• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Qingdaosog, I bought one of the early First 20, via a UK broker, to be shipped out to Korea. I assumed a 20th anniversary edition of the 21 would be fairly well sorted out but the new mainsail fo

Went sailing with Svein for the initial ride on his new toy last weekend. Thanks, Svein! A very helpful gentleman! We had 6-10kts and flat water for the first cruise with just the main and jib. T

No one minds a bit of promotion, particularly when someone is paying for it.  But threads like this (there are others) go over the top with the circle jerk gratuitous ads. Been here a few time si

Posted Images

SeaCan is now in Riviera Beach awaiting crew to sail to Miami. At Miami Strictly Sail 13-17 feb (in the water). So come by and see us. After that we plan to trailer to Savannah/Hilton Head/Charleston, but no firm plans yet. If you live in those areas and like to see the boat drop me a pm. Trip then continues towards NY by road.

Ps - the factory trailer performs really well and I can attest to its good brakes! I can comfortably travel up to 70mph with one hand on the steering wheel (I tried it) and buffeting from passing cars/trucks etc are a non-issue. After a while I almost forget its attached to my car.

Maybe, I've overlooked it yet my search for the Seascape 27 LWL & rig dimensions (I,J,P & E) have come up blank. Is the info available?

There are a few club certs in the ORC-database with rig dimensions (example in the pdf) LWL pretty much equals LOA (8.0m)

40488.pdf

Thanks much Pelle!

Maybe, I've overlooked it yet my search for the Seascape 27 LWL & rig dimensions (I,J,P & E) have come up blank. Is the info available?

There are a few club certs in the ORC-database with rig dimensions (example in the pdf) LWL pretty much equals LOA (8.0m)

attachicon.gif40488.pdf

It wouldnt be the first boat that is a bit overweight in real life is it?. I`'d guess the figure in the spec is a very clean hull without any of the interior and equipment options and possibly also without the rig. In my book a realistic sailing displacemet (without crew) is probably 1500-1600 kg depending on the level you fit out the boat to.

I notice a 600+ lb delta in displacement between the IRC Cert & the latest SC27 spec's! Any explanations?

IRC displacement is not actual, it's th result of a formula afai understand it

its tonnes different on a maxi

So what am I missing? I saw the seascape at the Salon Nautic in Paris... meh - I found nothing impressive

If it had made it to CAT 2 capability, then it would be a fast, nice offshore boat. Since it only gets to CAT 3, it has nothing over a huge range of trailer boats in Australia and NZ

ranti

regular TYs don't get anywhere near cat3,

trailable events ? the highest is cat5n ( marlay, HCW),

daytime like airlie etc cat5

The Qld Ft-10 had a battle getting to cat3 ( ? for B2G? or mackay race) because it needed permanently fitted motor/fuel delivery

If the SSC can get to cat3 it does have it over anything comparable here,

I see no trailables here racing cat3 events (that FT being the exception)

ranti

The Qld Ft-10 had a battle getting to cat3 ( ? for B2G? or mackay race) because it needed permanently fitted motor/fuel delivery

Whats the data on the Antrim 27? Pretty sure that has been a CAT3 raced boat many times. Oh and its a "trailable" also

ranti

We had our Beale 850 up at CAT 3+ for a few years, we took it in a bunch of Mackay races. Cat 3 only requires that the outboard is permanently mounted and tilted, not removed while racing, I.E. an outboard in a well. No mention of permanent fuel tank until CAT 2, which would have been where the FT was trying to get for B2G, they have never done Mackay. CAT 2 also requires inboard engine, which we were told fairly plainly would not include a well mounted outboard.

Below is a piece from their web site. thinkseascape.com

Offshore racing in a one design class

Based on the exciting and extremly effiecent boats of a Class Mini, Seascape27 has offshore racing DNA embeded in her cells. Insubmersibility, B category certificate and ergonomics that make Offshore racing fun and manageble even for recreational sailors. Being the only offshore capable One design that can be trailed on the road without extra permits, she allows the owner to join exciting historical races from Norway to the Adriatic. Her crew can consist from singlehanders to five crew members.

Well guys some quick explanations - ORC certificate is not based on actual weighing the boat but uses specified loaded weight with all sort of stuff included… If you put all sorts of stuff on the boat - 10hp engine, electricity, fixed toilette, 8 sails… you can easily end up to 1500 or even more kilos. There are some boats though that race on lakes in light configuration without push and pullpit, low lifelines (sport boat fashion) and no cushions which get to specified weight.

Ad Cat2: unfortunately you can't do it for everything. Even so we stretched her to the limit of what we consider still makes sense. We are happy that we now know first hand that she works in all we promised: as round the cans fully crewed lake boat as well as shorthaned offshore (Cat3+) race boat with some cruising features like functional classical toilette, swing keel and mast without runners. Going for Cat2 would require heavier scantlings for no reason which would make her less fun in 95% of the actual roles she will be used in. Engine is easy - we already have some of them with Saildrive 330 that fits nicely in the place under the cockpit.

It is not just the scantligs but also the stability requirements. As the Seascape has a series date newer then 2010 assesment according to ISO 12217-2 (stability) and 12215 (constructions and scantlings) is ,as far as I understand things, compulsory. I'm not familiar with details of the ISO norms but for cat 2 races you need to be classed A(ocean) and the smallest boat I know of with an A-class is the Pogo 8.5 which weighs some 2800 kg on 8.5 length but I heard something on the lines that it got the A-class only due to beeing unsinkable (foam floatation tanks as the seascape also has). In reality I think that it is impossible for a 8 m long performance boat to be class A and thus cat 2 compliant.

Ssc27 is just 0.5m shorter and it weighs less than half of Pogo 8.5 and it has cat B because of insumersibility foam built in.

When Ssc27 is taken out of the water it seems like a big flat iron and greedy people will always find new ways how to make boats look pricey.

Insu(b)mersibility?

Big flat iron?

Greedy people and pricey-looking boats?

ESL perhaps?

I am close to the Dart and should see her quite a bit. I am expecting it will be a bit slower, at least rating wise, but we will see soon enough.

I would assume the same on ratings. Smaller, one rudder etc. But, both designed and developed for easy trailering and family camping racing.

I think there's a thread with the rating they are sailing under here somewhere.

It is a friends boat, I am merely crew. Haven't seen it IRL yet since it will be on display on the Stockholm Boat Show. Will take a close look this weekend and then trailer it to Malmö after the show.

I think it will be fast enough no matter the colour. Maybe even faster than the crew. ;)

One advantage to duel rudders is that they are shorter and can stay on vs need to be removed when you trailer, just one less thing to set up when you arrive at the boat ramp. I'm also really not a fan of outboard stern hung rudders having lived with one for many years the stern hung gear is just not as durable and sturdy as the standard inboard proper rudder tube and bearing set up with rudder shafts.

• Like 1

It all depends how the hinges and rudders are built. Pogos2 for instance have them and they normally sailed about 10000 miles in a Transat year without any problem. They even had that funny hydraulic ram configuration which was attached on the rudder trough the rudder chainplate.

And just a note regarding Left coast Dart - even though boats are close in the length we are talking about two completely different concepts - Dart is an inshore VMG boat that needs some crew weight for fresh wind (according to data) SSC is a VMG/VMC hybrid that is designed around shorthanded crew weight. Sure it doesn't hurt to have some rail meat in fresh upwind but 600kg keel and chines do lots of work for you.

It all depends how the hinges and rudders are built. Pogos2 for instance have them and they normally sailed about 10000 miles in a Transat year without any problem. They even had that funny hydraulic ram configuration which was attached on the rudder trough the rudder chainplate.

And just a note regarding Left coast Dart - even though boats are close in the length we are talking about two completely different concepts - Dart is an inshore VMG boat that needs some crew weight for fresh wind (according to data) SSC is a VMG/VMC hybrid that is designed around shorthanded crew weight. Sure it doesn't hurt to have some rail meat in fresh upwind but 600kg keel and chines do lots of work for you.

RE: Left coast Dart and The SSC 27 how do costs compare delivered to the US west coast?

DART has trailer, outboard and everything needed to sail, except sails.

What is the Cost of the SSC 27 Delivered by container to the most cost effective West Coast Port?

I have been toying with the idea of bringing a SSC27 to California and just did my own quick math based on the price lists available for the two boats.

When comparing the specification of the two boats the Seascape 27 looks like quite the bargain. All IMHO of course. :)

I have been toying with the idea of bringing a SSC27 to California and just did my own quick math based on the price lists available for the two boats.

When comparing the specification of the two boats the Seascape 27 looks like quite the bargain. All IMHO of course. :)

Ill send you a PM, but yes the 27 is a pretty good deal. Both boats are well made with good fit and finish. But, Andraz mentioned they are different boats in regards to what you can do with them and the crew needed in fresh breeze. You are getting a lot of boat with the 27.

Ill send you a PM, but yes the 27 is a pretty good deal. Both boats are well made with good fit and finish. But, Andraz mentioned they are different boats in regards to what you can do with them and the crew needed in fresh breeze. You are getting a lot of boat with the 27.

Yes, comparing the prices is interesting. And the word interesting can be used in a very wide variety. ;)

Can you or anyone put the interesting comparison of prices in a format that is easily understood?

How much does the SSC 27 cost in dollars delivered to the West Coast USA ready for the consumer to take home and play with?

:blink:

The same info for the SSC 18 would be "interesting as well..... :mellow:

I came very, very close to ordering the SC27, and Andraz was very helpful. I think it is a modern update of the venerable Moore 24/Express 27/SC27's that would be a great shorthanded boat for San Francisco and ocean racing. However, I decided to not take my Moore 24 to Hawaii this year, and purchased an Andrews 28 for that task. Similar concept, but a little more creature comfort in the Andrews. I would urge anyone considering a boat fitting the design goals of the SC27 to give it a very close look. Price is very competitive for the quality and features and the team creating it and supporting it very helpful.

I don't have any US price list or shipping prices. I used guesstimation for that. :)

And?

What were your conclusions?

:ph34r:

That SSC27 is twice the boat for a third more of the money.

I am sure that the Dart is exactly what it was designed to be and does that well. But the simple fact that the keel is fixed as long as the boat is in water makes it uninteresting to me.

Thanks, I think...

So somewhere near $115000 plus or so.

The keel down in the water issue is lees of an issue here in SF. I understand you can launch the Dart with the keel up then lower it in the water, so the only difference seems to be the intrusion into the cabin and the inability to sail with it partway down.

I like the fact that you can crank the keel up on the SSC boats and not have it interfere with the livability of the cabin.

I always assumed that the foil shape used on the SSC boats was less efficient than those on the Dart and other boats with vertically retracting foils. (Andrews 28)

Is this not true?

Can't possibly afford the SSC 27 at that price. I really didn't expect it to be the same less than the Dart, just a hopeful fantasy.

What about the SSC 18?

:)

I came very, very close to ordering the SC27, and Andraz was very helpful. I think it is a modern update of the venerable Moore 24/Express 27/SC27's that would be a great shorthanded boat for San Francisco and ocean racing. However, I decided to not take my Moore 24 to Hawaii this year, and purchased an Andrews 28 for that task. Similar concept, but a little more creature comfort in the Andrews. I would urge anyone considering a boat fitting the design goals of the SC27 to give it a very close look. Price is very competitive for the quality and features and the team creating it and supporting it very helpful.

I agree about the SSC 27. Pretty attractive hotrod with comfortable camping accommodations.

I've been lusting after the Andrews 28 as well. More comfortable than either the Dart or SSC 27 and a more affordable price.

Unfortunately you bought the only one available for now and into the foreseeable future. Damn.

I understand from one of your posts elsewhere on the forum you will be sailing the boat on the SF Bay. I'd love to have a chance to see your boat when it gets here and talk to you about how your going to set it up for Hawaii. I'm Making the assumption that you will be doing the Pac Cup double handed or the Single Handed race.

PM me if you wouldn't mind doing as show and tell.

Also curious about the mast. Was there a repair or other issue?

FS

Thanks, I think...

So somewhere near $115000 plus or so.

The keel down in the water issue is lees of an issue here in SF. I understand you can launch the Dart with the keel up then lower it in the water, so the only difference seems to be the intrusion into the cabin and the inability to sail with it partway down.

I like the fact that you can crank the keel up on the SSC boats and not have it interfere with the livability of the cabin.

I always assumed that the foil shape used on the SSC boats was less efficient than those on the Dart and other boats with vertically retracting foils. (Andrews 28)

Is this not true?

Can't possibly afford the SSC 27 at that price. I really didn't expect it to be the same less than the Dart, just a hopeful fantasy.

What about the SSC 18?

:)

I think your math is as good of a guesstimation as mine. If one would remove a lot of options the price would crawl closer to the Dart.

When it comes to rig and sail plan it is two very different boats.

Well the keel profile is in fact more efficient in terms of lift/drag since it doesn't have a bulb. On the other hand it is less efficient in keeping the COG low. In a nutshell 2m deep SSC27 keel is better than 1.6m bulb keel but not as good as 2m deep keel.

Pricewise it has a lot to do with options. Here in Europe recommended end price for the boat is currently 54000EUR+VAT (about 74500USD). That is for a naked boat. It might go up a little bit in the future.

Then add sails, engine (I would recommend 6hp), electric and electronic + transport and import taxes. So you get pretty good impression on the price.

Seascape 27 hull number 27 is now safely parked in home marina after driven just under 2700 km on the awesome factory (produced by LOK) trailer.

Everything regarded to the transaction, pre-purchase support, delivery and general communication has gone very smoothly.

For those of you looking forward to going through the process of ordering and taking delivery of your SSC27 I figured some pictures would be interesting. Also interesting for me to get your feedback and questions - many things new for me to take in and learn.

This boat was ordered with a very high specification with add-ons to the option list (some not yet installed). It will be in the water within a week and hopefully with sails within 2-3 weeks.

This boat being the first SSC27 in Sweden there is an agreement with the Swedish Seascape dealer to work with it as a demo boat, hence why it was at the boat show. If I understood things correctly there will be more orders coming in based on this one week show. It was very well received and the interest was genuinly good throughout.

1800151_10152136507871773_391355473_o.jp

1974186_10152136508336773_131816991_o.jp

Congratulations Anders. Kjempefin baat! We've had only positive feedback from all who have seen the boat in Florida. One female gas station attendant even said "good job my husband is not here to see it as I would probably be dumped". Vermont Sailing Partners now fine tuning the sails for the race so I'm very appreciative for their support. Based on this and past experiences with buying sails - the most important is to use a sailmaker who you can actually work with not only in buying the sails, but also providing after sales support. More often than not that means a smaller local loft rather than one of the large ones that spends mega $$$ on advertizing. Ps - I have no financial interests in the company - just a happy customer.

Below a little teaser from Miami. I'll try to post more on facebook.

Next on the agenda is Charleston Race Week April 10-13. Team and boat is already in place so see you there!!

Can17 - SeaCan

post-74169-0-00854700-1394516901_thumb.jpg

Congratulations Anders. Kjempefin baat! We've had only positive feedback from all who have seen the boat in Florida. One female gas station attendant even said "good job my husband is not here to see it as I would probably be dumped". Vermont Sailing Partners now fine tuning the sails for the race so I'm very appreciative for their support. Based on this and past experiences with buying sails - the most important is to use a sailmaker who you can actually work with not only in buying the sails, but also providing after sales support. More often than not that means a smaller local loft rather than one of the large ones that spends mega $$$ on advertizing. Ps - I have no financial interests in the company - just a happy customer.

Next on the agenda is Charleston Race Week April 10-13. Team and boat is already in place so see you there!!

Can17 - SeaCan

Sounds great, looks like sail order will be placed very soon, will get back once ink is on the paper. But what you mention about local loft i can vouch for from previous experience.

What is your experience when it comes to racing the SSC27 compared to past boats?

Our PHRF ratings to date are:

Lake Champlain 96

Key West 90/93 with crew weight penalty 93/96 without.

The great advantage of the SSC27 over many other older (and heavier) boats is that it is easily trailered to other locations with an SUV or small truck (5000lb+ towing capacity recommended). I can't yet speak for the racing ability of the boat, but first impressions are very positive. Hopefully we will have some good results from Charleston to build on a month from now.

Lake Champlain 96

The great advantage of the SSC27 over many other older (and heavier) boats is that it is easily trailered to other locations with an SUV or small truck (5000lb+ towing capacity recommended). I can't yet speak for the racing ability of the boat, but first impressions are very positive. Hopefully we will have some good results from Charleston to build on a month from now.

WOW - sounds like a gift rating...........................................unless the boat is actually that slow :(

Lake Champlain 96

WOW - sounds like a gift rating...........................................unless the boat is actually that slow :(

Well, its 9 seconds (Key west) adrift of the hot-rod Antrim 27 in OD config. Re the number generally, at 26.25 feet LOA it can only be so fast upwind where it gets half its rating, and that wide ass ain't helping. But I'd take one over the A27 any day.

Love this boat! I want one... Hadn't seen that video before. Thanks, GS.

Rating: It's a 27' boat. It's gonna go upwind like a 27' boat...

http://youtu.be/2T1CtuhMaks

quite cool & hi tech

Christian it's a crossover boat & multi purpose, not a viper nor 30' ! I expect the rating could go either way, up in a light district

I am aware of that - but 30 secs/mile slower???

where? when ?

post the link(s)

a rating of 96 vs a rating of 66 is a 30 sec/mile difference. I have a hard time believing that large a difference hance why I commented that it looked like a gift rating for the SS27

I am aware of that - but 30 secs/mile slower???

where? when ?

post the link(s)

a rating of 96 vs a rating of 66 is a 30 sec/mile difference. I have a hard time believing that large a difference hance why I commented that it looked like a gift rating for the SS27

I think I see where you are coming from; if the SCC27 indeed rates 620-ish GPH in ORC, that converts (typically) to about 75 PHRF. In the 90s PHRF would be a gift.

Someone earlier posted that GPH is run in one direction; that's not true. ORC GPH is a theoretical 360 degree course sailed in 8 and 10 knots winds then averaged.

The funny thing is PHRF is observed performance system. With no 'observations', they normally look at overseas ratings if they exist, and then go slightly harder on the boat, figuring it is easier to give back time than take. Should be interesting to see how this pans out.

Can17 - SeaCan

Looks like Bill - one of the owners of VT Sailing Partners is driving the boat in that picture... Is Bill racing with you in Charleston?

Can17 - SeaCan

Looks like Bill - one of the owners of VT Sailing Partners is driving the boat in that picture... Is Bill racing with you in Charleston?

No - not this time, but he is busy finetuning the sails.

no being familiar with GPH ORC relative terms, so its 620-ish

is there a list ? link?

whats a m24 or GP26 number ??

(longzte or j/80?)

The GPH number is in s/mile. You can access every ORC cert issued since 2009 via ORC sailor services on www.orc.org. It's free but you must register. Anyway a Melges in OD-config is 635, a Longtze is 608 and J/80 is about 670. The GP 26's are all over the place but a good one would be about 600. A (very) rough convertor to an IRC-number is IRC=640/GPH. In my experience the Melges and J/80 is competetive in mixed keelboat fleet racing in sub 8kn and over 15kn of wind but suffers in medium air.

is there a list ? link?

(longzte or j/80?)

The GPH number is in s/mile. You can access every ORC cert issued since 2009 via ORC sailor services on www.orc.org. It's free but you must register. Anyway a Melges in OD-config is 635, a Longtze is 608 and J/80 is about 670. The GP 26's are all over the place but a good one would be about 600. A (very) rough convertor to an IRC-number is IRC=640/GPH. In my experience the Melges and J/80 is competetive in mixed keelboat fleet racing in sub 8kn and over 15kn of wind but suffers in medium air.

Norwegian SSC27 SeaYou is rated 622.1. You find info on them on their facebook page and also on facebook.com/thinkseascape.

is there a list ? link?

(longzte or j/80?)

A slightly better one might be PHRF=(GPH*0.95)-520

Maybe not better all the time, but it happens to convert typical GPH numbers for the First 36.7 and First 260 into our exact Lake Michigan PHRF numbers.

We put Hull #27 in the wet today and baptized her to the name of "My" meaning:

"My is a female name. My is also the twelfth letter of the Greek alphabet. In fairy tales about Moomin, there is a character named Little My.

Also Vietnamese name, "splendid, beautiful, unique"
My means one millionth, or possibly, one in a million."
1939632_10152169322971773_978090352_o.jp
1966735_10152169323121773_2086623048_n.j

OK, great shots and have fun with her.

Here's my question for you swing keel gurus (swing keels are relatively rare here in the USA): once under sail, is there ever a reason to adust the keel up and down, for "sailing reasons," i.e., for a purpose other than getting into a shallow draft anchorage or the like?

The reason I ask is that the forward/upper end of the appendage appears without bottom paint and has hardware on it that doesn't appear designed to be "exposed" under sail. Plus, moving all that weight all that far aft looks like it would severely change the balance of the boat.

I noticed that the Archambault 27 can be had with a similar set up, and so wondered if these get sailed 100% of the time "fully down and locked." Thanks

Here's my question for you swing keel gurus (swing keels are relatively rare here in the USA): once under sail, is there ever a reason to adust the keel up and down, for "sailing reasons," i.e., for a purpose other than getting into a shallow draft anchorage or the like?

The reason I ask is that the forward/upper end of the appendage appears without bottom paint and has hardware on it that doesn't appear designed to be "exposed" under sail. Plus, moving all that weight all that far aft looks like it would severely change the balance of the boat.

I noticed that the Archambault 27 can be had with a similar set up, and so wondered if these get sailed 100% of the time "fully down and locked." Thanks

Under sail the keel needs to be fully down. You can retract it for motoring. CofG does move back when retracted, but it is not too noticable in the water. The upper part of the keel provides the stability when the keel is locked down (against the hull keel box) and contains the pivot mechanism and hydraulic ram connection.

Under sail the keel needs to be fully down. You can retract it for motoring. CofG does move back when retracted, but it is not too noticable in the water. The upper part of the keel provides the stability when the keel is locked down (against the hull keel box) and contains the pivot mechanism and hydraulic ram connection.

Judging from the Pogos, I presume that when keel is all down or up it is blocked from moving laterally by entering into one of the two slots inside the keel box. This is the most important reason why it should be kept all up/down while the boat is moving. Unless there is a draft concern the keel should be down even when motoring, the boat will be faster (shape is hydrodynamically better) and more stable.