Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

Think its a Typhoon with bowsprit, tacked on mizzen, cutter rig on a masthead rig for the mainmast. Booms are odd being at deck level. All the stuff a real big yawl would have....can't image it can go upwind at all with all those (small) slots...and but it looks taken care of, as if someone fantasy is well filled by this little guy....

Crash, I think you win the prize! Cape Dory Typhoon it is. Down to the tiny round port lights.

post-74403-0-49064000-1366510656_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

This is what happens when you wear socks with sandals.

Posted Images

Think its a Typhoon with bowsprit, tacked on mizzen, cutter rig on a masthead rig for the mainmast. Booms are odd being at deck level. All the stuff a real big yawl would have....can't image it can go upwind at all with all those (small) slots...and but it looks taken care of, as if someone fantasy is well filled by this little guy....

Crash, I think you win the prize! Cape Dory Typhoon it is. Down to the tiny round port lights.

I'm not so sure. The cockpit coaming has disappeared, and an AL toerail has come from nowhere.

It sure does look like Alberg though. He designed 6-8 boats between 17 and 25 feet mostly looking a lot alike. (The Ensign was one that looked a little different.)

I'm not so sure. The cockpit coaming has disappeared, and an AL toerail has come from nowhere.

It sure does look like Alberg though. He designed 6-8 boats between 17 and 25 feet mostly looking a lot alike. (The Ensign was one that looked a little different.)

I reckon it is the same boat... the wooden toerail on the second boat is higher and cuts down the cabin height in the photo. Given the rig modifications on the first boat I wouldn't be surprised if the alloy toerail and removal of coamings were other `improvements'. I hope he put some more ballast in her for that rig.

I think she is `fun'. I hope he has a mizzen staysail for her as well.. He can imagine himself as Francis Chichester.

(or... she)

post-14496-0-59367300-1366560870_thumb.jpeg

I reckon it is the same boat... the wooden toerail on the second boat is higher and cuts down the cabin height in the photo. Given the rig modifications on the first boat I wouldn't be surprised if the alloy toerail and removal of coamings were other `improvements'. I hope he put some more ballast in her for that rig.

I think she is `fun'. I hope he has a mizzen staysail for her as well.. He can imagine himself as Francis Chichester.

(or... she)

Is that Gypsy Moth Tricky? Loved that boat when I was a kid.

Guess just what showed up at my Marina. Now we're not classy, but there have to be -some- standards... Not really even sure how it made it there, but seeing how he's bow first I'd guess it was a close thing. 12 points if you can identify this beautiful vessel.

8670625026_0db9dd0639_c.jpg
IMAG0310 by rlibbert, on Flickr

How about the Halman 20...both cute and ugly.

Mostly ugly.

Hey, Gatekeeper. I think 'ugly cute' is a fair enough description. Looks a 'folksy' kind of boat in a nordic kind of way. In fact she looks a lot like the Nordic 20. A bit too much sheer spring for my liking, but maybe that's accentuated by the bull-nosed deck joint.

The Nordica 20 and Halman 20 are DAMN hard to distinguish. Another example of the incestuous nature of ontario boatbuilding in the 70s. Everybody was building everything everywhere, designed by damn near everybody, for anybody, and the design adoption was liberal and the concept borrowing was so shameless it would have made Congress say, "uh, whoa there, this is our neighbourhood."

Then you have Carl Alberg who was the alleycat of canadian designers. He scrawled lines for damn near everybody on both sides of the border and both coasts. Damn few designers can make the same claim.

Bayliner bucc 27.

Correct! And I just reread my post - it sounds snooty. Sorry about that. but -Damn- that thing is ugly in person. And missing half its standing rigging. I'm surprised the mast is still up. I guess I just don't understand why somebody bought that when there's an almost mint Cherubini Hunter 27 with AC and hot water for sale for $6000 two slips down.

(or... she)

yes it is.. strangely, Francis Chichester wasn't complimentary of her sailing characteristics. She had some modifications in Sydney done to her keel on her stopover. She also received a new set of sheet winches in Sydney made by a relatively new company called Barlow Winches. He spoke very highly of them which helped their sales.

That's a bit of Trivial pursuit stuff......

Bayliner bucc 27.

Whoa guys. This boat aint so bad. I'm mean, it's not fucking horrible is it? Nice enough cabin lines. The raised deck I don't admire, but with a decent clean up and paint job, she could look respectable enough, surely. What EXACTLY don't you like about her?

yes it is.. strangely, Francis Chichester wasn't complimentary of her sailing characteristics. She had some modifications in Sydney done to her keel on her stopover. She also received a new set of sheet winches in Sydney made by a relatively new company called Barlow Winches. He spoke very highly of them which helped their sales.

That's a bit of Trivial pursuit stuff......

When complaining (as he regularly did) of her sailing (in particular, her steering) characteristics, Chichester invariably failed to mention his specific instructions to the designer. In particular, a full-style keel with attached rudder, beginning some 18" above the bottom of the keel, causing the rudder to be woefully inadequate to maintain a course. This was to avoid the rudder being carried away through hitting something (including your average reef).

When this design atrocity was rectified in Sydney, Chichester had not a good word to say about the shipwrights who assisted him without charge.

His departure from Australia was warmly received.

Bayliner bucc 27.

Whoa guys. This boat aint so bad. I'm mean, it's not fucking horrible is it? Nice enough cabin lines. The raised deck I don't admire, but with a decent clean up and paint job, she could look respectable enough, surely. What EXACTLY don't you like about her?

I suppose it's not that bad, although it is so slabbed sided it looks like she was carved from a lump of 4 by 2.

... and the droopy tiller; well it's not a good look.

I totally agree Crash, and said that I don't think the boat was ugly at all. It was more here because of this specific boats special extras...

Sorry Red,

I wasn't trying to imply you thought the Typhoon was ugly...intent was only to comment on the attractiveness of the original with its fractional sloop rig.

Crash

Guess just what showed up at my Marina. Now we're not classy, but there have to be -some- standards... Not really even sure how it made it there, but seeing how he's bow first I'd guess it was a close thing. 12 points if you can identify this beautiful vessel.

8670625026_0db9dd0639_c.jpg

IMAG0310 by rlibbert, on Flickr

A structural feature that is hard to make good looking is a hull/deck joint that is below the sheer. You see this mostly on inexpensive boats, but sometimes with good builders like Contest. I have assumed that it's an economy feature. I think all Catalinas are built that way, but they have worked out a way to put the joint behind a rubrail just below the sheer, so the tumblehome (required for mold release) isn't very noticeable.

To my eye, the Seafarer 30 is ruined by this feature. Without it, it would a nice McCurdy & Rhodes design:

post-5724-0-96488600-1366636281_thumb.jpg

Bayliner bucc 27.

I suppose it's not that bad, although it is so slabbed sided it looks like she was carved from a lump of 4 by 2.

... and the droopy tiller; well it's not a good look.

It looks like a camper trailer with a pointy front.

I agree with Tom, not a good idea to put a mast & sails on a motorboat. Prolly an even worse idea to put mast & sails on a camper trailer.

FB- Doug

Sorry, for some reason I cannot figure out how to insert images from a URL from the ipad.

Sorry, for some reason I cannot figure out how to insert images from a URL from the ipad.

Jeez, Blackj. Is that another everglades special?

Jeez, Blackj. Is that another everglades special?

For sale right here in the Great Northwet.

Here's a very sad Sun Fizz I saw in Guadeloupe. Note the tree growing in the cockpit.

mine010.jpgmine008.jpg

that's sad. But when I see stuff like that, I wonder how it's even floating. Is there so much gunk growing on the bottom that it's just stuck to the seabed?

He could not at least give it a cursory bath? It's really not that ugly, just an old venture that needs a bath.

You have to embed images the old fashioned way from an iPad.

(img)httpblahblahblah.jpg(/img), except using brackets instead of parenthesis.

Here's a very sad Sun Fizz I saw in Guadeloupe. Note the tree growing in the cockpit.mine010.jpgmine008.jpg

I admire the tenacity of plants.

And we really need a genuinely ugly boat to admire.

That boat definitely has the "water world" patina just right.

Nic...you're a genius!! I like that and I'm going steal it and claim it was my own idea :)

Best line brought to mind by the Bayliner

"where are your buccaneers ?"

"right here under my buc'in hat"

Obviously this pic was taken before 12:00 midnight - after which time Cinders' pumpkin turns into a golden coach. She's OK though. A bit of TLC and a glass slipper or two.

Hmmm.. are standards slipping? These are abused boats, not necessarily ugly boats. Money a hose could fix this kind of ugly. Real ugly is to the bone.

I dunno, a tree growing in the cockpit plus a budding reef ecosystem on the hull isn't going to wash off easily.

So many people think a hull is a boat... it's less than half a boat! What we have here is a long-neglected somewhat-watertight box that is pointy on one end. To turn it into a boat would require adding/building-in major components that would require approximately twice as much skilled labor as building a new boat.

FB- Doug "ruthless killer of romantic dreams since 1976"

Hmmm.. are standards slipping? These are abused boats, not necessarily ugly boats. Money a hose could fix this kind of ugly. Real ugly is to the bone.

I dunno, a tree growing in the cockpit plus a budding reef ecosystem on the hull isn't going to wash off easily.

So many people think a hull is a boat... it's less than half a boat! What we have here is a long-neglected somewhat-watertight box that is pointy on one end. To turn it into a boat would require adding/building-in major components that would require approximately twice as much skilled labor as building a new boat.

1976?

1976?

One has to start sooner or later

I picked sooner

Actually the sad thing is, to me 1976 doesn't seem all that long ago.

FB- Doug

for some reason, it reminds me of this:

Monogram%207503%20Flap%20Jack.JPG

Inspired, no doubt by the XF-85 Goblin, which actually flew.

McDonnell-XF-85-Goblin-Parasite-Jet-Figh

Man, those early "Jet Age" test pilots had cojones the size of beach balls.

I've been walking pass this little guy for a about a month and have felt a tinge of guilt every time I thought of submitting it to this thread. The thing is, I don't find this boat ugly, just maybe a little absurd. This tiny little boat is more tricked out than many 40' boats I've seen. Double headsails, (roller furling of course), full keel, bowsprit, wind generator, and finally a mizzen mast! I do admire this boat and its owner, who clearly loves it, but WOW! Does anyone know what it is? I've tried the Googles with no luck.

That reminds of of all those kids spending huge amounts of money "improving" cheap econoboxes instead of spending the money on a better car. That attitude is always with us - I can remember when I was a kid, lots of people had "hot rods" where the wheels were worth more than the car.

That little Cape Dory? is much the same mindset.

When I met Bill Garden and he had just built OCEANUS he drove the cheapest two door sedan, pale green Ford that money could buy. At that time it may have been the cheapest car you could buy in the US, early imports aside.

As a kid I remember thinking,"What an awful car. What an awsome boat."

When I met Bill Garden and he had just built OCEANUS he drove the cheapest two door sedan, pale green Ford that money could buy. At that time it may have been the cheapest car you could buy in the US, early imports aside.

As a kid I remember thinking,"What an awful car. What an awsome boat."

Your boat is WAY more important than your car!

All of a sudden, I fell good that the family car is 97 (family) Camry.

About two years ago we decided to "up grade", then we figured that all a newer car was going to do for us was be shinier, so I spent a Saturday cleaning and polishing the car, upgrade done!

Then it broke down, First was C.V. gone, well bugger.

Then the battery failed, I mean, why can't the battery last the life of the car? Oh yer, It's over 15 years old, might have something to do with it.

Then it needed new plug leads.

Well they say things come in threes, Car's good for another few years yet I say!

• Downvote 1

That hull actually looks kinda sweet, right up until you get to the bow.

The pilot house roof and windows look plain but good.

That cabin, though... Drunken exaggerations should be tossed out in the morning, not built.

That cabin, though... Drunken exaggerations should be tossed out in the morning, not built.

I think where it falls down for me is that it looks like it was made of three different boats.

The problem is, it probably has reasonable dimensions as viewed from inside with a 'powerboat perspective'.

Standing headroom under the pilot house roof

Good visibility from the driving position - you know, a wheel with dashboard at the front of the pilot house, with a nice tall pedestal chair.

Standing headroom below in the saloon, with nice big 'windows'

As the 'mast on a motorboat' genre goes, .... we've seen worse.

because those Buccs rarely sell for more than $1500

Bayliner bucc 27.

Correct! And I just reread my post - it sounds snooty. Sorry about that. but -Damn- that thing is ugly in person. And missing half its standing rigging. I'm surprised the mast is still up. I guess I just don't understand why somebody bought that when there's an almost mint Cherubini Hunter 27 with AC and hot water for sale for $6000 two slips down.

The gentleman's Mac26. Love that aspect ratio on the rig.

Rosie%2525202%2525281%252529.jpg

Not one but two masts on a motorboat! But it looks like they are sailing (extremely slowly) without the engine running and I actually like the boat. Possibly because it's carrying two small boats.

The gentleman's Mac26. Love that aspect ratio on the rig.

Rosie%2525202%2525281%252529.jpg

Not one but two masts on a motorboat! But it looks like they are sailing (extremely slowly) without the engine running and I actually like the boat. Possibly because it's carrying two small boats.

That's why it's for gentlemen....just look at that wake - see how it's side slipping in such low breeze?

It's a lovely home-built steel tri. The interesting part is the "foldable" amas allow it to fit in a normal sized slip. The less interesting: I don't remember what sized pate thickness was used but lets just be safe and say it's thicker than it really needs to be. By quite a bit. The rig is off an Ericsson 28. This boat should be in a commercial for Honda. It's powered by an outboard 8 that actually moves it at a relatively decent clip. Sailing isn't so quick.

Someone put an awful lot of time, effort, sweat and money into that. Many of these boats in this thread. I just can't imagine the thought processes though. In fact, it hurts to try but, hey, different strokes and all that....

Schnick:

The funny thing is that someties when I think about Eddie I have hard time remembering if was an orange deck on a blue hull or a blue deck on an orange hull.

Either way it doesn't work.

Thanks for the reminder.

BP was right, the old Eddie Haskell is one ugly J 24:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3778386680.html

attachicon.gifeddie.jpg

The ad says it has `rudder steering' ... well I'm glad of that.

Well sure... as opposed to all the other types of steering boats often have, rudder steering is the best kind.

FB- Doug

The blue one is uglier and from the waterline stain it appears to have been ass heavy, but having a waterline stain rules it out as a complete failure. Lots of failed metal boats never go in the water at all.

Everyone knows that three keels are better than one.

"I did not know that," he said, trying to sound as honest and naive as possible.

OK, I see your ugly metal boat and raise you an even uglier metal boat

I don't think that one looks bad at all.

It doesn't (or does) photograph well. In the flesh it is so so ungainly. Those bizarre bilge keels which look like mutant fins on the belly of a three eyed mutant manatee. Shudder...

Does this count? Kind of cute in a way.

I do like the Connestoga type top.

Jim Michalak design borrowing (with permission) Phil Bolger's insights about merging the inside and outside in boat accommodation. Keep in mind that Jim lives in Indiana (or is it Illinois?) and a lot of his designs are for protected water.

I like this one for the same reason I like the 1970's Ford Pinto in mint condition I see once in a while. It is not a thing of beauty, but is cared for by someone who takes some pride in their machine.

I like this one for the same reason I like the 1970's Ford Pinto in mint condition I see once in a while. It is not a thing of beauty, but is cared for by someone who takes some pride in their machine.

Maybe. But it's still butt ugly.

Pool noodle on the lifeline is a nice touch.

Jim Michalak design borrowing (with permission) Phil Bolger's insights about merging the inside and outside in boat accommodation. Keep in mind that Jim lives in Indiana (or is it Illinois?) and a lot of his designs are for protected water.

It looks like it might make a fine sled for the winter!

Someone cares about this boat. It looks very well taken care of. In the end it's all about getting out on the water and enjoying life!