bljones

Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Bull City said:

For some reason, it brings this to mind (Notre-Dame du Haut for any barbarians out there :P):

image.png.0053a64f9079d05fdffe647794565646.png

The materials and color choices are similar,  but there is a wee difference in workmanship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ I didn't see one.

26 minutes ago, chester said:

why is there what appears to be a large bull elk (a real one) at about 3 mins?  an elk?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bull City said:

^^ I didn't see one.

 

Me neither.

This came up in the "suggested" links, looks kinda neat if you have water you can see through.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be very cool in the Caribbean with that glass clear water. Being able to control it from the pod would be neat too.

The ultimate glass bottom boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably cheaper to get dive certified.   But, then again, you can't drink beer while looking at the fishes.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bull City said:

No words needed.

 

Just brilliant. How he miraculously gets rid of his helmet and motor outfit when hitting the water. Fascinating.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chester said:

sorry, 1:28

Maybe a potential investor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, chester said:

why is there what appears to be a large bull elk (a real one) at about 3 mins?  an elk?

We have in the studio today, an elk.

I'm sorry, Anne Elk.

 

I appreciate that the wide beam that makes it stable on water forces it to slow down in the tight corners because it can't lean over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That park bench/diving platform sure pretties it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That park bench/diving platform sure pretties it up.

Looks part Park, part Rehab Center

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pertsa said:

I think this fits here. It is ugly, yet it is interesting. Look at that spar!

46486486.thumb.JPG.90507b753fce8ffed68da244feda26c9.JPG

Also

684648.thumb.JPG.4beb550a1917cfef84151121d67109d7.JPG

 

You are supposed to include a link to the ad so we can go mine it for further shits and giggles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Pertsa said:

I think this fits here. It is ugly, yet it is interesting. Look at that spar!

 

https://www.nettivene.com/en/moottorivene/muu-merkki/750014

46486486.thumb.JPG.90507b753fce8ffed68da244feda26c9.JPG

Also

684648.thumb.JPG.4beb550a1917cfef84151121d67109d7.JPG

 

Isn't that the Dag Nabbit Tabernacle Special.

They were going to broadcast Boxing Day advertisements to Estonia

The dual propulsion system was to fool the spy submarines..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corryvreckan said:

Impressive.  According to the ad, it has a sauna, a fence, and even a compass!

Sauna is essential, it is Finland after all. 

27 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

May god have mercy on anyone who has to turn that rudder.  It's a barn door hinged on the short side.

Moottorivene-Muu-merkki-4668ef0e81483e61-large.thumb.jpg.1175e2b248ffab99348db37c283b29e9.jpg

 

It also looks quite thin. I wonder how much it deflects when at full angle of attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pertsa said:
36 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

May god have mercy on anyone who has to turn that rudder.  It's a barn door hinged on the short side.

Moottorivene-Muu-merkki-4668ef0e81483e61-large.thumb.jpg.1175e2b248ffab99348db37c283b29e9.jpg

 

It also looks quite thin. I wonder how much it deflects when at full angle of attack.

That may not arise, due to the extreme effort required to turn it to that angle of attack.  Unless someone has installed a massive hydraulic steering system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7230319_20191004163629871_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Looks like something Terry Pratchett invented. I'm sure you can survive a nuke blast in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks like Brent Swain's fundamental idea but carried out by an intelligent person with a bit of money.

If I was ever possessed to cruise in extreme high latitudes I'd want something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matagi said:

7230319_20191004163629871_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Looks like something Terry Pratchett invented. I'm sure you can survive a nuke blast in it.

23,000 lbs (reported) @ 31' LOD. Bruce Roberts design modified by the builder. Completed 2009, asking $270,000. :blink:

https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/yachts-for-sale/31-Custom-Pilothouse-Cutter-2009-Port-Townsend-Washington/7230319

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoops - never mind - that's a Roberts Spray.

What a waste of a huge amount of time, apparently skilled workmanship and materials.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Whoops - never mind - that's a Roberts Spray.

What a waste of a huge amount of time, apparently skilled workmanship and materials.

I just found https://www.bruceroberts.com/Spray-read-the-truth.htm ... where Roberts asserts that Slocum "invested two years of his life in the total rebuilding of her. As it turned out, he could not have made a better choice".

AIUI, the prevailing view is the opposite: that Slocum could hardly have made a worse choice of boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I just found https://www.bruceroberts.com/Spray-read-the-truth.htm ... where Roberts asserts that Slocum "invested two years of his life in the total rebuilding of her. As it turned out, he could not have made a better choice".

AIUI, the prevailing view is the opposite: that Slocum could hardly have made a worse choice of boat.

Even though it was his only choice at the time, he did very well with it. A master seaman in all ways. Unlike Bruce Roberts, to drag this back to the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Even though it was his only choice at the time, he did very well with it. A master seaman in all ways. Unlike Bruce Roberts, to drag this back to the thread.

Sure, Slocum's skill enabled him to survive some long passages in spite of his boat.  Until that wasn't enough.

To be fair to Bruce Roberts, his designs are a wee bit better than those of Brent Swain. #FaintPraise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Sure, Slocum's skill enabled him to survive some long passages in spite of his boat.  Until that wasn't enough.

To be fair to Bruce Roberts, his designs are a wee bit better than those of Brent Swain. #FaintPraise

And he was smart enough to hire Bob Perry to do the drudge work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 9:44 AM, TwoLegged said:

May god have mercy on anyone who has to turn that rudder.  It's a barn door hinged on the short side.

Moottorivene-Muu-merkki-4668ef0e81483e61-large.thumb.jpg.1175e2b248ffab99348db37c283b29e9.jpg

 

Can anyone explain the (intended) purpose of the two props?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fleetwood said:

Can anyone explain the (intended) purpose of the two props?

I'm guessing it's a get-home prop. You see a lot of those off to one side on the "Expedition Motoryacht" crowd.

Or, he trolls for salmon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

I'm guessing it's a get-home prop. You see a lot of those off to one side on the "Expedition Motoryacht" crowd.

Or, he trolls for salmon.

I had a get-home prop on my last cruising boat, fixed blade, lived in the bilge in case my feathering one broke. (Never did.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

Sure, Slocum's skill enabled him to survive some long passages in spite of his boat.  Until that wasn't enough.

To be fair to Bruce Roberts, his designs are a wee bit better than those of Brent Swain. #FaintPraise

And he was smart enough to hire Bob Perry to do the drudge work.

That was Jay Benford, not Bruce Roberts.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, slap said:

That was Jay Benford, not Bruce Roberts.

My bad. I keep getting the mediocrities mixed up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ishmael said:
3 minutes ago, slap said:

That was Jay Benford, not Bruce Roberts.

My bad. I keep getting the mediocrities mixed up.

Miaow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Sure, Slocum's skill enabled him to survive some long passages in spite of his boat.  Until that wasn't enough.

To be fair to Bruce Roberts, his designs are a wee bit better than those of Brent Swain. #FaintPraise

Slocum sailed his oyster dredger because he was broke and got it for free. If he had not been a consummate seaman he likely wouldn't have succeeded.

Hell, his wife was a better seaman that most of us can even aspire to being.

Some of Roberts older designs weren't bad but those Spray "replicas" are proof that even a haystack will sail downwind.

There was a big one being finished up on the hard in my marina some years ago. It was beautifully built and finished completely bright but it looked like nothing so much as a San Francisco hay scow.

Only without the oddball charm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Slocum sailed his oyster dredger because he was broke and got it for free. If he had not been a consummate seaman he likely wouldn't have succeeded.

Hell, his wife was a better seaman that most of us can even aspire to being.

Some of Roberts older designs weren't bad but those Spray "replicas" are proof that even a haystack will sail downwind.

There was a big one being finished up on the hard in my marina some years ago. It was beautifully built and finished completely bright but it looked like nothing so much as a San Francisco hay scow.

Only without the oddball charm.

Needs a cow on the foredeck for serious consideration.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Needs a cow on the foredeck for serious consideration.

I am guessing there are only a few people that get that cultural reference.  Well done.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the rendering. Came right here.

8_e715241768.jpeg

a_7a72069eb0.jpeg

Sunbeam's used to be quite elegant, even the small ones.

Shame. Shame. Shame. ding-a-ling. ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Matagi said:

Saw the rendering. Came right here.

8_e715241768.jpeg

a_7a72069eb0.jpeg

Sunbeam's used to be quite elegant, even the small ones.

Shame. Shame. Shame. ding-a-ling. ...

I dunno. Give them credit for trying something new

I personally would not only not buy a boat like that, I wouldn't accept one as a gift, and if one were brought into the slip next to mine, I'd move.

FB- Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matagi said:

Saw the rendering. Came right here.

Sunbeam's used to be quite elegant, even the small ones.

Shame. Shame. Shame. ding-a-ling. ...

If anyone feels like risking their sanity by further exposure, the website is at https://www.sail32.com/en/

It's a tragicomic hypefest about how they are step ahead of evolution, etc. But the black everywhere and the sad-act bigtalk make it all look very Spinal Tap.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

If anyone feels like risking their sanity by further exposure, the website is at https://www.sail32.com/en/

It's a tragicomic hypefest about how they are step ahead of evolution, etc. But the black everywhere and the sad-act bigtalk make it all look very Spinal Tap.

Correct.

It's not design, if you have to explain it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That thing looks faster backwards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

star-wars-hasbro-jabbas-sail-barge-hasla

a_7a72069eb0.jpeg

Am I the only one who sees a striking similarity to Jabba's barge here?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Matagi said:

a_7a72069eb0.jpeg

Am I the only one who sees a striking similarity to Jabba's barge here?

I think you are mistaken, Matagi.

Jabba's barge lacks the SpinalTap32's killer innovation: the magic mainsheet which passes through the bimini.  There's clearly some great techno-wizardry behind that feature. Possibly even a nano-sized turbo-encabulator to deflect the loads.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't buy it if it doesn't make the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Matagi said:

Saw the rendering. Came right here.

8_e715241768.jpeg

a_7a72069eb0.jpeg

Sunbeam's used to be quite elegant, even the small ones.

Shame. Shame. Shame. ding-a-ling. ...

Is it just the rendering or does it have a flat bottom?

(I don't dare check out the website to look further.....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Slick470 said:

It reminded me more of this:goblin-shark-jaw.ngsversion.1445013254494.adapt_1900.1.thumb.jpg.dfdabf35557c9b43335d96a116a2148c.jpg

Fairly sure I met her in a Galway nightclub on a stag weekend waaaaaay back. Could have been her sister, though, memories are hazy. Say what you like but she had a great sense of humour.

2 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Is it just the rendering or does it have a flat bottom?

(I don't dare check out the website to look further.....)

Again, that Galway nightclub.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't hate the interior. It's been done before, can't remember which boat, but one that sold pretty well as I recall.  Moving the lounge space forward seems like it would work in most day sail, or even overnight situations. Longer than that, nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 8:54 PM, Fleetwood said:

Can anyone explain the (intended) purpose of the two props?

 

On 1/1/2021 at 5:44 PM, TwoLegged said:

May god have mercy on anyone who has to turn that rudder.  It's a barn door hinged on the short side.

Moottorivene-Muu-merkki-4668ef0e81483e61-large.thumb.jpg.1175e2b248ffab99348db37c283b29e9.jpg

 

I wish they had a pic inside, can't wrap my head around how things are connected in there. The original rudder, apature etc seems normal work/power boat but the crazy bits are something else. The get home prop must be power by a hamster wheel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

 

I wish they had a pic inside, can't wrap my head around how things are connected in there. The original rudder, apature etc seems normal work/power boat but the crazy bits are something else. The get home prop must be power by a hamster wheel.

Could it be for power generation while sailing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

 The get home prop must be power by a hamster wheel.

Belted off a gen set?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Belted off a gen set?

Maybe.

Moottorivene-Muu-merkki-f5325bbd9ad69c66

Moottorivene-Muu-merkki-cc804656ffaa28f5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sailman said:

Could it be for power generation while sailing?

No, while motoring!   :lol:  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that it is Nanni-Kubota, common small marine engines here. I have one 21hp in my motorboat. That is super small prop though, must be running trough gearbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2021 at 10:49 AM, Matagi said:

Saw the rendering. Came right here.

8_e715241768.jpeg

a_7a72069eb0.jpeg

Sunbeam's used to be quite elegant, even the small ones.

Shame. Shame. Shame. ding-a-ling. ...

I am a bit confused.Which is the front end?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

I am a bit confused.Which is the front end?

I am wondering which way is up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Santana20AE said:

I am a bit confused.Which is the front end?

The ugly one... hey wait!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 9:04 PM, Santana20AE said:

I am a bit confused.Which is the front end?

I agree, that was what I wondered before.

So I fixed it:

dfhfthg.thumb.jpg.d2dd1df90f49ad38145a43bc85a1be51.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pertsa said:

I agree, that was what I wondered before.

So I fixed it:

dfhfthg.thumb.jpg.d2dd1df90f49ad38145a43bc85a1be51.jpg

All boats should be steered from the bow, so you can see where you're going without all that shit in the way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ That is really hard to look at. Rectangular ports and round ports. Ouch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanna see the builder's 25 stone woman go out and tie that thing to the dock in a contrary breeze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I wanna see the builder's 25 stone woman go out and tie that thing to the dock in a contrary breeze.

Looks like it would capsize with anything over Force 5 on the beam. Driving in wind and cross seas would be very entertaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, charisma94 said:

image.png.95901e12d42d8f4a8edbebcd50de53bb.png

Looks like he studied thousands of designs.

 

image.thumb.png.6fbe10416a1f77d5712031b545384334.png

 

image.png.6cb0e5fe9300c9d7dbf18c430e36eed9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm struggling to find something to admire and all I have is 'the owner's deep well of eternal optimism'.  That is a well that has been extensively drawn upon.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, charisma94 said:

Stolen from FB:image.png.95901e12d42d8f4a8edbebcd50de53bb.png

 

Yeah, what could go wrong?

As long as it's sitting on properly secured jack stands, I mean

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one question?  How do you reach the life ring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, py26129 said:

Just one question?  How do you reach the life ring?

It will be one of those things that float on top after the boat sinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, I see. Auto deployment!   Somebody obviously thought this through.

Thanks Ish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gentleman, please wait until it is advertised on Craigslist and we move it over to the Mocking thread. This is the Admiration thread.

The management thanks you for your patience and cooperation.....

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, py26129 said:

Just one question?  How do you reach the life ring?

The same way your 275 stone girlfriend-deckhand accesses the midships and for'ard cleats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2021 at 6:14 PM, Fleetwood said:

Just one?

First one's free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever happened to that boat that tipped over in Anacortes?

Did they cut it up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect the lawyers are still in the preliminaries - it's only been 6 years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites