Jump to content

Older fast Aus multies


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's funny to look back at comments from 7 years ago.......... I bought it, wrecked it, rebuilt it and ready for round two

The old girl XL2 was relaunched this morning after repair / rebuild / and upgrades Thanks to all that helped after the capsize and then the journey upside down to Bermagui before being written of

No, Ave looks great, sails great, and the people on her were lovely when they were over here. Bottman, please put your energy into your reno so we can celebrate your success one day in a positive

Posted Images

4 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

I need 3-4 meters .... I can get that but will need to check the condition of whats there

 

I only need 13 m of pieces, you are welcome to the rest! High modulus carbon like that is gold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 2:03 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

We are making a comeback..... my wallet is twitching

 

How are you going @Skullduggerydave...?

 

IMG_5895.jpg

IMG_5894.jpg

Same same —I’m ready to rumble ,, heading down to Newcastle for a week study Cxwain cours  And catch up with the famous cliffhanger while I’m there .   

 

5C76FB47-D7DE-40DC-ACD6-C2E10AEF730B.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 3:03 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

We are making a comeback..... my wallet is twitching

 

How are you going @Skullduggerydave...?

 

IMG_5895.jpg

IMG_5894.jpg

Same same —I’m ready to rumble ,, heading down to Newcastle for a week study Cxwain cours  And catch up with the famous cliffhanger while I’m there .   

 

B3313D3D-A991-4463-9DE4-B7D719B8F384.jpeg

5DA4E0F8-7599-4744-B314-52CF6F80DFC5.jpeg

EACA346B-957D-414E-85A5-A1F0909A9975.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 6:36 AM, Skullduggerydave said:

Same same —I’m ready to rumble ,, heading down to Newcastle for a week study Cxwain cours  And catch up with the famous cliffhanger while I’m there .   

 

B3313D3D-A991-4463-9DE4-B7D719B8F384.jpeg

5DA4E0F8-7599-4744-B314-52CF6F80DFC5.jpeg

EACA346B-957D-414E-85A5-A1F0909A9975.jpeg

What is that tri and tell us about the beams. That is really interesting!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, craig fraser said:

Ben Bolt was built by my uncle Col Fraser

as a slightly larger sistership to Devils 3, also a Lex Nicol design

I asked because of the metal framed beams - I think the only tris I have seen with them were Ben Bolt and Manureva, looks like I now have to add another one.

I always liked the look of Ben Bolt - good on your uncle!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 4:01 PM, craig fraser said:

Hi Skull, who is the new owner? She was owned and built by my father Cliff back in the early 80's

 

Hey mate ... what’s you ph no I will get you 2 connect. The current owner is not really in the Multihull seen and does not really understand the significance of this boat I’m sure he’ll be glad to hear from you and any photos you have or anything of its former glory she’s now got a tiller steer set up which is shocking so yeah any help will be great . He’s sailing her regularly we took out a couple of times while I was there had acouple of changes but nothing major . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is another older fast cruising cat that I and Ostac built in 1986 . The original Parallax 11 designed by Robin Chamberlin , way ahead of its time , used to go very well upwind . Was a great boat until I convinced myself that Trimarans are better ! Am curios if anyone knows where it is now , was in Cairns owned by Ray Parsons I think !

Nekari front View.jpg

Nekari Parallax 11.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2020 at 5:11 PM, Paul Koch said:

Here is another older fast cruising cat that I and Ostac built in 1986 . The original Parallax 11 designed by Robin Chamberlin , way ahead of its time , used to go very well upwind . Was a great boat until I convinced myself that Trimarans are better ! Am curios if anyone knows where it is now , was in Cairns owned by Ray Parsons I think !

Nekari front View.jpg

Nekari Parallax 11.jpg

Yep good boat..... as was the Parallax 9

We built one of the later version Parallax / Corsair 36 22 years ago but the mold was changed to add head room when they enclosed the bridgedeck which then made clearance terrible and it slammed badly underneath 

Is it just me or is Bottom is saying if Ave Gitana is $230,000 then his bullfrog is worth way more than $50,000... ???
I just did a little add up and i think he would spend $250,000 to make Bullfrog as good as AG... $230,000 NZ is a great price IMO...... I know what XL2 is costing and it adds up.

Sorry to poke the bear bear but now he is over here at a legit threat

P 11.jpg

p 11.,.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

We built one of the later version Parallax / Corsair 36 22 years ago but the mold was changed to add head room when they enclosed the bridgedeck which then made clearance terrible and it slammed badly underneath 

Thanks for that story PIL, I always had trouble reconciling the Parallax/Corsair with Robin Chamberlin, as I thought he was scrupulous about clearance.  I always respected his designs, but would never have bought a C36.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A mate of mine owned the Parallax 9 Intrinsic for a few years (ex Don McWatters). Great pocket cruiser and we crossed the bay many times in her.

I think this is a different boat, now for sale: https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/parallax-9/239287

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Yep good boat..... as was the Parallax 9

We built one of the later version Parallax / Corsair 36 22 years ago but the mold was changed to add head room when they enclosed the bridgedeck which then made clearance terrible and it slammed badly underneath 

Is it just me or is Bottom is saying if Ave Gitana is $230,000 then his bullfrog is worth way more than $50,000... ???
I just did a little add up and i think he would spend $250,000 to make Bullfrog as good as AG... $230,000 NZ is a great price IMO...... I know what XL2 is costing and it adds up.

Sorry to poke the bear bear but now he is over here at a legit threat

P 11.jpg

p 11.,.jpg

Wait, what?!?  There was a Corsair 36 catamaran??  We are not talking Farrier catamaran?  We are not talking Corsair trimaran?  A Corsair 36 catamaran??  I didn't even know such a thing existed.  Just learned something I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wess said:

Wait, what?!?  There was a Corsair 36 catamaran??  We are not talking Farrier catamaran?  We are not talking Corsair trimaran?  A Corsair 36 catamaran??  I didn't even know such a thing existed.  Just learned something I guess.

Yes they existed and someone here will know the full story of how it was to be called a Corsair.

The Parallax 11 deck molds were modified to increase freeboard and add the bridgedeck saloon and bridge brake as i called it... I don't think Robin Chamberlin was involved or drew the square "brake" under the bridgedeck but I could be wrong... There would have been 5 or more originally built before the molds were sold ...For the 90's it had a modern look and is still holds it's own today.

My old man built a beautiful Cole 46 mono at the Traditional Yachts factory at Terry Hills before they went bust but I was always into him about multis and eventually I wore him down so in the late 90's he saw a brochure (That i strategically placed in his hands)at the Sydney boat show on the corsair 36 cat from a hugely overweight dude (His name escapes me) who opened a boat building yard in Brisbane north of the bridge... This guy had about 10 boat molds from Adams 12 to sport boats and the Corsair mold. We negotiated a ridiculously cheap build deal with him as it was to be the first boat and future show boat.  After the hull was built, he went broke taking everyone's money but we had building experience so we, unlike the rest, owned our boat at every stage of the build and saved the build other than hatches and winches that every other owner stole at the time. We then struck a deal with the Bergs at Allyacht Spars to rent a shed and finish it. We organised in a weekend midnight raid on the yard with military precision, cranes and a semi and we lifted and trucked it over the bridge to Lytton and were able to finished it. We are still grateful for their assistance on this and what goes around comes around so i just ordered a big ticket item from Joel at Allyacht.   
   I think ours was the last one built. 

It was a great cruising boat for my Mum and Dad... It go me and all my mates out to surf the reefs whenever the swell was big and I used it as a party barge and shag pad. Good times

13 hours ago, plywoodboy said:

A mate of mine owned the Parallax 9 Intrinsic for a few years (ex Don McWatters). Great pocket cruiser and we crossed the bay many times in her.

I think this is a different boat, now for sale: https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/parallax-9/239287

 

I sailed against Intrinsic a few times back in the day and it was a very impressive little boat that in it's conditions was very quick... I always wanted to buy it 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Yes they existed and someone here will know the full story of how it was to be called a Corsair.

The Parallax 11 deck molds were modified to increase freeboard and add the bridgedeck saloon and bridge brake as i called it... I don't think Robin Chamberlin was involved or drew the square "brake" under the bridgedeck but I could be wrong... There would have been 5 or more originally built before the molds were sold ...For the 90's it had a modern look and is still holds it's own today.

My old man built a Cole 46 at the Traditional Yachts factory at Terry Hills before they went bust and I was into him about multis so in the late 90's he saw a brochure at the Sydney boat show on the corsair 36 cat from a hugely overweight dude (His name escapes me) who opened a yard in Brisbane north of the bridge... This guy had about 10 boat molds from Adams 12 to sport boats and the Corsair mold. We negotiated a ridiculously cheap build deal with him and after the hull was built, he went broke taking everyone money. We had building experience so owned our boar at every stage and saved the build other than hatches and winches that every other owner stole at the time. We then struck a deal with the Bergs at Allyacht Spars and trucked it over the bridge in the dead of night and were able to finished it. I think ours was the last one built.

It was a great cruising boat for my mum and Dad... and I used it as a party barge

I sailed against Intrinsic a few times back in the day and it was a very impressive little boat that in it's conditions was very quick... I always wanted to buy it 

Damn.  That is an interesting historical tidbit.  Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wess said:

Oh for gosh sakes can"t you stay in your own thread and not pollute others. 

Every one is big on self isolation these days in the interest of the greater good.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Yes they existed and someone here will know the full story of how it was to be called a Corsair.

The Parallax 11 deck molds were modified to increase freeboard and add the bridgedeck saloon and bridge brake as i called it... I don't think Robin Chamberlin was involved or drew the square "brake" under the bridgedeck but I could be wrong... There would have been 5 or more originally built before the molds were sold ...For the 90's it had a modern look and is still holds it's own today.

My old man built a beautiful Cole 46 mono at the Traditional Yachts factory at Terry Hills before they went bust but I was always into him about multis and eventually I wore him down so in the late 90's he saw a brochure (That i strategically placed in his hands)at the Sydney boat show on the corsair 36 cat from a hugely overweight dude (His name escapes me) who opened a boat building yard in Brisbane north of the bridge... This guy had about 10 boat molds from Adams 12 to sport boats and the Corsair mold. We negotiated a ridiculously cheap build deal with him as it was to be the first boat and future show boat.  After the hull was built, he went broke taking everyone's money but we had building experience so we, unlike the rest, owned our boat at every stage of the build and saved the build other than hatches and winches that every other owner stole at the time. We then struck a deal with the Bergs at Allyacht Spars to rent a shed and finish it. We organised in a weekend midnight raid on the yard with military precision, cranes and a semi and we lifted and trucked it over the bridge to Lytton and were able to finished it. We are still grateful for their assistance on this and what goes around comes around so i just ordered a big ticket item from Joel at Allyacht.   
   I think ours was the last one built. 

It was a great cruising boat for my Mum and Dad... It go me and all my mates out to surf the reefs whenever the swell was big and I used it as a party barge and shag pad. Good times

I sailed against Intrinsic a few times back in the day and it was a very impressive little boat that in it's conditions was very quick... I always wanted to buy it 

That's a great story Pil, would like a dollar for every boat builder in the Hemmant area that's gone bust over the years

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bottman said:

Dear Pillock, what I have heard is that far more than $240,000 was spent on Ave and she is still slow, is that correct ? Bottman

No, Ave looks great, sails great, and the people on her were lovely when they were over here.

Bottman, please put your energy into your reno so we can celebrate your success one day in a positive way.

Peter

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

He has publicly taken responsibility on more than one occasion.

I would go sailing again with him anytime. 

Go sailing with you (and feel safe)? Not a chance in hell.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DtM said:

He has publicly taken responsibility on more than one occasion.

I would go sailing again with him anytime. 

Go sailing with you (and feel safe)? Not a chance in hell.

Plus one.  Can't we get back to what was a cool thread please.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a Corsair 36’ catamaran named  Parallax for sale in Hampton Virginia around 2015. I peeked at it from another boat but yes the bridge deck clearance seemed low to me even back then as I was just getting interested in multi hulls. Pil I wish I was around for one of those surf trips! Rented an Athena 38 and did that in Nicaragua last summer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Geese said:

There was a Corsair 36’ catamaran named  Parallax for sale in Hampton Virginia around 2015. I peeked at it from another boat but yes the bridge deck clearance seemed low to me even back then as I was just getting interested in multi hulls. Pil I wish I was around for one of those surf trips! Rented an Athena 38 and did that in Nicaragua last summer. 

@Geese  I will search and post a video called 2230 from a guy named Chris Stroh from Cronulla.  It was a particular huge east coast swell we had (2002..?) The Shark Island classic was cancelled so we rounded up 15 local guys on board and motored to the 5th left of the Merries reef off Boat harbour Kurnell dodging bombs across Bate Bay... It was a very dangerous day and I couldn't surf as there were sneaker sets every 15-20 minutes. I had to motor constantly with lookouts... The footage is amazing...My father never found out untill years later when we showed him. 

I believe the Parallax 11 was first built by Ostac yachts in the early to mid 90's in Brisbane. The model was called Corsair 36.... Here is a pic I found of whats seems to be a modified one I had not seen before with center boards called Deva...https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f32/38-catamaran-for-sale-4132.html... looks good.. It has a look more like Robins X beam XS... Another boat I love

I hope someone here has the the Ostac story

Also... Another boat I liked and would love to know it's whereabouts is Brandy Creek Ferry. I think it was a 26ft grainger... Anyone remember or know if it survived...?

For those wondering, I will post pics of XL2 in a couple of months... Thanks @DtM... will be in touch

I apologize to all for poking you know who and will now exercise my ignore button.... 

Parallax 11.jpg

Parallax 11 ....jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

@Geese  I will search and post a video called 2230 from a guy named Chris Stroh from Cronulla.  It was a particular huge east coast swell we had (2002..?) The Shark Island classic was cancelled so we rounded up 15 local guys on board and motored to the 5th left of the Merries reef off Boat harbour Kurnell dodging bombs across Bate Bay... It was a very dangerous day and I couldn't surf as there were sneaker sets every 15-20 minutes. I had to motor constantly with lookouts... The footage is amazing...My father never found out untill years later when we showed him. 

I believe the Parallax 11 was first built by Ostac yachts in the early to mid 90's in Brisbane. The model was called Corsair 36.... Here is a pic I found of whats seems to be a modified one I had not seen before with center boards called Deva...https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f32/38-catamaran-for-sale-4132.html... looks good.. It has a look more like Robins X beam XS... Another boat I love

I hope someone here has the the Ostac story

Also... Another boat I liked and would love to know it's whereabouts is Brandy Creek Ferry. I think it was a 26ft grainger... Anyone remember or know if it survived...?

For those wondering, I will post pics of XL2 in a couple of months... Thanks @DtM... will be in touch

I apologize to all for poking you know who and will now exercise my ignore button.... 

Parallax 11.jpg

Parallax 11 ....jpg

Hi Pil, those above photos are of Kialani. It was built by Ostac using the hull moulds of the parallax but with the deck design done by Tony Lawnton. It was built for Rob Cleveland an American expat who lived at Coolum with his Aussie wife and family. Rob was a good surfer and sailor and pushed his boat hard, I did a few races out of Mooloolaba on her and when the conditions were right we would take her to Old Woman Island to surf the excellent left hander there. This was during the early 90’s.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

@Geese  I will search and post a video called 2230 from a guy named Chris Stroh from Cronulla.  It was a particular huge east coast swell we had (2002..?) The Shark Island classic was cancelled so we rounded up 15 local guys on board and motored to the 5th left of the Merries reef off Boat harbour Kurnell dodging bombs across Bate Bay... It was a very dangerous day and I couldn't surf as there were sneaker sets every 15-20 minutes. I had to motor constantly with lookouts... The footage is amazing...My father never found out untill years later when we showed him. 

I believe the Parallax 11 was first built by Ostac yachts in the early to mid 90's in Brisbane. The model was called Corsair 36.... Here is a pic I found of whats seems to be a modified one I had not seen before with center boards called Deva...https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f32/38-catamaran-for-sale-4132.html... looks good.. It has a look more like Robins X beam XS... Another boat I love

I hope someone here has the the Ostac story

Also... Another boat I liked and would love to know it's whereabouts is Brandy Creek Ferry. I think it was a 26ft grainger... Anyone remember or know if it survived...?

For those wondering, I will post pics of XL2 in a couple of months... Thanks @DtM... will be in touch

I apologize to all for poking you know who and will now exercise my ignore button.... 

Parallax 11.jpg

Parallax 11 ....jpg

Unfortunately Brandy Creek Ferry was wrecked in a big Northerlie a few years back. Something like 20 boats ended up on the bricks that day. 

Back in the 90's there was a Corsair 36 in charter with the Moorings on Hamilton Island. Really cool looking boat but a bugger to work on. The only other cat in charter then was Winkali, the first Seawind 1000. Will never forget looking in the engine bay and thinking the engine had fallen off its mounts. My first encounter with a bloody Bukh 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently went to Peter Gows 80th and he gave me a bunch of pics so here they are...
Launching of Rob Mundles Catamundlepidgeons.... Crowther Catana 42..?  Then Peter Gows Simply the Best (stretched 46)... Now White Noise... Anyone know the year..?
Great boat and quick for it's day.... should have won the Gladstone back in the day but pipped by Kim on Alpha century due to a "Zero sail measurement dispute)..

Most epic sound system I'd ever heard anywhere..... Pete owned Miranda Hi- Fi chain  (And the Crowther Shockwave 37 of the same name)

Boats_00032B.thumb.jpg.2c03ce38eabbd13d82cc5d92c629f49b.jpg

Boats_00004B.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Crowther owned by Pete before Simply the Best was Duet... Of course Pete spent a bomb on it with new noses as later pics will show..... someone will know more of the story... Paul Nudd or Cruisey... Did Cruisey build that wing mast.... Technical stuff back then...

Peter apparently had a share in famous Simply the Best F40 (Many Line wins in the Gladstone)with Jamie Morris I am told... Could someone confirm this...? I doubt he sailed on it though.

More pics to come or Peters other boats

Boats_00019B.jpg

Boats_00020B.jpg

Boats_00021B.jpg

Boats_00022B.jpg

3B Duet_00007A.jpg

3B Duet_00017A.jpg

3B Duet_00020A.jpg

Boats_00024B.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, I like the new bows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Duet changed hands and become SCREAMER.

Ken the new owner capsized at some stage and rebuilt the very heavy wooden wing.

After getting in a heap of trouble, and apparently  spending time in the Big House he supposedly skipped bail and ended up in Darwin. Damaged the boat on the reefs around the Vernon Islands on the way.

Whilst sailing back to the East Coast single handed  he disappeared.

The boat fetched up near Cape Hotham and has gone through 2 owners since.

The last I heard it was renamed CUCI MATA and the colour scheme  has finally been changed.  (Not that it was bad it was just the association it drew with 

a notorious previous owner :o)

 

 

 

 

3B Duet_00007A.jpg

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Duet/Screamer/Cuci Mata no longer has the wing mast, which apparently was very heavy.  The owner before the current one obtained a 42' masthead rig from a mono, and was looking for a way to add a few feet.  At the same time, I had a 50' fractional rig lighter tapered section that I was concerned was too big for my 34' project cat - which is intended as a coastal cruiser.  So, we swapped. 

Last time I saw it, the wing mast was lashed to the fence at the MANTA (Multihull Association Northern Territory Australia) boatyard in Darwin.  I reckon a carton would secure it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Another Crowther owned by Pete before Simply the Best was Duet... Of course Pete spent a bomb on it with new noses as later pics will show..... someone will know more of the story... Paul Nudd or Cruisey... Did Cruisey build that wing mast.... Technical stuff back then...

Peter apparently had a share in famous Simply the Best F40 (Many Line wins in the Gladstone)with Jamie Morris I am told... Could someone confirm this...? I doubt he sailed on it though.

More pics to come or Peters other boats

Boats_00019B.jpg

Boats_00020B.jpg

Boats_00021B.jpg

Boats_00022B.jpg

3B Duet_00007A.jpg

3B Duet_00017A.jpg

3B Duet_00020A.jpg

Boats_00024B.jpg

Wow Phil you're bringing up some old memories there great stuff!! I remember fondly as a kid (must have been in the 90's) going onboard Duet when she was known as Screamer. She was anchored in Cid Harbour in the Whitsundays and the next day the owner sailed her out the back of the Islands passed Border Island while it was blowing snot and unfortunately she ended up going tits up losing the rig.  Those plum bows back then looked seriously hot and with the silver hulls and huge wing mast she was certainly a sight for a young cruising kid!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, trispirit said:

Wow Phil you're bringing up some old memories there great stuff!! ......  Those plum bows back then looked seriously hot and with the silver hulls and huge wing mast she was certainly a sight for a young cruising kid!!

When she arrived back in Darwin a few years ago, I spotted her at anchor in Sadgroves Creek.  I motored in circles around her several times and took lots of photos.  Then I went back to my project boat (which is a glass on ply 34' version of the same design with a little more WL beam to carry the extra weight) and reshaped the bows and cabin structures to emulate her lines.  She is still a bloody attractive boat in my eyes.  Current owner is a good mate I've known since he was a toddler.

Hmm, I found the photos but can't upload?  And they were taken in 2009 -  I need to ramp up the progress on my cat!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Pil, I think I was told that Pete bought the wingmast from Loch as it used to be on his super shockwave Wahoo (I might be wrong though) Pete was also the main instigator in getting Simply the Best (the old formula 40) up and racing again, I’m pretty sure he didn’t end up doing any racing on her though. That was left to Jamie (Morris) who was his partner in the project, Jamie doing the work getting her sailing again and up to cat 2 specs and Pete bankrolling it.                                                                                            Pete bought my Crowther Spindrift “ Nambawan” back in 1988, I never could work out why he wanted a Spindrift when he already owned what I thought was the coolest cat ever (Duet). He ended up selling Duet to Kenny Lang a mate of his for bugger all and spending heaps getting Nambawan to how he wanted it (this was before he bought Catamundlepigeons). Kenny Lang was a larger than life character who presumably fell overboard as his boat was found run up on a beach with the outboard down! That’s Kenny helming Duet in that last photo, blue shorts and red bandanna.                                                                                                                       Does anyone out there know where Nambawan is nowadays? And did Pete give you (Pil) any photos of her?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, he b gb said:

Hey Pil, I think I was told that Pete bought the wingmast from Loch as it used to be on his super shockwave Wahoo (I might be wrong though) Pete was also the main instigator in getting Simply the Best (the old formula 40) up and racing again, I’m pretty sure he didn’t end up doing any racing on her though. That was left to Jamie (Morris) who was his partner in the project, Jamie doing the work getting her sailing again and up to cat 2 specs and Pete bankrolling it.                                                                                            Pete bought my Crowther Spindrift “ Nambawan” back in 1988, I never could work out why he wanted a Spindrift when he already owned what I thought was the coolest cat ever (Duet). He ended up selling Duet to Kenny Lang a mate of his for bugger all and spending heaps getting Nambawan to how he wanted it (this was before he bought Catamundlepigeons). Kenny Lang was a larger than life character who presumably fell overboard as his boat was found run up on a beach with the outboard down! That’s Kenny helming Duet in that last photo, blue shorts and red bandanna.                                                                                                                       Does anyone out there know where Nambawan is nowadays? And did Pete give you (Pil) any photos of her?

Thanks for the info..... I was getting to Nambawan... these are the only ones i could get
Jamie will have the F40 story but that's how Peter version went...

 

Boats_00011B.jpg

Boats_00012B.jpg

Boats_00013B.jpg

Boats_00014B.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks heaps for those photos Pil, the bottom one is how she looked when he bought her from me.                                                        Pretty sure Aust Spirit wasn’t launched in 1968 !! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, he b gb said:

Thanks heaps for those photos Pil, the bottom one is how she looked when he bought her from me.                                                        Pretty sure Aust Spirit wasn’t launched in 1968 !! 

No it wasn't but it tells you it was launched in 9/3/89

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 3:50 AM, Jethrow said:

I saw Wahoo moored up on the entrance to Brisbane Waters on the NSW Central Coast a few months back.

Is that the same Wahoo that was on the Great Lakes in the U.S. around 98/99?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Is that the same Wahoo that was on the Great Lakes in the U.S. around 98/99?

I would guess no,

Wahoo in America became Nice pair,

I'm not certain of the history of Wahoo in aus, except that L.Crowther used that name for one of his boats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keith said:

I would guess no,

Wahoo in America became Nice pair,

I'm not certain of the history of Wahoo in aus, except that L.Crowther used that name for one of his boats.

Wahoo Aus was the same design as Nice Pair, but I'm almost certain they're different boats - the Aus one is still here to the best of my knowledge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 1:31 PM, Monkey said:

Is that the same Wahoo that was on the Great Lakes in the U.S. around 98/99?

No, Wahoo went to NZ and renamed 888.  I wanted to buy it when I was cruising through NZ in 2014, but didn’t have the money!  I think they were asking about $250,000US at the time.  The builder (built in Michigan I believe, forget the name of the builder, but think they make mostly carbon car parts) claimed it cost $1,000,000 to build.

6098F640-CFC6-474B-8E66-9F0E85976970.png

788EF40C-552C-4C52-A201-3E649426E0ED.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Different boat again Monkey, looks like Wahoo is a very popular name for Crowther cats. (I was even considering that same name for my Spindrift back in 1982! )

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wahoo / 888 is a Stuart Bloomfield/Brett Crowther design, only one was built in the U.S.  all carbon, de-mountable for shipping, very cool boat. 

I believe at the time they were tooling up to make a run of the design, but only one was built, there must be molds hiding somewhere.:)

Shes very similar to the Crowther Southern ocean 50 design another very cool boat and design. 

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/crowther-56-3164404/

The southern ocean 50 was a newer generation of the earlier pod cat designs like top gun and Room with view. 

But with all the Ausi knowledge on here, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to clear up any mistakes i may have written. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2020 at 1:10 PM, Keith said:

The Wahoo / 888 is a Stuart Bloomfield/Brett Crowther design, only one was built in the U.S.  all carbon, de-mountable for shipping, very cool boat. 

I believe at the time they were tooling up to make a run of the design, but only one was built, there must be molds hiding somewhere.:)

Shes very similar to the Crowther Southern ocean 50 design another very cool boat and design. 

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/crowther-56-3164404/

The southern ocean 50 was a newer generation of the earlier pod cat designs like top gun and Room with view. 

But with all the Ausi knowledge on here, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to clear up any mistakes i may have written. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yep .. Stuart Bloomfield design ... Shape is not far off the Southern ocean 50's (56) but 888 is a 3 beam boat.... It is my all time fav... O don't like the center wheel much or electric motors but it is a beast... Very costly carbon rig and new sails... Nice fellow too.... in fact I think he is out self isolating on it as we speak...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 6:18 AM, Tylo said:

888 has been listed as for sale for a long time. Pretty hefty asking price and a very... interesting equipment list to say the least.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-catamarans/50ft-carbon-cruiser-racer-catamaran/236748

Trying my best to not comment on the quality of the photos in an ad for a NZ$649k boat...

I remember now paddling a SUP around Kawau from anchor at the Lidgard shed to find this. Hard to paddle while drooling, I was very impressed with the aft raising work platform/swim deck surface.

20160202_111432.jpg

20160202_111448.jpg

20160202_111505.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 5:38 PM, ShaneBell said:

My favourite pic of 888 when it was well raced for a few years in Nz.

BC67D2A0-1EBF-4F60-B29C-4D44A5C56E6D.jpeg

Yes a great pic indeed but would have been an epic pic had the windward board been up..... It seems common in Australia to sail with both boards down .....not sure why...
This is an old pic before it lost the rig

Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually we are going quite fast in stronger winds so the water pressure stops them going up and down easily, unless you have a frame and pulley setup like the Sailgp boats.

That's my thinking anyway.

Great picture!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Yes a great pic indeed but would have been an epic pic had the windward board been up..... It seems common in Australia to sail with both boards down .....not sure why...
This is an old pic before it lost the rig

And  name reads the same on the remote chance you flip it

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 2:58 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Yes a great pic indeed but would have been an epic pic had the windward board been up..... It seems common in Australia to sail with both boards down .....not sure why...
This is an old pic before it lost the rig

888 boards are about 5m long and weigh a lot!  I helped shift one that was having some repairs done... 2 of us moved one end so a fender could be placed under it.

A friend of mine used to scrub the hulls, it was a meticulously well maintained cat.  The owner spent the boat dollars required, no expense was spared.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There was an American couple have lunch on the headland testing a new video camera years ago when Larry Bardseley and family in their home built chine yacht returning from the north pacific came in to Coffs and were filmed by the couple......some of the best footage of a succesfull surf ...the second wave looked bad but again the boat survived....... when the family docked , the couple presented the video.       ......and this was used to show TAFE Boatbuilding the conditions boats the would build go through. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 2:58 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

It seems common in Australia to sail with both boards down .....not sure why...

Makes more sense to sail with the leeward board up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, astro said:
On 4/13/2020 at 9:58 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

It seems common in Australia to sail with both boards down .....not sure why...

Makes more sense to sail with the leeward board up.

Yes but Australia is not very common sense now is it. 

:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Floating Duck said:

Yes but Australia is not very common sense now is it. 

:lol:

Not sure what that means.

Cats I sailed on managed their boards well, usually with the leeward board either up or more than half up.

The image we are talking about could have been taken near a mark or they were preparing to change course.

If I lived in Seattle I wouldn't be telling anyone in Australia how to sail.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 2:58 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Yes a great pic indeed but would have been an epic pic had the windward board been up..... It seems common in Australia to sail with both boards down .....not sure why...
This is an old pic before it lost the rig 

Racing means that you have experienced people sailing the boat, that means that it is perfectly safe to go to windward with both down, shares the load.  On a reach the leeward board needs to be raised either all the way or most of it so that the boat came crab to leeward if over powered instead of capsizing or having to dump the main an lose power.

I have been crewing on a large cat where the windward board snapped on a reach.  It was the only one down and extended all the way.  So eve when only one board is down, it still not always good to have it take all the load.

Amazing how people see one photo and extrapolate that for that boat in all conditions, then further, say that all of Australia does the same thing?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The old girl XL2 was relaunched this morning after repair / rebuild / and upgrades

Thanks to all that helped after the capsize and then the journey upside down to Bermagui before being written off and bought back

i tried every way to turn the pic but failed

i couldn’t be happier

 

494FD49F-6360-44DA-90C0-343E29EFC8A7.jpeg

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

The old girl XL2 was relaunched this morning after repair / rebuild / and upgrades

Thanks to all that helped after the capsize and then the journey upside down to Bermagui before being written off and bought back

i tried every way to turn the pic but failed

i couldn’t be happier

 

 

 

Congrats on a job well done.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, boardhead said:

Did the upgrade include new reverse bows?

Yep.... why not

7 hours ago, Bottman said:

Im not very computer literate but I figured out how to get the shot the right way up.The boat looks stunning. What is the black tip on the mast? Turned the laptop on its side, just trying to help,cheers, Bottman

The tip is just black Vinyl... for effect 

Link to post
Share on other sites