Starting another Dart..

jim lee

Jim's got another cool gig up his sleeve and I'll leave it up to him to introduce it....for now you all will just have to guess what this is (it works very well!).

2012-10-03_143254.jpg

2012-10-03_143250.jpg

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty close, we call it the Alien beer cooler. Solid state, liquid cooled chiller.

[geek speak]

Electric coolers you see marketed for cars use these in an air to air cooler configuration. The problem with air to air is that in order to work, it needs a good "heat path" for the thing to pull the heat out of your cooler. Now, when you turn off the power, this "heat path" acts like a big hole in your ice chest letting all the heat back in. Poor design, but cheap to build.

Using liquid to air, when the power shuts off, the heat path also shuts down because the flow of liquid stops. Now you have a cooler that can be really well insulated. Better design, more costly to build.

At least that's the theory we're going on for now.

teceng.jpg

The heart of the thing is a peltier device. (I think its the closest thing to magic we've ever come.) Its basically a slilcon chip (Huge one) that when you put power aross its leads it holds a temperature differential across its faces. I've seen advertised differences of over 100deg f. So, lock one side to the outside water temp, IE the ocean or lake your sitting in, and the other side drops down about 100 degrees from that. I haven't measured the one we built here, but in a couple minutes of being turned on it'll flash freeze water splashed onto it.

http://www.kryotherm.com/

The idea was to build one of these into an ice chest and then infuse the cooling lines into the core at the bottom of the hull. But.. We're not there yet. The setup we built burns 6A and that's about 6x the max power burn for a current Dart in camping mode today.

They are kinda' cool gadgets to experiment with. Power one way and it cools. Reverse the power and its a heater. But, the real interesting thing is.. Hold a temperature differential across the faces, and it will generate power. I was able to, with the unit in the picture, run sink water on one side, hit the other with a propane torch and run a 12V electric motor. So, if you have a source of wasted heat, like maybe exhaust gas? Next to a heat sink, like the ocean? In theory, you can build a solid state power generator and get free power using these things.

Sometime after Mark's boat is completed, I'd like to get a new top bit machined that will fit a beer can, then wrap the entire package in insulating foam and see just how will it does work for cooling beers.

[/geek speak]

Anyway, hijack my own thread, sorry.

We were saying?

-jim lee

I [also] just watched an episode of "How It's Made - Pleasure Sailboats". It showed a 40' Jeanneau being built. There is no comparison. I can't believe anyone would even consider buying one, especially if they saw how it was built. [...] The finished product is all shiny and nice, but truly it's all just lipstick on a pig.

Q: Why would anyone consider that 40-foot Jeaneau?

A:

• It's got lots of bedrooms.
  • It's cheap.

Q: Does a person who wants a boat with lots of bedrooms really care how it's built or how well it's built?

A: Absolutely not. For starters, the chances that they will take it into unprotexted waters are 1 in 100, if that high. Secondly, if any part of the boat fails, they can just sue, right? Never mind that there haven't been any successful suits against builders for anything less than catastrophic failure.

Jim as an EE, I believe the solid state coolers of a 48 quart sized proportion might be too much of an electrical pig to use on battery for any length of time (on shore power, no problem). The flash beer can cooler, though, seems really interesting (it's actually a thought I'd had myself, when everyone was making those single cup warmers for your desk). Sorry continuing your own hijack...

No question it's nice to see boats built right, caught that How It's made episode myself, no comparison.

I'm also an EE, and have spent some time with thermoelectrics. The thing about them is that their effectiveness is directly related to the temperature difference between the hot side and cold side. They can pump the most heat when the delta-T is zero, and once it gets to about 25 degrees ©, the heat transfer goes to zero. The take home from that is that you want to keep the cooling water as cool as possible. Figure 4 watts of electricity burned for every watt of heat removed.

Still, it's a cool take on the idea of refrigeration. And count me among those who are enjoying watching the build process.

We've been burning midnight oil and not a lot of time for updates. Actually, so much little detail and fiddly work's been going on there wasn't much to show. Here's the project so far.

DSCN0288.jpg

Templates. I always talk about them, we have hundreds and I can't stress enough how important they are. Each one represents hours or even days of engineering time. Time that would have to be spent on every boat if not saved in a template.

DSCN0287.jpg

All templates. Kinda like warehouse 13 in here.

DSCN0273.jpg

Steve working on trailer package parts.

DSCN0284.jpg

Trailering package parts being finished up.

DSCN0289.jpg

Trailering package parts completed.

We have..

Keel block box for keeping the keel up in the boat while launching.

Mast crutch, this is a spacer used for dropping and raising the mast. If you drop the mast all the way down, you'll crunch things. This solves the problem.

Keel crane alignment plate. This sets in the top of the companionway with the keel crane leg through it. This holds the crane upright.

DSCN0297.jpg

Attaching foam to the trailer bunks. Slowly the trailer gets finished up.

DSCN0294.jpg

Guy working on trailer lights.

DSCN0293.jpg

Geoff rigging lifelines. Geoff does a lot of work in trade for Dart privileges. For example, he took a bunch of friends for a weekend camping cruise on Dart #1 a few weeks ago. pics here : http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=137124entry3887890

DSCN0272.jpg

Building up the ring the mates to the bottom of the Dart's hull. This is then shaped to fit the keel opening.

DSCN0295.jpg

Tim sanding "through the grits" on the keel.

DSCN0301.jpg

Sadly not a very good image but we are weighing the completed keel. We shoot for as close to 850 lbs. as possible. This one came out 848 lbs. We are happy, the math all worked out.

DSCN0309.jpg

Keel loaded on a pallet for transportation.

DSCN0307.jpg

Pallet being loaded into the shop truck to be transported to Jim Betts' place. We Can't lift the boat high enough to get it over the keel. We can get it on the trailer though and Mr Betts has this really slick shop crane..

DSCN0310.jpg

Lining up the boat to be lifted.

DSCN0312.jpg

Dart lifted off the trailer ready for the keel.

DSCN0311.jpg

Grabbing the keel out of the shop truck.

DSCN0313.jpg

Keel being loaded on the trailer.

DSCN0314.jpg

Lining up and dropping in place. This kinda' stuff scares the living lights outta' me. Doesn't seem to bother the other guys though.

DSCN0315.jpg

Keel's in and we're heading back to the shop.

There was some issue with the fit, there always seems to be. So hopefully by monday we'll have all the kinks ironed out. Next we hope to set up the standing rigging and seeing if it all fits.

Getting close to complete..

-jim lee

Jim,

Again, thanks for the awsome photo show of the build. I look forward to the thread popping up to the top every time I enter this zoo.

Was just wondering if you could tell me where you get your trailer bunk foam, have been looking for a while for some good long lasting

stuff. Ands its getting time to put the old girl back in the barn again.

Thx, in advance & keep the great photo's coming.

Whoo hoo! Love the update Jim! Dart #3's new home is ready!

133932_10151069501716196_751913114_o.jpg

Custom designed with bunks spanning both forward and aft bulkheads while confroming to the overall hull shape. This design also allows for the boat to be postioned with bow facing in or out. It's hard to see in the pic but there is a keel bunk to release pressure from the hull while in resting position. The step-down slip wraps around which allows easy loading and unloading from just about anywhere on the dock, regardless of water level. Dock boxes are positoned nicely for easy access. Dart #3 has company with her tender, "The Black Pearl". The cove behind our home is 1/4 mile wide by 1.25 miles long. Trade winds will allow near perfect conditions for windward-leeward practice drills up and down the cove. MP

I hate how jealous this thread makes me...Nice work Jim, please keep posting pics when you have time. Would love to see the Dart take off in a larger scale, provided you can maintain the high quality build.

Thanks Mojo! Indeed, I am a blessed man. I completely agree with you on the SA thread. It truly is special to have an opportunity to see such incredible workmanship, especially after visiting Left Coast HQ and meeting the brilliance behind the build - great group of guys.

Best Regards, Bada Bing.

Hi Jim,

I see Corecell was used as the rudder core. Any consideration for epoxy foam? Ampreg makes an epoxy foam called F230-1 which is sold through Gurit. Seems to have properties between Corecell A800 and A1200 (closer to A800 though). Density is in the neighbourhood of 10 lbs/ft3

Trailer bunk foam: I'll look it up when I get back to the shop. Its a place in Seattle we get it through is all I remember. Its in the database.

The thread, or at least our part of it, is almost completed. Once we get the rest of the bugs worked out, we'll hand it off and its up to Badda Bing to let us know about the life and times further antics of Dart #3.

Epoxy core : Most all of our resins are styrene based. Polyester, vinyl ester etc. From what we've seen, the styrene tends to attack and soften epoxy. So, we only use epoxy in situations where the styrene based stuff is already cured. Inside cured keels etc. I'd have a tough time trusting an epoxy based core knowing I'm going to flood it with a styrene based resin.

I'm kinda' jealous about that dock as well. Can you swim off it? Is the weather as warm as it looks? It looks like a lot of fun!

-jim lee

Just to clarify, I was referring to a foaming epoxy made by Ampreg rather than epoxy foam.

Sicomin makes a similar product, but I don't think there's is available in North America. There is a 4 minute video by Sicomin on the internet showing them building a rudder using the stuff. I think they also mention it is compatible with vinylester and polyester, although it looks like they did a full epoxy and glass layup in the video. Even if you used polyester with the glass and are concerned about compatibility, just wait till it cures, then pour in the foam.

Jim,

Again, thanks for the awsome photo show of the build. I look forward to the thread popping up to the top every time I enter this zoo.

Was just wondering if you could tell me where you get your trailer bunk foam, have been looking for a while for some good long lasting

stuff. Ands its getting time to put the old girl back in the barn again.

Thx, in advance & keep the great photo's coming.

I am really fond of using Hydro-Turf (diamond pattern) as it is closed cell (doesn't retain water) and the grooves let the hull dry, which is pretty important to avoid moisture issues where the hull sits on the bunks.

Jim,

Definitely one of my favorite SA threads. Fascinating to see it all come together.

Question on the window install, the guys just taped mask around the edge to hold glue, then hot glued the blocks to the masking tape, then slapped the wooden wedges on and that held the window in place while the adhesive/sealant cured?

Amazing stuff!

The last few days...

DSCN0316.jpg

One of the last things to check was the standing rigging. There had been a few changes and we wanted to make sure all the "math" worked out. I wanted to make sure, I'd been loosing sleep over this for months!

Start with mast in cradles..

DSCN0317.jpg

Step one, insert mast crutch to get the required elevation over the cabin top hardware.

DSCN0319.jpg

Hook mast base to mast step with hinge pin.

Missing picture is me pulling on the forestay at the front of the truck while Tim/Tom steady the mast.

DSCN0322.jpg

And its up. Everything checked out and I breathed a large sigh of relief.

DSCN0323.jpg

Start packing everything inside for shipment. Thats the rudder up there in blue. Notice there's cushions now, classy!

DSCN0327.jpg

Shrink wrap begins..

DSCN0329.jpg

Much more involved than I expected. I've never seen a boat shrink wrapped before. This entire shrink wrap deal was driving me nuts. Mark wanted it, I didn't know anyone that did it. We were out of time, trying to finish last minute items and line up shipping all at the same time. Mark started looking up shrink wrapppers online in Seattle two hours away. "Can you have the trucker stop in Seattle and have it wrapped?" Everyone was tired. I was cooked. I'd decided the only way to get the thing shipped on time was for me to just use my truck drag it down myself. This is when my wife Julie stepped in and lined up shipping, in about 10 minutes.

"Oh.. Well thank you!"

Then Tim/Tom called a buddy of theirs that did shrink wrapping. His shop was about 200 yards from our shop and yes he can be here in 3 minutes..

"And thank you guys!"

DSCN0328.jpg

At about this time, the only thing I was capable of doing to help was pick up double cheeseburgers for everyone. Hopping in my truck to run to town for the burgers, I found one of the boat's parts in the truck's drink holder. Mark's team will find it tie wrapped to the outboard mount when it gets to New Orleans.

DSCN0337.jpg

And it was done.. This is last night. Tom's doing one last inspection.

DSCN0336.jpg

Looks like a big blue.. Sausage.

DSCN0344.jpg

Trucker showed up this evening.

DSCN0345.jpg

And Dart #3 was gone.

I hope you've all enjoyed the story. And I REALLY HOPE Mark will enjoy his new Dart.

Thanks everyone for letting us share this with you. As always, it was a wild ride!

-jim lee

Mark P., proud owner of hull #3 here.

Gotta agree with Mojo's feelings. I have been completely consumed by this thread and the build - even before i decided to buy. The reality of seeing this beauty departing Left Coast HQ leaves me with strange feelings. Watching the build became a hobby of sorts. Having the opportunity to personally visit Left Coast, meeting Tim and Tom, taking Hull #1 for a sail, having west coast "gold beer" and fish tacos on Anacortes Island while getting to know Jim personally made this experience truly special. I don't feel like I own a Left Coast Dart as much as I "belong" to a Left Coast Dart.

How ironic that I am on the west coast at the time the boat leaves Left Coast. I am sure to fly over that bad boy sometime on Tuesday while in route home in the NOLA area.

Jim, all my best to you and your team. Trust that Hull #3 is in very good hands. I hope to make you proud.

DSCN0344.jpg

Trucker showed up this evening.

DSCN0345.jpg

And Dart #3 was gone.

I hope you've all enjoyed the story. And I REALLY HOPE Mark will enjoy his new Dart.

Thanks everyone for letting us share this with you. As always, it was a wild ride!

-jim lee

Hey Jim,

I can't thank you enough for this thread. It made my day!!

It's been great following this build. Getting it right becomes all-consuming I know. Mark, I know that stepping down from the 40 leaves you deep in crew but I"m living in Slidell now and If you need another body with a pretty good skillset give me a shout. You probably still have my number.

Will

Wow. That shot of the extraordinary boat, hidden beneath durable shrinkwrap, strapped securely to a capable trailer pulled by a solid pickup under the American flag.

A solid and patriotic ending to a phenomenal thread.

Thanks, Jim.

Badda-Bing; enjoy your boat! I like how you say that you don't own it, it owns you. I think that does nicely sum up boat ownership... good luck in your little corner of heaven with a cool boat.

Well done Jim. Thanks a lot for this fabulous threat.

Now, we hope that Mark P. (Badda Bing) will follow informing us of his adventures with this boat. I hope it was part of your selling conditions!

IMG_0579.jpg

After days of detail work masking begins. The plan is to paint everything but the rear floor. Reason being that the rear floor gets a lot of wear and tear during the build so we'd like to paint it last.

IMG_0580.jpg

Finishing up masking. Summer is coming and its hitting over 70 deg. For us that's pretty warm. Not only does it make the bunny suits more uncomfortable we also have to adjust the chemistry of the resins we're using.

IMG_0584.jpg

About 2-3 years ago the Arlington gelcoat plant shut down. Suddenly, gelcoat is coming from somewhere else. The reps insist that there is no difference whatsoever. When we called them out to see what was going on, they told us it was our fault.

What's going on is this new stuff kicks off way too fast. So fast in fact, that if you actually get the stuff on a part, the wax doesn't have time to rise to the surface before it kicks. This causes the resin to never fully cure. Acetone will wipe it off. Just horrible.

What to do? We need to mix inhibiter chemicals to slow the stuff down. We're adding pigments, inhibiters, catalyst.. Mad science and its annoying.

So the trick your seeing here is leaving a resin/gelcoat blob on the counter that the guy running the chemicals keeps an eye on. This way he keeps the guy running the spray gun informed as to how fast his resin is reacting.

IMG_0587.jpg

Everything sprayed white..

IMG_0586.jpg

Another shot. Most of what you see here is covered by cockpit, out of sight, out of mind and forgotten.

We need to do a little side trip next week. Someone just bought another Dart rudder for their B/25. Seeing it is a Dart part, I'll post some pix of putting that together as well. Then we'll have to deal with pulling everything out of their molds and putting the hull and deck together. The old shop had gantries, this shop does not. I' not sure how we're going to do this.

-jim lee

We went through similar problems with suppliers in the 90s. "We know you like that 3/4 oz mat from the other guys but try ours--it's better." Me: "ok, but it better be 6.75 oz per square yard--not even a bit over!". So I take a roll, and weigh a 10 yard hank. Weight: 1 oz/yd squared.

A colleague in Canada was building a 45 foot lobersterboat and got a new shipment of fiberglass mat from his supplier. He's working with it and it doesn't go around corners, doesn't wet out, just awful. He looks on the box and notes that it has a different code than before. Turns out it was Chinese. So he pressed his supplier and found out how to order U.S. made mat instead--same product number, but different code.

We were very fussy with the gelcoat. We had one supplier. Like you, at some point the manufacturer was bought out. Fortunately we got that to work. The resin however, at one point Reichold changed the standard 100g cup time for 072 resin. We started adding inhibitor to make it work with our old process. But I didn't like doing that. We were slowing it down more than anybody else. So I looked at our process and refined it. I found we could build a better part, but using the faster formulation.

But the idea that wax was getting trapped in the gelcoat is a nightmare. That just isn't right at all.

Wow. That shot of the extraordinary boat, hidden beneath durable shrinkwrap, strapped securely to a capable trailer pulled by a solid pickup under the American flag.

A solid and patriotic ending to a phenomenal thread.

Thanks, Jim.

Badda-Bing; enjoy your boat! I like how you say that you don't own it, it owns you. I think that does nicely sum up boat ownership... good luck in your little corner of heaven with a cool boat.

My thoughts exactly. Very patriotic moment. I've followed this thread from the beginning, and just wow... Well done Jim and crew!

All that pic needed was some fireworks in the distance.

No worries of coverage on the the receiving end mates. ETA is tomorrow, early afternoon (CDT). I will be there to welcome that bad-boy. We'll be sure to capture pics of unwarapping, commissioning, etc. All will take place at Pontchartrain Yacht Club, Mandeville, LA. Sail-maker and rigging teams are scheduled to "get jiggy with it" first thing Thursday morning. We hope to splash and begin the 25-mile delivery to NOLA before the skippers meeting, 1900hrs.

Pretty sweet to debut this baby at the premiere Lake Pontchartrain regatta, LPRC. Going up against a some of the best sailors in GYA. Datsa NICE!

Will capture pics and post. Stay tuned. MP

I spoke with Jim earlier this afternoon about a matter un-related to the Dart and he was most helpful and knowledgeable to talk to. I wish one of these little rocket ships was in the cards at the moment, but for now it will have to wait.

Kudos to you Jim for doing something that you love and building a first rate product and your candid sharing of the trials and tribulations that go into building a boat! Thanks again and I look forward to doing business with you in the future.

Ok. As promised, here are the links for race results from day-1 of the Lake Pontchartrain Racing Circuit, New Orleans, LA. We are racing in Class-C.

Scratch Sheet: http://www.saillprc.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/LPRC_Scratch.pdf

Results:

http://www.saillprc.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/race-1-results.pdf

http://www.saillprc.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/race-2-results.pdf

Tomorrow's race is a point-to-point steeple-chase, 19.4 miles. The forecast is calling for 18-20kts, NNW. It will be a beat most of the way. This my friends will be interesting.

Jim, this boat is REMARKABLE!!! Honored to be in the Left Coast Dart family. MP

Ok. As promised, here are the links for race results from day-1 of the Lake Pontchartrain Racing Circuit, New Orleans, LA. We are racing in Class-C.

Scratch Sheet: http://www.saillprc.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/LPRC_Scratch.pdf

Results:

Tomorrow's race is a point-to-point steeple-chase, 19.4 miles. The forecast is calling for 18-20kts, NNW. It will be a beat most of the way. This my friends will be interesting.

Remind me please, which boat name is yours.

Results:

I'll give you a hint...his is the third Dart. Class boats often carry the hull number on their sail. He's in class C.

Second hint ... Most owners don't post results when they lose.

Third hint...reminder, he said class C.

Final hint..."sapphire"

BB...time to start worrying about your rating!

Results:

I'll give you a hint...his is the third Dart. Class boats often carry the hull number on their sail. He's in class C.

Second hint ... Most owners don't post results when they lose.

Third hint...reminder, he said class C.

Final hint..."sapphire"

BB...time to start worrying about your rating!

Damn, we'all a bit slow up here, but one hint was sufficient. Thanks, and congrats on the new ride. Best of luck tomorrow.

Hobot, I hear you on the pics. We have lots of the arrival and commissioning. The crew member that took the pics camera card reader went kaput. We plan to have a photographer on a spectator boat Sunday for race action. Hoping to post a bunch after the regatta. Hang in there mate!

As expected, Didn't think it would take long for the rating issue to pop up. Indeed, we had a great first day (average 6 kts wind). However, (wearing my former board of handicappers hat), two races do not constitute a basis for a rating debate (but point well-taken A.L.L.).

BB

Hobot, I hear you on the pics. We have lots of the arrival and commissioning. The crew member that took the pics camera card reader went kaput. We plan to have a photographer on a spectator boat Sunday for race action. Hoping to post a bunch after the regatta. Hang in there mate!

As expected, Didn't think it would take long for the rating issue to pop up. Indeed, we had a great first day (average 6 kts wind). However, (wearing my former board of handicappers hat), two races do not constitute a basis for a rating debate (but point well-taken A.L.L.).

BB

What are some of the other boats in your class?

got it.. thanks

just from a boat type perspective, it seems odd that it wasn't in B.

curious how you'd do against the Melgi

JIm = yeah I was looking at that too.. would have been a respectable finish in that fleet..

BB

No way to argue for a rating change based on those results. The fleet was way too spread out. Beat #2 by 80 sec/mile in one and 57 in the other race. What would you change the rating to?

JIm, if Sandy pays a larger than expected visit I might be giving you a call next week LOL

202573_10150928818626196_823977507_o.jpg

Sold the former Sapphire (First 40.7 above) to a fellow yacht club member and friend Wayne Jablanowski. We clocked enough miles on Sapphire to circumnavigate earth 3 times! KWRW, Rolex Cup, Heineken Cup, BVI, Regatta Al Sol, western Caribbean, Eastern Caribbean, Bahamas, Mexico.... Good times, good memories!

Now for the next Sapphire Campaign - Dart #3. Arrival and commissioning pics:

171899_10151094078036196_1874121895_o.jpg

Arrived PontYC at 12:44pm on Wednesday, Oct. 24th.

178195_10151094080681196_1922841759_o.jpg

Happy new owner, Mark, and relieved wife Lisa Palermo. If not the Dart, it was going to be the J111. She saved $220k.

Shook hands with Tim, the delivery driver, gave him a big fat gratuity for getting her here fast and safe, then he was off to enjoy some great cajun cusine and rest before heading home to Tennessee.

665468_10151094079536196_1009598830_o.jpg

53918_10151094085641196_559318031_o.jpg

More crew and staff from our local Ullman loft shows up with "hey skip, we have the keys" (blades).

622816_10151094088481196_1245014668_o.jpg

"Easy fellas, EASY!"

665594_10151093124296196_1825443208_o.jpg

Let the Commissioning Commence! Don't you just love that new boat smell.

269915_10151093124886196_459186299_n.jpg

Splashola! Me and my sail-maker and very good friend, Dave Bolyard, of Ullman/Westwind Sails, having a little boat bonding time alone on Sapphire. Sails fit perfectly! there was no way possible to deliver the boat and make it to the Skippers Meeting so Dave went on my behalf so I could enjoy the maiden voyage across Lake Pontchatrain.

Now let's kick the tires!

169110_10151094107186196_821729537_o.jpg

My nephew (and Godchild) Matt and I mad ethe 25 mile sunset cruise together - pretty cool.

665658_10151094104571196_2125534244_o.jpg

135602_10151094108436196_912536856_o.jpg

Day-1 of LPRC - Pre-race prep - Game on bois! Race-1: Bullet

544738_10151094108936196_240473829_n.jpg

Race-2: Bullet

No pics of Day-2 and Day-3. 20-34kt winds from the NNW. Monster, ugly chop in Lake Pontchartrain for Saturdays' Steeplechase, a freaking beat the entire 17-mile course. I had a migraine from driving the entire race.

18-25kts NNW on Sunday. Fortunately we were on the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain, sailing out of Pontchartrain Yacht Club. Still choppy though. Top boat speed was 14.4 kts in about 24 kts TWS. Datsa NICE!

Final Results: 1st - 1st - 2nd - 1st - 1st.

DSC05058-300x209.jpg

Boat of the Regatta - "Sapphire, USA-3" From left to right, Crew Stanley, DJ Bolyard, Collin Ross, Mark Oswald (back), Skipper/Owner Mark Palermo, Pusser Rum CEO, and Tactician and Sail-Maker, Dave Bolyard.

547029_10151093124806196_1390954503_n.jpg

After two exhausting days of racing, and following the awards ceremony, we loaded up all the Booty and began the 22-mile sail to Sapphire's new home port, behind our home in Lake Shore (Slidell), LA.

665690_10151094665911196_202153380_o.jpg

Homeward bound with a boat full of beauty and magical memories from our debut regatta.

133304_10151095553381196_46897651_o.jpg

Home port. Next? go fast...er mods!

Great writeup Mark, really love the pix!

An amazingly good feeling, knowing everything worked out.

I feel like we ran our own mini America's Cup Campaign. And won!

P.S. Congrats on the win!

-jim lee

Jim, I share your "AC" feelings. Still tingling (on two levels); (1) the glory of winning the red jacket, and (2) the affects of a pounding Lake Pontchartrain on my body. It's all good.

Ryley, we went with the symetrical design configuration, then went with a 120% pole and chute. The spiinaker is the same size as a J30. So if your your reference to square sails is big ass symetrical chutes - YES! This boat sails well under both Asym and Sym platforms. After spreading the numbers I decided to go downwind, deep and fast - VMG baby! I am VERY please with the boats performance downwind in both light and heavy air.

We learned so much just after this one "soup to nuts" regatta. We're now embarking on a 16 item punch list of rigging mods to help optimize efficiency for racing as well as short-handed sailing. I will keep the thread alive by posting pics with explanations as we proceed.

Badda Bing.

I think a Dart can fetch 65-80thousand.

Attracting 20 something's to this sport is important. You will do well.

I really like the boat. But 65-80k? You realize one was auctioned off for 40k right? Complete.

I'm sorry, but in the current economy, I don't know too many people who have 65-80k to throw at a toy. And I live in the richest county in the US. More importantly, there aren't 20 somethings who have that kind of money. Honestly, a 25 year old has only been working professionally for a few years and is still paying off college loans, rents an apartment, has a car payment, etc. They aren't looking to dump 70k on a brand new boat.

I'm not saying the boat isn't worth the coin, just that 20 somethings, don't have that kinda coin. Sorry, that comment just really stuck me as being WAY out of touch with the 20 something crowd.

funny how they find that kind of money for a car or power boat.

Many people in that 25-35 group can afford to pull the trigger but they dont sail

I really like the boat. But 65-80k? You realize one was auctioned off for 40k right? Complete.

I'm sorry, but in the current economy, I don't know too many people who have 65-80k to throw at a toy. And I live in the richest county in the US. More importantly, there aren't 20 somethings who have that kind of money. Honestly, a 25 year old has only been working professionally for a few years and is still paying off college loans, rents an apartment, has a car payment, etc. They aren't looking to dump 70k on a brand new boat.

I'm not saying the boat isn't worth the coin, just that 20 somethings, don't have that kinda coin. Sorry, that comment just really stuck me as being WAY out of touch with the 20 something crowd.

Many people in that 25-35 group can afford to pull the trigger but they dont sail

Actually, the boat is now over $125,000, which includes the trailer and a lot of other equipment that were formerly options. The buyers of 1,2,and 3 got a below-cost bargain! How come I'm always the guy who shows up just when the party is over?

Couldn't disagree with you more. Clearly I'm hanging out with a crowd of poverty stricken 20 somethings. I haven't seen many people in their 20's driving brand new BMWs or Benz around town, or screaming along in a $70k power boat. But what do I know, you probably know more 20 somethings than I do. :rolleyes:

Actually, the boat is now over $125,000, which includes the trailer and a lot of other equipment that were formerly options. The buyers of 1,2,and 3 got a below-cost bargain! How come I'm always the guy who shows up just when the party is over?

Where did that # come from? Troll...

He's off by $5K, but I don't think that makes him a troll, From http://www.eskimo.com/~leftcst/iWeb/Left_Coast/Price_List.html

LC DART - $120,000

The Dart includes everything necessary to sail, except sails. Build takes 7 - 8 months

Where did that # come from? Troll...

I stand corrected. My apologies, Hawaiifins, for jumping to conclusions. That's a lot of coin. Clearly a well built product though.

I'm with Merit on the fact that at 30, unless you're a trust fund baby, you're not shelling out close to that much coin for a boat. We, two 28 year olds at the time who are well employed, bought our boat for short dough and struggle to afford it among all of the other things in life...People spending more than $30k on a boat are wealthy (make more then 200k a year), and if they're not, maybe they can share their budget with me so I can get my hands on a Dart! (Edit: Or an extra $120K)

After reading this entire thread, I have no doubt the boat is worth that much but ouch. Not a lot of boat for the money. That being said if I had the money to spend I'd jump on it. Gorgeous boat and damn so fast.

Apology accepted Murphness. I was really getting serious about the boat and one night the made the decision to see about getting the ball rolling. Overnight, the price jumped- you're right- to 120,000. I am NOT saying the boat isn't worth every penny of it; I suspect it is. I am only bummed that I cannot justify spending that amount at this stage of my life. For those who can, you'd be getting a fine vessel from an outstanding builder.

Well actually $120k is without the sails according to the website.

So add another $15k for a sail wardrobe, and then add an outboard, boat covers, safety gear etc. making it around $135k, and the total price is then about $100k more than you could buy a top of the range almost new Australian performance trailer sailer for... And that is in an Australian market that is one tenth that of the USA market...

A lovely product JIm, and your enthusiasm is commendable, but I dont see you making a basic wage out of it anytime soon without some big labour saving cost changes and a vastly sped up production time. Elliott 6's are now being made in China, and Duncanson yachts in Thailand, for a very good reason.

An eight month production time, for a 26 foot trailable yacht which costs 100k more than comparable boats available on the market, and that is probably only going to end up being used for 3 months of summer, just doesnt add up.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Clearly I'm hanging out with a crowd of poverty stricken 20 somethings. I haven't seen many people in their 20's driving brand new BMWs or Benz around town, or screaming along in a $70k power boat. But what do I know, you probably know more 20 somethings than I do. :rolleyes:

Come to Toronto lol

Come to Toronto lol

Dont know where they get their money but here there are alot between 25-38 that are driveing very expensive cars, the average price for a condo is over $500/sq ft, and they are the largest buyers of luxury goods. Jag,Audi,BMW, Porshe sales are all up double digits. The middle clas is shrinking like the US

Cars are also more expensive here. Sailboats dont get chicks unfortunately lol

Come to Toronto lol

Dont know where they get their money but here there are alot between 25-38 that are driveing very expensive cars, the average price for a condo is over $500/sq ft, and they are the largest buyers of luxury goods. Jag,Audi,BMW, Porshe sales are all up double digits. The middle clas is shrinking like the US

Cars are also more expensive here. Sailboats dont get chicks unfortunately lol

Toronto is more like NYC than anywhere else in Canada. Lots of high incomes along with the luxury goods and expenses that go along with those incomes. Porsches and Ferraris get the chicks, powerboats probably, sailboats less so.

My younger son and his wife make more $$$ than my wife and I ever did. But my job, came with a pension, theirs don't. The $$$ they are putting into their 401K accounts could have gone for a Dart or 4knotsb. When I bought my 4kknotsb the equity in my home more than covered the purchase price. Their condo has lost 1/3 of its market value in the past 4 years.

I know

Fortunately land values in Toronto have tripled in the past 10-12 yrs

My cousin live in North Carolina and I am amazed at the value of the real estate there

Their 5600 sq ft home on a golf course cost the same as my 1100 sq ft loft in To

It will get worse with Romney too

Thank god our banks have stringent rules here lol

Not too many pensioned jobs here either unless you are a teacher of work for the government, or police

I know

Fortunately land values in Toronto have tripled in the past 10-12 yrs

My cousin live in North Carolina and I am amazed at the value of the real estate there

Their 5600 sq ft home on a golf course cost the same as my 1100 sq ft loft in To

It will get worse with Romney too

Thank god our banks have stringent rules here lol

Not too many pensioned jobs here either unless you are a teacher of work for the government, or police

My kid's 1200sq ft condo in Chicago cost 2.5 times as much my 2000 sq ft ranch sitting on 1/2 acre where I can hear Lake Michigan from the farthest corner of my house.

• 2 weeks later...

Evnin' everyone, I had a little something to bring closure to some of the comments and questions on this thread..

Remember these..

559129_10150965507421290_1866963686_n.jpg

There was a lot of concern about bringing a 30 Amp feed into a 15Amp system etc. I figured, "You know, they are probably right". But being busy with Mark's Dart, the AC inlet project was put aside 'till the boat shipped. Well it shipped, it raced, dominated and.. Meanwhile back in he lab, we came up with this as version II of the AC Deck plate..

535402_10151094899936290_400109286_n.jpg

The top's the same sealed 30A inlet adapter. But the bottom..

248849_10151094900011290_675315770_n.jpg

Sports a 15A Breaker along with a ground fault plug. And yes, it all screws into a standard Beckson 6" deck plate ring.

There's more info and specs on the LC website

What do you think, better?

-jim lee

Saw your facebook post.. does that "all up" include that trailer and all the goodies that made their way into this thread?

Archived