Older fast Aus multies

On 6/12/2013 at 4:14 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Man I hope so.....She was one powerful boat offshore in a blow and Nudd used to have go....... .So sad to see these things not used. We could start a thread on the many jems minding moorings.

XL2..Shotover 2...Matchless...Raw Nerv and that's just in NSW

It's funny to look back at comments from 7 years ago.......... I bought it, wrecked it, rebuilt it and ready for round two

IMG_6729 (2).JPG

• Like 11
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's funny to look back at comments from 7 years ago.......... I bought it, wrecked it, rebuilt it and ready for round two

The old girl XL2 was relaunched this morning after repair / rebuild / and upgrades Thanks to all that helped after the capsize and then the journey upside down to Bermagui before being written of

No, Ave looks great, sails great, and the people on her were lovely when they were over here. Bottman, please put your energy into your reno so we can celebrate your success one day in a positive

Posted Images

Does anyone have any first/second hand accounts of how Ave Gitana's electric propulsion working? As well as any other comments about Ave -- why was the mast replaced, how decent/cruisable is its interior, where is the extra ton of displacement compared to Bullfrog comes from?

23 hours ago, EarthBM said:

Does anyone have any first/second hand accounts of how Ave Gitana's electric propulsion working? As well as any other comments about Ave -- why was the mast replaced, how decent/cruisable is its interior, where is the extra ton of displacement compared to Bullfrog comes from?

Go to Multihull appreciation Society on Facebook.... that question will be answered 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, EarthBM said:

I have not sailed on the boat but raced against it a few times, been on it etc.

She is a purist racing tri. Minimalist interior. Not easy to move around inside, bulkheads etc.

I think she would be lighter than bullfrog if they were both weighed at the same time on the same scales.

Electric drive works well in and out of marinas etc but it means there is no charging except for solar. this has always been an issue for anything other than day racing.

She has quite a big rig which i guess it is why it was changed.

When I saw her she was well maintained and the owner had spent a lot of money on her.

Good speed upwind in light conditions

• Like 1
18 hours ago, bushsailor said:

I have not sailed on the boat but raced against it a few times, been on it etc.

She is a purist racing tri. Minimalist interior. Not easy to move around inside, bulkheads etc.

I think she would be lighter than bullfrog if they were both weighed at the same time on the same scales.

Electric drive works well in and out of marinas etc but it means there is no charging except for solar. this has always been an issue for anything other than day racing.

She has quite a big rig which i guess it is why it was changed.

When I saw her she was well maintained and the owner had spent a lot of money on her.

Good speed upwind in light conditions

Ave can also charge using the regeneration function of the engine not only using solar.

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, SeaGul said:

Looks great! What is the race weight of the boat without crew? I get its a lot of good sailors in AUS - but would i be faster with less people? 

Race weight less crew is 3200kg... Yes would be quicker with 4 instead of 6-7 but on day races there is constant gear changes. Every slow tack or slow mark rounding costs more than the weight penalty plus the boat is quite physical  ..... 1x helsman    1 x Main trim   1 x jib / screacher / kite trim    1 x dedicated grinder (Does center boards as well)    2 x bow / mid bow / mast.    We have Jib / Fro upwind/ fro downwind / kite....
The boys don't stop ... helps to have an extra for cleanup after maneuvers with 4 sets of sheets for forward sails, main, traveler and 5x halyards all being used. It's spaghetti ....
The vid on that day we knew we had breeze and the club commodore (Mono sailor) asked to come so we had 8 which is too many... In saying that, it didn't hurt too much as the angles were great and we had 15 + all day and we love introducing sailors to the multi world

• Like 5
15 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Race weight less crew is 3200kg... Yes would be quicker with 4 instead of 6-7 but on day races there is constant gear changes. Every slow tack or slow mark rounding costs more than the weight penalty plus the boat is quite physical  ..... 1x helsman    1 x Main trim   1 x jib / screacher / kite trim    1 x dedicated grinder (Does center boards as well)    2 x bow / mid bow / mast.    We have Jib / Fro upwind/ fro downwind / kite....
The boys don't stop ... helps to have an extra for cleanup after maneuvers with 4 sets of sheets for forward sails, main, traveler and 5x halyards all being used. It's spaghetti ....
The vid on that day we knew we had breeze and the club commodore (Mono sailor) asked to come so we had 8 which is too many... In saying that, it didn't hurt too much as the angles were great and we had 15 + all day and we love introducing sailors to the multi world

Its always great taking someone who hasn't sailed multis before out on a day like that.  Just watch the smile grow so big they can't wipe it off their face!

• Like 1

All these multis are faster with less people but it is easier to sail with  more and is more fun. Our goal is to sail with 5 but we nearly always sail with more.

We often have mono sailors come out. One strange experience was a sceptic standing in the protected cabin casually stating "these cats are slow aren't they" when someone pointed out that we were doing 18kn he promptly sat down and was gripping the seat. He did enjoy it after a while .

• Like 1