2 pulled from bay, 1 missing after boat capsizes

dew

Just heard this on the news, 2 pulled from bay, 1 missing after boat capsizes. One report said a 20 foot sail boat. Awful chilly out there. Be safe, Happy Holidays

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/for/2011/12/17-31/2-pulled-from-bay-1-missing-after-boat-capsizes.html

Emergency crews pulled a man and a woman out of the waters off of Sandy Point State Park Saturday afternoon and are searching for a third person after their boat capsized.

According to Anne Arundel County Fire, crews first received calls for help shortly before 3 p.m. for a capsized boat. Crews began searching the Chesapeake Bay just north of the Bay Bridge near the mouth of the Magothy River with multiple rescue boats and helicopters searching for the missing people.

One of the two people recovered from the water was unconscious and emergency crews were actively trying to resuscitate the person, said county fire spokesman Capt. James Rostek.

Shit was blowing out there today. was on/near the water all day just down the bay from where this happened thats just shitty, bay temps are down to about 47 that will take the breath out of you real quick, hoping for the best interested in any more details if it was power or sail

Yes it is reported to be a 20 foot sail boat. That is not the most protected water. Sounds as if the survivors are not doing that well. scary stuff. The third person has a pretty limited time in 45 degree water it has been a around 4 hours now since this was reported.

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) - Officials from the Coast Guard and Anne Arundel County are searching the Chesapeake Bay for a missing boater after earlier recovering two other people from the water.

Continue reading

No Comments

Post a comment

Officials responded Saturday afternoon to a report of capsized sailboat in the waters off of Sandy Point State Park, near the Bay Bridge.

Emergency officials say a 25-year-old woman was pulled from the water and is being treated for hypothermia. A 40-year-old man was not responsive and was being treated for what officials called serious and life threatening injuries.

And crews are still searching for a third boater, identified as a 25-year-old man.

A county fire department spokesman said crews had not yet recovered the sailboat as of early Saturday evening.

A week before Christmas.

Sounds like the board couldn't have been down? (10-15 knots of breeze)

Horrible news.

Our deepest sympathies and prayers go out to the families.

As of this morning one KIA, one survivor, and one MIA presumed dead. My brother saw the SAR activity from the Bay Bridge driving home from the island.

http://www.precisionboatworks.com/boats/p18/index.html

The manufacturer says "lead ballast, self-righting". WTF?????

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/top/2011/12/18-44/Deadly-day-on-the-bay.html

winds were 15 in the article I call BS, it was easy 18 with gust's up to mid 20's and there was a short bay chop as well. As for arm chair quarter backing, I bet big puffed pushed her over, sail's couldn't be released in time, cockpit swamped and boards were out so it did a J24 impersonation.

It is a very sad lose, I feel for the entire family of those who lost a loved one near christmas but I think I feel worse for the women who lived through this and and the other two perished. guessing it was a b/f and dad or some such deal

As of this morning one KIA, one survivor, and one MIA presumed dead. My brother saw the SAR activity from the Bay Bridge driving home from the island.

http://www.precision.../p18/index.html

The manufacturer says "lead ballast, self-righting". WTF?????

http://www.hometowna...on-the-bay.html

350lbs is not much for a shallow keel.

Sad to hear, as noted being this close to Christmas. Our best to the family in this time of need.

winds were 15 in the article I call BS, it was easy 18 with gust's up to mid 20's and there was a short bay chop as well. As for arm chair quarter backing, I bet big puffed pushed her over, sail's couldn't be released in time, cockpit swamped and boards were out so it did a J24 impersonation.

Yep, I agree, Trend.

Peak gusts for daylight hours were less than 20 from the nearest data station:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44043

But off the mouth of the Mag it probably would have gone into the low 20's, and gusty with the NW'er coming down the river.

Boy, this is some grim stuff...heart goes out to the families.

Jim Taylor is a pretty good designer, Precision have built a lot of his designs. Until the full details emerge (if ever) comments about ballast, stability, etc., are likely to not be based on knowledge. Unless one is familiar with that boat.

Oh man, that's rough - very sad all around. Have to wonder about small-craft sailing there at this time of year - unless you are expert it's just not anything like a good idea, and an expert would tell you not to bother. My sincerest condolences - our love of sailing can really get the better of us, sadly.

I agree. I was working on my boat all day that day not that far away on the Patapsco and it was downright nasty out. Cold, blowing in the high teens, gusting in the 20's and seemed somewhat shifty. As much as I sail I had absolutely no desire to be out there. My condolences to the families.

Yep, I agree, Trend.

Peak gusts for daylight hours were less than 20 from the nearest data station:

http://www.ndbc.noaa...p?station=44043

But off the mouth of the Mag it probably would have gone into the low 20's, and gusty with the NW'er coming down the river.

Boy, this is some grim stuff...heart goes out to the families.

Ran a Bertram 31 to my yard the same morning.

Severn river to South of Thomas Point.

It was cold and breezy.

Was alone, short run but makes you think how quick it can go bad.

One other boat out a 41 cat heading south.

Heard the news when I got home.

Very sad day on the Bay.

Condolences to the family.

Damn, that sucks..

I agree with you Olson newbie. I sailed often with my Dad as a kid in the winter (and froze my ass off)..but there are some days and certain boats when you should just stay tied to the dock. :(

Thoughts and prays for the two that were lost and to their family and friends in this very difficult time. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for the surviving woman.

Just read the official report on what happened. I was out on my 20' power boat Saturday for a cruise up the Patuxent from Solomons to Vera's and it was a solid 15 with higher gusts. The river had some big waves, I don't think I would have wanted to be on on The Chesapeake, very cold as well! We heard the Pan-Pan and the coordinates but at ~60 NM away we could be of no assistance. We knew it did not sound good at the time. A good lesson why I try to monitor 16 as much as possible when on the water, never know when you might be able to help...

Whole thing is awful. My 8 year old was out racing Jet 14's off SSA saturday and 1/2 of the fleet had capsizes due to the shifty puffy NW breeze, my son included. Drysuits are required gear at our club after October. Its a shame more folks dont know how deadly the water temps are and how easy it is to get in over your head this time of year. Condolences all around.

I heard the boat is laying on the bottom of the bay in about 40 ft. of water. Anyone heard if they have recovered it yet? Scary day, and how the bay can turn ugly and be unsafe, especially this time of year.

• 3 weeks later...

Whole thing is awful. My 8 year old was out racing Jet 14's off SSA saturday and 1/2 of the fleet had capsizes due to the shifty puffy NW breeze, my son included. Drysuits are required gear at our club after October. Its a shame more folks dont know how deadly the water temps are and how easy it is to get in over your head this time of year. Condolences all around.

indeed. scary stuff

Archived