Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

No trailer, no problem.  Just drill through the bilge keels and slide the axle right in. A couple of fittings from Harbor Freight and your off to the scrap yard!

Posted Images

Sons:

I think it has sort of late '50's early '60's kind of panache in a very tacky way. I can see a little counter below with a grey formica top. There are little red and yellow boomerangs in the formica. Remember those?

hah..yeah, I can totally picture that counter. With stainless edging and shiny mustard colored upholstery for the settee.

Ha! That's *exactly* what I saw - especially the ripply stainless edging... my grandparent's house in Florida, I think!

My wife remarked that it looked like they left the back off.

back%20off%202.jpg

Northwest 21. I think the hull was designed using only circle templates. They don't sail worth squat. Terrible boats. Good choice.

Ugly, but interesting. Most often, where designers get things wrong (at least in terms of aesthetics) is the cabin/coach roof. Here, it's the ONLY thing the 'designer' got right, IMO.

Mind you, having her spoon bow stuck up in the air by a couple of lardarses sitting at the blunt end, isn't helping her looks either.

back%20off%202.jpg

Northwest 21. I think the hull was designed using only circle templates. They don't sail worth squat. Terrible boats. Good choice.

Ugly, but interesting. Most often, where designers get things wrong (at least in terms of aesthetics) is the cabin/coach roof. Here, it's the ONLY thing the 'designer' got right, IMO.

Mind you, having her spoon bow stuck up in the air by a couple of lardarses sitting at the blunt end, isn't helping her looks either.

Also an excellent illustration of why boats with this much freeboard should not have OBs on transom brackets.

back%20off%202.jpg

Also an excellent illustration of why boats with this much freeboard should not have OBs on transom brackets.

Gotta think that it any kind of seas that the OB is goin' under water.

That would make a fine dink for relaxing at anchor. :D

I see one serious design flaw though. Where do you keep the cold beer?

A very small market, I suspect.

Actually, Hot Tub Boats is doing pretty well here in Seattle. I see them sailing around Lake Union all the time, even in the colder, crappy weather.

Actually, Hot Tub Boats is doing pretty well here in Seattle. I see them sailing around Lake Union all the time, even in the colder, crappy weather.

Hmmmm. I guess some fools are easily parted from their money and perhaps not surprisingly, like to make a spectacle of it. :)

Hmmmm. I guess some fools are easily parted from their money and perhaps not surprisingly, like to make a spectacle of it. :)

And some get by in their lives with the mocking of the enjoyments of others for some unfathomable reason?

You have never done something for the sheet enjoyment of it, for the spectacle of it, maybe something a little expensive, regardless of whether it served any purpose other than your enjoyment?

I mean, really?

Personally, I'n not very interested in the things but, I've seen a few people out on them and they seem to be having a nice time. I note that and go on with my life, enjoying my own pursuits, not caring much if anyone approves.

Bring back intolerance dammit! No booze! No fun! Missionary position only!

Is popcorn OK?

FB- Doug

No! Ban popcorn too! Ban everything!

Speaking of which, I wonder how the girl who banned herself from here is doing.

And some get by in their lives with the mocking of the enjoyments of others for some unfathomable reason?

You have never done something for the sheet enjoyment of it, for the spectacle of it, maybe something a little expensive, regardless of whether it served any purpose other than your enjoyment?

I mean, really?

Personally, I'n not very interested in the things but, I've seen a few people out on them and they seem to be having a nice time. I note that and go on with my life, enjoying my own pursuits, not caring much if anyone approves.

Whatever. Maybe you shouldn't take yourself and this thread so seriously.

Whatever. I find it amusing is all when people seem to have to diss others to build up their own superiority. If people like the hot tub boats, I say go for it. If someone wants to sneer at that and tell me to lighten up when I note that, that's really between them and their therapist.

I am amused by the original quirky monstrosity, especially because of the initial reports of him bringing young ladies to his creation. I say, " go for it, dude."

Whatever. I find it amusing is all when people seem to have to diss others to build up their own superiority. ... ...

And I am always tickled when somebody expresses disdain for dissing others, to build up their superiority over others' superiority.

DSK

That would make a fine dink for relaxing at anchor. :D

I see one serious design flaw though. Where do you keep the cold beer?

Wine dude, wine, The alcohol is for her not you, it's her judgement that we are trying to impede, not yours.

I think its dam cool.

LOL!! You're absolutely right. Once again I look at things form the perspective of having been married for 20+ years. That reminds me, I should pick up a bottle of wine on the way home tonight.

Whatever. I find it amusing is all when people seem to have to diss others to build up their own superiority. ... ...

And I am always tickled when somebody expresses disdain for dissing others, to build up their superiority over others' superiority.

DSK

This reminds me fo a Plaque I saw on someone's boat years ago:

"The superior sailor uses superior judgement to avoid the use of his superior seamanship"

Right below that was another gem:

"Sailing is like sex. The wetter, the better."

DSK

That would indeed be funny if what was the reason for me speaking up. That's not what I do.

this is drifiting from the uglyboat thread to the ugly thread about boats.

Hey, I'm learning new stuff all the time. I honestly thought your boat was the ugliest production sailboat ever until I saw that Northwest 21.

For a boat that was supposedly designed to appeal to one's aesthetic sensibilities, they sure got this one wrong:

moving-600.jpg

The marriage of the speedster hull with the lobster yacht house looks awful. I know, not a sailboat.

Without wanting to appear superior ... I agree.

For a boat that was supposedly designed to appeal to one's aesthetic sensibilities, they sure got this one wrong:

moving-600.jpg

The marriage of the speedster hull with the lobster yacht house looks awful. I know, not a sailboat.

Agreed.

DSK

That would indeed be funny if what was the reason for me speaking up. That's not what I do.

Just pointing, some people need to feel superior. Those who actually are, can afford to let them!

:rolleyes:

FB- Doug

Ladies, put the purses down.

DSK

Just pointing, some people need to feel superior. Those who actually are, can afford to let them!

:rolleyes:

FB- Doug

Point taken. That contribution of mine to this thread was a waste of my superior time. :)

Fair winds and all that...

moving-600.jpg

See, here's the thing.

The builder was blind. He thinks it looks just like a Hinckley picnic boat. He is proud of it. He built it in his basement, it took 35 years. It would be cruel to crush his dreams.

moving-600.jpg

See, here's the thing.

The builder was blind. He thinks it looks just like a Hinckley picnic boat. He is proud of it. He built it in his basement, it took 35 years. It would be cruel to crush his dreams.

Actually.... I kinda like it. But it wasn't love at first sight!

Different strokes and all that...

moving-600.jpg

It's kinda OK, for a fizz boat. The 'eave overhang' on that coach roof is a bit odd looking, IMO. Or is it a frisby?

Here is a Kent Ranger 24, I have always liked these for some reason, but have never been on one. I include it because it looks to be the same designer as the Northwest 21 above,

post-27422-0-98094800-1366259616_thumb.jpg

The Kent Ranger 18 has a bit of a cult following around here, the 24 not so much. I do not think either are related to the other line of better known Ranger sailboats.

Here is a Kent Ranger 24, I have always liked these for some reason, but have never been on one. I include it because it looks to be the same designer as the Northwest 21 above,

attachicon.gifranger_24_photo.jpg

The Kent Ranger 18 has a bit of a cult following around here, the 24 not so much. I do not think either are related to the other line of better known Ranger sailboats.

Ugly, IMO. But once again, not entirely. The almost clipper bow shows some promise (would look great on a 40 footer) but that hard chine amidships is way too harsh and must be a real pain below deck. Something of a tumblehome fuck up I think.Cabin looks OK but too narrow, because of the pinched-in beam at the sheerline.

I'm thinking maybe this boat started life as a dory on steroids - then morphed into something altogether less interesting. Thoughts?

I kind of like that window, or might on some other boat. That chine needs its own rub rail, which would make it even uglier.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif[/igmg] ranger_24_photo.jpg

For some reason, when I look at this boat, all I can think of is this: (runs and hides)

post-74403-0-04907400-1366286246_thumb.jpg

It is almost before it's time. Chines are all the rage now in both race boats and as a styling accent in some heavier production boats. Then there's the window that could be found in any modern deck saloon nowadays. All in a 1974 design.

moving-600.jpg

Agreed.

Disagreed. But then, I live in a country where it rains a lot, so shelter is attractive.

moving-600.jpg

Agreed.

Disagreed. But then, I live in a country where it rains a lot, so shelter is attractive.

So to be clear ... you think this is a pretty boat?

I think your meant the Kent Ranger 20 by Ray Richards who also designed the Kent Ranger 24.

moving-600.jpg

Agreed.

Only if it's raining....like pouring buckets.

moving-600.jpg

See, here's the thing.

Whoa! Mebbe not 'pretty' per se, but not ugly either. It was a miss becasue the superstructure appears too high relative to the hull freeboard. Also, there is something amiss with the bow/stem profile. It might not be so jarring at rest.... (he said hopefully)

moving-600.jpg

Agreed.

Actually, I'll follow up and clarify my "agreed". I don't think it's beautiful as an entire package. However, it has some nice lines here and there. I bet Bob could improve the pilot house quite a bit. No, it's not perfect but, if I needed a little runabout, and the price was right, I'd dare to own that.

Then again, I've owned one of these:

aDSC_0002.jpg

moving-600.jpg

Agreed.

Pretty fucking dry when it rains.

I'm with Veegs. It's afreeboard to house height problem. Another 4 to6" of freeboard and that amount taken out of the house sides would do this boat a world of good in the looks department..

The Kent Ranger 24 is a Ray Richards quarter tonner. They were not fast. Richards used midships chines on many oif his designs. They were all slow. But I always thought he had a great eye for aesthetics. He designed some fabulous looking commercial vessels. Richards DID NOT design the Northwest 21.

Scroll down and check out the hull murals. Not saying it's ugly, just not my cuppatea.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/35233

One of my buddies just finished building an 18' sharpie. It's all in white primer now and he's working out what colors to paint it. I suggested he park it near an urban railroad yard and let the taggers have at it.

I'm with Veegs. It's afreeboard to house height problem. Another 4 to6" of freeboard and that amount taken out of the house sides would do this boat a world of good in the looks department..

The Kent Ranger 24 is a Ray Richards quarter tonner. They were not fast. Richards used midships chines on many oif his designs. They were all slow. But I always thought he had a great eye for aesthetics. He designed some fabulous looking commercial vessels. Richards DID NOT design the Northwest 21.

Richards did design the Ranger 20:

picranger20ba.jpg

DSCN0196.jpg

When I was a kid I went to meet Ray Richards at his office. His office was in his garage built onto his house. He wore a suit. He did not let me into his office. I thought he was an odd man. He seemed stand offish and bored with me.

As more and more kids came to visit me in my office I looked back on how I had been treated as a kid and I put those lessons to work. Bill Garden had always been gracious, hospitable and generous with me. I tried to be more like Bill. My oine rule was always give a kid a pile of stuff to take home. Kids love old drawings. I still have the book that Bill gave me when I was 15 years old.

When I was a kid I went to meet Ray Richards at his office. His office was in his garage built onto his house. He wore a suit. He did not let me into his office. I thought he was an odd man. He seemed stand offish and bored with me.

As more and more kids came to visit me in my office I looked back on how I had been treated as a kid and I put those lessons to work. Bill Garden had always been gracious, hospitable and generous with me. I tried to be more like Bill. My oine rule was always give a kid a pile of stuff to take home. Kids love old drawings. I still have the book that Bill gave me when I was 15 years old.

Great revelation, Bob. Shows a generous spirit.

It's hard to understand why someone would not welcome genuine interest in their field. I mean, someone is coming to you, interested in what you know and what you do, because they want to eventually do it too. They want to be as good as you, or maybe even better one day. Aside from some challenges in life that would make it impossible at the time, who would not want to be a mentor to a genuine student?

I like that you welcome that, Bob. I really do.

picranger20ba.jpg

DSCN0196.jpg

I think these Richards designs show an extravagance, or ostentatiousness (some might call it a creative flair) which is an indulgence - much like the way Citroen built its cars in the '70's and '80's (and still does, but to a lesser extent). Yet the man had talent for sure. Just look at that beautiful clipper bow. But on a 24 footer? It's almost like these boats are a eclectic mix of interesting bits and pieces, but without any sense of purpose, form and function, IMO.

Sailby:

That's an interesting observation and you may be right on. So much of Ray's design work is the "frosting" on the cake and while the frosting was tasty some of his cakes were bad.

But all his cakes weren't bad. His Haida 26 was an amazing little boat and I write about it in my book.

As weird as Ray's designs are/were I stil like thee quirkiness of them. He was an amazing draftsman. I studied his tehnique.

Not sure I have a "generous spirit" but I don't get any enjoyment out of being mean to a kid with a dream. I was that kid once.

picranger20ba.jpg

DSCN0196.jpg

I think these Richards designs show an extravagance, or ostentatiousness (some might call it a creative flair) which is an indulgence - much like the way Citroen built its cars in the '70's and '80's (and still does, but to a lesser extent). Yet the man had talent for sure. Just look at that beautiful clipper bow. But on a 24 footer? It's almost like these boats are a eclectic mix of interesting bits and pieces, but without any sense of purpose, form and function, IMO.

I dunno about any of the other Kent Ranger or Ray Richards boats, but I do know the R20 and the 21 Ranger Tug.

The Kent Ranger 20 was a very practical little boat, the shoe-like looks gave it more combined room in cabin and cockpit than would be possible with a more conventional bulkhead & companionway. We cruised (long weekends really) in company with several of them and they sail surprisingly well for their size & weight. Sure it could make better use of the LOA than that long clipper bow but plumb bows were not the style back then.

The Ranger Tug is kind of an affectation IMHO. Cute but tippy, slow, and unhandy. The cabin is like crawling under your desk. But they sure are cute.

B- Doug

His office was in his garage built onto his house. He wore a suit.

Those two statements speak volumes. When you get rid of your workspace and no longer wear work clothes, you lose any connection to your work- it all becomes theoretical, just lines on paper that don't look nearly as pretty in practice.

His Alajuela 33 looks to have been a sweet looking boat, Bob. A canoe stern cutter, of rather traditional lines - maybe a bit like one or two of your own designs, above water at least?

But it seems the smaller he draughted, the weirder his creations got.

It is almost before it's time. Chines are all the rage now in both race boats and as a styling accent in some heavier production boats. Then there's the window that could be found in any modern deck saloon nowadays. All in a 1974 design.

Understand what you're saying about chines, Tricky. But they can be VERY ugly. Look at VPLP's MACIF for example. Not a good looker at all - but we all know she's rocket ship fast and apparently bullet proof (last time ATW at least).

post-76289-0-10739000-1366429429_thumb.jpg

Ray is a very good designer. There may be a few elements he missed but he had the eye. It must have driven him crazy to see me have some success.

I think he was some kind of Jehovah Witness minister. No I am not kidding. Really.

I often made fun of him wearing a suit to his garage to work but inside I admired him for that.