Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

<SNIP> Take a look at Island Packets, to me the lines are a little better it is still a poor sailing boat, but it has a loyal following. There is a saying "That's someone's pride and joy!"

WHAT!! YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THE ISLAND PACKETS? TIME TO STEP OUTSIDE AND SETTLE THIS FOR ONCE AND ALL!!

Just kidding but I feel better now. :D

Go to the Island Packet site and look at the pictures for the SP (including the one I posted upthread), Look at the wake in the pictures of the boat underway. You can practically hear the water complaining about undue punishment.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

No trailer, no problem.  Just drill through the bilge keels and slide the axle right in. A couple of fittings from Harbor Freight and your off to the scrap yard!

Posted Images

<SNIP> Take a look at Island Packets, to me the lines are a little better it is still a poor sailing boat, but it has a loyal following. There is a saying "That's someone's pride and joy!"

WHAT!! YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THE ISLAND PACKETS? TIME TO STEP OUTSIDE AND SETTLE THIS FOR ONCE AND ALL!!

Just kidding but I feel better now. :D

Go to the Island Packet site and look at the pictures for the SP (including the one I posted upthread), Look at the wake in the pictures of the boat underway. You can practically hear the water complaining about undue punishment.

No argument there but on some strange level I do like the Sp Cruiser look, in a steam locomotive sort of way.

While we're at it, the the Packet Cat does deserve mention in this thread

post-37611-0-63771800-1359126690.jpg

L

Not sure if this belongs here, or somewhere else 'Art Anarchy'?, but....

I think I found Salvador Dali's boat:

3330ff54-820d-4997-b868-4c2df40021d9.jpg

A little more backstay please....

Dark blue topsides. They get real hot.

Looks a bit ike a Niagara 30 5142671_30-ft1967niagara30-sloop.jpg

I only saw this boat once and never saw it sail. The designer/builder drove it down to the Gulf coast from Ohio to do a cruise. He spent a lot of time fiddling with it on the trailer doing who knows what. When it came time to launch, he had trouble backing it down the ramp. A couple of us volunteered to help him and I got it in the water for him. He stayed in the water about 10 or 15 minutes and then pulled it right back out. Apparently there was a small leak somewhere around the lower guard for the leeboard and it freaked him out. Despite numerous offers of help fixing it, he and his wife got in their car and returned to Ohio, a waste of at least three days... The boat was a mish-mash of interesting details like the tabernacled chinese lug rig (a magnet for eccentrics), leeboards, the Bolger-inspired slot-top house, and the very bizzare bulbous bow.

I'm sorry I never got to see it sail, but I admit I didn't have high hopes either.

31209_124723334221624_2111371_n.jpg

31209_124723344221623_799579_n.jpg

L

That's not an ugly boat.

L

I would like a boat like that.

Sorry for the confusion. I never meant to say the Niagara was ugly. They Dali boat reminded of the Niagara, that's all.

You're stuck with it now, you're the guy from Montreal who hates Niagaras.

By the way, has anyone mentioned the tit thing to you yet?

IMG_1097.jpg

Yeah, Columbia 34 - Bill Trip design. Ondine II (the blue pig) minus the middle 40'.

We once tied alongside one in Sydney. We were on a 54' (20' longer) and had to step UP to climb aboard.

IIRC they had 7'6" headroom - I never found out why they needed that.

Diarmuid:

Looks like it to me.

Rec:

I had a friend with qa Columbia 34. It was cavernous below with all that wasted headroom you mention.

In that photo you can see how full it is forward, a carryover from CCA days. But my friend lked the way it sailed.

Yeah, Columbia 34 - Bill Trip design. Ondine II (the blue pig) minus the middle 40'.

My not-very-exciting Columbia 34 story. Back about 1971 in my first boat, I had a spreader come loose and I went motoring up the Sakonnet River (that's the east side of Newport, RI) in search of help. As I was approaching the dock at the marina in Tiverton, a a bunch of people started waving me off. I looked around and saw a C34 being coaxed into the spot I was aiming for. It had just been launched, the mast wasn't stepped, and I guess the engine was not yet is service.

I tied up elsewhere and came around to take a look. It seemed amazingly huge. As I remember, the companionway steps were not in place, and the free fall distance to the cabin sole was intimidating.

Once the C34 was tied up, the marina folks were very good to me.

IMG_1097.jpg

We once tied alongside one in Sydney. We were on a 54' (20' longer) and had to step UP to climb aboard.

IIRC they had 7'6" headroom - I never found out why they needed that.

That's so you can have your ceiling fan & hanging ferns in there, just like home.

FB- Doug

Sorry for the confusion. I never meant to say the Niagara was ugly. They Dali boat reminded of the Niagara, that's all.

Since this is the Ugly Boat thread, I wnet looking for an ugly pair of tits but I coukd not find any. I hopen these will do.

1155.jpg

BTW, I can't hate the Niagara! We sailed it's little brother, a Shark 24 for 10 years.

Since this is the Ugly Boat thread, I wnet looking for an ugly pair of tits but I coukd not find any. I hopen these will do.

1155.jpg

BTW, I can't hate the Niagara! We sailed it's little brother, a Shark 24 for 10 years.

Besides the picture being well worth quoting, I had Sharks for 15 years. I like Niagaras too. I also lived in Montreal for a while.

Doesn't matter, you're the guy from Montreal who hates Niagaras.

PY26 10/10, Dam I do love a good set of real titties

was looking for a decent pic of a d&m 22, but this is uglier:

gallery_8505_168_31424.jpg

Now where did you find that pick, That's a Raven 26 and up till a couple of years ago had a standard rig. It lives a stones throw from my boat. Never have talked to the lass that owns it (lives aboard I think).

They don't seem to be a bad boat in standard form (actually quite popular), the junk rig? Well why would you.

• Downvote 1

PY26 10/10, Dam I do love a good set of real titties

was looking for a decent pic of a d&m 22, but this is uglier:

gallery_8505_168_31424.jpg

Now where did you find that pick, That's a Raven 26 and up till a couple of years ago had a standard rig. It lives a stones throw from my boat. Never have talked to the lass that owns it (lives aboard I think).

They don't seem to be a bad boat in standard form (actually quite popular), the junk rig? Well why would you.

To make the boat slower and less able to make progress upwind? To get more weight aloft? Because you had a couple bottles of cheap vodka and some old tents laying around, and the suggestion "Let's make a sail" became irresistable?

Actually, the junk rig is nice for being able to reef quickly & easily. But it's not an over-riding priority for most of us. Be grateful this person didn't use blue polytarp.

I liked raised decks for small-ish boats. That Raven seems like a rather nice boat but the squared-off look does nothing for me.

FB- Doug

Elegua:

Not so IMHO. We have gone to great lengths here through extensive research and verification processes to raise the bar of "ugly" to a level heretofor never seen heights.

Your little, blue, beach standed sloop is a bit awkward looking but far from the ugly we are after.

" Don't you listen little blue boat. You're a bit funny looking but you're cute. You have a real perky little sheer."

post-76292-0-19943500-1359322160_thumb.jpg

This one showed up yet? Supposedly started out as a Bruce Roberts but was then "improved". post-76292-0-19943500-1359322160_thumb.jpg

It definitely qualifies with honors in the ugly category, but still trying to figure out what to admire about it.

Hobot, you're right. The girl could always be moved to a sailboat and besides, I'm a powerboat owner too. What was I thinking?

Elegua:

Not so IMHO. We have gone to great lengths here through extensive research and verification processes to raise the bar of "ugly" to a level heretofor never seen heights.

Your little, blue, beach standed sloop is a bit awkward looking but far from the ugly we are after.

" Don't you listen little blue boat. You're a bit funny looking but you're cute. You have a real perky little sheer."

One theme I think I see in the ugly in this thread is how home improvers/builders have perverted the original intention of the designer and builder...or never had a plan at all; this is pure intent ... at any moment it's going to flap its bilge keels and start wriggling down the beach....

1155.jpg

No ugly tits ? Did you try the NRA's RCOTW page ?

post-17161-0-93303200-1359341534_thumb.jpg

These little boats seems to do all sorts of impressive feats.....

3840849840_9ca9eb5e76.jpg

...but still so ugly it hard to avert your eyes...it looks kinds like a mudskipper doesn't it?

Looks a lot like an Allan Wright 22, if it is the the keels have been extended aft about 6" and the skeg/rudder combo has been replace with a spade.

When I was a kid a friend of my dad had one, He was 6'2" and lived on it. He was a hard fella though, he used to go and visit his folks 550 Km away, by bicycle. It would take him a couple of days.

Before he had a dingy he would just swim, holding his tee shirt above the water to get to the beach.

When he did get a dingy he would make bread, He would row ashore with his camp oven and the dough, Light a fire on the beach and bake his bread. When it was cooked he would often cut off the crusts (his favourite part) eat them and row back to his boat, with the dough we used to joke.

That boat reminds me of my childhood, no way can it be called ugly.

• Downvote 1

...but still so ugly it hard to avert your eyes...it looks kinds like a mudskipper doesn't it?

This boat reminds me of an attractive girl with crooked teeth. She's not perfect, but still adorable.

This boat reminds me of an attractive girl with crooked teeth. She's not perfect, but still adorable.

Well she is an English boat, wouldn't crooked teeth come with the territory?

I'd sail it... B)

I'd sail it... B)

I was going to say "English teeth" but feared the flames. But you HAD to go there, didn't you? :D

I'd sail it... B)

I was going to say "English teeth" but feared the flames. But you HAD to go there, didn't you? :D

Fools rush in... :P

Elegua:

Ugly is form defying function, style with no substance, substance with no style, affectation without any effect, dumb, dangerous, dorky, DIY debacles, protuberances purloined from pirate ships like redundant ratlines, spurious sprits and ponderous poopdecks, ridiculous rigs and any Buccaneer that didn't later become a US yachts offering.

I

Love the fenders.

What is he protecting? The finish?

You should have seen the dinghy.

RIP Raw Faith, luckily only the boat went to the bottom.

That thing finally sank?

Owner/builder tried to deliver it south from Maine in December I think it was, 2010, with one other crew member. Abandoned off Cape Cod, both rescued.

Well, you have tumblehome and you have "fallen over going home"

Love the shroud location.

The more I look at it the more it looks like my sweat sock.

You're right. I was thinking some bizarre mating of a ferrosprout contraption with a sack of potatoes.

Did anyone ever admire Raw Faith?

God did. That's why He called it home. It was the naval architecture equivalent of snake handling. "If I just believe hard enuf, I'll be safe."

Tho bringing along an EPIRB was probably wise. Like keeping a vial of antivenin in the fridge.

Looks like my first attempt at baking bread.

S/V Handroll

Well, you have tumblehome and you have "fallen over going home"

Love the shroud location.

The more I look at it the more it looks like my sweat sock.

You're right. I was thinking some bizarre mating of a ferrosprout contraption with a sack of potatoes.

Gives new meaning to the term "peel ply"

Or maybe it was laid up over a mold made of dirt

FB- Doug

If we admitting ferro boats into the topic, may I present:

Ferrocementyacht.jpg

Tom's ice fishing shack grew wings. Or this purposeful-looking vessel:

concrete_stern2.jpg

Looks like a missile cruiser and an Island Packet had a torrid romance. Some months later, the Maid of Essex popped out of her forms.

Ferrocementyacht.jpg

Tom's ice fishing shack grew wings. Or this purposeful-looking vessel:

concrete_stern2.jpg

Looks like a missile cruiser and an Island Packet had a torrid romance. Some months later, the Maid of Essex popped out of her forms.

Well, it's pretty shoal draft by the look of it.

Is that first one concrete all the way up? That's quite a bit of tophamper.

I take it that's the life capsule on the foredeck.

I knew of a schooner that the keel was cast in concrete in a form dug into the S Carolina clay with a backhoe. The bubbas that built here at least had the know how to reinforce it with rebar and left enough rebar stubs sticking up out of the top of the poured keel to bore and drop floor timbers right onto. They apparently bent a 2x8 against the earthen form to create a rabbit in the concrete cast keel that served as the land for the garboard plank. The whole boat was formed up and planked with the keel still securely buried into the ground and it was not until the construction was completed that it was unearthed and the vessel was launched. Big ass transom on it and it was not the prettiest schooner to come down the ways, but she did manage to win her class in the Antigua Classics regatta much to the dismay of the 'snooters' down there. The owner/skipper was a piece of work himself and they referred to themselves as 'Schooner Trash'. I think that the boat completed a RTW eventually and she had a turn of speed that belied her humble origins. I'll look for photos, but doubt that any exist.

Hmm.....it seems I'm in the minority then. Mind you it's a very flattering pic.

Ferrocementyacht.jpg

Tom's ice fishing shack grew wings

I think Tom would like that one, you can mount a outboard to it :huh:

That one is awesome, Diarmuid, but what is that big, draggy prop doing down there when they have a perfectly good outboard bracket? All it would need is an outboard with about a 6 foot shaft. If someone made one.

That thing on top looks like a camper back for a hickup truck. Maybe it's the mother in law suite?

Ferrocementyacht.jpg

Tom's ice fishing shack grew wings

I think Tom would like that one, you can mount a outboard to it :huh:

That one is awesome, Diarmuid, but what is that big, draggy prop doing down there when they have a perfectly good outboard bracket? All it would need is an outboard with about a 6 foot shaft. If someone made one.

That thing on top looks like a camper back for a hickup truck. Maybe it's the mother in law suite?

How much you wanna bet the top of the anti-fouling painted on that thing is only wishful thinking?

davis2736.jpg

Then perhaps you'd like this one. Great Bimini.

Are those handrails to get back on board after you've slid off the deck into the water?

Bob certainly can't "nitpick" about the lack of sheer spring.

Elegua:

No, I think those are odd looking boats but they fall short of true ass hole puckering "uglee".

I think the white one is very interesting. It has a very shapely bow that hints at CCA origins.

Look where the headstay is tacked. That's pretty interesting. Some one has put a lot of thoight into this vessel. I'd like to know more about it.

The yellow boat appears to be a conversion of a lifeboat. Back when I was 20 years old I has a smaller one. Mine was lapstraked. Looked cool but didn't sail worth a damn.

I'll bet that thing is tender as hell.

That's an ugly Bimini top, but the boat is not so bad. And I admire the ugly Bimini, especially during the hot and buggy times of the year.

In an imaginary world, You got an AC unit in there with you Tom?

Rick

I'm hoping that's screen and not isinglass enclosure.

Elegua, another great contribution. Those people are not big believers in seeing what's going on outside, nor in seeing anything in the cave, I guess.

Greatest thread ever.

Elegua:

I hear you. That bow is almost a BLACK MAGIC kind of bow in some ways. I'd love to see what that boat looks like under the water.

I think what we are really after here is the kind of boat you see on the dock and as you walk by you try not to look at it. If there is someone on deck of said boat you avoid making eye contact at all costs. The kind of boat your dog would lift his leg on.

True ugliness is in its earnestness. Dart1.jpg

Wood is an earnest material, thus it seems to get the bumper crop.

Go ahead, I dare you....make an offer

4139783_0_291120121019_1.jpg?w=220&h=165&1131022

Metal too....

46597d1282248367-good-bad-ugly-steel-building-methods-dscn1146.jpg

It's got davits, bilge keels and a springy sheer....what's not to like? I bet you it carries enough diesel to steam across the South Pacific. I see an 50's chevy in the pilot house

2864129330_4a0d268357_o.jpg

Look, it's a RIB BCC

Did anyone ever admire Raw Faith?

I can't even tell what Maxx posted there.

In all seriousness, I admired Raw Faith- and I've seen the boat and met the owner. I admire all these home built designed monstrosities, I posted an admiring note in the thread on the plywood cat being built in California that won't float for more than a minute after it meets the first wave more than 4" high.

I mean it. I salute these people that have such raw faith in themselves that they do these things, and I respect the pride they feel for their babies, and I feel for them when they fail, and their raw faith gets a rude comeuppance. I know it is going to happen, and know they "deserve" to have their faith destroyed, but I admire them and their efforts nevertheless.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. And it is an old tradition on the sea that we fellow mariners who know better will try and help them. I know several people that spent time and money trying to get the builder of Raw Faith to get a little sense into his head, and good on them for it.