

Mike

Are those charts in feet or fathoms? If it's feet, San Pablo Bay is barely more than a mud flat. I bought a Columbia 43 with a 7' draft out of San Rafael (had it trucked away) so it's possible to get a fairly deep boat in & out of there.

Maybe it was trucked in too

Nope - sailed up from Santa Monica and then lived aboard at Lowries marina. It was an estate sale so I couldn't talk to the previous owner about it. I guess he must have gone in at high tide by the sound of that channel. There was a big old Baltic Trader tied up in the canal in town and it had to get in there somehow - IT sure wasn't trucked anywhere.

The charts are in feet. At minus tides you might imagine you could walk to the Richmond Bridge, but you'd get sucked into the mud. I nearly got stuck out there once on a falling tide in my kayak and just barely made it to the channel before the water left.

Sorry 'bout the extra period on my earlier post. Dachshunds rule, i have a sailing one as well Oronoco

Mike

Thanks for that. You'd sure never know it was that shallow looking at it - looks just like ocean. :) I guess all that huge marsh area at the top of the bay must have looked like SP bay at one time.

More info for those watching from afar...

Yes, the soundings are in feet, and it's at Mean Low Water... but the tide does go negative. Sunday, June 23rd has a -1.8 ft low forecasted.

The chart posted by both Meuritt and Oro is the standard current chart - boat stores and marinas hand them out every year as a little book - same book I used to get in 1980.... looking at my 2013 book, I see:

Currents shown on the charts are for a nominal flood current of 3.3 kts and ebb current of 4.5kts at the Golden Gate. On bigger tide swings, the numbers on the charts are multiplied by the ratio of 'today's max current' to those numbers. For reference, next weekend the Gate will see Ebbs of 6.1 knots, and Floods of 5+ Knots, so multiply the numbers shown by 1.5

If Rod found himself in the main channel at max Ebb this weekend, he could see 4.6 knots of current; it's unlikely his flotilla can overcome that.

again, has he been putting the drywall and furniture on her yet or is it still just a shell? are the motors mounted? Has he even thought about the steering cable and what will happen when it malfunctions in a wonderful display or worthlessness. Inquiring minds and all that......

That Baltic Trader at the end of the canal hasn't moved in probably a decade, maybe two, not really sure. It is so silted in up there that it probably can't be taken out at the highest tide of the year. It's a Sea Scout base, but I recently heard they want to sell it. Somewhere aroud 0 tide, the masts start a southward list, away from shore, and the -1.8 coming it will be over as if she were sailing in a gale.

I'm thinking we should start posting

"Things you can build with parts of the Flyin Hawaiian ya find around the Bay"

This has been a Public Service anouncement B)

I spent a happy week of my life helping build that thing. Beyond Belief indeed. All went up in a (large) puff of smoke, of course.

Hmmm.... does Rod have fire extinguishers?

...or just do this for max enjoyment; this kinda parallels this thread for the past two years...substitute us for the frenchies and there ya go:

UPDATE:

His boat will sink. He did it wrong. He looked at thousands of boats. Had he looked at thousands of tits on the internet, he would have realized silicone floats and he was building in the wrong material. I just did my research and figured I should share the knowledge.

post-99247-0-57015500-1371655947.jpg

post-99247-0-05336400-1371655951.jpg

post-99247-0-15875700-1371655957_thumb.jpg

Your research is impeccable.

However, may I suggest a larger sampling and more detail?

Please?

Also, the middle picture is highly disturbing!

Is he showing her the interior contents of his FleshlightTM?

She appears pleased with what she sees, so I guess it's all good...

More plans on things you can build with the F-H's Flotsam could be helpful to pass the time

Someone could get started this afternoon

As I'll be going out on the water this evening

More info on the Floating properties of silicone would be nice

BUT as I live on the edge of the Sea a comparison to the Floating properties of saline are in order

On 3 - 2 - 1 ......................................?

More plans on things you can build with the F-H's Flotsam could be helpful to pass the time

BUT as I live on the edge of the Sea a comparison to the Floating properties of saline are in order

ply-front-right-side.jpg

ply-front-right-side.jpg

That's beautiful. Que Es?

ply-front-right-side.jpg

muy bonita!

ply-front-right-side.jpg

Toto, by Jim Michalak

ply-front-right-side.jpg

found it on google images.. http://compactcampingconcepts.wordpress.com/2011/10/29/other-plywood-projects-%E2%80%93-toto-kayak/

apparently came from this site.. maybe we can get HR listed..

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/

Nothing. Nothing at all. I fear that we have all been had. Or maybe we worked ourselves up so much that we(all) have prematurely ... well, you know...can I have a towel?

So, yeah...

Today's the day!

I don't suppose we are lucky enough to have any on-the-spot reporters who can waste an entire day waiting for the Clown Show to go mobile.

Pretty windy around these parts the last few days including today. I highly doubt he even tinkers with dock lines

Believe it or not, the yacht remains afloat at the dock. Installation of five windows is in progress. Solar panels arrived today and are intended to cover the windows. Winds remain strong and gusty, although weaker than yesterday.

So what happens if hot rod does not move in time?

The Marina is stuck between a rock and a hard place. They can't tow the boat, too much liability to even move it 10 feet. Chain it to the dock? Very unlikely

So the boat really stays where it until hot rod moves it, in reality he has as much time as he needs or wants to move it

Believe it or not, the yacht remains afloat at the dock.ÃÂÃÂÃÂ Installation of five windows is in progress.ÃÂÃÂÃÂ Solar panels arrived today and are intended to cover the windows.ÃÂÃÂÃÂ Winds remain strong and gusty, although weaker than yesterday.

Here it is yesterdaypost-25901-0-09259500-1371698967_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not, the yacht remains afloat at the dock.ÃÂÃÂÃÂ Installation of five windows is in progress.ÃÂÃÂÃÂ Solar panels arrived today and are intended to cover the windows.ÃÂÃÂÃÂ Winds remain strong and gusty, although weaker than yesterday.

Here it is yesterdayattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Believe it or not, the yacht remains afloat at the dock.ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ Installation of five windows is in progress.ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ Solar panels arrived today and are intended to cover the windows.ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ Winds remain strong and gusty, although weaker than yesterday.

Believe it or not, the yacht remains afloat at the dock.ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ Installation of five windows is in progress.ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ Solar panels arrived today and are intended to cover the windows.ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ Winds remain strong and gusty, although weaker than yesterday.

post-25901-0-72005200-1371699365_thumb.jpg

post-25901-0-92522100-1371699424_thumb.jpg

post-25901-0-10350300-1371699463_thumb.jpg

Problem for the marina is if he leaves because they make him and the inevitable happens he'll say they forced him to leave before the boat was ready and that is why he couldn't make way or steer end ended up wrecking it. He'll then take them to court for his perceived value.

Thank you brocksf.

that bow on angle beggars belief

Thanks, you all.

Looks I misunderestimated either the inherent toughness of soggy CDX ply, or HR's ability to patch things up as they fall apart (I bet on the 18th).

Looks like HR is very successful as a squatter, or should we not assume he's not paying for dockage?

FB- Doug

In that 3rd pic-the one with HotRod in- on the port bow, right at the waterline. Is that the 'tape' lifting?

The joins between the panels seem to be a lot more pronounced now too.

In that 3rd pic-the one with HotRod in- on the port bow, right at the waterline. Is that the 'tape' lifting?

Or is it the top of the diamond plate he installed on the bows?

Because the rest of the boat looks totally normal?

Yes, the bows are screwed up.

And the sterns.

And the rig.

And the deck hardware.

And the interior.

And the structural framing.

And the chines.

And the 3/8 CDX.

And the rudders.

And the steering cables.

This list is getting too long.

Can anyone mention ONE SINGLE PART of this boat that ISN'T screwed up?

Go the Rod! Clean, send Rod a burgee.... Quick... Before sailnet Scutlebuttfuck does....

fixed for you Red!!

Scuttlebuttfuck... Fixed it for you! I wonder if the collective brain trust here has ever actually completed a boat let alone a boat project except for applying Cetol to brightwork...

Because the rest of the boat looks totally normal?

Yes, the bows are screwed up.

And the sterns.

And the rig.

And the deck hardware.

And the interior.

And the structural framing.

And the chines.

And the 3/8 CDX.

And the rudders.

And the steering cables.

This list is getting too long.

Can anyone mention ONE SINGLE PART of this boat that ISN'T screwed up?

The Harley looks fairly clean, so far.

I wonder if the collective brain trust here has ever actually completed a boat let alone a boat project except for applying Cetol to brightwork...

Well, I'm a professional wooden boat-specialist shipwright, for one. That enough credentials for ya? Redviking, for you to somehow be defending the Hot Rod and his project here, however slightly, makes you to somewhat be an accomplice to his ignorance and delusion of adequacy. C'mon, dude! Go back a few pages and look at the interior construction details lilmurray posted again. Thumb through a book or two on boat construction. Hell, look at thousands of yachts. Note any differences?

I don't think it reflects very well on your own sense of judgement or empathy to be cheering on James Lane's attempts to get his family out into deep water in this desperately ill-conceived boat. The kindest thing would be for it to finish failing sooner rather than later, while the impact and the casualty list is as minimal as possible.

But if you honestly think this boat should try to make it out to Hawaii, you are as clueless and divorced from reality as the Hot Rod himself. Don't be that way, redviking! You have a chance to learn and reflect in ways that ol' Hot Rod can't any more since he's dug in to his hole so deeply. You owe it to yourself--even if only for the intellectual exercise, if not for the practical purpose of perhaps someday building your own boat--to really study and understand just why and how the Flying Hawaiin is so utterly and fractally wrong at every level of resolution.

Or is it the top of the diamond plate he installed on the bows?

Could be-it's totally mismatched with the other bow if it is though. Those seams are looking really manky thoug-quite badly raised off the joins. Is that how they looked before, or is that new?

Go the Rod! Clean, send Rod a burgee.... Quick... Before sailnet Scutlebuttfuck does....

fixed for you Red!!

Scuttlebuttfuck... Fixed it for you! I wonder if the collective brain trust here has ever actually completed a boat let alone a boat project except for applying Cetol to brightwork...

Built a 22' kayak and restored a 1953 Thistle from derelict to racer. Douchenozzle. I have no problem supporting someone who has vast experience in a subject, taking a concept that everyone else thinks is crazy and doing awesome with it. I do have a problem with someone with absolutely no knowledge or experience building something like this and expecting it to work.

once this thing starts breaking up will the Rod supporters head out to clean up the mess and pluck his butt out of the ocean, because ya know, at least he tried? Or will it be someone else's problem? It's great to go out and build something the wrong way and out of the wrong stuff, but do it on a scale that can be lived with when it goes wrong. Been there done that. That way you can move on. This situation is sad. Rod has too much of his $ in this thing for there to be a happy ending.

I gotta admit, I'm a bit envious of him in a couple respects. If he truly has no money, where is he getting the Airex windvane and the solar panels? I'm saving up for those myself.

once this thing starts breaking up will the Rod supporters head out to clean up the mess and pluck his butt out of the ocean, because ya know, at least he tried? Or will it be someone else's problem? It's great to go out and build something the wrong way and out of the wrong stuff, but do it on a scale that can be lived with when it goes wrong. Been there done that. That way you can move on. This situation is sad. Rod has too much of his $ in this thing for there to be a happy ending.

Must be a good story in that. Do tell.