Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

It looks like something that would come drifting loose into the anchorage, smash up and sink all the nice pretty boats, and then just float there like a cow, looking pretty much the same as always.

Posted Images

On 6/11/2019 at 1:11 AM, zarin_nsk said:

I was so fascinated with this post-apocalyptic look when we catch up with this thing I didn't ask much questions. The guy shouted out, grinning, that he built this with a budget of 10K yuans (about 1400 USD). 

That's a pretty small budget for the size of his grin. That's Admirable and it's definitely Ugly. But not tooooo ugly like that sharpie in Mocking Ads. Winner! (For this thread, anway.)

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

I admire this creation and the name. Scroll down a bit till you see her article "My Friend Steve"

Dinghy Dreams – Page 2 – Road to the Sea

20161130-DSC_7193.jpg?resize=863%2C528

A home built rendition of a Macgregor 26!   

Barstool high tillers, lashed on rudders, a-frame mast,  damn solid dodger/bimini and standing room accommodations.   Hull has a hint of classic Aquasport to her lines.

I am .... stunned into an uncomfortable lack of words.    I congratulate the creator on that accomplishment!

- Stumbling

He built it as an homage to climate change?

Mebby I'll build one as a token of time or season change.

He says it'll be able to beach on the ice. Well, as long as the ice is down wind that feature may come in handy.

He should have named it Top Hamper.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Autonomous said:

...    ...     ...

He says it'll be able to beach on the ice. Well, as long as the ice is down wind that feature may come in handy.

He should have named it Top Hamper.

Maybe Laundry Hamper? Or Self-Hamper? Maybe shorten it to just plain Hampered?

I admire the redundancy of having two masts and two tillers. Personally I'd rather have just one, that actually worked, but two gives what might poetically be called a fearful symmetry

FB- Doug

We need an Apocolyptal Boat Festival where builders can bring creations from steampunk to kon tiki, something bigger than what Port Townsend has for the wooden boat festival.

http://www.brassscrew.org/

http://ptmainstreet.org/event/steampunk-festival-4/

https://woodenboat.org/

Image result for port townsend steampunk sailboat
On 7/1/2014 at 7:24 AM, Importunate Tom said:

If you live out in the woods, people drop boats in your yard.

My neighbor's yard has had this chainsaw-bait Boston Whaler in the background for quite a while. The other day the weird boat in the foreground showed up.

I wish the bottom paint were not so dark. This thing has an interesting bow. It carries that deep deadrise angle all the way aft. It's definitely not from around here! It's also a wreck, of course. I suspect it was bought for the trailer.

strange-bow-wreck.jpg

In other Uglyboat news, I have at last retrieved my jack stands from underneath the Sailing Center's AMF 2100. This involved putting a Bolger folding schooner on a random boat cradle that was in my driveway.

folding-schooner-suspended.jpg

The folding schooner had been on a trailer that was originally set up for an AMF 2100. Once it was on a cradle, we could get my stands out and put the trailer under the AMF.

trailering-amf-2100.jpg

Those oak trees that we are using to hang the boats are about 30 years old. I remember when my dad and my brother planted them as seedlings.

For anyone wondering how long it takes me to get tired of watching a Bolger Folding Schooner slowly rot in my driveway, the answer is about 5 years.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:18 AM, stumblingthunder said:

A home built rendition of a Macgregor 26!   

Barstool high tillers, lashed on rudders, a-frame mast,  damn solid dodger/bimini and standing room accommodations.   Hull has a hint of classic Aquasport to her lines.

I am .... stunned into an uncomfortable lack of words.    I congratulate the creator on that accomplishment!

- Stumbling

I remember this boat!  Was in Burlington VT one summer

Not sure if this random youtube find belongs quite here but it seems gloriously ad-hoc and certainly admirable. This fellow is the real hippie deal, by now an experienced sailor with what turned out to be a good boat that is still happily going along after 45 years or so. What I love about this boat is the well used woodwork. I have been in a number of cabins on places like Hornby Island that are like this with the wood having the form and patina of being built by inexperienced enthusiasts in the 70's and well used ever since . 

Edit: The interior plastering might be considered ugly but the exterior is certainly elegant enough!

These boat dreams need a thread unto themselves. This story ends with an ugly death.

This is a story that starts in Desolation Sound, from Powell River writer Grant Lawrence.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/bernard-the-german-the-tragic-tale-of-the-giant-of-desolation-sound

Krieger bought Rainbow’s Shadow, a 13-metre sailboat, before he knew how to sail (Courtesy Darragh McCarthy)

2 hours ago, chester said:

surely the same can be said of brent...no?

Brent is more a quasi-homeless resentful hermit than an old hippie.

Attitude is everything when you live on the fringe of society like that.

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Brent is more a quasi-homeless resentful hermit than an old hippie.

Attitude is everything when you live on the fringe of society like that.

I had total respect for the Pterodactyl guy when he gave a realistic assessment of the history and strengths and weaknesses of the ferrocement boat including acknowledging the lack of resale value. That shows that commendable realism and being an old hippie are in no way incompatible.

• Like 2

Oh I know.... He's been telling the same stories every year from his book.  Since before his book came out.  In 2010.  This year instead of reading previews from selected chapters again, he's reading entire chapters on the radio

I swear he's somebody's nephew at the CBC. 

Then there's his article in the latest Excla!m! Magazine which is supposed to be about somebody else and their accomplishments but is really about Grant and how this person knows Grant.  And of course there was that time they went to the cabin in Desolation. 

The thing about the Grant Lawrence story is the sailing actually turns out quite successfully, and the boat in the picture above isn't really even ugly by the standards of this place, notwithstanding the rather unfortunate Powell River airbrush art on the stern. '

Sending the thread in a bit of a different direction, I paddled out through the Kitsilano zombie fleet this evening, which still features many favourites from these pages, and as my turning mark, went around the visiting Aquarius, a 46m Perini Navi ketch. It is decidedly not a zombie but might be considered a touch broad in the beam by the standards of the Cool Boats to Admire thread. https://www.perininavi.it/yacht/1990-aquarius-formerly-xasteria/

tech_data_StBarths-Bucket17cb-06951.jpg

17 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I find Grant Lawrence incredibly annoying. 

There, I said it. 

Haha

Recycled articles are like over the hill rock stars playing that same song.

I find Billy Joel Uptown Girls annoying. Acck!

And I walked out of the movie Star Wars.

There, I said it too.

7 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

The thing about the Grant Lawrence story is the sailing actually turns out quite successfully, and the boat in the picture above isn't really even ugly by the standards of this place, notwithstanding the rather unfortunate Powell River airbrush art on the stern. '

Sending the thread in a bit of a different direction, I paddled out through the Kitsilano zombie fleet this evening, which still features many favourites from these pages, and as my turning mark, went around the visiting Aquarius, a 46m Perini Navi ketch. It is decidedly not a zombie but might be considered a touch broad in the beam by the standards of the Cool Boats to Admire thread. https://www.perininavi.it/yacht/1990-aquarius-formerly-xasteria/

Wondering if you saw Double D parked out there, the 030.

Thx

10 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Olsen 30? Do you know what colour it is? I paddle out there pretty regularly so will literally go look.

My mistake. That boat is for sale though, in False Creek. I want one but the divorce would cost too much when added to the cost of the boat.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Yacht?

Self propelled float home maybe.

Certainly outside the box. (sorry but somebody had to say it).

Don't feel sorry, you had this. Fair and square.

Has this got attention here already?

a.jpg.44ea2f1d4203110c6d4b6218741e223c.jpg

Exists in different flavors, to please everyone in the family

b.thumb.jpg.e4fa42710b5f2dcb54728300c11417fc.jpg

Bound to displease everyone else, though.

4 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

A Cubist's wet dream!

Just read the article.   Has some interesting features, jack legs to lift the barge up out of the water.   Hmmm, crew can clean the bottom of the hull without having the self-propelled barge hauled.   Just would have to make sure the sand bottom is not too soft or you run the risk of a leg sinking on the West Coast of Florida.   This is one way to get around the Florida state prohibitions from building stilt houses.  

IMG_8275.jpg

Looks to be for sale:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2018/houseboat-cubic-yacht-3535142/

A great first lair for a super-villain in training...

- Stumbling

• Like 1
8 hours ago, leuk said:

Mango and vanilla strawberry, nice!
That hell-ipad must get exciting when it gets a bit rough! You would think centering it on the ship would extend the conditions under which it would be usable, also it's so far up you better not have any significant roll!

That cube barge looks like it would make a really nice houseboat (to be on rather than to look at)

Remember the Offshore Service Vessels are work boats and under the terms of reference of this thread are inherently incapable of being considered ugly. Having said that, if one ever got turned into a private yacht it would be open season. Except that there are so many large motor yachts that are actually so much worse than these ships!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, leuk said:

Don't feel sorry, you had this. Fair and square.

Has this got attention here already?

a.jpg.44ea2f1d4203110c6d4b6218741e223c.jpg

b.thumb.jpg.e4fa42710b5f2dcb54728300c11417fc.jpg

Bound to displease everyone else, though.

Aye, it is commercial, but I commend the multi-function hard bimini over the bridge!

- Stumbling

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Yes, pleasure craft only...

Sternwheeler, that's what you want...

IMG_9208.JPG

They got the bridge deck sideways when they mounted it.

13 hours ago, Airwick said:

That hell-ipad must get exciting when it gets a bit rough! You would think centering it on the ship would extend the conditions under which it would be usable, also it's so far up you better not have any significant roll

Indeed. Also, if a helo manages to land there in rough conditions, it will still have to *stay* there.

53 minutes ago, leuk said:

Indeed. Also, if a helo manages to land there in rough conditions, it will still have to *stay* there.

Hey, all they have to do is pull out of the channel, extend the legs and poof, nice stable and level Helo pad!

- Stumbling

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Yes, pleasure craft only...

Sternwheeler, that's what you want...

IMG_9208.JPG

Seems a bit small for a Mississippi river boat. Gambling,  drinking, and dancing upstairs, private ladies and gentlemen's business downstairs.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:10 PM, low bum said:

Not really ugly at all IMHO.  If it's still in that condition at the time it was sold, it was a sweet deal for someone.    7'-10" draft kills it for me tho....

Ferro-cement, by definition alone, did not have to be ugly or poorly done.  Sadly, 99 44/100 % of them usually fail aesthetically if not also structurally.  There was a family that did a lot of ocean cruising back in the 70's on a ferro boat..  Bob and Nancy Griffith.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Water-Self-Reliant-Sailboat-Cruising/dp/0914814192

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Veeger said:

Ferro-cement, by definition alone, did not have to be ugly or poorly done.  Sadly, 99 44/100 % of them usually fail aesthetically if not also structurally.  There was a family that did a lot of ocean cruising back in the 70's on a ferro boat..  Bob and Nancy Griffith.

There's a terrific documentary on that family, I think on Amazon Prime Video.  Pretty amazing what they did.

• Like 1

My neighbor did a circumnavitation in a ~57' ferro cement he built in the 70s.  I don't remember it being unfair and it was nice looking.  Owned it for a long time after and did some pacific circuits.  UW professor of ocean floor geology: no dummie.  Then he built a ~47' steel in late 90's and went around again then a few more pacific circuits.  In his late 70's that activity had to come to an end and he gave it to some Tahitian and flew home.  The guy has a lot of get up and go for sure.  

8 hours ago, Veeger said:

I've seen a number of very well built ferros. A few were indistinguishable from glass.

I'd guess between 5% & 10% were built to a "yacht" standard. The rest were varying degrees of hippie abortions.

• Like 1
On 6/28/2019 at 10:18 PM, ride2live said:

To be truly Alaskan it needs Tyvek on at least a couple of the walls and a blue tarp somewhere.

Same as in the Carolinas. With optional frayed CSA battle flag in the yard.

• Like 1

1979 Formosa 34 center cockpit - $9900 (Oriental)

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/oriental-1979-formosa-34-center-cockpit/6909467129.html

There's a lot of ugliness to admire here. Underneath the tired state of affairs above and below decks, there are some unique, tubby bones to this boat.

I admire the ugly-as-sin, home-built, cheap-ass but probably quite functional outboard crane.  At least that is what I think it is.  But I don't know why it has a fender tied to it.  

On 6/13/2019 at 10:10 PM, low bum said:

Read the ad and it stated that the boat cannot be inspected before you purchase.  Not a particularly smart way to make a purchase.  

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/oriental-1979-formosa-34-center-cockpit/6909467129.html

There's a lot of ugliness to admire here. Underneath the tired state of affairs above and below decks, there are some unique, tubby bones to this boat.

If I stood up on one of the cockpit seats, I would get acrophobia.

Having green liquid in the toilet is a nice touch.

2 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Then there is the aft cabin...is that a puppy-dog tail? :o

00o0o_3dp8VCP24Jt_600x450.jpg

34 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

@Israel Hands Sure hope it's not a poop. And also, I question the Society. Why do people take pictures of their boat with cleaning supplies scattered all about? 

38 minutes ago, woahboy said:

@Israel Hands Sure hope it's not a poop. And also, I question the Society. Why do people take pictures of their boat with cleaning supplies scattered all about? 

Wait, wait; I know this one!  Because they want you to know that they have cleaning supplies and they did mean to use them, but gosh darn it, things just got away from them.

Right?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Hukilau said:

Wait, wait; I know this one!  Because they want you to know that they have cleaning supplies and they did mean to use them, but gosh darn it, things just got away from them.

Right?

@Hukilau It's those damn Democrats causing all this!

6 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Read the ad and it stated that the boat cannot be inspected before you purchase.  Not a particularly smart way to make a purchase.  

Sold for $6600 - hard to lose at that price.

15 hours ago, Israel Hands said:
15 hours ago, Bull City said:

I'm curious what that weird pink thing is, but not curious enough to go look (this boat is less than an hour's drive from me)

I admire the fact that while I recognize exactly where that boat is, in the picture, I have not actually seen it, in person.

FB- Doug

On 7/5/2019 at 10:01 AM, Israel Hands said:

Someone initially Thought about this.

Then, they Drew it.

Then someone actually said, let's build this AND make money

Then someone said, Cool, I want to BUY this

Then, Something faded within and without

Why does no one else WANT this, they wonder???

I've seen one of those things in the flesh.

They actually are that ugly.

Veeger is right - when you consider the time & effort & expense of bringing a boat to production, how is it possible for an abortion like that to make it all the way without someone saying "Wait a minute".

AFAIK that is the only truly ugly boat that Formosa ever built.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I've seen one of those things in the flesh.

They actually are that ugly.

Veeger is right - when you consider the time & effort & expense of bringing a boat to production, how is it possible for an abortion like that to make it all the way without someone saying "Wait a minute".

AFAIK that is the only truly ugly boat that Formosa ever built.

Sometimes drawings at scale don’t quite demonstrate the actual appearance.in full scale.  The drawings are approved, the plan is lofted, molds made, everything looks fine till the various parts are put together and then viola.  That just don’t work.  However, it is too late and careful, inventive marketing assures someone gets stuck with something really bad.   

Heard it too often “I want my boat to have this...No that is not what you want, this is what you want.  (What the perspective purchaser is being told “What he/she wants” is what the dealer has in stock.) 

On 6/26/2019 at 4:06 AM, stumblingthunder said:

A Cubist's wet dream!

Just read the article.   Has some interesting features, jack legs to lift the barge up out of the water.   Hmmm, crew can clean the bottom of the hull without having the self-propelled barge hauled.   Just would have to make sure the sand bottom is not too soft or you run the risk of a leg sinking on the West Coast of Florida.   This is one way to get around the Florida state prohibitions from building stilt houses.  

IMG_8275.jpg

Looks to be for sale:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2018/houseboat-cubic-yacht-3535142/

A great first lair for a super-villain in training...

- Stumbling

I Admire the stairs. Not so sure about the ladder.

On 7/5/2019 at 12:56 PM, Israel Hands said:

Honey, remember how we thought the dog ran away after our last cruise...

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Why are so many people unable to distinguish between a houseboat and a float home?

Perhaps "boat" has a nicer ring.

1 hour ago, toddster said:

Float home?  Innt that wot you do after drinkin at the tavern up-stream?  

If you can't stop for a pee.