Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

16 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

The Society should check out the following thread in Fix-it Anarchy.

I admire the "I'll just add more boatbuildy stuff wherever it seems to need more boat" approach to construction.

Well, I don't really admire it, but each pic did make me laugh more than the one before.

On 7/18/2018 at 4:14 PM, Sporgo said:

37335579_1748876645167283_7717330669201784832_n.jpg

37305687_1748878245167123_3349292222716575744_n.jpg

37344185_1748878595167088_1848448817758732288_n.jpg

37355559_1748876205167327_7259980913478467584_n.jpg

37397455_1748877961833818_4473364127053512704_n.jpg

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

No trailer, no problem.  Just drill through the bilge keels and slide the axle right in. A couple of fittings from Harbor Freight and your off to the scrap yard!

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I admire the "I'll just add more boatbuildy stuff wherever it seems to need more boat" approach to construction.

Well, I don't really admire it, but each pic did make me laugh more than the one before.

Is this the boat that the guy building the steel boat built before he gave up on fiberglass?

• Like 2

I was wondering if this guy just made a male mold of everything needed for a new boat. 

Think about:  cover every surface now with mold release paste, slap on some fiberglass every where, and out pops a brand new boat complete with hardware, wheel, etc. 

You could use a chopper gun and and have a complete ready-to-sail boat in a day. 

Maybe this guy is on to something..........

• 2 weeks later...

From the Dodger thread:

19 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

83B51DDE-601F-417C-8B65-4A827A3032E0.jpeg

My usual reaction to "that boat is ugly" is, "so look in a different direction." Sometimes function dictates form and this thread is a celebration of those times.

But anything can be taken too far. This thing is so Admirable it may have crossed the line and become Antisocial. It redefines "zero fucks given."

But there's a lot to Admire.

Someone was asking about the "homemade anchor." I don't think that's an anchor. It's a bow weight, hung there to counteract what appears to be runaway hogging of the hull. An Admirable solution.

Working back, the windlass appears to have a windlass. The Dept of Redundancy Dept approves.

If you're going to ask people like me to plant our bony asses on the rail, it should at least be comfortably rounded.

The builder apparently wanted a giant, Ugly porthole that will likely leak when submerged. So there's a giant, Ugly porthole that will likely leak when submerged.

Tabernacle masts are always Admirable.

The chimney appears to be the only clean thing on or near the boat. Oddly Admirable.

The dodger itself is just plain and boxy but the weird corner where the cockpit apparently used to end looks easily built. And works better with interior shelving. And indicates zero fucks given.

The greenhouse is interesting because it has two translucent panels on one side and one on the other. Suggests to me that the stuff growing all over the boat may not be the only vegetation being cultivated on board.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Happy said:

That boat transcends mere ugliness. It looks somehow...…..diseased?

It looks like it was built by goats. After chewing the wrong kind of weeds.

Tom's right though, that chimney is nice and clean.

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

It looks like it was built by goats. After chewing the wrong kind of weeds.

Tom's right though, that chimney is nice and clean.

FB- Doug

It's a Rorschach Blot of a boat, a psychological construct, projecting our anxieties back at us - we are all seeing something different, something from our darkest dreams, where good becomes evil, and beautiful becomes grotesque beyond our conscious imaginings. It has the topology of a boat, and some of the form of a boat, but isn't quite a boat. It reminds me of the nightmares I have about my second wife turning into my first wife . . . 

• Like 1

It would be a fine Chia pet one day. The shed-bimini is an engineering marvel with it's use of post and Jim Beam.

The hog is best expressed as Dutch Colonial, with a New Zealand post-apocalytipic Lord of the Rings influence...

The anchor knot is comforting. How do you determine hog when it is not clear where the deck ends and the hull begins...

image.png.dac515a3f04c3fe437b239e0a13c5047.png

On 8/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, Mr. Ed said:

It's a Rorschach Blot of a boat, a psychological construct, projecting our anxieties back at us - we are all seeing something different, something from our darkest dreams, where good becomes evil, and beautiful becomes grotesque beyond our conscious imaginings. It has the topology of a boat, and some of the form of a boat, but isn't quite a boat. It reminds me of the nightmares I have about my second wife turning into my first wife . . . 

Wow

Brother, you've traveled thru dark lands where I dare not follow. I will sit quietly and gain wisdom from your speaking.........

However, one last comment if I may: that is truly one ugly-ass boat!

FB- Doug

It might not be hogging......might be just gawdawful design.

Lots of questions come to mind:  Ferro or GRP?  Drugs, alcohol, or mental illness? All three? What in god's name does it look (and smell) like below? 

Admirable is the polished chimney and the way you can't tell deck from birdshit.

52 minutes ago, hobot said:

Do ANY boat wrecking yards actually become a viable business?

The one in Lynden has been going for several years now. I think they make their money off the lead and the rest is gravy.

On 8/7/2018 at 12:39 AM, Happy said:

It might not be hogging......might be just gawdawful design.

Lots of questions come to mind:  Ferro or GRP?  Drugs, alcohol, or mental illness? All three? What in god's name does it look (and smell) like below? 

Admirable is the polished chimney and the way you can't tell deck from birdshit.

This boat has so much spring in the shear that she would have broken in the the middle like a piñata long before you could visualize the hogging of the hull!

(hogging is the sagging of the ends of a weakening hull, due to being more concentrated weight at the bow and stern, with less floatation to offset it than the middle of the boat.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogging_and_sagging

- Stumbling

In all fairness, the pic looks like a panoramic shot. Kinda makes it look like it got its nose pushed off to the right.

If it were any other entry in this category I would use the terms bow and starboard.

And enough boat removal guys get pretty frustrated when they cut the keel off a boat and realize that they have thousand of pounds of cast iron sash weights as their prize for the scrap yard and have to rely on trying to sell a couple of sawzalled  winches and traveler tracks to pay for the fiberglass hull waste at $80/ ton. 

00x0x_9cvD4iV1R75_600x450.jpg

This has a number of features to admire.   The mast, which looks like it was stolen from an airport's aero beacon, or that it fancies itself to be a really skinny lighthouse.

00p0p_9LpQjRM29un_600x450.jpg

I admire the lack of aerodynamic considerations in the design of the harder dodger/semi open wheel house.   I also commend the use of the home window AC unit for cooling the master suite.

00r0r_3gtnUnb0JJI_600x450.jpg

I also admire the total lack of hardware on the boom for sail management, which lowers the weight aloft.   Likewise, the deletion of any blocks for the main sheet reinforce that weight management mentality.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/52-trimaran-sailboat-60hp/6646995063.html

A trimaran motor boat disguised as a sailboat.

- Stumbling

On 8/8/2018 at 11:07 PM, SloopJonB said:

The one in Lynden has been going for several years now. I think they make their money off the lead and the rest is gravy.

Yep.  I know a marina that jumps on old boat work ASAP.  Many times the owner will PAY the marina to get rid of the boat.  Sometimes the marina strips the engine and instruments, teak if there is any good teak.  Then a sawsall to the keel and the hull gets chopped up and thrown in the dumpster.

They even throw out the pulpit and pushpit because they're so boat-unique.

6 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

00x0x_9cvD4iV1R75_600x450.jpg

This has a number of features to admire.   The mast, which looks like it was stolen from an airport's aero beacon, or that it fancies itself to be a really skinny lighthouse.

00p0p_9LpQjRM29un_600x450.jpg

I admire the lack of aerodynamic considerations in the design of the harder dodger/semi open wheel house.   I also commend the use of the home window AC unit for cooling the master suite.

00r0r_3gtnUnb0JJI_600x450.jpg

I also admire the total lack of hardware on the boom for sail management, which lowers the weight aloft.   Likewise, the deletion of any blocks for the main sheet reinforce that weight management mentality.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/52-trimaran-sailboat-60hp/6646995063.html

A trimaran motor boat disguised as a sailboat.

- Stumbling

This is an innovative take on the old "core and skin" construction:

1" Air-X closed-cell foam hull wrapped in 2" fiberglass - rock solid!!

7 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Yep.  I know a marina that jumps on old boat work ASAP.  Many times the owner will PAY the marina to get rid of the boat.  Sometimes the marina strips the engine and instruments, teak if there is any good teak.  Then a sawsall to the keel and the hull gets chopped up and thrown in the dumpster.

They even throw out the pulpit and pushpit because they're so boat-unique.

The one in Lynden cuts everything off with a Sawzall - you get a big fiberglass backing plate free with every piece of hardware.

They seem to save everything - even a lot of really junky old hardware. I'll be making some trips there soon as my "new" boat is pretty needy. I'm hoping they have some good stuff because there aren't any consignment shops left around here.

I admire the keel to hull ratio on this design. That should be ohey for great adventurers.

https://redding.craigslist.org/boa/d/steel-hull-sailboat-project/6666073222.html

00b0b_2VOqgrE7jAx_600x450.jpg

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

I admire the keel to hull ratio on this design. That should be ohey for great adventurers.

https://redding.craigslist.org/boa/d/steel-hull-sailboat-project/6666073222.html

My first thought upon seeing this was, 'great, someone is selling a concert sized wok.   Great for a long lost tribe to cook said adventurers.'

- Stumbling

On 8/5/2018 at 6:26 PM, Norse Horse said:

It would be a fine Chia pet one day. The shed-bimini is an engineering marvel with it's use of post and Jim Beam.

The hog is best expressed as Dutch Colonial, with a New Zealand post-apocalytipic Lord of the Rings influence...

The anchor knot is comforting. How do you determine hog when it is not clear where the deck ends and the hull begins...

Looks like the perfect live aboard for Miss Havisham.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, chester said:

comje on you guys that's a brent swain origami master piece!

Brent wishes his boats looked that good. 

This thread just keeps on delivering.

I finally found the right word to describe the gray banana with the shed on top: SV Syphilitic.

The bilge-keeler at least will look sort of normal above the waterline, except what lunatic builds a boat that small out of steel?  Presumably the same lunatic who designed the keels.

As for the 2" glass/1" foam trimaran motorboat, I like the way they've added a mast-shaped decoration. Gives it that nautical vibe. A bit like a boat-themed pub.

Sorry I don't have any pix to contribute, around here there are no really ugly or shabby boats. Cyclone Debbie cleaned out the last of 'em, they're landfill now.

18 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

I don't think it's ugly, especially if it were in the water.

Lawn darting for beginners.

The mast appears tiny and too far aft. Looks like it could use a bigger one where the traffic cone is.

All that work, now for sale at a couple thousand bucks, and that's "with sails too." I wonder what the hourly rate works out to? All those hours could have been spent in one of the many neglected boats that are already built...

On 8/15/2018 at 11:50 AM, Norse Horse said:

I've been thinking that you could build a fire between the twin "keels," and cook a massive amount of just about anything in the main salon, and serve it through a well placed through hull. With Sail4Beers wheels , you could cater.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bull City said:

I've been thinking that you could build a fire between the twin "keels," and cook a massive amount of just about anything in the main salon, and serve it through a well placed through hull. With Sail4Beers wheels , you could cater.

Upon further thought, if you installed a charlie noble, you could roast some pigs.

It's hard to really tell from the photos but it looks well made. The fact the rust is so even suggests the parts were cut welded by someone who knew what they were doing and there wasn't a lot of farting around with angle grinders. The curves are so even, eg the cockpit combing, that you could imagine it was CNC plasma or laser cut. At any rate, what a waste of time.

8 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

It's hard to really tell from the photos but it looks well made. The fact the rust is so even suggests the parts were cut welded by someone who knew what they were doing and there wasn't a lot of farting around with angle grinders. The curves are so even, eg the cockpit combing, that you could imagine it was CNC plasma or laser cut. At any rate, what a waste of time.

Yes, when looking at steel structures from a QA standpoint, I always looked for a nice even distribution of rust!!!!

-DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:
8 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Yes, when looking at steel structures from a QA standpoint, I always looked for a nice even distribution of rust!!!!

Actually there is some truth in the above, but I was laughing too hard. Apologies

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Ha Ha no worries. The "sailboat" Bull City posted is the sort of thing you would be pleased if a couple of 15 year olds had built and then gone for a fabulous overnight camping adventure. This one seems in involve an actual adult however....

Mmm-mmm that kinda depends..... two random teenagers from the neighbor hood, previously notable for nothing but vacuous expressions? THat'd be a hoot, I'd fist-bump them for at least a decade if they did this. One of the kids from my sailing class? I'd be displeased that they paid so little attention to what constitutes a "hull." Plus, the kids from my classes know where they can get inexpensive boats that sail WAY-Y better than this one.

OTOH it's nice when they show some initiative.... and learn how to use some tools, too

-DSK

14 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

I suppose, if that really is rust, it has taken hold so deeply that it would be impossible to get a lasting finish on it. 

The only thing wrong with the design that I see that it's for steel construction. With such heavy construction, especially the deck and cabin trunk, it's hard to get  good stability. That might be the reason for the deep twin keels. Other than that, it looks pretty trim.  Is there a place for a sailboat that's slow, but indestructible?

53 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Mmm-mmm that kinda depends..... two random teenagers from the neighbor hood, previously notable for nothing but vacuous expressions? THat'd be a hoot, I'd fist-bump them for at least a decade if they did this. One of the kids from my sailing class? I'd be displeased that they paid so little attention to what constitutes a "hull." Plus, the kids from my classes know where they can get inexpensive boats that sail WAY-Y better than this one.

OTOH it's nice when they show some initiative.... and learn how to use some tools, too

-DSK

I was more thinking Huckleberry Finn. No adults anywhere to be seen, except some tools somewhere but no one to instruct in their use.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Bull City said:

Indeed. Let us move on. For your consideration:

21.jpg.ca8634a7973231eb108b8728ac1b83cd.jpg22.jpg.68011c41fc91ef1c2241d055fe3b6d98.jpg

Judging by the gash it left in the shoreline, I'm going to guess that's 3/4" plywood (because 1" is hard to find, of course) so I admire the sturdiness of the construction. I guess.

Really, the boat wrecks the scenery and should be burned.

It has a state registration number. I wonder if it has a title or a trailer.

I can see a Craigs List Ad: 

"This is a one-of-a-kind custom designed sailing vessel with state registration and title. Scantlings are in excess of Lloyds requirements. It is not a boat for beginners. Requests to inspect must be via registered mail, and you will be placed in the queue in order off receipt."

Please add your ideas.

12 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Judging by the gash it left in the shoreline, I'm going to guess that's 3/4" plywood (because 1" is hard to find, of course) so I admire the sturdiness of the construction. I guess.

Really, the boat wrecks the scenery and should be burned.

BURN IT !!! Burn the ww......... oh wait, sorry.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
On 8/20/2018 at 5:30 PM, Bull City said:

21.jpg.ca8634a7973231eb108b8728ac1b83cd.jpg22.jpg.68011c41fc91ef1c2241d055fe3b6d98.jpg

Quoted Billy Bob- "I saw a Thistle sailboat once and decided I wanted to build one for myself...  Ain't she pretty?   Just like a squealer with lipstick!"

- Stumbling

On 8/20/2018 at 10:30 AM, Bull City said:

Hmmm. The guy takes his coffin with him on his “adventures”...

Maybe we can start an SGOTW with this stud, he looks the part

922698BB-A0FB-4C36-81DE-C726660890F1.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Hmmm. The guy takes his coffin with him on his “adventures”...

Maybe we can start an SGOTW with this stud, he looks the part

Ever heard that saying, some people's destiny in life is to serve as a bad example to others?

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, chester said:

sailor GUY of the week...my guess

For an older dude (like me), Sailor Guy has some muscular legs. Must be from dragging that monstrosity around. Do you think he has a trailer?

On 8/23/2018 at 2:24 AM, Bull City said:

For an older dude (like me), Sailor Guy has some muscular legs. Must be from dragging that monstrosity around. Do you think he has a trailer?

Its from hiking back from wherever he drifted downwind to.

- Stumbling

• Like 1
On 8/21/2018 at 8:01 AM, Steam Flyer said:

BURN IT !!! Burn the ww......... oh wait, sorry.

FB- Doug

"I got better"

• Like 1
On 8/5/2018 at 6:26 PM, Norse Horse said:

Must be something in the atmosphere or the wine that causes a weird spherical aberration when photographing boats in France. Or the effects of some unknown gravitational hydrostatic mass deformation phenomena that causes boats to display strangely exaggerated curvature to the sheer line at the forward quarter.  Note the boat pictured above and the two photos of the exact same boat below. The only difference being the photo on the right was taken in France. Even Perry won't be able to debunk this conspiracy theory.

image.png.5181ff5416d4330cee6acb7f1fcc6254.png

9 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Must be something in the atmosphere or the wine that causes a weird spherical aberration when photographing boats in France. Or the effects of some unknown gravitational hydrostatic mass deformation phenomena that causes boats to display strangely exaggerated curvature to the sheer line at the forward quarter.  Note the boat pictured above and the two photos of the exact same boat below. The only difference being the photo on the right was taken in France. Even Perry won't be able to debunk this conspiracy theory.

image.png.5181ff5416d4330cee6acb7f1fcc6254.png

Eddies in the space-time continuum.

(Is he?)

1 hour ago, groundhog said:

I admire that they somehow managed to make it look like it was designed in minecraft, and still managed more funky than abysmal.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1379095745&utm_source=alerts&utm_campaign=Kijiji_Alert_LISTACTIVEADS&utm_medium=email

I admire the 2x4 foredeck and the non intrusive helm.

• $_59.JPG
2 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

I admire the 2x4 foredeck and the non intrusive helm.

• $_59.JPG

I concur, I too admire the designer's ergonometric disdain.

I also admire the effort invested in changing this former sailboat into... Something else.

- Stumbling

7 hours ago, Starkindler said:

The boat on the left is 10 years older and is powered by Guiness, so it has relaxed; the boat on the right is younger,  is up tight, and exudes foul smelling tobacco smoke.

But has better social security (pro tem)

6 hours ago, groundhog said:

I admire that they somehow managed to make it look like it was designed in minecraft, and still managed more funky than abysmal.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1379095745&utm_source=alerts&utm_campaign=Kijiji_Alert_LISTACTIVEADS&utm_medium=email

I admire everything about it. Bizarre and brilliant. A broke 20 year old could have a great time fishing and f***ing (or maybe just wallowing and w***ing, for it  might be hard to find a companion)