65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

These photos were taken yesterday. He is going to have some serious navigation if he ever leaves Loch Lomond. The Marina office says "he's not ready and they are giving him 3 more weeks"

is that forward mast step beam new?

No, it went in when the mast did. I think it's 4x4 or 6x6 tubular steel. Remember to keep your cat light and the weight low.

When you zoom in on the first pic you can see some sort of molding at the hull/bridgedeck connection. I swear it looks like quarter round molding. See this link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=quarter+round+molding&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS543US543&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vd7uUbTPKonXygGgvYDACQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1092&bih=514

I don't see that mast step holding up to much mast compression before it deforms into the cabin top. There is a lot of unsupported span there.

You kidding? That's the strongest part of the boat thing!

You are probably right that it is the strongest part, but it is still a poor design.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

Can someone start roughing out some sail plans for this and posting them here?

I'm having a problem trying to figure out where the jib clew ends up.

I see a turnbuckle about eight feet up the forward stay off the sprit. I think the jib will be flown high off the deck; a strop to the tack from the bowsprit leaving the foot even with the cabin coach roof. Can only imagine the sag in that forestay! Hoisting a jib will likely dismast the forward stick-on-a-Thule rack, and/or rip one of the bowsprit whisker stays from the bow.

Now that I look closer, those whisker stay guide poles will collapse almost immediately, assuming that they are only secured by a plate underneath the bow deck platform. They are nowhere near perpendicular to the load, are at least 4 ft long, and are otherwise unsupported. That'll give plenty of momentum to the jib ripping that rig apart!

I know what show this reminds me of.... Junkyard Wars!

That's a needlessly cruel and cutting statement about Junkyard Wars - they built some neat shit out of scrap. The FH is just irredeemable junk. The only worthwhile thing that could be built with it is a honkin' big bonfire.

About 10-15 pages back someone opined that he would be frantically adding structural supports inside the boat and that it may surprise with its longevity. There have been numerous reports of work still happening and it is (highly surprisingly) still floating so that seems it may be the case.

C'mon, surely someone can sweet talk their way into getting some pics of the inside !

I really want to see the jury rigged extensions to the bridge deck cross beams etc etc.

Hi,

I'm Rob and I'm from Latitude and I'm here to help. May I please take some rather elegant photos for 'Latitude' to showcase your wonderful abode?

No? How 'bout some snapshots for those fuckers at SA?

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone? bueller?

I don't see that mast step holding up to much mast compression before it deforms into the cabin top. There is a lot of unsupported span there.

You kidding? That's the strongest part of the boat thing!

You are probably right that it is the strongest part, but it is still a poor design.

RIght... and who the fuck are you to criticize? I mean, how many 65' cheapo-ply-and-sheetrock catamarans have YOU sailed to Hawaii, huh? Huh?

FB- Doug

Hi,

I'm Rob and I'm from Latitude and I'm here to help. May I please take some rather elegant photos for 'Latitude' to showcase your wonderful abode?

Think he knows that Latitude is?

Hi,

Yeah it's that height thing that planes do?

I think the sea trial may go somewhat like the episode of the Mythbusters where they made a boat from duct tape (same water too, I believe). It was a situation where the boat could have failed at any moment, but they worked to see what it could do (and had a rescue crew ready). With some knowledge of sailing, they were able to make the boat move. IF the FH can survive some chop, the sails may allow it to deviate as much as 30 degrees from DDW. Woo Hoo, Sailing! Right up until it sinks. If we can convince the TV guys to film the FH's sailing, maybe they will bring the rescue crew too.

Reckon this is why the marina continues to give extensions - been sold, new owner taking what ever $ they can:-

San Rafael's Loch Lomond Marina sold to Los Angeles developer
By Nels Johnson
Marin Independent Journal
POSTED: 03/22/2013 02:54:29 PM PDT
Loch Lomond Marina in San Rafael was sold this week to Woodridge Capital Partners, a Los Angeles-based real estate development and investment company that last year bought San Francisco's Fairmont Hotel.
The company will have rights to develop 81 residential units, 22,250 square feet of commercial space, a grocery store and a shoreline park at the popular marina.

I think the sea trial may go somewhat like the episode of the Mythbusters where they made a boat from duct tape (same water too, I believe). It was a situation where the boat could have failed at any moment, but they worked to see what it could do (and had a rescue crew ready). With some knowledge of sailing, they were able to make the boat move. IF the FH can survive some chop, the sails may allow it to deviate as much as 30 degrees from DDW. Woo Hoo, Sailing! Right up until it sinks. If we can convince the TV guys to film the FH's sailing, maybe they will bring the rescue crew too.

Ah, you have hit on his plan! Do something so phenomenally stupid that a "reality" TV producer will come make a show out of it, and pay you a ton of money to be the fool. Kind of like Teen Mom or whatever it was...

Latitude is free but not Parker Diving Service. Hotrod's neighbor across the bay is paying $700 per hour, salvage cost are expected to be $35,000, repair costs may be higher. Any things gonna happen, it might happen in the marina. Somebody's going to pay. Not the Rod.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/crews-salvage-sailboat-ran-aground-july-4/nY2GY/

Schooner Alderbaran sinks in San Francisco Bay July 4, 2013. Raised July 23, 2013.

Direct link to video:

http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/richmond-salvage-crews-raise-sunken-handmade/v7JZy/

Latitude is free but not Parker Diving Service. Hotrod's neighbor across the bay is paying $700 per hour, salvage cost are expected to be $35,000

Ah, why all the negativity?

From what i saw there were at least 1/4" gaps between the ribs and the hull in most places, plenty of room to slide some glass mat and epoxy up a hull from the inside.

Below water line could be a bit trickier but i imagine by now you might be able to push the hull off the stringers by hand and slide the mat in place.

Then he's got a sacrificial hull which will feed marine bio-organisms (can you get gov't funding for creating a marine ecology??) and when it falls off on the way to Hawaii his boat will only be 34'11" wide = cheaper berthing !

I do see a clear case where the masses are blinkered in their thinking, slaves to their boat building masters.

Reckon this is why the marina continues to give extensions - been sold, new owner taking what ever $ they can:-

By Nels Johnson
Loch Lomond Marina in San Rafael was sold this week to Woodridge Capital Partners, a Los Angeles-based real estate development and investment company that last year bought San Francisco's Fairmont Hotel.
The company will have rights to develop 81 residential units, 22,250 square feet of commercial space, a grocery store and a shoreline park at the popular marina.

Wait... you're saying that the new marina manager is thinking ahead, about using Flyinn Hawayinn as an amusement ride in the new waterfront park? Yes some definite possibilities there...

FB- Doug

So is FH the first of the 81 residential units buil to look like 65' cats or is it to be the new grocery store?

By Nels Johnson

Hi,

Yeah it's that height thing that planes do?

He IS a certified planeoligist, after all!

These photos were taken yesterday. He is going to have some serious navigation if he ever leaves Loch Lomond. The Marina office says "he's not ready and they are giving him 3 more weeks"

is that forward mast step beam new?

No, it went in when the mast did. I think it's 4x4 or 6x6 tubular steel. Remember to keep your cat light and the weight low.

When you zoom in on the first pic you can see some sort of molding at the hull/bridgedeck connection. I swear it looks like quarter round molding. See this link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=quarter+round+molding&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS543US543&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vd7uUbTPKonXygGgvYDACQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1092&bih=514

Someone here who was on site reports that he used some kind of steel beam support for the mast, I think a lateral span if memory serves.

Something tells me an investment group will want proof of liability insurance on every vessel in the marina. They are also, if they're smart going to want a contractual agreement between all as well. If it were me I'd also want a specific release of liability agreement as well. Ole Rod Moe could become quite the eye sore and someones going to have to clean up the mess. I believe a few posts ago someone mentioned the expense of salvage divers. Although minus fuel they could likely just drag the pieces back up onto the hard. I'm becoming less and less convinced that thing will ever leave its present location.

If this is the channel markers, how far apart are they ? I seem to remember someone saying the Flyin Scrap Heap had about one foot clearance in which case he's going to need some lube to get through there ;-)

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=126442&page=36#

By Nels Johnson

Pure genius on the part of the existing owner.

Couldn't get the FH off his dock, probability of a sinking looming closer everyday, sell the whole shooting match to a greater fool.

I might want this guy to manage my money.

Too bad it wasn't sold to Russians!

"You! Motorcycle boy! You leave today!"

"Mmmm... I can't move. I don't have any motors and my boat might sink."

"Is not problem; I move for you. Two thousand dollar!"

"I don't have $2,000!"

"I take motorcycle."

Man, do I wish I had time to fly out to my sister-in-law's in Napa for a few days (also keeps a pad in Sausalito). I'd be all about the "Hi Mr. Rod sir, I'm Mr. Reporter Man from Sailing World" gig, hell yeah!

Although now I've blown that cover if HR or his minions are still checking in here...ahh well.

Man, do I wish I had time to fly out to my sister-in-law's in Napa for a few days (also keeps a pad in Sausalito). I'd be all about the "Hi Mr. Rod sir, I'm Mr. Reporter Man from Sailing World" gig, hell yeah!

Although now I've blown that cover if HR or his minions are still checking in here...ahh well.

I'll fly out and stay at you sister-in-law's place. Is she cute and does she have a Beemer I can drive?

The marina was sold in March so new management was already in place before the boat hit the water.

And you know this, how?

if you read the dateline of the article you will note it was published 3-22-13, that would be March:

Went out on a Catalina 27 with 1' of water, what I would normally be fine with, but the southerly blowing on our port bow overpowered the 15hp outboard and blew us onto the shoals where the LL channel joins the main channel out to the bay. We were stuck in the muck until the marinas boat came out to assist. The FH is going to have fun navigating that channel if there is a breeze, considering what he thinks he can use for power

I'm a bit surprised, in a positive sense, that HR has kept the windows relatively small in size, limiting the loss of 'structural integrity' in the cabin sides - I did expect him to cut a few huge bay windows in the side of the cabin...

But then, we don't know yet what he'll do on the front...

the rock pile has evolved over the years, when I first saw it there was a photo in a frame, candle and apersonal effect. I was told it was for a lost fisherman. That finally decayed or washed away in a storm and then various rock piles were placed ith to apparent meanin. I haven't walked all the way to the end of the break water in a very long time.

HR's genious just hit me, with the hull shape he has going on in the front, the hulls will want to move closer together at his 20kt cruising speed. That would make the deck want to bow up, its clear to me now that the pre-loaded bowing down we see now was all part of the plan.

My interest in this thread has a lot to do with the Marina Management. Nut jobs like HR are not so unusual, but their impact is usually limited by outside factors including family, friends, finances, legal matters, and business practices. At Loch Lomond, the Marina has bent over backwards to facilitate an impending disaster. The fact that the Marina was sold just prior to HR's launch adds a wrinkle, but I have to believe that the "old" Marina Management has been continuing operations at the local level since the sale. "Sand Crab" is assuming that new management was in place when HR launched, but it is not unusual for new business owners to maintain continuity. Even if the old management is inept, you can't always go in and clean house right away. (Do you think they have new people running the grocery store too?).

Oh, and thank you "Meuritt" for pointing out the date of the news article (please see post #1112).

Down the road, will the LL Harbor Master take responsibility for letting this uninsured piece of junk into San Francisco Bay?

Down the road, will the LL Harbor Master take responsibility for letting this uninsured piece of junk into San Francisco Bay?

In California, is there an insurance requirement? Does the Harbor Master have any authority to prevent FH from heading out? I ask because I don't know, not because I am arguing the point. We're having fun with this, but if Hotrod or whoever actually tries to move this thing somewhere he not only risks the safety of those on board, but also of those who have to rescue him.

Is that HR taking a whizz off the transom?

Hell yes, that's Redneck Anarchy son. I mean, that's like something you'd see in... Kentucky.

'Merica baby!!!

Boat owners do not need insurance in California. At LL, liability insurance is required, but it is obvious that FH is UNINSURABLE. Look what happened to the FH's neighbor, the uninsured "Aldebaran", this week. They spent $40,000 to temporarily re-float and move their wreck from one mud hole to another. Now they are broke: Cue the taxpayers! I still can't fathom where FH might go even if by some miracle they could be towed out of LL. --hey, why not the lee side of Brooks Island?

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/crews-salvage-sailboat-ran-aground-july-4/nY2GY/

The bad news for Aldebaran and FH is that is it illegal to abandon your boat in California.

Boat owners do not need insurance in California. At LL, liability insurance is required, but it is obvious that FH is UNINSURABLE. Look what happened to the FH's neighbor, the uninsured "Aldebaran", this week. They spent $40,000 to temporarily re-float and move their wreck from one mud hole to another. Now they are broke: Cue the taxpayers! I still can't fathom where FH might go even if by some miracle they could be towed out of LL. --hey, why not the lee side of Brooks Island?

The bad news for Aldebaran and FH is that is it illegal to abandon your boat in California.

With no registration, no documentation, no insurance, how could the authorities pin an abandoned FH to Hot Rod? (legally, that is)

On further thought, It won't be a case of 'vessel abandonment' and more like a big littering charge, like from dumping construction leftovers.

The mistake was letting him launch it - I'll bet the marina operators are regretting that now - he can't possibly be paying slip fees, can he?

I'll fly out and stay at you sister-in-law's place. Is she cute and does she have a Beemer I can drive?

One of the hottest 60-year-olds you'll meet...the definition of MILF (or maybe GILF, ha). You'd swear she's 40. Sorry, no Beemer...just drives an Aston Martin. Owns a vineyard.

Boat owners do not need insurance in California. At LL, liability insurance is required, but it is obvious that FH is UNINSURABLE. Look what happened to the FH's neighbor, the uninsured "Aldebaran", this week. They spent $40,000 to temporarily re-float and move their wreck from one mud hole to another. Now they are broke: Cue the taxpayers! I still can't fathom where FH might go even if by some miracle they could be towed out of LL. --hey, why not the lee side of Brooks Island?http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/crews-salvage-sailboat-ran-aground-july-4/nY2GY/

With no registration, no documentation, no insurance, how could the authorities pin an abandoned FH to Hot Rod? (legally, that is)

On further thought, It won't be a case of 'vessel abandonment' and more like a big littering charge, like from dumping construction leftovers.

The mistake was letting him launch it - I'll bet the marina operators are regretting that now - he can't possibly be paying slip fees, can he?

He doesn't need state registration because the "vessel" is documented with USCG. But what can they do, send him a bill that won't get paid? If it happens in the marina, yeah, they'll be sorry.

My interest in this thread has a lot to do with the Marina Management. Nut jobs like HR are not so unusual, but their impact is usually limited by outside factors including family, friends, finances, legal matters, and business practices. At Loch Lomond, the Marina has bent over backwards to facilitate an impending disaster. The fact that the Marina was sold just prior to HR's launch adds a wrinkle, but I have to believe that the "old" Marina Management has been continuing operations at the local level since the sale. "Sand Crab" is assuming that new management was in place when HR launched, but it is not unusual for new business owners to maintain continuity. Even if the old management is inept, you can't always go in and clean house right away. (Do you think they have new people running the grocery store too?).

Oh, and thank you "Meuritt" for pointing out the date of the news article (please see post #1112).

Maybe the old site manager, knowing it was only a matter of time before he got the axe, decided to top tank the new owners.

Cause something sure stinks about this.

One of the hottest 60-year-olds you'll meet...the definition of MILF (or maybe GILF, ha). You'd swear she's 40. Sorry, no Beemer...just drives an Aston Martin. Owns a vineyard.

Ok she'll do. Have her send me a round trip ticket....first class.

If any of us showed up with a 65 foot cat would we get this sort of consideration? A nice, production made cat would be handed a bill. So why is the FH tolerated at all? Can I use the word grifting?

edited cause I missed a word

Holly shit it moved, looks dead calm or as dead calm as the bay gets. Wonder if he went deeper into the bay or what. Looks like he's being towed. Kinda makes you wonder if he ever plans on putting any descent outboards on it.

The interesting thing will be how well it survives the tow.

Thanks for the pictures

cheers

B

Whale oil beef hocked.

It didn't fall apart on launch. It didn't sink in the marina. It made it out the channel.

Go the Hotrod! (I mean, like, don't sink, make a mess, cause someone else harm, etc. but geez....gotta give the guy *some* credit.).

I doubt he snuck out, a 65 foot wreck waiting to happen being towed by an aging whatever that is doesn't sneak well. My bet is either his financial condition forced the move or the liability became so glaringly apparent to the new owners they put down the hammer on him. Regardless of how it happened, let the fun begin. I predict he's bailing like a mad mad within the hour. ;-)

Oh and don't be so sure about that channel, its about a mile long from what I could see in the image posted waaaaaay back. Then there's the main channel and the tidal current, Pretty sure that little power boat towing him is going to be working hard in about a split second. Damn I just wish there was film of this

I doubt he snuck out, a 65 foot wreck waiting to happen being towed by an aging whatever that is doesn't sneak well. My bet is either his financial condition forced the move or the liability became so glaringly apparent to the new owners they put down the hammer on him. Regardless of how it happened, let the fun begin. I predict he's bailing like a mad mad within the hour. ;-)

Well in this case, "snuck" is a relative term. I just meant he left earlier than expected, given that he was extended 3 weeks (or so we thought) and as a result we all were not able to get some good video. I think the eviction theory has merit, but the more tantalizing questions are, where is he going (that is, who would allow him) and will he make it?

I wonder if he considered painting the thing blue-gray? Then he could sneak better...

Shit,

We were all over the Tin Can launching. WTF happened??

So the FH now = fuel storage platform for the POS dragging it all the way to hawaii??

OK serriously?? Are you allowed to do that?? I am not from a coastal part of the country and frankly in chicago there was never any real place to do that kind of thing so I have absolutely no idea what the rules are... If not Photoshop, wouldn't the coasties be all over that crap in sf bay or anywhere for that matter?

Zoom in on the left of the islands. Supposedly anchored. Taken from my house with iphone. May take dinghy out this weekend to get a better look.

attachicon.gifphoto (11).JPG

Nice work! Now go get your dinghy and get out there for us! Please!!!

Got to give the HR some credit, he has made it a lot further than most thought he would!

Although I do hope he does the live aboard thing in the bay and enjoys the boat for a while. No way will she survive in the ocean.

Well, if he is anchored, this is likely his first experience "at sea". He will learn:

- you only have what you brung

- power management affects everything

- just because you are securely anchored now does not mean you will be securely anchored five minutes from now

- there is no getting off (unless you swim or get in another boat)

- all boats roll, pitch and work, even while anchored

- even while anchored there are rules to be followed

- (probably a bunch more stuff; this is just what comes to mind)

I hope he pays attention to his lessons. If so, he will learn a lot quickly.

Congratulations Hot Rod, and to the LL (less liability) Marina!

exciting news, but now is a time for caution

Remember, there is plenty of room on the lee side of Brooks Island, and with hulls resting gently in the mud the boat won't be so wobbly (nautical term you will become familiar with). You could also put in floor drains for low tide enjoyment.

We will be seeing you on the bay!

But, seriously, be careful.

PS, Is the harlasaki still aboard?

OK serriously?? Are you allowed to do that?? I am not from a coastal part of the country and frankly in chicago there was never any real place to do that kind of thing so I have absolutely no idea what the rules are... If not Photoshop, wouldn't the coasties be all over that crap in sf bay or anywhere for that matter?

do what? anchor in the bay, you can pretty much anchor anywhere that isn't a navigable shipping channel with out issue. As for chicago have you seen the morons that anchor out for the air and water show?

CLEWIS3642, nice location, always loved that stretch when I lived out that way

do what? anchor in the bay, you can pretty much anchor anywhere that isn't a navigable shipping channel with out issue. As for chicago have you seen the morons that anchor out for the air and water show?

CLEWIS3642, nice location, always loved that stretch when I lived out that way

can not permanently anchor anywhere you please on the great lakes. riparian rights issues.