Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

It's cute, in a way. So, how does adding a taller cabin improve the "frightfully unstable" problem?

It was self bailing back when it was tippy. I suspect it's not any more, allowing the owner's weight to be lower.

Oops, I see MrMoon already gave a more complete answer...

Uh oh. Owner just made first SA post over in Dinghy Anarchy...

Hmm... I've never seen his wife's tits. Should I wander over there?

I'm not going to give the traditional welcome. His wife might give me thump the next time I'm over there!

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

No trailer, no problem.  Just drill through the bilge keels and slide the axle right in. A couple of fittings from Harbor Freight and your off to the scrap yard!

Posted Images

The mast steps on the foredeck and the step is just out of view in that shot.

It would be great fun with a little outboard, I'd think. 10-20 hp or so.

Ha ha! I had lunch with the builder yesterday. 10-20 HP would be terrifying. The boat started out looking very different. However, as originally designed it was a terrible failure and frightfully unstable. He's been Frankenboating on it ever since to try to make it better. I think it looks like an old school Air Jordan high top..

The rig is from an old Escape sailboat.

Here it is in it's original form.

92604222950150954133.jpg

I was a little worried about this design when I first saw it. Just thought the weight was up too high. Hope it works out as the modding continues. And the Chinese Junk inspired creation is a riot!

That's really not a bad bridge addition to that sailboat, but they should have taken the masts off.

I'm going to have to go apologize to the builder for posting this, but it really has to go in this thread. I think it needs a Batboat paint job.

scottsbatboat.jpg

Needs a bigger engine.

I don't see any hint of rigging so why the leeboard?

and some Starsky and Hutch striping.

Yeah, I don't know anything about it, but I've been admiring it on my way to and from work for the last few months, and have been meaning to get a picture. I just noticed the little PVC discharge on the outside of the hull. That's a nice touch. I may have to stop again and take time to peek in the windows.

Has this made it here yet?

Sailing-Yacht-Maltese-Falcon.jpg

Say what you will about this behemoth, it's still impressive in person. Watching sail around the SF Bay while racing in a local regatta was great. Watching it tack upwind through Racoon Straits from the Corinthian Yacht Club aftter the race was truly amazing. Majestic. No sense of speed until you compared it with hight end race boats sailing nearby.

Maltese Falcon has been mentioned before and is still not ugly.

If you think that MF isn't ugly I suggest you sign up for a course in esthetics.

It's not ugly, it's fuckin' BUTT ugly - one of the worst abuses of mega money in recent history.

Anyone spending that sort of coin on a toy has a duty to society to make something beautiful.

Has this made it here yet?

Sailing-Yacht-Maltese-Falcon.jpg

Say what you will about this behemoth, it's still impressive in person. Watching sail around the SF Bay while racing in a local regatta was great. Watching it tack upwind through Racoon Straits from the Corinthian Yacht Club aftter the race was truly amazing. Majestic. No sense of speed until you compared it with hight end race boats sailing nearby.

This is a Mac 150 right? Does it plane?

I sail past this thing from time to time. Heck, I'm not even positive that it is a boat. Maybe "art?" Appears to be made of fiberglass. Just sits there on the beach.

DSC_0006_zps36ee16b4.jpg

BTW, I am lead to believe that that area is the designated "nude beach." Nothing to be observed on this passage though.

The mast steps on the foredeck and the step is just out of view in that shot.

It would be great fun with a little outboard, I'd think. 10-20 hp or so.

Ha ha! I had lunch with the builder yesterday. 10-20 HP would be terrifying. The boat started out looking very different. However, as originally designed it was a terrible failure and frightfully unstable. He's been Frankenboating on it ever since to try to make it better. I think it looks like an old school Air Jordan high top..

The rig is from an old Escape sailboat.

Replace lee boards with foil. Remove mast. Add windscreen. Replace motor with 10-20hp. Move to coolboat thread.

Here it is in it's original form.

92604222950150954133.jpg

I was a little worried about this design when I first saw it. Just thought the weight was up too high. Hope it works out as the modding continues. And the Chinese Junk inspired creation is a riot!

Since Mr. Wintedr either lacks the stomach (or has the good taste not) to post this, I introduce the Buckler Buccaneer:

oldub.jpg

heyday.jpg

oldsails.jpg

Why is it so many aesthetically challenged boats are called Buccaneers?

That's a powerful statement of ugliness.

In the spirit of this thread, I looked hard for something to admire. It occurred to me that the view must be nice from inside those giant aft cabin windows. As long as no one goes by with a giant mirror.

I admit, I am having a difficult time finding anything to admire as well. It is Fugly. That layout and that sailplan is unnecessarily fussy, all affectation with no effect. I'm typing this aboard a 23' boat with full headroom and accomodation for four with a breeze flowing through- I couldn't do that aboard a Buckler, at the same LOA.

Ugliness with no improvement in function= fugly.

A couple from our local marina...

I know we don't like stink pots on this thread, but...

1001100_641076710756_389922690_n.jpg

What the HELL is that fender up front doing?!

Every time I see this thing, I can't help but think WHY?!

1187021_641076720736_494402641_n.jpg

And a final..not quite sure this should be here or CBTA thread..

1174901_641076725726_1785861469_n.jpg

For what its worth, that thing had sailed to HI and back a few times!

A couple from our local marina...

I know we don't like stink pots on this thread, but...

1001100_641076710756_389922690_n.jpg

What the HELL is that fender up front doing?!

And a final..not quite sure this should be here or CBTA thread..

1174901_641076725726_1785861469_n.jpg

For what its worth, that thing had sailed to HI and back a few times!

Not sure what is up with that fender. I'm going to guess laziness. Not that I think it is good looking, but I find that the later model sunbridges look worse, all the rounded running shoe curves do nothing for me.

That second boat is just awkward. Looks like someone grafted the cabin from a Vega on to a smaller boat. The hull lines look forced on it too.

The last boat I think should go on the coolboat thread. Looks like a very capable, well built offshore cruiser.

The second boat looks British - 'nuff said. The steeler looks like a Reve D'Antilles - good enough to make it into one of Beiser's books. Personally, I can't think of any flush deck boat I've ever seen that I would call ugly.

Now there's a challenge.

.... Personally, I can't think of any flush deck boat I've ever seen that I would call ugly.

Now there's a challenge.

First thing that leaps to mind is the AMF 2100... design credited to Ted Hood IIRC

1539_149_70.jpg

main.jpg

320_1980-AMF-2100-Sailboat-full-sails-ma

This is a boat I'd really like to like, a friend had one and it was more practical than most trailerable racer-cruisers. From some angles, it's actually nice looking

AMF2100.jpg

I think the "buccaneer" and ugly boats connection is due to the fact that most people who like pirate-y looks don't care much about real sailing and don't know much about how real sailboats look (or looked, historically). It's a matter of marketing and design priorities.

FB- Doug

The second boat looks British - 'nuff said. The steeler looks like a Reve D'Antilles - good enough to make it into one of Beiser's books. Personally, I can't think of any flush deck boat I've ever seen that I would call ugly.

Now there's a challenge.

I've always found the Moore not pretty...

527031_603374376352089_1944696566_n.jpg

AND I OWN ONE!

Now there's a challenge.

AND I OWN ONE!

You would be wrong.

I would imagine someone was trying to design something close to standing headroom. Probably only works for dwarfs though. I hope that the forward hatch gives gentlemen the opportunity to stand up while having a piss.

I agree; the boat above missed the mark..

but it does remind me of a New Zealander Des Townson's designs. His boats had unique lines but they always worked for me..

post-14496-0-91400800-1377029814_thumb.jpg

post-14496-0-08520800-1377029831_thumb.jpg

post-14496-0-89474500-1377029846_thumb.jpg

post-14496-0-65387800-1377029876_thumb.jpg

Tricky:

I don't mind the little boat at all.

I love the contours of the Townsend design's cabin top. Look how it rolls over as it goes aft. I see the same house top contour in the little boat. I'd prefer that bigger boat without the reverse transom but it's a fine looking boat.

.... Personally, I can't think of any flush deck boat I've ever seen that I would call ugly.

Now there's a challenge.

First thing that leaps to mind is the AMF 2100... design credited to Ted Hood IIRC

1539_149_70.jpg

main.jpg

This is a boat I'd really like to like, a friend had one and it was more practical than most trailerable racer-cruisers. From some angles, it's actually nice looking

AMF2100.jpg

I think the "buccaneer" and ugly boats connection is due to the fact that most people who like pirate-y looks don't care much about real sailing and don't know much about how real sailboats look (or looked, historically). It's a matter of marketing and design priorities.

FB- Doug

Looks like a little Pearson Flyer. Not bad looking at all when it's in the water.

Now there's a challenge.

AND I OWN ONE!

Hogged sheer - that'll do it every time.

Now there's a challenge.

1539_149_70.jpg

main.jpg

AMF2100.jpg

FB- Doug

Looks like a little Pearson Flyer. Not bad looking at all when it's in the water.

Looks a bit in the way when it's on my boat stands in my driveway. If anyone wants this one, it could probably be bought pretty cheap.

amf-2100-on-stands.jpg

Amphibiette. This ply 24-footer was the smallest of the Controversy line back when they were the largest production sailboat builder in the US.

I should say I posted this to show reverse sheer looks good, not as an ugly boat, but back in 1960 or so, a lot of people didn't like her looks at all.

From http://www.boneyardboats.com/default.aspx.

1956_CONTROVERSY_AMPHIBIETTE_24_003.jpg

I think the Moore 24 is good looking from almost any angle.

Woefully uncomfortable but hey it's better than a J24 or a Thistle and the reverse shear has nothing to do with that.

Tricky, what is that last photo you posted; "ala-4" ??

That is one of the coolest looking boats I've ever seen!

FB- Doug

Kim:

Pretty sure that RAGTIME has a subtle reverse to the sheer.

If the sheer is a straight line, any small angle of heel will make it looked like it has traditional sheer spring, from the leeward side. That shot of RAGTIME taken from the weather side is deceptive and could be showing a straight line sheer.

We need a profile drawing of RAGTIME.

OK, I found the sail plan of RAGTIME and yes, the sheer is reversed. Not much though.

I think the Moore 24 is good looking from almost any angle.

Woefully uncomfortable but hey it's better than a J24 or a Thistle and the reverse shear has nothing to do with that.

Tricky, what is that last photo you posted; "ala-4" ??

That is one of the coolest looking boats I've ever seen!

FB- Doug

I found that on a proa forum called proafiles... figures.

Here is a cut and paste from a poster. I think he explains the designer's ideas quite well.

This is another one of my ideas.

A couple of years ago i got really interested in Fredrik Ljungströms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrik_Ljungström ) invention, the Arch bow hull (i think one would call it), in swedish its called “cirkelbågsskrov”.

Its a cleverly designed hull, drawn with only a ruler and a divider.

Seen in profile the hull is made up with parts of a circle. It has a totally round keel-line, as every “line” is from a part of a arch. Every “line is drawn with a divider. People i have talked to (who sail this kind of boat), says that this kind of hull sails very good. They are very fast and moves very smoothly and calmly in waves. One did 11,7 knots with a waterline-lenght of only 5 meters.

This is actually where i got Phil Bolgers Advanced Sharpie from. An Advanced Sharpie is the logical result of trying to build an arc bow hull with plywood.

One does not have to use the resulting very large overhangs, as seen in the picture of the arch bow hull. I would use some type of scow bows instead. I will draw a vaka along this lines and post it here soon.

Just want to get this thread started.

Johannes.

Kim:

If the sheer is a straight line, any small angle of heel will make it looked like it has traditional sheer spring, from the leeward side. That shot of RAGTIME taken from the weather side is deceptive and could be showing a straight line sheer.

OK, I found the sail plan of RAGTIME and yes, the sheer is reversed. Not much though.

I imagine that a lot of ply boats have no sheer so they are easy to build....

On one site I found out that the Thunderbird has a level sheer (or no sheer?) and simply looks reverse the moment she heels.

Kim:

That's interesting, many years ago I visited her because I was seriously considering purchasing her. I did not notice the reverse sheer. Maybe I was too blown away by everything else about her. Very cool boat, glad she has fallen into some good hands.

Thunderbirds have straight line sheer which is not level.

Edit: I lied. There is a small amount of "normal" sheer.

Yes I stand corrected... I meant `straight' not `level'.

I was quoting another forum talking about Thunderbirds so I really don't know if it has a straight line sheer or not.

The boat as drawn in 2d does not exist in the real world. This is why I have over the years harped on the effect of planar and non planar sheer lines.

My two tonner HEATHER had a dead straight sheerline, no spring in either direction. But she never looked like she had a straight sheer.

Amphibiette. This ply 24-footer was the smallest of the Controversy line back when they were the largest production sailboat builder in the US.

I should say I posted this to show reverse sheer looks good, not as an ugly boat, but back in 1960 or so, a lot of people didn't like her looks at all.

From http://www.boneyardboats.com/default.aspx.

1956_CONTROVERSY_AMPHIBIETTE_24_003.jpg

They were right.

That's so true Bob. I have to explain that to people all the time. You never ever see the boat in a true planar view. Even if you were to stand with your eyes opposite the exact centroid of the boat in profile (which you can't easily do anyway) it would look different than the profile on paper since we see in 3D perspective and our eyes have an image focal length equivelant to about a 22mm lens. To draw good looking, fair lines in 2D or 3D you need to know what that line needs to do in all dimensions.

reverse sheers for consideration...

Is Ragtime really reverse, or does it just look like that in the photo (middle photo)?

That's the old John Spencer designed, Infidel isn't it? Wonderful to see her still around.

Definitely in the WRONG thread here.

post-76289-0-19131600-1377207430_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sailbydate

reverse sheers for consideration...

Is Ragtime really reverse, or does it just look like that in the photo (middle photo)?

That's the old John Spencer designed, Infidel isn't it? Wonderful to see her still around.

Definitely in the WRONG thread here.

+1

This boat was waaaay before it's time in 1964/65. Funny that racing keel boats are just getting chines now to get better speeds off the wind.

post-14496-0-95905700-1377208558.jpeg

Quite a load where those slings go around that sharp corner.

Keel profile looks a fair bit like Francis Lee's.

Hopefully those slings go over the chines at the bulkheads.

That is a newer keel than it's original so quite likely it's similar.

I found a great Sailing Anarchy thread started by Chris249 way back in 2004 on Kiwi John Spencer and this boat amongst others of his..

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=7335

Fuck it. I've been wanting to show this for months, but it's just to amazing not to pass on.

1016506_10200945858401859_196565019_n.jp

Self designed, obviously.

9976_10200784325683642_117816740_n.jpg

The boat is 10' on WL, 8' beam and displaces somewhere around 2,000 lbs half-load.

That one is kind'a cool - it's deliberately strange and playful. I doubt it was ever intended to be taken seriously, unlike so many boats on this thread.

It needs a new thread "Weirdboats"

It's really a piece of performance art, created for our amusement. It's been in the water exactly twice, and never sailed. He's still plugging away at building it, making it ever more elaborate and wonderfully weird.

It's only performance art if it actually performs, otherwise, it's a 3-D caricature. P.s. kudos to crazy

I really like how he bothered to design (or maybe after the fact) it all up in SolidWorks, and then to show it off he picks a view that could only be had in real life if you were a few feet underwater looking up at it.

I found a great Sailing Anarchy thread started by Chris249 way back in 2004 on Kiwi John Spencer and this boat amongst others of his..

Very interesting, Trickypig. Great to see the Cherubs there.

A mate and I raced his cherub with Tamaki Yacht Club, Auckland back in 1967, or thereabouts.

I recall one race in a screaming sou'wester - we were the only ones flying a kite on a tight reach to the top mark. Blitzed the fleet completely to the mark, but by the time we got the spinnaker off and stowed (about half a mile beyond the mark) things weren't looking so good.

Sometime later, we were sailing across to Rangitoto Island (in a storm!) and got pitch poled. Boat, including us eventually got washed ashore. The cherub was wrecked on rocks. The only thing we managed to salvage was the rudder and centre board, sadly. We had some explaining to do to our parents (who of course had warned us NOT to go sailing because of the weather forecast!)

I digress, but they were fun days!

Very interesting, Trickypig. Great to see the Cherubs there.

A mate and I raced his cherub with Tamaki Yacht Club, Auckland back in 1967, or thereabouts.

I recall one race in a screaming sou'wester - we were the only ones flying a kite on a tight reach to the top mark. Blitzed the fleet completely to the mark, but by the time we got the spinnaker off and stowed (about half a mile beyond the mark) things weren't looking so good.

Sometime later, we were sailing across to Rangitoto Island (in a storm!) and got pitch poled. Boat, including us eventually got washed ashore. The cherub was wrecked on rocks. The only thing we managed to salvage was the rudder and centre board, sadly. We had some explaining to do to our parents (who of course had warned us NOT to go sailing because of the weather forecast!)

I digress, but they were fun days!

Back then we would disappear for a day in our dinghies without protective adults in tenders following our every move.

1967!..shows how well the Cherubs have stood the test of time!! ;)

Fuck it. I've been wanting to show this for months, but it's just to amazing not to pass on.

1016506_10200945858401859_196565019_n.jp

Self designed, obviously.

9976_10200784325683642_117816740_n.jpg

The boat is 10' on WL, 8' beam and displaces somewhere around 2,000 lbs half-load.

That one is kind'a cool - it's deliberately strange and playful. I doubt it was ever intended to be taken seriously, unlike so many boats on this thread.

It needs a new thread "Weirdboats"

It's really a piece of performance art, created for our amusement. It's been in the water exactly twice, and never sailed. He's still plugging away at building it, making it ever more elaborate and wonderfully weird.

It's only performance art if it actually performs, otherwise, it's a 3-D caricature. P.s. kudos to crazy

I really like how he bothered to design (or maybe after the fact) it all up in SolidWorks, and then to show it off he picks a view that could only be had in real life if you were a few feet underwater looking up at it.

I know for a fact he did the design before building. I think it's a Sketchup drawing.

Here it is with the squaresails set.

1146635_10201295814550544_986205161_n.jp

It's just wonderful!

That's so true Bob. I have to explain that to people all the time. You never ever see the boat in a true planar view. Even if you were to stand with your eyes opposite the exact centroid of the boat in profile (which you can't easily do anyway) it would look different than the profile on paper since we see in 3D perspective and our eyes have an image focal length equivelant to about a 22mm lens. To draw good looking, fair lines in 2D or 3D you need to know what that line needs to do in all dimensions.

I had read somewhere that our eye equivalent to a 35 mm film camera was a 50 mm lens. Who knows? I switch back and forth with my camera lens setting in the Rhino settings depending on what I am working on. I rarely go down to a 28mm unless I'm doing an interior or perhaps a cockpit view. I'm using a just released plugin for Rhino3D by Octane that is great. I've been using the Octane standalone for Bob's Catari project and other work as well, but it is so nice to get an Octane window native in Rhino. For profiles. I usually use an orthographic camera, but that introduces just the sort of unreal view that you and Bob have just described. I'll use a 22 mm and take some views to contrast with the ortho on a current project that does happed to have a reverse sheer to illustrate.

Spotted in the marina last weekend:

T-bird hull?

august2013blogpics204_zps9b0abc9c.jpg

august2013blogpics201_zpsf055f5f3.jpg

Not sure what kind of hull that is, but I don't think its a t-bird. The chines on a bird are quite distinct, the transom is narrower. The bird also has more overhang aft, although that coukd be a weight issue.

On an unrelated note, regarding an unrelated boat, hey Tom Ray, what kinda O/Bs be these?

august2013blogpics197_zps133229dd.jpg

Never saw anything quite like those. They appear to be squished and nearly-sunk outboards. That port one's thrust looks like a jet drive. Some weird combination of the old OMC SeaDrive and a jet drive maybe?

I had read somewhere that our eye equivalent to a 35 mm film camera was a 50 mm lens.

I was dabbling in doing water colors, and since I'm totally unable to draw, I'd take/print a picture and trace it to get the basic proportions correct. I found that when I was taking the picture with my PowerShot A710, I would want to use the most wide angle I could, but when I painted those pictures, objects in the distance were much smaller than the natural appearance to the eye. I had to zoom in some to get what I expected.

I can tell you that the PowerShot lens zooms between 5.8mm and 34.8mm, but I can't tell you what spot in the middle is equivalent to 50mm on a 35mm camera. Depends on the sensor size, I guess.

Interesting product. Glad I don't have to try to sell it. Just a wild guess, but one of those 225 hp jet drives powered by a diesel engine is probably quite a bit more expensive than a competing Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, etc.

Its low emissions, low noise, low fuel consumption and low draft are just some of the advantages that make the JetPac™ outboard the best choice

I doubt there is any emissions/efficiency advantage, especially in miles per gallon, since a jet is not as efficient as a prop. Low noise? From a diesel? I would not invite a comparison to a Suzuki if I were them.

Low draft is unquestionably an advantage of jet drives, but it does come with drawbacks. As mentioned, the same horsepower through a prop will make you go faster. Also, a jet boat can run really hard aground, especially if planing, since no part of the engine extends below the hull. It took 8 people to free the boat when my neighbor did exactly that with a 14 footer. The deal-killer that ended my jet-boat ownership: a clump of seaweed on the intake grate can leave you with two choices, swim or get a tow home. I don't swim in cold water (defined as below 80 degrees) and I don't get operational boats towed home. I sold it before the water got cold.

Lancer 27 Powersailer

Lancer Powersailer.

Yachtworld listing with more pictures here: http://tinyurl.com/l2o6zan
Aside from the transom, the above LWL looks are not so bad, just sort of trying too hard to be different. However the transom, built for a heavy OB, is butt ugly. The underwater lines are flattened aft to promote good motorboat performance, and the bottom of the transom is submerged several inches.

Interesting product. Glad I don't have to try to sell it. Just a wild guess, but one of those 225 hp jet drives powered by a diesel engine is probably quite a bit more expensive than a competing Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, etc.

Its low emissions, low noise, low fuel consumption and low draft are just some of the advantages that make the JetPac™ outboard the best choice

I doubt there is any emissions/efficiency advantage, especially in miles per gallon, since a jet is not as efficient as a prop. Low noise? From a diesel? I would not invite a comparison to a Suzuki if I were them.

Low draft is unquestionably an advantage of jet drives, but it does come with drawbacks. As mentioned, the same horsepower through a prop will make you go faster. Also, a jet boat can run really hard aground, especially if planing, since no part of the engine extends below the hull. It took 8 people to free the boat when my neighbor did exactly that with a 14 footer. The deal-killer that ended my jet-boat ownership: a clump of seaweed on the intake grate can leave you with two choices, swim or get a tow home. I don't swim in cold water (defined as below 80 degrees) and I don't get operational boats towed home. I sold it before the water got cold.

My one experience with these was on a small cruise ship that had a lot of diving and also a landing craft they could beach. The crew said it kept things safer and simple since they did not have to store gass and could use the same fuel suply as the mother ship.

My one experience with these was on a small cruise ship that had a lot of diving and also a landing craft they could beach. The crew said it kept things safer and simple since they did not have to store gass and could use the same fuel suply as the mother ship.

This is the reason that, if I could find a small diesel outboard that performed well, I'd consider getting one.

That makes a lot of sense, Jets are safer for divers. You can beach them but they do suck stuff up from the bottom that can wear the impeller and clog the cooling system. The good news is, it's a pretty tough impeller and you don't need a separate one for cooling when you have a jet pump. No drive system really likes beaching.

Ugly diesel jet outboard admiration. Who'd have thought?

Lancer 27 Powersailer

Aside from the transom, the above LWL looks are not so bad, just sort of trying too hard to be different. However the transom, built for a heavy OB, is butt ugly. The underwater lines are flattened aft to promote good motorboat performance, and the bottom of the transom is submerged several inches.

The grandaddy of the mac26x?

I've never seen one before.

HWSNBN's fathers boat?

Lancer 27 Powersailer

The grandaddy of the mac26x?

I've never seen one before.

HWSNBN's fathers boat?

Don't go there.... please don't go there. The hijack will go for pages.

Lancer 27 Powersailer

It has some funky two-part fixed trim tabs on the transom. It probably needs real hydraulic ones. The transom bottom should generally line up with the cavitation plate. This setup has several inches of engine submerged that should not be. It looks like the water would hit it right where the shift rod opening is. If it managed to plane, the spray from that area would be quite impressive. I'd love to see what happens if you open up that engine. It's gotta be ugly.

lancer27stern.jpg

Is that OB really 116 HP?

I was thinking of blaming the Lancer for the Mac26 when I wrote the original post, but I'm not sure the time frame would support it. Besides the Roger Macgreagor's line of thinking seems seems pretty continuous. He didn't need outside inspiration.

The Lancers were designed by Herb David according to SailBoatData.com.

For all the nasty comments, the boat has a better looking keel than my Hunter.