65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

Everyone calm down... just stop feeding the troll and he will go away...

For the number of things this thread has found 'wrong' with the FH. How is this thing still floating. Perhaps we know nothing. FH has been in the water now for 2 or 3 months now? Maybe carriage bolts, 2x4s and epoxy combine into the strong substance know to man.

Don't forget the drywall screws steel reinforcement.

I think it is still afloat because it hasn't had to endure much if any wave action yet. As long as he can avoid waves, the front won't fall off.

I think his biggest exposure is the SIDE falling off - you can pick which side.

Props to the HR for making it this far. This, unfortunately, won't end well.

the longer it takes the further he's gunna Fall

and the Harder

I can't imagine SF Bay being any kinder than SD Bay

And the Big Wakes that come out of nowhere shall be the End if not something else first

if the FH gets sucked out the Gate ......................................

so much non-FH/hotrod spam...

please take your spat to other forum topics :)

if you have any comments on the FH please post here

Amen! You shitdips are annoying as hell. If it's not on topic, f off and post somewhere else. Is it that hard?

Status report Monday 2 PM: Wind (cold!) is up a bit from yesterday and shifted slightly to the west. The shift exposes FH to more wind, but actually calmer water due to the short fetch from upwind land. I experimented with taking some pix using a digiscoping adaptor on my good spotting scope. This gives me the equivalent of a 1200mm lens, which results in a full frame picture but VERY soft, so I'll probably go back to my 300mm "real" lens, where I can crop for sharp but grainy closeups.

Nothing much to report: They've managed to get the sail cover back on the mizzen and appear to have pulled their dinghy up onto the cabin roof. It was probably getting beat up floating between the hulls with the motorboat right on top of it. Watching it ride at anchor through the scope (which is extremely sharp in eyeball mode) it appears that they have two lines, one from each bow running to a single anchor. As FH swings slowly through a fairly small arc, first one, then the other line takes all the load. There's a third, much lighter line running down toward the anchor, but with no load on it. (some kind of trip line?)

HR spent a lot of time while I was watching fussing around down at deck level with what looked like an anchor line - - -chafing? Hardware working loose? your guess is as good as mine. Later he was joined by a second shorter person (Mrs. Rod?) fussing with something up above head height on the forestay (see pic) Toward the end it looked like maybe he was unwinding a tape wrap that was working loose, but who knows?

I'm now outa here until Saturday afternoon. I just hope there's something to report on when I get back. Here are the best of today's pix. The first is there mainly because it shows the motorcycle. From the angle it looks like it isn't tied down at all. Just parked on the kick-stand (in case he want's to make a quick getaway?)

FH july 29 (1 Of 3)

FH july 29 (2 Of 3)

FH july 29 (3 Of 3)

Thank you Spoffo, Reports are great. Looking forward to the nxt one and or anyone else stepping up between now and sat.... Soooo many questions. At least weedo would post something once in a while....:) Come on hotrod Give us the dirt.....

I was perusing google for info on the rod. Came up with this gem from May. Complements to the woden boat guys and Pics from here. :D:lol::ph34r:

http://forum.wodenboat.com/showthread.php?163749-Hoist-One-for-Hot-Rod-amp-Flyin-Hawaiian

I think the link is : http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?163749-Hoist-One-for-Hot-Rod-amp-Flyin-Hawaiian

missing extra o.....

I really forgot how fucked up this thing is for it's intended purpose. I just built a deck 2" off the ground and it is put together better than that.... At least I used pressure treated 2x6's and hangers.... Fuck....

Thank you Spoffo, Reports are great. Looking forward to the nxt one and or anyone else stepping up between now and sat.... Soooo many questions. At least weedo would post something once in a while.... :) Come on hotrod Give us the dirt.....

+10

Here's another that may tell us more about that sail. Here you can see two people (Mr. & Mrs. Rod?) standing on the porch roof looking at it, so yes, they could furl it if they wanted to (and knew how.) By the way, when they had it up yesterday, it was obvious that it wasn't made for the boat. It was a good bit shorter on both the luff and the foot. Sort of looked like a guy with his pants too short. If you go back and look at the pictures from when it was under construction, you'll see that he had this sail bent on the boom and tucked in a lovely blue saii cover since right after he put up the masts - probably a year or more ago. I'm think I saw some (normal) way to sheet it when the boat was under construction, but I wasn't following it at that level of detail. The big picture was just too overwhelming.

Something else: you can see the motorcycle more clearly in this, and if you look carefully to the left you'll see the gas BBQ he had on the ground next to the boat when he was building it.

Heeled a little to port? Bottom step only just above the water?

I was perusing google for info on the rod. Came up with this gem from May. Complements to the woden boat guys and Pics from here. :D:lol::ph34r:

http://forum.wodenboat.com/showthread.php?163749-Hoist-One-for-Hot-Rod-amp-Flyin-Hawaiian

I think the link is : http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?163749-Hoist-One-for-Hot-Rod-amp-Flyin-Hawaiian

missing extra o.....

Oh, they are onto this thread:

"Well, i Know nothing of the American law system, but i will gather from the amount of concerned people that somebody has contacted the authorities about this "death boat"? The impression i get from the other site is no one really cares as long as someone gets the disaster on camera."

We must abandon our cavalier views of Hot Rot and contact the authorities!!

Getting right on that!

GS

Thanks Spoffo, love the reports! We'll see if there is anything left to report on when you get back Saturday.

Should we start a pool? We all kick in a fin, and whoever guesses the date and time of the sinking closest wins the pot...

I will be out of the SF Bay Area, but I will try to get one last photo from my airplane seat tomorrow morning. Might be my last chance to see FH. Somebody needs to write a book about this, how about David Vann? Thanks to everybody making helpful posts to this thread.

Thanks Spoffo, love the reports! We'll see if there is anything left to report on when you get back Saturday.

Should we start a pool? We all kick in a fin, and whoever guesses the date and time of the sinking closest wins the pot...

Knowing what little I know of this place the boat would sink and still be on the bottom but still above the water so some would say it is not sunk and then there would be no end to the bickering and cussing. The only person ever to get the pot would be the one holding it for the contest.

I'm still guessing he simply will not be able to make enough headway against the tide and ends up on the shore.

So close... come on HR, raise the anchors i want to see it go on it's own power and steering!

A late news flash: I looked out around 5 this afternoon to check up on FH and the motorboat was gone! Strolled across to the marina and sure enough, there it was at the gas dock.

As you might expect, up close FH jr. is pretty rough - shredded upholstery, etc, etc - but no need to go into details. We've all seen plenty of clapped-out low end plastic runabouts. I think I may have seen HR and others rolling out of the parking lot in a beat-up pickup. Sort of washed out-black/dark gray with a big washed out white/light gray stripe nose to tail. Does that ring a bell with anyone who visited him when it was on land?

So, it looks like a 3-4 day cycle to reload on food and human contact.

Now, about that holding tank . . . .

I'm still guessing he simply will not be able to make enough headway against the tide and ends up on the shore.

So close... come on HR, raise the anchors i want to see it go on it's own power and steering!

That would require sails or engines. Or rudders connected to the wheels. Or leeboards.

I can't wait to see the freakin leeboards.

While the FH is so close this only has to come unhinged to help. Like so many posters here. Maybe add an outboard plus a couple of water skis or surfboard so it planes. Or just use oars.

post-99684-0-19627300-1375156637_thumb.jpg

missing extra o.....

Check out this quote from Wooden Boat about us on SA ...

Well, i Know nothing of the American law system, but i will gather from the amount of concerned people that somebody has contacted the authorities about this "death boat"? The impression i get from the other site is no one really cares as long as someone gets the disaster on camera. I am all for individuals making choices for themselves, but i do draw the line at those choices effecting others who may not be wise to the consequences. Dosnt that marina require him to have insurance? That boat needs a survey done on camera so all parties know the facts.

This calls for a "laughing my tick-infested ass off" but I can't remember which little smiley that one is at the moment.

Here's the thing ... if by some bizarre twist of quantum probability and infinitesimal statistics, he manages to actually survive and prosper on that boat, even out in the bay, we're all eventually going to be cheering for the poor guy.

I didn't have time to go back down to the marina, but I grabbed this from up on our hill: FH Jr. at the gas dock about 6:30 PM. It was still there as it started to get dark, so they may have stayed ashore tonight, which **REALLY** is not in the spirit of this enterprise. I'll try to swing by on our way out early tomorrow to see if it's there. (Of course there are "No overnights" signs all over the gas dock, but we know the regular rules don't apply to HR.)

FH Jr At Gas dock July 29

missing extra o.....

Check out this quote from Wooden Boat about us on SA ...

Well, i Know nothing of the American law system, but i will gather from the amount of concerned people that somebody has contacted the authorities about this "death boat"? The impression i get from the other site is no one really cares as long as someone gets the disaster on camera. I am all for individuals making choices for themselves, but i do draw the line at those choices effecting others who may not be wise to the consequences. Dosnt that marina require him to have insurance? That boat needs a survey done on camera so all parties know the facts.

This calls for a "laughing my tick-infested ass off" but I can't remember which little smiley that one is at the moment.

Here's the thing ... if by some bizarre twist of quantum probability and infinitesimal statistics, he manages to actually survive and prosper on that boat, even out in the bay, we're all eventually going to be cheering for the poor guy.

I have a Much Better chance of hitting the SUPER LOTTO

and I don't buy tickets B)

Hay just received a video of HR from this evening

looks to be having a Good time with friends of a like mind

Woodman you sure know how to kill a thread!!! geez...... :D

Just check out any of his opening day threads. He manages to kill those with the very first post.

Well speaking of Motorcycles and the FH

anyone seen HR's MC after they set anchor ??

seems to be holding quite well

must have left the kickstand down and in 1st gear

not much other use for it out and adrift ............ eh

Hi all, I've been watching this for ages, must end soon I reckon.

As a Ducati rider, I think he has the harley for an anchor -

Mac

Definition of irony:-

Someone with a Ducati saying a Japanese Harley clone is unreliable.

I reckon he's jealous because the Duke would have fallen apart before it hit the bottom...

Yes, I've owned two-a 750 Sport and a 916. They really bring the term 'monthly cycle' (Ie, once a month, they'd start on their own, run for a week and stop) into focus the way a Harley never could.

But the FH never had a Harley

as we are further out to sea than the FH will ever get

ALL Bikes were Cave Man "back in the Daz"

AMF brought Harley back in time before fire

ANY 2007 Harley is a Purring Lion that you can make LOUD and all that

but that's Not how Harley Sells em

Now what was this thread about ??

Oh ya Who haz today for it to Break apart or otherwise be Ended ????

Mac

I reckon he's jealous because the Duke would have fallen apart before it hit the bottom...

Yes, I've owned two-a 750 Sport and a 916. They really bring the term 'monthly cycle' (Ie, once a month, they'd start on their own, run for a week and stop) into focus the way a Harley never could.

Maybe, but there is a bike even less reliable than a Ducati ...

My favorite brand, a Bultaco. Cliche was "buy a Bultaco and a six pack of pistons." But when the Matador ran, holy crap , that was the greatest hooligan bike ever made.

Back on topic.

Has it sunk yet? Folded like a pair of deuces facing a full house? Submerged slightly, and resting on a pile of Schlitz Lite cans? In the grip of gribble worms? What?

We need to know.

and just like that we're back to a crappy motorcycle thread

We were all waiting for your Pix of the FH

Or 1st hand reports on the FH

Butt no all you have is bitching

Why don't you go play in the street

And speaking of go

Go the ACE 100

My favorite brand, a Bultaco. Cliche was "buy a Bultaco and a six pack of pistons." But when the Matador ran, holy crap , that was the greatest hooligan bike ever made.

makes you wonder why someone would run one in the dakar... :D

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ignacio-chivite-riding-the-only-bultaco-in-the-2013-dakar-53512.html

Now that's cool.Almost as hooligan as my old Maico 490.

makes you wonder why someone would run one in the dakar... :D

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ignacio-chivite-riding-the-only-bultaco-in-the-2013-dakar-53512.html

Suzuki? Talk amongst yourselves...

Rod isn't the first to combine boats and bikes, i read this story years ago and at one point they were using (IIRC) the swing arm and some bits as an anchor.

NOTE: not a harley.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape/epicrides/122_0104_moscow/

By 1990, we'd already been around the world once. Now we were stuck in Cyprus, the Gulf War cutting off our route through the Middle East to Russia, the next leg of our journey. What we really needed was a boat. We looked for a working passage, but couldn't find a ship traveling that route. Then, one day, Tania walked into a marina and found a 31-foot, 35-year-old wooden sailboat--one full of holes. We knew absolutely nothing about sailing. But with the last of our savings we bought the boat, fixed the holes, dismantled our bike, stored the pieces on board, and sailed away from the war in the Middle East by traveling West--across the Atlantic Ocean to the United States.

For the next six years, seawater leaked all over our CX, and for long periods the engine itself was submerged in bilge water 8-10 inches deep. Everything corroded. The wiring loom turned to mush.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape/epicrides/122_0104_moscow/#ixzz2agAS0iZ2

Plenty of room for FH on the lee dude of this island. None of the locals have cycles on their boats, you may have competitive advantage. Your diamond plates will be useful here in the shadow of Diamond Head.

post-63290-0-10284300-1375325416_thumb.jpg

Mac

Maybe, but there is a bike even less reliable than a Ducati ...

right side shift gave me big problems, back to the jap bikes after a couple plows

That whole 'anchored for a week' thing has me believing Hot Hot's hand was forced.

I do believe the decision for him to leave Loch Lomond Marina was not his.

No place to go and not ready to go there anyway.

Best of luck, bro. I know you're strung out pretty tight right now. Hope it comes together enough for you to move on to the next phase of your dream. Please stay safe.

3 possible scenerios.....

1. It sank - need boat to investigate

2. He towed it with the pos powerboat, it sank.. need boat to investigate

3. He actually provisioned the thing and tried towing it to Hawaii it sank, need boat and coasties to investigate.

4. He miraculously got it to the homeless anchorage it sank in the mud and he is going to abandon/live in it. Need boat to investigate....

So Get on it lads.... GFC we can't let the rod leave the environment without some sort of eyes on report. It cannot end like this.....

I just spoke with a mate of mine in SF - the FH, HR, grandma and his fake Harley are all fine. The FH has been purchased by Team Artemis to replace their current boat - they will be adding 7 ft of sugar scopes and their foils....should be good to go against the kiwis in a week or so.