Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jono

Front page Trapezing off the shoulders

I must be getting old.

Nothing like reinventing the wheel.

I remember reading about the NZ 470s doing this in the early 80s. Involved were a few names you may have heard of, Murray Jones, Hamish Wilcox, Peter Evans, Chris Dickson, D Barnes, J Scott, B Jones etc.

To be fair it was a single trap and no wings.

More effective positioning of crew. Why the hell not? Sure, some will say it increases risk of injury but going faster always involves more risk.

I must be getting old.

I remember reading about the NZ 470s doing this in the early 80s. Involved were a few names you may have heard of, Murray Jones, Hamish Wilcox, Peter Evans, Chris Dickson, D Barnes, J Scott, B Jones etc.

Didn't they wear wet sweat shirts and weight belts in those days too? HA HA

I think this is a case where they looked at the rules and the class rules and said wholly crap batman check that out we can pull the old double up hiking trick given its not listed in the rules. HA HA

I must be getting old.

I did it on a Nacra 5.2 in 1980 in the Australian Nationals. No-one raised a protest.

Anyone remember the boats that have 10 people or more arranged in a pyramid on the trap? First row is four, second row three, and so on? Lake Geneva I think...

I14s anticipated this

Rule 19 Equipment for Crew

(a) Both members of the crew shall be in contact with the hull, fittings or gunwale assembly. Either, or both, may

use a trapeze, individually or simultaneously. .....

I14s anticipated this

Rule 19 Equipment for Crew

(a) Both members of the crew shall be in contact with the hull, fittings or gunwale assembly. Either, or both, may

use a trapeze, individually or simultaneously. .....

Both crew are still "in contact" with "fittings"

If the crew "free solo-ed" up onto the skippers shoulders, then there would be a problem.

There must be some serious stress on the rig with the extra leverage.

Not against the rules so good luck to them.

no not really - trapeze is mentioned separately

hull, fittings, or gunwale assembly implies hull or racks

Yes, 470's can do it too. So, what's coming up next? Reduction of crew weight in those classes?

post-55189-0-18675900-1347585393_thumb.jpeg

I must be getting old.

Didn't they wear wet sweat shirts and weight belts in those days too? HA HA

I think this is a case where they looked at the rules and the class rules and said wholly crap batman check that out we can pull the old double up hiking trick given its not listed in the rules. HA HA

Nope, there were limits to weight on clothing in the RRS. I had a trap harness with pockets for water bags, IIRC the legal limit was somehwere around 30 lbs

Standing on the skipper's shoulders- yeah we called it 'super-trapping' back in the day and I think we saw Fireball crews doing it first. Illegal in races obviously but we all practiced it to show off before/between races. Changed the nature of hot spinnaker reaches in a 470

FB- Doug

Yes, 470's can do it too. So, what's coming up next? Reduction of crew weight in those classes?

Foils

Kevin,

You have the goss on the "high heels"?

Lets see how un-fun we can make sailing. USS has done a great job of it, now we have to stack up on a wire? Or better yet lets have real saggy lifelines and make the crew hang out and extend their legs too............................I must be geting old.

What ever happened to the "Art of Sailing"

Lets see how un-fun we can make sailing. USS has done a great job of it, now we have to stack up on a wire? Or better yet lets have real saggy lifelines and make the crew hang out and extend their legs too............................I must be geting old.

What a pare of 75% DieSemiHards that pair is

Ya wanna give it yer best 124%

stand on the Facker's Head - with Cleats fo dat extra 1"

Don't sail boats like 49er's. It's like complaining that there's not a decent bar area on an 18 foot skiff. Horses for courses and all that.

ive done it in 420's just fucking around... can't imagine the balance required to stand out there double stacked on the trap...

ive done it in 420's just fucking around... can't imagine the balance required to stand out there double stacked on the trap...

The driver should wear footstrap shoulder pads...

if its faster they should just put another folding wing on the wing, so the skipper can have some dignity and not be a human footstool....

back when I sailed in I14's and had fairly long hair that I put in a pony tail for sailing my skipper would treat my pony tail like a hand hold if he was getting pushed off the back by a wave, or if it seemed like I was getting slingshot forward he'd grab it to keep me from going around the forestay

those guys have good boathandling skills and balance to pull that off, especially in a race

back when I sailed in I14's and had fairly long hair that I put in a pony tail for sailing my skipper would treat my pony tail like a hand hold if he was getting pushed off the back by a wave, or if it seemed like I was getting slingshot forward he'd grab it to keep me from going around the forestay

those guys have good boathandling skills and balance to pull that off, especially in a race

Allan, the skipper, has posted a video of this on fb. it looks very stable, he simply jumps of the back off the crew getting down and the crew kneels slightly when he goes out.

unfortunately he hasn't posted on a file sharing site so i cant give you a link

O.K. I'll bite, why are the loads higher?

I recall a 18 footer doing this in the 70's before they had racks. But was a bit easier as the guy at the top had two crew to stand on and the old school 18's were a hell of a lot more stable than a 49'er.

O.K. I'll bite, why are the loads higher?

Because the max load on a rig is primarily due to the available righting moment. The sails can only push as hard on the mast as the boat can push back - otherwise you capsize. So, increasing the RM by moving the crew out there will increase the loads on the rig (which is why you go faster...).

I have a hard time imagining having the coordination on the boat to do that, but if they're good enough, good for them!

:-)

The fact that they make it look so mundane is just awesome. It doesn't look like they lost any speed or point throughout their little bit of acrobatics.

Maybe flat water moderate steady winds with two good drivers on board but once you start rocknrollin...