Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jono

VOR Miami Stop Activities

Given the abbreviated stop time and isolation of Itaji, I'd hope that there is a lot going on down pit lane.

I saw an article that said Camper had to reweigh - do they all?

What else with the keels, rigs, new sails, delam and so on.

Given I could look in each day in Aucklan I feel like I'm missing out.....

I also asked in the leg 6 thread if there was any gossip on sail buttons and who was running out. It's getting tighter so fresh rags will help. Anyone in the know who can tell?

Given the abbreviated stop time and isolation of Itaji, I'd hope that there is a lot going on down pit lane.

I also asked in the leg 6 thread if there was any gossip on sail buttons and who was running out. It's getting tighter so fresh rags will help. Anyone in the know who can tell?

There was a lot of hull work going on.

475850_10150772490620356_683275355_9672416_1899599148_o.jpg

531182_10150772491390356_683275355_9672425_861152004_n.jpg

477928_10150772493305356_683275355_9672442_311554219_o.jpg

What are sail buttons?

What are sail buttons?

Sail buttons are stickers used to prove that a sail is legal for one design use, often there is a limit of how many can be bought in one year.

For the VOR teams are allowed 17 total sails for the entire regatta, including storm sails. All of them had to be measured and approved before the start in Alicante. From there on it is about managing what legs to take sails with different designs and making sure no sail gets too beat up. I have no idea what the sail inventories for teams look like but there are probably some duplicate sails (or at least very similar ones, especially in regards to spinnakers). Puma has been using the same main sail since the start and it has held up damn well considering what it has been through.

There was a lot of hull work going on.

Heard that Puma was having work done on blisters.

Just to be clear, the Puma work is being done to repair blisters in the paint job, below the water line. Not blisters in the layup.

Also, while 17 sails is the limit, there is no requirement for them to have been constructed and measured prior to the start in Alicante. I'm reasonably sure that Camper took delivery of a new main while in Auckland. I'm pretty sure that other boats are continuing to refine their sail choices, too.

We stopped at the village yesterday and thought it left a lot to be desired. It was nice to see the boats but it seems that the whole arrangement was kind of cobbled together. Maybe that was the only area available where they could keep the boats together with their drafts. It was like a ghost town except for security people who outnumbered visitors probably 2 to 1. We watched them launch Puma which was cool. A nice Volvo tent with some neat stuff showing Volvo products. All of the teams had their spaces set up for selling their gear and it is interesting to see the differences between them. That is a pretty big traveling circus to ship around. I wish we could have stayed around for the weekend and I am sure traffic will pick up and more people will visit the village. Good luck to Puma for the rest of the race.

I just read Clean's critique of the VOR Miami stopover and I have to say, I gotta agree with him. Despite the efforts of some well-meaning and enthusiastic locals, the whole Miami stop just... didn't happen. (And if the stop had to be Miami, why stick the boats in that out-of-the way location?)

But, why Miami anyway? That was a bad, bad decision. When you think of all the places up and down the US east coast that probably would have bent over backwards to get the VOR in... places like Charleston, or Annapolis, or Newport- hell, why not Morehead City, or Norfolk/Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach, or even Key West? (Now there's a wild idea...!) Boston would have been better than Miami, or even the freakin' Big Apple. I bet Fort Lauderdale probably could have put on a better welcome than Miami...

I like Miami, but... not as a VOR stopover

Wait a minute- what was I smoking? I'll bet, in the view of Volvo, Miami was freakin' perfect, as Clean also points out- all the big money fat cats who were flown in from who knows where, who likely knew less than diddely about sailing, who enjoyed VIP treatment, rides on large powerboats with open bars... all those assholes who were wined and dined and ass-kissed by Volvo... all that extraneous crap probably justified the stop in Miami for Volvo... (you know, this is a new world- gotta mind that ROI... the fat cats matter most these days...)

silly me, I was thinking of what would be good for access for, you know, everyday people...