Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

It's a one off ior quarter tonner from 1974, built and designed by Ronnie Stoner. I kid you not, it's listed as a stoner 25. It's in New Orleans and we got it for free after Katrina with cosmetic damage. The design itself could be considered cosmetic damage from some angles, but she's fun to sail. Lots of room below but nothing down there to utilize it with. Very unstable boat, hence seven people. Her name is Girl.

Bob P, I'm thinking about puting a plumb bow on her. Any opinion?

I kid, I kid... ;)

I think Stoner did a MORC boat of the same size that Ed Baird drove to a Kahlua cup victory in the MORC class around 78-79. It was owned by Don Gray, recent owner of the Warrior's Wish he loaned to Ronnie of recently completed Transpac in '11 or '12.

Acme Zoo was the name of the boat Don owned.

I looked AZ up. Cool stories there.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19760412&id=eqRjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UV0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6726,2872457

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19751004&id=lN1QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SF8DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5992,2879676

Also found this red boat. I've never seen another boat by Stoner.

The one we have is very competitive.

I know, not exactly Ugly boat stuff, but not pretty boat stuff either.

post-1246-0-56062400-1381352426_thumb.jpg

post-1246-0-42951300-1381352436_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

No trailer, no problem.  Just drill through the bilge keels and slide the axle right in. A couple of fittings from Harbor Freight and your off to the scrap yard!

Posted Images

It's a one off ior quarter tonner from 1974, built and designed by Ronnie Stoner. I kid you not, it's listed as a stoner 25. It's in New Orleans and we got it for free after Katrina with cosmetic damage. The design itself could be considered cosmetic damage from some angles, but she's fun to sail. Lots of room below but nothing down there to utilize it with. Very unstable boat, hence seven people. Her name is Girl.

Bob P, I'm thinking about puting a plumb bow on her. Any opinion?

I kid, I kid... ;)

I think Stoner did a MORC boat of the same size that Ed Baird drove to a Kahlua cup victory in the MORC class around 78-79. It was owned by Don Gray, recent owner of the Warrior's Wish he loaned to Ronnie of recently completed Transpac in '11 or '12.

Acme Zoo was the name of the boat Don owned.

I looked AZ up. Cool stories there.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19760412&id=eqRjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UV0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6726,2872457

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19751004&id=lN1QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SF8DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5992,2879676

Also found this red boat. I've never seen another boat by Stoner.

The one we have is very competitive.

I know, not exactly Ugly boat stuff, but not pretty boat stuff either.

attachicon.gifphoto (4).JPG

attachicon.gifphoto (3).JPG

That some ugly design work with the colors and graphics,... makes it hard to see the boat.

The second article you linked to above mentions Traveller. I was a high school kid helping on the bow. We pulled a 2 that race but won the season series. I've mentioned her before, 1/2 tonner, gray, lifting keel and bilge boards.

There was one of those around here back in the day. Had an "Imp" paint job in blue. It came from that short period in the IOR when some boats had chines at the aft end to try & tweak the girth measurements.

Apparently they don't photograph well - it looked a lot better in person than in that pic.

WTF?!

Ok, words fail me.

I....I....I....I................... :blink:. WTF is right!

A French offshore multihull sailor watches a Thomas The Tank Engine video while aboard a Mac 26X, goes to sleep and dreams....

...et voila!

Don't know anything about this boat, it's just a pic I had in my archives that I thought perhaps could find a home here.

2009-11-14173236_zps08446b13.jpg

Irwin half tonner init?

It looks like it just ate a smaller boat and is resting while it's digesting its prey.

Semi -

I think you'll find that it was a retro fit to a OB. I think they were standard with a diesel. Maybe one of those 1 or 2 lunger monsters like a Farymann or of the ilk that were popular in the day. No wonder it ended up with a OB.

attachicon.gifKer40.jpg

Here's a modern one. I know they were trying to attack the rules measuring system by doing this, but it's so fugly that it's beyond redemption. I don't care if it's the fastest Classe 40 ever.

From the "Slip on shoe" school of yacht design.

That is so true Ish. A few swipes of my pencil would have helped that project a lot. I can't understand the lure of ugly. That designer seems to have ugly well in hand. But, that said, I bet the owner rows away in the morning, looks back and says, "What a beauty." Then rows around it one more time just to admire it from every angle.

OK, I am going to go waaay out on a limb here and say that the Brent Swain "Dove IV" is a very workmanlike boat that could probably make its owner pretty snug and safe on a winter passage up to Desolation Sound, the Queen Charlottes, etc. Pretty...not really..but it will find lots of adherents in the same way some people love a Jeep.

Edit: not sure about the red paint job though...

From the "ugly is functional" school of yacht design:

4479893_20131004171001174_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

We've seen him here before...it's really too bad so much time and effort went into producing this.

No way. Has Brent Swain really posted on SA? I can't see him having cajones that big.

(PS - Jeeps are way cooler than that thing. Edsel. Okay.)

I've seen that boat in person. Except for the red paint it looks better than in pictures. Very workboat looking. No beauty but has a kind of "Thomas the tank engine" appeal.

We've seen him here before...it's really too bad so much time and effort went into producing this.

No way. Has Brent Swain really posted on SA? I can't see him having cajones that big.

(PS - Jeeps are way cooler than that thing. Edsel. Okay.)

From what I've seen on line, Mr Swain is pretty outspoken and ready to defend his point of view. And why not?

attachicon.gifKer40.jpg

Here's a modern one. I know they were trying to attack the rules measuring system by doing this, but it's so fugly that it's beyond redemption. I don't care if it's the fastest Classe 40 ever.

I don't know. If it's the fastest Class 40 EVER, I could get used to it.

I assume that's the leeward rudder sticking out the back.... The rules allow you to sail with just one rudder?

4479893_20131010165218406_3_XLARGE.jpg&w

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2002/Brent-Swain-36-ft-custom-built-2655293/Nanaimo/Canada#.UleFahC4GaI

A different colour scheme would do wonders for that boat's appearance.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2002/Brent-Swain-36-ft-custom-built-2655293/Nanaimo/Canada#.UleFahC4GaI

I'm not sure you can get paint in "transparent".

I've seen that boat in person. Except for the red paint it looks better than in pictures. Very workboat looking. No beauty but has a kind of "Thomas the tank engine" appeal.

I think that comes through in the pics and I like the boat's utilitarian focus. It doesn't look that good for tropical waters and I don't care for the mast furler thingy but if it means he uses his mainsail instead of not using it, it's an upgrade for him.

And only 56 grand too! Where's my cheque book?

It's not exactly red either. Purplish crimson? I guess Cloverdale Paint was having remnant sail.

There was one of those around here back in the day. Had an "Imp" paint job in blue. It came from that short period in the IOR when some boats had chines at the aft end to try & tweak the girth measurements.

Apparently they don't photograph well - it looked a lot better in person than in that pic.

It was a blue Imp colour scheme not green. Yellow doesn't help it at all. It was owned by the Irwin dealer and probably had to buy it. Next owner was Jason Preistley's dad. He had it for a few years then it sort disappeared and languished away like a lot of old "race" do.

That looks very reminiscent of the boat that capsized in the Mac race a couple of years ago. It ain't the future except in a very limited way - maybe.

I struggle with my puny knowledge to know how such a design might go in a dynamic environment.

I guess it might give a bit of initial stability (especially as i assume the ballast tanks are in the wings) but render it with multi levels of self righting ability. But are you just meant to sail it like an OVNI, pull the board in big waves and slide off? Would those wings then grab?

For me, at least in some angles it gets less ugly the more i see it.

I wonder if people will still admire it and lust after it and pay big $ for it in 50 years like they do with B40's.

I know I won't - I'd rather have a B40 now (all else being equal).

Oh, wait - I won't even BE here in 50 years.

Nevermind.

That thing is a survivor. A 1969 wooden boat? I know they can last much longer, but generally the ones that do have... um... more reasons someone would take the trouble to keep them around.

I like the shape from the waterline down, all except that rudder. But at least the rudder is completely external and thus easy to maintain.

3 cabins in a 34', lifting keel, water balast, deck space to rival a trimaran, plenty to admire here.

From every angle it looks challenging, is this the future of mono sailboat design?

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/duncanson-34/136407

Really not sure if its the future of mono sailboat design and reminds me of the New Magic Breeze:

General

GRP one-off Dick Zaal Ocean Vamp "New Magic Breeze", dim.: 13,70 (lwl approx. 12,00) x 5,01 x 1,12/2,60 mtrs, built in 1988 by Frans Maas/Standfast Yachts, The Netherlands, headway approx. 20 mtrs, grp hull, deck and superstructure, shallow draft flat hull with centreboard (hydraulically operated) waterballast (600 ltrs) and "lifting-body", twin rudders, retractable bow dagger-board, displacement: approx. 8 tonnes, ballast (keel): approx. 1,6 tonnes + waterballast 600 ltrs in wingtanks, fueltank: ltrs, watertank: ltrs, Whitlock mechanical wheelsteering and emergency tiller.

It was build in 1988 with the Ostar in mind.

The hopes and expectations for the boat were very high but after the skipper was given a pretty severe beating by the boat in not that bad weather it was, to my knowledge, never inscribed in a relevant race again.

I,ve seen it planing by though in flat water on a broad reach and that looked pretty spectacular at the time.

post-50708-0-29566300-1381918393_thumb.jpg

post-50708-0-50581500-1381918420_thumb.jpg

post-50708-0-23738000-1381918464_thumb.jpg

post-50708-0-20576900-1381918481_thumb.jpg

The hopes and expectations for the boat were very high but after the skipper was given a pretty severe beating by the boat in not that bad weather...

Gee, ya think? Ignore the mast and try to imagine it is a powerboat. Now imagine planing through seas. I imagine bad things happening. The mast won't make it immune to those bad things.

I like the funny little bow centerboard thing.

Another version of the future as it once was

post-38-0-85805100-1381924719_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-27233200-1381924733_thumb.jpg

Hard to tell if the boat actually worked - not helped by Harriet Marwood also being an S&M novelist!

Lots of special pleading below.

"

Designers Comments on Collins Tandem Keel

Directional Stability

Because the two vertical surfaces of the Tandem Keel extend the keel area fore and aft, directional stability is significantly enhanced. On longer passages in particular, this reduces the load on the helmsman or the self-steering system. Direction stability is further improved by the superior stall-resistance of the Tandem Keel.

Stall-Resistance

Stall on the keel, sail or aerofoil occurs when the flow breaks away from the surface of the foil. This generates turbulence and a sudden, significant loss of efficiency. The Tandem Keel is much more stall-resistant than any single keel. Typically, most single keels stall at approximately 12 degrees of leeway. Against this, the main foil of the Tandem Keel remains uninstalled up to 30 degrees of leeway.

Improved control in a seaway

The greatly enhanced stall-resistance of the Tandem Keel means that the yacht responds more predictably to strong wind gusts or large waves.

3 cabins in a 34', lifting keel, water balast, deck space to rival a trimaran, plenty to admire here.

From every angle it looks challenging, is this the future of mono sailboat design?

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/duncanson-34/136407

Really not sure if its the future of mono sailboat design and reminds me of the New Magic Breeze:

General

GRP one-off Dick Zaal Ocean Vamp "New Magic Breeze", dim.: 13,70 (lwl approx. 12,00) x 5,01 x 1,12/2,60 mtrs, built in 1988 by Frans Maas/Standfast Yachts, The Netherlands, headway approx. 20 mtrs, grp hull, deck and superstructure, shallow draft flat hull with centreboard (hydraulically operated) waterballast (600 ltrs) and "lifting-body", twin rudders, retractable bow dagger-board, displacement: approx. 8 tonnes, ballast (keel): approx. 1,6 tonnes + waterballast 600 ltrs in wingtanks, fueltank: ltrs, watertank: ltrs, Whitlock mechanical wheelsteering and emergency tiller.

The hopes and expectations for the boat were very high but after the skipper was given a pretty severe beating by the boat in not that bad weather it was, to my knowledge, never inscribed in a relevant race again.

I,ve seen it planing by though in flat water on a broad reach and that looked pretty spectacular at the time.

THis boat reminds of the time when we thought we'd have moon colonies and flying cars. The future used to be a lot cooler than it is now.

The biggest problem with a hull shaped like this is that as the sea state builds up, it either needs to get more airborn or more submerged. Either retractable foils or water ballast!

FB- Doug

Another version of the future as it once was

attachicon.gifharriet 1.jpg

attachicon.gifharriet 2.jpg

Hard to tell if the boat actually worked - not helped by Harriet Marwood also being an S&M novelist!

Lots of special pleading below.

"

Designers Comments on Collins Tandem Keel

Directional Stability

Because the two vertical surfaces of the Tandem Keel extend the keel area fore and aft, directional stability is significantly enhanced. On longer passages in particular, this reduces the load on the helmsman or the self-steering system. Direction stability is further improved by the superior stall-resistance of the Tandem Keel.

Stall-Resistance

Stall on the keel, sail or aerofoil occurs when the flow breaks away from the surface of the foil. This generates turbulence and a sudden, significant loss of efficiency. The Tandem Keel is much more stall-resistant than any single keel. Typically, most single keels stall at approximately 12 degrees of leeway. Against this, the main foil of the Tandem Keel remains uninstalled up to 30 degrees of leeway.

Improved control in a seaway

The greatly enhanced stall-resistance of the Tandem Keel means that the yacht responds more predictably to strong wind gusts or large waves.

Had a charterboat in the BVI with a keel much like that - a Harmony 47. Didn't know about it until I had to dive under the boat. It behaved like any fin keel in light wind.

But thats because the tandem keel remains uninstalled until you are practically going sideways- you need to install it before this in order for its superior characteristics to manifest. I'm surprised the designer didn't see this.

But thats because the tandem keel remains uninstalled until you are practically going sideways- you need to install it before this in order for its superior characteristics to manifest. I'm surprised the designer didn't see this.

Is the boat using Windows or Apple OS? Installing tandem keel shouldn't really be all that difficult if you kept the system disk

FB- Doug

I don't know tandem keels, but they had similar attempts with windsurfing fins - with small 'fore-fins' right up to equal-size 'twin-fins'. They were all slow, but some allowed you to land small jumps from chop very poorly and still sail away without 'spinning out'.

Or you just learn to land right...

Somehow I don't see this as relevant for a keelboat, where 'bump & jump' operations are best avoided.

As for GRP...

Holy Mother of God, what was seen cannot BE unseen !

Now THAT is a strange-looking craft. No scale test ? Just blind "This will work." enthusiasm must have fueled that build. Just like Team Philips.

There are new models with versions of the tandem keel. It was tried on AC boats years ago. I recall one keel expert telling he you needed at least 7 times the chord length distance between the two fins to make it work. That's a big gap. If not the aft fin is always sailing in dirty flow of the forward fin. It was a very good way to support a long bulb.

Fugu:

I suppose trhe bow flare is to get a dry bow and some deck area forward. But it's a slow shape, It's not exactly "wave piercing".

Don't know about the amidships flare. Could be water ballast tanks. Could just be form stability but that's a lot of drag when heeled. Can't really say.

The decor is been stolen by a chinese food joint.

Er....on opium. :blink:

i am a kinda multihull guy, but then someone had the bad taste to add some horrendous cabin augmentation to this otherwise nice little trimaran, and the result is

$T2eC16hHJIEFHS7QmPECBSWc4vPUMg~~48_20.J

General

Weird.

Whats with the dagger board at the bow?

post-35716-0-01912500-1381969157_thumb.jpg

i am a kinda multihull guy, but then someone had the bad taste to add some horrendous cabin augmentation to this otherwise nice little trimaran, and the result is

Wrong thread. I really see nothing at all to admire.

I just checked again. Nothing.

General

Weird.

Whats with the dagger board at the bow?

attachicon.gifPicture1.jpg

To compensate/overcome rudder deflection when using big headsails.

Wrong thread. I really see nothing at all to admire.

I just checked again. Nothing.

I tried to find something to admire, I really did. I stared at it for at least 15 minutes but could not.

So I'll Quote Tom from the Craigslist thread "Beauty is in the eye of the beheader. Knock the top back off that thing!"

g2.jpg

project info:

architect: zaha hadid design
design: zaha hadid, patrik schumacher
design team: thomas vietzke, jens borstelmann, daniel widrig, sofia daniilidou, ben grubert, phillip mecke, patrick euler
naval engineering: michael von der heide, thomas sperling
L.O.A.: 90.0m (295 ft)
beam (max): 16.0m (52ft)
draught: 4.2m (13ft)
speed (max): 16.0 kn
cruising speed: 14.0kn
range: 5000mm
class: lloyd’s register
propulsion: 2×2160 kw, diesel via gearbox to, fixed prop
manoeuvring system: 1 x bow thruster

http://www.designboom.com/design/zaha-hadid-designs-128m-superyacht-for-blohm-voss-10-15-2013/

g2.jpg

project info:

design team: thomas vietzke, jens borstelmann, daniel widrig, sofia daniilidou, ben grubert, phillip mecke, patrick euler

http://www.designboom.com/design/zaha-hadid-designs-128m-superyacht-for-blohm-voss-10-15-2013/

There was one comment on that link and I think it said it all.

• Appropriate. Wretched excess in design meets wretched excess in life.

Here's an idea! Let's take caul fat and wrap it around a multi-million dollar yacht!:

Caul-Fat.jpg

g2.jpg

project info:

I remember my first year in Architecture school, our very first studio project was to design a kite. The only criteria for judging was that it must fly. There were a variety of strange exotic and beautiful creations produced but fly they did not, so they failed, that was lesson # 1. Zaha Hadid has done very well designing beautiful kites that don’t fly but some that do.

I don't know how to rate this one

4th_of_july_peace_horse.JPG

I'd rate this at one horse power

<p>

g2.jpg project info: architect: zaha hadid designdesign: zaha hadid, patrik schumacherdesign team: thomas vietzke, jens borstelmann, daniel widrig, sofia daniilidou, ben grubert, phillip mecke, patrick eulernaval engineering: michael von der heide, thomas sperlingL.O.A.: 90.0m (295 ft)beam (max): 16.0m (52ft)draught: 4.2m (13ft)speed (max): 16.0 kncruising speed: 14.0knrange: 5000mmclass: lloyds registerpropulsion: 2×2160 kw, diesel via gearbox to, fixed propmanoeuvring system: 1 x bow thruster http://www.designboom.com/design/zaha-hadid-designs-128m-superyacht-for-blohm-voss-10-15-2013/

I was just going to say no.

I didn't realize Clive Barker had that kind of money. Thanks Computers for making that kind of ugly possible.

<p>

g2.jpgproject info: architect: zaha hadid designdesign: zaha hadid, patrik schumacherdesign team: thomas vietzke, jens borstelmann, daniel widrig, sofia daniilidou, ben grubert, phillip mecke, patrick eulernaval engineering: michael von der heide, thomas sperlingL.O.A.: 90.0m (295 ft)beam (max): 16.0m (52ft)draught: 4.2m (13ft)speed (max): 16.0 kncruising speed: 14.0knrange: 5000mmclass: lloyds registerpropulsion: 2×2160 kw, diesel via gearbox to, fixed propmanoeuvring system: 1 x bow thruster http://www.designboom.com/design/zaha-hadid-designs-128m-superyacht-for-blohm-voss-10-15-2013/

I was just going to say no.

Well I have a new entry for the panel to consider.

It is just wrong somehow. So wrong.

attachicon.gifdigi48377393_l.jpg

Ugly yes, but sooo romantic.

But why no jacuzzi?

It would have a strong middle aged bachelor niche market....or frat house party on mum and dad's boat.

I grew up on inland lakes, and pontoon boats were the ubiquitous ride for the 'senior set' - seemed that half the cottages had one. They are slow, but very stable, and make great platforms for picnics, fishing, swimming or just the slow cruise around the lake to see what flowers the Smiths have this year. Back then, they were mostly made by starting with a bunch of 55 gal drums welded end to end, but they have gone much more upscale. This one's only sin is trying a bit too hard to look like some sort of raceboat with the styling of the arch/awning. Oh, and it probably has about twice as much engine as it can use too.

They are also useful for getting something to the shore in front of your cottage if your cottage sits on a steep bank.

post-5424-0-92835000-1382108717_thumb.jpg

g2.jpg

project info:

Looks like the offspring from the mating of a boat and a basketball shoe.

g2.jpg

project info:

Looks like the offspring from the mating of a boat and a basketball shoe.

Reminds me of the movie "Prometheus"

General

These things always remind of Frank Pong's maiden of Hong Kong. I wonder whatever became of her.

DCAB3C96464BE26880256F32004BC6F9_topl_1.

MaidenHK.jpg