Uglyboat Admiration Society Hang Out

That looks like a big Tolleycraft under that.

They were good boats but kicked up horrendous wakes.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, the boat looks like shit.  But they're smiling, which is the reason to sail......

Writing from a country that owns a number of second hand submarines, it seems to me that giving such a craft to a drug cartel would be a great way to immediately bankrupt their operation.

This is what happens when you wear socks with sandals.

Posted Images

On 3/17/2021 at 6:59 PM, Hukilau said:

It's not so easy to buy a real submarine; I don't doubt that some corrupt third world navy would sell one to a private party, but I can't believe that's going to be a normal thing.  And it's a far cry from finding someone who can build a low rider to having the ability to build an actual submersible.  The technology may be over 100 years old, but figuring out how to actually get one built (even to WWI standards) has to be limited to a very few number of people.

Even assuming you could find a used sub or figure out how to build one, training a crew to be able to sail one successfully has to be just as difficult.    

Granted, the money to be made is vast; still, I don't see how spending millions on one vessel and crew is going to be cost effective.

I know of one mad scientist who built one himself as well as space rockets, Peter Madsen.

Tiltalt for at dræbe Kim Wall: Her er historien om 'Raket-Madsens'  vanvittige liv | BT Nyheder - www.bt.dk

He was convicted a couple of years ago of murder, commited onboard his homebuilt submarine. From wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Madsen

On 11 August 2017, Madsen was arrested after the sinking of UC3 Nautilus and the disappearance of Kim Wall, a Swedish journalist who had last been seen alive aboard the submarine.[24][25]

The following day, a court ruled that he be held in pre-trial detention for 24 days on a charge of negligent homicide.[26] Madsen initially claimed that he disembarked Wall on land at the tip of Refshaleøen on the night before the sinking.[24][27] He later changed his statement, saying that she had died on board in an accident, and that he had buried her at sea.[28] According to the Danish police, the submarine was deliberately sunk, contradicting Madsen's explanation regarding a technical fault.[27]

A human torso washed up on the coast of Amager on 21 August, which DNA tests concluded belonged to Wall.[29] Chief investigator Jens Møller reported that the torso had been stabbed multiple times to vent accumulating gases that could float it to the surface, and that a piece of metal had been fastened to it to ensure its sinking to the seabed.[30] On 25 August, Madsen's charge was extended to improper handling of a corpse.[31]

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Santana20AE said:

That son of a bitch stole my boat’s name :angry:

Put duct tape over his graphics. He'll never notice.

Woe is me.

I have a new slip neighbor. It is quite ugly. Can you guess what it is? Hint: under 30 feet. I think three guesses will be enough. Please begin.

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

Doesn't get any better looking each time...

Awlgrip Sea Foam. What's not to like?

22 minutes ago, Bull City said:

If I were more tech-savvy I'd post the other external shot of the thing. World's goofiest furling headsail.

3 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

If I were more tech-savvy I'd post the other external shot of the thing. World's goofiest furling headsail.

This one?

1682020736_ScreenShot2021-06-03at11_51_14AM.thumb.png.7529d3f437c03e5e2f7e202f4c55cd52.png

32 minutes ago, Bull City said:

At least the color makes a decent effort to blind the eyes, which would then enable you to avoid actually seeing the shape of the thing

53 minutes ago, Bull City said:

This one?

1682020736_ScreenShot2021-06-03at11_51_14AM.thumb.png.7529d3f437c03e5e2f7e202f4c55cd52.png

Yes that one. The aluminum lightpole on the foredeck for the radome is thicker than the mast, I think.

As I look at this view, it begins to resemble a PT Boat. The reverse sheer, the windscreen, the paravanes... it just needs some torpedo tubes and a gun mount on the foredeck. A gray-green paint job would help. 

Can you imagine her on a beam reach in a 24 knot breeze, John Wayne at the controls, foredeck gun spitting lead and flames, torpedoes flying from the tubes, paravanes stabilizing...?

I'm leaving for Sarasota with my check book!

image.png.227591ead6de956147b71cb12294540f.png

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

As I look at this view, it begins to resemble a PT Boat. The reverse sheer, the windscreen, the paravanes... it just needs some torpedo tubes and a gun mount on the foredeck. A gray-green paint job would help. 

Can you imagine her on a beam reach in a 24 knot breeze, John Wayne at the controls, foredeck gun spitting lead and flames, torpedoes flying from the tubes, paravanes stabilizing...?

I'm leaving for Sarasota with my check book!

image.png.227591ead6de956147b71cb12294540f.png

Careful Bull - you'll get into all kinds of trouble

John Wayne Goes to War: Duke's WWII Films of the 1940s - Mostly Westerns

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Bull City said:

More importantly, what are these things? The "paravains for stabilization?"

2096445021_ScreenShot2021-06-03at11_53_47AM.thumb.png.eedf49b70893fde0c158d77f59ee3cdd.png

1. They look like outriggers for the larger furling genoa (?) in the other picture - tradewind/downwind sheeting angles

2. I thought this picture under sail was a trick of perspective or camera lens until the other picture of it at anchor confirmed the proportions are in fact real. 

3. Disappointed that the cruising speed is only 7-8 knots under power. I was really hoping it had some sort of monstrous inboard that would have it doing about 15 knots with a stern wave that would set of tsunami warning systems all along the coast

13 hours ago, NZK said:

1. They look like outriggers for the larger furling genoa (?) in the other picture - tradewind/downwind sheeting angles

There is a wire going from the end of the windward outrigger into the water.  The boat may be stabilised by paravane. 

I found the listing and there are no pictures of the paravanes.

To answer Bull City's question, paravanes are foils on strings, like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF4A2Wf2alM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ9qwAQ_ofQ

But the wire seems to pull nearly straight down, so it may be more like what you see here, about 10 minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYp8eVApLrg