Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

No trailer, no problem.  Just drill through the bilge keels and slide the axle right in. A couple of fittings from Harbor Freight and your off to the scrap yard!

Posted Images

Ugly, certainly. Boat?  Well it at least spent three weeks at sea...  This befuddling blast from the past popped up in the nooze today. I have no recollection of the story, but we only took the sunday papers at the time.  

https://www.oregonlive.com/history/2019/12/fbi-most-wanted-fugitive-built-yellow-submarine-in-oregon-40-years-ago-disappeared-at-sea-with-7-year-old-girl.html

"Yellow Submarine, MkI"

3477RLCTGNCN7ODDREQSISEV7U.jpg

"Yellow Submarine, MkII"

5CEP3DN5RFFIRCNDYGCLXE2P5U.jpg

16 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Interesting trim.

fo9dBk5.jpg

I should have mentioned that on the starboard side of that boat, there is a section about 8" by 6' that is badly stove in, to the point you could see into the boat.

On 12/12/2019 at 8:57 AM, Norse Horse said:

Some ugliness going on when you mount a cabin from a fish boat on a sailboat. Also some extreme caulking and pig lipstick going on a frankenferro. I do admire the name and the transom shape and the kids starting out thing.

https://comoxvalley.craigslist.org/boa/d/north-central-island-live-aboard-boat/7033573297.html

Blog. https://somedaylady.wordpress.com/

00B0B_8QoRVdeV7N_600x450.jpg

Bull rails AND cleats? Madness  

On 12/13/2019 at 4:11 PM, Israel Hands said:

When powerboats riff on sailboats, the result can be ugly.

Image result for dumb looking boat

*IF* I were to want to cruise the Great Loop, I would look for a boat like this:  small, narrow, easy to handle, efficient. 

I admire the attempt to make a cruising motorboat that doesn't look like a camper trailer on a barge.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, bugger said:

*IF* I were to want to cruise the Great Loop, I would look for a boat like this:  small, narrow, easy to handle, efficient. 

I admire the attempt to make a cruising motorboat that doesn't look like a camper trailer on a barge.  

Needs more windows. One of the best things about mobos is being able to look outside without standing up.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, bugger said:

I fully agree.  Once upon a time, narrow hulled, easily pushed displacement hulls abounded.  Then we all decided we needed boats that planned, no matter how inefficient or expensive or how much power it took to do so.   Then we all wanted trawler style hulls that were wide and did not plane.  Nothing like trying to push a heavy wide, displacement boat through the water to really destroy efficiency.  

What’s wrong with long, narrow hulls.  Outside of a lack of square footage, nothing really.  This is nothing new to many sailors.  We like efficient.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Santana20AE said:
23 hours ago, bugger said:

I fully agree.  Once upon a time, narrow hulled, easily pushed displacement hulls abounded.  Then we all decided we needed boats that planned, no matter how inefficient or expensive or how much power it took to do so.   Then we all wanted trawler style hulls that were wide and did not plane.  Nothing like trying to push a heavy wide, displacement boat through the water to really destroy efficiency.  

What’s wrong with long, narrow hulls.  Outside of a lack of square footage, nothing really.  This is nothing new to many sailors.  We like efficient.  

Well, two things happened. One is cheap fuel. The other is that more and more people, myself included, realized that living aboard a motorboard is way more comfy than living aboard a sailboat. OTOH traveling in a motorboat is a PITA, whereas sailing a pleasure.

Those narrow efficient hulls roll like sonsabeetches. Also they don't like being overloaded with household stuff. And they are long for their displacement, leading to big marina fees for a relatively modest boat. But they're great looking and well behaved (except for the rolling).

We want all the comforts of home! And we don't like long boring transits from Point A to Point B! Therefor, we logically demand a suburban house that planes!

FB- Doug

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

We want all the comforts of home! And we don't like long boring transits from Point A to Point B! Therefor, we logically demand a suburban house that planes!

FB- Doug

My preference was always modeled more along the lines of a cabin in the woods than a suburban house.

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, two things happened. One is cheap fuel. The other is that more and more people, myself included, realized that living aboard a motorboard is way more comfy than living aboard a sailboat. OTOH traveling in a motorboat is a PITA, whereas sailing a pleasure.

Those narrow efficient hulls roll like sonsabeetches. Also they don't like being overloaded with household stuff. And they are long for their displacement, leading to big marina fees for a relatively modest boat. But they're great looking and well behaved (except for the rolling).

FB- Doug

All good points.  In these times I believe the rolling could be controlled by computer driven planes while underway, much the way cruise ships do the same.   However, since marina fees are driven by LOA going long is never going to be cheap.  

When I was a teen, two neighbors on the bayou had boats, radically different but both powered by the same 50hp, four cylinder Mercury’s.  The boat across the bayou had a very narrow hull. The boat down the bayou had a wide hull.  Both were roughly the same length.  The narrow hull always had problems planning and was a terrible water ski boat.  The wide hulled craft, pulled easily, was just as fast and overall a much, better boat.  Pulled waterskiers much better.  Wider seems to be much more versatile.  Narrow is super efficient at non-planing speeds, the point that makes all of your observations valid.  So, yes your points are proven correct.    

In my world today, I would be better off with the efficient rather than the quick and comfy.  But, Brenda Lea and I own and live in a cottage on the lake, living aboard is not an issue.   All said, since we still enjoy skiing, even at our relatively ancient age, we still keep the MasterCraft handy.  Wide is good (too) 

9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Also, early marine engines had low horsepower.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Have powerboats gotten into the twin steering station fad?

There are lots with triple stations now. Flybridge, cabin, cockpit. Somebody figured out that it wasn't a lot of fun pulling up to a dock and having to make a mad dash outside or downstairs to tie up.

2 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Civilized boating destinations will have Archie and Biff standing by to handle your dock lines.

What are these "civilized boating destinations" of which you speak?

And if anybody is going to handle my dock lines, I don't want Biff.

r34fxLZ.jpg

25 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

r34fxLZ.jpg

Roche Harbor.

I agree, I'd much rather have Milf service me than Biff.

5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

r34fxLZ.jpg

Ish, behave.

"Handle your dock lines" isn't a euphemism.

Although now that I think on it, it probably should be...

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Nice bull rails

Civilized country, you say?

FB- Doug

Note the one foot patch on the side of the dock. I'd say someone is missing a finger.:unsure:

Expensive marina in Croatia,I don't remember which exactly. Met at the entrance by a RIB which dropped aboard a couple of well built young men in a very tight white uniform to moor your boat. To keep things fair a very attractive young lady in part of a skirt would arrive a little later to do the paperwork.

Target market was the slightly too large charter yachts recently departed from Split.

4 hours ago, Pipe Dream said:

Still ugly though.

I think we can hone in on the specific fugliness of this boat. The combination and placement of the dark windows and cabin top are just wrong. 

image.png.931a8d183863011f4ac395b49b5d69c9.png

Carry the fixed ports further aft, maybe lighten them for less contrast, lighten the fixed dodger windows (and lower dodger height), and you've got a pretty boat.

3 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

image.png.931a8d183863011f4ac395b49b5d69c9.png

Carry the fixed ports further aft, maybe lighten them for less contrast, lighten the fixed dodger windows (and lower dodger height), and you've got a pretty boat.

Hacking ten feet off the stern would help a lot.

8 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Hacking ten feet off the stern would help a lot.

Astral Van is right.  However, after a look at the interior photos, I'm for mocking the whole boat. Stone counters and marble shower?  Looks like something only the Murdochs might want. The future owner better have truckloads of cash to keep that thing up.

10 hours ago, Pipe Dream said:

hmmm. I can admire that it would be supremely comfortable and probably very well built. Still ugly though.

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1983-sparkman-stephens-custom/OAG-AD-17459964/

efa468998ed8ebf4a6ac5c0b4c7b0c9d.jpg

Olin must be up to several hundred RPM in his grave.

58 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

I admire the sheer, the 7 portlights in a row and the fact a whole Bayliner fits inside the hull with room left for junk on the trunk.

<sincere applause>

Vicious yet refined. Truly you are a master of the art, sir

FB- Doug

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

I admire the sheer, the 7 portlights in a row and the fact a whole Bayliner fits inside the hull with room left for junk on the trunk.

Gotta deduct a few points over the fact that there are only 6 ports in a row.

And you didn't specify the model of Binliner.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Gotta deduct a few points over the fact that there are only 6 ports in a row.

And you didn't specify the model of Binliner.

Got me there. -_-

That boom is huge. It must make time with that much sail area.

I admire that the design was inspired by a Navy helicopter carrier.   That quarterdeck is practically a landing pad.  When not used for helicopter operations, a pretty good game of ball hockey can be played but the non-skid is hard on the knees (but I digress).  

I admire the submarine style hatch below.

As ungainly looking as she is, that seems to me to be a boat designed to be practical above all else.  She seems roomy and well-appointed without being fussy or luxurious, and equipped to be self-sufficient for quite some time.  I'm really digging the dual crow's nests.  Putting that on my wish list.

On 12/31/2019 at 3:09 AM, Pipe Dream said:

I know this isn't Mocking Ads but the listing says this boat has:

Huge refridgeration

and

Extensive saftery equipment

and from the Department of Redundancy Department,

'CAVU' (Clear Air Visibility Unlimited)

Umm, not quite. Anyway, the yuge refridgerator doors were pretty Admirable.

18 hours ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

I know this isn't Mocking Ads but the listing says this boat has:

Huge refridgeration

and

Extensive saftery equipment

and from the Department of Redundancy Department,

'CAVU' (Clear Air Visibility Unlimited)

Umm, not quite. Anyway, the yuge refridgerator doors were pretty Admirable.

You can never have too much saftery!

- Stumbling

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, dorydude said:

The main advantage of multihulls is the amount of junk you can store on them.

I admire the very early version of the MastClimber as well as the fact that it still floats.

IMG_20200301_184458558_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200301_184532214_HDR.jpg

Hey, is that the boat the Kevin Costner movie was based on???

11 hours ago, dorydude said:

I admire the very early version of the MastClimber as well as the fact that it still floats.

IMG_20200301_184532214_HDR.jpg

It only sinks at high tide.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Oh come on. That is so judgemental, so-o harsh, man

It would be better to have one titled BEST Floating Garbage Pile

FB- Doug

I am judgemental about that sort of crap (among other things) - those sort of assholes caused a huge problem here when they scummed up False Creek with their garbage scows. The city got so fed up with it that the brought in rules that limited how long you can anchor there, required a permit etc.

Now everyone has to anchor in English Bay and the storms take out boats regularly. There ain't moorage for them so...

That sort of trash is probably what's behind the Georgia anchoring thing.

On 2/20/2020 at 4:48 PM, toddster said:

Quite a collection here:  Well, the one in the middle is just a work boat but look at the company it keeps.

200220152131-panama-drug-bust-semi-subme

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/20/americas/panama-drug-bust-semi-submersible-vessel/index.html

That's the Aeronavel dock across from our marina in Bocas, some crazy shots of that thing trying to sneak up the coast.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:15 AM, SloopJonB said:

Olin must be up to several hundred RPM in his grave.

There was a similar sailboat in PV who added a crane cradle huge RIB.  We met them out cruising and they couldn't get into most of the spots as there is surf, ended up bailing to the next marina. Kinda wierd.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:59 AM, dorydude said:

I admire the fact that less than half of the rudder is submerged, greatly reducing the amount of fouling.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:39 PM, Autonomous said:

At least the boat borne parasites aren't throwing as many of their needles on the sidewalk as their landlocked brethren...

They just drop them over the side.

Dunno... I was probing into an unseen crevice with my fingers - between the cabin top and the liner on an inside corner of a cabinet... and came up with a syringe and un-capped needle. :blink:

I hope there aren't any more of them on board, but became really hesitant to stick my fingers into any unseen spaces...

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, toddster said:

Not quite sure where this goes.  The builder says that this is "a house built like a catamaran."  So of course, it ends up looking like...

https://youtu.be/xYF6W6KMyXA 

Well,,, I suppose if you added a pair of hull shaped additions...

51 minutes ago, toddster said:

Not quite sure where this goes.  The builder says that this is "a house built like a catamaran."  So of course, it ends up looking like...

https://youtu.be/xYF6W6KMyXA 

this is kurt hughes, a very well-known multihull designer.

Hmm... there used to be a big ferrocement hull out in the sagebrush along the highway, a few miles downstream from there.  I wouldn't be surprised if its still there.

Nope - Google Earth says there's a fancy winery there now.  And a lot more development than there used to be.

• 5 months later...

The Society needs to meet again. Video I took last Saturday. 

I really like this boat. The guy who built it has made it a very good little sailer, upwind and down. It's only 8' long, so it isn't fast. The builder has cruised this little thing all over from the the OBX to the Gulf Coast and he's done just fine. He's got a Hunter 26, a Santana 2023R and and Nacra 5.7, but he likes this one for ease transport and setup for just messing about. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Hukilau said:

That's an amazing refit.  I agree that the hardtop doesn't look "right", but it does look practical.

It's a bit clogged to my taste:

But the rest is superb, yes. The overall execution is incredibly competent.That dodger, though,  is a weird decision.  

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...