Starting another Dart..

jim lee

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the sale! I think you should start a new thread for the new build when it begins.

BTW, do you have a solution for head privacy? I mean it is no problem when sailing and only one person goes below, but at night with the family...

Best,

jason

Thanks everyone.

Hitchhiker : Its a single pole. We just couldn't fit a dual in there and believe me we tried. But really, a single will do a fine job.

As for a head while camping. That's a really tough nut to crack. The one idea I had was to use the cockpit with a boom tent. We've set up Darts with boom tents before and they work really well. With the sail stowed under a cover on the boom you get nearly 6' headroom. If anyone has ideas, we're reading.

As for the buyer of #4. As before, I'll let him decide when to unveil himself. I will let it slip that I have seen him post on this thread in the past..

I'm thinking I might start a build blog on my own site for the build. It works well for keeping the buyers informed on progress. I didn't want to bother everyone with a second build thread.

There's one more Dart available.. Tell your Dart desiring friends to hurry.

66502_10151085922721290_911910111_n.jpg

First part for Darts 4 & 5 out of the mold and ready to trim up.. That's Gavin (Neighbor kid, needed holiday job) holding it.

-jim lee

Thanks everyone.

Hitchhiker : Its a single pole. We just couldn't fit a dual in there and believe me we tried. But really, a single will do a fine job.

As for a head while camping. That's a really tough nut to crack. The one idea I had was to use the cockpit with a boom tent. We've set up Darts with boom tents before and they work really well. With the sail stowed under a cover on the boom you get nearly 6' headroom. If anyone has ideas, we're reading.

As for the buyer of #4. As before, I'll let him decide when to unveil himself. I will let it slip that I have seen him post on this thread in the past..

I'm thinking I might start a build blog on my own site for the build. It works well for keeping the buyers informed on progress. I didn't want to bother everyone with a second build thread.

There's one more Dart available.. Tell your Dart desiring friends to hurry.

66502_10151085922721290_911910111_n.jpg

First part for Darts 4 & 5 out of the mold and ready to trim up.. That's Gavin (Neighbor kid, needed holiday job) holding it.

-jim lee

You're not bothering anybody... Post away!!

Thanks everyone.

Jim,

It will be fine.............most of the time, however in order to meet A.B.Y.C recommended practices the breaker needs to be dual pole.

E-8.11.9.2 Simultaneous trip circuit breakers shall be provided in power feeder conductors as follows:

E-8.11.9.2.1 120 volt AC single phase - Ungrounded and grounded conductors (white).

Part of the reasoning behind this is if a shore cord is incorrectly wired so that the hot and neutral wires are reversed,

the "new" hot line now has no overcurrent protection because the branch circuit

wiring is only protected by a 30 or 50 ampere main circuit breaker. Worse, turning

off the branch circuit breaker leaves the circuit hot. The circuit breaker does turn

the load on and off, so all seems normal.

This leads to several possible hazards:

• The branch circuit wires are only protected by the larger main circuit breaker in

the event of a failure of the white wire to ground.

• Anyone working on the wiring and turning off the branch circuit breaker will still

be in contact with a live wire if the main breaker isn't off. This can be a serious

shock hazard.

I can't count how many different marinas I have been in that have poorly installed or poorly maintained shore power feeders.

IMHO it just isn't worth the risk.

Doug Johnstone.

Glad to hear you're not stopping at five.

As for the double pole breaker, I have to agree with Hitchhiker. At Royal Vic my dad and I put his Cat 380 on the hard. We asked if there was shore power available and the foreshore lad said yes so we plugged in. Turns out the 220V power washer socket was no good so they wired up a new one, using a common marine 110V 30A plug and socket. Luckily the GFCIs tripped quickly. Not before frying the DVD player and Belkin surge protector though. They replaced them and apologized and later put a up a sign to warn others. The lad we asked was new. When I asked them why they would do such a thing when they could have spent less than $20 to fix the problem properly, they said the dock power situation was worse. Yikes.

At least we learned his CB panel has a polarity warning to avoid this kind of thing. LOL

Congrats! Local buyer?

Not even close, though we did live in the Seattle/Everett area once upon a time. Dart #4 is coming to Honolulu, HI, as soon as its built, anyway. The contract and downpayment was put in the mail today. Now... what to do with the Sydney 36....? I know, I know, "Buy an Ad."

The Dart fits the bill exactly for the next step in our sailing/racing life. I wanted something Mrs. Fins and I can handle for a day sail or together on a Friday night beer can race without a kite. I also wanted something with a bit of horsepower and an asymmetrical if we pick up one or two others to go with us. Simple, clean, well built, and fun- that's kind of the Dart thing, isn't it?

In the end, what convinced me was you guys. I know nothing about boat building, but y'all are quite persuasive that Jim is doing it right, rather than doing it right now. Jim, I must say, is a standup guy, too. He contacted me about his Christmas sale, knowing that I was interested. A long distance phone-call "handshake" was all it took to hold #4 until the full down could be arranged. Thanks, Jim. We look forward to more pictures of the next build.

HawaiiFins

Archived