Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

No trailer, no problem.  Just drill through the bilge keels and slide the axle right in. A couple of fittings from Harbor Freight and your off to the scrap yard!

Posted Images

I should have taken a picture of the other side of that boat. It's not like the "back" side shown. It has three nice, big windows with bright red trim around them and bamboo shades. The boat definitely has some character and probably is owned by quite a character.

shed-vessel-patience.jpg

What exactly is happening on the side decks from mid-ship forward...some kinda VOR high performance racing deck foil??

You mean the windsurf board just forward of the window unit air conditioner? That's about the most normal thing on the boat! ;)

thats just a surfboard, and thats just his growing shack, all for personal use of course

shed-vessel-patience.jpg

What exactly is happening on the side decks from mid-ship forward...some kinda VOR high performance racing deck foil??

You mean the windsurf board just forward of the window unit air conditioner? That's about the most normal thing on the boat! ;)

thats just a surfboard, and thats just his growing shack, all for personal use of course

I was guessing stand up paddle board, for the times when you want to go faster than the mothership...

I have a few sheds in my yard and I did order one with 8 foot high side walls so sheets of plywood and stuff could be leaned against the walls, so I am a fan of big, tall sheds in back yards.

But I live on land.

shed-vessel-patience.jpg

I think they call that a poop shed down in SW Fla. don't they?

Ice hut?

Ohhhhhhh,,,that's what that is.

I was thinking it looked like an outhouse on the poop deck.

That's not an ice hut. These are ice huts.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Those are Yuppie ice shacks (proper name)...once the lake fills in I'll post some pics of real ice shacks.

You know,,,,if he had radiused the top edge of that house and maybe given it some fore and aft curvature, then dropped the aft end about 2" and added a bit more rake to the forward end and painted a stripe,,,

Then he'd know where to cut with the sawzall.

You know,,,,if he had radiused the top edge of that house and maybe given it some fore and aft curvature, then dropped the aft end about 2" and added a bit more rake to the forward end and painted a stripe,,,

Does anyone recognize the hull? It looks sort of like a Hurley to me, but I really have no idea.

Actually, that poor little hull looks pretty good. It wasn't born a hunchback.

I have this fantacy that I am walkig down the dock, I've got a snootfull and I run into that boat with the owner puttering around on board.

Here's what I think I'd say to him,,,

Got to run and take the dog to the vet.

Semi:

Yes, it makes me want to hurl also.

That seems a little harsh to me, after all, it is economical, indestructible, floats when swamped, has a nice molded lapstrake effect, mounts an outboard... only issue is what it's tied up to. Oh, wait...

Semi:

That seems a little harsh to me, after all, it is economical, indestructible, floats when swamped, has a nice molded lapstrake effect, mounts an outboard... only issue is what it's tied up to. Oh, wait...

Tits?

Semi:

Tits?

Tits would certainly help...

I have a few sheds in my yard and I did order one with 8 foot high side walls so sheets of plywood and stuff could be leaned against the walls, so I am a fan of big, tall sheds in back yards.

But I live on land.

shed-vessel-patience.jpg

Do you reccon they have actually chopped away the old cockpit under that thing?

Mainsheet is positioned well but at least he has an elec OB !!

This ones a contender in the multi class. Talk about wedding cake, must have been a Greek wedding.

Check it out

it is somewhat fugly (haven't spotted a good looking piver yet) but to me it wins on practicality, it wouldn't be a bad boat to hang out on.

kinda like it's all ok in the dark.

there hasn't been much multi loving in this thread...

post-72500-0-06628700-1355881115_thumb.jpgpost-72500-0-09721200-1355881219_thumb.jpg

Apparently, somebody once again failed to heed the "inflate to 30 psi" instruction. Proof that more inflation is not necessarily better, as if Pamela Lee is not enough.

Paps, that is a nicely finished Piver.

Confession:

I like Piver designs, as plywood trimarans go. the one drawback is the tunnel under the massive mast step/forward crossbeam to get to the head. You don't see many Pivers with deck deflection under the mast, but most Piver owners must have callused foreheads.

Hah! All OK in the dark made me chuckle.

Here's the other side of the shed vessel:

shed-patience-stbd.jpg

You have to admit it's not quite as ugly as the side with the window AC unit poking out. There's nothing prettier than that window unit in August, I can tell you that much.

More ugly boat admiration occurred last night at my neighbor's dock. Yes, it's a Venture, built by that evil MacGregor guy, but the owner was very happy with it. He left his mast back home because there are two low, fixed bridges on the way to where he is and he does not own a Sun Cat. ;)

He mentioned considering a 26X but said he had no use for speed. I told him speed under power was the only use for such a boat and his idea of putting a ten horse on it would mean that it was worth hull value only at resale. I think I unsold another MacGregor powersailer. It happens sometimes, when I give my opinion to someone who asks. ;)

Admiration: he was on his boat having a good evening. I was on a dock.

venture-cutter.jpg

Hah! All OK in the dark made me chuckle.

Here's the other side of the shed vessel:

shed-patience-stbd.jpg

You have to admit it's not quite as ugly as the side with the window AC unit poking out. There's nothing prettier than that window unit in August, I can tell you that much.

More ugly boat admiration occurred last night at my neighbor's dock. Yes, it's a Venture, built by that evil MacGregor guy, but the owner was very happy with it. He left his mast back home because there are two low, fixed bridges on the way to where he is and he does not own a Sun Cat. ;)

He mentioned considering a 26X but said he had no use for speed. I told him speed under power was the only use for such a boat and his idea of putting a ten horse on it would mean that it was worth hull value only at resale. I think I unsold another MacGregor powersailer. It happens sometimes, when I give my opinion to someone who asks. ;)

Admiration: he was on his boat having a good evening. I was on a dock.

venture-cutter.jpg

That's not just a Venture. That's a Venture of Newport!

Yes, the proud owner told me that, Semisalt. I did not catch the differences, but I think one was a cutter rig. I'm guessing that little wooden railing around the cockpit is another. It looks kind of nice, but worse than useless. It looks in the way to me.

Then there are uglyboats that can't even be redeemed by their price tag ($197,000,000 in this case)

hi-steve-jobs-yacht-8col.jpg

It's the other end of that one that is truly awful.

And the designer only charged 9 million pounds for that piece of shite.

Yes, the proud owner told me that, Semisalt. I did not catch the differences, but I think one was a cutter rig. I'm guessing that little wooden railing around the cockpit is another. It looks kind of nice, but worse than useless. It looks in the way to me.

And there's a website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/venturenewport/

Back in the day, which would have been sometime in the '70s, there was a lot fuzzy thinking about tradition and the old ways floating about. Macgreagor jumped in with this boat, Higher topsides, cutter rig, etc, to join the fun. One of my co-workers, who owned a Venture, called it a floating abortion. But, some people like them.

And there's a website: http://groups.yahoo....venturenewport/

Back in the day, which would have been sometime in the '70s, there was a lot fuzzy thinking about tradition and the old ways floating about. Macgreagor jumped in with this boat, Higher topsides, cutter rig, etc, to join the fun. One of my co-workers, who owned a Venture, called it a floating abortion. But, some people like them.

I dunno if it was 'fuzzy thinking.' Many people who were there at the time consider it a sort of revival of interest in classic & working vessels; a combination of rising interest in sailing (imagine that) and rising ability of media to specialize... my father subscribed to David Kasanov's 'Classic Boat Monthly' and in fact contributed a few articles. Then came 'Wooden Boat Magazine' and the whole scene became huge.

I'm sure it looked like a great market to break into for MacGregor: take their standard clorox-bottle hull, put some high-school-shop woodwork on it, a vestigial "flying jib" so people can imagine themselves with a corncob pipe rounding Cape Horn in their Venture, and off we go. Cute but a worse sailer than the regular rig, and to anybody who has actually spent time around classic or working sailing vessels, it is a crude kludge. I do hope that some of the people who were interested in the Venture of Newport, or perhaps bought one, then became a bit more interested and went on to get into the real thing.

FB- Doug

I dunno if it was 'fuzzy thinking.'

I should have been more clear. I was one of the people who had an interest in Pete Culler and John Gardner, etc. I really admire a traditional boat made of oak, and cedar and copper fastened. The fuzzy thinking was on the part of people who tried to get the look without understanding which characteristics gave which benefits.

That boat makes me vomit. There is no excuse for that unless the designer was trying to "mess" with the owner. In that case it is a very expensive practical joke. I truly hope it's the last job Stark gets. With that fee he won't need to work anymore anyway.

That boat makes me vomit. There is no excuse for that unless the designer was trying to "mess" with the owner. In that case it is a very expensive practical joke. I truly hope it's the last job Stark gets. With that fee he won't need to work anymore anyway.

I understand that much of that design came from Steve being Steve. Not one of Steve's more notable achievements, but given that I am writing this on his iPad, I guess I will give him a pass on his lack of yacht design sense.

I understand that much of that design came from Steve being Steve. Not one of Steve's more notable achievements, but given that I am writing this on his iPad, I guess I will give him a pass on his lack of yacht design sense.

He set out to change the world and did so, but was by many accounts an arrogant prick and an extremely demanding boss. I can't imagine the designer had much input.

I dunno if it was 'fuzzy thinking.'

I should have been more clear. I was one of the people who had an interest in Pete Culler and John Gardner, etc. I really admire a traditional boat made of oak, and cedar and copper fastened. The fuzzy thinking was on the part of people who tried to get the look without understanding which characteristics gave which benefits.

Ah so

It is true that a lot of boats imitate the look without any beneficial use of the classic attributes or characteristics.

I have mixed feelings about the 'spirit of tradition'' boats which attempt to combine Universal Rule looks with racing dinghy sailing characteristics... sometimes with a high degree of success... and most of them are pretty, which is reason enough.

FB- Doug

I have mixed feelings about the 'spirit of tradition'' boats which attempt to combine Universal Rule looks with racing dinghy sailing characteristics... sometimes with a high degree of success... and most of them are pretty, which is reason enough.

Agree about the Spirit of Tradition boats. The boats are designed to be ostentatious and even the words don't make sense. It's hard to be a purist though. A big Murray Peterson schooner is really just as ostentatious in its own way but I have no problem with it.

And I'm impressed with the skill of the designers and craftsmen who build the SoT boats, and glad they get a good payday. But there are other nice things they could build that would advance the civilization more.

Agree about the Spirit of Tradition boats. The boats are designed to be ostentatious and even the words don't make sense. It's hard to be a purist though. A big Murray Peterson schooner is really just as ostentatious in its own way but I have no problem with it.

And I'm impressed with the skill of the designers and craftsmen who build the SoT boats, and glad they get a good payday. But there are other nice things they could build that would advance the civilization more.

Ok, Semi, I'm not getting this. What does "designed to be ostentatious" mean? They're expensive? A lot of exterior teak? Targeted to "look at me" owners?

.... ... What does "designed to be ostentatious" mean? They're expensive? A lot of exterior teak? Targeted to "look at me" owners?

Yes, not always, and yes

This doesn't really belong in the ugly boat thread.

It's a matter of style vs substance. If you're rich enough to play in that league, you could build an R-boat or an 8-meter. Or restore a genuine original, of which there are fewer every generation and they need to be kept. Why built a boat that sorta kinda looks like one but with modern appendages & carbon fiber? Because it looks cool. Like a Dodge Viper.

Is it cool? I tend to say yeah, but.... ... perhaps that is easy for me to say because I've been lucky enough to sail on a few classics and wish I could have one. I've sailed with a friend whose grandad bought an S-boat from Herreshoff Mfg in nineteen-ought-whatever and the boat has been in the family ever since. Last I heard, a few years back, that boat was still in the family and been brought back into active racing. You can't buy that.

FB- Doug

• 3 weeks later...
post-666-0-80922800-1358290201.jpg Here is one of my personal favourites the one the only Clipper Marine 30.

There was a guy with a Clipper 26 in our marina at Elbow a million years ago. It was really not a nice looking boat. It looked like it was designed by vandals. (Thanks Gate)

I was horrified to find it was designed by Bill Crealock. It must have been during his blind period.

Then there are uglyboats that can't even be redeemed by their price tag ($197,000,000 in this case)

i like it. Except for the radomes on top.

post-48619-0-50912600-1358306780.jpg

post-48619-0-53879100-1358306885_thumb.jpg

i like it. Except for the radomes on top.

Yes but FLW designed buildings.

There was a guy with a Clipper 26 in our marina at Elbow a million years ago. It was really not a nice looking boat. It looked like it was designed by vandals. (Thanks Gate)

I was horrified to find it was designed by Bill Crealock. It must have been during his blind period.

Yer welcome...and I just googled the CM26.

Yak!!

You know, I look at that cat and I can see just what the designer was trying to do:

Give headroom in the hulls

Make some steps so that you could walk on the contours

So from a practical point of view it's not so bad to my eye.

But I just finished my early morning dog walk and I have to pick up after two healthy dogs.

I think I found where the inspiration came from.

If they had only put a pair of 50hp Honda's on the back it could also be a fine ski/sail boat.

I saw this on our pier and thought, "my gosh what a disaster in concept and execution." It "grew" on me over the years and now I think that it would be interesting to put down the river on. It would probably be cool looking with twin fifties mounted on the bow too!

post-48619-0-50198700-1358447095_thumb.jpg

This thread is getting it's fifteen minutes of fame on the SA home page. I wonder how many will work out the acronym.

I think it's cute. Just needs a few palm trees.

And a courtyard out front, with a fountain.

And men wearing togas and women wearing peplos or chiton.

And a courtyard out front, with a fountain.

And men wearing togas and women wearing peplos or chiton.

it is very republican

P1110878_zpsd14a639a.jpg

That one's just .................sad.

Yes but FLW designed buildings.

One of his buildings, I believe it was the Marin County Civic Center shown below, was described as a ocean liner between cresting waves.

marin3.jpg

Possibly but he never expected it to float.

A better angle on the Apple Yacht from the latest issue of "Showboats International".

Do you really think so Kim, its marginal at best.

Scared as I am of getting back in the water after so catastrophically misjudging the tone last time, I can't resist submitting this contribution to the Ugly Boat debate.

It seems to have been designed from one of Bob Perry's christmas cards. It used to be an open launch, and has had layers of strange and expensive modifications happen to it. It's on the hard at the Suffolk Yacht Harbour.

It's called Troll. Which at least demonstrates a certain self-awareness.

post-38-0-50679200-1358501266_thumb.jpg