Older fast Aus multies

On 6/12/2013 at 4:14 PM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Man I hope so.....She was one powerful boat offshore in a blow and Nudd used to have go....... .So sad to see these things not used. We could start a thread on the many jems minding moorings.

XL2..Shotover 2...Matchless...Raw Nerv and that's just in NSW

It's funny to look back at comments from 7 years ago.......... I bought it, wrecked it, rebuilt it and ready for round two

IMG_6729 (2).JPG

• Like 11
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's funny to look back at comments from 7 years ago.......... I bought it, wrecked it, rebuilt it and ready for round two

The old girl XL2 was relaunched this morning after repair / rebuild / and upgrades Thanks to all that helped after the capsize and then the journey upside down to Bermagui before being written of

No, Ave looks great, sails great, and the people on her were lovely when they were over here. Bottman, please put your energy into your reno so we can celebrate your success one day in a positive

Posted Images

Does anyone have any first/second hand accounts of how Ave Gitana's electric propulsion working? As well as any other comments about Ave -- why was the mast replaced, how decent/cruisable is its interior, where is the extra ton of displacement compared to Bullfrog comes from?

23 hours ago, EarthBM said:

Does anyone have any first/second hand accounts of how Ave Gitana's electric propulsion working? As well as any other comments about Ave -- why was the mast replaced, how decent/cruisable is its interior, where is the extra ton of displacement compared to Bullfrog comes from?

Go to Multihull appreciation Society on Facebook.... that question will be answered 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, EarthBM said:

I have not sailed on the boat but raced against it a few times, been on it etc.

She is a purist racing tri. Minimalist interior. Not easy to move around inside, bulkheads etc.

I think she would be lighter than bullfrog if they were both weighed at the same time on the same scales.

Electric drive works well in and out of marinas etc but it means there is no charging except for solar. this has always been an issue for anything other than day racing.

She has quite a big rig which i guess it is why it was changed.

When I saw her she was well maintained and the owner had spent a lot of money on her.

Good speed upwind in light conditions

• Like 1
18 hours ago, bushsailor said:

I have not sailed on the boat but raced against it a few times, been on it etc.

She is a purist racing tri. Minimalist interior. Not easy to move around inside, bulkheads etc.

I think she would be lighter than bullfrog if they were both weighed at the same time on the same scales.

Electric drive works well in and out of marinas etc but it means there is no charging except for solar. this has always been an issue for anything other than day racing.

She has quite a big rig which i guess it is why it was changed.

When I saw her she was well maintained and the owner had spent a lot of money on her.

Good speed upwind in light conditions

Ave can also charge using the regeneration function of the engine not only using solar.

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, SeaGul said:

Looks great! What is the race weight of the boat without crew? I get its a lot of good sailors in AUS - but would i be faster with less people? 

Race weight less crew is 3200kg... Yes would be quicker with 4 instead of 6-7 but on day races there is constant gear changes. Every slow tack or slow mark rounding costs more than the weight penalty plus the boat is quite physical  ..... 1x helsman    1 x Main trim   1 x jib / screacher / kite trim    1 x dedicated grinder (Does center boards as well)    2 x bow / mid bow / mast.    We have Jib / Fro upwind/ fro downwind / kite....
The boys don't stop ... helps to have an extra for cleanup after maneuvers with 4 sets of sheets for forward sails, main, traveler and 5x halyards all being used. It's spaghetti ....
The vid on that day we knew we had breeze and the club commodore (Mono sailor) asked to come so we had 8 which is too many... In saying that, it didn't hurt too much as the angles were great and we had 15 + all day and we love introducing sailors to the multi world

• Like 5
15 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Race weight less crew is 3200kg... Yes would be quicker with 4 instead of 6-7 but on day races there is constant gear changes. Every slow tack or slow mark rounding costs more than the weight penalty plus the boat is quite physical  ..... 1x helsman    1 x Main trim   1 x jib / screacher / kite trim    1 x dedicated grinder (Does center boards as well)    2 x bow / mid bow / mast.    We have Jib / Fro upwind/ fro downwind / kite....
The boys don't stop ... helps to have an extra for cleanup after maneuvers with 4 sets of sheets for forward sails, main, traveler and 5x halyards all being used. It's spaghetti ....
The vid on that day we knew we had breeze and the club commodore (Mono sailor) asked to come so we had 8 which is too many... In saying that, it didn't hurt too much as the angles were great and we had 15 + all day and we love introducing sailors to the multi world

Its always great taking someone who hasn't sailed multis before out on a day like that.  Just watch the smile grow so big they can't wipe it off their face!

• Like 1

All these multis are faster with less people but it is easier to sail with  more and is more fun. Our goal is to sail with 5 but we nearly always sail with more.

We often have mono sailors come out. One strange experience was a sceptic standing in the protected cabin casually stating "these cats are slow aren't they" when someone pointed out that we were doing 18kn he promptly sat down and was gripping the seat. He did enjoy it after a while .

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

One of the best Older fast Aust multis is now on the market

This in my opinion is one of the greatest cats ever built here and it is still in perfect condition... The hull is Kevlar over foam the same as mine so it is bulletproof
asking around $280,000... Great value IMO.. I myself and very tempted

TG.jpg

• Like 6

Go for it Pil !

You only live once.   & it means you will go to your deathbed with a huge grin on your face,

knowing you have owned 2.... (NOT 1 but 2 !)     of australia's top/ iconic multihulls

+ a few others.

Can you sell the missus ?,  a child ?,  the family dog ? Hmm.....    :rolleyes:

• Like 1
On 6/19/2021 at 11:24 AM, peterbike said:

Go for it Pil !

You only live once.   & it means you will go to your deathbed with a huge grin on your face,

knowing you have owned 2.... (NOT 1 but 2 !)     of australia's top/ iconic multihulls

+ a few others.

Can you sell the missus ?,  a child ?,  the family dog ? Hmm.....    :rolleyes:

Please don't encourage me, I can do that all day long.

No, me and my crew have decided to stay with XL2. We have have got all the systems just the way we want and the only advantage for us would be the extra legs TG would have offshore in breeze.

BTW: if i bought TG it would 3 iconic multis..... TG / XL2 / Pumpkin Eater

And... No one would buy my kids, my misses is expensive and my dog would never be for sale at any cost.

• Like 3
On 6/18/2021 at 11:23 AM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

One of the best Older fast Aust multis is now on the market

This in my opinion is one of the greatest cats ever built here and it is still in perfect condition... The hull is Kevlar over foam the same as mine so it is bulletproof
asking around $280,000... Great value IMO.. I myself and very tempted

TG.jpg

What is the average core thickness and weight of the Kevlar layup for these ships?

The first Kevlar nomex boat the 18ft skiff Ch7  for Murray sailed on for about 10 years with no problems the owner only stopped sailing it because he upgraded to a faster boat. It stayed light and didn't absorb as much water as the later carbon nomex boats.

Kevlar nomex was used for the Mike Birch cat Formula Tag which then became ENZA  then went to Tracy Edwards followed by Tony Bullimore which showed good durability.

Curious to see what Lock suggested for layups for these cats.

21 hours ago, Mohammed Bin Lyin said:

What is the average core thickness and weight of the Kevlar layup for these ships?

The first Kevlar nomex boat the 18ft skiff Ch7  for Murray sailed on for about 10 years with no problems the owner only stopped sailing it because he upgraded to a faster boat. It stayed light and didn't absorb as much water as the later carbon nomex boats.

Kevlar nomex was used for the Mike Birch cat Formula Tag which then became ENZA  then went to Tracy Edwards followed by Tony Bullimore which showed good durability.

Curious to see what Lock suggested for layups for these cats.

Paul Nudd or Geoff Cruise could answer that... All I can say is the big overhaul we just did proved how tough these are... They don't build them like that anymore 

And on any boat... not Aussie but Kiwi

https://truenorthmarine.co.nz/1987-blade-runner-13-5m-custom-slime/?fbclid=IwAR3F8KSV8lIkCpCEA2wBM21FLN-1c9mTaZXjdo5EVe9y24Vuyo-i5WdaNVs

• Like 1
On 6/21/2021 at 9:01 AM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

, my misses is expensive 

There's your answer right there.

• 3 weeks later...

Lock in the eighties speced kevlar cloth only as a layer on the inside of the foam with double bias non woven cloth, and triax non woven cloth on the outside of 20mm H80 Divinycell for 35-45 foot boats  the daggerboards used Kevlar unis from forward around the back of daggerboard cases then forward again ....the inside to outside laminate near the board having no core nearby    maybe after Gavin hit the whale   but nothing is going to help if more than a glancing blow 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

An older multihull that seems to be in Aus at the moment... I wouldn't want to have to try to get insurance, find a marina berth, replace rigging or sails... she likely wouldn't be competetive with the other ORMA here.... but I'm sure she'd be great to sail....

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sailing-trimaran/jeanneau-orma60-gen-2/266570

3_4.jpg

• Like 4
8 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

An older multihull that seems to be in Aus at the moment... I wouldn't want to have to try to get insurance, find a marina berth, replace rigging or sails... she likely wouldn't be competetive with the other ORMA here.... but I'm sure she'd be great to sail....

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sailing-trimaran/jeanneau-orma60-gen-2/266570

3_4.jpg

Where's Pil ?

You can't turn this one down ?

4 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Oh man I would love to.... the logistics of ongoing maintenance and no mooring for it would be an issue... But @Barefoot Wazza may be keen

And they say the Baja Bash is a slog.  Only 3.5 days & the ride looks quite comfy at 15kts!  Amazing.  Could sail to Cabo and back over spring break!

On 9/10/2021 at 8:56 PM, vokstar said:

Not my ad but looks like it would be a fun boat to have. Looks a bit pricey though maybe?

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/grainger-raider-309/266653

I always wonder why this particular orange one has been listed for sale for what seems like years and years.

Love the Grainger raider design, prefer the red all carbon one. :)

Catamaran Indian Chief racing in Wangi, Australia

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Keith said:

I always wonder why this particular orange one has been listed for sale for what seems like years and years.

Love the Grainger raider design, prefer the red all carbon one. :)

Catamaran Indian Chief racing in Wangi, Australia

The orange boat sold about 1.5 yeas ago to Stephen in Pittwater. he had owned Cynophobe before I bought it. I was surprised he bought this Raider and now he is selling it... not sure why...  
Boss Racing is good buying ay that price... 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

The orange boat sold about 1.5 yeas ago to Stephen in Pittwater. he had owned Cynophobe before I bought it. I was surprised he bought this Raider and now he is selling it... not sure why...  
Boss Racing is good buying ay that price... 

Still on Pittwater, Was bought by Beau White about 12 months ago, Hasn't been used for a while though

• Like 1
On 9/11/2021 at 1:56 PM, vokstar said:

Not my ad but looks like it would be a fun boat to have. Looks a bit pricey though maybe?

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/grainger-raider-309/266653

Yep, that is more than it sold for when it left Brisbane and headed to Sydney, quite a bit more.  Still a great boat, beautifully maintained by Paul for many years.  

• Like 1

We just had a great weekend of racing on my old aussie multi and wanted to share a little vid of our Bribie Cup race on Saturday from Sandgate to Bribie Island, Moreton Bay. Wind started at 10 knots on the nose and was well above 20 by the finish in Bribie Passage. Sheets were eased a little for one leg where you will see a power boat having to hit the juice to get past in the chop. We hit 16 knots there and exceeded 20 a few times on the way home after the race with only screacher because we were enjoying beers.

This is my 20 year old reno project F9R Full Bore, one of the lightweight boats built by master boat builder Dean Snow . We are extremely fortunate to have a few of them in Brisbane, and behind my boat at the finish were others he has built, 2nd RedShift F82R, and 3rd Endorfin F22R. If only we could get someone with a few bucks to buy his latest, Volantis, F32.

Best part of the day was testing my lockdown-built high aspect carbon cassette rudder which is absolutely sensational. Total boat weight racing with all safety and cruising gear is still under 1600kg.

It was also pretty sweet to beat the first monohull, a Beneteau First 40.7 by 30 minutes on elapsed time, but who brags about things like that...

Enjoy!
Peter

• Like 6
On 9/20/2021 at 10:14 PM, plywoodboy said:

We just had a great weekend of racing on my old aussie multi and wanted to share a little vid of our Bribie Cup race on Saturday from Sandgate to Bribie Island, Moreton Bay. Wind started at 10 knots on the nose and was well above 20 by the finish in Bribie Passage. Sheets were eased a little for one leg where you will see a power boat having to hit the juice to get past in the chop. We hit 16 knots there and exceeded 20 a few times on the way home after the race with only screacher because we were enjoying beers.

This is my 20 year old reno project F9R Full Bore, one of the lightweight boats built by master boat builder Dean Snow . We are extremely fortunate to have a few of them in Brisbane, and behind my boat at the finish were others he has built, 2nd RedShift F82R, and 3rd Endorfin F22R. If only we could get someone with a few bucks to buy his latest, Volantis, F32.

Best part of the day was testing my lockdown-built high aspect carbon cassette rudder which is absolutely sensational. Total boat weight racing with all safety and cruising gear is still under 1600kg.

It was also pretty sweet to beat the first monohull, a Beneteau First 40.7 by 30 minutes on elapsed time, but who brags about things like that...

Enjoy!
Peter

Peter, ( jolly good bit of footage there!)

why were the multis not using the OMR handicap numbers, but a widely varying correction factor, some were quite a percentage off, a few had very little percentage change.

12 hours ago, JasonL said:

Peter, ( jolly good bit of footage there!)

why were the multis not using the OMR handicap numbers, but a widely varying correction factor, some were quite a percentage off, a few had very little percentage change.

Good question, OMR is great when all boats are measured but this race has always been an inclusive encouragement to get a good fleet to the first big race of the season. Hence PCF is used based on data from the winter series and outside club data. Only a few in this fleet had recent valid certificates.

True story in January 2020 a guy purchased this cat in Adelaide South Australia, he set out to sail to the East coast with a lady friend that had never sailed before, they ran into unseasonable big Southerly winds so were beating into big waves, he was sitting outside steering, she was curled up in bed. They made it to Robe South Aus, he gave it away in the supermarket and walked away from it, even had 5 full cans of fuel for the outboard still on it. A lady from Robe Sailing Club was walking through the supermarket and said yes and that was it

BD736A90-1802-4434-BB4F-6AF72C6CAEE0.jpeg

D0147FCD-3765-4E7D-836F-4BA2CECF415F.jpeg

• Like 5
On 9/23/2021 at 11:58 PM, socalrider said:

This looks pretty cool - maybe not quite fast enough for this thread but fast enough for me

Nice looking ride.  Perhaps the attractive price is reflecting that only NZ perspective buyers can view it at the moment...

Cedar strip-planking is very desirable by some folks around here.  I think it is still considered one of he best materials for cyclical fatigue and durability.

59 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

What's the catch....?   $175K usd seems too low

I thought so too.  It only has one head and no real option for a second, which was a dealbreaker for me (too many kids), so I stopped digging.  Tough to visit in NZ, not many pics, might be a bit neglected.  I dunno, but it seems like a great platform.  

The Brady cat is good value but not an artificially low price due to being a bad boat.

It is a relatively simple build and fit out, and built relatively cheaply.Add the Covid effect and you have an attractive deal.

As an incentive - if you buy it I will pick it up and look after it in Auckland (at your cost) until you can get down here

• Like 2
On 9/25/2021 at 6:48 PM, madboutcats said:

True story in January 2020 a guy purchased this cat in Adelaide South Australia, he set out to sail to the East coast with a lady friend that had never sailed before, they ran into unseasonable big Southerly winds so were beating into big waves, he was sitting outside steering, she was curled up in bed. They made it to Robe South Aus, he gave it away in the supermarket and walked away from it, even had 5 full cans of fuel for the outboard still on it. A lady from Robe Sailing Club was walking through the supermarket and said yes and that was it

So what is this, looks sweet, and just my size ?

3 hours ago, Redreuben said:

Crowther - same design as Wayne Turner's original rocket "Fritz" - there was one out west too - "Galah" 

No photo description available.

• Like 1

Aah, Shockwave 29’

Galah, I helped Chris Gaudet fair that boat. 
I don’t think it’s in the west any longer 

There was another one here as well, was for sale for ages, rumoured to be quite over weight. 
Good boats. 

On 10/5/2021 at 4:52 PM, Redreuben said:

I’ve got no idea, I looked over it with the new owner and took the photos, at that time was destined to be a sailing fishing platform out of American River on Kangaroo Island

3 hours ago, Redreuben said:

Aah, Shockwave 29’

Galah, I helped Chris Gaudet fair that boat. 
I don’t think it’s in the west any longer 

There was another one here as well, was for sale for ages, rumoured to be quite over weight. 
Good boats. 

Nah Red, a Harrier.

Postdates the shockwave.

Chris is no longer with us as I am sure you are aware.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Nah Red, a Harrier.

Postdates the shockwave.

Chris is no longer with us as I am sure you are aware.

Ah yes the Harrier, gotcha. 
No I wasn’t aware, that’s sad, he was a fine man who worked hard laying the foundations for Multihulls in WA. 
RIP. 

Red, I must mention, you did a good job on the fairing. 
Chris started building that when he was working with Trev at the “ Yacht Grot” from memory. I remember looking at that just after launch and thinking that was not an easy fair with the combination of concave ,convex and large low camber  surfaces.

10 hours ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Red, I must mention, you did a good job on the fairing. 
Chris started building that when he was working with Trev at the “ Yacht Grot” from memory. I remember looking at that just after launch and thinking that was not an easy fair with the combination of concave ,convex and large low camber  surfaces.

I believe so.

My work was mainly instructional, someone had given him poor advice on how to use the longboard, I put some sweat into one hull. I never saw the finished boat though much less a ride. Nevermind, life was all over the place at that time.

On 9/24/2021 at 11:05 AM, plywoodboy said:

Good question, OMR is great when all boats are measured but this race has always been an inclusive encouragement to get a good fleet to the first big race of the season. Hence PCF is used based on data from the winter series and outside club data. Only a few in this fleet had recent valid certificates.

OMR is great but weighing your boat every two years... not so much

I really get that these -"just race" events with no rating is so popular - like the Silverrudder in Denmark - and the R2AK etc. If we get a genoa we rate like a rocket ship - higher than a Maxi 100 - something has to be wrong.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

^^ I think all@sea is just pointing out to redreuben that the boat is for sale, and at a bargain price in my opinion.

• Like 1

Nah...    not Top Gun.    :wacko:

He has finally seen the light....    ta-da,   :o

A Proa     B)

A Rob Deney proa     B)B)

The one with foils   ;) 

• Like 2
On 9/9/2021 at 12:04 AM, ALL@SEA said:

3_4.jpg

^^ it’s gotta be this one isn’t it Pil ?

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Tylo said:

Heckin' cool boat. Here's another video:

Very sweet ride by the looks of it. Reckon it could nearly compete with Top Gun?  (probably a bit heavier for its size given the boxy look; Top Gun’s extra 5 ft should also be faster overall) 

Any race results vs other NZ multis?

18 hours ago, galacticair said:

Very sweet ride by the looks of it. Reckon it could nearly compete with Top Gun?  (probably a bit heavier for its size given the boxy look; Top Gun’s extra 5 ft should also be faster overall) 

Any race results vs other NZ multis?

Top Gun should be quicker all around... Slime weighs 3100kg but I suspect that is absolute light ship.
XL2 and Slime are a better comparison. They are very similar in many ways.
It appears to be off the market. I hope John got his money and it means there are buyers out there for our style of boat...

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-catamarans/crowther-shockwave-modified-lengthened-updated/268870

I might need a fancy video .

3.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Top Gun should be quicker all around... Slime weighs 3100kg but I suspect that is absolute light ship.
XL2 and Slime are a better comparison. They are very similar in many ways.
It appears to be off the market. I hope John got his money and it means there are buyers out there for our style of boat...

I was actually thinking of XL2 as the other cat to compare to (layout & overall look closer to Slime). But I thought XL2 was a bit too short in comparison -- OMR still registers XL2 at 39ft LOA, is that still right with the new bows? (I see the listing shows 42ft instead).

Weight is always the killer - I'm surprised OMR shows the 43ft Super Shockwaves at 4.4-5.1 tons, vs. 39ft XL2 at only 3.3 tons. Top Gun was previously at 4.4 tons, now at 5.0 tons.  Even with measurement errors plus differences in as-weighed setup, the weights on the same/similar boats vary a lot.

It is an unfortunate truth that there are few buyers for any of these racing multis. Fast multis cost $ (especially for upkeep), while people with $ seem to prefer to spend on monos, or multis that focus on comfort instead of speed. Meanwhile, most people who like fast multis don't have the funds for the larger ones. Still, I'm sure XL2 will find a good home, it's too good an opportunity for the right sailor!

21 hours ago, galacticair said:

I was actually thinking of XL2 as the other cat to compare to (layout & overall look closer to Slime). But I thought XL2 was a bit too short in comparison -- OMR still registers XL2 at 39ft LOA, is that still right with the new bows? (I see the listing shows 42ft instead).

Weight is always the killer - I'm surprised OMR shows the 43ft Super Shockwaves at 4.4-5.1 tons, vs. 39ft XL2 at only 3.3 tons. Top Gun was previously at 4.4 tons, now at 5.0 tons.  Even with measurement errors plus differences in as-weighed setup, the weights on the same/similar boats vary a lot.

It is an unfortunate truth that there are few buyers for any of these racing multis. Fast multis cost $ (especially for upkeep), while people with $ seem to prefer to spend on monos, or multis that focus on comfort instead of speed. Meanwhile, most people who like fast multis don't have the funds for the larger ones. Still, I'm sure XL2 will find a good home, it's too good an opportunity for the right sailor!

XL2 is now 42 ironically and weighs exactly 3200kg with sails. fuel, anchors as we sail it.
I didn't get an OMR cert because I would use one once a year so the cost every 2 years is silly

20 hours ago, Mpeb said:

Xl2 is different from the 43ft supershockwaves. That design had a bridgedeck and had 12m length when first launched. Later stretched to 13.5m.

Yep

8 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

XL2 is now 42 ironically and weighs exactly 3200kg with sails. fuel, anchors as we sail it.

Very impressive, that’s 500kg+ less than the Granger R42 tri Venom (which is the closest OMR comparable I can think of). 

7 hours ago, galacticair said:

Very impressive, that’s 500kg+ less than the Granger R42 tri Venom (which is the closest OMR comparable I can think of). 

I thats pretty impressive for Venom too - lots of more space - 10,4m wide - extremely powerful boat....  at a slightly higher cost....

Slime is pretty fast. We Raced against it in the Route 66 (66 miles) the year before lockdown. I thought they would kick our ass. We ended up beating them by about an hour boat for boat. Slime looks nice and tidy and looks seriously fast. I think the sails might be a bit tired but that's just a guess. I think it's been for sale for the last year. Would be a great ride for the Coastal Cassic. They are in our YC but they don't race with us. I understand they did a lot of cruising with it. It sits in the Mahurangi near Warkworth. 

• Like 1
On 9/25/2021 at 8:18 PM, madboutcats said:

I just got my hands on this old girl. She is in quite a state, stripped of anything valuable, not even a jerry can on board. The outboard was hanging on by a ratchet strap. While she isn't in a good way her structure is good and she'll make a fine cruiser. Esychia was built in Queensland in 1990 and sailed to Vanuatu and PNG, she still has an O.N. which will come in handy for international trips. The Harrier hulls were the base for the Pescott summerhaven and have a huge 6'4 headroom. She is heavy on the helm and terrible to windward but she'll make a great ride for now.

• Like 6