3 hours ago, mikkom said:

Don't know how much there is first hand experience with 27SE or new 27. And I can't either claim experience with these two models, but I do own 18.

So, claiming these boats don't go well upwind is maybe slight misconception. They actually do go quite well for their length and point really well. Challenge is that in order to get full potential out one needs to unlearn ways of sailing more traditional boats. For example mainsail trim and also jib trim.

As said, I can only speak from my experience with 18 and I am still learning to sail to my local rating (northern Europe). But I do think it can compete with that rating with more traditional really well sailed boats. Surprisingly I think in low range/drifters I might actually be closest to being competitive.

Kristian naturally is much better placed to comment about performance to various ratings.

And finally those windier downwinds really are so much fun that, I really don't care too much about placements :)

I had an awesome time sailing a 24, it was the middle of December and freezing cold, the boat was super stable and we just sat at 10kts in around 12kts of wind on a tight reach under main, jib and spinnaker. The boat never lacked power but beating home against the tide up a river we found it a challenge to limit leeway and found we had a bit of lee helm too. Apart from an anchor and the engine, which was stowed along side the keel box, the boat was completely empty but felt like it could have done with some more weight further forwards, I was already at the front of the cockpit and the helm had slid forwards but it felt like it was skidding on top of the water. I agree with you that you need to trim completely differently! For a boat that is the same size as a J70 they are worlds apart

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went sailing with Svein for the initial ride on his new toy last weekend. Thanks, Svein! A very helpful gentleman! We had 6-10kts and flat water for the first cruise with just the main and jib. T

No one minds a bit of promotion, particularly when someone is paying for it.  But threads like this (there are others) go over the top with the circle jerk gratuitous ads. Been here a few time si

Don't worry,  we'll get by without ya. To be fair though,  SeaScapers - anybody have some fleet standings from anywhere in the US for this summer ?  It'd sure be interesting to see how you're sta

Posted Images

5 hours ago, mikkom said:

Don't know how much there is first hand experience with 27SE or new 27. And I can't either claim experience with these two models, but I do own 18.

So, claiming these boats don't go well upwind is maybe slight misconception. They actually do go quite well for their length and point really well. Challenge is that in order to get full potential out one needs to unlearn ways of sailing more traditional boats. For example mainsail trim and also jib trim.

As said, I can only speak from my experience with 18 and I am still learning to sail to my local rating (northern Europe). But I do think it can compete with that rating with more traditional really well sailed boats. Surprisingly I think in low range/drifters I might actually be closest to being competitive.

Kristian naturally is much better placed to comment about performance to various ratings.

And finally those windier downwinds really are so much fun that, I really don't care too much about placements :)

Hi Mikkom.

Any insights on mainsail and jib trim would be greatly appreciated.! (and anyone else who would like to jump in...)

Hi,

Like indicated, I am not any expert and have been just reading how similar type boats/sailplanes are trimmed from various sources. And then done some testing on water.

Twist is important and you really need to get speed first and then pointing. I have found that one really shouldn't close leech on main or jib. Both should have twist in all conditions as per my experience and have telltales streaming all the time at top part of sail. I find that jib sheet is never fully sheeted in (block to block).

And waves naturally make it a bit more challenging and even more important to have twist and playing sheets actively.

And leeway should be avoided (many point high, but have also large leeway). This becomes even more pronounced boat is heeling too much (again better have sheet a bit loose). Could excessive heel and leeway have been problem with 24 @JL92S ?

45 minutes ago, mikkom said:

Hi,

Like indicated, I am not any expert and have been just reading how similar type boats/sailplanes are trimmed from various sources. And then done some testing on water.

Twist is important and you really need to get speed first and then pointing. I have found that one really shouldn't close leech on main or jib. Both should have twist in all conditions as per my experience and have telltales streaming all the time at top part of sail. I find that jib sheet is never fully sheeted in (block to block).

And waves naturally make it a bit more challenging and even more important to have twist and playing sheets actively.

And leeway should be avoided (many point high, but have also large leeway). This becomes even more pronounced boat is heeling too much (again better have sheet a bit loose). Could excessive heel and leeway have been problem with 24 @JL92S ?

I wouldn’t say it heeled much at all and in the river was maybe 8-10kts of wind. I was sort of going from other boats I’ve sailed up the same river, mainly J70s and J80s, both heavier boats. It feel like the S24 gives away some upwind performance to a J70 but made up for it reaching and downwind and the fact it has a useable interior. Very pricey though, I’m not sure what a 27 comes out at either. I remember reading on the 24 thread something about foils being fitted to a seascape, the conclusion was the 24 didn’t have the internal structure to support it but the 27 did, now there lies an interesting subject! 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So my First 27 with aluminium rig and diesel has finally arrived. First impressions are good. i think it looks better in the flesh than in pictures. To me the new coachroof windows are a definite improvement to the style on the First 27SE (Original Seasccape 27). and the interior is very light.  But I don't like what appear to be lower lifelines than on the First 27 SE. That seems illogical for a boat that is being promoted for its safety.

Unfortunately now we have a delay as the commissioning team have been unable to step the mast. It seems the shrouds are not correct. If so I suppose we will have to wait for new ones from Europe.  Why is buying a new sailboat  often a much less satisfying experience than  is romanticised by the industry?

On 4/18/2021 at 8:43 PM, Qingdaosog said:

So my First 27 with aluminium rig and diesel has finally arrived. First impressions are good. i think it looks better in the flesh than in pictures. To me the new coachroof windows are a definite improvement to the style on the First 27SE (Original Seasccape 27). and the interior is very light.  But I don't like what appear to be lower lifelines than on the First 27 SE. That seems illogical for a boat that is being promoted for its safety.

Unfortunately now we have a delay as the commissioning team have been unable to step the mast. It seems the shrouds are not correct. If so I suppose we will have to wait for new ones from Europe.  Why is buying a new sailboat  often a much less satisfying experience than  is romanticised by the industry?

Are the padded locker seats bolted in place or otherwise removable on the First 27?

You mean the internal lockers under the seats or the cockpit locker/seats? Both are an integral part of the structure. Neither can be removed 

15 minutes ago, Qingdaosog said:

You mean the internal lockers under the seats or the cockpit locker/seats? Both are an integral part of the structure. Neither can be removed 

The cockpit locker/seats (circled in red). It’s probably good they are glassed in, but it would be nice if you could bolt them onto the SE when in cruise mode.

Either way, both boats seem like a lot of fun.

AC4B8234-D839-4847-95BA-3B616245B815.jpeg

Looks like Beneteau is building a configuration tool. If you set the language to "English - EN" in the upper right corner, you can build First SEs and outboard motorboats. If you pick "English (America) - US" then you only get the motorboats. But if you start with English - EN and after selecting the First 27SE you select English (America) - US, you get the US options and prices.

The main difference is that the UK config lets you pick the Performance Configuration ("Ideal for Regattas") for €96,738 (Just under USD120k). I selected everything and came out a bit higher on the US side, but it's possible that things like transportation bags and covers aren't included in the Performance Config, or a la carte selection is just more expensive.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/24/2021 at 11:52 AM, Qingdaosog said:

Hope to finally get mine in the water this week before the May holiday here. Fingers crossed....

Well here we are a month later and still not commissioned. Lots of issues. Seems the boatyard rushed this one out. Always a problem being one of the first but this has been a bit ridiculous.  In no particular order here are the issues up to now. .At least the rig is up now. 

Rig wouldn't fit. (Shrouds measured  wrongly )  Forward and reverse  control coupled wrong way round. Fuel system connected incorrectly  Copious  leaking of propshaft seal. Forgot to fit the zincs..  Toilet broken. Fresh water system not functioning correctly. Waste pipe kinked and had to replaced. Unable to calibrate precision compass probably as its been attached to the aft of the diesel engine bulkhead. .  Saloon Table would not fit. . No specific  details on rigging tensions apart from V1. Seninel alarm will not find the network. Probably because its been placed under a wiring loom 

I am still convinced this is going to be a great boat but what a textbook  example of self destruction by Seascape/ Beneteau.  ..  Can we blame Covid?  Maybe... It certainly hasn't helped.  I hope they can redeem themselves soon. . This was supposed to be a luxury leisure item,

not a source of great stress. 

Just now, Qingdaosog said:

Well here we are a month later and still not commissioned. Lots of issues. Seems the boatyard rushed this one out. Always a problem being one of the first but this has been a bit ridiculous.  In no particular order here are the issues up to now. .At least the rig is up now. 

Rig wouldn't fit. (Shrouds measured  wrongly )  Forward and reverse  control coupled wrong way round. Fuel system connected incorrectly  Copious  leaking of propshaft seal. Forgot to fit the zincs..  Toilet broken. Fresh water system not functioning correctly. Waste pipe kinked and had to replaced. Unable to calibrate precision compass probably as its been attached to the aft of the diesel engine bulkhead. .  Saloon Table would not fit. . No specific  details on rigging tensions apart from V1. Seninel alarm will not find the network. Probably because its been placed under a wiring loom 

I am still convinced this is going to be a great boat but what a textbook  example of self destruction by Seascape/ Beneteau.  ..  Can we blame Covid?  Maybe... It certainly hasn't helped.  I hope they can redeem themselves soon. . This was supposed to be a luxury leisure item,

not a source of great stress. 

I would love to hear of anyone's  experiences on receiving the new First 27. Have I just been unlucky . Any insights to solving the issues?

Very strange to hear about your case, I used to work for the UK Beneteau agent and a couple of years ago we had an 18 and 24 in stock. The 24 arrived in near perfect condition with everything functioning well and on sea trial the boat was a dream (made me yearn to own one) which is why it surprises me about your 27 although my experience was a pre covid one. I know the supply chains have been messed up a lot recently so I’d hope they haven’t used faulty items to complete a boat. I hope it all sorts itself out

I'm wondering if anyone can share experiences with the First 27 (non SE, though I suspect it is similar) in winds like the San Francisco Bay area?  I'm curious about the need to reef, amount of heel, and how wet it gets. 

I'm wondering if the boat is tame enough for my wife to enjoy and host 2 people (4 total on the boat) for daysailing. 

Thank you for any input!