65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space

launching ? nah, thats what the telephone post roller is for. After the fkr is launched, the post is tech screwed on and becomes a Maersk freighter proof retractable bowsprit to fly a cut down Mirror spinnaker. Hes delayed the launch until he can round up enough abandoned supermarket trollies to make pushpits and dinghy davits with.

home made davits

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can assure you, nothing was added to The Rod's replies.   Perhaps sharing my reverence for The Rod, as well as my deep appreciation for the journalistic accomplishments of my Sailing Anarchy predece

And wtf happened to lil'murray.......?

Guy did not grow a vagin! Mr. Hot is full of merde! The only place Mr. Hot has seen a double hurricane is in La Nouvelle Orléans. 

Posted Images

launching ? nah, thats what the telephone post roller is for. After the fkr is launched, the post is tech screwed on and becomes a Maersk freighter proof retractable bowsprit to fly a cut down Mirror spinnaker. Hes delayed the launch until he can round up enough abandoned supermarket trollies to make pushpits and dinghy davits with.

home made davits

Okay, now you've crossed a line. ;)

Its on its way to earning the record for 1000 days sitting in a supermarket carpark without being graffitied or burnt record.

It did it without requiring any outside assistance. How marvellous.

Don't worry about missing the launching/sinking ceramony.

Thats not going to happen anytime soon, if ever.

He has built himself a small house in the shape of something remotely resembling a boat.

How else would he be given the permit to occupy that piece of land and live there?

The building process will take forever after he moves in proper. :-)

maybe this guy isn't as dumb as we assumed....

No kidding!

He's built a waterfront home without any permits or pesky land ownership issues.

Well done sir!

Okay, where can I get about twenty big houseboat pontoons and some mobile homes.... and a mast and foils from a MacGregor?

EDIT: Change of plan. Just put the whole MacGregor on top of one of the mobile homes.

PHRF: 1250 ? Portsmouth: 420 ?

Wow. This thing has to be seen in person to be believed. No one was around, possibly because it was raining earlier. I drove around the area and can't imagine how they would get it to the water. There is a low brick wall separating the parking lot from the marina itself and really no suitable shoreline for "launching" nearby.

Cat.JPG?w=9db68519

Wow. This thing has to be seen in person to be believed. No one was around, possibly because it was raining earlier. I drove around the area and can't imagine how they would get it to the water. There is a low brick wall separating the parking lot from the marina itself and really no suitable shoreline for "launching" nearby.

Cat.JPG?w=9db68519

launch ramp

Cat.JPG?w=9db68519

launch ramp

I'm not at all sure it would fit onto that launch ramp. In any event, looking at in person left me with the conviction that it was never intended to float. It is a boatlike sculpture and not a very good one. I can't fathom why someone spent the time and money to construct such a thing.

On the other hand, the Battleship Ohio is in Richmond being refitted for its trip to San Pedro. The lines of the bow of that ship are breathtaking as it's sheer size and the size of its guns. Just a mile away is the Rosie the Riveter park, built around a stylized Victory ship, also awesome for the tale it tells of women serving during WWII, then being cast adrift when the shipyard went from 90,000 employees to 10,000 on a matter of weeks.

On the other hand, the Battleship Ohio is in Richmond being refitted for its trip to San Pedro.

it's the Iowa, i believe, in for a paint job

You are quite right. The Iowa. Believe me, she needs far more than a paint job. The original teak deck was replaced years ago with doug fir that is now rotting away. Luckily she has a swarm of volunteers going over her. It will be a huge job, but she will soon be ship shape and Bristol fashion. Too bad she won't stay here.

I haven't see anyone bring it up - but any chance that this thing will be balanced front to back? I mean if he really did manage to find water whats the chance that it goes stern first to the bottom or bow first to the bottom? LOL

Wow,

Slap a couple big outboards on that thing, and I could see it lasting a couple years cruising the San Joaquin Delta (might be kinda fun too).

But I cannot see it lasting six months on the open ocean under sail.

Big outboards are very expensive, weigh a lot, and put some incredible stresses on transoms. Powercats often want to go two different directions in waves at speed. Not that it really matters. No point to big motors in this case.That boat is too heavy to go fast no matter what kind of power you put. I'd think a pair of 50's, no more.

It appears as though the outside work has slowed down, and they could be finishing up the interior. Maybe now would be a good time for someone to go a knocking, and get an updated tour or chat with Mr. HotRod? Could any of the West Coast Anarchy Mafia help out (those who have, previously, thank you!)? Its a good thing he's not trying to do this in Chicago, as that "Thing" would have parking tickets all over it, and ultimately someone would figure out how to Clamp the Denver Boot onto her.

Wow,

Slap a couple big outboards on that thing, and I could see it lasting a couple years cruising the San Joaquin Delta (might be kinda fun too).

If you have started the thread recently and only seen the near-completed hull photos I can see where that could look possible.

From earlier construction photos, though, it's an absurd failure for structural strength.

With regard to framing, it's clear that he consulted no scantling rules, did no engineering analysis, didn't do good guesswork, most definitely did not get it right, and MOST definitely the huge errors were not in the direction of strength.

It seems very questionable whether it can survive even being hoisted. It's a heavy pig, but it's most certainly not a strong pig. Nothing like.

Pics taken about 3:00 pm on Saturday, 11 Feb. No visible activity, but looks like new paint, and at least it's mostly one color.

001-1.jpg

Where are the rudders going to go? where is the steering station?

002-1.jpg

why no windows? can't see out forward or to the sides

004-2.jpg

and I noticed the same as K38bob - he has to go thru here to get to the launch ramps

Pics taken about 3:00 pm on Saturday, 11 Feb. No visible activity, but looks like new paint, and at least it's mostly one color.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

and I noticed the same as K38bob - he has to go thru here to get to the launch ramps

You mean he has to try and navigate past all those Mac26's darting around in their 5th mode... They move so fast you can barely see them moving!

He who enters a Mac26 yard be weary!

Not that he will need it, but doesnt one needs a certificate of seaworthiness or what whatever the equivalent is called in your part of the world (given by a maritime organisation) before you launch, berth, insure, take people onboard, depart etc etc...

Not that he will need it, but doesnt one needs a certificate of seaworthiness or what whatever the equivalent is called in your part of the world (given by a maritime organisation) before you launch, berth, insure, take people onboard, depart etc etc...

nope - to most

insurance will give you hoops to jump, or clauses to escape should you have a loss

OK, what is the farm jack doing there?

dunno, but there's one on each side

Oh, OK, as long as the nonsense is symmetrical. :lol:

It looks like it has weight on it. It is leaning like they do just before falling.

There's no way that jack can move that boat, is there? And if it could, picking up the boat by a little corner would make a substantial dent.

That looks like mine, which I have been known to use for boat repairs and landscaping tasks. They're incredibly useful, but not for that purpose. At least, it never would have occurred to me to try.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

Maybe the guy has buddies in the house moving business. No worries. We don't need no steenkin' travelift.

I cannot see it lasting six months on the open ocean under sail.

Under sail? You kidding? Of course it will hold together under sail (assuming it holds together just floating in calm water, which obviously is not a given.) Have you seen the masts? He's got like a Cal25 mast and a Lido14 mast for main and mizzen (assuming, again, it's not going to be schooner rigged...) I'm willing to bet real dollars that the Home Depot galvanized cable he uses for standing rigging will be terminated in cable clamps.

wire_cable_clamps_n248-286.jpg

The chainplates will also be from Home Depot, securely fastened to the deck with a few #10 wood screws, right?

Angle-Bracket.jpg

The rig will fall over well before it can exert enough force to damage the 2x4s.

he might have a cheep pice of land that has a creek the with of the space between the hulls

he could drag it into place and use as a temporarily bridge that at least wont wash/float away

whatever he is doing - one thing he is Not doing is building a boat (house or otherwise)

the design might work if he starts to add lath gunnite wire gunnite wire gunnite till about 1 foot thick over top & sides = kinda like a dome

and then pile dirt to make a nice grassy noel w a few boulders and it will be gone and he will have a place to live wink.gif

I can think of nothing else that will work

oh besides sitting it atop 2 containers and using it as a shed cover ???

he might have a cheep pice of land that has a creek the with of the space between the hulls

he could drag it into place and use as a temporarily bridge that at least wont wash/float away

whatever he is doing - one thing he is Not doing is building a boat (house or otherwise)

the design might work if he starts to add lath gunnite wire gunnite wire gunnite till about 1 foot thick over top & sides = kinda like a dome

and then pile dirt to make a nice grassy noel w a few boulders and it will be gone and he will have a place to live wink.gif

Me and the gurlz could set up shop in there. No need to add windows, just a few eye hooks here and there

Venus

Slider in the back is probably the stiffest piece on the boat. Just some advice when they move it make sure the slider is open or that no one is inside cuz that slider won't be opening or closing once it gets moved in the direction of water.

Slider in the back is probably the stiffest piece on the boat. Just some advice when they move it make sure the slider is open or that no one is inside cuz that slider won't be opening or closing once it gets moved in the direction of water.

good point... it should be pretty funny when he realizes that

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty sure he did consult some scantling rules. I think the uniform building code (not sure what year). He might have done better to consult the more recent IBC but too late now.

Wow,

If you have started the thread recently and only seen the near-completed hull photos I can see where that could look possible.

From earlier construction photos, though, it's an absurd failure for structural strength.

With regard to framing, it's clear that he consulted no scantling rules, did no engineering analysis, didn't do good guesswork, most definitely did not get it right, and MOST definitely the huge errors were not in the direction of strength.

It seems very questionable whether it can survive even being hoisted. It's a heavy pig, but it's most certainly not a strong pig. Nothing like.

good idea to wait till it hits the water

then you can forsure put the windows

on what will be the top

till then it would only be a guess

Me and the gurlz could set up shop in there. No need to add windows, just a few eye hooks here and there

Venus

Bingo. Better use for the jib sheets that aren't going to be need for sailing.

he's waiting until the bank forecloses on something close so he can get a full set of matching timber sash windows with inbuilt sash weights, flyscreens and flower boxes. Hes going to have trouble fitting a rotary clothesline and tv aerial on the aft deck though. And for some reason, water keeps putting out the gas bbq...

You guys are still missing the concept.

Its not designed to go anywhere... he has a permit free beachfront condo that he has to pay a nominal dry-storage fee.

Not a bad idea really.

You guys are still missing the concept.

Its not designed to go anywhere... he has a permit free beachfront condo that he has to pay a nominal dry-storage fee.

Not a bad idea really.

if so, it still needs windows - kinda like a cave now

I stopped by to tour the boat and ask some questions - the boat is indeed built of 2x4 materials but the solid beams are made up of several wet glued together with west system epoxy, the stainless screws mentioned in the article were used in lieu of clamping. As the solid beams do span the full width and are actually part of a 'web' inside the larger 3/4" epoxy soaked plywood box beam it is possible that this thing could take some stress. that being said, he doesn't seem to know much about sailing - my 13 year old grandson went with me and while he was entranced with the huge spaces inside, was pretty clear that he wouldn't want to sail it in the great big ocean outside the GGate, I have friends with boat houses in Sausalito and this would certainly fit in there so he's still ahead of the game in terms of a large floating place to live...

It was mostly 'crazy' and desperate people that have pushed sailing and boat building to where it is today - Arthur Piver lived a few miles from here - and while there's always jokes about the 'bad' boats built to his plans there are several still sailing fine. My 1967 trimaran (Nicole, not a piver, cold mold, cedar, reskinned with West epoxy and glass in 2000 sails fine in the great big ocean and i'm sure was called a crazy idea when it was built. On a serious note - the joke about insurance - is there actually someone who will insure a wood based boat? my tri was insured but after being hit in Avalon was dumped by the insurance company...

It seems like Weeks since weve seen Rand float another sockpuppet.

Interests of :

Sailing, alternative energy systems and computer aided control systems. I own a software 'service' company that provides software to the non-profit community that helps track what they do and what impact it may have on society.

and your comments about crazy people advancing sailing, kind of gives it away though. Truly Reidiculous.

Did anyone inquire as to the lunch date?

fixed

it ain't goin in - less they can float it over to a marsh and set it in 2' of mud

fixed

it ain't goin in - less they can float it over to a marsh and set it in 2' of mud

So it's a stealth condo? How do they manage their sewage sitting up on the dirt like that? Do they just run into the marina when nature comes knocking?

He said this 3 dimensional flammable billboard would be launched last October... Please dont tell me he's only just realised he cant get it into the water and given up on it. ....

Sorry Reid, but I can afford only one coffee table book this year, and this story gets it because he stepped up, and used his own money. That might be dumb of him, but at least he has a work ethic and integrity.

fixed

So it's a stealth condo? How do they manage their sewage sitting up on the dirt like that? Do they just run into the marina when nature comes knocking?

http://www.airheadtoilet.com/

How many years do you think it will be before those sewage filled hulls will need pumping out....

fixed

How many years do you think it will be before those sewage filled hulls will need pumping out....

Well I was thinking with the air head composting wastes to be used in a garden..he'd be self contained...like the mariner in Waterworld generating potable water cool.gif

fixed

Well I was thinking with the air head composting wastes to be used in a garden..he'd be self contained...like the mariner in Waterworld generating potable water cool.gif

You Laugh

But the Water World Tri just kicked som Major ARSE in the DAGO-PV race ohmy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

It just occured to me this can be a stop on a 'kitch tour' of the bay area.

Last year I took my daughter to Seattle, and we had to find the Hat and Boots, Bridge Troll, Waiting for the Interurban, etc...

Now, when visiting the North Bay, it'll be the hippie sculptures in the mud flats by the bay bridge, the mothball fleet and the wooden cat to nowhere.

Isn't West Marine a clothing outfitter? Shouldn't he have been at Lowe's or Home Depot?

main mast compression post...

post-180-037797800 1318620353_thumb.jpg

That is fucking awesome. Havent laughed that hard in a while....

What - you don't think that the 2X4 pine wedges are strong enough to hold the "laminated" 2X4 pine compression post in place?

I sincerely hope that this thing breaks up close enough to shore so that this poor dreamer isn't hurt by what he doesn't know.