• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Qingdaosog, I bought one of the early First 20, via a UK broker, to be shipped out to Korea. I assumed a 20th anniversary edition of the 21 would be fairly well sorted out but the new mainsail fo

Went sailing with Svein for the initial ride on his new toy last weekend. Thanks, Svein! A very helpful gentleman! We had 6-10kts and flat water for the first cruise with just the main and jib. T

No one minds a bit of promotion, particularly when someone is paying for it.  But threads like this (there are others) go over the top with the circle jerk gratuitous ads. Been here a few time si

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Seascape 27 wins another award! In addition to the earlier announced boat of the year award by Sail Magazine, Sailing World have now announced it best crossover boat of 2015. For more information head over to the links below or the magazine print versions.

http://www.sailingworld.com/2015-boat-year-awards?src=SOC&dom=fb

https://www.facebook.com/sailingworld

https://www.facebook.com/sailmag

http://www.sailfeed.com/2014/10/2014-annapolis-test-sails-garcia-exploration-45-seascape-27-2/

http://www.sailmagazine.com/best-boats/best-boats-2015-seascape-27

• 5 weeks later...

Next is Charleston race week. Mac is high probability either Doublehanded or fully crewed. Possibly also some east coast events. With three 27's there may also be some other events.

where is the third one?

Next is Charleston race week. Mac is high probability either Doublehanded or fully crewed. Possibly also some east coast events. With three 27's there may also be some other events.

where is the third one?

New Orleans, Canada and one on the way to Seawanhaka.

Snow day here has me thinking about singlehanded sailing techniques.

Anyone have videos or thoughts on solo setting and dousing of the spin?

Use of furlers on the 27 or just blow the tack?

Have not personally done it so I'll leave others to comment, except to say that for shorthanded sailing cross-sheeting works well on the 27. For video's on the topic you can look at the website of the Norwegian Seascape dealer at www.fjordsail.no. He has a section (right on main page) on shorthanded sailing techniques (on Elan). Text and video commentary is in Norwegian, but you can google the translation. Here is another video from the same sailor with the Seascape 27 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCmbwkwSg4E.

There is also a short video from the 2014 Chi-Mac finish showing cross-sheeting - see

Enjoy!

On SWE27 we have tried to have all sails except main on furlers. We used SpinEx top down furlers

It works, even with gennakers, but there are less things to go wrong without them.

The main issue with gennakers on furlers that we have had is to get tension in the halyard during furling, it takes several rounds for it before the top down furling begins.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152436644101773&l=31a8b8f977

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152436643621773&l=cb36080725

And then there is this situation, that is a bit frustrating, but can happen..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152689839796773&l=e96e506755

I notice most videos of the 27 show the jib not on a roller furler.

Does anyone use furlers for either jib or asymmetrical?

Any reasons to use or not or just preference of the owners?

Mostly owners preference. I only have furler on the Code0 and staysail. My main is on a luff rope, but many use sliders.

The fjordsail.no owner sent me the following updated comments:

See:

On the video you see how it is done with an asymmetric run on a pole. With a normal asymmetric on a bowsprit, the procedure is the same except you do not need to release the guy:

1. Take the lazy genakker sheet around to the leewards side around the stays and over the main boom.
2. Hoist or unfurl jib.
3. Select a course that will give you +/- 160 TWA.
4. Stream the halyard behind the boat (to control the drop).

5. Trip the tackline.
6. Pull fast on the lazy sheet and the genakker will come in behind the main where it will be harmless.
7. Lower the halyard as you pull the sail between boom and mainsail.

This can be done regardless of wind strength singlehanded as long as the autopilot can maintain track.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Sail configurations are pretty basic with addition of Staysail which works also as J3. So upwind normally J1 and staysail (Svein has J2 as well) and main with up to 2 or 3 reefs, reaching C0 or FR0 together with staysail, downwind Masthead and fractional gennaker (runners) with staysail in higher TWA and without in lower.

That said, many owners use her as a simple sport boat with main, jib and masthead gennaker. All the rest is mainly for long distance racing or for extra fun when you are single handing.

Nice video series on that site.

What are the various sail plan configurations used on the 27 under various conditions?

Would you ever use the combination of both jib and assym?

Regarding the use of both jib and assym I think it will work under certain reaching conditions, but it is tricky to know when it is to your advantage as it changes with wind conditions. In my limited experience with it we gained at times up to 1KT in combination with a code0. You might also be able to go a few degrees lower. I'll have a new staysail this season so we can hopefully test this out.

Congratulations, that looks great ! Wonder how it stacks up to the J/88 ?

Suppose we will see this summer.

Last Mackinac Seascape (SeaCan, ORR=0.900) took 1st place in double-handed ahead of a J29. There was one J88 (ORR=0.892) in the race and we beat them by about 2 minutes elapsed and they were 13 min ahead corrected due to a more favorable ORR rating - small rating differences have a large impact in such a long race. If we look at the other classes we would have rated as below. PHRF would be different as we are giving up 3ft LOA, but on a plane I expect the Seascape to be stronger. At current euro-$US exchange rates that makes it a pretty compelling proposition if you use that as part of your equation and for in/off-shore racing there are few alternatives in that size.

2014 Mackinanc summary (number of boats in class, elapsed time position, corrected time position) - where would the Seascape have finished (all other classes were fully crewed against 2 on SeaCan):

Ben 36.7 class: 18 boats, 1st elapsed, 7th corrected

Ben 40.7 class: 11 boats, 6th elapsed, 4th corr

Double-Handed: Winner (ahead of a J29)

J105: 20 boats, 2nd elapsed, 3rd corr

J109: 9 boats, 5th elapsed, 3rd corr

J111: 12 boats, 12th elapsed, 1st corr

Sec 05, Cup Div: 20 boats, 3rd elapsed, 1st corr

Sec 06, Trophy Div: 1st elapsed, 3rd corr

Sec 07, Trophy Div: 1st elapsed, 4th corr

Overall: 318 boats, 40th corrected (including multihulls and the Turbo classes)

Charleston Race Week is next and the Supermac (double-handed) is under consideration

Nice video series on that site.

What are the various sail plan configurations used on the 27 under various conditions?

Would you ever use the combination of both jib and assym?

jib and the assym... probably not as the jib luff is relatively close to the kite, but on longer legs, staysail can bring benefits.

Congratulations, that looks great ! Wonder how it stacks up to the J/88 ?Suppose we will see this summer.

The two J/88's killed the Seascape 27 at CRW in 2014 in every race, boat for boat and corrected. None of the boats were probably dialed in yet, but it was no contest then. FWIW

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=968

A fair question, probably more 'software' than hardware though - I think I recall that CAN17 had been unpacked about a half-hour before the regatta.

FWIW, one of the J/88's had never been rigged or launched before Charleston, and the crew had never sailed together. I was there, the Seascape was very slow, conditions were light to moderate.

OTOH, in the 2014 CYC Race to Mackinac though in different divisions, the Seascape 27 edged out the J/88 boat for boat (not on corrected though, which makes no sense to me) - that race was almost entirely off/downwind. I gather the Mac doublehanded crew on the Seascape are world-class sailors (eg, bonafide rock stars). http://www.philsharpracing.com/

Its always hard to judge the performance of any boat when only one example of it raced in a given regatta...Its only when you start to get 5 or 6 that you can begin to accurately judge performance across a range of crews. One boat one crew = too many variables to really quantify much....

A fair question, probably more 'software' than hardware though - I think I recall that CAN17 had been unpacked about a half-hour before the regatta.

FWIW, one of the J/88's had never been rigged or launched before Charleston, and the crew had never sailed together. I was there, the Seascape was very slow, conditions were light to moderate.

OTOH, in the 2014 CYC Race to Mackinac though in different divisions, the Seascape 27 edged out the J/88 boat for boat (not on corrected though, which makes no sense to me) - that race was almost entirely off/downwind. I gather the Mac doublehanded crew on the Seascape are world-class sailors (eg, bonafide rock stars). http://www.philsharpracing.com/

Yes, Phil Sharp, Vendee Globe sailor and Andraz Mihelin, 2 time Mini Transat sailor and Seascape designer/owner

Phil not Vendee skipper yet, hunting sponsors.

Knowing both, I bet they laugh at the rockstar comment, they are not. But Phil is a very good sailor with proven track record, Andraz is just good as far as I can judge it. Remind you, they were on totally unfamiliar sailing ground.

And comparing the designs is a bit futile, as the designs are different, so it attract different sailors.

The only way you will get sensible argument points is if the same crew test both boats.

Knowing both, I bet they laugh at the rockstar comment, they are not. But Phil is a very good sailor with proven track record, Andraz is just good as far as I can judge it. Remind you, they were on totally unfamiliar sailing ground.

And comparing the designs is a bit futile, as the designs are different, so it attract different sailors.

The only way you will get sensible argument points is if the same crew test both boats.

So, the difference in performance was the crew? I would like to hear from them.

Its always hard to judge the performance of any boat when only one example of it raced in a given regatta...Its only when you start to get 5 or 6 that you can begin to accurately judge performance across a range of crews. One boat one crew = too many variables to really quantify much....

Yes, I have spoken to Phil and know Andraz as well. The SSC27 likes to reach and run hard. The Mac race was more off the wind than up and down. The Mac is under ORR rules, measurement based and CRW uses PHRF or performance based. Obviously a very good crew for the Mac, but they did not have a shabby crew for CRW.

With that said, the PHRF rating out of the box was incorrect at 96. That is the same rating in most areas for the M24. Even though the SA/D is comparable, the 27 has a hard time competing at that rating. Particularly going up and down. The 27 has more wetted surface with a stiffer platform and two rudders. The boat acts more like a light displacement hull and needs a true running chute. Atleast up til about 10 knots of breeze. The rating in the GYA, USA 18, is getting close with a 111 rating. More in the range of a J29. But we will see what the new season will bring.

Yes, I have spoken to Phil and know Andraz as well. The SSC27 likes to reach and run hard. The Mac race was more off the wind than up and down. The Mac is under ORR rules, measurement based and CRW uses PHRF or performance based. Obviously a very good crew for the Mac, but they did not have a shabby crew for CRW.

With that said, the PHRF rating out of the box was incorrect at 96. That is the same rating in most areas for the M24. Even though the SA/D is comparable, the 27 has a hard time competing at that rating. Particularly going up and down. The 27 has more wetted surface with a stiffer platform and two rudders. The boat acts more like a light displacement hull and needs a true running chute. Atleast up til about 10 knots of breeze. The rating in the GYA, USA 18, is getting close with a 111 rating. More in the range of a J29. But we will see what the new season will bring.

Jesus - hope a rating of 111 is a true gift and a result of lousy sails/boat sailed by drunks/stellar competition/whatever. If that is truly the speed potential of a well sailed and equipped boat it certainly leaves a lot to be desired as a race boat.

While the PHRF rating of the 27 is still being determined, it is fair to say that up/down races was not the first design criteria, but that it is still a very capable boat for it's size and money (well equipped around $100K at today's favorable exchange rates). For a good read head over to Blue Water Sailing (www.bwsailing.com) or head over to your local magazine shop. Here is a short extract:

BWS THOUGHTS

I was probably smiling during the entire drive back to my hotel from the marina. My premonition of an exhilarating sail had come true and I have to admit, this test was the most fun I’d had on a sailboat in a long time.......

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, a quick reflection on what is what. Chi-Mac is a race for which SSC27 was built for - especially shorthanded, CRW is a race for which Js are built for - especially fully crewed. One is high performance shorthanded daysailer/cruiser, other more of a fully crewed daysailer/cruiser/racer. A bit like comparing fun-board with a race-board in windsurfing.

In 2014 CRW results 27 had sail fitting issues since the package arrived fresh to the race and it was a case of adjusting rig geometry to fit the sails and not other way around. This year it was already a bit better, but as always One design is a key to fun in round the cans and since I see you only need 4 boats for that we could have this in a short time.

For Chi-Mac conditions war far from favourable for us since we had two thirds of the race VMG downwind in light or displacement conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fleet of 8 Seascape27 entered (170nm long doublehanded) Bohus Race in Sweden.

Official web page: http://www.bohusracet.se/

Seascape blog: http://www.bohusrace27.com/

A great race by all the Seascapes who did well. After 170NM only some 30 seconds separated the 1st and 2nd boat (raw time). Here is a link to some great video footage of the start - http://www.bohusrace27.com/2015/06/27/video-from-the-start/. With 190 competitors the shorthanded race is something we only can dream of in NA. A modest $100 entry fee for sure does not hurt and the view is free!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In case you missed it (http://sailinganarchy.com/2015/07/25/test-drive-2/ - there is a Seascape meet coming weekend in Kittery, Maine - see below for details. If you like to kick the tires (both Seascape 18 and 27) and meet fellow Seascapers, there are still a few limited places left.

On July 28 you announce a meet that starts on July 31 (three days later)?

Demo event was posted on the SeascapeUSA Facebook page on the 17th. This was a follow up notice in case you had not heard about it. It was also not posted by the host of the event.

I enjoyed the event and learned a lot about the boat. Weather was perfect on Friday as the wind built throughout the day.

Thank you to Toralf and Andraz for putting together a nice demo day.

Yes the Seascapes are good racing boats, but also so much else like cruising and fun sailing in a trailerable package that does not break the bank. Seen here 'keel up' tied to shore while crew attends the post race party (no dinghy needed).

post-74169-0-30488400-1439960581_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you who follow the Seascape brand, you'll be happy to learn that the Danish 134 NM single handed Silver Rudder race starts in a few hours with a sizeable contingent of both 18 and 27's competing. With a predicted 25 KTS at 140TWA we should expect a good start.

For more information and tracking see www.silverrudder.com/ and www.seascapesilverrudder.com.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who follow the Seascape brand, you'll be happy to learn that the Danish 134 NM single handed Silver Rudder race starts in a few hours with a sizeable contingent of both 18 and 27's competing. With a predicted 25 KTS at 140TWA we should expect a good start.

For more information and tracking see www.silverrudder.com/ and www.seascapesilverrudder.com.

And? How did they do?

And? How did they do?

See here: http://silverrudder.com/en/results/2015-scoreboard

Conditions were relatively rough at the start with winds 15-20 gusting to > 25 kts, so not all boats made it to the start (4 18s and 27s each DNC)

In the Keelboat Mini class (18-25 ft, no handicap) the SSC 18 (the smallest boat by far in the field) came in at

4th, 5th and 16th out of 18 finishers (beat by a Mini 650 Pogo 2, a Melges 24 and a Platu 25).

In the Keelboat Small class (25-30 ft, no handicap) the best SSC 27 came in 4th (sailed without an auto pilot!) after 21:47 hrs (25th boat home of >170 monohulls, beating most 30 to 40 footers and more than half of the >40 ft) , only 84 min behind the winner. The second SSC 27 made 11th out of 45 finishers. A third SSC 27 retired after running aground without damage during the start sequence.

And? How did they do?

See here: http://silverrudder.com/en/results/2015-scoreboard

Conditions were relatively rough at the start with winds 15-20 gusting to > 25 kts, so not all boats made it to the start (4 18s and 27s each DNC)

In the Keelboat Mini class (18-25 ft, no handicap) the SSC 18 (the smallest boat by far in the field) came in at

4th, 5th and 16th out of 18 finishers (beat by a Mini 650 Pogo 2, a Melges 24 and a Platu 25).

In the Keelboat Small class (25-30 ft, no handicap) the best SSC 27 came in 4th (sailed without an auto pilot!) after 21:47 hrs (25th boat home of >170 monohulls, beating most 30 to 40 footers and more than half of the >40 ft) , only 84 min behind the winner. The second SSC 27 made 11th out of 45 finishers. A third SSC 27 retired after running aground without damage during the start sequence.

Ref - running aground! One great feature is the swing keel. It not only gets you close to shore instead of anchoring (see picture), but it's a solid piece of equipment as I can testify to having run aground at 5 KTS and solidly on the rocks. A few pumps on the hydraulic system brought the keel up and the trip continued. Subsequent dive showed just minor scuffing of the keel.

post-74169-0-12863600-1443572996_thumb.jpg

Ref - running aground! One great feature is the swing keel. It not only gets you close to shore instead of anchoring (see picture), but it's a solid piece of equipment as I can testify to having run aground at 5 KTS and solidly on the rocks. A few pumps on the hydraulic system brought the keel up and the trip continued. Subsequent dive showed just minor scuffing of the keel.

hmm... guess that explains some of the recent discussions... Anyway, don't get used to this. Keel systems are designed for sailing and not rock hopping.

"pretty certain" - didn't it have SEASCAPE 27 written down the side in a super-graphic ?

Yeah, I think it did. But I drive faster than I can read....

That was an 18 heading for Florida. If you keep an eye on the turnpike coming weekend you might see both an 18 and 27 on their way to the Annapolis show!

OK, Svein99, tell us about the Boat Show special offer...

27 is -10% and 18 is -5%.

And in U$D that means the base costs are...?

If you are US based, I suggest you contact the US dealer for pricing as shipping, importation and prep cost vary from country to country.

• 1 month later...

The Seascape in New Orleans rates 126 and still can't keep up with much older designs on a W\L course. J27's kill it. The only time it looks competitive is on a tight spinnaker reach.

Do they know how to sail and/or race? The specs would certainly suggest a much faster rating than 126. The Seascape shouldn't have a problem outrunning a J/80 or J/70. It should sail to a rating very close to 100.

How many SC27 entered in the Syd-Hob?

One hell of a race and probably doable if the race organizers are a bit flexible with the rules, but dont expect any Seascapes in the race until we can build a local fleet. At a $100K, its not fair to compare us to TP52's etc, but on a reach we would do well in the bang for the buck department. For a trailerable boat Seascape can look back at some excellent racing results in Europe in 2014-2015 - the latest being this weekend in Croatia (see www.jabuka27.com). This years 95NM off-shore race had a mix of low wind conditions at the start transiting to decent downwind conditions to Jabuka and then a 40nm upwind leg followed by a short Code0 run to the finish. Three Seascapes finished in the top 30 which is an excellent result, but in addition the teams had a fun week together ably supported by Seascape at a cost that we can only dream of in North America. For the full results go to http://www.tijat.adriatica.biz/.

Have to be a bit more than a little flexible.....

Min length 9m

EC cat A

High stability requirement

Min 6 crew

Safety obsessed organizers (with some justification I might add)

More chance of multis competing. ...

• 2 months later...

I've been following this thread not long after it appeared, and I've often thought that it would be a damn nice boat to own. It's been one of those boats that I've always noticed at the docks - drooling after a little extra compared to the other boats.

In 2013 I raced against one (hull #5 I think) in the 27ft long 70's cruiser I had at the time. I came in 3rd on handicap (2nd on the line), while the SSC27 was right behind me but came last on handicap. Mighty fine boat I thought, while it finally was able to plane for the first time that day - passing by fairly quickly on it's way home. Earlier that year I was racing on a Mumm 36 when a different SSC27 went past us and eventually out of sight, not a great day for us - might have been us being way too hung over (this was SeaYou, hull #3?).

Fast forward to last week. I was a bit tired of my day job that day, and for some reason I don't really understand I started looking into the SSC27 again - mostly watching youtube videos and looking at result boards. After some random googling I found an expired ad for one that was for sale in my area (4-5 months old ad). For some reason I sent a email to the seller asking if it still was for sale, although I wasn't really looking to buy a boat. But, indeed it was still for sale.

Today, under a week later I can call my self the owner of hull #5 (if I managed to interpret the build number correctly). The same boat I raced against, and came right in front of on the line in 2013.

MD. Many of us share your interest in the SSC27 and hope that you will report on your experiences with your new ride.

I will for sure! I have really appreciated all the material generated by people sailing it the past years although I never had the intention to get one.

Congrats MD. I'm envious.

Thanks, I would have been too.

We pick our own poisons, MD.

Enjoy the boat!

Thanks!

Congratulations - for the 2016 race/event schedule see http://www.thinkseascape.com/2015/12/seascape-2016-event-calendar/

Thanks, already looked into it. Bohus race have been a long dream to do, but never worked out with time, so will do that one for sure. Skagen down hill seems interesting as there's another racing ending in Skagen the weekend before. Would have been easier to attend more if I also had a trailer to move it around - which I don't :). Better to get miles while delivering on water rather than the road anyway...

I hate you.

I do too.

Congratulations, MD

My boat, hull number 59, arrived in Chicago about two weeks ago.

Will be interesting to get other owners ideas on setup as I wait for the harbors to open May 1st.

I am looking forward to doing some single and double handed events on Lake Michigan and am also planning on doing the Chicago-Mac race in a fully crewed section. I might enter some of the other Area III port to port races as well.

This boat replaces my J/105 which I sold two years ago named Striking which is the name I used to post under.

I am not comfortable posting pricing info for what I paid to the open forum and it depends a lot on options and equipment.

The magazines have published prices which are in the right range.

Toralf Strand is the USA dealer and he will be able to get you the current info. Contact him at SeascapeUSA@gmail.com