Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

This is my old boat (old, in the sense of 60+ years, and old, in the sense of, I sold her with a heavy heart)

I think she might qualify, but she always looked good to me.

When did you sell your boat, zed?
  • Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

No trailer, no problem.  Just drill through the bilge keels and slide the axle right in. A couple of fittings from Harbor Freight and your off to the scrap yard!

Posted Images

But one last suggestion....

Aviateur_Underbody.jpg

Could it be fast?

Oh my. God.

Can IMAGINE the pounding uphill in any sort of seaway ? That second one definately falls in the "is that the box it shipped in ?" category. I wonder how it sails.

Note the dual rudders. Lay that baby over at a 45 degree angle and you have a nice V shaped hull- won't pound a bit. The rudders are almost orange (probably a red shift from such speed)- that is your clue. There is a class of them. Sponsored by dentists.

Actually looks kind of cool, homebuilt class? The name reminds me of someone...

It's an Eric Henseval design - meant to be a cheap 19' transoceanic cruiser. I think it meets its design brief:

http://hensevalyd-en...aviateur-5-70m/

I don't think aesthetics was a big part of the design - practicality and ease-of-build was. The designer is capable of designing pretty boats as well.

It's French. That should explain everything.

Mike

Ah, but it serves double duty as lectern. The owner dons a green surplice & stand in the Douchepit on Sundays, reading excerpts from The Fountainhead to his crew.

Well, the literary choice appears appropriate to the Douchepit® ;^)

The surplice may be a bit of overkill.

But one last suggestion....

Aviateur_Underbody.jpg

Could it be fast?

Oh my. God.

Can IMAGINE the pounding uphill in any sort of seaway ? That second one definately falls in the "is that the box it shipped in ?" category. I wonder how it sails.

Note the dual rudders. Lay that baby over at a 45 degree angle and you have a nice V shaped hull- won't pound a bit. The rudders are almost orange (probably a red shift from such speed)- that is your clue. There is a class of them. Sponsored by dentists.

Actually looks kind of cool, homebuilt class? The name reminds me of someone...

It's an Eric Henseval design - meant to be a cheap 19' transoceanic cruiser. I think it meets its design brief:

http://hensevalyd-en...aviateur-5-70m/

I don't think aesthetics was a big part of the design - practicality and ease-of-build was. The designer is capable of designing pretty boats as well.

It's French. That should explain everything.

Mike

Yes as my dear dad used to say regarding car mechanicals "Son there's the right way, the wrong way and then there's the French way!"

I propose there should be a difficulty ratio applied to the ugliness in accordance with length.

edit: also a multiplier for a production boat, my suggestion below is an owner build.

i've seen many a <25' boat meet the ugliness criteria just for headroom and smaller = cheaper, i spotted one in the flesh the other day and was going to photo it for here until i got a pang of guilt after the owner showed me how to set up my cunningham, i just couldn't do it, he was a nice guy.

roberts 40' ?

post-72500-0-77321500-1359704773_thumb.jpgpost-72500-0-59951100-1359704952_thumb.jpg

Sparau:

Very god idea. Why don't you work on a formula.

Poor HALCYON. Like a kid forced to go to school in an ugly sweater. Maybe a drunk in a powrboat will clip his stern some day and clean that monstrosity off. There's a hell of a moment on that dinghy being carried tht high. The loads on the base of that "thing" must be huge when the boat is bouncing around.

I think the hull on poor Halcyon looks just fine. But I when I was kid I loved how Thunderbirds looked because I thought the hard chines made them look fast. The house on Halcyon is way out of proproportion though. Cut the house down by 40% and lower the booms and that boat would be OK, IMO.

This is my old boat (old, in the sense of 60+ years, and old, in the sense of, I sold her with a heavy heart)

When did you sell your boat, zed?

In November, to a nice kid studying environmental engineering at Trent. He parked her in Peterborough for the winter.

My friend talked me into using his Siren 17 next year (they haven't used it in a few years). Easier trailering/launching/rigging, plus no more wood to paint...

Even my wife said she'll miss the character though. Don't know why anyone says the day you sell your boat is supposed to be happy.

I kinda like this:

It looks like the offspring of a drunken one night stand involving a 4-4-0 locomotive and a Nonsuch.

11365300_102_240920101621_20.jpg

11365300_102_240920101621_19.jpg

It's kinda cool.

It looks like the hull and rig started life as a catboat.

I would classify it as a Tryhard.

Wow. It's actually pretty well done for what it is - by the pic.

But it looks like it's been designed by Willy Wonka.

Either that Ted Brewer on Magic Mushrooms.

Probably because my first boat was a catboat, this one kinda intrigues me. Nope, it isn't likely to be what we'd describe as 'spritely' but spending a weekend or a week tucked away up in Desolation Sound on this baby would not really be a hardship at all. Think of the interesting conversations that such a boat might inspire amongst your brethren up there. They may go away thankful that they have what they have but, that's not a bad thing either.

But it looks like it's been designed by Willy Wonka.

Either that Ted Brewer on Magic Mushrooms.

It looks very northern European to me, especially the very small cockpit and what looks to be a hard dodger. Also the willingness to varnish. I wonder what they would make of her at a catboat regatta on Cape Cod.

I bought a 1970 Peugeot station wagon new. That was one of the best cars I have ever owned.

A diesel 504? My neighbor used to have one; fueled it from his heating oil tank. (in upstate NY)

Most winter mornings he was to be found under the car with a blowtorch warming the fuel line - heating oil, which was pretty much diesel #2, had a lot of paraffin in it that solidified well in cold weather...

He sure loved that car, though.

I bought a 1970 Peugeot station wagon new. That was one of the best cars I have ever owned.

A diesel 504? My neighbor used to have one; fueled it from his heating oil tank. (in upstate NY)

Most winter mornings he was to be found under the car with a blowtorch warming the fuel line - heating oil, which was pretty much diesel #2, had a lot of paraffin in it that solidified well in cold weather...

We had a 505TD for a while back in the 80's. Great engine terrible electrics. Ran great but never knew if we would have lights, especially tail-lights and brake lights. Not that cold up here but I did have an electric block heater installed so it started easy every morning.

Once did northbound I-5 from the California border to Washington Border in four hours flat and got 38 MPG while doing it. That was back in my SCCA ProRally days. Funny how this sailing forum brings back all sorts of non-sailing memories.

The saying in the car biz is:

"The French don't copy anybody.... and nobody copies the French"

It doesn't apply quite as well to boats. Maybe they are better sailors than they are drivers.

In 1970 when I was 17, myself, five other students and a teacher bought a beater Citroen DS 21 witht he intent of traveling around europe for 6 weeks. 7 people in a Ds 21 is damned cramped with 4 in the back and 3 in the front. The trunk was jammed and we had a roof rack which was piled high even though each of us brought rucksacks and sleeping bags as our only luggage. OK one guy brought his guitar. Well the DS 21 was a very comfortable riding car what with its hydraulic suspension and all, but the hydraulics bit the dust about 3 weeks in while we were climbing a steep hill in southwest France. We limped in to Beziers France and traded the car for an old Peugeot 404 3 seat wagon. The 404 burned about 4 liters of oil a day (we looked like a destroyer laying a smokescreen on the highway) but it was much more comfortable since we could go 2-4-2 in the seating. That car lasted into Spain and back through the Riviera to Italy, then up through Austria and on to Amsterdam. Fun trip.

Thats entirely possible, many people loved their Pugs. At the time we were looking at a Renault that had the stick shift coming out of the dashboard, an R4 I believe.

My friend talked me into using his Siren 17 next year (they haven't used it in a few years). Easier trailering/launching/rigging, plus no more wood to paint...

Even my wife said she'll miss the character though. Don't know why anyone says the day you sell your boat is supposed to be happy.

That is the silliest cliche ever. You know who says shit like that?

People who really don't like boats.

You're gonna have ot come hang out on the Dock next season,. we are gonna be one Siren short, so we need to fill the quota.

This might be the Wittholz original catboat. It's 29 ft and a husky 15,000 lbs. (The same brochure has a 25-footer which, you absolutely insist, I would happily accept as a gift.)

post-5724-0-06278200-1359762822_thumb.jpg

Plenty of cruising room.

This is a cat, or maybe a cow, with a new hat:

cowmaran-t-top.jpg

OK, so it's a power catamaran, or Cowmaran, but there is sailboat relevance.First use of the new rocket launchers: the safety boat flag for the Charlotte Harbor Regatta.

Speaking of ugly powerboats that I like anyway, I saw this Great Harbor 37 on the way in to the marina today.

great-harbor-37-trawler.jpg

And now for something that really belongs in some other thread on some other forum, but I happen to be here at the moment...

peter-w-launch.jpg

The original ad listed the LOA at 25', aux power is a 30 hp diesel. Mind you the same ad also listed a 17000 lb displacement, so the LOA may not be accurate.

Either that or the scantlings are, er, generous.

This is a cat, or maybe a cow, with a new hat:

cowmaran-t-top.jpg

OK, so it's a power catamaran, or Cowmaran, but there is sailboat relevance.First use of the new rocket launchers: the safety boat flag for the Charlotte Harbor Regatta.

Speaking of ugly powerboats that I like anyway, I saw this Great Harbor 37 on the way in to the marina today.

great-harbor-37-trawler.jpg

And now for something that really belongs in some other thread on some other forum, but I happen to be here at the moment...

peter-w-launch.jpg

I want a cowmaran! With a lightweight (canvas?) pilot house.

Thats entirely possible, many people loved their Pugs. At the time we were looking at a Renault that had the stick shift coming out of the dashboard, an R4 I believe.

Oh yeah, I drove an R4 all over Germany for a summer as a high school kid, twisting that umbrella handle and flogging the mighty 750cc to within an inch (2.54 centimeters!) of its life. Great memories, lousy car...

Mike

Randy Reynolds has something like it, available as a production boat.

Yes, I have looked at it.

You guys know the rules: pics or it didn't happen. And for this thread, try to get one from an unflattering angle.

Kim, there is discussion of a Cowmaran II, or possibly modifications to the existing Cowmaran. The owner found that pitching tents on deck was not really for him. His wife did not even have to try it to learn it was not for her. The owner of that power launch (that doesn't belong in this thread) is meeting with the Cowmaran owner and another local Polynavicular Moribus victim this coming Wednesday to discuss it.

Maxx:

The hull came from a Charlse Whittholz catboat design. The rest came out of the owner/builder's imagination. Projects like this are fun for the owner but they can produce a boat that only a mother can love and resale is a problem.

I'm just having some fun with it Bob. As an old broker friend of mine use to say "Yes sir, but you will be buried in that boat if you buy this."

Randy Reynolds has something like it, available as a production boat.

Yes, I have looked at it.

You guys know the rules: pics or it didn't happen. And for this thread, try to get one from an unflattering angle.

Kim, there is discussion of a Cowmaran II, or possibly modifications to the existing Cowmaran. The owner found that pitching tents on deck was not really for him. His wife did not even have to try it to learn it was not for her. The owner of that power launch (that doesn't belong in this thread) is meeting with the Cowmaran owner and another local Polynavicular Moribus victim this coming Wednesday to discuss it.

Reynolds 33 Power Cat

post-8115-0-62437500-1359829269_thumb.jpg

post-8115-0-40366500-1359829275_thumb.gif

Based on my experiences with power cats in a seaway I recommend they consider adding some beam. The best riding Power Cat I have driven was a 35' x 9.5' Alan Andrews designed 4000 pound cat with twin Honda 150's. (It had too much engine in my view, but it would hit 40 with the 150's. I don't need or want more than 25 knots cruise so I would use smaller engines.) Andrew Pictures below.

I find my 6000 pound 26' x 8.5' Glacier Bay does not ride as well as my 12,000 pound 26' x 10' Armstrong did. But the 4000 pound Andrews was by far the best riding so weight is not the factor, I thing length to beam has most impact.

But what do I know, I am just an accountant.

post-8115-0-07322800-1359829590_thumb.jpeg

post-8115-0-78555500-1359829594_thumb.jpeg

post-8115-0-62384600-1359829602_thumb.jpeg

post-8115-0-30275700-1359829634_thumb.jpg

Colorado:

Sorry but you are wrong.

If you want to correct me then do your homework first.

That is a hull built to Charles Whitholz lines, catboat lines. It has a catboat rig. The deck is most certainly weird. It may be a mis-shapen catboat in terms of the deck but at it's heart it can only be a catboat.

Go ahead and argue with me about it. I'm in the mood, eager even and you will have your hands full.

33 posts and you are correcting me?

Ok, I'm not going to delete that previous post. I yam what I yam.

But allow me to answer it the way my wonderful 5th grade teacher wife would have preferred I asnwer it. I'll try: This is going to hurt.

Colorado:

You could be right.

But the way I see it is like this:

Whitholz catboat hull

Whitholz catboat rig

Funky deck

I don't think the deck configuration has anything to do the the category the boat falls into.

Is a sloop with a funky deck not a sloop?

Is a ketch with a fucky deck not a ketch?

Is a schooner with a funky deck not a schooner?

Did Keith Richards really have his entire bood supply replaced?

Blah, blah, blah

So, while this weird looking boat may not meet your criteria for what a "catboat" should be and I can most certainly understand that, it is till a catboat by the accepted definition of what makes a catboat a catboat..

That was painfull. I was happier with my previous post.

One minute until the opera. The savage beast needs soothing.

Colorado:

Sorry but you are wrong.

That is a hull built to Charles Whitholz lines, catboat lines. It has a catboat rig. The deck is most certainly weird. It may be a mis-shapen catboat in terms of the deck but at it's heart it can only be a catboat.

Go ahead and argue with me about it. I'm in the mood, eager even and you will have your hands full.

I apologize Mr. Perry. I am in no way qualified to correct you. I visit this little room to only to learn and be entertained. I have no desire to argue with you. Again, I apologize.

Colorado:

Sorry but you are wrong.

I apologize Mr. Perry. I am in no way qualified to correct you. I visit this little room to only to learn and be entertained. I have no desire to argue with you. Again, I apologize.

You are supposed to get all hostile in return while we sit on the sidelines offering pithy commentary. You just wiped out an afternoon of fun for many. I hope you're happy now.

Bob, HTFU. Diplomacy is for pussies.

Colorado:

Sorry but you are wrong.

You are supposed to get all hostile in return while we sit on the sidelines offering pithy commentary. You just wiped out an afternoon of fun for many. I hope you're happy now.

Bob, HTFU. Diplomacy is for pussies.

As a replacement, may I offer...

Elegua, no fair posting steel boats under construction and I think that one may well look good when done.

What's up with the lap strake lines not lining up on that white one? That's weird.

Kim, thanks for your Cowmaran thoughts. I will share them with the brain trust.

Took a few candidate pics today but I'm too whipped to go to my big computer and fool with them right now. One was a remarkably good looking ugly boat, one Wharram (is that cheating?) and one fat cruiser.

Group hug? :ph34r: :)

I have just poured a dram of of Port Ellen. I lift the glass to all who find kinship here.

Ardbeg or Bowmore for me, please

Just finished up my sunset glass of red wine so it's time for something will a little more bite.

And BTW go ahead and argue with Bob Perry if you if you have some good idea what you're talking about. I can't stand groveling and while he knows a hell of a lot about boats & sailing, he doesn't know everything.

FB- Doug

I erred as a newbie .... in many ways but I posted this in another thread about a well known motor sail craft ...

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-sailboats-sail-power-boat-combo-W0QQAdIdZ447748074

Date Listed 14-Jan-13 Price $2,500.00 Address Shelburne, ON L0N 1S8, Canada

View map For Sale By Owner Colour Silver

16 ft aluminum boat custom built deck and interior built of mahogany

comes complete with the following

Sabostad sails.

2masts

drop keel

Binicle ||||||||||||||||||||||||& steering wheel at front

Johnson 25 hp

2 sets of sculling oars

Don

$(KGrHqJ,!jQFDwnVHuP4BQ9NpnjVg!~~48_20.JPG

$T2eC16dHJF8E9nnC8HsNBQ9NpHBv6g~~48_20.JPG

I propose there should be a difficulty ratio applied to the ugliness in accordance with length.

edit: also a multiplier for a production boat, my suggestion below is an owner build.

i've seen many a <25' boat meet the ugliness criteria just for headroom and smaller = cheaper, i spotted one in the flesh the other day and was going to photo it for here until i got a pang of guilt after the owner showed me how to set up my cunningham, i just couldn't do it, he was a nice guy.

roberts 40' ?

post-72500-0-77321500-1359704773_thumb.jpgpost-72500-0-59951100-1359704952_thumb.jpg

Looks to me like a Van de Stadt .... maybe a 34 but more likely a Carribean 40 albeit much bastadised.

Summer:

That is a weird post. Are you sure about the spelling of the sailmaker?

It's not hard to post here. Speaking English is a good start.

We are a friendly bunch.

I do believe he's quoting the ad. I don't think we can pin third-party language morphing on him.

roberts 40' ?

Looks to me like a Van de Stadt .... maybe a 34 but more likely a Carribean 40 albeit much bastadised.

Womby..............where U been????

Summer:

That is a weird post. Are you sure about the spelling of the sailmaker?

It's not hard to post here. Speaking English is a good start.

We are a friendly bunch.

I do believe he's quoting the ad. I don't think we can pin third-party language morphing on him.

Korse we can Ish, youve gone soft!!

OK, this is going a weird direction. Back on topic... is there any such thing as a good looking boat with leeboards? I have become increasingly impressed with them over the years, but still think they look funny. Yeah, even this one.

bright-wood-leeboarder.jpg

That's William Atkin's 18' leeboard knockabout Gretchen. She looks like a cute little cruiser!

One of my younger brothers built a 20' leeboard cruiser. He kept that boat for a long time using her as a beachable cruiser for our local waters and the San Juans.

Yes, I know...I remember as a kid paging through old magazines from the 50's & 60's thinking what the hell are these things....ergo the "not sure this qualifies". However, he seems to have inspired a lot of lesser talent to produce truly horrendous designs.

still...

cj_MingSV.jpg

I love the Brits obstinate enthusiasm. When they perfect a new material/manufacturing process, they use it for everything. Forever. Tortured ply/hot moulding? we'll build planes, boats, hell, we'll build cars out of it! And it all looks sorta the same: soft tumblehome, house that bows dramatically from fore to aft,short foredeck, tall bow, tapering back to a small transom, sorta like a mosquto fuselage in cross section.

One of the nicest looking small catamarans is brit built ply:

Bill o'brien's Bobcat:

a3273da4da97fe91ece7e96405ec9b1d.jpg

I love the Brits obstinate enthusiasm. When they perfect a new material/manufacturing process, they use it for everything. Forever. Tortured ply/hot moulding? we'll build planes, boats, hell, we'll build cars out of it! And it all looks sorta the same: soft tumblehome, house that bows dramatically from fore to aft,short foredeck, tall bow, tapering back to a small transom, sorta like a mosquto fuselage in cross section.

One of the nicest looking small catamarans is brit built ply:

Bill o'brien's Bobcat:

a3273da4da97fe91ece7e96405ec9b1d.jpg

It looks like it's going to sneeze.

OK, this is going a weird direction. Back on topic... is there any such thing as a good looking boat with leeboards? I have become increasingly impressed with them over the years, but still think they look funny. Yeah, even this one.

bright-wood-leeboarder.jpg

So, so many designs trace back to the Dutch zeeschouw or canal boat.

media_13_6890_media_13_6890_w600.jpg

That pert nose & gypsy-barge coach can be seen everywhere: the Folkboat and all its offspring, the Compacs, Potters, Carl Alberg's designs....

dolledries.jpg

Catboat-like interior room, too. They can get a bit homely & idiosyncratic. But worthy of admiration, always.:)

Zeeschouw_de_Woeste_Walvisch_20.JPG

Hmm. I'm thinking of his Pearson designs. They carry their prows high like a schouw & have a verrrry similar window distribution:

Hado-422x207.jpg

Alberg was more likely to dog-house his coaches (as many Folkboats do), and his stern counters are nothing like the canal boats. But my eyes sees some Dutchness in that pug nose. Even the little Typhoon looks like you could load that forepeak with herring.;)

Alberg-Typhoon_forward_Profile.jpg

I love Atalanta for it's art deco style. It would be a great boat for cold water cruising, but I don' think I'd want one in the Florida Gulf. My old Oday Daysailer was from Uffa as well, and while it looked a little weird from some angles, I think it looked pretty good overall and it definitely sailed well.

Is there any such thing as a good looking boat with leeboards?

Pretty much what Bob said. When they are applied to a boat with conventional yacht styling, they always look out of place, but on a boat type developed with leeboards in mind, they look fine.