65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

Thought maybe there was someone real on this site. Just more doris days in moron country sorry i ment marin county. We built.we launched .we sailed.next we will do more. And u will still dream and dream and .......not rich .not lazy.not afraid .did u c me in latitude last mounth.we look great.the family the flag the yacht the bike. what did u do? Im not perfect but im the talk of the town. If u wish to b part of something real. Let me know.

There's a ton of reality right here on this site Rod and you'd really be doing yourself a favor by paying attention to it. First thing you should seriously consider is that suggestion about safety equipment and reserve buoyancy, although that's not considering the suggestion that you seriously think of getting that thing out of the water while you still can and maybe reconsidering this whole thing before you loose a family member.

Can't get more real than that Rod or Viking or whoever you might be this time.

Looks to me that your following the same ole patterns that got you into this mess. Lets just hope no one gets hurt or killed getting you out of it. Refusing sound advise, albeit mixed with a healthy dose of abuse, isn't going to get you very far.

Get an NA get a survey, do what they tell you to do. Unfortunately I'm feeling pretty sure they will tell you to get off the boat immediately and start over with sound methods and materials

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

HR'FH, if you have other photos of the interior as built I would like to post them and take a look, also of the internals of the steering gear. Do you guys have a welder?

And just to be clear, those of us who suggest heading up the delta (not as a floating condo) are suggesting it because it will be warmer, no wave action, fewer people to complain about being there too long, and an easier place to recover from anything going wrong than the bay. Once you think you've got the steering, propulsion, any bulkheads/buoyancy retrofits, whatever else is onnthe todo list taken care of you can head back down and go try it out in the bay. I would bet that there has to be somewhere not very far up the delta that has access to a road and enough water to rig a gangplank to shore.

Where you are right now it seems like the deck is stacked against you with having to move due to anchoring time limits (which are everywhere other than Richardson bay, AFAIK), deal with all the fog and wind as you're trying to do anything and if stuff does go wrong there isn't as much time before you're in a shipping lane or ferry wake or whatever.

I would appreciate any and all real input.please keeping in mind we have been dealing with criticism from the start .people don't build their own anything anymore .the best they do is buy and modify.bicycles ,cars , homes,boats ect. None believe they r qualified or they r told they can't and they believe it.it's not rocket science to build a boat. Its just not the norm .a sixteen year old sailed here from Japan on a raft. And there r many other success storys.im built a yacht with my son.u may or may not understand what that means.

We have only achieved a couple knots sofar but im not dun yet.

You are wrong, HR'FH. Many people build all kinds of things for themselves these days. I have seen with my own eyes scores of finely crafted and seaworthy boats built from scratch in backyards, garages, toolsheds, etc. I have built several myself. I have been 50 miles offshore, safely and independently, in a boat I built from scratch, to a proven design, using my own hands and wits. And many people have done much, much more than I.

The distinction between yourself and these other folks, and the reason that you are "the talk of the town", is that you designed and built your boat in a mental cocoon through which nothing has so far penetrated. You have completely ignored the collective wisdom of humankind in favor of your own fevered, self-referential logic. You have wasted a tremendous amount of effort, and a big pile of low-grade materials, to create something that will not accomplish a fraction of what you set out to do. That much is tragically obvious to all of us who know the first thing about the project of going to sea.

If you are feeling disrespected, realize that you have shortcut or completely ignored things that many of us would never dream of shortcutting or ignoring. That suggests arrogance on your part, that you feel yourself to be smarter, more capable, more special than the rest, and that attitude gets you nowhere with people who can see through your delusion.

I mentioned earlier that you need to build a heavy duty mooring bitt or sampson post into each hull, so that you can accept a proper tow and not get destroyed in the process. I will reiterate, that is job one, as I see it. Get ready for a tow, then get towed someplace sheltered and long term so you can proceed.

Guys, starting over is about the worst choice they could make right now given that they aren't interested in giving up the dream. Even if it were 100% deficient everywhere they already have a shell just waiting to have reinforcements added, without spending even more time just trying to get the shape right. Covering the plywood hull panels with 3/4 marine Doug fir by screwing it down and glassing over it would be a hell of a lot easier than starting from scratch. If the beams across the bridgedeck aren't cutting it they can add more underneath the bridgedeck in a vertical stack. And this is without even using steel yet. If you accept that a boat doesn't have to be a Swan or Oyster a whole bunch of options open up for beefing things up.

I would appreciate any and all real input.please keeping in mind we have been dealing with criticism from the start .people don't build their own anything anymore .the best they do is buy and modify.bicycles ,cars , homes,boats ect. None believe they r qualified or they r told they can't and they believe it.it's not rocket science to build a boat. Its just not the norm .a sixteen year old sailed here from Japan on a raft. And there r many other success storys.im built a yacht with my son.u may or may not understand what that means.

Okay with this post alone you will probably get people to soften up a bit and try to help. You made some good points there.

Step 1, assess your situation honestly. For now, just the basics and most pressing issues.

a - Safety. There has been some good advice relative to crew safety. As was said, make sure you have emergency equipment needed to stop a big leak should you get a hole. Make sure you have a working and charged VHF radio, ideally a submersible handheld, and keep it charged. Have flares and most important life jackets (although we have seen those in pics - good). By all means, if you don't have them yet get several fire extinguishers, make sure they are charged and distribute them so that there is always at least one accessible from anywhere on board. Make sure there is an escape route from any part of the boat where a person could be.

b - What are you doing for power? Is the head working properly? Can you prepare food in a sanitary way? Do you have proper ventilation? You don't want mold growing and making everyone sick.

c - You're on the mud. If the boat is not experiencing damage from being on the mud, consider staying there until you get a few more things squared away.

d - As to the design of the boat, the most concerning thing I have heard is about the CDX ply. Your friend at the lumber store may mean well but he probably knows nothing about boats or boat building. If you tell us a little more about the epoxy and how you applied it, you might get some helpful comments. As with most things, you have to have a secure foundation to build on. That needs to be squared away before worrying about steering, propulsion and such.

Again, you need to get a survey, from a real marine surveyor or naval architect, you need to heed there advice, and you need to do it before you injure or kill anyone.

COMPRENDO ?

The Samson posts should definitely be on the todo list, they don't have to be fancy. A piece of 4" ish square steel tube with a crossbar, ad welded to a flat plate base should work just fine if it can be bolted to something solid under deck. Take a look at what commercial working boats are using, it's all geared for functionality and cost effectiveness. Just paint the heck out of it so you don't have to rebuild it in a few years.

I would recommend one at each corner, the aft ones would let you tow FHjr with a functional FH, and you could strap FHjr in between fore and aft to use it as a more maneuverable tugboat instead of just pulling on a tow rope.

HR'FH - if you want help, quite a few of us here are mechanical engineers and there are even some qualified naval architects around. If you post some pictures of the inside of the hulls and the interior structure then we will be able to give you some sensible, useful advice about strengthening and stiffening the boat with materials you can afford, so it can withstand a few wave impacts without flexing and breaking. Is this the sort of help you are looking for here?

If you want me to upload them for you than I'll send you a PM with my email address.

You are wrong, HR'FH. Many people build all kinds of things for themselves these days. I have seen with my own eyes scores of finely crafted and seaworthy boats built from scratch in backyards, garages, toolsheds, etc. I have built several myself. I have been 50 miles offshore, safely and independently, in a boat I built from scratch, to a proven design, using my own hands and wits. And many people have done much, much more than I.

The distinction between yourself and these other folks, and the reason that you are "the talk of the town", is that you designed and built your boat in a mental cocoon through which nothing has so far penetrated. You have completely ignored the collective wisdom of humankind in favor of your own fevered, self-referential logic. You have wasted a tremendous amount of effort, and a big pile of low-grade materials, to create something that will not accomplish a fraction of what you set out to do. That much is tragically obvious to all of us who know the first thing about the project of going to sea.

If you are feeling disrespected, realize that you have shortcut or completely ignored things that many of us would never dream of shortcutting or ignoring. That suggests arrogance on your part, that you feel yourself to be smarter, more capable, more special than the rest, and that attitude gets you nowhere with people who can see through your delusion.

I mentioned earlier that you need to build a heavy duty mooring bitt or sampson post into each hull, so that you can accept a proper tow and not get destroyed in the process. I will reiterate, that is job one, as I see it. Get ready for a tow, then get towed someplace sheltered and long term so you can proceed.

+ a bunch

thanks Phillysailor

And there we have it - the only attention he has ever paid to anything posted here and the first and only thanks he gives anyone here is the one person who tells him how to put people on ignore - as if he needed any advice on THAT.

Fucking perfeck.

The Samson posts should definitely be on the todo list, they don't have to be fancy. A piece of 4" ish square steel tube with a crossbar, ad welded to a flat plate base should work just fine if it can be bolted to something solid under deck. Take a look at what commercial working boats are using, it's all geared for functionality and cost effectiveness. Just paint the heck out of it so you don't have to rebuild it in a few years.

I would recommend one at each corner, the aft ones would let you tow FHjr with a functional FH, and you could strap FHjr in between fore and aft to use it as a more maneuverable tugboat instead of just pulling on a tow rope.

That is one fuckin' big IF.

HR'FH - if you want help, quite a few of us here are mechanical engineers and there are even some qualified naval architects around. If you post some pictures of the inside of the hulls and the interior structure then we will be able to give you some sensible, useful advice about strengthening and stiffening the boat with materials you can afford, so it can withstand a few wave impacts without flexing and breaking. Is this the sort of help you are looking for here?

If you want me to upload them for you than I'll send you a PM with my email address.

I think he has proven many, many times in many, many ways that the ONLY help he's looking for is financial and/or cheerleading.

Reality, facts and/or truth are not on his short list.

That is one fuckin' big IF.

It's an if and a hint that if such doesn't exist under deck it will have to be added. It doesn't have to be fancy though, some doublers and webs to surrounding structures could do it depending on the circumstances.

HR'FH, those of us who are engineers really need to see more details of the structure inside before we can try to give useful advice.

I think he has proven many, many times in many, many ways that the ONLY help he's looking for is financial and/or cheerleading.

Reality, facts and/or truth are not on his short list.

Let the man speak for himself! HR/Viking, I've sent you a PM with my email. Button top right to view it.

Toe rail .wood boat

OK. well we all see from the pictures that the toe rail is set up to take lines tied around it.

How is that secured to the structural frame of the boat?

Also, under interests you list "shootings" mind if I ask what that's all about?

I shoot mostly 9mm myself, got a Sig Sauer P226 and a Beretta 92FS.

Thanks,

Jerry

Also, under interests you list "shootings" mind if I ask what that's all about?

I shoot mostly 9mm myself, got a Sig Sauer P226 and a Beretta 92FS.

Thanks,

Jerry

Sigs are the BEST. PISTOLS. EVER. My favorite is the 228, no longer in production but still pretty much available. If you don't have one yet, get one while you can!

We r in the mud because we r a beachable cat . and we damaged the FH at the water line with the dive platform On the small boat.towing it in heavy ruff currents when the headfoil split. The CG broke our windless and anchor.

I recall an HRFH post stating that the vessel was forced to relocate yesterday. Not so for the boat remains mud bound.

post-99684-0-94888900-1376249907_thumb.jpg

Surely any reasonable naval architect or marine engineer will run, not walk, away from any involvement with the FH. There is simply too much liability risk for the minor income one may earn. Especially here in California where lawsuits are so abundant.

Update - notice the red water color. Has anyone gone missing lately?

We r in the mud because we r a beachable cat . and we damaged the FH at the water line with the dive platform On the small boat.towing it in heavy ruff currents when the headfoil split. The CG broke our windless and anchor.

What did the Coast Guard do to break your windlass and anchor?

When the foil split we dropped anchor.we were in fast current the anchors one 30 and a 40 with 75 ft of 3/8 between took hold on the side of a deep water channel.i told the CG to tow us back the way we came.but they refused ,insisting on wenching up the anchors it drift toward china camp .breaking the wench and the 30lb er.

HR'FH, you don't seem interested in showing us any pictures of the FH so we can give you help in improving the structure or fittings (you have my email address if you change your mind). That's fine. Could you tell us please what help/advice you do want? Because I reckon you do realise you're in a bit of trouble, and you are looking for help. You just don't seem very good at actually asking for it... :)

When the foil split we dropped anchor.we were in fast current the anchors one 30 and a 40 with 75 ft of 3/8 between took hold on the side of a deep water channel.i told the CG to tow us back the way we came.but they refused ,insisting on wenching up the anchors it drift toward china camp .breaking the wench and the 30lb er.

Damn, I hate it when my wench breaks!

Read my post before u reply. Someone who owns a sawmill ,is different than someone that sells wood.

And they are also different from someone who has studied 10,000 trees.

It seems HR's dream is a rerun. See this current article of a family lost at sea for months:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/10/religious-family-lost-at-sea_n_3738010.html?utm_hp_ref=religion&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D356435

So much for being unique.

I believe this site is fucking up my phone. I don't need advice on rebuilding my hulls.i got iin troble using used parts. U fucks r trying to reinvent the weel.we will b gone in a few days.and thanks for all the help it nearly made a difference.. now i can die happy.

Has any SA thread had more posts then this?

Abby Sunderland was up there.

still a ways to go, the 1000 Day thread....Dawg locked it down at post #30359

I believe this site is fucking up my phone. I don't need advice on rebuilding my hulls.i got iin troble using used parts. U fucks r trying to reinvent the weel.we will b gone in a few days.and thanks for all the help it nearly made a difference.. now i can die happy.

You do realize that a major part of being a martyr is being dead, don't you?

Probably a good thing since, if you continue as you have been going, it will happen sooner rather than later. Is everyone else on the FH ready to die happy along with you, you narcissistic clown?

Stopped by briefly around noon for my daily eyeball check. Nothing much to report. FH floating quietly where it's been, FH Jr. still tied alongside. No activity visible. The wind appears to have swung the stern around a bit so it's now angled-out more into deeper water. As a result, the stern anchor line was riding up against the temporary tiller. If HR is reading this, you should probably lower that tiller so it can't snag the anchor line like that. If the wind picks up this afternoon while the boat is still able to swing, the anchor line could damage the tiller the way it's riding now.

HR'FH, you don't seem interested in showing us any pictures of the FH so we can give you help in improving the structure or fittings (you have my email address if you change your mind). That's fine. Could you tell us please what help/advice you do want? Because I reckon you do realise you're in a bit of trouble, and you are looking for help. You just don't seem very good at actually asking for it... :)

Go back to page 1. Plenty of internal structural pics...

My patience and goodwill is exhausted - I tried hard! You build a boat with someone else's money, you equip it through other peoples goodwill and you will end up relying on someone else to pick up the pieces.

You will die 'happy' when you take the floating pigsty to sea in a few days. Telling you your 'boat' is totally unsafe isn't reinventing the wheel, it's trying to save your and your familys lives. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope this epic saga lasts longer than I fear. However, like your CDX, I am 'saturated with resign'... :(

HR and family:

I live in Oakland. If there is anything that you need from over this way that I can bring you, or if you could use some help for a specific task let me know. It must be tough where you are right now. I imagine that you want to get stabilized so that you can figure the next move.

Would you be willing to listen to the thoughts of a qualified person if the Sailing Anarchy community were to pass the hat and pay someone to come out and look at the situation and give you some advice?

There is a way to private message me through this site, or just post a reply. I'd put my name and number up but you know how the freaks are around here!

I agree with those that have expressed doubt and concern (some in a nicer way than others) about taking the FH very far in her current state, and I also agree with those who have expressed admiration for your gumption and tenacity. I'd hope that the FH could be made safe and stable in protected water for now, and the longer term be worked out one way or another. If it really can never be taken out the Gate, maybe it could be a really cool houseboat somewhere.

Please think about my offer to pay for someone qualified to come take a look. I think that it is the least that "we" could do, given all the abuse that's been dished out.

Timothy Leary is that you ??

If I understood HR and Viking from yesterday, they asked for leads on 2 15 hp. outboard motors, spare blocks, and line.

Viking, maybe you could clarify what blocks you want, what line, type and size. BE specific in what you are asking for. If you are asking for free labor, be specific about what type of work you need done, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, rigging, etc.

Wow , u guys make dumb and dumber seem like mental hulks.i am glad i waited this long before commenting on this site. The up side,well im shure there is one. O and the money for this build came originally from being hit by a drunk driver like some here.and just as clever. Don't know how we would have done it without u guys. O we did sorry.well keep stalking for now. HR

So now it seems to have degenerated into an insulting match in both directions.

Will Godwin's law apply here a well?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Hot Rod - let it be well known when you take this thing to sea.

Bay Area folks - lets get a flotilla to follow him out shall we?

Hopefully the women and children will be picked up as it goes down.

That would be $ 0.00

It might be possible to build in a set of members inside the hull to take the strain of a towing bitt, but as built there is nothing to fasten the bitt or a samson post to. It's wide spaced 2x4 over 3/8 CDX... not even a surface one could walk on reliably in the real world (or at least not for any length of time). However building a truss into HR's FH would need to be done with volunteer labor and donated materials.

Fly-un Huh-why-un has lasted several months now... longer than some of us thought it would, but you're still talking about a structural life span of months here. That's with only a tiny fraction of the stress it would be expected to take under sail, much less at sea.

FB- Doug

Wow , u guys make dumb and dumber seem like mental hulks.i am glad i waited this long before commenting on this site. The up side,well im shure there is one. O and the money for this build came originally from being hit by a drunk driver like some here.and just as clever. Don't know how we would have done it without u guys. O we did sorry.well keep stalking for now. HR

Well that clarifies things - blunt force trauma brain damage, not meth.

Well that clarifies things - blunt force trauma brain damage, not meth.

Not necessarily. The two are not mutually exclusive.

The CG broke our windless and anchor.

I filed a FOIA request with the CG on the incident. It will be several weeks but we'll find out what really happened.

One thing I know for damn sure even before we get the paperwork, if the CG "broke" something it was either (1) because whatever "broke" was not properly constructed to begin with or (2) it was necessary to protect life and/or property. My bet, the former.

OK then Hot Rod, if you're so sure everything's fine in your world (it isn't) then take the Flyin' Fuckwit out in to the open ocean and see how she stands up. Clue: 'not well'. As for actually making way under sail, forget it.

The only possible use for the FH is as a floating barge in the bay, occasionally being towed from place to place by the Bayliner. The FH will probably be pretty good at this... until the plywood breaks down in a few weeks/months. Then it's all over, and this is inevitable whether or not you actually try to sail the damn thing.

Personally, I doubt you will ever get off this mudbank before she starts taking on more water than the pumps can handle. Only you know how bad the situation already is, but by the sound of things you're already pumping water out of the hulls. However bad it is now, it's just going to get worse and worse as more water seeps in, makes the plywood more and more soggy, and we all know how it will end even if you don't.

Thanks so much for all this. It's been huge fun!

Mr. Hot, Guy has extensive experience in the field of "HP Induced Sailing" having been CEO of the AC Team Murrelet syndicate in Valencia. Guy would love to extend his services to your project. Compensation can be discussed at a later date.

Also, Guy wishes to inquire of the status of this captivating waif pictured below. Is she Mrs. Hot? Can she be had without much fuss? Mrs. Frank has gone frigid and Guy's blood boils!

Cheers and Huzzah to the crew of Le Voler Hawaïenne!!

attachicon.gifMrs Hot.jpg

tis a shame the bulk of the idiots reading this thread are unaware of Mr. Guy's stature in this community

Huzzah indeed, Mr. Guy

HUZZAH !!

Some of us remember Mr. Guy from back in the good ol' days of SA... even though we've tried hard to kill the brain cells containing these memories...

FB- Doug

Rod Moe, Curly or Larry, ( never quite sure who I'm talking to at this point ) are you seriously going to ignore all advice to the contrary and not even pretend to have a qualified surveyor look at this thing before you proceed ?

And I gotta ask, your posts are, well far be it for I to comment on your spelling or grammar ( English isn't my first language and frankly, its a bitch ) but you sound pretty soggy yourself. You folks drinking up a storm in there or what? I'd recommend at least one person remaining sober at all times to pretend a captain, should the CG show up again. Somebody's gotta be sober or there could be charges.

You seem dead set on ignoring requests for picture so the more qualified among us might offer some relevant advice

Make a big deal out of nothing then get mad because it still not a big deal you. don't have a part in it at all ,beside drama queen. Wow charlie brown its ok to b a on the porch kind of dog .no harm no foul. We come we go its all good.i did run across a person or two on this site that is decent.in spite of the rest.HR

The Raccoon, reminds me of one of the enforcer robots on Robot Wars. Derelict boats beware!

BTW HR, another spot that might be interesting to anchor out at is at Pt San Pablo. A real collection of interesting people live and boat out of the Pt San Pablo Marina, I don't think you could get inside, but just outside is more mudflats, better protected from the winds that China Camp.

The Raccoon, reminds me of one of the enforcer robots on Robot Wars. Derelict boats beware!

BTW HR, another spot that might be interesting to anchor out at is at Pt San Pablo. A real collection of interesting people live and boat out of the Pt San Pablo Marina, I don't think you could get inside, but just outside is more mudflats, better protected from the winds that China Camp.

HR you have to realize that everyones intrigue and issue with the FH is that when it breaks apart and someone dies, you'll be on the news representing SAILING. Which is a fucking joke for all of us......

People really want to help you to prevent this, but you need to be more specific than just asking for free $5000+ engines. If you need help reinforcing, refiberglassing, etc you're talking to some experts right now.

Ignore the haters, we just dont want anyone giving a bad impression of the safety of sailing to the nation and media...

HR you have to realize that everyones intrigue and issue with the FH is that when it breaks apart and someone dies, you'll be on the news representing SAILING. Which is a fucking joke for all of us......

People really want to help you to prevent this, but you need to be more specific than just asking for free $5000+ engines. If you need help reinforcing, refiberglassing, etc you're talking to some experts right now.

Ignore the haters, we just dont want anyone giving a bad impression of the safety of sailing to the nation and media...

Thanks we draw less than two and there r a lot of hazards here.phone poles ect.

While the bay has a healthy layer of muck/mud, there are rocks aplenty that are happy to damage the hull, as well as props. IN SF Bay the main benefit to shoal draft will be in staying out o the shipping channels and the big, clumsy ships that are confined in them. To use landlubber terms, you don't have right of way over a ship that has to stay in the channel. It can take them a mile or more to stop, and when they have the are out of control, possibly more dangerous than they were. If you hear 5 blasts on a ships horn, it means what are you doing, get outta da way.

IN the bay ships and CG traffic are on VHF ch 14, bridge to bridge is 13, don't hesitate to talk before trouble arises

The CG broke our windless and anchor.

I filed a FOIA request with the CG on the incident. It will be several weeks but we'll find out what really happened.

One thing I know for damn sure even before we get the paperwork, if the CG "broke" something it was either (1) because whatever "broke" was not properly constructed to begin with or (2) it was necessary to protect life and/or property. My bet, the former.