Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

I think Tom will approve admission to the society of this build. From the shed of Paul Jenson.

http://pauljensencustom.blogspot.ca/2014_01_01_archive.html

P1100175.JPG

What do you find admirable? I'm still looking for something. Ahh, maybe bravery at speed? I wonder how it handles?

Color match?

Recycling?

Floating?

The recycling and cleverness, I suppose. Not too often you see a square stern canoe with Hobie 14 amas. But that begs the question why? to be asked. Surely the money and time investment would have been more efficient by just building a new hull.
  • Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

This is what happens when you wear socks with sandals.

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

Posted Images

I would rather have a Hobie 14 and a square stern canoe with an a two horse outboard, so the recycling is out for me.

I'll admire the pride in ownership. He even has a personalized decal for the Franken-Tri. And, the deck thing looks well built.

I wonder how the amas hook up in a turn. . .And what passengers hold onto during a turn.

Might make a serviceable fishing platform, and I'm sure it could be fornicated upon.

It would make a very good flats boat and Panoramix is right that it's likely a dry ride. Also reasonably fast for the amount of power it carries. And it's really ugly. So yes, I approve heartily and want to take it out!

It's probably not all that fast nor all that fun to drive compared to a truly entertaining powerboat, let alone a jet ski. But one of the things that determines where you can and can't go on the flats is propeller diameter. Small engine, small prop, light boat that can be shoved off a bar by hand if grounded = I can fish more places.

I wonder how the amas hook up in a turn. . .And what passengers hold onto during a turn.

I bet it does that weird multihull powerboat thing where it turns like it's on rails and leans slightly outward, which is very unsettling. I doubt it does it fast enough to fling passengers.

I'd rather have a typical flats boat, and a Hobie 14, and a canoe for the back everglades trails under the mangroves. But it is nice and ugly and admirably well-built as it appears. I'd fish and drink beer on it, no worries. And try to hold on.

I'd rather have a typical flats boat, and a Hobie 14, and a canoe for the back everglades trails under the mangroves. But it is nice and ugly and admirably well-built as it appears. I'd fish and drink beer on it, no worries. And try to hold on.

Most people would. :)

I hadn't thought of it as an alligator fuck house, you used to need a cigarette boat for that, but, I've never been to Florida.

The audacity to turn a Hobie into a flats powerboat is what I admired, along with the level of finish, beyond redneck.

if you don't admire the audacity of the rig on this 8' boat, there's something wrong with you.attachicon.gif15894840_256893838072643_2000644356729745272_n.jpgattachicon.gif15825794_256893844739309_824497130499910286_n.jpg

Years ago there was a fleet of Sabots in False creek that, IIRC, were full rigged ships. The individual sails were so small that kitchen twine would have sufficed for running rigging.

if you don't admire the audacity of the rig on this 8' boat, there's something wrong with you.attachicon.gif15894840_256893838072643_2000644356729745272_n.jpgattachicon.gif15825794_256893844739309_824497130499910286_n.jpg

Years ago there was a fleet of Sabots in False creek that, IIRC, were full rigged ships. The individual sails were so small that kitchen twine would have sufficed for running rigging.

Pic, or it didn't happen.

I've been looking but haven't found any yet. Perhaps Maxx can help - I'm sure he'd remember them.

I found this one for the Society to review, Im not sure what it is but it qualifies - and the front appears to have fallen off.

It certainly didn't look pretty or efficient trying to motor into 25 knots of wind.

attachicon.gifIMG_4110.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4113.jpg

Would probably do O/K in Holland.

I've been looking but haven't found any yet. Perhaps Maxx can help - I'm sure he'd remember them.

I found this one for the Society to review, Im not sure what it is but it qualifies - and the front appears to have fallen off.

It certainly didn't look pretty or efficient trying to motor into 25 knots of wind.

Holy shit. Not only has the front fallen off, it very nearly had a cathedral hull. It's sad.

Oh believe me - it happened. I'm sure they had fun but might have been some Vancouver nutters too. Never had the nerve to talk to them as you might not want too. It was like that "hat" guy with his Cal 20. They finally threw him out the bar at RVYC.

A bit harsh don't you think?

Then again...maybe not.

post-76289-0-86389400-1483996056_thumb.jpeg

Oh believe me - it happened. I'm sure they had fun but might have been some Vancouver nutters too. Never had the nerve to talk to them as you might not want too. It was like that "hat" guy with his Cal 20. They finally threw him out the bar at RVYC.

Back in the day, they used to make the Sea Scouts memorize the names of all the sails on a tall ship. Maybe somebody figured it was about time to actually rig all those sails...

I admire it.

It holds its dink up high. It has pretty wide side decks. Looks like a lot of boat for the given length. Shame about the front.

I don't admire the decision to try to make way into 25 knots of wind, but that's not the boat's fault.

Practical and surprising.

I misunderestimated how much the tide had come up one day and took a shortcut that crosses some very shallow water. Ran my 11 Whaler w/25 hp Merc hard aground, at least as hard as you can in the sand/muck that makes up the creek bottom. Stopped the boat.

That ugly little thing went around me and I could see where the two hulls stirred up the bottom but the engine did not! It passed right next to me without touching bottom. I was in the deepest water available.

Look at how the engine is mounted. The prop shaft is about even with the bottoms of the hulls. Usually, the cavitation plate must be at least a little below the hull on a planing boat. That engine rides in the convergence of the wakes when on plane, with the prop shaft near the surface of the surrounding water but well inside the wake. That's usually only possible for race boats with surface-piercing props that don't do much of anything good at normal boating speeds.

I admire that the v-berth has ample footroom. and if you're gonna go weird, you might as well go the full Hunter S Thompson with a junk rig on all three masts.

A bit harsh don't you think?

Then again...maybe not.

This is what happens when you leave your boat in the microwave 30 seconds too long.

I misunderestimated how much the tide had come up one day and took a shortcut that crosses some very shallow water. Ran my 11 Whaler w/25 hp Merc hard aground, at least as hard as you can in the sand/muck that makes up the creek bottom. Stopped the boat.

That ugly little thing went around me and I could see where the two hulls stirred up the bottom but the engine did not! It passed right next to me without touching bottom. I was in the deepest water available.

Look at how the engine is mounted. The prop shaft is about even with the bottoms of the hulls. Usually, the cavitation plate must be at least a little below the hull on a planing boat. That engine rides in the convergence of the wakes when on plane, with the prop shaft near the surface of the surrounding water but well inside the wake. That's usually only possible for race boats with surface-piercing props that don't do much of anything good at normal boating speeds.

That looks like a fantastic flats rig. and i admire the size of the cooler.

The dutch brought you all to "yachting", so you should be gratefull and in admiration for a tradition of old ships in the Netherlands. ;-)

Here a "vissermanschouw" for sale. Built in 1960, used for fishing on the IJsselmeer: http://www.tradewindyachts.nl/visserschouw-1960/

schouw-5.jpg

schouw-3.jpg

The dutch brought you all to "yachting", so you should be gratefull and in admiration for a tradition of old ships in the Netherlands. ;-)

Here a "vissermanschouw" for sale. Built in 1960, used for fishing on the IJsselmeer: http://www.tradewindyachts.nl/visserschouw-1960/

schouw-5.jpg

schouw-3.jpg

I don't see an ugly boat in the 2nd picture. Is it the motorboat behind the Dutch leeboarder in the first pic?

;)

FB- Doug

Certainly not the nicest hull, but this bow is an old trick to make a chined hull with lot of volume forward.

0fa5098c9e38c091cfc6f0e0f25e8e75.jpg

Jean Pierre Dick having fun on one of them. Mr Le cleach is also known for racing those.

I like scows, Think of the mini transat design. I can't post a photo because it would be too good looking.

I don't think I'd call that a scow. More like a pram, no?

I like scows, Think of the mini transat design. I can't post a photo because it would be too good looking.

yes, you are right, reminds me of a mirror dinghy I used to mess about with. But there is some overlap between scows and prams, flat bottomed with blunt bows both.

schouw-5.jpg

schouw-3.jpg

I don't see an ugly boat in the 2nd picture. Is it the motorboat behind the Dutch leeboarder in the first pic?

;)

FB- Doug

I was going to say that the green thing seems more ugly than admirable to me. Probably a matter of taste, as Bob said.

Proving I have little, I admire the ugly powerboat in the background. Looks like it means business. But it's not a workboat, so qualifies for Admiration.

yes, you are right, reminds me of a mirror dinghy I used to mess about with. But there is some overlap between scows and prams, flat bottomed with blunt bows both.

I built a pram years ago, with a friend. We built it in his kitchen. Yes he was single although he dated the actress Sharon Stone when she was a college student, but that is another story. The pram was actually kind of cute in an ugly sort of way. Sharon Stone was actually very pretty in a college co-ed kind of way.

I think I have found a boat I can find nothing to admire about.

Lagoon Power Cat 43

LP43_02.jpg

Sure it's got a huge master cabin but I don't find that admirable, you can get a better one in an apartment.

lagoon_LP43_interior_09.jpg

I think I can say that I wouldn't even take a free charter on this vessel, kinda like saying you found a prostitute so ugly you wouldn't go her for free...

Another shot in case you weren't already reaching for the eye bleach.

lagoonpower43_pic2.jpg

That looks like a fantastic flats rig. and i admire the size of the cooler.

I have never been able to stop thinking about watching that boat go around my aground ass. It happened close to 20 years ago and I can picture it clear as day.

This evening, there will be a meeting of the Boat Geeks brain trust, creators of the legendary Cowmaran.

The subject: my intention to create a scaled-down version of that boat, designed to run with my old 15 hp Evinrude.

Beauty will NOT be among the design goals. There are two goals: to make a boat that runs in even less water than that one and does it at more than 20 knots.

Even if beauty were a design goal, it's probably beyond my building capabilities.

So it's very likely we'll create another boat that's worthy of nomination for Admiration.

Certainly not the nicest hull, but this bow is an old trick to make a chined hull with lot of volume forward.

Jean Pierre Dick having fun on one of them. Mr Le cleach is also known for racing those.

Apparently there are 6,000 San Francisco Pelicans in the world.

san-francisco-bay-pelican-sailboat-1.jpg

Lagoon Power Cat 43

LP43_02.jpg

Sure it's got a huge master cabin but I don't find that admirable, you can get a better one in an apartment.

I think I can say that I wouldn't even take a free charter on this vessel, kinda like saying you found a prostitute so ugly you wouldn't go her for free...

lagoonpower43_pic2.jpg

Well, it's a matter of taste. My wife & I almost bought one of those. I think it's a great boat, the best of the cruising power cats IMHO. Some friends finished up a custom power cat last year, quite similar in many respects, and spent about 4X what one of these would have cost.

FB- Doug

I've seen much worse looking powerboats. And it probably burns less fuel than them. Only real issue I see is whether it fits into average sized slips. But that's for the owners to worry about.

Apparently there are 6,000 San Francisco Pelicans in the world.

san-francisco-bay-pelican-sailboat-1.jpg

And 10s of thousands of mirrors.

Lagoon Power Cat 43

LP43_02.jpg

lagoonpower43_pic2.jpg

Well, it's a matter of taste. My wife & I almost bought one of those. I think it's a great boat, the best of the cruising power cats IMHO. Some friends finished up a custom power cat last year, quite similar in many respects, and spent about 4X what one of these would have cost.

FB- Doug

pontoon boats have come a longggg way

Markus:

Are you referring to that piss pulpit? I agree. Nice touch. Could use a cup holder though.

Crew could hand sandwiches and cold ones out the porthole and you'd be all set. Maybe a beanbag for long hauls.
An opening port in companionway drop board useful for just that. Also for communicating with on-deck crew, and light and ventilation when the boats closed up. Not so needed on a boat with a good dodger, but handy on boats without.

Markus:

Are you referring to that piss pulpit? I agree. Nice touch. Could use a cup holder though.

Proper rodholders do not double as drink holders but we have some clip-on things that basically use two rodholders as the "handles" of a big spring clamp, sized to grab a stanchion.

Those DO hold a drink, even if it's in a hugger, and are fine for small rods.

And they can be stowed when not in use.

So I'd amend my earlier statement to say it needs some good, permanently mounted rod holders appropriate for ocean trolling and a couple of those clip on drink/rod holder things.

schouw-5.jpg

schouw-3.jpg

;)

FB- Doug

I was going to say that the green thing seems more ugly than admirable to me. Probably a matter of taste, as Bob said.

Proving I have little, I admire the ugly powerboat in the background. Looks like it means business. But it's not a workboat, so qualifies for Admiration.

You might call that an indigenous boat, and I don't find those ugly. Rough, tough, practical is common for indigenous boats, but they're not really ugly.

schouw-5.jpg

schouw-3.jpg

;)

FB- Doug

You might call that an indigenous boat, and I don't find those ugly. Rough, tough, practical is common for indigenous boats, but they're not really ugly.

I think it's got nice curves.

Plus it is very practical... Go under a bridge, no problem. Sit out low tide on a sandbar, no problem. Drive hard, even close-hauled, thru 2 1/2 ft deep water, no problem.

FB- Doug

That's totally something that would have come together for Expo86. I don't remember them at Expo but I could totally see it.

I think it's got nice curves.

Plus it is very practical... Go under a bridge, no problem. Sit out low tide on a sandbar, no problem. Drive hard, even close-hauled, thru 2 1/2 ft deep water, no problem.

FB- Doug

You're both wrong. It's ugly. But maybe that's just me.

However, you both bring up great reasons why it's Admirable.

A fine addition to the Society IMO.

That's totally something that would have come together for Expo86. I don't remember them at Expo but I could totally see it.

It was well before Expo - around the mid 70's IIRC.

schouw-5.jpg

schouw-3.jpg

;)

FB- Doug

it's disqualified anyhow due to beeing a former workboat

and i to can not find anything ugly about it.

Went fishing today and caught only some microsnook and snapper that were too small to keep. But I had a good day anyway because I found something for the Society.

As I was approaching the ramp in town, I honestly thought that someone had constructed a big, homemade dumpster of some sort, possibly hippies cleaning up the harbor or something. The bow was blocked by the truck and even though it was coming up a boat ramp, I didn't think I was looking at a boat.

somethingboat.jpg

I'm still not 100% sure.

I think we may have located Hot Rod at last. Or at least someone who studied thousands of designs.

boatsplicing101.jpg

Some people like big butts. There's even a song about it.

megatransom.jpg

I admire the tasteful placement of the pink flamingo.

Yes, the trailer is to be admired. Nice truck too. The ramp appears well maintained. Very civic of the men to remove trash from the waterwsys and haul it to the dump. I Prob should STFU, it looks like my brother.

That ramp is like greased ice. I hang on to something with both hands when I have to walk on it. We were just there to get bait. We launched over by Tom Scott's house.

I'm not kidding. My bro lives not far from Tom Scott. He has a white F350 crew cab. He's got an alum float-on. He's a framing carpenter. And the dude in white shirt looks like him.

(snip)

As I was approaching the ramp in town, I honestly thought that someone had constructed a big, homemade dumpster of some sort, possibly hippies cleaning up the harbor or something. The bow was blocked by the truck and even though it was coming up a boat ramp, I didn't think I was looking at a boat.

boatsplicing101.jpg

I'm thinking that the chine looks a little fairer than the sheer line.

Aesthetics? Nah. Fuck it, just get it built.

Went fishing today and caught only some microsnook and snapper that were too small to keep. But I had a good day anyway because I found something for the Society.

somethingboat.jpg

I'm still not 100% sure.

I think we may have located Hot Rod at last. Or at least someone who studied thousands of designs.

boatsplicing101.jpg

megatransom.jpg

I admire the minimalism of the finish.

FB- Doug

That ramp is like greased ice. I hang on to something with both hands when I have to walk on it. We were just there to get bait. We launched over by Tom Scott's house.

I'm not kidding. My bro lives not far from Tom Scott. He has a white F350 crew cab. He's got an alum float-on. He's a framing carpenter. And the dude in white shirt looks like him.

Well, if it is your brother, please explain that nomination for Admiration by the Society is an HONOR, not an insult.

(I'm still kinda trying to convince the creator of the Cowmaran of this.)

Does that boat look like a splice of two different boats to anyone else?

The back half looks like maybe someone was building a PT boat or something. It could handle some heavy engines or maybe a Harlisaki secured on a treadmill for power.

The front half looks like maybe someone was building something... else. I'm not sure what.

I'd like to see it after the house (there's gotta be a house) goes on and the drywall is installed.

Well, if it is your brother, please explain that nomination for Admiration by the Society is an HONOR, not an insult.

(I'm still kinda trying to convince the creator of the Cowmaran of this.)

Dang skippy

What's in a name... would they rather be in the mocking thread? Ask them if they'd rather not be noticed at all all. Nobody likes to be ignored.

FB- Doug

somethingboat.jpg

I'm still not 100% sure.

boatsplicing101.jpg

megatransom.jpg

That's... Wow, that's fucked up.

The economy of material used on the transom is admirable. 'Spose it'll be a row boat?

I'm still not 100% sure.

OK, you have micro snook and snapper, in another CA thread Semi Salt admitted to having a piccolo. Is there some secret code here in CA that I haven't heard about? :blink:

Not my bro. His truck doesn't have the FX4 decal on rear. Thank goodness, I'd have to kick his ass if that monstrosity was his. Bad enough he goes on week long fishing trips to Middle Ground on a pontoon boat. Quote: " be sure to bring black plastic to cover your sleeping bag when it rains". Me: "why black instead of clear?" . bro: "so you can't see the Lightning".

Not my bro. His truck doesn't have the FX4 decal on rear. Thank goodness, I'd have to kick his ass if that monstrosity was his. Bad enough he goes on week long fishing trips to Middle Ground on a pontoon boat. Quote: " be sure to bring black plastic to cover your sleeping bag when it rains". Me: "why black instead of clear?" . bro: "so you can't see the Lightning".

Ha, ha. A hard man indeed.

Stunning. I want to see it floating. Maybe they were finding the water line before painting it. I'm guessing the ugly gets better when it's in the water.

What's the intended purpose? Fishing while sculling in the breakers?

Clues (besides the most obvious - the crazy design)

Several youngsters and one old dude.

No Finish

looks like 1 team built the bow and another the stern, then joined the two halves.

flimsy construction of non marine grade materials and BS like the fire blocks/support blocks

Conclusion:

Intended for short term or even single use parade, display or contest for high school or college kids.

It is going to become some type of float for an on the water parade or it is going to look like dinosaur/airplane/spaceship, take your pick.

I'm still not 100% sure.

OK, you have micro snook and snapper, in another CA thread Semi Salt admitted to having a piccolo. Is there some secret code here in CA that I haven't heard about? :blink:

No, we're just not all that good at finding the big fish. We had leftover sausages for dinner, not fresh fish.

Got home and read the chatter on Facebook from guides about where they were. About as far from where we were looking as you could get. Oh well.

Balder might be on to something with the parade float theory.

It does make sense to me. And nothing else does.

I was hoping it DIDN'T make sense and we could continue along the Harlisaki/drywall line.

Sorry to blow your fun. It was a Eureka moment.

I'm still not 100% sure.

No, we're just not all that good at finding the big fish. We had leftover sausages for dinner, not fresh fish.

Got home and read the chatter on Facebook from guides about where they were. About as far from where we were looking as you could get. Oh well.

Thanks for that, now I am sure that something is going on here. ;) You know what they say; that's why they calling it fishing, not catching. Even the pros get skunked now and then. I went fishing on a charter in Oahu about 25 years ago,on a nice 50' sport fisher, a bucket list item. Two different times, same boat. First time we spent 8 hours riding up and down on the huge Pacific swells. Got a lot of sun and nothing else. The second time a few months later, boated about 6 good mahi mahi, ~20-25#, a couple of big king mackerel, ~30#, and had a had a ~300#. marlin on the line but he got off after about 15 minutes after a nice aerial display. Just seeing that marlin in the air made it all worthwhile. I probably will never see a another marlin out in the wild again. I go once a year to the Baltic Sea in Germany in the Spring to fish for Atlantic salmon. I have a friend that is a charter captain there and he is good. His 2 26' boats have all the bells and whistles, 4 electric down riggers, radar, GPS chart plotter, high end color fish finder, auto pilot, big enough heated cabin to have a head and get warm, etc. I think our ratio of salmon to hours fished is about 6 or 7 hours per fish in the boat. Every now and then you get a 2-4# cod fish. The 45 pound salmon I caught a few years ago makes you forget about all of the idle hours. Unfortunately the Baltic Sea in March isn't quite as comfortable as Florida waters, the air temperature usually ranges in the high 30s to the mid 40s (if you are lucky) and it is often windy.

• 3 weeks later...